Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Band Candy

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 10, 1998 on The WB

• Band Candy

This is a very funny episode that unfortunately has a couple problems. Willow and Xander's silly romance still bugs me to no end. This is really out of character for both of them. Yes, Willow had a big crush on Xander in S1 and into S2, but Xander only returned those feelings once, in "When She Was Bad" (2x01). They both have a boyfriend/girlfriend now, and they wouldn't both betray them like that; it's not in their personalities. The episode is making it out to be a cute moment between them when all it does is make me cringe.

Back in "Surprise" (2x13) Buffy gives her mom a little speech about feeling more responsible now that she's 17. It's fun to see Joyce saying 'no' to Buffy's continuous requests to drive. Also very interesting is the fact that Joyce believes Giles is taking up too much of Buffy's time. This is a natural extension to how she felt back in "Anne" (3x01) when telling Giles that he had an entire relationship with Buffy behind her back. This is great character development and follow-through.

Buffy wants more adult responsibilities, but when her 'parents' start acting like reckless teenagers she becomes very uncomfortable not having those 'parents' there to help her when things get messy. She wants her mom to be the serious parents and she needs Giles to be a responsible Watcher again. This issue is followed up in a very serious way beginning with "The Body" (5x16) and continuing throughout S6 and S7.

It's really fun, and surprisingly interesting, seeing the "adults acting like teens" premise play out. Giles is all cocky, Joyce wants his approval, and Snyder is a nerd who wants to be in Buffy's group. Somehow it all seems to make sense based on what little we know of these characters' pasts (Giles being the exception). Because of that exploration this turns out to be a great plot. It's even better knowing that Ethan's candy curse was just a ruse to allow a baby-eating ritual to go through unscathed. The fact that the Mayor is ultimately responsible for the entire scheme, and that Buffy doesn't find out, makes it even better.

There's a couple small things I really liked as well. First is how easily Ethan gives up the information about his part in the scheme. Another amusing moment is when the Mayor makes a phone call about needing sewer repairs while waiting for the ritual to begin. As a package, this episode really delivers as a fun basic premise with a cool little twist thrown in. On top of all that we get little touches of character development from Giles, Joyce, Snyder, and Buffy. It's not perfect, but I definitely enjoyed it.
  • SWEET!

Band Candy

The Good;

The more Joyce in an episode the better it is. She and Ripper and all the adults are just hilarious. Also lovely to see Ethan Rayne (I always figured that if Giles was to die he would reform and become Buffy's new Watcher). Love to have seen Buffy's dream but that would be probably beyond the SFX department. Altogether fabulous.

The Bad;

Lurconis looks a bit lame but certainly better than the preying mantis. It rather spoils the suprise of Ethan Rayne being the villain when Robin Sach's name is in the opening titles

Best line; Buffy (as Joyce produces the cuffs) "Never tell me!"

Shot; Giles threatened with a gun and uses it on Ethan but no shots fired

Tied up; Ethan and possibly Joyce or Giles in handcuffs

Knocked out; for once Giles stays conscious but knocks out a policeman

Kinky dinky; see Tied Up. Personally I always thought that Joyce and Giles had had sex on the hood of the police car but maybe that's just me?

Calling Captain Subtext; "Wanna swap?" What a shame we never got to see an Oz/Cordy relationship (not even in any fanfic I've ever read) I mean Cordy has dated plenty of guys in bands before? Also when Xander says he wants to marry Miss Barton (always had a thing for older women) Cordy replies "Get in line!"

Guantanamo Bay; Buffy beats up Ethan for information

Questions and observations;

Joyce and Giles drink that awful Khalua stuff (or however you spell it) Could Joyce be the slutty pumpkin? (a prize to whoever can recognise THAT reference!). Whoa Summers you drive like a spaz! Nice to see that Buffy isn't necessarily good at everything, always annoyed me about Xena that she was brilliant at everything even if she was a demi-god (except cooking and music but Joxer and Gabby could each do both for her). Ethan obviously has a few reservations about what he's doing to judge by his expression when Trick kills the worker. Joyce like's 70s singer Juice Newton who's big hit was interestingly "Angel of the morning". Whenever I see a green 4x4 nowadays I always think 'the Geek machine' or 'The Joyce mobile'. You do feel pity for teenage Snyder, he apparently did Tae Kwan Do which is SMG's martial art. What happens to Ethan? They tie him up but then what? You can kill vamps with a pencil? Their skin must be a lot softer than human.

