Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Beer Bad

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 02, 1999 on The WB

7.4
  • Beer Bad

Ah yes, the episode many people consider to be the worst in BtVS. What's my take on it? Well, it isn't all that great, but the first half has a lot of really good material in it. The main plot isn't terrible in theory, but in execution we have a completely different tale. I'll just outright say that the big problem is that there is far too many extended sequences involving the cavemen running around and grunting. But, since I can't stand beer myself I am pretty amused of the idea that excessive beer turns people into cave men/women, which honestly isn't far from the truth anyway. This is without a doubt not even close to the worst episode of the series though.

All of the character interaction is handled perfectly. Right in the beginning Buffy is day dreaming about saving Parker from vampires at which point he apologizes to her and says he sees how wrong he was. She's interrupted by seeing him chatting up another girl and Professor Walsh talking about the "pleasure Buffy then, very amusingly, has another dream where Parker gives her the same speech and then gives her flowers and some kind of ice cream too. I really like how the writers aren't glossing over her sexual encounter with Parker, because it's actually really important to address further. This is a big deal in Buffy's life -- an experience she's learning from. She finds out from Riley that Parker "sets 'em up and knock's 'em This is the point when Buffy stops trying to make excuses for Parker and looks to herself for blame. She tells Xander "I'm a slut ... These are natural thoughts after an experience like this and it's meaningful to see Buffy thinking about it. Xander offers a little sympathy but can't help much.

It's at this point when Buffy begins drowning her sorrows with beer. This is understandable even though it's not fun seeing her do that to herself. Cave Buffy begins to now emerge and there's a few interesting things that happen after this point. The first is more just being entertained than interested: Cave Buffy spinning around in a chair. I can't pinpoint why I love this so much but I do. Xander walks in on her and then she starts coming onto him on a primal level. Is it just the fact that Xander's male to why she's all over him, or does it possibly have something to do with a buried attraction for Xander himself? Maybe I'm stretching, but I think this gives some possibility to a Buffy/Xander relationship post-S7.

It's worth noting that even as a cavewoman Buffy still has instinct to help others in a time of crisis. Even though she can be selfish at times (aren't we all though?), the core of her being is selfless and will always be that way -- it's who she is. This point is brought across blindingly clear when she even saves Parker from death (although she, quite hilariously, knocks him out first). After everyone is outside and safe Parker begins to actually apologize, although I honestly believe that it's only because she just saved his life and that he really isn't sorry at all. Thankfully, Cave Buffy can see right through it and knocks him out again. Can I just (Look! An un-academic outburst! What can I say, academia can suck the fun out of things sometimes ;))

Problems are beginning in the Willow/Oz relationship. Willow is noticing that Oz has become awestruck by this new band's singer, Veruca. It's the same girl who Oz passed by and 'sensed' back in "Living Conditions" (4x02). We can see Willow trying to pry Oz away from being all mesmorized by Veruca, but her charms aren't working. This issue is directly addressed in "Wild at Heart" (4x06). Willow, a bit concerned about Oz, goes out for a break and sees Parker sitting down for a coffee. This is certainly my favorite scene of the episode. Parker goes on about how people should be able to engage in casual sex without expecting committment. I agree with him, but only if both partners are in 100% agreement about that. The problem is that Parker misleads people into thinking he does want a lasting relationship just to break down their barriers so they'll have sex with him; it's disgusting. Anyway, Willow acts like she's buying his act and then nails him where it hurts by saying "how gullible do you think I am?" That in combination with Buffy clubbing him over head with a stick is enough to allow Buffy, and myself, to move on. Lets not forget we also get to see Riley punch him for what he did to Buffy in "The Initiative" (4x07).

That pretty much wraps up all there is to say about this one. The cursed boys that run around grunting for large portions of the episode certainly don't spark my interest and rub off as really stupid, but I think that's the point. I think it could have been made without being boring to watch though. All the great character development going on with Buffy, Willow, Oz, and a little bit of Xander really help give this episode substance which prevents it from completely sucking and is why it avoids sinking into useless territory. I'd take something like this over "I Robot, You Jane" (1x08) or "Bad Eggs" (2x12) anyday.

