Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 10, 1998 on The WB

• Very funny!

The funniest episode from BTVS. Cordelia decides to break up with Xander, because her friends humilliate her. With the aid of Amy (the girl from "Witch"), Xander tries to get back with Cordy. But not everything as he thought it'll happen. He becomes the most popular (and loved) man in Sunnydale. Buffy, Willow, Amy and even Drusilla want to be with him, but the only girl that he wants, doesn't show him the minimun attention. The prowl from Willow was hilarious, i was laughing when she was licking Xander's ear. The prowl from Buffy was even more funny, and hot. Another episode which is very clever and interesting, though is not my favorite, is funny, wit and well-written.
  • Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered

Here's an episode where we finally get a look at Xander and Cordelia's odd relationship. This is an extremely lightweight romp that makes its mark as easily the funniest episode of the season and is also one of the series' overall funnier episodes. There's lots of confusion and fun after Amy's backfired spell kicks in and it never lets up all the way until the, actually somewhat surprising, ending involving Cordelia actually ditching Harmony and her now old group of sheepish friends.

The craziness begins with Cordelia's 'group' abandoning her simply because she's dating Xander. Cordelia's genuinely upset about this. Like she said back in "Out of Mind, Out of Sight" (1x11), "Well, it beats being alone all by yourself," in response to why she likes being popular. She doesn't fully realize that now she's got the Scoobies to keep her from feeling alone. By the end of the episode that realization comes and she, naturally scared about it, leaves her old friends behind. It becomes quite the whacky adventure before she gets there though.

First, Cordelia breaks up with Xander on Valentine's Day of all days, right after he gave her a beautiful heart pendent on a necklace. This genuinely hurts Xander and he doesn't try to hide it. We can tell Cordelia also feels quite bad about it as well because the next day she is wearing (although hiding) the same necklace. That leads to the blackmail of Amy and the spell to make Cordelia love him, so he can in turn break up with her instead. Like almost all spells in this series, it backfires and causes chaos to ensue. Every single female except Cordelia ends up falling in love with Xander, including Buffy.

Buffy coming onto him is his absolute fantasy and he can barely resist kissing her when offered the opportunity to. He gets pulled away by Amy who is also hitting on him in the same way Buffy was. This is when he realizes, in a subtle and heartbreaking way, that Buffy isn't really coming onto him; the spell is talking, not Buffy. This really saddens Xander, especially after the little bit of hope she gave him after hugging him in the previous episode. All of this Xander lovin' going around leads to the fantastically funny scene where he's walking down the main hallway of the school while all the girls are checking him out and making moon eyes.

By this point absolute chaos is unleashed. Amy turns Buffy into a rat, Cordelia is getting beat up, Ms. Calendar is even coming onto Xander, and Willow tries to axe murder him for not returning her 'love.' In response to all this Xander grabs Cordelia and runs off to Buffy's place for sanctuary. While here Buffy's mom hits on Xander and he, absolutely hilariously, slams his head down on the table and yells "whatever!" Amazingly, the chaos doesn't stop here. They flee up to Buffy's room where Angelus, wanting to finally do in Buffy, grabs Xander instead but Drusilla is under the spell and stops him from hurting Xander! Wow, good times.

Giles and Amy finally break the spell and everything returns to normal except at the end Cordelia finally shuts Harmony up and says, "You're a sheep. All you ever do is what everyone else does just so you can say you did it first. And here I am, scrambling for your approval, when I'm way cooler than you are 'cause I'm not a sheep. I do what I wanna do, and I wear what I wanna wear. And you know what? I'll date whoever the hell I wanna date. No matter how lame he is." And with that speech Cordelia has grown another step forward. This is great stuff.

There's also a couple other nice touches that don't involve Xander and Cordelia. Giles shows that he hasn't lost his affections for Jenny and that his devotion to Buffy still comes first. Jenny completely understands, and this is undoubtedly the moment she decides to begin research on how to curse Angel again. The rotten fruits of her labor come up in "Passion" (2x17), the next episode.

The good guys aren't the only ones celebrating Valentine's Day. Spike gives Drusilla a stunning necklace for the occasion, but Angelus comes in and gives her a fresh heart from a shopkeeper to outdo Spike's gift. Angelus is continuing to steal Dru's affection away from Spike and this naturally infuriates him. Spike will get some satisfaction in seeing Angelus being beat up by Giles in "Passion" (2x17) and then will actively help stop Angelus in "Becoming Pt. 2" (2x22). This is simply a fantastic episode with tremendous fun to be had.
  • The ep that made me a fan

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

The Good;

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better! Pretty much everything, even the music is superb, especially when Xander does his slow walk through the school. It really does set the bar for other eps.

The Bad;

Are you insane? This may well be my favourite Buffy ep EVER!

Best line;

Dru; Don't fret kitten, mummy's here. How do you feel about eternal life?