Buffy refers to the 'Real World House' another modern reference she wouldn't know if she was really a mad girl in an asylum. According to the Sunnydale High Yearbook the Band Candy raised $600,000 for the band. Lovely to see Joyce and Giles take centre stage for once

What does Dawn do as Joyce revisits her youth? Xander and WIllow, awwww. Buffy drives without insurance or a licence. But she spends her life walking around with offensive weapons so breaking the law should come naturally to her. No Faith this week, she's not even mentioned. Love the Mayor/Trick scene at the end, once again Harry Groener is subtly threatening (not what he says, how he says it) whilst Todd Freeman gives a great performance, trying to be cool and offhand but obviously scared witless. Love the reference to Death of a Salesman.

Need you ask? 10/10

• Band Candy

Band Candy was a hilarious episode full of old foes, new villians, and lots of mayhem! I really enjoyed watching this as many of the characters were affected by the Band Candy, and the adults turned back into teenagers mentally. It was funny to see what some of them did, and especially since they remember. There was also some good action, and more depth to story lines of this season. The Mayor is doing Dark Deeds, with Mr. Trick as his associate. Then there is Giles and Buffy's Mom, they had a good old time listening to Great Music. The episode was an over all succuss and important to the story lines of the season.
  • Season 3, Episode 6.

Mr. Trick enlists Ethan Rayne into manufacturing and distributing candy bars that make the adults that eat them act like impossible teenagers.

I thought this episode was OK. It wasn't my favorite storyline, but it was still kinda good. I liked when Xander said, "Am I the only one that wants to marry Miss Barton?" and Cordelia is just like, "Get in line." Haha, then Miss Barton shows up at The Bronze! Haha. Plus, I like Buffy's dangerous driving. Plus, David Boreanaz was shirtless, which was awesome! I liked when Joyce said she knew how to order Pay-per-view. LOL and then Snyder thought he was cool... Decent episode. :)
  • Snyder: Hey! Gang! This place is fun city, huh?!

So Ethan's back and he is changing things up as he does best. My favorite part of this episode is the interactions between Giles and Joyce, they are really funny together as their teenage selves and it's nice to see them playing outside of their normal roles. Buffy having to play watch dog over them is great as well. Snyder is also really funny in this episode and I really like how he insists on tagging along the whole time which shows off that he was an annoying teenager who turned into a bitter and mean old man. The candy that drives everyone young is a really clever idea and this was a really funny episode.
  • Parents become kids in an episode all about responsibility.

Throughout the series there have been episodes where identities were distorted in a way to develop the characters and/or advance the plot. Last season's sixth episode, "Halloween", did that, exploring some subconscious desires of the wearer. Unlike many of those instances, this episode decides to alter the identities of the supporting cast (excepting Giles) to help mend some of the residual problems from season two between Buffy and her guardians. The producers have said this episode turns on the common teenage wish that their parents were "cool" (ie just like them). With no one to be responsible, it turns scary. That may have been the intent, but ultimately the episode is far more comic.

Buffy, like any teenager, desires freedom and greater independence from her parents or parental figures in the case of Giles. However, she has to face the consequences of running away, which means being kept on a tight leash by both Giles and Joyce. The close watch is intensified by the increased difficulty in keeping Angel's return a secret. Deceiving her loved ones could be interpreted as her heading down another slippery slope toward bad things. Although Buffy would win their favor by stopping Lurconis, she still has to deal with Angel, who can't stay hidden forever.

Of course Buffy's return wouldn't ease tensions between her and her mom. Buffy running away negated any signs of responsibility she showed in front of her mother before. They tried to explore this tension in "Dead Man's Party", but it failed in its forced delivery. This episode, along with its supernatural allegory, works far better to illustrate that generation gap. Joyce's teenage persona explains why she is so concerned about her daughter: she was just like pre-Chosen Buffy, and it's common for parents to want their children to be better and not repeat their mistakes. However, seeing Buffy take charge of the situation while her grown up counterparts do little besides tag along makes it clear that Buffy is far more mature than Joyce gave her credit for.

Through their teenage selves, we see some interesting and humorous character development. Snyder was the kid who never read between the lines in social situations and when he eventually did, solidified for his sour demeanor now. As mentioned, Joyce was similar to pre-Chosen Buffy. However, it is Giles, who reverts to his Ripper persona under the candy that is the most interesting. This is probably the closest insight into who that was the series will get, which is a little disappointing, especially with the Ripper spin-off in perpetual limbo.

It's worth noting that, since those intoxicated were either school staff or parents who bought all (or half for Joyce and Giles) the bars, the teenage personas represented reflect only the culture from the late 60s and early 70s. It may be an excessive criticism, but it would've been cool to have adults of various ages behaving as they would if they came of age before or after the Vietnam era. As a side note, thankfully Giles' played a song that isn't in every cliché depiction of the 60s.

Joyce and Giles's adventures touch upon their attraction towards each other, which has been alluded to in a few episodes, but kept brief. With their teenage inhibitions, they can't keep their hands off each other. It's implied (later confirmed) that they had sex as well. Once they sobered up, they can't look each other in the eye the morning after. Their feelings toward each other were never as obvious as in this episode, probably so it wouldn't cheapen what Giles had with Jenny, but perhaps they never tried a real relationship out of fear of what it would do to Buffy, as well as Giles' role as her watcher. It's certainly adds a lot of subtext, especially down the road.

This is the first episode to offer some insight into the Mayor's motivations. He made "campaign promises" to several powerful demons to get in office (and to have somehow a vampire cease fire the night of the mass intoxication). While Mr. Trick noted he should be relieved not to pay Lurconis tribute, The Mayor's request that Trick be cautious about which "favors" he does for him hints that there is something in progress that requires these powerful entities to be alive. Regardless, this tribute is really a MacGuffin to the episode's story. It doesn't matter what the adults weren't paying attention to, it could've been anything.

Although Slayerfest failed miserably, Trick tries again outsourcing mayhem by having Ethan supply it. It makes sense to have Ethan return as the origin of this threat. Back when we last saw him, he served as a counter to Giles for maturity: not moving past the dark magic he got into as a teenager. In a way, he's bringing everyone to his level.

While she took responsibility as the adults became immature, Buffy's still can't see clearly with her relationship with Angel. Buffy lying to Angel about her break up with Scott continues the theme that Buffy and Angel aren't going to get back together. Letting him know that there is one less hurtle would just make things more uncomfortable. They're trying to get into the "friend zone", but that is impossible since they clearly want to be more than that and too many lines have been crossed.

Similarly, Willow and Xander are trying to go back to the friend zone, but after that kiss, they're no facing the "more than friends" feelings that have always been there. Their gestures toward each other are far more pronounced. While not enough to get the attention of the rest of the gang, the guy plucking the acoustic guitar could almost be a character.

Probably the most noteworthy element of this episode is it is the first from Jane Espenson, who would be one of the series' most prolific writers (second only to Whedon) and who currently works on the Battlestar Galactica update. It's one of the last elements that solidified the Buffy brand into the thing people love and it's been interesting to see how that happened.

"Band Candy" succeeds far better than "The Dark Age" at showing tight leashed adults that they were once young and irresponsible too and that their children are more grown up than they give them credit. Perhaps this is because it's done it in a light hearted manner, with the adults' new found immaturity played for laughs. This episode is another piece addressing unresolved threads about the aftermath of the second season, and is one of the better examples than the ones that started this season.
  • Not Your Average Candy Bar

Band Candy-Mr. Trick enlists Giles's old buddy Ethan Rayne to manufacture and distribute boxes of candy which turn the adult population into uninhibited, irresponsible teenagers. While the adults are indisposed, the mysterious Mayor Wilkins pays a tribute to a demon.

Featuriing the writing debut of Jane Espensen, one of the Buffy's most talented writers, "Band Candy" is one of the funniest comedic episodes of the series. An idea that seems horribly ridiculous turnes into comdey gold once on screen. Watching all the adults of Sunnydale suddenly reverting bakc to being teenagers is an hilarious sight.

The 3 characters that are the most entertiaing to watch are Giles, Joyce, and Principal Snyder. Of course, we know Giles was a rebel when he was a teenager but seeing adult Giles act out his rebellious attitude is shocking. Anthony S. Head gives such a convincing performance that you even miss rebel Giles at the end. Then there's Joyce, who we're so use to being Buffy's caring and understanding mother, then we she's a teenager trying to be rebel and fit in shos that she and Buffy have a lot in common. Lastly and probably the funniest of the bunch, Snyder, who is complete nerd and can't score with a girl to save his life. It's just great to see this character in such a different light and gives us a slight explanation on why he becomes such a cruel man as an adult.