• Ah yes, the episode many people consider to be the worst in BtVS.

It's worth noting that even as a cavewoman Buffy still has instinct to help others in a time of crisis. Even though she can be selfish at times, the core of her being is selfless and will always be that way -- it's who she is. This point is brought across blindingly clear when she even saves Parker from death. After everyone is outside and safe Parker begins to actually apologize, although I honestly believe that it's only because she just saved his life and that he really isn't sorry at all. Thankfully, Cave Buffy can see right through it and knocks him out again. Can I just

Problems are beginning in the Willow/Oz relationship. Willow is noticing that Oz has become awestruck by this new band's singer, Veruca. It's the same girl who Oz passed by and 'sensed' back in "Living Conditions". We can see Willow trying to pry Oz away from being all mesmorized by Veruca, but her charms aren't working. This issue is directly addressed in "Wild at Heart". Willow, a bit concerned about Oz, goes out for a break and sees Parker sitting down for a coffee. This is certainly my favorite scene of the episode. Parker goes on about how people should be able to engage in casual sex without expecting committment. I agree with him, but only if both partners are in 100% agreement about that. The problem is that Parker misleads people into thinking he does want a lasting relationship just to break down their barriers so they'll have sex with him; it's disgusting. Anyway, Willow acts like she's buying his act and then nails him where it hurts by saying "how gullible do you think I am?" That in combination with Buffy clubbing him over head with a stick is enough to allow Buffy, and myself, to move on. Lets not forget we also get to see Riley punch him for what he did to Buffy in "The Initiative".

That pretty much wraps up all there is to say about this one. The cursed boys that run around grunting for large portions of the episode certainly don't spark my interest and rub off as really stupid, but I think that's the point. I think it could have been made without being boring to watch though. All the great character development going on with Buffy, Willow, Oz, and a little bit of Xander really help give this episode substance which prevents it from completely sucking and is why it avoids sinking into useless territory. I'd take something like this over "I Robot, You Jane" or "Bad Eggs" anyday.
  • Terrible!

Beer Bad

The Good;

Okay there is some, Willow's Jerry Springer style confession (anyone ever read the hilarious Buffy Springer Show fanfic? Much of the Xander the bartender stuff is funny. Giles describing caveBuffy as walking with a 'sideways limp'. Willow's confrontation with Parker. Buffy's great dream sequence (is that chocolate chip cookie dough fudge he's holding?)

The Bad;

Everything else, possibly the worst Buffy episode ever?

Best line;

Xander; "Nothing can defeat, THE PENIS!" (how true!)

Character death;

Nope, no one dies at all

Knocked out

Yep, Willow, Xander (and Parker)

Women good/men bad;

The first thing the cavemen do is find a pair of pretty girls and drag them back to their 'cave'. Buffy's mooning after Parker does her no favours, he's treated her badly so she still wants him? When it comes to Parker and Buffy I always wonder what if the roles were reversed, if Buffy dumped Parker and then when she changes her mind and tries to apologise he knocks her out? What would we think then? And in fairness Parker does go to help Willow when the cavemen attack.

Kinky dinky;

Is it just me or does anyone else deep down want Parker to succeed in 'jumping Willow's bones'? And then mid-coitus she should turn the tables on him American Pie style. "Say my name bitch!". Also Willow seems to think that Buffy had group sex with the 4 students, love the way her mind works! Buffy calls herself a slut, Veruca thinks Willow is a groupie.

Calling Captain Subtext;

Willow tells Parker she's 'Tired of you men and your manliness'. CaveBuffy thinks Xander smells nice

Guantanamo Bay;

Parker tries to apologise to Buffy so she bashes him over the head with a lump of wood

Where's Dawn?

Apparently Joyce always said beer was evil which is weird when you see teenage Joyce in Band Candy and considering she wanted Buffy to be at a college with boys and keg parties?

Questions and observations;

Quite possibly the worst ever episode of Buffy although rewatching it is does have some quite good humour in it and SMG gives a tremendous performance as Cavegirl Buffy. Feels like an ep of Charmed. Again, not sure about Parker, he doesn't actually do anything wrong, he just doesn't want a relationship with her as he explains to Willow (in many ways he reminds me of Barney from 'How I Met Your Mother'). Willow compares Veruca to Faith (not a compliment in her book) Oz's growing attraction to her is clear to see.