Xander (terrified); We couldn't just start with coffee?

Angelus (bemused) Boy I really did drive you insane!

Wheldon cliches;

Character death-0

Bondage-0

Knocked out-0

Shot-0

Women good/men bad-0

Kinky-dinky; yep, Willow enthusiastically telling Xander that 'Force is ok' showing the naughty girl behind the softer side of Sears (love her impish smile as she says this). Buffy striptease too.

Questions and observations;

Lovely to see Amy and Jenny back and Harmony playing a fairly major role. Buffy's slit leopardskin mini-skirt is just SCANDALOUS, is this the outfit Joyce refused to buy her in Bad Eggs? Xander meanwhile seems to be dressed as though he's auditioning for Life on Mars, you could go handgliding with that collar. I always knew Cordy and Buffy and Jenny were lovely but here I think for the first time you realise the incredible sexiness of Alysson Hannigan, all the more remarkable for her wearing a man's shirt at the time. Joyce has been introduced to Cordy and greets her by name when she turns up at the door. Exactly how long are Cordy and Xander running around, it's light when they leave the school but dark when they reach Buffy's house?

If I was to single one performance out from them all it would actually be Robia LaMorte for playing Jenny, the way she tries to talk to Giles whilst being gradually overcome by her irresistable attaction to Xander. Amy's bitchy comment that Jenny is old enough to be Queen of the World is a bit much as she's only 28 at the time of shooting.

Note Spike's charming present for Dru contrasted to Angelus' hideous gift, his humanity once more shines through. The jealousy between the three shows through, AngeIus tormenting Spike in all sorts of subtle little ways. I once read a very short but hugely funny slashfic at fanfiction .net calld 'Bewitched, bothered and befuddled' where Amy's spell goes wrong in a slightly different way, resulting in all the boys lusting after Xander rather than the girls, even Angelus. Anyone else read that one?

10/10, just terrific in every way

• Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered

Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered was a Perfectly Classic Episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. This episode had a lot of character growth for most of the characters. This episode is the start of viewers seeing Amy using Magic. Cordelia and Zander once again find themselves hiding together in Buffy's Basement, only this time from a raving hoarde of women. Oz also comes into play, accusing Zander of hurting Willow. This episode definitely asserts that one should be careful what they wish for and don't mess with Love spells. I really enjoyed watching this episode. The ending was nice, as Cordelia stood up to her so called friends. I thought it was funny that Druscilla fell under the spell as well.
  • Love me, love me! Say that you love me!

When Cordelia dumps Xander on Valentine's Day he blackmails the witch Amy into casting a love spell. His goal is to punish Cordelia by breaking up with her. But the whole thing backfires when everyone except Cordelia falls in love with Xander. After a few strange situations Xander realises his mistake but going back to normal might not be that easy. To complicate things even more Buffy is turned into a rat by the lovesick Amy and the soulless Angel wants to show his affection for Buffy by killing one of her friends.
    In the end all spells are reversed, Cordelia for once sees that being popular isn't the only thing in life and all of Buffy's friends live another day.

This episode has been one of my favorites right from the very first time I saw it. This is mostly due to the fact that I'm a huge fan of the character of Xander. But there are other things that are great about this episode as well. It is funny and we get to see we normally don't: A very sexy Buffy, a jealous Cordy and Jenny, Joyce and Willow hitting on Xander.

In my opinion this episode is important because it shows Xander making a mistake and taking responsibility by telling Giles that he messed up. And while the basic tone of the episode is relaxed and funny the love spell and its consequences are dead serious: Angel attacking Xander is real. And the anger of the rejected women makes them very dangerous.
    I also think that it's important that Cordy and Xander are getting back together in the end. We never got a lot of insight into their relationship (except their fighting) anyway which is sad in my opinion. The way they treated each other always made me wonder if what they had was more than a fling. As far as I know we also never learnt whether they ever had sex.
    But still: In this episode we get a glance at their feelings for each other. We never had a doubt about how Xander feels for Buffy and Willow. But here the audiences sees Xander risking something for Cordelia as well. And that's maybe the most important thing about the episode since it puts their relationship into perspective.
  • Season 2, Episode 16.

It's Valentine's Day in Sunnydale! Cordelia breaks up with Xander after her (former) friends make fun of her and shun her out for dating him. So, Xander blackmails Amy, a witch from season one, into making Cordelia fall in love with him so he can break her heart.

I liked that Cordelia still wore the necklace. She definitely still liked him, but didn't want to go out with him because of the way people treated her. I liked how she was transformed back to normal though. The spell worked on Buffy! Haha. And Amy. And every other girl. Haha, I liked Buffy in the raincoat in the library. Awesome episode!
  • Xander's use of magic comes back to haunt him.

