Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Bargaining (2)

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 02, 2001 on The WB

• Part two struggles a bit because it spends too much screen time dragging out the lame biker demon threat.

With that said, there's still plenty of important character development and powerful images that keep this episode alive and darkly cracking. Most of the great material, and where most of the episode focuses, comes from a very new, very confused, and desparately saddened Buffy. There's a lot of really fantastic subtle acting from SMG here, and even more in the follow up "After Life". Quick! To the heart of the review! Away!

Actually, before I begin I just want to express a grievance of mine in that a lot of people seem to talk about how many times Buffy dies and comes back like it's 'cool' or something. I really hate this because it gives off a really bad impression to new viewers. Buffy does not die a lot. In my mind she only genuinely dies, in the permanent sense, once in the entire series: "The Gift". The "dead in the medical sense" is really overblown by people and makes it seem like Buffy dying is frequent and a joke. This annoys me to no end. Stop talking like that! It scares away new viewers and isn't even really true.

With that said, Buffy's alive! There are so many ways this could have been handled poorly, but "Bargaining," "After Life," and the rest of S6 are fortunately up to the chore of handling this realistically. Here in this episode Buffy goes through three distinctive states starting with shock, then moving into utter confusion, then finally the dead weight that is depression. Let me preface my feelings about Buffy's mental state this season by saying that I've never been this depressed myself before, I cannot directly relate to her relationship with Spike, and I've never had reason to be quite that ashamed with my actions before.

I say all this because I still find all this subject matter utterly captivating and thought-provoking. To be able to get inside someone's head during extremely dark times, see how they struggle, and see them find the strength to pull out of it is something that's not only useful insight for me in case I ever need to help someone who's like this, but also if I myself ever have a really bad spell in my life. Also, this is all just plain fascinating to think about.

As long as you look closely, which sometimes requires noticing some sutble material, S6 is as strongly written as any other season of Buffy after the first, with the notable exception of Willow's characterization in "Wrecked". What's especially true is that the writers still completely excel at showing me what's inside the characters' heads and why they're doing what they're doing. Buffy does some shameful things this season but, you know, I understand why she's doing them and still sympathize while cheering her on to overcome very traumatic internal problems.

"Bargaining Pt. 2" begins a very long, very harsh road for Buffy to travel this season. As she's ripped out of heaven and dropped into her body on Earth she awakens in utter shock, trapped in her own coffin with no light aside from the residue of the spell that Willow casted, and has practically no air. This forces her to horrifyingly punch her way through her coffin, crawl up through the dirt, exactly like a vampire, and then claw her way to the surface -- all this nearly kills her immediately again. It's at this point where a particular scene in "Nightmares" becomes strikingly relevant: one of Buffy's worst fears was being buried alive and having to crawl out of her own grave. Well, Buffy is now forced to live this nightmare for real, and it's not pretty.

After her hand plunges from the dirt in her grave, she pulls herself out and in complete shock must stare at her own tombstone in the black of night. As she roams the streets of Sunnydale, in flames from the bikers, we get a visually impressive metaphor in that the literal burning is representative of hell itself. This is where Buffy thinks she is now, and I can't blame her when considering where she was only minutes earlier. Buffy looks completely disorientated, confused, and scared. The little touches, like how Buffy is pained and incredibly reactionary to loud noises and any bright light, add a lot to the overall effect of these sequences. The overall imagery here is very impressive and actually makes good use of a gang of demons that just terrorized the town.

Buffy finally wanders herself into the demon crowd, 100% disorientated and still without any words, to watch the final embodiment of a care-free existence of herself very violently ripped apart into pieces all over the ground -- another metaphor representing her loss of happiness and her mind being shattered into a ton of pieces. Welcome to S6 everyone! Some people fail to see that just because the later seasons don't use the supernatural to create commentary on life in high school doesn't mean it doesn't make use of metaphor anymore.

Eventually Buffy bumps into the Scoobies for the first time since being back, and she pretty much doesn't even recognize them. When Razor, the lead demon, starts making big threats Buffy steps up, takes a hit to her face, and then pummels him into the ground. The Scoobies are all excited by this behavior thinking that it indicates Buffy's mentally back, but her lack of pun or any comment whatsoever when looking over Razor's body signals something far scarier. The reason why Buffy fought was pure slayer instinct, nothing more. The Buffy of old is not back with a one episode trial and a cheery Ghandi quip or an "I'm good". Buffy is seriously damaged right now and it will take time to figure out just who this new person is. That person, alas, will never be the person she was pre-S6 which is exactly why Buffy is my favorite piece of 'entertainment' ever.