The rest of the cast is great as Buffy and the rest of the Scooby Gang react to the adults gone immature. Scenes like Buffy seeing Giles and her mom making out and Snyder's comment on Oz's hair are so priceless! The plot also gets much more interesting when Ethan Rayne returns as well as The Mayor being the encharge of the whole thing. Making a cameo appearence in the last episode and the big bad of the season, The Mayor is cheerful, upbeat politician with a subtle dark side that immediately makes him a stand out among most villians.

The only downside is the reveal of the snake demon, Leothos. This is around the time that CGI was becoming popular in filmmaking but the effects were quite lackluster for a TV series in the last 90s. All and All, a fun filled episode with some of the funniest writing of the series.
  • As Buffy stresses over her SATs, Principal Synder enlists the students to sell candy to raise money foe the band's new uniforms. Everyone knows kidds love candy, but what these chocolate bars do to the adults of Sunnydale is anything but sweet.

This is one of my favourite episodes because all the adults turn into tennagers. When evrybody eats the chocolate made by Ethan Rayne all the adults turn to raving teeanagers. In one part Buffy catches her mum (Joyce Summers) and her watcher (Giles) Kissing. I especially hate Principal Snyder in this episode because tell most of the pupils to sell the candy to make money for the bands new uniform. But what they don't know is that Ethan Rayne has put a special ingrediant in the chocolate and in the end Buffy succeeds once again and defeats Ehtan, hopefully he will not return.
  • Ethan Rayne(Giles old friend) hands out boxes of candy that turn the adults into teenagers.

This was a stand alone episode. I like this episode because you get to see what the adults act like when they were teenagers. I found it very amusing and entertaining to see Principal Snyder trying to act cool. So I take it, he was a complete nerd in high school. Joyce are Giles are also really funny and it's realling shocking to see what they acted like when they were teenagers. They acted like rebels. I think this episode is very hilarious. I thought is was funny when Principal Snyder was trying to be friends with Buffy and the gang.
  • Ethan Rayne brings trouble to town

Once again, we see Ethan Rayne back in Sunnydale causing trouble. Giles' old pal already stirred up things in the Halloween episode in season 2 and this time he's going for the whole town, this ist going to be great!!

To distract them from a major ritual, Ethan is feeding the townies magic cookies which turn the entire adult population of Sunnydale into rebelling teenagers.

Snider was so hilarious and I especially loved Joyce and Giles in this episode, their interaction is very memorable and will be mentioned more than once in the upcoming episodes!
    Also, we get to see how Giles was as a teen. We had narrations of that before, but now we actually see Ripper in action and he's a real badass... And the acting on that specific part was amazing, I loved how these actors did it!

Also, we get to see the reaction of the real teenagers to their parents' behaviour and there are so many great funny lines in this eppy!!
  • If this ever happens in real life, the person responsible will never see the light of day again!

Snyder was my favourite character this episode, Giles coming in second. Armin Shimerman and Anthony Head played their roles so well. I think what disturbed me most was the Bronze scene. Watching Willow’s doctor run around without his shirt on really grossed me out. Ick. Who knew adults that acted like teens were incredibly creepy?

The demon scene was really unconvincing. It could have been done better because it didn’t really look like it ate that unfortunate Vampire. I can’t believe that the sacrifice was babies. Babies of all things! Well, not things, but you get my drift. Thankfully, Buffy, Joyce, and Giles saved the day!
  • candy, candy, candy!!!!

this episode made me laugh so much. giles acting like a teenager so good!! princable synder was great it was good to see him acting like a teenager. i just love the episode. one of my all time favs. it was good to see ethan back being a loser as usual.
  • Oh Candy, You Came and Made Us All Teens Again

Another straight-forward comedy episode, Band Candy is one of those simple stories where the writer was clearly brainstorming random ideas and throwing them at Joss, and this was one that miraculously stuck. Whilst the principal idea is something very Sabrina-lite, Jane Espenson (in her first Buffy script) crafts a hilarious episode, featuring believable teenage versions of our favorite adult characters.

The metaphor-of-the-week in Band Candy involves maturity, with Buffy clearly wanting her elders to see that she has it, and later proving herself mature when the maturity her elders supposedly have is taken away from them. But although your sympathy mostly lies with Buffy in this scenario, I figured it was a little mean that she proved Joyce and Giles wrong all along only after they were affected by a curse. It's not like they were just their regular selves whilst running around breaking into stores and screwing on top of police cars...