I always forget how much I like this episode until I watch it. Xander is such a great character and I love all the humor that he brings to show which is showcased in this episode that features him trying to win Cordelia back after she succumbs to peer pressure. I love the ways in which all the women come on to him. Jenny is hilarious as she tries to seduce him as well as Joyce. Buffy's seduction scene is really funny as well and you really have to admire the willpower of Xander in that case. The scene with Willow in his bed is good as well and it is kind of sad to see her still hung up on him, but I'm glad that Oz came in and punched Xander, because he really deserves it for how he treated Willow (outside of this episode). I really like the end though with Cordelia realizing that what her friends think shouldn't rule her life.
  • this episode doesn't said aything much. it was just hillarious. thats the reason i like this episode.

if this episode was compared to other epissode, i dont think it would have made my top ten. maybe top 20. i just like this episode cause it was funny. xander was hillarious. the girls that were chasing was juat funny. i love xander's face when he finally thought buffy was showing an interest in him. then he found out that the spell went wrong. it was just sooo funny. the scene with willow was great. xander looked so freaked out. it was hillarious. altogether, this episode doesn't said much. just funny, but still great. (you must be thinking what is with this person and the word 'hillarious'. i don't know really. i just like the word. hope you will forgive me for using it so often)
  • Love Sick City

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered-Xander tries to use Valentine's Day to further his relationship with Cordelia, but she succumbs to peer pressure and breaks up with him. With the help of Amy (who is experimenting with her mother's magickal tricks), he puts a love spell on her which goes horribly wrong, turning him into every woman's desire... everyone's except the one who matters most.

Now Buffy is known for mixing horror, comedy and drama is such a remarkable package , but this is one of the first time that a whole episode was devoted to comedy, and it worked brilliantly. This is supernatural hijnks at it's finest. Xander is at the center of the episode and Nicholas Brendon is hilarious throughout as Xander as all the women of Sunnydale literally runnning after him.

The whole cast is great here, especially Charisma Carpentar. Cordelia breaking up with Xander is a sad scene as well as Cordelia obviously has strong feelings but when her popularity is in question she has to make the obvious choice to survive the other populars girl abuse. Also, Amy returns as witch no less, and is black mailed by Xander do a love spell for him. It just beyond hilarious watching every woman fight for Xander's affections. From Buffy dressing in a trench coat being naked underneath, from Ms, Calendar suddenly falling head over heels for Xander in seconds and Joyce lusting after Xander just a second after letting him into her house. Not to mention, when Drusilla protected Xander from Angelus and offered him "eternal" life was just too funny! But there is also an emotional side to the spell's effects and Willow is the worst of the bunch. I mean she loved Xander before any spell and it makes sense she would be the most hurt out of any of them.

Ohter great scenes are Oz punching Xander for hurting Willow, Oz searching for the Buffy rat, and Cordelia standing up to her friends in the end to still date Xander. Just goes to show that this relationship while hilarious, is serious as Xander and Cordelia become closer as a couple. Also, the special effects are stunning in this episode with spells being casted all over the place. All and All, one of the funniest episode of the series which is a nice breakaway from a pretty emotional season.
  • A fun piece of comic relief before the darkest part of the season.

Spells gone awry is a common plot device in fantasy going back to Shakespeare, often allegorical for an easy solution to a difficult problem, which in turn makes the problem worse. Love with all its complexity is a very appropriate problem. This chaos can be played both seriously and comically. Considering its position in the season arc, right before even darker revelations and events than we've seen so far, it's fitting for it to be done comically.

With the reference in the previous episode to the cheerleader trophy from "Witch", it's fitting to bring back Amy for another story, especially as magic grows in importance on the series. Despite having her witch mother switch bodies with her and hold her hostage in her home, the draw of magic to accomplish her own desires is too tempting, evidenced with the "invisible homework". This is setting herself up for a big fall in the future.

Of the main couplings on the show, Cordelia and Xander's is the most flawed. They came together out of fear of the bug man and since then have stayed together merely out of teenage lust. Once it happened, they kept it secret from the rest of the group until it was revealed at the least opportune moment possible. Despite them having some feelings, there isn't a solid foundation for their future.

Perhaps the episode would've been strengthened had the focus been on Cordelia, not Xander, since her actions set up the episode. Cordelia broke up with Xander to meet the approval of her clique, who besides Harmony are nameless generic high school girls. Once the spell has gone awry and every female in sight is obsessed with him and attempt in zombie esque fashion to seize the Summers' basement does she turn around. Even with her self assertion at the end of the episode, her decision to stay with Xander is influenced by how her friends reacted under the influence. Only she would find such a gesture romantic.

Also, a fact creator Joss Whedon acknowledges in some commentaries, Nicholas Brendon is much better looking than his nerd persona would suggest. So it's easier to believe he could get a girl as good looking as Cordelia or that women would fawn over him (not that Nicholas Brendon likely cared), but not as easy for him to be completely humiliated when he gets dumped, as if his peers think he'll never get close again. However, that humiliation is a good motivator for him to resort to witchcraft for an easy answer.

