Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 14, 1997 on The WB

• everybody has a skeleton in the cupboard!..

wow! it's just the most romantic episode since the beginning of the show (though I know it's not the most romantic in entire series!). this storyline is just so... can't find the right word to define it... it's just really great! smth like "The Beauty & the Beast" -- the Slayer & the Vampire... the couple that is not meant to be but they are... Sarah and David look amazing in their scenes together. and even I'm not Angel's fan and prefer Spike, I miss Buffy/Angel time.

the Darla's death kinda shocked me 'coz I really wanna see her in the show (glad she'll appear in "Angel" then -- love Julie Benz).

actually, I have a lot to say (or write) about this epi. but I guess I'd better come to the conclusion that this episode is one of my favorite in the first season -- to be honest, it takes 2nd place after "Prophecy Girl"!

FAVE SCENE: Buffy/Angel in the end of epi.

FAVE QUOTE: Buffy: For us to have a conversation about a guy, there'd have to be a guy for us to have a conversation about. Is that a sentence?
  • Angel

In my second Buffy review, I mistakenly referred to Angel's past as having been revealed in the series' second episode. I made that goof because I mixed up information I'd gleaned from one of the DVD featurettes with information I'd obtained from actually watching the show. And now I'm really regretting having watched that featurette, because it would've been so much sweeter to learn about Angel for the first time from this episodeand would've been more genuinely startling if I hadn't already seen the moment where he transforms from hunk to monster after a kiss from Buffy.

Despite the spoilers, "Angel" was still the best Season One episode I've yet seen. I've enjoyed every Buffy I've watched-with the exception of one after thisbut "Angel" is the first installment since the two-part pilot that really lives up to the series' premise. It has twists, drama, dark humor, deep sorrow, sexual tension and a subtle exploration of a significant theme. It's also well-directed by the great Scott Brazil, a former Hill Street Blues helmer who'd later help shepherd The Shield to glory.

We begin by meeting The Three, a trio of super-vampires tasked by The Master to take out Buffya job they're well on their way to completing, before Angel intervenes. The unhappy couple flees The Three and takes refuge at Buffy's house, where they share a little sexual tension, thena day laterthe kiss that stirs up Angel's evil side and terrifies our heroine. Meanwhile, determined to curry favor with The Master, hot schoolgirl Darla decides to persuade Angel to re-join her on the dark side of vampirism. Her plan? To get Buffy to turn on Angel, and then for Angel to kill Buffy. Her method? She weasels her way into Buffy's house by pretending to be a classmate, takes a bite out of Buffy's mother Joyce, then shoves Joyce into Angel's arms just before Buffy comes home.

Part of the beauty of "Angel" is the way it slyly converts a standard piece of vampire lorethe idea that vampires can only come into your home if you invite themand uses it to illuminate some ideas about "family" in the Buffyverse. Typically, writers use the "vampires have to be invited in" idea to imply that everyone has a little wickedness in them, and that succumbing to vampires is really a matter of a giving in to an impulse that's already there. In the Buffy The Vampire Slayer episodes I've seen, the good guys are outcasts who cling to a private hope that they can be normal, and maybe someday Thus Buffy invites in a vampire who's a prospective boyfriend, and Joyce invites in a vampire who looks like an ordinary schoolfriend for her daughter, and Angel is tempted to leave behind his refrigerator full of stolen blood bags to join Darla and The Master and what they both describe warmly as, yes,

The rest of the beauty of "Angel" is the way it exploits the ambiguity raised by this theme to tease and bait the audience. Having seen Sunnydale High's principal get devoured just one episode ago, we can't assume that Darlaor Angel!won't kill Joyce, nor do we know whether Buffy will realize that the whole Angel-about-to-chow-down-on-her-mom thing is a big misunderstanding. For all we know, Buffy might just kill Angel. Xander certainly wants Buffy to do her sworn duty as The Chosen One, because it'll eliminate a key rival for her affections, and edge him that much closer to living out his dream of

