Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Bring On The Night

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Dec 17, 2002 on The WB

• "Bring on the Night" takes the setup of the season so far and runs with it in fairly entertaining fashion.

What we've got here is a very dark plot-heavy episode that doesn't have a lot of time for the characters. Now, being the 'character' guy that I am, I won't lie in that I would have liked more character material here. With that said, I don't really have a problem with an episode that focuses on plot every now and then, as long as that plot is interesting and that the characters still act in a way that follows from what has been built before. "Bring on the Night" largely succeeds in that area, although it definitely has its missteps as well.

Speaking of missteps, the Potentials have arrived! Oh my! What a shitstorm this group of girls has caused in the fandom. I'll get my overall opinion of them out there right now: some of them I like, some of them I dislike, and some of them I could care less about. As a group, I can appreciate where the writers were going with the story, but I concede that they were not sufficiently developed enough to make me care about them, yet they were given enough attention to suck up valuable screen time for the characters we really care about. I definitely don't rabidly hate them like others seem to, but I do think they proved to be a negative at various points of the last half of the season. With all that said, the few that show up here aren't a problem at all.

While I'm on the subject of the Potentials, I'll say that while I'm not wild about Kennedy as Willow's girlfriend, I do like Kennedy as a Potential and a character. Here in "Bring on the Night," I find her cynicism and pragmatism refreshing. I particularly appreciate it when she responds to Giles' plan to save the world by saying, "That's it? That's the plan? I don't see how one person, even a slayer, could protect us. I saw what those bringer guys can do. They tore apart my watcher!"

As a side note, I'd like to comment on all the hate I've seen directed at many of the Potenials' various accents. Let me just say that I'm no expert on what certain accents are supposed to sound like. I've heard some pretty strange accents in my life so far, and I don't feel like judging these actresses on how good or bad their accents are, as a general rule. So you're not going to get much hate from me on their accents.

One thing I found a little irritating is how Buffy repeatedly overstates how the First made her feel back in "Amends" [3x10] for the sake of drama now. Back in "Amends" [3x10], Buffy pretty much shrugged the First off with a quip and didn't take it very seriously aside from being concerned for an unstable Angel. I would have preferred a reference to her cavalier attitude towards it before instead of the writers forcing her to grossly exaggerate the truth. To the episode's credit, it doesn't just have Buffy tell us about how bad the First is, it continues to show us. When Willow's spell backfires and the First takes control of her, it directly ties into the First's warning about using magic in "Conversations with Dead People" [7x07] -- it's playing on her fear -- and manages to really creep me out in the process. This effectively shuts Willow down, magic-wise, for a little while. Awesome scene.

Another fun scene is the funny but awkward moment when Buffy, holding a shovel, bumps into Principal Wood in the basement... with a shovel. Their various excuses are amusing, and the ambiguity that's going on is commendable. What I truly love is what both of their perceptions must be here. Buffy must be very suspicious of Wood, and Wood's got to be a little suspicious of Buffy. As for why Wood would have been in the basement, I think it's obvious that Wood knows that evil is brewing around him, which is why he's checking out all aspects of the school. He's not blind to what's going on. As for burying Jonathan's body, well, that's just seeing a dead boy on the floor and giving him a proper burial. What, is he going to see that and just leave the body in the basement of the school? I think there's a good reason for why Wood is doing what he's doing, and the ambiguity fits the story well.

I also really enjoyed Wood's conversation with Buffy about true evil, as it really sets up his arc this season with Spike and his dead mother: "I'm only saying that once you see true evil, it can have some serious after burn, and then you can't unsee what you saw. I also enjoyed Wood saying his favorite type of movies are mysteries, as he walks away grinning and Buffy's left with this look on her face like,

One problem that pops up in a couple places is the frequent flashbacks to recent episodes, as if assuming we weren't even watching. Buffy usually assumes more from its audience. Furthermore, the flashback where Giles is helping the other Watcher and gets an axe swung at his head is particularly annoying, because it doesn't get a resolution here. This annoyance is, admittedly, mostly a result of knowing that Giles is not the First. The first time I saw this I was getting nervous and excited about the potential of Giles as the First. But knowing that he's not, I find the game the writers play with him here and in the next couple episodes tedious at best. In an effort to make him ambiguous enough to possibly be the First, we lose a lot of Giles' personality and wisdom in the process.

For example, why is Giles being so doomsday with his speeches? Giles isn't one to stew in defeat, he's one to research and come up with ideas and help in any way he can. I find it hard to believe there's just nothing useful he has to add here. I understand forcing Buffy into a full-on command role, but that should still be with the assistence of the people who got her this far.

The highlight of the episode for me is probably the two fight scenes between Buffy and the Ubervamp. Both sequences have fantastic choreography. The Ubervamp is well represented as an incredibly vicious fighter and its raw fighting skill and literal tough skin is something to behold. The only problem I had with the underground fight is the convenience of the sun abruptly popping up out of nowhere at the exact moment Buffy needed it to. I would have preferred Buffy to have actually earned her way out of that situation.

The second fight picks up where the last one left off with the Ubervamp just beating the crap out of Buffy. It's painful to see her being wailed on that hard, and more than a little scary. The fact of the matter is that she is extremely tired and worn out before she even begins fighting the Ubervamp for the first time. Buffy's got no chance like this, which is why Dream Joyce wasn't wrong: she needs to sleep! My question is why did the Ubervamp just leave her there? Why didn't it finish her off? I guess an argument could be made that the First wants her alive to go back and demoralize and disorganize the troops. It certainly wants her alive for something, as we will find out in "Showtime" [7x11].

I'm a fan of how completely terrified Buffy looks back in her home, after the big fight, when she's alone. Her eyes speak a thousand words. Even better, though, is how she takes that fear and twists it into strong motivation. Although many things can be said about Buffy's speeches throughout the season, I genuinely love the one at the very end of this episode. It turns her fright and near-defeat into marching orders and is simply thrilling to see. I know the First wasn't expected that reaction out of her. Some may rub it off as overly melodramatic, but I thought it hit the spot and was very well acted by Gellar.

To sum everything up, I'll just add that I found "Bring on the Night" to be a very entertaining and solid plot-heavy episode. It does an admirable job of setting everything into motion and letting it play out on screen. In light of that, though, we didn't really get much character insight and/or development. Additionally, I can begin to see the writers making a few too many poor decisions. Sadly, a few of the problems introduced in this episode will only flourish over the next block of episodes, but this one still holds itself together.
  • "There's only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that's us"

I love this episode simply because of the last five minutes. During the episode, we see Buffy slowly breaking again. At the end, she's beaten up, defeated, and she comes downstairs to talk to the gang. At first, it sounds like she's just giving up. "'m beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of hell, and it's going to swallow me But than, she keeps going... "And it's going to choke on Her speech is beyond awesome. I love it. It makes me cry every time. It shows us how much Buffy has personally overcome since last season, where this would have kept her down.

The buildup to the last few minutes meant that the episode was a little depressive (Buffy getting beaten up by the Turok-Han, the torture scenes with Spike). Necessary to show that The First is evil, I get that, but still disturbing. Thankfully, Buffy's speech let it end on a good note.
  • Sarah Michelle Gellar delivers the St. Crispin's Day speech

No apocalyptic showdown would be complete without William Shakespeare's St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V.

Certainly Mel Gibson couldn't resist delivering it in Braveheart. Nor could countless actors playing football coaches at halftime in "triumph of the human spirit" Hollywood sports films.

In this episode of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer," Sarah Michelle Gellar delivers Joss Whedon's version of the St. Crispin's Day speech. This was foreshadowed in an earlier episode, in which Spike and Giles mention how a previous Buffy address was NOT the St. Crispin's Day speech.

It would be easy to mock a Valley Girl with a squeaky Betty Boop voice delivering such a portentous monologue. But by studiously avoiding any scenery chewing, by quietly throwing away her lines without any muss or fuss, SMG acquits herself surprisingly well.

It helped that the demon had just beaten her to pulp. The cringe-inducing wounds she suffered spoke volumes on her behalf.
  • Here come the Turok-Han

BRING ON THE NIGHT

The Good;

The epic fight between Buffy and the Turok-Han. Love her speech at the end!

The Bad;

See above. Also it seems weird that Spike can be tortured by drowning when he doesn't breathe but I guess the reflex is still there? And most obvious of all why doesn't the Turok-Han finish Buffy when it has the chance? Or at least take her prisoner? I know she likes her job but considering what's at stake (pardon the pun) surely Buffy should just continue taking some sick days and prepare for what's ahead? ASH's name in the title spoils the suprise of Giles showing up.

Best line;

Dawn; "There's blood on this. The First must have made a sacrifice. Or a music video" (too much MTV for you my girl!)

Women good/men bad;

Buffy has pics of Dawn, Joyce, Willow and Xander on her desk but none of her dad?

Jeez!;

Watching Buffy getting the stuffing knocked out of her is HORRIBLE! Not to mention the gruesome murder of the terrified Potential and poor Spike getting waterboarded.

Kinky dinky;

According to Anya demons used to boast about their evilness in an attempt to make her 'horny'. Dru/First says Spike used to like it when they'd 'Giggle, wiggle, squeal' and says she'd be bad if Spike likes it (Dru's dance move reminds me of Kate Bush doing Wuthering Heights!)

Captain Subtext;

And here's Kennedy who can convey an awful lot with just a look, you can see how Willow's mind is already working when Dawn asks her 'Does she want to eat?". Andrew seems to think that a good leader should have shiny hair.

Guantanamo Bay;

The gang still not hesitating to torture Andrew, even little Dawnie in on the act.

Scoobies to the ER;

Wes: 1

Anya;7

Dawn; 4

Kills:

Buffy: 117 vamps, 60 demons, 6 monsters, 5 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demon, 1 human/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Xander: 4

Dawn;1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 13

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers.

Sunnydale deaths; the poor Potential Annabelle

Total number of scoobies: 9, Giles and now add the first of the Potentials

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy and Molly

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 2 possible, Dracula+RJ(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

What the fanficcers thought;

Some good and bad on this one. Buffy captured by the First but rescued by Invisible Marcie from 'Out of Sight, Out of Mind' is cute. In a similar style Buffy rescued by invisible Dawn because they never did think to give the Nerd's raygun back. One truly schizo story stands out where Buffy is captured by the Turok-Han and then gangraped by it and the other Sunnydale demons. Just when you think it can't get any darker in the follow up story Joyce's ghost appears to her and gives her the resolve to kill the Turok-Han (castrating it in the process!) rescue Spike and escape. It ends with the greatest line, something like "In our darkest hour we all cry out to our creator, whether god or mother. For some loves can bring us strength from far beyond the grave"

And if you like things a bit more kinky an amazing one where Buffy ends up a ponygirl hitched to Santa's sleigh!

Questions and observations;

Nice to see Dru back again. The last time we shall ever see Joyce/Kristine Sutherland on the show (sob!). I know we've been told that the vision Dawn has in CWDP is The First but is this the real Joyce here? It appears to Buffy in her dreams which we haven't seen it do before and seems very encouraging? Anya in glasses, have we seen that before? Why doesn't Buffy carry more weapons when she goes after Annabelle. Once again when faced with the Turok Han Buffy sensibly retreats whilst old Faith or Kendra might have fought to the death. I always thought the Turok-Han was huge but looking at it here it seems just normal human height. Does the First need Buffy and Spike to open the Hellmouth, is that why it keeps them alive? Shouldn't the scoobs take Buffy to hospital if they think she has internal bleeding?

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• Bring On The Bratts!

Bring On The Night-With Spike missing, the gang try to regroup and clear the damage done to the Summers home. Giles arrives and reveals that the First Evil (first encountered in the episode Amends) is trying to destroy the Slayer line by killing all the Potential Slayers. Buffy and Giles search the Christmas tree lot where she last faced the First, and she encounters a creature out of nightmare called a Turok-Han.

Now that the Big Bad has finally been revealed, the main arc is kicked in overdrive with this episode, as the gang begin their research that's on The First. I love everyone's opinion on the First, especially Anya going on about demons she's met that claim to be the original Evil and older than dirt, lol. I also enjoyed the dreams/day dreams Buffy has about Joyce. Whether it's the First or simply Buffy's subconscious, it always great to see Kristine Sutherland like I said before. You can tell Buffy wants so bad for her mom to be real and be there for her, but she trust whatever she's seeing currently. The First could be anyone or manipulate her through various ways. While Buffy takes the threat of the First seriously, it's surprising how much she claims how intimidating and powerful the First was when she first met it. I remember Buffy pretty much brushing off the First's threats until it should it's true form and she ran off after Angel. So her going into detail about how "evil" the First felt to her seemed kinda forced and weak writing choice by the writers. One scene where they actually achieved showing how powerful the First was instead of Buffy's slightly retconned first meeting with the First, was the scene of the First taking over Willow at the house. It was a truly unexpected turn of events and scary as hell. I loved everything from Buffy's reaction to Willow's breakdown afterwards, still fearing that her magic might turn her into a monster again.

I also liked the interaction between Buffy and Principal Wood this episode. Last episode, he went down to the school's basement and mysteriously buried Jonathan's body. Their awkward meeting in the basement was priceless, as they both come up with random excuses that obviously the both doubt. I also liked their meeting in the office where Wood gives Buffy his opinion of evil. In these early episodes, it's interesting how they play with Wood's true agenda. Is he good? or is he working for the First? I also, enjoyed the scenes with the First as Dursilla.JulietLandau is twistedly brilliant as always and I loved the moment where Spike tells the First that Dru was crazier than it is. Then telling it to get bent!

Now, he we come to probably the most hated aspect of Season 7: The Potentials! Giles returns and brings the first 3 of over a dozen bratts who will infest this season. Now there is nothing wrong with the potentials in terms of their part in the storyline, actually, from a writing stand point, it's an awesome way to explore the slayer line and the slayer mythology. Season 5 touched upon it but here we learn in detail from Giles (who apparently survived the Bringer's attack!) is that every potential slayer is already has a Watcher and is trained before they are activated by the death of the last chosen one. We also learn why girls have been being killed all over the world: apparently, the First is trying to completely whip out the slayer line by killing all the potentials, then Faith, then Buffy. All this exposition by the way is awesome, it's a great final arc for the last season, that brings it back to the origins of the slayer and why the slayer is so important in the world of demons, vampires, etc. I also liked how the First is explained to be the ultimate evil, the reason behind all the Big Bads Buffy and the gang have faced in the past. