Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Anne

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1998 on The WB

• Anne.

And S3 begins! I have very mixed feelings about this episode. What I really wanted to see here was a dark and gritty tale about Buffy's isolation. I wanted to see her slowly fix the emotional issues that were plaguing her from the events of "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22). I wanted this to last at least three episodes and be entirely focused on Buffy. Well, it's pretty obvious I didn't get what I wanted at all with this, but that isn't to say it's no good. On the contrary, it's a pretty solid episode with moments of genuine insight. It's just really not what I was looking for.

The episode begins with an amusing scene back in Sunnydale where the remaining Scoobies are attempting to keep the vampire population down and hoping that Buffy returns. Oz's failed thrown stake and subsequent "that never works" always cracks me up. My problem with this scene, along with all the scenes taking place back in Sunnydale, is that they, while amusing, feel like a lightweight distraction from what I really want to see: a runaway Buffy. That story is simply too important to combine it with Cordelia and Xander worrying about their hair style.

Anyway, I loved Buffy's dream with Angel on the beach. It shows a vision of all she truly wanted since becoming the Slayer: a nice normal boyfriend who she could spend a romantic evening on the beach with. "Buffy vs. Dracula" (5x01) shows her actually having a brief moment like this with Riley before everything quickly turns dark and rains them away. She then wakes up and we find out that she's been impressively taking care of herself in the real world. This makes it obvious that she isn't running away from 'responsibility' but rather just from being the Slayer. We can tell, though, that even through the depression Buffy is not fully hardened yet. She has taken the first step into adulthood but is still a young girl inside that basically just wants to be held. We find out later that this away-from-home experience made her realize for the first time that when it comes to Slaying she will always be alone; no one else can ever share that burder with her (until the beautiful end of the series).

One of the few scenes in Sunnydale I thought was meaningful is the Joyce and Giles conversation. She blames him entirely for being the cause of Buffy's disappearance. They have a really important exchange which brings out the focus of this entire episode: identity. Joyce says, "I blame you. You've been this huge influence on her, guiding her. You had this whole relationship with her behind my back. I feel like you've taken her away from me." Giles responds, "I didn't make Buffy who she is." Joyce answers, "And who exactly is she?"

During the summer, alone, Buffy has been thinking that she has two distinct parts to her being: the Slayer half and the human half. After the events of "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22) she wanted to completely rid herself of the Slayer 'half.' The problem with this, and what she ultimately realizes through helping the helpless Lily, is that she isn't two distinct halves. She is one whole which is evenly blended between the Slayer and the human. There is no separating the two. My answer to Joyce's question is that Buffy is a unique individual who posesses great strength and empathy, neither of which are completely related with the fact she is the Slayer. Being the Slayer amplifies her strength, but as we saw in a flashback during "Becoming Pt. 1" (2x21), Buffy possessed great inner strength before even knowing what being the Slayer meant.

The first moment when Buffy realizes that being the Slayer is part of her no matter what is when she decides to help Lily. Lily tells her she doesn't know what to do; she doesn't know how to exist without relying on others. As much as I really wanted a dark and gritty Buffy story, the theme of identity works pretty well. When caputured, the demon Ken tells the two girls, "What is Hell but the total absence of hope? The substance, the tactile proof of despair." We find out quickly that Lily is at the point of this dispair, but Buffy is certainly not. A guard walks up to the new group of slaves, asking them who they are. They must reply with, "I am no one" or receive a beating. When Buffy's turn comes she puts on a perky grin and completely regains her identity by responding, "I'm Buffy. The Vampire Slayer. And you are...?" This is a fantastic "I'm back!" moment and was well earned. Also, as a bonus we get a satisfying extended fight sequence where Buffy rips apart hoards of demon guards.

The final scene in Buffy's apartment with Lily is very intriguing. Lily gains confidence from her experience with Buffy and wants to 'become' her now previous persona, Anne. Lily still hasn't found herself yet, like Buffy hadn't while being Anne. But adopting the Anne persona makes her feel like something still with hope; someone who underneath the isolation has a lot of power and self motivation. While being Anne was a step backwards for Buffy, it proves to be a step up for Lily. This is a truly hopeful and heartwarming ending. It's also great knowing that 'Anne' will become a useful person in society when she appears on AtS.

I wanted an extended dark and gritty tale and I got something different. Since the writers took the lighter route I'm glad they had Buffy home at the end of the episode. The darker route I wanted would have warranted multiple episodes though. Overall this is a very good episode that misses the mark in a few places.
  • Glad to get back to Sunnydale

Anne

The Good;

Lovely to see Chantelle/Lily/Anne again. Great to see the slave rebellion. Love the long tracking shot around Sunnydale high, lovely cameo from Larry. Nice to see that Buffy can make it on her own but did anyone really doubt that she could? The gang's vamp hunting is hilarious. Terrific scenes between Giles and Joyce. The final scene when Buffy and Joyce hug is just too lovely.

The Bad;

Truly horrible what happens to the human slaves. Ricky's suicide is just awful

Wheldon Cliches;

Character death; None although Buffy still dreams of killing Angel

Knocked out; Buffy by Ken

Kinky dinky; Buffy as a slave but not of the sexual variety. Anne Summers is the name of a lingerie/sex toy chain in the UK.

