Buffy the Vampire Slayer

A New Man

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Jan 25, 2000 on The WB

• Buffy joins the Initiative

The Good;

Everything with demon Giles but I also adore the scene where Giles and Ethan get drunk together.

The Bad;

Couldn't Giles just write 'I am Giles' on a big piece of paper? Or is the point that he's too embarrassed?

Best line;

Walsh; We thought you were a myth

Buffy; Well you were myth-taken.

Knocked out;

Giles comments that he has a tendency to get knocked on the head.

Jeez!;

Mucus!

Kinky dinky;

Giles comments that Ethan and Giles are older than him and 'Not as attractive'. Riley says that he likes it when Buffy is in charge.

Calling Captain Subtext;

The whole Giles/Walsh scene and him scaring her later. Willow and Tara's rose magic session is filled with Sapphic hints. Giles calls the Initiative commandos 'nancy'

Giles thinks Ethan is telling him he's very attractive. He's actually talking to the waitress but I know what we all thought for a moment.

Guantanamo Bay;

The Initiative are tapped into the emergency telephone system and Riley has a key to open every shop in Sunnydale. He also has the power to haul Ethan off to indefinite detention at the end of the ep. Again this is all pre-War on Terror, Joss appears pretty prescient.

Where's Dawn?

How did she and Joyce celebrate Buffy's birthday?

Missing scenes;

Loved to have seen this;

Waitress (looking at Ethan's note) "You're not Roger Moore!"

Ethan; "Yes I am. Tell her Ripper"

Giles (drunkenly) "What? Oh, he's not Roger Moore"

Apocalypses; 5, Riley comments that he needs to learn the plural

Questions and observations;

Unfortunately the last time we'll see Ethan Rayne although he does return in the comics. Very nice to have a Giles-centric episode as we haven't had one in a while. Riley has personally killed 11 vamps and 6 demons. According to Boo's figures however here's the rest of the scoobs.

Kills:

Buffy: 74 vamps, 26 demons, 5 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 5 vamps, 1 demon

Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon

Will: 4 vamps

Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Faith: 16 vamps, 5 demons, 3 humans

Xander: 5 vamps, 2 zombies, a demon, a demon

Anya: a demon

As Buffy birthday's go this one is actually pretty successful? But does anyone really ever get suprise parties like that? I heard that Robin Sachs is actually an expert martial artist and that Peter O'Toole's wife left her husband for him. Anya still working on her humanity, Buffy refers to Riley as her boyfriend for the first time. First hints of something sinister in the Initiative. Tara back, yay! Byebye to Giles' Citreon. Magic shop again. We already see that Buffy won't blindly follow orders like Riley will. The motel Ethan stays in looks the same one as Faith used to stay at.

Marks out of 10; 7/10