As Buffy's memories start to flood her brain she finds her way back to Glory's tower -- the spot of her last memories on Earth. When she finally reaches the top of tower, there's a quick and subtle moment where Buffy actually warmly smiles because she briefly replays the moment of complete clarity and purpose she reached in "The Gift". But this moment is short-lived when the reality of her current situation comes crashing down on her. Buffy wants that clarity of purpose back, so she places herself on the edge of the tower wanting to commit suicide to go back to the beautiful place she was at.

It's vitally important to realize that her first unique sentence in this season is "Is this hell?" She continues to tell Dawn, who arrives behind her on the tower, "It was so... clear... on this spot. I remember... how... shiny... and clear everything was. But... now... Now, nothing is clear: her purpose and her entire point of existing. Unbelieveable loss is all that she can feel now. This is why here, now, Buffy wants to be dead. As frightening and disturbing as this is, the episode does an excellent job of relating why Buffy feels this way.

After largely ignoring a weeping Dawn in a scene that should have been shorter due to MT's acting limitations, Buffy temporarily snaps out of her suicidal bout when Dawn becomes in real danger. So, like she did in "The Gift", Buffy instinctively does what she needs to do to save her sister. They grab onto rope and fall down on the exact spot Buffy's dead body lay in "The Gift". Glory's tower then finally crashes to the ground. Dawn's all excited that Buffy's finally back, but as the camera turns to Buffy's face all we see is an utterly bone-chilling expression. Buffy is not okay, and is devastatingly sad.

Although Buffy got a lot of critical attention this episode, Xander actually had some pretty important things to say as well. Right after the spell got broken up in the woods, Xander starts pressing Willow for answers. He says, "How come you didn't tell us how much- ... What were we into back there, Will? ... Do not get all avoidy on In addition to this, he's the first one to call them all stupid for what they did, which is appropiate, when he sees how damaged Buffy is. It's good to see Xander stepping up and expressing a bit of anger at being kept in the dark about certain details of this spell.

The only real problems I have with this episode are its laggy pace and the silly demon bikers. They've got pretty bad dialogue as well, although at least it's occasionally suitably gross. With Razor's gang rampaging through town I have to wonder where in the hell is the Sunnydale Police Department? And no, that one destroyed cop car doesn't count. Sure they're inept, but they'd at least be out in force. If a town was this wildly under assult a swat team would be in there extremely fast as well. They could have still made this plot work if there'd been more demons in the gang with the police shooting a bunch of them up in the background. But the way things stand, this group just ends up dragging an otherwise strong episode down.

Well, that pretty much sums up my thoughts on this one. When focused on Buffy, "Bargaining Pt. 2" is great. When focused on the demon bikers it's, well, not. As a whole it's still pretty good. Thankfully the follow-up we get in "After Life" quickly washes any remaining negative feelings of the biker demons away.
  • Season 6, Episode 2.

After a group of demons interrupts the resurrection spell, the Scoobies think that their spell failed. However, they succeeded in resurrecting Buffy... In her coffin. She is left traumatized after digging herself out of her own grave. The Slayer may be back, but will the Scoobies only lose her again?

I thought this episode was OK, but it got better toward the end. BuffyBot is finally gone for good. But regular Buffy is back! :) I loved the tower scene, although it started out so long. But I loved when she came back to normal when she heard Dawn scream and rushed to help her. I loved when they rushed off the tower and it almost fell on them. Great episode. :)
  • Bargaining (2)

Bargaining (2) was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Sixth Season, and was the second part of a two episode season opener. This episode was very entertaining. It was interesting to see what Willow and the Gang had to do to get Buffy back, and what she had to go through once she was back. This episode sort of sets the tone for the season, and gives clues in whats to come. I think this episode had good acting, a great story, and pulls the audience into whats happening. I can't wait to see the next episode and find out what happens next!!!!!
  • Buffy + UPN = Resurrected Buffy