Marks out of 10; 4/10

• oh dear! you got to be kidding!

i love buffy! but this episode is just crap... bad dialogues and (i can't believe i'm saying this) actually bad acting! usually i'm a big fan of the 'filler episodes' that stands for themselves, but this one is just not working... beer turns you, especially when you're underaged, into neanderthals! oh come on! the audience can take better metaphores than this, joss. and neanderthals are sooo lame! actually this episode is pretty similar to band candy, but unfortunately way inferior.
    but let's not leave out the positive aspect of this episode...alyson hannigan was amazing and saved this one at least to some extent!
  • This episode wasn't as good as most episodes!

In this episode, Buffy is still hurting about Parker, and guys at a bar take advantage of her and give her tons of beer, which turns out that the beer has been cursed to make them act as the manager sees them. The only real good parts were when Willow led Parker on just to yell at him for what he did to Buffy, and when Buffy saved Parker and he's apologizing, and she just hits him over the head and knocks him out! All in all, not a very good episode, and it didn't live up to the Buffy standard.
  • Season 4, Episode 5.

Buffy, trying to get over Parker, and a group of upper-class students drown their troubles in an excess of beer. However, it soon becomes visible that beer does not have a good effect on the Slayer. Xander gets a job at the college bar.

This was an obvious filler episode. It wasn't that bad though. It wasn't that good either. Sarah Michelle Gellar looked beautiful yet again in this episode, and her performance was as amazing as always. Riley and those college students were hot. I wouldn't mind living with them. ;) The thing with Oz and Veruca was weird. This episode just seemed so different. Weird episode. The series could have went on without it. I gave it a higher rating for the eye candy though.
  • Beer Bad

Beer Bad was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was good because new twists and turns were developed. There was some character development, good "old times" and funny moments. There was also introductions to new characters that I believe we will see agin really soon, like the next episode! The stories in this episode were pretty interesting and I look forward to finding out what happens next. The supernatural aspect of the show was a little more minor than usual, however it made for a fun episode. Zander gets a job near the campus, and trouble ensues when Buffy makes some new friends.
  • Worst episode ever!

3.1
    Beer Bad has got to be the worst episode ever made. I love Buffy it is my favourite programme ever but if this was the first episode that i had ever seen i would never watch it again. Absolutely terrible. The storyline is just awful. Buffy as a cavewoman what a ridiculous idea.
  • Good Xander quotes: Nothing can defeat the penis! & Well, excuse me, Mr. 'I spent the sixties in an electric-kool-aid-funky-Satan groove.'

So my favorite part about this episode (other than a drunken Buffy, laughs all around) is the part where Willow plays the part of the sappy girl listening to Parker’s sad story, giving the right amount of emotion, seemingly being pulled into buy his lies. Then at the end she starts to laugh at him and ask him if he really thought that his tricks would work on her. I loved how she stood up for herself, Buffy and all women really. Willow: That's right. I got your number, id boy. Only thing you're thinking about is how long before you can jump on my bones. On a sad Willow note, this is the first we see of Veruca (b*tch). Buffy: Want beer. Like beer. Beer good.
    Xander: Beer bad. Bad, bad beer. What the hell am I saying?
  • Shudder.

2.8
    This episode has got to be the worst episode of buffy ever!

I mean come on BEER FREAKIN BAD?

The plot was so stupid so bad it maid me a little insane (i mean that)god i hate it.

Also buffy had so meny great episodes even season 1 had its moments but this is rubbish.It isnt even funny and NOTHING HAPPENS oh and Buffy has her best quote of the series:

Beer.... bad.

This is even my mums and sisters most hated episode and i cant even think of why i hate it so much and hell its not like season 4 was fantastic as it is!
  • Pretty much represents all of Season 4; Buffy at it's weakest.

In a really disjointed, unfocused episode, Buffy hangs out with a bunch of douchebags that like to drink and hear themselves talk. The supernatural element comes in when the beer's been tainted and it literally reverts all who drink it back to the caveman-like behavior. So we see Buffy acting like a buffoon, and it's supposed to be funny, but it's just cringe-inducing, from the dialogue, to some of the scenarios that come from it. This is a truly horrible episode.

