Buffy the Vampire Slayer

After Life

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 09, 2001 on The WB

• Brilliant!

I feel "After Life" is a seriously underrated dark and haunting masterpiece. There's basically no action, so I can see why it doesn't appeal to the casual watcher. But, there is a load of excellent and important symbolism, one fantastic scene after another, juicy insight into the characters' thoughts, great acting, and a chilling, haunting atmosphere.
  • Season six still a little slow

AFTER LIFE

The Good;

Buffy rediscovers her life and confesses to Spike the truth

The Bad;

Not bad but lacks lustre

Best line;

Anya (on a books and coffee joint becoming just a coffee joint) "It's like evolution only without the getting better part"

Jeez!;

Spike self-harms a recurring theme in the series.

Kinky dinky;

Xander says he feels the need for some 'vigorous doing'.

Captain Subtext;

Buffy glances at Joyce's picture. Was she with her in heaven? Dawn bathes and dresses Buffy although you wonder how she didn't notice her bloodied knuckles before? Contrast the hug Buffy gives Dawn in 'Bargaining' and the one she gives her at the end here, obviously she's adapting to life again and has rediscovered her love for her sister.

Apocalypses; 6

Wes: 1

Anya;2

Dawn; 1

Kills: 1 demon for Buffy

Buffy: 96 vamps, 36 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 5 vamps, 2 demon, 1 human, 1 god.

Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon

Will: 6 vamps + 1 demon +1 fawn.

Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human

Riley; 18 vamps + 7 demons

Spike; 3 vamps and 2 demon

Buffybot; 2 vamps

Tara; 1 demon

Scoobies go evil: Anya (who is VERY Evil Dead when she's possessed) Dawn, Xander

Giles: 1

Oz: 2

Joyce: 2

Xander: 3

Recurring characters killed: 10

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce

Sunnydale deaths;

89;

Total number of scoobies: 6

Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Tara, Spike

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Cordy: 1?

Buffy: 3 confirmed; Angel, Parker,Riley, 1 possible, Dracula(?)

Angel: 1;Buffy

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley

Xander: 2; Faith, Anya

Willow: 2;Oz and Tara

Riley; 3; Buffy, Sandy and unnamed vampwhore

Spike; good or bad?

Spike hints at Darkwillow. His confrontation with Xander is entirely justified. Buffy starts once again to turn to Spike

Questions and observations;

According to Dawn Joyce used to say 'Wash your neck or plant potatoes'. Not sure if it's deliberate but Kristine Sutherland is from Idaho 'The Potato State' so maybe this is something she really did say? Here we have Dawn taking care of Buffy to a huge extent, emotionally and physically. Great scene where the rest of the Scoobs are crowding Buffy and she tells them all to back off.

Spike claims to have clawed his way out of a coffin but we see no evidence of this in 'Fool for Love' or 'Lies my parents told me'.

Marks out of 10; 6/10 the season still trying to find it's feet

• The Jet-Lag From Hell

After Life-An unseen force is taking over the Scoobies one at a time. Could this possessing spirit be somehow connected to Buffy's return from beyond?

Awww, it's feels good to be back writing Buffy reviews again! I've been meaning to finish my last reviews of Season 6 and 7, but never got the chance to and haven't written a review for Buffy since '08. Well, now being on Season 6 of by Buffy re-watch, I finally get a chance to and "After Life" seems like the perfect start. Just re-watching it, it's probably one of darkest (if not the darkest ever) episode of Buffy (and coming from Season 6, that makes it quit the standout!) What I love about it is that continues to unravel the consequences of Buffy's resurrection by showing just how disconnected she seems from the world, not just from her friends and Dawn. The scene where Dawn re-introduces Buffy back home is indication of not only how Buffy has changed but how much the world she once knew isn' t thesameanymore. The way she walks around the house and barely recognizes her own house is really sad. I have to say, Sarah Michelle Gellar reallyexcels during these first few episodes, showing Buffy's monotone and discomfort, even fear after she comes back. It's truly surreal and tragic. Another standout performance is James Masters. The moment Spike realizes that he's looking at Buffy and not the Buffybot is truly riveting stuff as well as Spike's sadness and anger when Xander confronts him after he sees her. Sure Spike is happy that Buffy's back, but he's not stupid and knows that bringing back Buffy was an awful thing to do to her, not to mention has dire consequences.

The demon plot is actually pretty brilliant not only proving Spike right but by being the first consequence of Buffy's revival having on the Scooby Gang. By bringing back Buffy, they've created some sort ofincorporeal demon that terrorizes them, leading to some of the most disturbing and terrifying scenes of the series. The first being Buffy attacking Willow and Tara, pretty muchangry over what they had to do to resurrect Buffy (or more so what Willow had to do), then there's Anya gigging as she's cutting up her face and Dawn breathing fire at the Magic Box. Also, not really a moment involving the demon but the moment where Buffy sees all her old pictures turn to skeletons still gives me chills! While "Bargaining" introduced to a darker world without Buffy, "After Life" is really the episode thatsolidifiesjust howdark this season is and how far the writers are willing to go to show how dark the characters are becoming, especially Willow. The scene between her and Tare before they go to sleep is serious indication of how selfish Willow is becoming. She's kinda mad, even pissed off that Buffy hasn't thanked her for bringing her back, which is a pivotal moment for Willow. She's beginning to realize just how powerful she is and wants Buffy to be grateful for saving her when Buffy has saved Willow countless times in the past and never asked for a "thanks" in return. One of the most fascinating arcs of Season 6 isdefinitelyWillow's descent into darkness through her growing addiction of magic aka a metaphor for drug addiction. At this stage, everyone is pretty much in denial about it, especially Tara. When Xander confronts her about Willow not being to honest with them about the spell and the possiblerepercussions, Tara defends Willow without even thinking about it. But in the back of her mind, Tara has always known Willow's growing power was dangerous, like in "Tough Love" when they had their first fight yet Tara continues to deny the truth because she loves Willow and doesn't want to lose her. Luckily, Tara gets a true wake up call during the scene when they are doing the spell to make the demoncorporeal. It's another chilling moment as Tara sees just how powerful and horrifying Willow is becoming bycompletingthe spell on her own with ease. Black eyes and all!