Great way to start the season, although, the initial "Season Premiere" is actually 3 episodes long, this 2nd half of what was a two hour premiere, starts off very well. Much of the characters lives are explored as they have been masquerading the Buffy-bot around as the Slayer, in hopes of keeping the illusion that Buffy is still alive(no new Slayer has been called because Faith is still alive). Willow has pretty much mastered the telepathy she used in the S5 finale, Xander is still the same. Dawn is no longer the Key, but Spike still watches over as a way of a redemption for him not getting to Dawn in time before. Giles is also leaving for England and leaving Anya the Magic Shop.
    The emotions from each of the characters are well done, but this episode tends to get a bit on the darker side, more like an Angel episode, than a Buffy one. Although, it has the famous one liners and jokes Buffy is known for, it feels a bit out of place this time around. The Demon Biker gang was an ok way to throw Buffy right into the middle of things again, but it seemed more like an excuse to break up the team and have a reason for Buffy to have to dig herself out of her own grave. The Demon Biker Gang also lends itself to one of the biggest plot holes; Where are the damn cops!!!! An entire town is being looted and terrorized and not one cop is shown to even try and stop them. It's a no wonder there needs to be a Slayer.
  • fAntastic second part of the season opener.

Bargaining had got me hooked right back into the show and it didn't let go at all through this seasons run.
    the conclusion of the 1st part saw Buffy being russurected unbeknownst to the rest of the scoobies and the pace suddenly quickens as the demon bikers are now transforming Sunnydale into a hell on earth.
    is Buffy ready to take them on???
    Spike and Dawn battle to survive,and the scoobies are split into two groups.
    they are all united in a remarkable fashion and the action escalates to new levels.
    is it just me of does Buffy look like Madonna from the Frozen video???(i mean that in a remarkable way as tht is my fave song:D).
    well,season 6 has gotten off to a fine start and the pace never slows down through the remaining 20 episodes.
  • Dead Slayer Walking, Part 2

Bargaining, Part 2-As a gang of demon bikers attack, the Scooby Gang is chased away from Buffy's gravesite thinking that the resurrection was a failure. They do not realize that the Slayer is alive...right where they left her. Buffy is awake but disoriented and afraid as she must claw her way out of her own grave. The Slayer is back, but if her friends cannot get to her and snap her out of the daze she is in, they may lose Buffy all over again.

After setting up some choatic events and leaving us with a errie cliffhanger as Buffy is brought back to life, "Bargaining, Part 2" builds on part 1 makes for a more engaging and surreal(ish) hour. I like how Buffy's return isn't filled with rushed "hellos" and melodramatic "welcome backs", but the world seems like hell through Buffy's eyes as she walks around Sunnydale during it's rampage. You feel bad for Buffy as she is returning to a world that just doesn't seem the same as she left it and is worse than before. The scene where Buffy reunites with the gang is quite sad as they realize that worked in the most awful way as Buffy had to dig out of her own grave as she covers her bloody hands. The fight scene between the gang and the Road Pirates was also an excellent scene, especially with Buffy kicking a$$ again, Xander calling himself a "man witch", and Tara killing a demon with an axe.

Also, I liked Spike protecting Dawn throughout this hour as it's suprising how a guy without a soul can be loyal. It's sad to see the Buffybot go though, such a funny little robot she was. There were some cool SFX effects when Dawn finds the destroyed Buffybot and she tells her Buffy is back. The final scenes of the episode are very touching as Buffy and Dawn reunite on the tower where Buffy died. Michelle Trachtenberg is great in that scene as she tries to comfort her sister who is confused and disoriented. It's a strong moment between both characters showing their unconditional bond as sisters as Buffy comes to her senses just in time to save Dawn once again. Yet at the episode ends, you can sense there is still apart Buffy that is missing and the expression on her face leaves you worried on how coming death again may have changed her. A stunning conclusion to this terrific premiere whichs starts off the dark, ominous tone for the rest of the season.
  • "You're telling me there's no Slayer in Sunnydale?" - Razer

When the urn breaks and the spell disrupted, Willow finally starts to accept reality and grieve for her friend: "Buffy's really gone!" Willow has felt responsible for Buffy's soul which she thinks, perhaps unreasonably, is in hell. She has told the gang: "I can't leave her there anymore", as if only she, the all powerful Wicca, can release her from it. Giles later calls Willow arrogant, which seems an understatement. But as Gothbuffy rises from the grave, it seems that it's actually Apocalypseydale that is a vaseline-screen pit of hell. Buffy walks through the fire seeing death and destruction and then her avatar destroyed by the biker gang. She lives her death again as the robot is smashed and broken, an oversize metaphor for how Buffy feels.