Reccurring actor in another role; Carlos Jacott as Ken who'll later turn up as someone different in Angel and TSSC

Best line;

Giles; You musn't blame yourself

Joyce; I don't, I blame YOU. You've been this huge influence on her all these years

Questions and observations;

Surely a girl as attractive as Buffy could get a better job than waitress in LA? (Xander later wonders the same as he wants to know if Buffy met 'any nice pimps on her travels'?) 'Pretty Woman'? Belle du jour? Weren't Hooters or Spearmint |Rhino hiring? She's in LA, what about Playboy? (or would that mean Xander would be certain to spot her?). Ok I'm not entirely serious but honestly when did you ever see a girl as pretty as Buffy working as a waitress except in TV/Movies? (the other wise awful film 'The Last Action Hero' does a great joke on the theme). Plenty of fanfic with Buffy and indeed any or all of the Scoobygirls turning to prostitution over the years, my favourite ends with Revello Drive being turned into a high class bordello with Joyce as the madam and then eventually the same thing happening to the post-Chosen Slayer academy. Of course having now watched Dollhouse you wonder if Joss would actually be quite keen on the idea, especially after watching the scene with Eliza Dushku as a dominatrix.

Or is Buffy just trying to lie low?

Cordy refers to Xanders exes who are almost all demons, Preying Mantis, Mummy Girl, Dru in BBB. Xander nails his third vamp with some help from Cordy. Joyce is a sad figure in her summer alone without Buffy but at least in everyone's revised memories she has Dawn to keep her company (to judge from the comics and Dawn's chopstick story she always knew Buffy's secret). I'm always intrigued by the times the Scoobies got by without Buffy, I would love to see more on it in the comics.

One thing that does occur to me is that the weapon used by Buffy during the slave revolt (the wonderfully named hung-munga) actually resembles a hammer and sickle at some angles. I'm sure it's just coincidence but if this were the 50s I'm sure Joss would be hauled before the un-American activities board.

8/10 I think although that may be a little generous

• Anne

Anne, the first episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayers third season was a perfect start picking up a short time after season two's ending. We find Buffy now waitressing at a small diner in LA while the gang back home take up slaying duties. Buffy's Mom can hardly leave the house, and Giles is presistent in his search. Meanwhile in LA, Buffy runs into a familiar face, and soon after trouble finds her. It was interesting to watch Buffy fighting herself, who she really is. When the one demon asked, who are you?, she could not resist being herself. It was nice to see Buffy come home, and I look forward to seeing how every one reacts.
  • Season 3, Episode 1.

Buffy is still missing at the start of senior year. Xander, Willow, and Oz are fighting off vampires in the meantime. Buffy is apparently living another life as a waitress named Anne. This wasn't my favorite episode, but it was enjoyable. I kinda liked it. Ken is so weird. Lily was pretty weird too but I felt bad for her, considering her boyfriend died. Willow looks kinda weird with her haircut. I liked the long hair better. Alyson Hannigan just looks a lot better with long hair. Sarah Michelle Gellar looks awesome anyway. Cool premiere, I guess. It was enjoyable, definitely, especially the music.
  • Buffy is using the epithet "Anne" as she hides from her duties as a Slayer, and later has to fight to protect the homeless. Starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendan, Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter, Seth Green, David Boreanaz, and Anthony Head

The third season opener, and a good episode, but not one that i think should have opened up the season. The storyline with Buffy being Anne and the avoidance of being the slayer was amazing, and i really loved the character arc that they are putting Buffy through, and an amazing performance by Sarah Michelle Gellar, however the plot of the bad of the episode, i wasn't really a fan of. It was a little predictable that Aaron (guest star Alex Toma) was the evil guy, but i did love the return of someone from the past, Lily (guest star Julia Lee). I loved that the members of the Scooby Gang are trying to dust vampires even without the help of Buffy who was crucial. The horrible attempt by the gang, like Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter), Willow (Alyson Hannigan), Xander (Nicholas Brendan), and Oz (Seth Green) was hilarious and something that the show lost in the later seasons. This was a good episode, with shocking moments, like when Angel (David Boreanaz) came back, holy crap! But the episode should've been later in the series, and not a season opener, except for a few things like the Buffy character arc, and the return of Angel, and the gang fighting vampires without Buffy. So i only don't like the plot for this single episode.
  • Xander: Okay, and the, uh, second problem I'm having... 'Come and get it, Big Boy'? Oz: Uh, if I may suggest, 'This time it's personal.' I mean, there's a reason why it's a classic.

Sunnydale without Buffy is quite the different Sunnydale as proved by the slaying that is attempted by Oz, Willow and Xander who make quite the hilarious team as they try to make up for the slack. The Sunndydale side adds a lot of humor to the episode because all that Buffy adds is moody angst. I like the reappearance of Anne though and she help brings Buffy back to the living and breaks her out of her Angel induced break. The drama in her little version of hell isn't all that interesting but I like the fact that she left to deal with her issues that show her being a little selfish and trying to do something on her own at the same time. That story line isn't my favorite but it gets the job done I suppose. I also find Cordelia and Xander to be the best part of this episode, their reunion is hilarious and it bring much needed humor to this episode.
  • The Slayer That Lost Her Way

Anne-It is the end of summer vacation, and Buffy is still missing. Willow, Xander, Oz, and Cordelia are attempting to keep the Sunnydale vampire population in check during Buffy's absence... with only moderate success. They miss having the Slayer around, but more than that they miss their friend. Meanwhile, Buffy has been working as a waitress in L.A., going by her middle name, Anne, and trying to forget her old life. But of course, someone always needs the Slayer's help...

Like, I said before, Buffy premieres are pretty much seen as lackluster by most fans, but I always found "Anne" to be one of the better premieres. I mean how underrated is the episode that has one of the best fight sequences in Buffy history!