Quickly, Xander realizes the spell was a major mistake, as every female in sight becomes entranced by him. It also creates some uncomfortable moments when he faces his feelings with the two unavailable women in his life. These encounters, as hard to resist as they were (between Willow's ear biting and Buffy's sexy raincoat, I would've been catatonic), really show that Xander is a stand up guy, refusing their advances due to their intoxication with the "mystical roofie". He even saves Cordelia from being torn apart by his admirers. While he caused a lot of trouble (so much that the only people who could help stop it were straight guys, one of whom was a briefly angry Oz), Xander attempted to avoid further harm for his friends.

More could've been made of Willow's pain following the spell, since she's the one who really loved Xander without magic, as Buffy reminds him in the end, and whose obsession was the most intense. Casting the spell showed an unusual amount of selfishness and almost resulted in serious consequences, particularly if Buffyrat went for the cheese before Amy could revoke the spell. Perhaps the light hearted nature of the episode prompted them to gloss over it: they'd have plenty of dark times ahead.

Considering the tone of the episode, it makes sense to set up the reconciliation between Giles and Jenny, whose relationship has been inactive since "Innocence". This awkwardness is far worse than the episodes following Jenny's possession in "The Dark Age". Unfortunately, they wouldn't have much time for that as Jenny falls victim to the spell. Giles' telling Amy she's not feeling love could be his way of expressing the angst over his own relationship.

While he never gets to craft any grand "poet[ic]" display to taunt Buffy, much to the delight of puppies everywhere, the hints of the menace Angelus poses to Buffy's friends is still clear. One important piece that hasn't been referenced since Angelus' return is the fact that Angel's invitation into Buffy's home extends even to his monstrous alter-ego, evidenced when he reaches into Buffy's room and pulls out Xander. Although he passed on slaughtering the bewitched women afterward, he still has total access to her home, a reality that isn't addressed until the next episode.

Spike continues to sit impotently while Angelus moves in on Dru. For a vampire gift, a fresh human heart would be more endearing than a necklace. Every time Spike tries to do something in his less mobile state, Angelus is ready to upstage him with something more dramatic, something Dru, who is unable to be docile for too long, would be drawn to. Not to mention Angelus putting the necklace on her eats Spike up and Angelus couldn't enjoy it more.

Side note on Spike: it's interesting that he doesn't automatically find a rhyming word for "lungs", considering who he was before he turned.

Regardless of its flaws, this episode is still a fun piece of comic relief to throw us off guard before the dark twists in the final episodes of the season. It helps establish connections with magic and spells, something that would become very important to the series. The cast clearly has fun going over the top, which makes it even more enjoyable.
  • Xander becomes a chick magnet

Xander being a chick magnet was so incredibly amusing. I cannot believe that Xander would turn to the dark arts of magic just for Cordelia. The fact that the spell totally didn't work was completely brilliant. I loved that Cordy didn't fall in love with Xander but every other woman in Sunnydale did.

The scene in the Bronze where Cordy broke up with Xander was so painful to watch. I felt so sorry for Xander. I loved Willow bragging about how her boyfriend was in the band playing at the Bronze too. Everything going on with Angel and Buffy was just scary though. Angelus is scariest around Valentines Day. Buffy coming onto Xander in the library was so incredibly funny. I loved how Amy came into the library then and how she and Buffy were fighting over Xander. It was crazy though that Amy went and turned Buffy into a rat. I loved how Oz came in and punched Xander because he hurt Willow, that was just kinda cute.

Buffy and Xander talking after the spell was so adorable. I loved how Buffy was about what had happened. Begging Xander to undress her and then a sudden need for cheese how great is that?!

I loved Cordy and Xander being trapped together in Buffy's basement at the end and talking things out it was almost cute. I loved Cordelia telling her friends off and then going off with Xander.

Very amusing episode.
  • Love spell gone awry

Favorite quote: Amy: What do you want?
    Xander: What do I want? I want some respect around here. I want, for once, to come out ahead. I want the Hellmouth to be working for me. You and me, Amy... we're gonna cast a little spell."

Famous last words from Xander Harris. He gets his first lesson in why love spells are not so great. Who can blame the guy, though? He had just given Cordy a necklace for Valentines day, and she dumped him. She dumped him in favor of her snotty friends, no less. His spell worked, but it ended up making every lady in Sunnydale fall for him...except Cordelia. This was truly a hilarious episode, seeing Xander fight off Joyce AND Drusilla was just classic.
  • Xander's spell goes wrong, very wrong.