Meanwhile, Spike has taken his promise to protect Dawn very seriously, and, after sharing a grin at the chaos outside steals, a bike in order to do so. Dawn has suffered much loss in her one short year of life: Riley, Joyce, Buffy, now Giles and her robotic sister. Even her father has not bothered to show up: they are pretending Buffy is still alive so that Dawn can stay in the Summers home with Willow and Tara – and the Buffybot, as Dawn snuggles up to it. The bot is gone but not before she hints to her "sister" that the real Buffy is out there somewhere, vulnerably walking into the vainglorious, victorious gang's domain. The scoobs have regrouped and ventured out once more to find Spike and Dawn; they find neither and just as Xander says: "No more surprises" (a bit like surmising: "Things can't get any worse"), they bump into Buffy who can't see or hear properly; she is locked inside herself as she is for the rest of the series.

The gang realise the first cost of their actions: Buffy, who expressed her phobia about being buried alive way back in S1, has had to claw her way out of her own grave. Her instincts kick in and she fights to protect them but then runs away from her friends like a hunted animal. The gang try to comfort Buffy and themselves: "It's gonna be alright, you're home now," "She's herself again", "She'll be fine":– they don't understand that things are harder than they seem, that the consequences of their actions will be far-reaching, even as far as the final series and the release of the First Evil. The gang fight together as in the first scene but this time with Realbuffy instead of Robobuffy. And once more, in this supposedly feminist show, the threat of sexual violence is made, reminding women what can happen to them (and the threat is made explicitly to the females: "…tend to tear up little girls"), but perhaps this is a counterpoint to Razer being beaten by the three "little girls" with lead pipes.

Meanwhile, Buffy has found the tower which, for some reason, hasn't been dismantled (was a non-demon Mayor never elected to sort out the town?) and climbs up it, like a suicidal person trying to kill themselves in the same way again and again. She wants to get back to heaven, to escape this hell. Her friends, so determined to bring her back, never saw the look of longing toward death as she jumped from the tower the first time. But just as Buffy saved Dawn in The Gift, here Dawn has to save her sister. Buffy's first words are "no!" as the bot is destroyed, then "Dawnie" and finally: "Is this hell?" She is not grateful, she is not happy, she is not glad to be back. The spell worked, but at the same time it really didn't. As Buffy said in the previouslies: "Why can't you people leave me alone?"
    Dawn tells her that she can't exist without Buffy: "I need you to live," and the connection with her sister makes the slayer want to live more than she wants to die. At the same time, she is dragged back into slaying and responsibility, just as she was previously whenever her friends were in danger. Dawn says: "Whatever you've been through, it's over now," - her intentions are good but she is wrong. This is only the beginning. The two echo Buffy's previous descent as both crash to the ground, but the fall from grace is a hint of things to come - made more concrete as Dawn comforts Buffy: "You're home", but we see from Buffy's expression that she is very far from it. The peace of death is gone.
  • buffy is in hell

MUCH better than the previous episode and much better than the gift. the episode is very well done and the best scene waa when buffy has to dig herself out of her own coffin. i felt a little bad for buffy when she wnated to jump. thank dawn she ws there to stop her.

the episode was very well done. i felt bad for buffy and how she was just back and everything was tough. we learn about about it in the next episode. also glad that the buffy bot was dead!
  • Buffy's back from the dead...again

Xander: Our spell. Our resurrection spell worked like a magic charm. We brought you back to life, Buffy. Right where we left her. Willow: Oh god.
    Xander: In her coffin.

It's pretty horrific actually - Buffy clawing her way out of her own coffin, yuck. Anyway, there's the old ass kicking action going on again, the BuffyBot's pulled apart, and Spike rides a motorbike. Pretty good overall.
  • This episode is painful! Buffy is back but everything is so cruel. she thinks she's in hell. later on we learn that she was in heaven. she alost jumps again. I felt so bad for her. I think I never felt so bad for her before. poor Buffy.