I think the best aspect of the premiere is watching the gang deal with Buffy's disappearence. I think it's hilarious how the gang took over Buffy's slayer duties. Especially with the teaser as a vampire crawls out of it's grave, Willow tries to imitate Buffy's sarcasm by saying, "That's right Big boy, come and get it." It's also funny how Xander and Cordelia are so excited to see each other again they become almost incompetent. A scene that also stands out is Joyce blaming Giles for Buffy's leaving. It's a shocking yet understandable scene as Joyce feels betrayed as a mother and is blaming Giles only because she's hurt.

The scenes with Buffy in L.A. are wonderfully done. It creates a surreal feel as we see L.A. as a hopeless, gritty place in need of a hero. This can be seen as a forshadowing of the "Angel" series as Angel becomes the city's protector a year later. The dream sequence with Angel is also a stunning scene with slick direction. Sarah does a great job of showing a lonely yet independent Buffy trying to deal with her issues in the big city. Bringing back the character of Shawnterelle/Lily was a good decision and makes a nice little friend for Buffy the whole hour. The plot is actually an inventive one as Ken, who seems like a nice homeless shelter owner, is actually a demon taking young orphans to an underground hell dimension to force them into slavery. It's a situation the forces Buffy to stop running from her pain and jump back into slayer mood. I love how when she is asked who she is by the large demon that she responds with a smile on her face, "I'm Buffy, the vampire slayer and you are?" Next comes, like I said previous, one of the best fight scenes of the series as Buffy runs through the factory and is forced to battle the demons of the hell dimension. The fighting is smooth and the action is very elaborate for Buffy at this point as it's obvious the series is getting a better budget with each season.

There are also hilarious moments afterwards like Lily pushing Ken of the balcony and Buffy's little history reference to Ken before she kills him:

Buffy: "Hey Ken! Want to see my impression of Ghandi?"

[swing hammer, killing him]

Lily: "Ghandi?"

Buffy: "Well, you know, he was really pissed off."

Joss really knows how to place such priceless dialogue at the right places. The episode concludes with Buffy leaving Lily her L.A. home and job with Lily taking the name Anne in Buffy's honor. The last scene of Joyce owning the door to see Buffy at her door step exhausted and teary eyed is a brilliant ending as nothing needs to be said. All and All, a great premiere with hilarious scenes, amazing action and great character interaction.
  • Who are you?

This episode takes place during the end of the summer following season 2's pivotal season finale. I won't comment too much on the plot points except for a couple of things that I enjoyed.

Buffy/Main Plot: The episodes simple title, Anne, struck me as powerful especially because of the episode's theme of finding identity (like Lily, btw I'm surprised they remembered a former minor character!) and accepting it (Buffy). In the strongest scene (second only to the end scene), a demon walks up to each of the abandoned teens, asks them who they are (hitting them if they say anything other than "no one"), one by one, until he reaches Buffy. Of course one foresees the fight scene a mile ahead, but the scene was done in such a way that the dramatic build up leads more so up to Buffy's acceptance of her identity (and the assertion that we are all someone) than it does to the fight.

Scooby Gang: It was great seeing the gang cope without Buffy and do some slaying (well fumbling and staking). The dynamics provided for some of the much needed comic relief in such a gloomy episode. Xander and Cordy get best comical character dynamics for this one.

Best Overall Character Dynamics for Episode: My other favorite scene is Giles' interaction with Joyce. Throughout season 1 (as with many supernatural shows) we may have been likely to believe she was yet another clueless parent character oblivious about their kid's identity. We see she knows/senses more than she lets on (of course, such hints were always present before) by the way she tell Giles how much influence she knows he has on her; even going as far to blame him for what's happened to her life and accusing him of taking her daughter away from her. They could have just sat in the living room and said nothing and I still would have thought this was a great parent/'teacher' scene.

Gloomy, but deep stuff.
  • Buffy goes to LA,works as a waitress and gets sucked into a hell dimension.

Buffy-now working as a waitress in LA and going under the name of Anne-her middle name gets recognised by a girl she saved a year ago.Later her boyfriend goes missing and the girl-called Lily comes looking for Buffy to help look for him.They check the hospital and Buffy finds out that a guy she met on the street-Ken is actually a demon and realises that he lures people into his dimension in order to steal their youth.Buffy fights the demons in the dimension,kills Ken and gives Lily her job as the waitress.Buffy goes back to Sunnydale and reunites with her mother.
  • Another example of a mediocre beginning of Buffy season.

While the "Buffy" team would craft some well made finales, the premieres tend to be mediocre, wrapping up threads from the previous season rather than establishing the threat of the current season. This is that kind of premiere. The purpose of this episode is to get Buffy to realize her identity and return to Sunnydale. Ultimately, it feels rushed. Considering all the bad stuff that happened in the "Becoming" two-parter, one episode, especially this one, doesn't feel like enough to get her to go back home.

Before we get to the meat of the episode, one technological aspect must be addressed. As of this episode, "Buffy" switched their film stock from 16 mm, what they've used since the first episode, to 35 mm, which they'll use until the end of the series. Because of that, the series looks a lot better. Some of the earlier episodes were poorly lit, making the image barely visible. They did get better at lighting the series so that the end of the second season looked pretty good. However, the new stock makes a sharper, more colorful image, vital for a show like Buffy.

Buffy lost a lot as season two ended. Her attempts to keep a separate, "normal", life outside of slaying failed. She lost her home, her fellow slayer, her love, her school all in a few hours. So it makes sense that Buffy would want to run away from all that. However, this episode shows that running from her identity isn't as easy as she' thought, as Angel creeps into her dreams and demons creep the streets of LA. If last season was about Buffy trying to have a normal life while balancing her slaying duties, this season is about Buffy's identity as slayer and how that shapes who she is.