Some would argue that the disjointed, unfocused feel of the ep reflects Buffy's emotions right now, but to me, it's more of a reflection of the entire season trying to re-find it's identity. This is a good example of the overall subpar material we got from Season 4.
  • This episode was incredible and I recomend it totally. It was so funny especially Xander and buffy .

The episode was great and I loved how great buffy was. It was hilarious when parker was saying sorry and how mean he was, then buffy hit him with a stick and buffy's friends were fine with it. I thought the boys who were caveman were ugly but im glad that buffy just had bad hair and didn't look ugly like the others. Alot of you guys disliked it but I don't see why it was funny and very clever. Xander was the funniest especially when he was telling the owner of the story "You are a bad bad man". I laughed so loud so loud. The bottomline is this episode was fantastic so please watch it!
  • Owner of college bar poisons beer and causes Buffy and some boys to revert to cave men.

Just when I thought Buffy couldn't be funnier, this episode comes along. I was in tears when she was spinning around on her chair. Not only did Sarah Michelle Gellar rock the house, but Nicholas Brendon did a great job too. The whole cast, as usual, reminded me why I watched Buffy. It's just shows how versatile of a show it really is. They can pull off whatever they want, which is proved later by the musical. I honestly believe that if any other show had tried to base a whole episode off of beer, they would've failed miserably, but not Buffy. There just aren't many shows that can come close to Buffy. By far, this was one of the funniest episodes EVER!!!
  • Filler, Yes. Bad, No, No, No.

This is an incredibly underrated episode, which seems to be a constant theme throughout Season 4 of Buffy. It is definitely a filler episode, but since when does filler = bad? I've noticed that Joss fans tend to detest filler more so than fans of any other show/creator. It could be because were used to long drawn out arcs, so when we get a filler episode, we don't know what to think about it.

It starts off with a great action scene that doubles as a metaphor for the way we cope with loss. Buffy still hopes that her and Parker can work things out. She fantasizes about impressing him the one way she knows how...Slaying, being the Heroine.

As the episode progresses, she realizes that Parker isn't going to feel about her the same way that she feels about him. She decides to drown away her woes with alcohol. We get another Whedon metaphor when the beer turns Buffy Cro-Mag. The metaphor being that turning to alcohol(or any substance) is not the way we should deal with our problems, and that it only makes matters worse.

There is a lot more to this episode than meets the eye. If you're willing to look beneath the surface, that is.
  • In yet another attempt to captive -- with a supernatural metaphor -- the college life, as they did with high school, Freshman Buffy is binge drinking some magically spiked ale with some upper class men, causing them to transform into cavemen and women.

One of the appeals of the first three seasons was that it managed to capture this idea of high school as being a literal and metaphoric hell. This was done with the 'hell mouth' and various episodes and character developments to deal with such issues as teen alienation, angst, relationships, peer pressure, stress, prejudices and social clicks. As the storyline shifted gears into college, the writers naturally wanted to try and do the same thing with college life. The challenge is that while high school is in fact a hell, for many youth, college life is hard to truthfully portray because you cannot show a lot of what many students actually do and because it is often a very different experience for different people based on a whole range of factors. Willow loves being in an environment where academia is respected and where she is free to be more open about her interest in magic and her sexuality, both of which become major plot points. For some people college can be a liberating experience.

Yet, Buffy -- as the chosen one -- quickly finds herself out of place because she is unlikely to have the chance to have a 'normal' life, because the academics are tougher, with more emphasis on 'sink or swim' ethics, relationships are more complex, new social clicks exist and because she really is not sure what she is doing in college.

In a large part, Buffy goes to college to be with Willow not because she wants a degree. Part of the reason why season turns some people off is because it is harder to really depict college life as truthfully as they did high school life, but also because it is the start of Buffy's emotional downward spiral.

She does not really belong in the academic-intellectual career path of Willow, but she does not really want to go the path of Oz or Xander who ignore college (or have to abandon it) and thus are likely to be tracked into more low wage/working class careers.

Buffy goes through a tremendous amount of pain and suffering starting in this season that increasingly strip away all connections she has to this 'normal' middle class suburban life.
  • Not the best episode in the series, but not the worst either by a long shot. Saved by a few funny moments.

I know a lot of people consider this the worst episode in the series, if not the entire run, but I like it. Well, the first half anyway. Buffy is a bit whiny at the start, but then I guess any normal girl who's been used by someone they thought liked them would be a bit miffed.

High points:
    I love the line from Xander and Giles:

"I didn't know it was evil beer"

"You knew it was beer!"

I also like Buffy spiining round on a chair then falling off, and Giles' attempts to describe Buffy. And Willow getting on over on Parker is quite funny too.

Bad Points:
    Buffy hitting Parker with a stick. A bit unneccessary but at least the story of Parker is pretty much complete

The Neanderthal guys are a bit stupid, but then the whole episode is supposed to be a little daft so i guess it's excusable.

All in all not the worst episode of the run, or even the series, but not a favourite. And it's one of the more original episodes too, no other episode is quite the same.
  • Not as bad as everyone makes out; just appreciate it for what it is- a shallow but entertaining filler.

Beer Bad often gets a lot of hate from fans and is considered to be one of the worst, if not THE worst episode of Buffy. I don't really understand why; I enjoy it more than ridiculous episodes like Teacher's Pet and Bad Eggs and it's much better than boring episodes like Never Kill A Boy On The First Date and Goodbye Iowa. It may be ultimately pointless and shallow but it's very entertaining and funny and is a perfect example of Buffy not being afraid of going against the normal.

The main plot of the beer/cavemen is admittedly weak and quite weird but the dialogue and performances make it quite hilarious. Sarah shows her comedic talents and versatility and completely nails the cavegirl Buffy. Her movements are hilarious and her delivery of lines is priceless. Cave Buffy is either annoying or hilarious depending on your tastes but I find her very, very funny. I love her stupidity and one line always makes me laugh a lot; Xander: I'm cutting you off.
    Buffy: Did it hurt?

The delivery is brilliant and always makes me laugh. Willow was also excellent here; her scenes with Parker were really fantastic. I really thought she was falling for that manipulative jerk's falseness and then she turns it around and completely shows him up! Go Willow! How can you not love her? Plus her "Oh. Ow" line is just... tear-inducingly hilarious. What I didn't like about this episode was the fact that it felt like a short episode just made longer. A lot of scenes felt unnecessary and it dragged in parts. It wasn't that bad but it is a bit of a downside. I also didn't like Buffy continually moping about Parker. The guy drives me nuts and it's just like "Get a grip Buffy!". That storyline really is bad. Although I really loved it when she knocked him out with the stick at the end. It was priceless.

Beer Bad isn't the best episode but it isn't the worst. Some parts drag but mostly it's a fun yet forgettable episode that will leave you satisfied if you appreciate the humour.
  • It's really not as bad as people make out

This episode actually has some really funny parts and is at the very least 'entertaining'.
    Some of the quotes and little snippits stay in your mind and some little bits you laugh at and then forget about, but everybody slates off this episode way more than it's done anything to deserve!
    It's well staged and well written, and didn't it get nominated for some award for makeup or something?
    Some bits of it were just cool, like the whole hair growing thing, and this episode just gets insulted so much and it's not half as bad as everybody makes out.
    In a nutshell, it's worth watching, if only for the entertainment and every so often a memorable quote comes around :')
    It's funnier than you'd think!
  • Episode Bad

4.4
    Beer Bad-Still trying to come to terms with Parker's womanizing, Buffy starts to hang out at the college bar where she and a group of upper-class students drown their troubles in an excess of beer. It soon becomes apparent that the local brew really brings out the wild side of the Slayer.

While trying to continue trend of using supernatural metaphors while exploring college, the series runs into one of it's poorest hours in a while! Tracey Forbes being a new writer and all really shows her weaknesses here, as the script is dull even cringe-worthy as times! The whole metaphor for "drinking will turn you into a mindless cavemen" is used in it's dumbest form and episode suffers as soon as the plot is established. The cavemen scenes are embarrasing and horriblly acted by the guest stars. Not to mention, the whole fire crisis was very lame, and you can't help thinking why Tracey couldn't come up with a better resolution?

Sarah Michelle Gellar just looks bored with the horrible material and her performance as cave-Buffy is painful to watch. The only redeeming quality of the episode is Willow outsmarting Parker when he tries to flirt his way through their conversation. Alyson Hannigan was great throughout and it's great seeing Willow sticking up for Buffy. Of course there were some funny gags that worked like Giles getting describing Buffy's appearence to confused college students and Buffy hitting Parker over the head multiple times with a wooden bat. I even found the daydream fight scene entertaining as it was one of the best choregraphed fight scenes of the series. But it really doesn't matter, "Beer Bad" is one of those rare occassions where the series failed miserably, but you can't blame Tracey Forbes for trying anyway!
  • Boring and pointless, not like the BtVS I've grown to love.

7.1
    I didn't really like this episode. I was bored and baffled for the majority of the time. I did find Buffy talking in cavemen talk pretty funny. "Buffy. Beer. Now!" Xander getting the job at the bar - good for him. I loved his technique of picking up women. "Rough day?" Hilarious. The only other part I liked was when Willow was talking to Parker and how she didn't buy any of his cr*p - that was awesome! She even acted like she was buying it and all into him. I thought this episode was pretty bland and totally opposite of what normal BtVS episodes are like. I thought it was a worst episode so far(from season one to season four, episode five). I'll make sure to note who wrote this episode.

Rating = C-
  • One of the worst in BTVS

5.8
    I can't believe how could something like that happen! I mean, when I got each episode, I was so excited and I watched it with such pleasure. But Beer Bad? Whaaat was that? My opinion - it was the worst episode of Buffy the vampire slayer till now.

Really dissapoiting. Nothing happened. It was supposed to be the vampire slayer fighting bad guys, vampires and other creatures. But here she was 'fighting' with the bartender to get more beer. It was not funny or interesting, it was silly. And not in a good way. Boring. I fast forwarded the whole episode. It has never happened before. Ever. The only thing I liked was the part where Willow talked to Parker and and the end left him speachless when she told him she isn't buying his cr*p. And I liked Buffy's hair. And Riley. I was wondering one thing. (maybe I didn't notice it cause of all the fast forwarding) but was it explained why bear turned those people into cavemen? I don't think so. And when will the effect expire? IF it will?
  • Silly, yes, but not in a good way...

But that isn't to say that I completely hate this episode. What I dislike is the cave-man storyline, which is just a little too much - even for Buffy. I normally love all the crazy things that go on in or around Sunnydale, but cave men? I was especially bothered by the fact that Buffy herself was turned into one, not to mention the fact that she could talk (however limited her speech was) and still save people. Why didn't she go on crazy rampages like the others?

Anyway, there are good moments in the episode. I like how the show makes frat-boys look like total douche bags - maybe one of the better moments from this season. Plus, Xander as the bartender, flicking the lighter in Buffy's face? Priceless. Overall I just felt it was filler. Not bad - I'd watch it again - but not that great.
  • First bad episode of the season.

7.2
    Buffy is still hung over Parker. She dreams of Parker saying to forgive him. She then solves her problems by drinking at the bar that Xander now works at. She drinks with these other self obssesed college boys that are showing off. Buffy and the college boys start acting different. Eventually they turn to cave people. The owner of the bar had put some thing he learned from a family warlock in the beer. Then the caveman learn about fire. They set a fire lose in a library or something with willow and parker in there. Cavegirl buffy saves the day and gets over parker.
  • Xander the bartender and drunk Buffy what a combo

I loved Xander he was so great. I loved how he had the bartender job and he was trying to get Willow and Buffy to talk to him about their problems. The story Willow was trying to make up was incredibly amusing. And Xander's fake ID was great too. I loved how he asked Willow what gave it away and she was like "Looking at it." I loved how Xander was saying how easy the job was and then when he had to do it he was having such a tough time.

The whole thing with Buffy and Parker though was completely insane. I really just wish they hadn't wasted most of this episode focusing on that. Buffy getting drunk with those guys was so humorous, but other than that it was lame. I loved Xander manipulating those guys when they were drunk too.