It's also intriguing seeing Buffy going to Spike for some sort of comfort, not once but twice. Spuffy is one of the developments this season that gets the most flake from fans, but after re-viewing this episode, I can see why. There are a lot of comparisons drawn between Spike and Buffy this episode, from them both crawling out of their own coffins to their bruised, bloody knuckles and lastly, their isolation from the rest of the world. Spike doesn't really right with demons or humans, he's simply just living his undead life a day at a time, which is kinda where Buffy is now at this point in her life. It makes sense that she would feel more open talking to Spike than her own friends. Spike opening up to Buffy about dreaming of saving her every night was touching. Buffy soon returns that openness with one of the mostdevastatingscenes from the series. After Buffy basically lies to her friends about being in a hell dimension to make them feel better (not to mention Willow), she soon after delivers the mostpainfulconfession of her life: " I was in heaven". It's a truly heart-wrenching development, beautifully acted by Sarah and I love how Spike is at a lost for words, who wouldn't be? Because honestly, she was betrayed by her friends in the worst possible way and nothing will ever make it right! "After Life" is a superbly dark,boldlymorbid hour that sets into motion the tragic character deconstruction that is Season 6 and shows that Buffy (both the character and the series) will never been the same...ever.

• After Life

After Life was a superb episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode had a great story that follows up the return of Buffy. With magic there is always a price and this episode shows the gang dealing with their price for what they have done. There were a lot of interesting interactions between the characters in this episode. We learned more about where Buffy has been, and how she really feels. This is a great episode that sets a tone for the episodes to follow. There were some haunting moments as a few of the characters got possessed and looked pretty scary. I can't wait to see how this season unfolds!!!
  • "I think we screwed up; she's broken" - Anya

This episode concludes what is essentially the three-parter dealing with Buffy's resurrection before we get onto the meat and potatoes of S6. It is very dark; almost every scene is set at night, reflecting the tone of the ep. Buffy, sensitive to light after so long in the grave, sits in the shade during the scenes shot outside, wearing black. Inside the house, she wanders around trying to see what has changed. Furniture has been moved out to accommodate Willow's stuff, Willow and Tara are in Joyce's room, Willow's laptop is on the dining table. Willow has taken over Buffy's life, just as she took over her death. Willow, on the other hand, is full of arrogance, impudence and carelessness. "We got you out, we really did it," she tells Buffy. The "fact" that the Slayer was in hell is repeated over and over without anyone actually asking Buffy about her afterlife. Xander, after listening to Spike's: "The thing about magic is that there's always consequences - always!" speech is more questioning of Willow (albeit via Tara) and asks if Willow could have known that something might go wrong, but no-one seems to question Willow's assertion that a heroine who had died saving the world would be in hell. Willow keeps assuring the gang that Buffy will be OK ("It's worked fine, it's all good"), whereas Anya and Tara are more perceptive and think that something is seriously wrong. The only negative thing Willow considers is "what happened was intense" – the spell was all about Willow. She goes on to say: "If things did go right, you'd think she'd be happier": Willow wants gratitude and more than that, she wants recognition. This is important when we come to the climax of the series when Willow complains of being "a sideman" to the slayer. She wants acknowledgment that she is powerful; she has become used to being the leader and part of her doesn't want to rescind this. She never admits that she could have been wrong. This tension between Buffy and the witch who ended her peaceful death, is played out at the end of the season.

Those not involved in the spell connect better with Buffy. Dawn takes the mom role as she washes and dresses the beaten and battered Buffy and warns the gang to back off when they crowd her, wanting to quiz her rather than care for her. But even she tells Willow: "You can't give her back to me and then take her away again!" – Buffy belongs to everyone but herself. Spike understands immediately why Buffy's hands are bruised and bleeding and although his claim that he too clawed his way out of his coffin isn't corroborated when we see later flashbacks, his connection - his own bloodied hands and his own death and involuntary resurrection -makes him the ideal confidante, they are linked. Moreover, he is the innocent party in this episode, not having taken part in the resurrection and it's no wonder that Buffy turns to him, she doesn't owe him anything, she doesn't have to pretend with him. She seeks him and his crypt out, she is looking for dark and death. She notices his cut, just as he noticed hers. He talks to her rather than questioning her and he tells her that he still loves her, in his dreams: "Every night I save you." In this series where black and white turn the very greyest shade of grey and where humans can be very bad and demons good, Spike does, in a way, save Buffy. Willow's insistence that Buffy was in hell also leads the gang down the wrong track when the demon starts to attack them. As they research, Buffy wanders through the graveyard and at one point she is silhouetted against a statue of an angel. As Tara says about the sunrise: "I'm seeing it from the wrong side" – they don't realise that Buffy was in heaven, they're looking at the demon the wrong way. It didn't hitchhike from hell with Buffy, it was created by the spell: "A side-effect, a price". Willow may be playing the adult, leading the research, even as she admits that she's a "poor substitute" for Giles, not realising that Buffy wants her "dad" back rather than a learned person, but it's Xander who actually is the adult as he realises: "This spell, we did, it's having consequences". The demon reiterates the young people struggling to be adults theme of S6: "Do you know what you did? You're like children". It reveals to Willow and Tara what Willow did to the deer: "Did you cut the throat, did you pat its head? The blood dried on your hands, didn't it? You were stained. You still are." Willow lies once more and says she doesn't know what it means, but it could be read that Buffy is the innocent fawn in Willow's games:- "Did they even give you a choice?" the demon asks Buffy. Tara and Willow try to corporealise the demon with Wicca chanting until Willow goes black-eyed and bad; the black energy is still coursing her veins. Buffy fights the demon and wins but she still has a lot of demons to fight before the end of the series.