Instead of the gang going to LA to bring her back, not that Giles wasn't ready to with even the slightest hint, they have someone Buffy saved play that role. Considering the episode's theme, that it would be someone from Billy Ford's vampire cult in "Lie to Me" makes sense. Lily, formerly Chantarelle, soon to be Anne, is the opposite of Buffy. While Buffy ran away from home because of her identity, Lily likely drifted to LA to find an identity for herself. Ricky, her boyfriend who falls victim to the inter-dimensional demons, comes across as another step in that ladder.

Interestingly, their experience in the hell dimension causes an epiphany of identity for both sides of the spectrum. Anne's mourning over Ricky causes her to wind up with Ken, who plunges her into the hell dimension where humans are forced to deny their identities and become servants at some industrial plant. Lily's is less pronounced, as she works to get the other workers out of the dimension while Buffy takes on the demons. Despite Buffy's wish to stay out of the situation, she can't help but step up to save those affected. It's a tough fact for her after what she went through. She's the chosen one and nothing can get her out of that duty. The further she goes investigating Ricky's disappearance, the further she realizes that's who she is, the turning point being when she identifies herself using the show's title.

This episode introduces the concept that time passes differently in other dimensions. While it may have been a device to explain how the runaways turn into bewildered old people, this facet would become a major element for a character later on "Angel".

Those who overread everything could see communist images and ideas with the hell dimension. People are grabbed up by the system, forced to abandon all identity but worker, and spit out in the world old and useless. Even Buffy's choice of weaponry in the final fight, a hammer and blade (could be substituted for a sickle), adds to that point, making her a champion of the workers. OK, there could be absolutely nothing to this, as individuality is the major point of the scene.

The infamous "Ghandi" joke is at best forced. This joke makes absolutely no sense, as if it were an inside joke among the writers that Whedon thought would resonate with the audience.

In some ways, this episode serves to set the stage for "Angel", which would be set in LA. Too bad planning for the series was in its infancy, or we might've been able to see Buffy interact with people and things that would make up that universe. On the other hand, it could've easily veered into backdoor pilot territory, which can be largely disappointing or forced. Regardless, it would've been cool if she stopped by Caritas for some advice.

Obviously Buffy's absence was going to leave a major hole in controlling evil in Sunnydale. If things went unchecked, Sunnydale and the world would be in bad shape. They got lucky last season, but the gang prepared for the worse after a much gloomier resolution to the problems of season two. Unfortunately, none of the gang have the strength or experience to combat the dark creatures the way Buffy can.

However, their ineffectiveness seems to ignore the contributions they've made towards Buffy's work, which ultimately has become their own, for comic effect. Granted they don't have the skills Buffy does, but they should have some more on screen success, at least towards the end of the episode. The stakes aren't high enough to really warrant such problems among them. Perhaps if they had a real crisis beyond stopping the newly minted vamps their subplot would've worked better.

Oz's failed attempt to kill the vampire by throwing the stake at it mocks the cliché of the hero being able to impale anyone by throwing a pointed object fast enough at it. Ironically, that shot, minus the miss, is in the credits as if it were one of those typical action hero moves!

While it's not unusual to use bait to catch prey, the way Xander suggests they use Cordelia comes off as uncharacteristically cruel. They have made comments like that before, but generally the sentiment wasn't genuine malice. If this was meant to show the cracks in their relationship, it could've been better handled, or at least downplayed until it came to resolution.

Giles and Joyce, who have had chemistry in the past, play a different scene altogether as Joyce unleashes on Giles, blaming him for Buffy's disappearance. That may be too much blame to heap on a person, but Joyce still has a lot to learn about her daughter, as she only got the basics before Buffy left to stop Acathla. Obviously Joyce is regretting her heat of the moment ultimatum to Buffy from "Becoming, Part 2" and desiring a second chance.

The big problem in this episode is the pacing. The finale in the other dimension takes way too long to happen. If this had been a two parter, it would've been better to develop Buffy's struggle with her identity. Being in a hell dimension would be a pretty interesting place for self-discovery, but we see little of it.

Overall, this episode is another example of a lackluster premiere, seeking to tie up loose ends from the finale rather than setting up the new seasonal arc. However, considering where this season would go, bumps in the road this early are easily forgivable.
  • Buffy in hell.

This episode takes us several months after Angel's death: school's starting, and Buffy's still missing. She's going under name Anne (her middle name) and she works in Helen's Kitchen as a waitress. Apparently, Buffy does not want to face herself yet, and she wants to face her friends and mother far less. Then, she meets Lily - and Lily knows who she is, cause Buffy saved her life year ago when Lily wanted to became a vampire. Now, Lily is girl in love, she's still uncapable to take care of herself, but she has a boyfriend - Richie to do that for her.

There is a parallel between girls in this episode... in the end Buffy is ready to go back to who she is, but Lily goes through another change of identity - this time she becomes Anne.

As for other things in this episode... well, Xander and Cordy got back together (wait a second, did they actually broke up... cause that's a little bit confusing for me), and Oz is back at school. That's one part I just don't get - I mean, the guy's a genius, for crying out loud !!! And this episode just reminded me how much I hate Joyce. She's so irritating.
  • The search for Buffy

This was an interesting episode and all but for the most part everything that happened was expected.

I loved Willow, Xander, and Oz out on patrol and trying and failing miserably ant killing that vamp. I loved how Oz threw the stake and a part of you just thought that he was gonna dust the vamp but you knew that the vampire was gonna get away. I loved when they were going to use Cordelia as bait that was just too funny.