It was also very obvious when Willow and Oz were on their date at the Bronze that their relationship was going downhill.

Willow talking to Parker was great too. I loved how she played his game. Parker was making so much stuff up and it looked like Willow was falling for it and then she told him "How gullible do you think I am?"

Giles was so great when he was telling Xander off for serving Buffy beer. I loved how Buffy saved Parker from the burning building in the end and then went and knocked him out after.

Pretty decent episode, but the whole Parker thing was dragged out for way too long.
  • Buffy + Beer= So easy a caveman can do it.

7.9
    Favorite Quotes:
    Buffy: "Want more singing. Want more beer!"
    Xander: "No, I've cut you off."
    Buffy: "Did it hurt?"

Ok, I can forgive Buffy for the beerfest because she was still nursing her wounds courtesy of Parker the poophead. However, this was still one of the silliest eps I have seen. Buffy turning into Tara Reid and partying with some snooty college guys was just....stupid. Buffy was cavegirl was scary. Dont get me wrong, there were some funny parts to this episode. Seeing Giles trying to describe Buffy to another college student was hilarious. Seeing Willow shoot Parker down was brilliant. He so deserved it and he also deserved the bonk to the head that Buffy gave him in the end.
  • Whilst still trying to get over Parker, Buffy enjoys a beer or three, which has bizarre consequences.

While it does put a full stop to the Parker scenario, it's far from the best episode. I'd give it a lower rating, but it does redeem itself by having some very good quotes and funny scenes.

Basically it's a kind of moral fable on the dangers of drink, done in a very Buffy way. In her universe beer doesn't just make you drunk, it makes you into a caveman/woman! My real problem with the episode is that it's just too ridiculous. I kind of like the idea that these overblown college kids are being brought down a peg or two by having their intellect disappear. But once they turn into supposed cavemen, they are just a bit daft and not in the least frightening. And Buffy doing cavespeak is just a bit ludicrous. And a bad hair day does not a cavewoman make!

Not at all up the usual standards of Buffy, but still diverting enough.
  • That's right! Beer BAD!!!!

Xander gets a job at a collage bar and Buffy and a group of known boys begin to drink beer and start to act like caveman. Something was put into the beer that Buffy and the boys drank to make them this way. I thought it was funny watching Buffy act like a cavegirl. This episode is more-over a comedy-relief-type episode.
  • cave slayer...what next?

5.7
    hmmmm. not as bad as people think. but still quite boring. buffy becomes a cafe man after drinking a lot of beer. that is pretty much all. you gotta be brain dead to love this episode. but still it had some chucles and i've seen buffy to a lot worse. what i loved about this episode is buffy hitting parker with a big stick. oh my. that was just priceless.
  • Beer bad!

Now, this was one of the funniest episodes of the series in my opinion! And it defenitely contributed to the over all freshman feel of this season, freshman in the sense of the the gangs first year at college and also in the sense that their were a lot of changes in all their lives that they were dealing with in this season. Buffy's fall out from the Parker scenario felt like it was really dealt with in this episode and dealt with in a very realistic and true to life way. Adding the comedy and the traditional Buffy spin to the scenario was just an added bonus that made every episode of Buffy enjoyable.
  • As Buffy continues trying to accept that Parker didn't think anything of their one night stand, she chooses beer as a solution.

There are some major problems with this episode. Not least is that it robs Buffy of her clever quips when she's reduced to grunting. Now, dialog free episodes can work great as witnessed by HUSH, one of the best episodes in the series. However, we aren't talking about HUSH, we're talking about BEER BAD and it is BORING.

I'm SO past the whole Parker thing and finally we get to wrap that up here, so that's a plus. I've been yelling at Buffy for three episodes now (including this one) to just get over it already.

Xander's place in the episode is weak as is the entire 'mystic beer' plot device. The bartender who wants revenge on snotty frat-boys is dumb. If they really did bother him so much, why didn't he open his establishment in town instead of near campus?

The ONLY reason to watch this are Willow and Parker's scenes together when he attempts to seduce her and possibly watching Parker get hit by Buffy a few times.

DULL, DULL, DULL.