After the struggle, Buffy is once again wearing light coloured clothes, standing in the bright sunlight with perfect hair making sandwiches for Dawn, remembering her responsibilities, playing the part. She has to make Dawn's lunch, she has to reassure her friends. She feels responsible for their happiness. It seems that there has been a payoff as she delivers her ambiguous speech: "You guys gave me the world, I can't tell you what it means to me." She has not said thank you but Willow, egotistical to the end, tells her that she's welcome. The gang hug but we saw the death mask photographs, the gang will be split by the end of the series.

And then the coda. Buffy joins Spike in the shade and tells him that she was in heaven, and was "torn out by my friends". Heaven was knowing that everyone she "cared about was alright". There were no demands on her, she was at peace, was "finished". And then she walks out back into the sunshine, into the bright, hard, violent world and life that she has to live.

The mystical side effects of the spell are dissipated (until S7 at least) but the emotional ones are not. As the demon said, they are stained, the nadir is a long way off yet.
  • Season 6, Episode 3.

An unseen force tagged along with Buffy when she came back to life, and it is slowly taking over all of the Scoobies one by one. Meanwhile, Buffy confesses to Spike that she was in Heaven, and that her friends pulled her out of there.

This episode was pretty good. Buffy's closer and closer to being normal again, but she's acting weird. Her friends pulled her out of Heaven! :( On another note, I like how Anya's hair looks so far this season. The season seems like it's having a slow start and the feel is definitely different, but I can see some potential in this season. I'm waiting for Buffy to be back to normal for there to actually be a storyline. Not bad so far, though.
  • Buffy's back from Hell or Heaven?

7.8
    I can't believe that Buffy told Spike where she had been! I liked that she did though because her lying to her friends was amazing but the fact that she told Spike was something completely better.

I did like the beginning of the episode with just Buffy and Dawn they were amazing. It was great seeing that sister bonding thing they had. Dawn was great when she was just trying to remind Buffy where she was and take care of Buffy. I loved when Spike came in screaming at Dawn for running off the way she had and then him realizing that Buffy was back.

The gang put way too much on her when they found her. I hated them in this one. They really were selfish bringing Buffy back the way they did. Then Willow complaining to Tara about how Buffy didn't say thank you. Willow was terrible and I know I couldn't stand her.

The demon that crossed over with Buffy was just lame. I loved when it possessed Dawn though 'cause the fire breathing thing was awesome. The gang should have known that, that would happen because like Spike said Magic always has consequences. It was creepy how that thing possessed everyone and all but it was totally lame. The not corporeal thing was cool about it though. This was just a really lame episode it seemed like it was Buffy dealing with getting back a little Dawn/Buffy bonding and Willow and the others being horrible.
  • "I think I was in Heaven"

- After Life -
    (Summary)