Giles just made you feel for him. He really just wanted his slayer back and he just couldn't find her. Xander was right saying that when Buffy wanted to be found they'd find her. I loved that Joyce blamed Buffy running off on him that just made you feel for Giles even more.

Buffy was just in that place and you felt for her. When she had that dream about Angel you knew it was a dream and you could see that he was really having a terrible affect on her. She missed him and felt so guilty about killing him and you could see and feel it in every scene.

Ken was just a creep from the start you knew he was no good. I loved how Buffy got when they were in Hell and the demon guy asked "Who are you?" And she was just "I'm Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and you are?" That was classic Buffy. I loved when Lily pushed Ken down and everyone was just staring for a minute.

This was a great episode but everything that happened you knew was going to happen, but Joss did an amazing job with what he had to get done here.
  • Buffy is on her own

Favorite Quotes:
    Xander: Yeah, the slaying isn't getting any easier, either.
    Oz: I don't know, I think we're kinda getting a rhythm down.
    Xander: We're losing half the vamps.
    Oz: Yeah, but... rhythmically

We pick up this season with Buffy living in L.A. using her middle name, Anne. She is working at a greasy spoon and living in a cheap apartment. Basically as far away from slaying as she can be. The scoobies and Joyce are following any lead they can to find Buffy, but to no avail. I thought this was a good season opener. Buffy now knows that no matter how far she runs, she cannot get away from who she truly is. She returns home at the end, yes!!!!
  • Really liked it

I really liked that beginning, that Buffy was just so lonley but really managed her own normal life. Though she couldn't get away from her slayer duties she really managed herself and showed that she could have a normal life on her own.

Also that Lily was there was really sweet. She reminded me of another part of Buffy, like how Buffy feels about the slaying at home. She can't take care or her own life there like Lilly can't take care of herself. It is said that we never know if she made it this time. Since it is a Series she might really made it.
  • Not such an exciting start to season 3

The episode is crammed full with a whol summers worth of charcter development. It wasn't a great episode but it was needed in order for the rest of the series to continue.

Buffy ahs left Sunnydale and Oz, Xnader and Willow are trying to keep the local vampire population down but they aren't doing too well.

Buffy is working as a waitress under her middle name of Anne when she is recognised by someone she helped escape vampires. Suddenly she gets sucked into a demon's plot to exploit human workers and Buffy realises that the slayer is needed.

It is going to be an uphill battle getting Buffy back into Sunnydale High but I think they will do it, it is her final year after all.
  • A filler episode with the necesary character development we needed to get on with the series. We see Buffy get back on track as the Slayer: facing her identity and responsibilities that come with being the chosen one.

It\'s the start of the new schoolyear and Buffy is not in Sunnydale. The Scoobies are takign over her duties slaying the vamps, be it not all too succesfully.
    Meanwhile Buffy has run to LA where she is working in a diner under the name Anne (her middlename). Working there she stumbles upon a demon taking young people to work in his helldemension. He uses them untill they are too old and sends them back to their own demension where they die of old age.
    Trapped by the demon herself, she realises that she is what she is and cannot run away from it anymore. She frees the kids and by that somehow feels freed herself. She decides to go back to Sunnydale.

An interesting episode in the way that we see Buffy get back on track. It\'s all about the character development here. The monster of the week was not all that interesting.
  • Buffy (Anne) works in a diner in LA, pretending she's starting a new life. A former Sunnydale acquaintance reveals demonic forces holding prisoners in an underground hell dimension. It's by doing setting them free that she herself is freed.

This is one of my all time favourite BTVS episodes.
    Buffy's depressed and dealing with killing the love of her life, and turns her back on her friends, her mom, and her life. Despite going through one of the worst times of her life, she remains strong. She may have runaway, but she didn't stop being who she really was, which was a fighter.

I love Chanterelle's name, and it's one of the few witty moments of the episode. We see a glimpse of LA and understand that the Hellmouth isn't the only place that has demonic problems. It's a nice way to foreshadow the series spin-off 'Angel'. The fight scene of Buffy in the underground is one of my favourites. I love the part when Buffy's grabbed and they think that maybe she failed to help everyone escape, only to see Chanterelle push the demon off the ledge. Classic.
  • Buffy tries to runaway and hide under the alias Anne, but she is drawn into rescuing an old acquaintance from Hell. When questioned by an unfriendly demon, she declares that she is the one and only: Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

At its core, this episode is about identity. Add in a few fight scenes, and you have an exciting episode. For loyal followers of the series, Anne follows up on the consequences of many events in the season two finale. Running away is not a solution to your problems, which Buffy will discover over the course of the next few episodes, but you can empathize with Buffy after the trauma of killing Angel in the last episode.

To fill its forty-four minutes of running time, this episode must have a little more meat than runaway Buffy and the misadventures of the Scooby Gang filling in for her back at Sunnydale. Enter silly plot about a demon who kidnaps runaways and throws them into Hell to perform hard labor. This is where the otherwise great episode falters.

Buffy is dragged into this situation by a girl from a previous episode. I do not recall her name, because, frankly, she was unimportant in her previous episode, and she is unimportant in this episode (and she changes her name a lot). Her presence was more a contrived device to bring the real Buffy out of hiding than an attempt at series continuity anyway.