And there are also a multitude of character touches, funny bits of dialogue, and milieu-enriching moments that make "Angel" a significant episode. I like how The Master comes off as half Proud Papa with Collin, and half sarcastic smartass. I like how Buffy's first encounter with The Three reveals her as vulnerable, really for the first time on the show. I like how Buffy's chaste sleepover with Angel involves her lying to her mom, just like any other horny teenager. I like how when Buffy asks Angel if he snores, he forlornly says, "I don't I like how Giles' request that Buffy learn to master the quarterstaff prompts her to complain, "I'm not going to be fighting Friar I like how when Buffy thinks Angel has been reading her diary, she snappishly points out that when she refers to "A" she means "Ahmed, a charming foreign exchange student," and that contrary to what she may have written, Angel's eyes are "bulging, not I even like that a good chunk of the episode takes place before, during and after The Bronze undergoes "a fumigation"a neat nod to the business of this episode and this series.

But mostly I love that when Buffy kisses Angel goodbye, she leaves him with a cross-shaped scar on his chest. A perfect ending to pretty much a perfect episode.
  • Angel

A S1 episode that's actually relevant beyond the scope of itself? Could it really be true!? It is!! This actually feels more like an early S2 episode that is saddled with S1's production values and musical score. "Angel" is simply bursting with romantic excitement and nascent sexuality, so much so that I felt it spark off of Buffy during several key scenes. Sarah Michelle Gellar really nailed getting those feelings across in a very understated yet potent performance. This is one of the few S1 episodes that I actually felt, and it also serves as a strong setup to S2's themes of first love, blind romanticism, and forgiveness.

One of the more successful recurring elements of S1 so far has been the growing romantic tension between Buffy and Angel. Buffy verbalizes how powerful her feelings are to Willow: "When he is around it's like the lights dim everywhere else." As their relationship continues to evolve, though, several road blocks between them both direct and indirect -- do as well. The Three, while quite lame, serve their purpose in getting Angel in Buffy's house where their mutual attraction (and the actors' chemistry) is quite palpable. The other side of that attraction is the look on Joyce's face ("uh huh") when she sees her daughter hanging out with this attractive older guy. The dance between young romance and consequences is something that will thrive in S2.

In the first scene in Buffy's room, Gellar continues to act the hell out the moment; you can feel her excitement, yet also the innocence in her eyes. This excitement continues when her unfiltered giddiness at sleeping right next to a very polite Angel is shared with her friends the next day. Willow can understand the excitement, but Xander is expectedly not pleased.

All of this build-up explodes during what I'd describe as one of the most well built-up kisses I've ever seen on television. The show has earned its way up to this moment quite well, so rather than feeling like something common it instead plays out as memorable. This is also precisely why the subsequent reveal that Angel is a vampire works even though I know ten times over that it's going to happen. The fact that I can still be moved by all this is a testament to the build-up and the acting. This is representative of the difference between a cheap one-off shock and an earned character-based shock that has far reaching implications. This quality will become a staple of Buffy as a show, so it's wonderful to see the initial instances of it in action.

The Angel revelation has immediate implications for both the episode and the series as a whole at this point, some of which are set into motion almost immediately when Buffy asks Giles if a vampire can ever be a good person. Giles gives her a very one-dimensional answer that while not entirely false belies the whole truth (not that I think Giles is lying, but rather is simply misinformed), and that's even putting aside the whole soul/soulless issue. The landscape is a lot more complex than the Watchers' Council position indicates. Spike, Drusilla, Angelus, Vampire Willow, and others will spark a lot of debate and interpretation in the seasons to come, which will make for quite an interesting ride. Right here, though, Angel is the very first kink in the gears towards the show's initial take on demonic nature and the meaning of a soul.

All of this comes to a head when Buffy goes out to kill Angel after she thinks he attacked her mom. Buffy gets the edge on Angel, but she decides to spare him and asks him "Why? Why didn't you just attack me when you had the chance? Was it a joke? To make me feel for you and then..." This is when Angel explains the curse to Buffy, and she clearly feels he's being genuine. The fact that Buffy's willing to risk being bitten to confirm Angel's story speaks even further volumes to both her instinct and the depths of her feelings for him.