Bargaining part 2

This one is even better than the first one. it's so harsh and cruel and definitely one of the most sad for Buffy. every scene was necessary and beautiful. It's a great episode and very sad and the last scene is even prettier. Buffy thought she was in hell. and she isn't so happy to be back.

cut to the gang having Buffybot now. cut to Tara and Anya finding Xander and Willow. cut to Xander telling Anya and Tara to meet in the magic shop. they have to split up. cut to Buffy in her coffin digging her way out. cut to Xander and Willow. she wakes up and she realise that Buffy's gone now. there is no other and no other way to bring Buffy back. she says it was all for nothing. cut to Anya and Tara. they escaped but those demons are gonna make a lot of damage. cut to Spike and Dawn. the demons are destroying Sunnydale and Spike has to take Dawn away because he can't save her there. cut to Buffy coming out of her grave. she is all confused.

Then Buffy goes to the city where everything is burning and hard and cruel. cut to Tara and Anya coming in the shop. it's empty and Anya's glad it isn't ruined. Tara knows how to find Willow. cut to the woods. Xander and Willow are lost when they suddenly see a light. Willow says it's Tara and they follow it. cut to Spike and Dawn outside. they see the demons destroying everything and Spike knows that the only way to escape is grabbing one bike so he stands in the way and hits a guy off and then grabs the bike and takes off with Dawn.

cut to Xander and Willow finally arriving. They need to find Spike and Dawn but they are pretty helpless cause they don't have a way to defeat them. they need Buffy but Willow says that they failed and that they are it. they need to go soon. cut to the demons planning on staying. Buffy is close and watches. they have Buffybot and are tearing her to pieces and then Buffy screams after the Buffybot being tarred away. they think she's another robot and go after her.

she runs over a venge. on the other side are Willow, Tara, Xander and Anya. Willow thinks it was her fault and Tara says that it wasn't meant to be. then they see Buffy, they think it's the Buffybot but Willow sees she isn't. Buffy runs away and they rum after her. Buffy is very traumatized and the gang doesn't know what to do. but they are happy she's back and realise that she came back in her coffin and she had to dig herself out of it and they blame themselfs that. then the demons are there too and attack them. Buffy is very mad then and she starts to beat them up and she is a lot stronger than them.

cut to Spike and Dawn on the bike arriving to the place. Dawn sees the Buffybot tarred into pieces (looks VERY real, well done) and it says that she ran off but then she says that it was the other Buffy that went away. then the Buffybot dies. Spike says that Willow won't be able to fix her this time and then he doesn't see Dawn. Dawn ran away to find her sister. cut to the gang with Buffy. Buffy then kills all the bad guys but she's still traumatized and she runs away. but the boss of them is still alive and wakes up.

he attacks them and he's very strong. cut to Buffy running and one attacks her but she kills him and then she sees the thing were she jumped off. cut back. Willow has some power and she can slow the demon off and then he grabs her to kill Willow, Tara kills him with an axe (her first) cut to Dawn going to the place where Buffy jumped off.
    cut to Buffy up there. she remembers when she jumped and how it was. then Dawn stands suddenly behind her and asks Buffy if she's really there. Buffy thinks this is hell and says that everything was so clear. and now it's not. the toward is gonna fall and it starts to brake and Buffy wants to jump but Dawn screams for not to. she tried to live but it's too hard and then the toward begins to fall so Buffy grabs Dawn and she saves her and then the tower falls. Dawn says that Buffy is finally home and very glad but Buffy doesn't look very happy.

Best episode quotes:

Xander: I'm pretty sure she's okay. Or as okay as someone who's just had snakes coming out of their mouth. What the hell was that all about, Tara?
    Anya: Less talk, more running away.

Willow: Xan ... Xander, where - where-
    Xander: Shh! We're using our quiet voice, Will.
    Willow: Wh-wh-where's Tara?
    Xander: Off and running. Like we need to be. We gotta keep moving.
    Willow: Oh ... right. Demons ... on bikes.
    Xander: Yeah. We got trouble. Right here in Hellmouth City. And our very own robo-Buffy led them right to us.
    Willow: Buffy! The ritual! We have to go back.
    Xander: Will. I told you.
    Willow: We have to try again.
    Xander: No, we can't.
    Willow: We have to, Xander! I - she - she's waiting! She's counting on us, on, on me! I can't leave her there any more, I won't. We have to finish.
    Xander: Shh! Will .. .the urn of cirrhosis...
    Willow: Osiris?
    Xander: Yeah. It got kind of...
    Willow: Broken. It's broken. I remember.
    Xander: So we'll find another one. Better made. Anya and I will jump back on the web-
    Willow: There is no other one.
    Xander: Okay, we'll fix this one. A little tape, a dab of Crazy Glue.
    Willow: No. It's no use. The urn's defiled. It's gone. Nothing, it was all for nothing. Buffy's gone. She's really gone.