Cordelia breaks up with Xander because of what her friends think of him. He was so sad and he really liked her, he even got her a neckless. In class he saw AAmy using her magic, so her blackmailed her into casting a love spell. It worked on everyone but Cordelia. All the girls in the world except her loved Xander, even Buffy. Amy and Buffy were fighting over Xander and she turned Buffy into a rat. All the girls hated Cordelia for dumping Xander and were attcking them both. Just as the ladies were about to kill them the spell was reversed gy Giles and Amy. Also Angel left Buffy little evil reminders of his comming back.
  • Very funny!

This episode was a very light hearted break from the seriousness of the last few episodes. There was however an underlying message of 'don't mess with magic'.

Xander enlists the help of Amy to help him to woo the heart of the lovely Cordelia Chase. The spell goes horribly wrong and as a result every female in the world was chasing and lusting after him.

The funniest part was probably when Drusilla was falling at the feet of Xander. It just goes to show that being undead doesn't keep you safe from botched magical love spells. Angelus looked pretty annoyed at the sight of Dr swooning over Xander, I loved that bit.
  • Xander's love spell backfires

This episode was just hilarious!!! It started off with a very sad moment when Cordelia gave in to her friends' pressure and broke up with Xander though knowing better.
    Xander must really love Cordy to mess with the magics the way he does in this episode. He's being so stupid and he gets the payback right away. All the girls and women fall for him and after he first likes it, Xander soon realizes how wrong he was when the girls attack Cordy.
    Dru is also under the influence of the spell and that makes the eppy even funnier when she's keeping Angel from harming Xander.
    Also very funny was Buffy as a rat ending up naked in the end in front of Oz. By the way: nice reference to what's happening to Oz!

The ending was great! Cordelia gives Harmony the brush-off and runs off to Xander, finally reunited! Great great great!
  • Xander's fanatsy gone wrong...

Poor Xander. Cordelia really likes him but is getting pressure from her friends so she breaks up with him at Valentines Day. Xander sees Amy following in her mother’s footsteps with the magic thing so he blackmails her into helping him get Cordelia back. He has her cast a love spell but it seems to backfire as now every girl in Sunnydale likes him except Cordelia. The first one to hit on him is Buffy and Xander is ok with that. Then Amy comes to tell him that the spell went wrong and also hit on him. Buffy and Amy fight over him and Amy turns Buffy into a rat. Xander runs off after rat-Buffy and runs into Oz who upset at him because he upset Willow. Xander explains what happened to him and Giles. Giles sends him home while Oz looks for Buffy and Giles and Amy try to reverse the spell. On the way home Xander runs into Cordelia who has no idea what’s going on except that everyone hates her for breaking up with him and they all want him. Willow comes out and says that she would rather see him dead then with Cordelia. Then run to Buffy’s house where they get in but then Joyce starts hitting in Xander too. Run to Buffy’s room where Angel kidnaps Xander. He plans in killing him to upset Buffy but Dru stops him – she loves him too. Cordelia saves him and they hid in the basement and she realizes that the spell was meant for her. The mob is getting closer. Finally Giles and Amy break the spell. Buffy turns human and is naked before Oz. The next day Cordelia and Xander an official couple and Xander likes this but is upset as Willow won’t talk to him.
  • Cordelia breaks up with Xander and he tries to use a love spell to get her to fall in love with him again, and to break up with her so she knows how it feels, but all goes wrong....

This episode totally rocks!!! This is one of my favorite 2nd season episodes. Cordelia breaks up with Xander and he gets Amy to put a love spell on Cordelia and to break up with her to see how it feels to be dumped. Except it goes wrong and the spell ends up putting a love spell on EVERY women in SunnyDale and now all of them are in love with Xander and it's up to Giles to get Amy to reverse the love spell. This episode is a must see for any Buffy fan.
  • Xander Harris: Love Machine?

One of the funniest episodes in Buffy's history, Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered takes a simple premise and throws in as much comedic genius as the script can take, with Nicholas Brendon proving his worth in an episode that is as dramatic as it is hilarious.

This episode was also memorable for return appearances by Amy and Harmony. Amy was the catalyst to the whole storyline and had some fun lines, despite being sidelined for most of the "rampage of scorned women" scenes. Harmony was also hilarious, and gets a little more personality than in her previous appearances, now becoming more than just the random guest star who can play off Cordelia's cruelty.

More so than any other episode, Cordelia really grew here, abandoning her group of evil bimbos and continuing to date Xander. Despite still seeing Xander as nothing more than a loser, she has grown to not follow whatever trend comes along, and have her own independence outside of her clan. Charisma Carpenter was excellent in this episode, especially in her scenes in which she has literally no clue over why every girl has suddenly fallen for Xander.

One random way we can see that this is a great episode is the fact that Buffy is a rat for most of it, and we barely notice. Usually in a show where one character has their name in the title, it wouldn't work if that character was taken out of the majority of an episode. Unlike those shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer has such an extensive and well written group of supporting characters that any one of them could carry the show themselves.