While "Angel" is definitely focused on Buffy's side of things, it doesn't shy away from shedding more details on Angel himself. A lot of this material is exposition-y (and not all that interesting when one already knows the details), but seeing things from Angel's perspective was needed. We can see that while Buffy's trying to balance slaying, school, and romance, Angel's juggling with his demonic nature, desire for amends, and becoming romantically invested in someone for likely the very first time in his soul-having existence. Right now the thing both Buffy and Angel have in common is their mutual attraction and newfound investment in each other. As their relationship evolves, it'll end up in a much more aware and mature place in which Buffy comes to understand and help Angel through some of his struggles, and vice versa. Of course the moment Angel finally starts believing in his own potential as a person, we see that he no longer belongs in Buffy's world. Before we can reach that point (S3), though, reality is going to come crashing down on their blinding romance (hello S2).

Although the central plot is certainly intriguing enough, there are some nice subtleties in "Angel" that shouldn't be overlooked. For one, there's that super fun training sequence between Buffy and Giles. Beyond just being awesome, it's also interesting in how Buffy learns the hard way that becoming "proficient with the basic tools of combat" is trivial compared to becoming proficient with the basic tools of life, as will be demonstrated again and again in the coming seasons.

There's also this fabulous little scene where, in the hospital, Joyce asks Giles why Buffy struggles with history so much. Giles' response is as metaphorical as it is literal. He tells Joyce that Buffy "lives very much in the 'now' and history, of course, is very much about the 'then.'" I can't help but think this really speaks to Buffy as a person who always has her own way of getting things done and has a tendency to subvert what's expected of her in a positive way. In light of this, she often ends up ditching the old ways of doing things.

All of this leads to the sublime final scene, where Buffy and Angel both admit that their relationship can't happen, yet they can't pull themselves away from each other. This unstoppable attraction will only grow between now and "Surprise" [2x13] when the other shoe drops. For now, though, both the viewers and the characters get to enjoy being washed over by this initially blissful nave romanticism, with a tone-setting and aptly titled song playing in the background that alludes to it all falling apart. "I'll Remember You" indeed, with a cross burned onto my soul.

"Angel" is one of the only episodes of S1 that puts it all together. While it's definitely still held back a bit by many of S1's usual sore appendages (music, etc.), thereby creating a few rough edges, the episode succeeds despite them due to some excellent acting by an electric Sarah Michelle Gellar and a rapidly improving David Boreanaz. The episode also sports a lasting, relevant story that will have character-based implications that reach far beyond it in of itself. "Angel" gives us an appetizer of the kind of Buffy magic that lies ahead, and I can't help but love it for that.
  • Buffy and Angel aren't convincing.

The thing with Buffy and Angel's relationship is it's just not convincing.

This is only the 7th episode, and Angel has appeared only a few short times to give Buffy advice about the Master and such. It was nothing more than that. It's understandable that Buffy would have a crush on him because of his charm and mysterious good looks, but for them to just have this connection and for Buffy to hesitate when Xander asked if she was in love with him? Come on now...

So the Master recruits "The Three" to go after Buffy, and Angel comes to help her out of it. Buffy quickly invites him into her house. Boy, it would have been awkward if she didn't actually say it out loud wouldn't it? Considering we find out that Angel is actually a vampire.

OMG! I totally didn't see that coming! ... Okay, I already knew. This isn't my first time watching this show. But come on, wasn't it kind of obvious? We only ever see Angel lurking around at night, never in the day. And he just has this... vampire vibe. If that makes sense.

We see more of Darla, and we find out that she was the one who actually turned Angel into a vampire over 200 years ago. It was nice to see her again, but it's too bad she gets dusted so soon. But that won't be the last time we see her.

So as you can tell, this isn't a favourite episode of mine. Maybe it's biased because I do not ship Buffy and Angel together, but isn't that the point of a review after all? To state my opinion about it?

It's a fine episode, but it's too focused on Angel who I find to be a very dull character. But I guess since the episode is called "Angel" I'll let it down easy.
  • The series finds it's feet

Angel;

The Good;

Awesome fight scenes with both The Three and at the Bronze. Lovely stuff with Buffy intrducing Angel to Joyce, wonderful scene between Angel and Darla hinting at great things to come. I love Joyce's denial over the barbecue fork and Cordy's rage over the girl in the same dress. The big shock that Angel is a vampire which I must say I didn't see coming at all (he gives Buffy a cross in WTTH but it's in a box!). Love the diary misunderstanding too and the shock of Buffy coming home to see a bleeding Joyce in Angel's arms.

The Bad;

The Master's killing of The Three (lame name or what?) is stupid. Also they seem to give up awfully easily, that or Joyce just walks right past them? (maybe they know better than to mess with momma Summers?)

Best line;

Buffy "Stay the hell away from us!"

Observations and questions;

Anyone else disturbed by The Master's relationship with The Anointed? Joyce is the first cast member to be bitten by a vamp (although despite being a huge part of the series she's never actually a Scooby) whilst Angel is the first to be shot. Why don't vamps use guns more often? According to Joss it goes against their demonic nature. We have Xander dancing, always a treat. Angel kills his first vamp onscreen although we later learn he's killed at least 2 prior to this. The first of the many deaths of Darla

Here Buffy really kicks into high gear, the Buffy/Angel romance is set on it's course, we see the Darla/Angel relationship for the first time, it turns an OK show with an attractive cast into a brilliant show

5/5

• Angel's secret revealed

This episode was good. It reveals Angel as the first vampire ever to have a soul, which will lead up to the Big-Bad of the second season, a main story-arc of the third season, and a spin-off of Buffy, Angel. This episode also shows Darla's death, and the first time that the Master is ever truly furious. This is a great episode with a couple of great twists; first when Buffy finds out that Angel is a vampire, then when Buffy finds out that Angel is a vampire with a soul, and that Darla framed him for biting Joyce and all of the other evil things that Buffy thought Angel had done. This episode was truly great.
  • The Master sends out The Three – a trio of warrior vampires - to finish Buffy once and for all. The situation pushes Buffy and Angel closer together - but she discovers an unexpected secret about him. Not one of my favourites at the time, but a key ep...

This review contains spoilers.

Although I didn't particularly take to this episode the first time I ever saw it (not being such a fan of the slushy romance side of the series back then), it now stands as one of the key episodes of the entire series, for obvious reasons. I also confess to liking the episode far more than I originally did, now my tastes have matured (allegedly).

"The Three" that the Master sends out to get rid of Buffy are somewhat of a red herring – they look set to be the archetypal "monster threat of the week", but in fact they are gone within the first twenty minutes of the story, not slayed by Buffy, but by Darla, at the command of the Master, disgusted by their failure.

So of course the main thrust of the episode is that Angel turns out to be ... a vampire! Who woulda guessed it. Although I'm not particularly into the whole slushy romance side of things, I did feel that it played out very well here, with good performances from both Sarah Michelle Gellar, and David Boreanaz, and some nice dialogue.
    Some have commented that this episode plays like an (arguably better) version of 'Twilight'. A female friend of mine has forced me to watch 'Twilight' (it wasn't my choice – honest!!), and I can definitely see the comparisons.

As always, particularly with the first season, there is some light relief elsewhere in the episode, again as pretty much always, mostly coming from Xander and Willow. I love Xander's various goofy attempts to put Buffy off of Angel, and his various boasts himself (such as the time he drank a gallon of Cool-Aid, with an "ick factor later").

The episode also sees the dusting of Darla at the end. Julie Benz plays the role devilishly perfectly, with that Joker-esque smile. Thankfully, it's not the last we see of Darla in the Buffy / Angel universe.

In many ways, "Angel" is a sign of things to come in the show, with character developments as prominent (sometimes even more prominent) than the "threat of the week" storylines.
    Although I wasn't overtaken with the episode when I first saw it on BBC Two way back when (though didn't DISlike it), I've come to appreciate it more now. Although not one of my all-time favourite 'Buffy' episodes, it does hold some key developments that are key to the future course of the series. I give "Angel" a respectable 9 out of 10.
  • Put simply, this episode was a better version of Twilight.

Human girl falls for with a vampire that no longer kills people. Their love is forbidden and his limits are tested but they both come out alive.

Though Twilight had almost the exact same storyline, I didn't like it but I loved this episode! It could be because the acting was a thousand times better and the vampire with the face of an angel was actually attractive.. who knows. Anyway, I'd been rooting for Buffy and Angel to get together since the Pilot so I was, of course, very excited to see this episode. Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz have amazing chemistry which really made this episode great.

But they didn't get too carried away with the romance, which was good. There was still a lot of action, and plenty of twists in the plot. All in all, a very good episode!
  • Finally an episode with something

Ok so as with all the love going on in Buffy it's like this.

Willow loves Xander, Xander loves Buffy, Buffy loves Angel Cordelia loves herself and Giles loves his library and books.

So Angel has been this reoccuring character that shows up for a couple of minutes and gives advise about bad things to Buffy. He is tall dark and handsome and totally hot so Buffy falls for him because he's not a dork like Xander. The 3 in this episode were wasted. They looked good they should of kept them going. 1 slip up and they were toast. I know the bad guy has to be mean and in doing so has to kill his own men. Anyway Angel turns out to be a vampire. shock. And so Buffy can't go out with him because he is a vampire and she is Slayer. But Angel turns out to be nice vampire and wants help.

End of Darla Vampire. she was okay another evil vampire out of the way. I bet Buffy wishes she killed her earlier.
  • Angel

Angel was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy and Angel's budding relationship is put to the test in this episode. This is the staging ground for what is to come. The episode also gave us insights into some of the other characters as well. I really enjoyed watching the story of this episode unfold, and it was interesting to learn the truth behind Angel's secret. It was a shame that we lost Darla so soon. She was a really great vampire. I think that this is a crucial turning point in the characters lives, though they don't know it.
  • Season 1, Episode 7.

After Angel saves Buffy from a group of three vampires, their relationship gets more intense and their love begins to blossom, after Angel reveals his true feelings. The two kiss and Angel transforms into a vampire, and Buffy doesn't know what to do.

I loved this episode. The plot was so good and it was very entertaining and gripping to see Buffy conflicted. I loved seeing Joyce in danger too! It really looked like Joyce was dead. However, she wasn't, and I loved when Buffy wanted to kill Angel. He's too sexy to kill. I loved seeing his sexy body shirtless. Rawr. Excellent episode!
  • So our gorgeous, crypic, possible love-interest is a vampire- the only one in the world with a soul. With our heroine being a vampire slayer, this can only mean one thing....MAJOR EMOTIONAL ANGST!!!

After alot of crossed wires and misunderstandings, Angel explains his story to Buffy. After hearing his explanations and along with some information that Giles has managed to uncover, she realises that she can never have what she wants. While at the Bronze they agree, that despite their strong feelings for each other, it's not realistic for them to pursue any kind of relationship. The intense farewell kiss at the end of the episode shows, that when Buffy walks away, the imprint of her cross has been seared into Angel's chest, he doesn't even flinch and all he can do is watch her walk away.

We all know that this relationship can't, shouldn't and won't work- but unfortunately, thats exactly what makes us want it too! Beautiful story, beautiful words and beautiful acting, its an A+ in my book.
  • Great revelation about Angel is probably old news now.

This was a great episode that contained a very important revelation about Angel. I won't spoil it for anybody but, if anyone is familiar with the series or the spinoff series, they probably already know. It is a bit like the Darth Vader revelation in Empire Strikes Back in that it was shocking at first, but common knowledge now.

This episode had some great dialog, as most of the early Buffy episodes do, but it wasn't as light-hearted as most of the first season episodes. That's a good thing. The Buffy series is a great mix of comedy, romance, drama and a little horror, and this episode is a great example of what fans will be in store for in the next two seasons.
  • OMG angel reveals his true and inner self

i absolutly LOVE this episode 'cause when i watch it it give's me goosebumps 'cause i think david boreanaz is soooooooo hot. the first ime i watched it i nearly cried because of the look on buffy's face when she sees his true identity wich he should of told her before she made the move and kissed him. But it is really funny when she think he read her diary, i would of been so embarassed. some people think angel as MR. big brown eyes and too much hair gel but i think of him as tall dark and handsome. I am soooo jelous of sarah 'cause she got to kiss one of te hottest guys eva. but he is way too old for me anyway.
  • Buffy battling for her life, Angel swoops in and rescues her. Brought closer together, but Angel's dark secret tears them apart. Another fight to the death, this time with each other, but Angel explains his secret, they dust another vamp together.

This episode was revealing. It was shocking. It was fantastic! The plot was sound and the stunts were great. The twist really brought Angel's character to life (not literally!). It really showed how hard life can be for the slayer, never quite knowing who to trust, who to turn to. I love the way Angel's character is developing, and i hope his story continues to unfold. This particular story line has set up an opening for more of Angel's involvement in the future, and I for one am glad of it. He brings something special to the table, something that makes thisshow more original as it progresses. Overall i thought it was a really great episode.
  • Angel reveals his real face

Angel helps Buffy figth The Three and they escape into Buffy's house. There comes (in my opinion) the best part of BTVS. Angel takes off his shirt. Angelic... We see the tatoo and the cross. The cross, which was not supposed to be there, but that does not matter. What matters is that Buffy and Angel get really close and it gets intense. Really intense. But then the magic is gone as Buffy's mom comes home. Angel sleeps in Buffy's room and the next night he reveals his real face, when Buffy and he kiss. He turns to vapire, scares the hell out of Buffy and runs. Then his annoying ex Darla sets Angel up, when she bites Joyce. Buffy thinks he did it. She haunts him and tries to kill him. Instead she kills Darla. I must say, Angel was the reason I watched Buffy, cause he was so sexy, mysterious, dangerous and interesting. And of course, I admire the script. Really well written!
  • Cryptic Guy finally show who he really is! A vampire!

This is the best episode in season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is the episode i watched the most in the entire season 1. i loved the part where buffy was rambling bout her diary and angel was talking at the same time bout his feelings. The part where buffy found out angel is a vampire was really exicting. tho it was expected that angel would be someone she could never be with. Story in tv shows are always like that. The last part was sad and very romantic. it was one of the best moments in the entire season. i especially love angel at that scene. you can feel his feelings at that scene. overall, almost every part of that episode was interesting. two thumbs up!!!
  • Buffy Discovers that Angel is a vampire!!

This is one of my favourite episodes in the first season. It is definitely the one that I have watched most!! I like the way this episode marks the beginning of The Buffy and Angel relationship which means this is a very important episode for the rest of The Buffy and Angel series'. I was kind of surprised when I realised that Angel was a vampire but he had been very secretive for weeks. I really enjoyed watching the fight beetween Buffy, Angel and Darla. I was worried when I first watched it because I thought that Buffy was going to kill him. This is also a very important episode because it marks the beginning of The Angel and Darla relationship(for us not them).
  • Angel is a vampire. Who would have guessed.

In this episode, I finally am convinced that this is a great show. I was intrigued by the character Angel, of course, and how Buffy was going to kill him. The whole plot of the episode left me entranced in front of the TV. The brilliant action was fast paced and enjoyable. The death of the character Darla in this episode was a huge score. I couldn't stand seeing her ungly face any more. Blah. Well, back to the episode, I thought that SMG really shined and showed what she's made of. The character Angel just got more interesting, so I look forward to seeing him again. This is the first episode of the show that made me say, "wow," after it, and I trust there will be more of those to come. The characters couldn't have been better in this episode; every line they said was genius. Here's to the first amazing episode of Buffy!
  • Creeptic Guy gets a Backstory

Angel-After Angel saves Buffy from a gang of vampire warriors, their relationship starts to become more intense. As their love blooms, Buffy learns that Angel has been hiding a dark secret. She hesitates, not sure what to believe, but when Angel's secret puts someone she loves in danger, she knows what she has to do.

