Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Blood Ties

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 06, 2001 on The WB

• Another brilliant episode; the truth is finally revealed in an emotional and shocking fashion.

Blood Ties is another fantastic episode of the outstanding Season 5 and the main arc continues to get bigger and more and more tense as the entire gang finds the truth out about Dawn and Dawn herself finds out the truth of her own origins.

As a massive fan of Season 5's arc, I was always going to love this episode. I loved the Dawn scenes, the reveal about Glory and just everything about it. The season has been building up to this moment; where Dawn finds out she is The Key and it doesn't disappoint. Michelle Trachtenberg was the star of the show here and outacted the entire cast, which is impressive considering she was only 15 years old at the time. You could really relate to and feel Dawn's pain and (screeching scenes aside) you felt for her.

The scene where Dawn finds out and slashes her wrists is very shocking and done fantastically. The normal conversation between Buffy, Willow and Tara beforehand and Tara's face as soon as she saw Dawn was just amazing. Dawn's words were heartbreaking "Am I real? Am I anything?". Michelle was truly outstanding here and I'm glad she's getting roles on Gossip Girl and other shows these days.

The reveal that Ben and Glory were one entity was very shocking the first time I seen it. We knew Ben had some involvement with her but the scene where the change happens was genuinely a wow moment. Only problem was that Charlie Weber who plays Ben was quite awful. His hands were moving all over the place and he just seemed really awkward and uncomfortable. He doesn't seem like a great actor and really just reminds me of Marc Blucas which isn't really a good thing.

Glory was delightful here; funny yet menacing at the end. The fight scene only helped to increase her aura of power and I just loved it when she said Buffy had really nice shoes and got kicked in the face with them as a reward. Willow's teleportation spell worked well and set up the episode later in the season where Willow magically assaults Glory (go Willow!).

Anya and Spike added a lot of humour here. Spike had all the best line "Sneaking out to watch Tellytubbies with your mates?" was hilarious. Anya's lines themselves weren't great but Emma Caulfield managed to make them wonderful with her perfect delivery and timing.

Blood Ties is an excellent episode and one that should not be overlooked. It is well written and brilliantly acted.
FX