Giles, Joyce and Principal Snyder are undoubtedly the stars of the show. Teen Giles is the rebellious rock star hinted at in The Dark Age (but, of course, pre-magick), teen Joyce is the good girl attempting to be "cool" and "edgy", whilst teen Snyder is the total loser everybody knows in high school, desperately trying to fit in with the cool kids. Anthony Stewart Head is particularly awesome in this episode, acting like a total Cockney rebel and kinda Spike-esque.

Outside of the A-story, I loved the subplot with Ethan and Lurconis, especially in the scene where Buffy flames him back into the sewer. The special effects pretty much sucked, but it's neat that they tried; giving us all a teaser for the other giant snake monster we'll be introduced to later on this year.

An effective monster-of-the-week episode, featuring excellent comedic performances and some scenery-chewing bad guys in the form of Ethan and Mr Trick.

Director: Michael Lange
    Writer: Jane Espenson
    Rating: B+
  • The whole town has become teenagers again and Ethan Rayne is back

Giles and Buffy preparing for SATs on patrol was great. I loved how Buffy decided to choose B because there hadn't been a B in a while because most people would do that.

All the adults in Sunnydale going back to being teens was amusing. I loved Snyder when he had his run in with the band candy. Giles and Joyce and that one teacher were incredibly funny.

It was interesting to see that in the beginning Buffy was sneaking around and being the teenager but towards the end she was taking on and adult role. You saw that she was trying to get more freedom and then she got it and she couldn't really handle it. I loved that she told Joyce that she'd be with Giles and Giles that she would be with her mom. I loved when Giles blindfolded her and had her throw the ball that was an interesting scene.

Buffy driving was also incredibly hilarious. I can see why she didn't pass the written test most people wouldn't take their eyes off the road for that long to play with the radio. I loved how freaked out Willow looked when she watched Buffy drive. I loved Snyder saying that Buffy drove like a spazz.

It was so sad that the demon they needed to stop was going to eat babies. I loved Giles and Buffy going after Ethan Rayne to obtain a good part of the information that they needed. I loved Giles just standing there panting and telling Buffy to hit him. I loved how Buffy criticized him for smoking too.

This was such an amazing episode and it started to open up the Mayor and his part being the villain of the season.
  • A light-hearted episode with some laugh-out-loud moments.

In 'Band Candy', the adults of Sunnydale are found to be a bit...immature? Turns out they had eaten the chocolate candy bars that the band was selling. But the chocolate made them act as if they were sixteen again and there were some funny moments. Seeing Giles as his former bad-ass self was awesome to see, although he did have sex with Buffy's mom on top of the cop car,(which Buffy later finds out). The gang starts noticing something's up when they go to the Bronze only to find it full of adults who are dancing and making out with each other (I won't even mention the karaoke). Snyder under the influence of the candy was hilarious, "Woah Summers you drive like a spaz!". But the people behind this whole thing were not doing this for the humor, they were in fact doing it all as a distraction so they could steal babies from a hospital to give to the thing they worshipped. Buffy eventually finds the culprit who planned the whole operation, Ethan Rayne, and finds out what the candy bar charade was all about. When Giles kept egging Buffy on to hit him and she finally did, his word, "Yes!!!", as he lept into the air was amusing. Well, Buffy keeps Ethan in check by handcuffing him (thanks to her mom for the prop) and she got all the babies back safely. This whole episode was just too humorous to watch just one time. And the awkward moments between Giles and Buffy's mom was priceless.
  • More reason to love Giles!

Favorite Quote: Cordelia: Mom started borrowing my clothes. There should be an age limit on Lycra pants. And Dad, he just locked himself in the bathroom with old copies of Esquire.

A very fun episode. The gang gets coerced into selling candy for the school band by Snyder. Candy is good, candy is fine, but not when it makes the adults revert to teenagers. It seems Mr Trick, the Mayor, and Ethan Rayne have joined forces to get the adults of Sunnydale out of the way while they prepare a sacrifice for a sewer demon. The sacrifice is babies. Thankfully, Buffy, Giles and the gang are able to stop the sacrifice. This was a wonderful episode for anyone who wondered what "Ripper" was like when he was a teenager.
  • Ethan Rayne is back, again!

When will Buffy kick Etahn Rayne's butt hard enough for him to learn to not come back to Sunnydale? The guy must be determined for failure, all his evil schemes are thwarted yet he still comes back for more.

Seeing Giles and Joyce together as their young selves really was very entertaining. It also shows how Giles is like a father figure to Buffy. I wonder if we will ever find out what really happened between them.

The mayor is evil as we all expected but he is also employing evil in the form of Mr Trick, well that wasn't expected. I saw him as an evil politician type who did everything themselves but he has actualy given some power to Mr Trick.
  • Writer Jane Espenson's first ep on Buffy. One of my favourites. Despite it been a light hearted eps The older (minor) characters were out of character and acting like teenagers.

The school kids have to sell candy (chocolate I assume) to raise money for the school band.

However Giles old nemises Ethan Rayne is hired to keep the adults of the town busy so a ritual sacrifice can be done without anyone noticing.

So Ethan spike the candy with a magical spell (I assume) that makes adults act out and rebel, just like teenagers...

The result is hilarious as Giles, Joyce and even the principal cause havoc across town. The Scoobies can't believe it, and their reaction to the adults antics are equally funny.

It is one of the eps where they are repercussions in later eps. They never fail to get a hearty laugh from me :)
  • Ethan Rayne, Giles' old friend, is back and playing the part of Willie Wonka, but there is more to his chocolaty treat than meets the eye. It turns the adults of Sunnydale into hormonal teenagers.

The bad guys' plan in this episode is insidious and downright creepy. They plan to sacrifice babies to a sewer-dwelling demon. The bad guys of Buffy the Vampire Slayer have learned that the best way to stay alive is to delegate the criminal activity. The Mayor delegates to Mr. Trick who delegates to Ethan Rayne.

By the time you get all the way down to Rayne, it is questionable how much he knows about the baby sacrificing. The Mayor is all the more creepy for his nonchalant attitude towards such an evil act. Both are obviously evil.

Once you get past the creepiness of The Mayor's motivation for an otherwise funny prank, this episode offers a lot of laughs. It is fun to see the adult characters acting out of character. My favorite was watching Snyder act out as a geeky teenager who wants friends. The plot was solid enough, and Band Candy garnered enough laughs to earn 7 out of 10.

-Matthew Miller
    Find this review and more at tv.swingthesickle.com
  • Cursed candy!

What a good episode Ethan Rayne is back and here to curse the candy and turn all of the adults into teenagers. If not slightly disturbing (Giles and Joyce on a police car!) Synder makes the gang sell the candy to raise money for the marching band, it even has him under his curse. The complete role reversal of Buffy being the Mum is very good. The ritual baby eating is obviously a sad story line but naturally Buffy is there to save the day! This episode also has some more of the Willow/Xander storyline where they are trying to fight there attraction for one another.
  • grown ups are kids...yawn

another bad season 3 episode. candy makes grown ups act like teenagers? how stupid is that? buffy goes as low as it can with this episode. it was soo boring and such a mes. first joyce and giles kiss and that asks for vomiting. then car crashes, baby eating demons and the list goes on. this is one of the shows worst episodes
  • Joyce and Giles relieve some sexual tension...

Band candy. Snyder has told all of the students that they must sell it despite their protests that they are not in the band. So Buffy guilts her mom and Giles into buying all of the candy. With that all taken care of she can concentrate on really important business – the SATs. She isn’t thrilled about taking them as she knows what her future holds, slaying. Buffy lies to both Giles, using them against each other to get a night off. She gets caught and the two of them are hanging out planning her future while snacking on the band candy. They tell her to leave while they finish and when she’s gone they act like kids at a party bringing out booze and listening to records and smoking. Buffy and Willow go to the bronze but instead of the usuals it’s all adults acting like kids. Joyce and Giles go on a little theft spree. They gang knows that something is up and goes to check it out. She finds her mom and Giles making out and freaks out (stay tuned for Earshot for more of what really happened). The group realizes that there is something in the candy and goes to the warehouse where they find that Ethan is behind the candy. The one thing that they don’t get is where all the vamps are where this seems to be a great feeding time. Turns of that a ritual is being done and that requires the eating of babies – that’s why the badies wanted the parents away. Buffy finds out where the ritual is being held and burns some snake butt.
  • A highly entertaining episode!..

Band Candy, isn\'t one of my all time favourites, however, it was an amusing, and entertaining episode to watch. The adults of Sunnydale became rebellious teenagers, leaving the actual teens to take on the role as the \"adults\".

Ethan ryane, produced a buch of chocolate bars, that the pupils at sunnydale high were told to sell to raise money for the band, but what they didnt know was the chocolates were designed to make the adults act like teenagers.

Buffy and the gang, fight to restore Sunnydales adults to themselves again.
  • A really fun episode in which the adults of Sunnydale begin acting like 'typical teens' while Buffy has to take on the 'mom' role to put things right. And we get Ethan back!

I really like this episode, despite the fact that it has little to do with anything. Oh, sure, they Mayor is involved in sacrificing babies, but really...that's just a bare plot element.

The fun is watching Giles become Ripper and Joyce to become ditzy. The fact that these two hook up is riotous. And of course, Ethan Raine is always fun!

It's rather cruel to use Chocolate as a weapon however... boo-hiss :-)

The main baddie here, besides the Mayor, is Luconis... yet another CGI snake demon. And like the other Snake-Demons he's a bore and doesn't play into the plot at all.
  • great episode

an evil man sends out band candy that makes adults act like children. it is kind of a funny premise. the best part about this episode is seeing giles and joyce let loose. and while they didn't show it we find out in a later episode that they get it on.
  • Hired by Mr. Trick to distract the adult population in Sunnydale so the mayor can take care of some unfinished business with a local snake demon, Ethan Rayne turns the grown-ups into teenagers with enchanted candy bars.

"Band Candy" is a "sobering mirror," as Oz so adroitly puts it. As frightening as our parents can be when they take their authority too far (see "Gingerbread"), it's even worse when they abandon their responsibilities altogether. As funny as Anthony Stewart Head is in this episode as the resurrected Ripper, Buffy seems somehow exposed without the adult Giles to rely on. And how much insight into the characters of Joyce Summers and Principal Snyder do we get from seeing them as kids? She's a wannabe, he's a hopeless loser, and it all makes perfect sense in light of what we know about their grown-up personas.

The kids being left to deal while their parents are absent is a fertile theme (just look at how many "Home Alone" movies were made) and while "Band Candy" works just fine as a one-off episode, the timing here is no accident. All of the main characters have made immature decisions recently -- Xander and Willow are cheating on Cordelia and Oz, Buffy is hiding Angel's return from her Watcher and friends -- and Jane Espenson's terrific debut script fits in perfectly. (Incidentally, along with "Homecoming," "Revelations," and "Lover's Walk," "Band Candy" appears on the strongest single disc in the "Buffy" DVD library.)

The only thing that keeps this one from classic status is something of a letdown in the ending. With her mother and Giles effectively absent, Buffy is rattled, and it would be nice to see her battle a more impressive enemy that an unconvincing CGI snake. (This show has a very poor record when it comes to reptile demons.) Despite his announcing his intention to do so, Mr. Trick doesn't fight Buffy in "Band Candy." And Ethan Rayne gets away, as he always does. We do learn a lot about the mayor in this episode, but Buffy isn't around for any of those scenes. Such an excellent setup deserves a greater payoff, one way or another.

That said, for pure comedy "Buffy" seldom gets this good, and Armin Shimerman and Kristine Sutherland particularly flourish given the opportunity to play beyond their normally more narrow roles. Tony Head's young Giles, with a different accent and complete disregard for law and order, is a delight to behold. And Joyce and Giles finally get together in this episode, too. It's something you had to be expecting -- after all, after Jenny Calendar's death they're the only two adult regulars -- but you know in the "real" world Giles would be too considerate of Buffy's feelings to ever pursue the chemistry he shares with the elder Ms. Summers. It's also a nice way of escalating the tension between the two after Joyce flat-out blamed Giles for Buffy's runaway in "Anne."

It's not as flashy as many of its Season Three brethren, but "Band Candy" holds up extraordinary well to repeated viewings. By this time it's a matter of course that even minor characters like Ethan and Devon will be used perfectly. The scene with all of the wasted old people at the Bronze? Terrifying, hilarious, and compelling all at once. "Are there any nachos in here, little tree?"
  • 'Mom started borrowing my clothes. There should be an age limit on Lycra pants. And Dad, he just locked himself in the bathroom with old copies of Esquire.'

‘Band Candy’ is another silly episode but unlike Homecoming, it lacks more spine on it’s rough edges.

The good thing about this episode is that it made grown-ups seem to be humans as well. The episode self was very original ‘Candy curse’ but it still lacks something and makes it so far my least favourite.

The comedy started off very good, with some hilarious moments but as the episode continued it got a little dragged down and the comedy became a little irritating. When I saw that snake demon for the first time was when I said ‘la-ame’ thankfully that was almost at the end/

This episode deals with Mr. Trick having to steal babies and in order to do that he needs the grown-ups out of the way. He calls for an old friend, okay not really. Ethan Rayne comes up with the candy curse idea and they make Snyder sell it.

The best part about this episode was without a doubt the Giles/Jenny scenes and interactions. Those were downright hilarious and well acted. The episode would have majorly ranked lower without their scenes. Also Snyder did something good, it was great to see him so loosen up instead of whiney.

Even though the episode had lots of goods, the baby storyline still really bothered me. I didn’t quite buy the candy thing and I hated Ethan Rayne, I think Giles should have shot him when he had the chance. But worse of all were Mr. Trick and The Mayor, both villains lack in so much and their character interactions are just dry and yawnworthy.

But anyway, the bronze scene was hilarious and that definitely brings up the score. Same goes to the scene where Buffy goes visiting Angel which was beautiful and the Willow/Xander relationship and playing with their feet under the table was adorable/

This episode was far from bad, infact I’m not afraid to call in giniousley. But that’s as far as I can go, I don’t think it was good enough for the episodes that have come before this and I undoubably wouldn’t have missed it if it had never been made. Though it was fun to know that Joyce and Giles did it.
  • One of my faveriot episodes.

I love this episode. The idea of making the adults into teenagers by eating candy was a great concept. And seeing Giles and Joyce together as teenagers was funny. Well just seeing how Giles was as a teenager was great. But I would have to say the funniest part was seeing how Principle Snyder was when he was younge...he was annoying:) This is by far my faveriot episode of the Buffy Series.
  • Great idea to make adults turn into teens by eaing chocolate

I absolutely loved the plot of this episode, hexed chocolate that turns an adult's persona into that of a teenager's. Especially so the Mayor can complete his devilishy evil deal with the demon Laconas. Oh and the side issue of Giles wanting Buffy to knock Ethan's teeth out and the whole Giles is a 50's style ' rebel without a cause ', just a whole lot of quite brilliant ideas to put in a cult TV show like Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

If only all of the following episode were up to this standard, personally I think maybe it could have continued on.
  • "They’re teenagers. That’s a sobering mirror to look into, huh?" - Oz

Buffy is feeling under pressure from the adults. She has to train, slay, do tests, sell chocolates, spend quality time with her mom and hide a secret boyfriend who has a predilection for half-naked Tai-chi. The adults are treating her as someone who has grown-up responsibilities but at the same time as a child, with no freedoms. Buffy’s response to this is to act like a child and lie – to Joyce, to Giles, to Angel. And their response is to get wasted on magically drugged chocolate and lose all of *their* responsibilities. Mr Trick, the capitalist vampire (“You make a good product and the people will come to you”), has sub-contracted to chaos-worshipper Ethan Rayne to get rid of the olds so that the Mayor’s demon chum (yet another terrible CGI snakey-monster) can eat some babies. A bit convoluted, but it makes for a great, and very funny, episode.

It’s also a fab opportunity for Joyce, Giles and Snyder, or rather, the actors who play these characters, to act out of character. Giles reprises Ripper-via-Spike and is brilliant. Joyce is a geek, impressed by bad boy Giles and his awful 70s prog-rock records (and she rolls her eyes in derision just like Buffy) and Snyder is a hanger-on twerp. Giles is particularly amusing when Buffy is attempting to beat information out of Ethan (“Hit him! You’re my slayer - go knock his teeth down his throat!”). Ripper is a better fighter than Giles and he never gets knocked out. Every teen’s dream of their parents acting more like a kid turns into a nightmare:- “The land of the irresponsible” as the Buffster puts it. She ends up parenting her parents, which is perhaps a little fore-tasting of Season 5. Meanwhile Xander and Willow are still acting immature also, their “secret love” only just hidden under the table.

The Mayor claims that unlike his peer politicians, he keeps his promises, but isn’t his requirement to offer a tribute to his Loconis just like a politician’s need to keep his or her donors and funders happy? There is a wonderful juxtaposition between the vampires’ candle-lit chanting rituals and the Mayor’s civic duties (voice-memo to his PA re: the exposed gas pipes). I love the Mayor. He, Mr Trick, and Ethan all escape and the presumed big fight between Mr T and the Slayer is deferred once again.

Of course the best scene comes at the end when Buffy thanks her lucky stars that she got to Joyce and Giles before they actually did anything. The uncomfortable look on both of their faces is marvellous and of this is paid off in the episode Earshot. All in all this is a far superior episode to the similar concept in Angel’s "Spin the Bottle".

One last thing: American chocolate is, by and large, horrible. It must have been pretty strong mojo that got everyone to eating it!
< 1 2