At this point, Angel has pretty much been this big blur. He seems to know a lot about the Master and vampires in general, yet we never really knew why until now. What makes "Angel" the best episode of the season so far is that this is where the series began to create it's own mythology and one of the greatest romances on the small screen. All the scenes between Buffy and Angel are great as Sarah and David begin to show their chemistry together. The way they flirt with each other and when they have their first kiss is all played out well by both actors.

The revelation of Angel being a vampire is also played well and the characters' reactions are great. I loved Xander's "You're in love with a vampire/You're in love with an empire" lines. But the best part is finding out Angel's past and about the Gypsy curse. Joss Whedon almost gave up on the idea of a vampire with a soul but I'm glad he kept it because it's a genuis development. It makes Angel into a much more interesting character and a lot less of a one-dimensional character his been so far. David does well by conveying his struggle with being this unique vampire and battling between both worlds. Also, Julie Benz is great as Darla as the character also gets some needed development and we find out she was Angel's sire, not to mention they were both together for over a century. The scene where she attacks Buffy's mom is also well executed as she turns Buffy against Angel. The episode ends with a great conclusion as Darla popps out some guns and has a shootout at the Bronze to kill Buffy only for Angel to stake her in the end. But this isn't the end for Darla! All and All, a great episode that gives us a wonderful backstory for Angel and many great scenes between Buffy and Angel.
  • Finally we know why Angel is so mysterious.

I remember waiting for an episode like this and this episode tied everything together. This is my favorite episode in season 1, and at lesat in my top 20 episodes of all time. The chemistry between Sarah and David was dynamic. I absolutely love it! The way we find out that Darla is Angel's sire is a great twist. It helps set the stage for furture episode. It definitely is the biggest plot twist of the series thus far. The scene at the Bronze at the end is one of my favorite scenes. Buffy and Angel kissing, and her cross burning her chest. If you for some reason haven't seen this episode I would advise you to do so.
  • Be my vampire.

Angel’s history has, up until now, been somewhat of a mystery. He’s the tall, handsome brooding guy who just turns up with a cryptic warning. Angel was never really one of my favorite characters in season one, especially not in his first few appearances, but in this episode, solely dedicated to him and his back-story, I can’t help but love him. Angel’s story has always been one of the most intriguing and epic of the series, and I still remember how gripping I found it the first time around. David Boreanaz gives an amazing performance throughout, and he really gives the character of Angel depth.

‘Angel’ also sees the beginning of the Buffy/Angel relationship, something I’ve always found thoroughly overrated. It’s something about their larger-than-life love story that just bores me, but in the beginning, I really enjoyed it, and all the scenes concerning Buffy’s struggle not to like him and Angel’s doubts whether he should even be near her are heartbreaking and genius. Especially the last scene of the episode, with the kiss and the cross is one of the most powerful endings to a Buffy episode ever.

The villains of the episode are also top notch, and especially Darla is a hoot. Julie Benz is a riot of fun, and makes her character come to life like few other actresses would have. I was sad to see her go, but the fact that she will return in flashbacks and in Angel does comfort me. If there were one thing to complain about, I’d love to see some more comedy, and some more Cordelia, who was very abused during season one. But all in all, ‘Angel’ is one of the most powerful episodes of season one, and the first episode to really draw me deep into the series’ mythology and create a craving to watch more and more and more.
  • Buffy discovers the truth about Angel.

This is a great episode and is very important to the mythology of the series. This is the episode where Buffy discovers that Angel is a vampire with a soul. He tells her the abridged verysion of how he was cursed by gypsies and why. This episode sets up for the starcrossed romance that occurs between Buffy and Angel through the first three seasons...and beyond. Also this is the first time we get to see how good an actor David Boreanaz really is.
  • Angel and Buffy

This was such a sweet and beautiful episode. We all wondered what the deal was with gorgeous, mysterious Angel and we got to find out in this episode. To no ones surprise, Buffy is falling for Angel. He seems to be falling for her as well. All is fine and well until they kiss and he vamps out. Buffy (and all of us) freak out and want to know even more from that point. We find out his name was Angelus, one of the most brutal vamps ever. We also find out he moved to the new world at the turn of the century and shunned other vampires. Intriguing, no? Unfortunately Darla, his sire, is the masters pet and she is not ready to let Angel forget where he came from. He ends up dusting her in the end and he and Buffy share a kiss that proved that they were far from finished.
  • My Mini Review...

Best Scene:
    Angel killing Darla. For him to kill his sire is pretty impressive.

Worst Scene:
    This episode doesn't have one I love it.

Funniest Moment:
    The scene where Buffy thinks that Angel has read her diary and she goes into a big rant about how 'A' was someone else and how all of the good things she said could mean oter stuff. This always makes me laugh.

Best Quote:
    Xander and his usual jealously about Angel.
    Xander: Buffy, c'mon, wake up and smell the seduction. It's the oldest trick in the book.
    Buffy: What? Saving my life? Getting slashed in the ribs?
    Xander: Duh!

Worst Quote:
    I couldn't think of one!.

4th out of twelve.
  • One with the angelic face.

7.3
    Angel's a vampire, that's right The Slayer is in love with a vampire. What could possibly go wrong there? I did enjoy watching this episode, it was nice to see them give Buffy a serious love interest so early on but at the same time it was so obviously doomed from moment one. Then again Sarah (Buffy) and David (Angel) did seem to really work well together on screen though I think part of that was they could both pull off that passion that borders on pain which was required to pull off their on screen relationship. The end scene between the two is really a great example of this, them walking away from one another with a little twist of course. It wouldn't be Buffy without a little twist.
  • My favorite episode so far!!!

This is my favorite episode so far! There are so many special occurences in this episode. "Angel" has so many things in it like romance, jealosy, action, revenge, comedy, and suspense. Angel and Buffy finally has their first kiss. Xander finally shows that he really likes Buffy and Giles finally begins to accept Buffy having some sort of relationship. The group is really taking vampire slaying serious and upgrades to weapons. And Cordelia has her issues with other people as usual. This is a really special episode. It is must, must, must see for all Buffy or Angel fans! It is the best episode of all the ones I have seen.
  • The beginning of what will be the greatest romance of all time!

This episode is packed with so many great moments! Buffy and Angels first kiss, the Angel vampire reveal, buffy realizing that what she has with angel is more than just a school girl crush, angel killing darla to save buffy, Overall it is just such a great Buffy Angel episode. Angel saves buffy goes back to her house with her and spending the nigth in her bedroom until the next night, when it finally happens the kiss we have all been waiting for yes buffy and angel finally kiss and then it all goes to crap when angel loses his cool and goes into vamp mode.

this is one of my favorite episodes form season 1
  • Buffy's in love

This is the episode where we learn more about Angel and the lovestory between him and Buffy slowly develops.
    From the first eppy, there was something hugely mysterious about Angel and now we find out that he's actually a vampire.
    It was great to bring Darla in at this point and have her bite Joyce. For the first time, Buffy had to chose what to do and she decided to kill Angel. Luckily, she figured out the truth in time. And that kiss in the end was just great - also it had a lot of symbolic meaning. Buffy's crucifix necklace burnt into Angel's chest = their love is painful, but they can't help what they're feeling!
  • A brilliant and touching episode!

This episode centres around Buffy and Angel and only uses the master storyline as a filler.

When Buffy discovers that Angel is a vampire she has to kill him, but she can't because she has feelings for him. Then she thinks that he hurt her mother and for that she was about to plunge a crossbow bolt into his heart but she couldn't.

Similarly Angel could have bitten Buffyand then gone back to his previous life with Darla but instead he chose Buffy. . .Now that's love for you!

At the end of the episode where Buffy and Angel are kissing and they acknowledge that its painful, when you see that Angel has Buffy's crucifix necklace burnt into his chest, its soooo sweet. He really does love her.
< 1 2