Where this episode excels is where many Buffy episodes excel: hammering in the moral while simultaneously hammering down the monster-of-the-week. A bullying demon in the Hell dimension beats down the other slaves until they answer his question “Who are you?” with “No one.” When he asks Buffy, she replies, “I’m Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.” She finally embraces her identity…and gets to kick demon butt. Anne is a nice addition to the Buffy mythology, but as a standalone episode, it only garners 6 out of 10.

-Matthew Miller
    Find this review and more at tv.swingthesickle.com
  • Buffy's not in Sunnydale...

So it is the start of senior year and Buffy’s not there. She has runaway from Sunnydale. Well, I am not sure that it is 100% running away as her mom told her that if she left she should never come back, so she didn’t. The scoobies are hanging out in Sunnydale hoping that Buffy will show up but then they remember that she was expelled from school too. We find out that Buffy has been working in LA as a waitress named Anne (her middle name). And it is true that wherever the slayer is she will find evil. Turns out that there is the guy that acts like he is running a shelter for runaway teens but he is really a demon who sends them to a demon dimension to work for eternity. When they are too old to work in his dimension he brings them back but they are so old at that time no one recognizes them. Buffy finds out what is happening and goes down to the demon dimension to fight Ken and rescue who she can. When she gets out she closes the portal so that no more people can be taken down there. Buffy starts to think about life and love and decides to go home.
  • buffy in la

i think buffy went downhill after season2 but season3 started very well and almost as good as the season 2 opener.

buffy is all depressed in la, the city of angels for what she did to her lover the last season. the episode is interesting and funny and action packed. the hell in this episode was brilliant and so was the episode mostly. buffys friends had to cope a life without buffy but she comes back at the end and that was a nice scene when her mom opened her arms and welcomed her in.
  • Depression-o-Rama

7.7
    One of the few recurring problems with Buffy the Vampire Slayer was that the show never had great season premieres. What's more annoying is the fact that their season finales were so stunning; meaning the episode following them would be a little disappointing. Anne is the most obvious premiere with that problem. It was obviously difficult to follow up such a huge finale like Becoming Part Two, but this episode rarely does anything right, resulting in a season premiere which is mostly devoid of anything interesting. And it doesn't help that the show's lead character is split apart from the rest of the cast for the entire hour.

Most of this episode's action takes place in LA, and it's basically a set-up to the Angel spin-off series, in that we are shown how LA will be depicted when a whole show is set there the following fall. The location itself is pretty good, and it's rare to find a network show which casts Los Angeles as such a depressing, gloomy city. It's also fun to see Buffy take on bad guys in another city, since Sunnydale has (at this point) become a little same-y, in terms of new sets and locations.

The storyline itself isn't successful though, with a race of demons imprisoning abandoned teenagers and throwing them into a parallel dimension which makes them rapidly age. The only notable thing about this story is the impressive action scene toward the end, with Buffy using new weapons to take down her enemies and running around a huge warehouse. I also liked Julia Lee's Lily. I don't know why Joss kept bringing her back throughout the Buffyverse (are they friends in real life or something?) but she was a pretty good foil to Buffy in this episode, in particular her shocked reaction to the moment where she pushes Ken off a mini-balcony thing.

The scenes in Sunnydale are the most entertaining parts of the episode. It was fun to see the Scooby Gang coping without Buffy, in particular Willow's impression of the slayer in the opening scene, and the argument between Xander and Cordelia in the graveyard. I also loved the impressive tracking shot in Sunnydale High at the beginning, it looked really stunning and I can imagine it took a while to film.

Despite being mostly tedious, there were some scenes of old Buffy excellence, in particular the scene in which Joyce berates Giles for getting Buffy involved with her destiny. But in an episode in which everybody's so detached and depressed, it's difficult to find anything to enjoy.

Director: Joss Whedon
    Writer: Joss Whedon
    Rating: B-
  • After the recent loss of Angel, Buffy just wants to hide from the world.

The episode was a good way to get from the end of last season (Buffy boards a bus and runs from Sunnydale) to the start of this season (she has to come back, the other actors are still under contract!).

Buffy's not the same wise-cracking heroine after the emotionally brutal last season, especially with what she was forced to do for the world. She's sullen, beaten down, and has lost that vivacious energy we know.

When Chanterelle (the vampire cult in 'Lie to Me') now calling herself Lilly runs into trouble she goes to Buffy for help. Unfortunately, Buffy really isn't interested in fighting anymore; but that changes when she finds evidence of something demon related going on.

Highlights include the Buffy's dream sequences with a restored Angel on the sunlit beach; her confronting of the nurse who knows something odd is going on and she'd gotten involved in it; Buffy reclaiming her sense of identity in a hell dimension where humans slaves are stripped of it; and finally her long and tracking fight scenes against Ken's minions.
  • evil look at street living

this was a pretty good episode. we start by seeing buffy living in a new city, getting by as a waitress, and not spending her nights chasing evil doers. we also see as her family and friends miss her and worry. her mother even goes as far as to blame giles for everything. in the end see realizes that see can no longer deny her destiny and kills the bad guys fights her way out of a hell demension and goes back home.
  • 'I'm Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and you are?'

The beginning of a third season, ‘Anne’ was an excellent show with brilliant lines and some darkness and depressingness.

The episode begins with the usual vampire coming out of the earth and you see the legs of what you may think of as Buffy/
    But it’s Willow, together with Oz and Xander they have been haunting vampires but it isn’t really working. The next day is school and Willow hopes that Buffy will come back. But even if she did, she’s expelled.

After all the wondering about Buffy, we see her in the beech and Angel is holding her, he won’t leave her even if she kills him. Then Buffy wakes up and she is somewhere in L.A., the city of the lost.