The Scooby gang hurries down an alley in search of Buffy. Willow is convinced the Slayer has gone home, and Xander promises to lead them there quickly. Xander is reassuring the wimmins that he's large and in charge when a Hellion rides by on his hog and startles Xander into shrieking like a little girl. Because of the death of their leader, or to wrap up dangling plot points from the premiere, we get some exposition about the Hellions fleeing Sunnydale. The gang frets about whether they actually saw Buffy, and whether she was brought back "broken." Willow is vehement that Buffy is fine, but is probably "disoriented" from her experiences in Hell. Tara worries that perhaps Buffy is now dangerous. Buffy and Dawn are on the front walk of the Summers house. Dawn gently tells Buffy that she's home and Buffy just stares, her brow crinkled and her face stupefied. Inside the house, Buffy blinks when Dawn turns on a light. The Buffster slowly surveys the living room and then frets, "It's different." Dawn, frantic to please, babbles on about Willow and Tara moving in and then about interior decorating changes they've made since Buffy, well, you know, died. Buffy notices a picture of her mom and then silently walks into the dining room. Dawn follows her, still babbling. Her sister gives her that crinkled-brow look and heads upstairs as Dawn chatters. A little while later, Dawn and Buffy are in the bathroom. Buffy has changed her clothes and; washed, cut, colored, and deep-conditioned her hair, it looks like. Dawn wets a washcloth in the sink and gently wipes some dirt off Buffy's neck, crooning to her like a mother to a child.Dawn tries to crack a joke, but Buffy doesn't respond; she just stares into the mirror. Dawn suggests that Buffy button up her shirt and then notices Buffy's bloody, damaged hands. In a sad little gesture, Buffy hides her hands at her sides, fingers curled up tight. Dawn promises to bandage her sister's hands and then starts buttoning up her shirt. Buffy suddenly turns and walks away, into what was Joyce's room. She looks around at the changes that Willow and Tara's tenure have brought. Dawn tries to explain why the witches have taken that room, but when her sister wanders off again, she follows her and urgently asks, "Buffy? Do you want to stop? We can sit down and talk." Buffy is still not making eye contact and eventually says, "What else is different?" Dawn struggles to understand if Buffy means in the house or in general, and then tells her that Giles left. Buffy bows her head. Somewhere in the house a door opens, and then Spike yells out, "Dawn! Dawn, are you there?" Dawn calls back and heads downstairs. Because he's been so worried, Spike rants, "You. I could kill you. I mean it. I could rip your head off one-handed and drink from your brain-stem." Dawn gestures at Buffy descending the stairs; at first Spike thinks it's the Buffybot. Realization that Buffy has come back slowly creeps over his face; he looks shocked, then seems to melt. Buffy ducks her head shyly and finishes buttoning up her shirt. Spike wants to know what Dawn did to bring Buffy back. Dawn insists she had nothing to do with this. Spike notices Buffy's hands (she quickly hides them) and gravely tells Dawn that Buffy "clawed her way out of her coffin." Then he finally addresses Buffy: "I've done it myself." He gazes at her and then shakes himself, instructing Dawn to get some disinfectant and bandages. He gingerly starts to guide Buffy to the sofa with his hand, but then jerks it away. Sitting in the living room, Spike holds Buffy's hands gently. She asks how long she was gone and he promptly replies, "One hundred and forty seven days yesterday." Buffy says it seemed longer where she was. As Dawn brings the bandages into the room, Tara, Willow, Anya, and Xander rush into the house. They surround Buffy and begin asking questions. Spike grimaces and walks directly to the front door, closing it firmly behind him. Inside, Dawn asks how the gang knew Buffy was back, but they ignore her and continue to pepper the Slayer with questions. Dawn demands they back off and realizes that Willow is the one responsible for her sister's return. Buffy assures everyone she's okay, but doesn't want to talk about her experience; Xander offers to bring food, but Buffy seems overwhelmed and says she just wants to go to bed. Willow agrees but adds, "But, Buffy, be happy. We got you out." Buffy deflects any more questions and asks Dawn if her room is till the same.

Smash! Something glass breaks right over the sleeping Willow and Tara. They wake and spot Buffy at the end of the bed. She makes with the crazy talk, which includes calling the witches "filthy little **** rattling the bones," but also includes some references to Willow's fawnicide. Rant, rant, and she throws another glass knick-knack. Willow flips on the light, but Buffy's gone and there's no broken glass in their bed. The witches peek into Buffy's room; she's asleep in bed. Back in their room, Tara suggests that they dreamt the incident but Willow reminds her, "Different brains." At Xander's, Anya and Xander are in bed. Xander is sleeping, but Anya can't. she talks to Xander and bugs him to wake up, but he doesn't until the phone rings. As he reaches for the phone, Anya climbs out of bed. Willow explains that something attacked them, and Xander suggests they get out of the house. In the background, Anya walks back into the room. Suddenly we see the scariest damn thing I have seen in a long time. It's a close-up of Anya. She giggles maniacally and slashes her face open with a knife, Her eyes are blank white orbs. Anya cackles and cackles and cuts and then slumps to the ground when Xander snatches the knife away. We see that now her face is uncut. The bubble from the Summers' house glides along under the carpet and then out of the room.

Next day. Xander, Anya, Willow, and Tara are sitting in the sun in the Summers' back yard. Xander exclaims, "Very bad. Very, very, very bad. Bad!" Anya suggests that the entity is a "hitchhiker" that caught a ride on Buffy's soul as it was released from Hell. She frankly concludes that it was a bad idea to bring Buffy back. They discuss whether they can kill the entity, and then Buffy arrives on the scene. She looks wan, but much better in a tasteful black blouse and jeans. Tara asks if she feels okay, but Buffy ignores the question. Anya informs her that she brought a demon back from Hell with her, but Willow assures Buffy she needn't worry. Slowly, with difficulty, Buffy explains how the photographs the night before changed to look like "dead bodies." The Scoobies are so happy to have Buffy back. She just says, "We should get to work."

Spike pacing in his crypt. He plays a bit of bloody knuckles with the wall. The wall wins. Spike's really fixed up the place; it looks like he's got a wet bar down there, and a red dentist's chair. Spike hears a noise from upstairs and, grabbing a machete, he goes to check it out. Upstairs, he finds Buffy, staring off into the distance. He warns her to be careful,"You never know what kind of villain's got a knife at your back." Buffy notices that Spike's hand is injured. "Hmm," he muses, "Same to you." Buffy seems to be discomfited by this reminder and hides her hands behind her back. Spike tries to make some small talk, inviting Buffy to take a seat. He sits across from her and gets down to business. He haltingly tells her that he hasn't forgotten his promise to protect Dawn and then says, "If I'd've done that. Even if I didn't make it. You wouldn't have had to jump." He goes on to reveal that he did save Buffy: "Not when it counted of course, but after that. Every night after that every night I save you."
  • Buffy's trying to adjust...she was dead, remember!?