Dawn: We-we have to wait for the others-
    Spike: Look! Dawn, I get that you're scared. But I'm your sitter, so mind me. I'm not gonna let any of those buggers lay so much as a warty digit on you.

Anya: Xander.
    Tara: They're all right.
    Anya: Then where are they? Why aren't they here?
    Tara: I don't know.
    Anya: They could be hurt. Xander could be lying somewhere broken and bleeding, calling out my name.
    Tara: Anya.
    Anya: Like that, oh god! What if, what if they're really hurt, what if they're dead?
    Tara: They're not.
    Anya: How do you know?
    Tara: Because he's with Willow. And if something ... happened, I'd know. (softly) And so would you.
    Anya: You think?
    Tara: I'm sure of it. They're fine. They're both fine. Maybe they got lost, in the woods.
    Anya: The woods? Are we going back to the woods? I hate the woods. All those woodsy trees.
    Tara: No, it's okay. Lost is good. Willow and I always know how to find each other!
    Anya: With yoga?

Xander: Okay, this is really starting to grate my cheese. These woods aren't that big. Now, I know we've been going straight because I've been following the North Star.
    Willow: Xander. That's not the North Star. It's an airplane.

Willow: Xander, it's-
    Xander: A bug! A big fiery bug!
    Willow: Xander-
    Xander: Get off! Do fireflies bite? No, they probably burn, don't they? They - yaa!
    Xander: Xander, it's not a bug. It's Tara.
    Willow: Come on.
    Xander: And how long have you known that your girlfriend's Tinkerbell?

Anya: Already been looted, sorry! Uh, try the appliance store down the block, they've got great toasters.
    Xander: Anya!
    Anya: Xander? I knew you weren't dead.
    Xander: Wow, then why was I so worried?
    Tara: Are you-
    Willow: Uh, not yet. But, but I will be. Where's Dawn and Spike?
    Tara: We've been calling the house, but-
    Xander: Maybe they're on their way here. I mean, this place is NORAD, and we are at DefCon One. Okay, I so need male friends.
    Willow: We have to go out and look for them.
    Xander: There's this guy at work I kind of hit it off with. Tito. I mean, he seems like a good... You were talking about Dawn and Spike, of course.
    Anya: Um, question.You want us to go back out there?
    Willow: Well, yeah. Uh, unless somebody's got a better idea.
    Anya: Well, um, it's just ... we're minus a Buffybot. And, uh, Spike is missing in action somewhere with Dawn, and Giles flew away, and, uh, well you, you're looking a little magicked-out.
    Xander: Ahn honey, we're nearing your point, right?
    Anya: It's just, how are we supposed to fight these guys? I mean, we can take a vampire or two, sure, but there's a whole cavalcade of demons out there ... I mean, I think this, you know ... it, it takes, um ... I mean, I ... we need...
    Xander: Buffy.
    Anya: Buffy.
    Willow: Buffy ... is not coming back.We failed. So ... we're it, gang.

Tara: It wasn't your fault. We, we don't know if the spell would have worked, even if the demons hadn't-
    Willow: It would have worked.
    Tara: Well ... maybe...
    Willow: What?
    Tara: Maybe it wasn't supposed to. I mean, those demons showing up at the exact wrong time? Maybe we really were in over our heads. Invoking forces that we have no right to. Maybe the fates sent down all that destruction on us to stop us. I mean...
    Willow: You mean, maybe it was my fault.
    Tara: No. No.

Willow: Buffy? Buffy, are you... It's Willow. Can you hear me?
    Anya: What's wrong with her?
    Willow: Nothing! She - she's ... she's in shock.
    Tara: Her hands are bleeding. Her fingers.
    Anya: Oh, she's filthy.
    Xander: Oh no.
    Willow: What?
    Xander: No. How could we ... so stupid!
    Willow: Xander!
    Willow: Oh god.
    Willow: In her coffin.
    Tara: She had to ... dig out of her own grave.
    Willow: Buffy.
    Xander: Buffy, it's Xander. We're sorry. We didn't know. Buffy.
    Tara: You aren't reaching her, she's too traumatized.
    Anya: Hey, Buffy. Uh, here's some good news that might perk you right up. Uh, Xander and I have an announcement.
    Xander: Anya!
    Anya: What? Just trying to help.
    Xander: Buffy .... it's gonna be all right. We brought you back. You're home now. Yeah, that's it. You're home.
    Razor: Yeah, welcome home, Slayer. Alive and kickin' after all! Well, alive, anyway. Not looking too good, though, is she?
    Xander: I don't see you winning too many beauty contests. unless the Miss "My Face Fell Off" pageant gets going.
    Razor: Big axe you got there.
    Xander: The better to cut you down to size, grandma.
    Tara: Incindere.
    Razor: Ah. So you got a witch in the mix.
    Tara: More than one.
    Xander: I happen to be a very powerful man-witch myself. Or ... male... Is it a warlock? Warlock.
    Anya: Plus, we have a Slayer here, uh, who might actually be looking to eat some brains, so, I think a little quiet moseying, no hard feelings, and I'm sure your demon horde won't think any the less of you.
    Razor: Now, my boys, see, that's tricky. They came looking for a massacre ... and I think you got exactly enough magic between you for a kiddie birthday party.
    Willow: Then you'd be wrong.
    Razor: Whoa. Well, I better back off, or you might, what? Pull a rabbit out of a hat?
    Anya: Don't, don't do that! Why would she do that?
    Willow: We don't want trouble ... you don't want trouble.
    Razor: Of course we want trouble, we're demons. We're really all about trouble.
    Willow: Not this kind.
    Razor: Oh. I get your point. Now let me tell you something, children. We're not gonna fight you. We're just gonna hold you down and enjoy ourselves for a few hours. You might even live through it. Except that certain of my boys got some anatomical incompatibilities that, uh, tend to tear up little girls.

Willow: Tara!
    Tara: Nobody messes with my girl.

Dawn: Buffy ... how.... Is it you? I mean really? What are you do- No! Don't! Don't jump, Buffy, don't move! Just walk to me. Please! Please? I'm your sister. Dawn. We were up here ... together, and then ... you went away. And you don't wanna do that again. I don't know how you're back, but you are, and please, just stay still. Or-or move. But-but towards me. Because the tower was built by crazy people and I don't think it's holding up very well. Talk to me. Say something!
    Buffy: Is ... this hell?
    Dawn: What?
    Buffy: Is this hell?
    Dawn: No! Buffy, no! You're here ... with me. Whatever happened to you, whatever you've been through, it's ... it's over now. You're- We have to get off this tower!
    Buffy: It was so ... clear ... on this spot. I remember ... how ... shiny ... and clear everything was. But ... now ... now...
    Dawn: Buffy ... please ... listen to me. You told me I had to be strong ... and I've tried. But it's been so hard without you. I'm sorry. I promise I'll do better, I will! If you're with me. Stay with me ... please. I need you to live. Live! For- Buffy!
    Buffy: Dawn.
    Dawn: Buffy!
    Buffy: Dawn!
    [they jump off the platform]
    Dawn: Buffy? Buffy. You ... you ... you're really here. You're alive, and you're home. You're home.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 10
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 10
  • Buffy is resurrected from the grave, although her friends think the act failed. But this isn't the same Buffy. Trying to cope with being ripped out of the afterlife, she goes to the scene of her death. Dawn follows her, determined to not let Buffy die

This episode is fantastic. It is also a major tear-jerker. It takes off where the last installment ended, with Buffy resurrected from death, trying to get her bearings. I must say whether it is the writers or the directors or even the producers, deserve immense credit as Buffy barely speaks in this episode, yet you can feel everything she is thinking. You can see her displacement, her loss, she doesn't belong in this world, and she knows it, we know it, but her friends have no clue. After killing most of the Hellion demons trying to run Sunnydale she runs off to the site of her death, Glory's ritual altar. She climbs up to the top and relives the experience. Dawn reaches her and calls out to her, begging her to not jump, to not die. The altar starts to collapse, causing the Slayer instinct in Buffy to kick in and she saves Dawn and herself from being killed by the falling altar. On the ground, Dawn is thankful to have her sister back, but Buffy is speechless. She is lifeless, yet living.