The nice thing about this episode is that it has two completely different stories and it worked, occasionally it was a bit slow and felt like it was going no where, but as the episode continued it got better.
    One part of the story features Sunnydale, with the scoobies going back to school.

Oz failed his last year and didn’t graduate, so now he’s back in class with Willow.
    While Cordy and Xander have their awkward moments and think that they are over each other, until they kiss again after killing a vampire.
    The gang have been killing vampires in the summer while Buffy was gone, also Giles has been trying to find her without any success, Joyce blames him for Buffy’s leaving because he kept her away from Joyce and made her become someone that they don’t even know.

The second storyline in the episode featured Buffy in L.A. working as a waitress with a name called ‘Anne’.
    She meets this cute young couple, the female seems to know Buffy and follows her at night, her name is Lily aka Chantarelle in episode ‘Lie To Me’.
    One day she asks Buffy for help because her boyfriend is missing and she says that he would never leave her alone, Buffy tries to find him and she finds a body of a dead old man with the name ‘Lily’ tattooed on his hand.

When Buffy brings the news to Lily, she thinks that Buffy brought this with her and when she runs crying in the street some creepy religious guy tells her that her boyfriend is still alive and that he knows where she can find him.
    Note to self: never trust some creepy religious man.

All in all, the man brought them to some kind of hell where Buffy gotten herself into as well, she tries toe scape with a couple of prisoners and ends up killing the creepy religious demon guy with an imitation of Ghandi.

Buffy leaves Lily all her stuff in L.A. and Lily asks if she can be Anna now.

The last scene was very sad when Buffy returns home and her mother is waiting with open arms.

All in all, ‘Anne’ was a fantastic new beginning of a new area of BTVS, filled with great action sequences, great acting and writing.
  • Buffy

I felt so sorry for Buffy in this episode, she'd been through in lot in season 2 and Becoming part 2, i mean she sent her true love to hell to save the world and had a fight with her mum (who couldn't handle her being a slayer). She felt so lost and lonely.
  • Anne

When i saw this episode, i just didnt know what to say. Buffy was taking on a completely different name, and it took me a while to figure the whole thing out. And in the end, she goes back to helping Willow, so the name change was really for nothing.
  • Maybe the best Buffy episode ever. It’s so sad, but it has a clear message. It has everything that makes Buffy such a great show!

I have to admit first, that I’m writing this review, after re-watching the DVDs and after a few weeks break from the season two finale. But I remembered this episode in its basic part and I knew I would like this episode again.
    So why do I like this episode so much?
    First of all we know the whole show has a message behind all, almost every detail has its deeper reason, but it’s nowhere so obvious than here. The message is clearly: Don’t run away, it won’t be better somewhere else – stay and fight for your happiness and luck!
    On the other hand this episode is really sad, not the tear jerking stuff like in all those break-up’s we see in every show and film! The story this episode really breaks your heart! Buffy’s runaway we saw in the last episode there most have cried, but this time everything is so much harder to watch. Buffy is living in L.A. trying to survive on her own. She landed in a place where everyone just survives, not living. Just one of the symbols of that circumstance is that everyone is living under a different name; Buffy makes no exception here when she calls herself Anne. She tries to handle her job as waitress and don’t speak to friends or even to get someone to know, she just wants to forget everything. But she has to fight for her private space when she runs into Lily and some strange demon activities. There’s the first time she really accepts her being as a slayer even it’s just for a moment. In all the times before she did it because she had to (like in season two finale) or because she could (like season one finale). Here she could let it just happen around her, all those sadness, or give up when she’s down in the demon factory or whatever that is exactly. But it was great when she stud up and likes to say, that she’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Sure she forgets about that in the next episode (but that’s not the point here).
    Some other parts of this episode were great too. For example the scene where Giles visits Joyce and she tells him, that she blames him, that Buffy left.
    The Scooby’s trying to stand in for Buffy and kill the vampires is sweet and somehow understandable, but just foolish in my opinion, but it’s just in the right amount shown here.
    The beautiful dream sequences with Buffy and Angel are beautiful and really romantic. I think this dream sequences are more romantic than all the previous stuff we’ve seen. There so innocent, even when Angel speaks the truth, like “not even when you kill me”. Besides the fact, that this are really beautiful scene’s, the show has found a way, that we know from the beginning of season three, that Angel will be back, even Buffy killed him at the end of the second season. It’s really great work in this aspect.
    So after all this you might ask, sure you’re right so far, but what makes this episode so special?
    I will add some point here:
    First: Buffy really fights alone and for herself and not because someone tells her or obligates it from her. That’s something I missed in large parts of the entire show!
    Second: Joyce and Giles really care about Buffy and don’t accept the facts; they try to fight for a better world!
    Third: The fight scene when Buffy fights the factory is one of the best one. It just isn’t the fistfight, stabbing – end; it’s a great choreography and something really different.
    Fourth: Some details, that makes the whole thing so realistic. For example when the guy spanks Buffy she doesn’t hit back, because she tiered of fighting all the time.

Now you can say there are some points so that this episodes doesn’t deserves the grade 10, for example the thing with the knee protectors in the car crash or the weird fact, that even Buffy is in a place the time moves on so fast, she back exactly for school start and when you think about it. Buffy arranged herself in her apartment and her job and the think I just wrote about, I really think that would be longer time period than the school holidays are.
    But why I giving this episode a 10 when I think it has some minus points? Just because nothing can be perfect and here we feel so sad watching Buffy, but it isn’t the random sadness every cheep show is trying to show us, no it’s the real thing and that’s why I think this episode deserves the highest grade. Not a lot of shows can handle such content without being pathetic!
  • "If we can focus, keep discipline and not have so many mysterious deaths, Sunnydale’s gonna rule!" - Larry

Buffy’s never happy at the beginning of a Season, is she. Either she’s pissed off at having to be the Slayer, or miffed because she was killed by an Overlord Vampire, upset because she had to slaughter her boyfriend and run away, then troubled when University doesn’t live up to her expectations and then….well, the first episodes of Seasons 5 and 7 ruin my theory, but hey, Buffy was peeved once more when she found that she was dead/alive again in S6.