I really liked the beginning of season 6. I mean they had to find some way to bring her back and Willow messing with the magic was just the perfect way to start the season, I think.
    What I loved about this episode were the scenes with Buffy and Spike. Seeing her again and realizing she was not the robot, but herself - I think James Marsters' acting was great. "Except I guess the day doesn't count, does it?" It's one of my all time favourite scenes.
    Well, and then she told him she thought she was in heaven and it almost made me cry. I've watched it a long time ago, but seeing it again always gets me all excited to see how it goes on with the Scooby gang...
  • buffy was in heaven

one of the best episodes of the show. a little creepy as buffy brought some monster from where she was and it is possessing everyone and makes dawn spit fire andanya cut herself and that was awesome!!! but this episode was not only scary and bloody it was also touching as buffy tells spike at the end that she was in heaven and her friends tore her out of it and this world is really hell. that was very moving andonly scene ever i liked of those togetger. very nice episode
  • This episodes ends with one of the most surreal, breathtaking scenes of the series.

The episodes following Buffys return to life are different from the rest of the show, as it should be. They are gloomier, with less story and more psychology, and they surely dont have much Scooby-feeling to them.
    I'm impressed with how the creators have managed to break out of their regular photography and by doing so allowed us feel the surreality that Buffy must be experiencing.

The oddly pale sun-scene in which Buffy tells Spike the nerve-chilling truth is a perfect example. You can almost hear the flies buzzing in the heat.
  • This is one of the best of this awesomely season. it's really dark and emotional. That demon was pretty cool when it possed the gang but the best was Buffy telling Spike where she really was at the end of the episode.

After Life

This episode is really awesome. it's one of the darkest of this season. I think it's really great. and that last scene is where Buffy tells Spike everything. and that she was in hell. I never expected that. This episode is sad and dark and scary. just awesome.

cut to the gang walking together. they see that the bad guys are leaving town. Anya thinks they screw it up but Willow says she's alright and they think she's home. cut to Dawn and Buffy home. Dawn says Buffy is okay now.

the credits start

They go inside and Dawn shows Buffy everything that changed. and that Willow and Tara live there now. cut to later. Dawn cleaned up Buffy. she only doesn't understand about her hands. Then Dawn continues to show Buffy about the house and then Spike yells. He’s really worried and then he sees Buffy and realises that she's back. Spike asked Dawn what she did but she didn't do it. Spike then sees her hands and it's because she had to dig out her coffin. Then Dawn goes away and Spike tells Buffy that she was gone for 147 days. Then the gang comes in and they start to ask Buffy all kinds of questions and Dawn realised that they did it. Buffy doesn't really wanna talk about it and she says she's gonna go to bed because she's tired.

cut to Anya and Xander coming out and Anya doesn't believe Buffy is alright. then they see Spike and he was crying. he's mad because they didn't tell him and he says it was because there was a chance that Buffy wasn't gonna come back right. Spike leaves and says that magic has always consequences. cut to Willow and Tara's room. Willow comes back and she says that she called Giles. Tara tells Willow not be always strong. and they go to bed. Willow has a lot on her mind. she wanted Buffy to say thanks to her. Tara says she has to come around. cut to Buffy in her room looking at some pictures that the turn into corpses.

cut to the room again. Buffy throws a glass and scares Willow and Tara and then they turn on the light but Buffy isn't there anymore and there is no glass. then they go to Buffy's room and see that she's sleeping. they go back and don't know what is going on and then Willow sees something in the house so she is gonna call Xander. cut to Xander. Anya is annoying him and then the phone rings and Anya goes away. Xander talks on the phone and then Anya comes back and she's cutting her face and then falls on the ground but her face is ok again.

cut to next day where the gang is talking about what's going on. Anya thinks it's a hitchhiker. they only need to kill it and then Buffy joins them. and then Buffy tells them about the pictures. they are still very glad to have her back. cut to later where they are finding out what the demon is. Buffy isn't really in it and she says she's gonna go and when she leaves we see Dawn's eyes white. cut to later and they see Dawn with those white eyes and she then spits out fire and almost burns them. then Dawn comes by and she doesn't remember. cut to Spike hitting his hand. he goes upstairs and he sees Buffy. he tells her that in his dreams he always kept saving her everynight.

cut to the magic shop. then Willow says that the demon is not a demon they let out but a demon they made. because it's like a price for bringing Buffy back. and the Demon doesn't have a body and the only way to live is by killing Buffy. and then Xander becomes the demon 'Thanks for the tip!'. cut to Buffy coming home. the demon is right behind her. she goes into her room and the demon attacks her but she can't hit it because it doesn't have a form. cut to Xander, Dawn and Anya driving but Xander is going very slow but he can't and he says that Willow and Tara is gonna make the demon solid. cut to Willow and Tara doing the spell and then cut to Buffy again. the demon becomes solid and now Buffy can see it. the others are watching when Buffy cuts off it's head.

cut to next day. Dawn is going to school and Buffy gives her, her lunch and is acting normal. and Dawn says that the only thing that her friends want is to see Buffy happy. cut to Buffy going to the magic shop and tells the guys that she was in hell and is very thankful that they brought her back and that she can't tell them how much it means to her that they brought her back and then they hug. cut to Buffy and Spike outside. and then Buffy lets it all out. she says she thinks she was in heaven and is now torn out of there by her friends. everything here is hard and violent and that this is hell. and that it hurts too much knowing everything that she lost. and then she starts to walk away and tells Spike that her friends can never know. and then leaves leaving Spike all shocked.

Black Out

Best episode quotes:

Spike: Dawn! Dawn! Are you there?
    Dawn: It, it's just Spike. I'm here!
    Spike: Thank God. You scared me half to death ... or more to death. You - I could kill you.
    Dawn: Spike.
    Spike: I mean it. I could rip your head off one-handed and drink from your brain stem.
    Dawn: Look.
    Spike: Yeah? I've seen the bloody bot before. Didn't think she'd patch up so-
    Dawn: She's kind of, um ... She's been through a lot ... with the ... death. But I think she's okay. Spike? Are you okay?
    Spike: I'm ... what did you do?
    Dawn: Me? Nothing.
    Spike: Her hands.
    Buffy lowers her hands, puts them behind her back, looks uncomfortable.
    Dawn: Um, I was gonna fix 'em. I don't know how they got like that.
    Spike: I do. Clawed her way out of a coffin, that's how. Isn't that right?
    Buffy: Yeah. That's ... what I had to do.
    Spike: Done it myself. Um ... We'll take care of you. Come here. Get some stuff, uh, mercurochrome, bandages.
    Dawn: Okay.
    Buffy: How long was I gone?
    Spike: Hundred forty-seven days yesterday. Uh ... hundred forty-eight today. 'Cept today doesn't count, does it? How long was it for you ... where you were?
    Buffy: Longer.
    Dawn: Got the stuff.
    Willow: Is she here?
    Anya: She's here!
    Willow: You're here.
    Xander: We didn't know where you were.
    Anya: You ran away.
    Willow: Buffy!
    Tara: Are you okay?
    Dawn: You knew she was back? How did you know?
    Anya: You're not a zombie, are you?
    Xander: Anya!
    Willow: Are you in pain?
    Xander: What do you remember?
    Tara: What do you know about what happened?
    Dawn: Hey! Back off! You did this. What did you do?
    Willow: A spell. We, we did a spell.
    Anya: We didn't think it worked, but-
    Dawn: Is she going to be okay?
    Buffy: I'm okay. I'm gonna be fine. I remember. You brought me back.
    Anya: What was it like?
    Buffy: I, I can't...
    Xander: It's okay. You don't have to talk about this, Buff. Hey, do you want something? Anything. Pizza. I'll get you pizza.
    Anya: Buffy likes pizza.
    Tara: Yeah, something to eat-
    Willow: She doesn't want pizza.
    Tara: I just meant-
    Dawn: Guys! Back off.
    Willow: Right, uh, Dawn's right. We should just be quiet, and let Buffy tell us what she needs.
    Buffy: I, I think I ... just wanna go to sleep.
    Tara: That's a good idea. You, you should sleep.
    Willow: Right. Long day. But, Buffy ... be happy. We got you out. We really did it.
    Buffy: Tired.
    Anya: Well, yeah. I mean ... jet-lag from hell has gotta be, you know, jet-lag from hell.
    Buffy: My room is still...
    Dawn: Yeah. Yes. It's your room.
    Willow: Well, she, she's fine! Normal! She used to go to bed all the time!

Anya: I think Willow's wrong. I don't think she's particularly normal at all.
    Xander: Well, she just got back. Give it time. I bet in a week she'll be our little Bufferin again.
    Anya: Oh yes, cause six or seven days, that's all you really need to get over eternal hell experiences.
    Xander: Who's that? Spike? What are you doing out here? I hope you're not going to start your little obsession now that she's around again.
    Anya: Hey!
    Spike: You didn't tell me. You brought her back and you didn't tell me.
    Xander: Well, now you know.
    Spike: I worked beside you all summer.
    Xander: We didn't tell you. It was just ... we didn't, okay?
    Spike: Listen. I've figured it out. Maybe you haven't, but I have. Willow knew there was a chance that she'd come back wrong. So wrong that you'd have ... that she would have to get rid of what came back. And I wouldn't let her. If any part of that was Buffy, I wouldn't let her. And that's why she shut me out.
    Xander: What are you talking about? Willow wouldn't do that.
    Spike: Oh. Is that right.
    Xander: Look. You're just covering. Don't tell me you're not happy. Look me in the eyes, and tell me when you saw Buffy alive, that wasn't the happiest moment of your entire existence.
    Spike: That's the thing about magic. There's always consequences. Always!

Willow: Hey.
    Tara: Did you get through to London?
    Willow: Yeah. He's gonna head back as soon as he can. I'm not sure, like maybe a couple days.
    Tara: How did he take it?
    Willow: Um ... I'm not sure. I mean ... glad, but ... kinda weirded out, which I get, you know? Lots of "dear lords". And I think I actually heard him cleaning his glasses.
    Tara: Are you worried?
    Willow: Worried? Tara, it worked fine. It's all good.
    Tara: Hey, Will, this is me. It doesn't all have to be "good" and "fine." This is the room where you don't have to be brave. I still love you. If you're worried you can be worried.
    Willow: Well ... I'm not ... unworried. I mean, what, what happened, that was intense. That's ... gotta change you. When Angel came back ... Buffy said ... he was wild. Like an animal.
    Tara: Buffy's not like that.
    Willow: Yeah.
    Tara: But?
    Willow: It's just kinda ... noisy up here tonight, you know?
    Tara: Yeah. Is this better?
    Willow: Yeah. I think it makes things quieter in here.
    Tara: You know what I think? I think we all just assumed crash positions.
    Willow: Huh?
    Tara: It's, it's, it's like ... we were all tensed up, like ... we were expecting it to screw up. We weren't prepared for it to ... actually go right.
    Willow: Yeah. Tara?
    Tara: Yeah?
    Willow: If things did go right ... wouldn't you think she'd be ... happier? Like, wouldn't you think she would be so happy that we brought her out?
    Tara: Sure she is. You thought she'd say thanks. Be more grateful.
    Willow: Would I be a terrible person if I said yes?
    Tara: Give her time. She'll get there.
    Willow: Right. No need to be in a big furry hurry.
    Tara: Exactly. I'm sure it's okay.

Willow: Buffy?
    Buffy: What did you do? Do you know what you did? You're like children. Your hands smell of death. Bitches! Filthy little bitches, rattling the bones. Did you cut the throat? Did you pat its head? The blood dried on your hands, didn't it?
    Tara: Oh my god, oh my god.
    Buffy: You were stained. You still are. I know what you did!

Anya: Xander, are you up? I can't sleep. Play a word game with me. Xander, are you awake? Okay, I'm going to describe an adjective with accurate but misleading clues, and then you have to guess what it is.

Xander: Very bad. Very, very, very bad. Bad.
    Anya: He's all traumatized.
    Willow: Well, whatever it is, it's not the, the traditional haunting, because i-it's not limited to one specific place, and there's not, you know, a dead person.
    Tara: Not any more.
    Anya: I bet it's a hitchhiker.
    Xander: A hitchhiker?
    Anya: Um, standard way to travel through dimensions. Uh, some demon-thing sees someone moving between worlds, and grabs on for the ride.
    Willow: You mean like, some hell-beastie rode in with Buffy? Like ... we're responsible for this?
    Tara: Assume crash positions.
    Anya: I think we shouldn't've brought Buffy back. I knew it was going to end badly. I should've said something.
    Xander: Okay, fine, but ... what are we gonna do? I mean, I'm feeling the need for some vigorous doing, you know?
    Willow: It's okay. We, we just kill the beastie and then all is good. We're rolling in puppies! ... Right?
    Xander: Can we do that? Kill it?
    Buffy: We killing something?
    Willow: Buffy! You're not supposed to be up.
    Tara: How, how are you feeling? Are you okay?
    Buffy: So what are we killing?
    Anya: A demon you brought back from Hell with you.
    Buffy: Oh.
    Willow: It's not like she's making it sound. A little haunting-type stuff. Boo-scary, everything's normal.
    Tara: You shouldn't worry about it.
    Buffy: Um, I remember something, last ... night, uh...
    Xander: Buff?
    Buffy: Um ... the photographs. O-of us. They changed.
    Tara: How did they change?
    Buffy: They were ... dead. I-I-I mean, we were dead. Like, um ... dead bodies? But, but then they were okay. So I just, you know, figured it was me. That I was going crazy.
    Anya: Well, maybe you are. Going crazy. From Hell. No. You're fine.
    Willow: You are. And Buffy, we're, we're so glad.
    Xander: Yeah. This thing, this haunting thing, we'll fix it, and then we'll still have you back, which is ... it's so important.
    Willow: Yes.
    Tara: It's wonderful.
    Buffy: We should get to work.

Anya: Uh, coffee, coffee, coffee, um, hot chocolate for Dawn. You're too young for coffee.
    Dawn: Idiot.
    Anya: You can have my coffee.
    Dawn: All of you did it. You stupid children. Did you think the blood wouldn't reach you? I smell the death on you. Look at what you've done!
    Xander: Fire! Fire! Fire!
    Tara: Dawn!
    Willow: Oh my god, oh my god. That was it. Li-like Buffy, with fire.
    Xander: Is she okay?
    Anya: Did I look like that? I hope I didn't look like that.
    Willow: No, I'm sure you looked really glamorous cutting up your face.
    Dawn: What ... what is it? What's happening?
    Willow: You'll be okay.
    Anya: I bet you'll experience some dry-mouth. Fire.
    Dawn: Was it ... did the demon thing have me?
    Tara: It's okay. It's okay.
    Xander: Yeah. It's gone.
    Anya: Yes, but where did it go? I mean, evil things have plans. They have things to do.

Spike: Buffy. You should be careful. Never know what kind of villain's got a knife at your back.
    Buffy: Your hand is hurt.
    Spike: Hmm. Same with you.
    Buffy: Right.
    Spike: Willow's getting pretty strong, isn't she? Bringing you back. It's hard to get a good night's death around here. You can sit down. Got furniture. You should see the downstairs, too, it's quite posh. Uh ... I do remember what I said. The promise. To protect her. (pause) If I had done that ... even if I didn't make it ... you wouldn't have had to jump. But I want you to know I did save you. Not when it counted, of course, but ... after that. Every night after that. I'd see it all again ... do something different. Faster or more clever, you know? Dozens of times, lots of different ways ... (softly) Every night I save you.

Willow: Thaumogenesis!
    Anya: She's possessed!
    Willow: Thaumogenesis.
    Dawn: You're right.
    Willow: I'm not possessed. I-I think I figured it out. This demon, i-it's not a demon we let out. It's, it's a demon that we made.
    Xander: We made a demon? Bad us.
    Willow: Thaumogenesis is when doing a spell actually creates a being. In this case it was like, a, a side-effect, I guess. Like a price.
    Dawn: What?
    Willow: Think of it like, the world doesn't like you getting something for free, and we asked for this huge gift. Buffy. A-and so the world said, 'fine, but if you have that, you have to take this too.' And it made the demon.
    Anya: Well, technically, that's not a price. That's a gift with purchase.
    Dawn: Um, but, if we made the demon, how come we can't see it? I mean, all we see is us. Doing stuff.
    Willow: Well, I, I think it's out of phase with this dimension. Like, its consciousness is here, but, but its body is caught in the ether between existing and not existing.
    Tara: It doesn't have a body, so it's borrowing ours. I-it borrowed Dawn and Anya...
    Willow: Or, or it's manifesting copies of them, like, like it did when Buffy came at us...
    Tara: It's using them to do stuff. To scare us, attack us.
    Xander: So we need to uncreate it, right? We need to send it the rest of the way out of our world.
    Willow: Uh-huh. Except that ... it's linked to the spell. So, if we sent it away ... it would be like the spell doesn't exist. Like it never happened.
    Dawn: Like it never brought Buffy back.
    Willow: Yes.
    Dawn: You can't do that. You can't think for a second that you're going to do that.
    Tara: Dawn-
    Dawn: If you think you can give her back to me and then take her away again? No. That's worse than if you'd never brought her back. You can't mess with people's lives this way!
    Willow: Dawn, we're not going to do it that way.
    Dawn: How can you let her do this? How can you even talk about letting her go?
    Tara: Honey, you're not listening. She said we will find another way.
    Xander: We will.
    Dawn: Then do it!
    Willow: Wait. Wait. Dawn. Everybody hold on.
    Anya: What? Why are you smiling? That's inappropriate.
    Willow: Because it's temporary.
    Xander: What is?
    Willow: The demon. I-it's gonna dissipate. The only way for it to survive on this plane is if it were to kill the subject of the original spell.
    Tara: It would live if it killed Buffy?
    Willow: That's not gonna-
    Xander: Thanks for the tip.

Dawn: Xander! Drive faster!
    Xander: I can't!
    Dawn: I could drive faster and I can't drive!
    Anya: She's right, you're like a snail. A snail who's driving a car very slowly. Come on, give it the lead foot! We've got to help Buffy with that demon you sent after her!
    Xander: I did not send the demon, I was possessed. The demon used me to eavesdrop on our conversation.
    Anya: Great, so now what? We have to talk in some sort of anti-demon secret code?
    Xander: Ood-gay idea-yay, An-yay.
    Dawn: Stop talking wrong in Pig Latin and drive!

Willow: Buffy! Hey!
    Xander: Hey, you get Dawn off to school all right? 'Cause I was thinking, if you need help picking her up, I...
    Buffy: It's okay. I got it. Look, you guys, um, there's this thing ... so I'm just gonna say it. You brought me back. I was in a ... I was in hell. I, um ... I can't think too much about what it was like. But it felt like the world abandoned me there. And then suddenly ... you guys did what you did.
    Tara: It was Willow. She knew what to do.
    Buffy: Okay. So you did that. And the world came rushing back. Thank you. You guys gave me the world. I can't tell you what it means to me. And I should have said it before.
    Willow: You're welcome.
    Xander: Welcome home, Buffy.

Spike: Buffy.
    Buffy: Spike, it's daylight and you're-
    Spike: Not on fire? Sun's low enough, shady enough here. I was gonna go inside, but I overheard you and the Super-friends exchanging a special moment and I came over a bit queasy. Say, aren't you leaving a hole in the middle of some soggy group hug?
    Buffy: Just wanted a little time alone.
    Spike: Oh, uh, right then.
    Buffy: That's okay. I can be alone with you here.
    Spike: Thanks ever so.
    Buffy: Right.
    Spike: Buff? ... Slayer? Are you okay?
    Buffy: I'm here. I'm good.
    Spike: Buffy, if you're in ... if you're in pain ... or if you need anything... or if I can do anything for you...
    Buffy: You can't.
    Spike: Well, I haven't been to a hell dimension just of late, but I do know a thing or two about torment.
    Buffy: I was happy. Wherever I ... was ... I was happy. At peace. I knew that everyone I cared about was all right. I knew it. Time ... didn't mean anything ... nothing had form ... but I was still me, you know? And I was warm ... and I was loved ... and I was finished. Complete. I don't understand about theology or dimensions, or ... any of it, really ... but I think I was in heaven. And now I'm not. I was torn out of there. Pulled out ... by my friends. Everything here is ... hard, and bright, and violent. Everything I feel, everything I touch ... this is Hell. Just getting through the next moment, and the one after that ...knowing what I've lost... They can never know. Never.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 10
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 10
  • Buffy Anne Summers is alive. Willow and company have brought her back from the dead, and she is having a hard time adjusting. Giles returns from England when he hears about Buffy's return. An incorporeal force is trying to kill Buffy so that it can stay i

This episode is very eerie. Mostly the silence makes it eerie. If one can't take the silence of this episode, I beg you not to watch "The Body". If this unnerves you in any bit, you will be pulling your hair out while watching "The Body". Anyway, Buffy is very silent. She doesn't talk much, and she averts people's eyes. Anya puts in better words: "A jet lag from hell has gotta be a jet lag from hell." To put it simple, Buffy is tramautized. Everyone is busy feeling sorry for her, mostly Willow, and Dawn is just elated to have her back. Spike slams Xander against a tree. "That's the thing with magic, there's always consequences," Spike tells Xander. And consequences come. A "Hitchhiker" from a demon dimension got on the ride when Buffy was coming back to earth, and she wants to kill Buffy to inhabit her body. The thing possesses everyone before finally they reveal the secret to staying in this dimension, killing Buffy. He then runs off with Xander's body. Buffy decapitates the thing and life returns to whatever you can call normalcy in Sunnydale, California. The outstanding part of the episode comes when Buffy tells Spike that she was at peace in heaven, that her friends ripped her out, and that this is hell. She walks into a beautiful late autumn day as Spike looks at her, stunned.
Ted