Director: James A. Contner
    Writer: Marti Noxon
    Rating: A-
  • There's a new king in town, his name is Zander.

This is the first episode that is for once aimed at one of the scobies and not at Buffy. In fact the interesting thing about this episode is Buffy's hardly in it which is alright since she's not the main focus, but another unique thing about it is there are no casuties in it, we don't see anyone actually getting killed (well may'be there's that valentine Angelous give Dru but that doesn't count since we didn't see the person die).

The story was well written it feels a little like a E.C. comic book "Tales from the Crept" horror tale since it's a dark fable that invokes a phobia. Like a certain poor protaginist in fables or folklore Zander has been pushed too far and out of anger and desperation does something real dumb to get what he wants, popularity, respect, and to be loved by Cordellia then dump her the next. So he dabbles into the black arts to conjure up a love spell, but as the old saying goes be careful what you wish for you just might get it, so it backfires and bad karma results when every girl wants him as much as fans would want a rock star.

I laughed my head off just seeing the poetic justice Zander was getting. Seeing Buffy almost take her trench coat of with nothing behind it, Willow trying to seduce him wearing nothing but a pajama top, and a sequence where Zander walks down the school hall which is a deadly gauntlet full of girls that stare at him with admiration while most of the male population gives him some scornful looks (that doesn't supprise me since I get that from most people I pass though, but their ususally jerks.) while a 70's song Jungle Love plays. The situation could be God's punishment toward Zander, kinda his/her way of saying, "Don't tempt fate."

At the same time it's a little scary as you can't help but emphise with his fear of constantly being approached by people that all want a piece of him and they don't even know him, which makes it all the more difficult to have even one minute alone. One person can only take so much. Of course his prediciment parallels with Cordellia who is desperate to keep her popularity and friends with it she stoops toward breaking up with Zander for no good reason. And like Zander the results aren't good. We litteraly see real growth in these two characters as they both help each other out, realizing their mistakes, and when they hole up in Buffy house (homage to Night of the Living Dead) theres a sweet romatic senablity to it from Cordila likeing the fact to love spell was for her and Zander protecting her for only a minute from the army of females that dog pile on both of them.

The really high point of the story is these two who in the end have learned their lesson and do get back together again (hmmm may'be the love potion worked after all). The whole thing goes to show the dark and corruptive side of fame. Earning popularity is one thing but collecting it everyday has an even bigger price attached to it which is personal freedom. And fame can be a very empty essential because even though your seen your never really seen, it makes you more isolated and alone.
  • A Xander-centric episode that finally does Nicky justice.

Hilarious!

When Cordy breaks Xander's heart on Valentine's Day of all days, he decides to use a little magic to get back at her. Unfortunately, the caster is Amy and she's still a novice causing the plan to backfire:

Instead of Cordy falling in love with Xander so he can break her heart, she's unaffected. However, all of the other females in Sunnydale are falling all over themselves to get his attention. Of course, love can quickly become murderous rage when you have a whole town of women scorned.

Great, great comic timing. Highlights include Jenny and Joyce coming onto Xander; Giles' reaction (a little Ripper there?) for what Xander's done; Poor Willow - even with Oz and she still wants Xander; Dru saving Xander from Angelus and the disappointment on her face when she can't rush after Xander into Joyce's house; Cordelia throughout the episode; and Xander remaining the gentleman, even when Buffy offers him the exact thing he'd wanted for so long.
  • one of my favorites

7.3
    this was one of my favorite episodes. it was really funny. xander uses a love spell to get back at cordellia and it goes horribly wrong. every one but cordellia goes crazy. it was really cool to see the actresses act so out of character. especially joyce's actions, were the funniest to me.
  • I can't believe Xander was that stupid.

This episode made my fondness for Xander plunge into oblivion. Why? Xander should have known better than to mess with love magic. Even as hurt as he was, he should have known that love magic is very dangerous. Don't try to tell me otherwise, Giles had it right when he was scolding Xander. And Oz had every right to hit him. Still, there were many great lines in the episode, and Cordelia finally stood up to Harmony and her little flock of sheep. Watching that scene made me very happy.
    All in all, you can see it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • 'Damn it, Xander, what's going on? Who died and made you Elvis?'

I’m not usually into comedy episodes because they mostly don’t have a plot and are just brainless fun.

‘Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered’ is exactly the complete opposite of the average brainless comedy.

It’s not only actually ‘funny’ but it’s well written, a bit dark, great acting and lots of character development. The perfect comedy lets say.

It begins in the graveyard with Buffy and Xander talking about Cordy and that Xander bought her a necklace for Valentine. Buffy continues to make fun of her but Xander says that he can’t get better than her.

On school, Xander noticed that Amy is using witchcraft to not make her homework. Also Jenny tries to talk to Giles at that same time but Giles says that he doesn’t have time for her and leaves her standing.

It’s also Valentine for our mean vampire gang, Spike gave Dru a necklace but Angelus gave her a heart and makes fun of Spike. Meanwhile at the party Xander walks up to Cordy who is acting a little witty after her friends abandoned her for dating Xander. He gives her the necklace and she thinks it’s pretty but then she dumps him because she says that they are too different.

Xander is pissed off because everyone laughs at him in school so he blackmails Amy and makes her do a love spell to make Cordy fall inlove with him and then to break her heart. When he does that with Amy he goes to Cordy next day but nothing is working. He goes to the library but noticed Buffy acting strange, she wants him. Also Amy joins them and she has the hots for him as well. Xander realised that the love spell went wrong, specially when all the girls start to joins for him.

When Xander goes to his house, Willos is waiting under the covers and wants to comfort him. She wants him to be a first but instead he becomes a man and runs. In the library he confess to Giles who believes him after Jenny starts to touch Xander. Giles is going for a book and leaves with Jenny, when Xander tries to lock himself in the library Buffy opens very easily the doors and she’s only under a rain coat and wants desperately that Xander undresses her. Amy walks in as well and she turns Buffy into a rat.

When Giles comes back it’s already too late, Oz also comes to hit Xander because he says that he hurt Willow. Oz goes after the Buffyrat and Giles sends Xander home who then sees the girls beating up Cordy. He saves her and they escape with lots of girls coming after them, like Willow with an axe.

When Cordy and Xander go to Buffy’s house, Joyce starts to flirt with him as well and goes crazy after Cordy kicks her out of the house. Cordy and Xander go up to Buffy’s room but Angelus takes him out of the room and wants to kill him, Dru is right on time and saves him and wants to make him a vampire but is too later when all the other woman come to save him.

Xander and Cordy hide in the basement and after Amy reverse the spell everything goes back the way it used to be. But this time Cordy wants Xander back and doesn’t care what her friends anymore, sort of.

This episode develops both Cordy and Xander. Also it brings the hilarious comedy to the show that sadly will bring much more that aren’t as successful.
  • A true Xander episode

This is another marvellous Xander episode. The episode shows Xander in his most comic way and it also reveals a nicer Cordelia. This notion of a nice Cordelia is preview of what is t come in the future Angel series, where Cordelia is really a great person. This episode also provides us with the future vampire to be, Harmony. Harmony is a Cordelia light, just as bitchy and snobby but not with the well hidden smartness of Cordy.
    We also get to broaden our relationship with another side character, Amy the Witch. She really prepares a tremendous spell, where you almost see some nudity from Buffy’s side.
  • Great Episode!!! Very interesting and impossible to look away from.

Everything seems fine in Cordy and Xander town(besides the...occasional fight)until Cordelia breaks up with Xander because her friends think hes a loser, and won't hang out with her until she does break up with him. Cordelia decides to do it on Valentines Day, after Xander gives her a beautiful heart shaped necklace. Now Xander, totally heart broken, wants to casta spell on Cordelia to make him fall in love with him again, so he can break up with her. So he asks Amy, who's been expewrimenting with magic since her mom...umm....'disapeared.' But the spell backfires and instead of making Cordelia fall in love with him, everyone else but Cordelia falls in love with him. So, now Buffy, Dru, Amy, Joyce, Willow, Ms.Calendar, and all the other women in Sunnydale are obsessed with Xander. And since Xander is still in love with Cordy(but won't admit it), the other girls want to kill him. Even Buffy wants to put on a "show" for him. But Amy and Giles break the spell and everything goes back to normal...for the most part. Cordy and Xander get back together, and Xnader will ahve to do a month of groveling to get Willow to forgive him. Yep, everything normal. :)
  • "I've sinned a lot, I'm mean a lot But I'm like sweet seventeen a lot Bewitched, bothered and bewildered - am I"

In the last episode, Oz joined the gang and showed that he had the knack for spotting supernatural elements by noticing the eyes of the cheerleading trophy follow you around the room. This is to remind us about Amy, her mum-witch still stuck in the statuette, and the power of witchcraft. Could it be magic?

Anyway, it’s the one and only Sunnydale Valentine’s Day episode and of course it’s not going to go well. We get a little mislead regarding Angel’s nasty habits in February (something to do with puppies?) which implies this is going to be an Angel stalking Buffy episode, but no, it’s a Xander stalking Cordelia story. None of the couples are getting on very well: Cordy dumps Xander on Valentines’ Day, Angel and Buffy have finished, Giles is still upset with Jenny, Spike, like Xander, has bought a sub-standard necklace for his love, only for her to prefer Angel’s present of a still beating heart and a dark pun: “I found it in a quaint little shop-girl”. Even Hot New Couple Oz and Willow are a little strained due to Xander’s love spell.

However none of these bickerings are anything compared to the way Cordelia’s friends treat her. They get their own back on her past bitching - now that she has been made a nobody by her choice of beau, they can vent their feelings. Ironically, her worst fear from "Nightmares" has come true – she’s lost her popularity and has to hang around with the geeks, and it’s all for love. Or is that lust? Is Cordy going out with Xand because she can treat him a bit mean? Or is it because she can be herself – she doesn’t have to do her fake laugh or pretend to be interested in what he’s saying, like she would with varsity stars or college guys. We start to feel a little sorry for Cordelia; she finished with Xander in an honest way, she truly believes they don’t fit and she seems upset by her actions. She is still wearing his necklace under her shirt and it is Xander who is portrayed as the nasty party, he blackmails Amy and wants to “evoke the great roofie spirit” to entrap Cordelia. Of course it all goes wrong for him, in a comedic way, as all the women in Sunnydale are then after him, even the murderous dinner lady. A pity the recently-out Larry wasn’t chasing him as well. Xander discovers the downside of rock star adoration; now he is the one being stalked. The hellmouth might be working for him, but in not in a satisfactory way. Respect soon turns to rage.

Xander might think that Willow and he would only date in a parallel universe ("The Wish"?) but she acts on her long held lust for him in a rather disturbing ear licking scene, although it’s cute she’s decided to seduce him in her jim-jams. Her lovelorn anger foreshadows the romantic rage she feels after Tara’s death. Oz hitting Xander for Willow hitting on him is a little precursor to Oz’s jealousy and forgiveness of Willow over the mini-romance between Xander and his bird in S3. The murderous impulse may be pretty well hidden in Willow, but it is there.

The love spell does make for some great humour however; Jenny chews Giles out for ignoring her whilst trying to chat Xander up, Joyce flirting with Xander - and the best joke of Series 2:– Xander pushes the card filing cabinet up to the doors of the library to keep the female students out of the library only for Sex Buffy to pull open the door outwards. Buffy (and her stunt double) has done what every girl does when she has been dumped – peroxided her hair; Angel, meanwhile ,is wearing more eyeliner than when he had a soul. His rival can’t compete with that much Maybelline and is trying to think of words to rhyme with lungs – Spike’s inner poet is coming out. Buffy’s hurt and anger over Angel is also coming to the fore - she tells Xander: “You make me feel this way and then you reject me?!” showing that love is not always about the love object and is more about the lover’s feelings. Xander is only a temporary replacement for Angel and the hurt in Xander’s eyes when he realises Buffy’s come-ons are magiks rather than magical is a testament to Nicholas Brendan’s acting. His long held dream is not real. He makes up for the spell by rescuing Cordelia from the baying mob and for the hyena possession, when he wanted to possess Buffy, by not taking her up on her offers. Fortunately he is not the one to find de-ratted naked Buffy; that pleasure falls to Oz, which his apt since he is often the one waking up *sans* clothing after a full moon.

If all the Xanmania wasn’t enough, Angel then tries to kill him until an equally lovelorn Dru rescues him. He is then saved from being her un-dead boyfriend by the throng of women calling for his blood only to be bailed out by Cordy and they end up in Buffy’s basement, where their relationship began.

For once, the episode has a happy ending. Buffy says to Xander: “You came through, there’s hope for you yet”, but really this relates to Cordelia. She sees her friends as shallow sheep, changing their opinions with fashion and Cordy knows her own mind – she is nothing if not opinionated. Boys to the Cordettes are only for status; they will humiliate themselves just to go out with the most popular guy, rather than one they actually like, even if he is lame, even if he did try to invade her mind with spells. Xander is both right and wrong when he says dating Cordelia is a tad more perilous than slaying.

• A light in a dark 2nd half of the 2nd season.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series. Xander practically has every girl in Sunnydale drooling over him (every guy's dream). But with the drool comes the funny, the jelousy, the "please make them stop" and a lesson for all who have wanted to be the "it" guy. This episode is full of laughs in a dark part of the season.
  • One of the best Buffy episodes ever!

This was one of the best Buffy episodes ever. It was also one of the funniest. How many guys haven't thought about the idea of all the girls in their school wanting them. Of course we see how sometimes all the girls wanting you is a bad thing.

Also when I saw this when I was a teenager, you can't help but like the scene where Buffy is in the black coat. Ah my love.
  • Hilarious!!!!!!!!

When I saw this episode, I just about died laughing. I was extremely happy to see Amy in another episode. I loved when all the women were fighting over Xander, even Buffy....who was practically throwing herself at Xander! Yet he refused to take advantage of the situation, even though he's had the hots for her since day one. And seeing all the women, even ms. Calender, fawning and fighting over hime was incredibly funny. All that aside, the highlight of the episode is when Cordelia finally stands up to her "friends" and takes Xander back. One of the things I really enjoy about this show is the emphasis on doing the right thing.
FX