So, the Buffster is dreaming about Heaven (Angel-as-human, sunshine, love) whilst living in Hell Ay and working at Hel(l)en’s Kitchen. Later in the episode, she literally goes down to Hell. Joss couldn’t let her just return to her friends, Joyce, school and Sunnydale. She has to suffer first. Meanwhile back in the ‘Dale, the gang are trying to replace the Slayer with varying results, a tactic which reminded me of the white-hat efforts in "The Wish". Oz can’t throw, Willow can’t pun, Xander can’t fight. Their mission statement of ‘Don’t Get Killed’ looks to be under jeopardy. The carefree, almost juvenile atmosphere contrasts with Buffy’s hellish life. Xander and Cordy still have issues; both thinking the other cheated on them in the summer break. They can’t communicate which leads to Xander wanting to use Cordelia as vamp-bait, a state of affairs that lasts until Xander finally slays the ex-high school vamp and the couple passionately kiss, which put me in mind of the slayage/sex thing that Faith does with such relish further on in the series. Odd how everyone has had their hair done over the holidays except Cordelia (who is the most concerned about her coiff). Meanwhile,
    Oz, a legal adult, is still in school. He admits it’s “all a little weird” – surely Joss and the team could have put him in UC Sunnydale but still have him hanging around the school? I suppose being a werewolf plays havoc with your test scores.

The juvenile theme is continued as Giles refers to Buffy as “The most capable child he’s ever known” and Ken also calls Buffy a child, whereas she is actually living the life of an adult with a job and a rented flat and the trapped misery of a much older person. Although the LA storyline seems to be little more than a set-up for the Angel spin-off, there are some good metaphors to be made:– cities literally draining the life out of people, runaways disappear – into hell and the homeless are those who have returned from hell. Chanterelle-aka-Lily, less goth, but still as pathetic hooks up with Buffy. Instead of giving blood to vampires, she is now giving it to humans and because of her, Buffy is sucked back into slayage. As ever with Buffy, it’s people having difficulties or being in danger that is her raison de slaying. It’s all about the people, not the vampires. Still, both she and Lily should have noticed that Ken, the dodgy ‘Christian’ youthworker who is half Caleb/half The Mayor (“Someone’s been telling you a tall tale”), with his badly photocopied clip-art flyers is EVIL. Anyone with a tanktop that nasty must be a demon. The hell-dimension is a trad. Hades, all fire, brimstone, eternal torment, whips, chains and Nazi-style flashlights and alarms. But the real anguish comes from the “total absence of hope”. Ken tells Buffy “You don’t fight back. That’s how this works”. But Buffy is always fighting back, that is Buffy, and her self-definition: “I’m Buffy, the vampire slayer” is what this season is all about. In S3, she comes to terms with her role and embraces it. At the moment, she wants to deny all that she is - by the end of the series, she accepts herself and is accepted and valued by her peers for being the Slayer, for being herself. At the end of this episode, she stops pretending to be Anne, the waitress and returns to her life in Sunnydale, giving to Lily her name, her job, her flat and some of her attitude - the confidence and ability to look after herself. So much so that Lily/Anne is able, in the future, to look after others: from homeless to homeless shelter manager in 2 short seasons.

In her killing of Ken, Buffy misunderstands Gandhi, but the message seems to be that sometimes violence is necessary (if it’s in self-defence and against a demon, at least). Just as Buffy dreamed about the Master returning at the beginning of S2 and then smashed his bones to relieve her angst, now she dreams of Angel returning and her fight with the hell-demons alleviates her guilt and pain over killing him. She had to kill him – it’s her job.

The gang also come to adulthood in Series 3; Xander and Willow catching up with Buffy in the sex stakes, Xander having fabulous adventures and Willow gaining in witchy confidence. The wonderful one-off episodes such as "The Wish" (this episode’s hardened Buffy in combat pants reminds me of The Wish Buffy) and "The Zeppo", the love triangles, the thrilling finale and of course the fabulous Faith and the Mayor story arc combine to make this a classic series, perhaps the best.

One last thing: I hope Buffy had a fake surname as well. Anne Summers???!

• Good episode

When I first saw "Anne", I wasn't too impressed by it. But again, it's just one of those episodes that grows on you. I love the fact that Joyce now knows Buffy is the slayer, and that she blames Giles for Buffy's leaving town, and that Giles, being the proper gentleman that he is, allows her to blame him. The chemistry between Willow and Oz has never been better, which makes what ultimately happens in their relationship even more distressing. The scenes with Xander and Cordelia not quite knowing where they stand with each other are poignant and funny at the same time. The one aspect of this episode I don't agree with, however, is how quickly Buffy returns to Sunnydale. I understand it's 3 months later, but still...she doesn't seem to have dealt at all with the fact that she killed Angel. Fortunately, that will be addressed in the VERY near future.
  • Another average, ho-hum, season opener for Buffy....

Another average, ho-hum, season opener for Buffy....
    Seasons premiers on this show are typically not that great, and this one is no exception.

This is how I rate (on a scale of 10) the episodes of season 3: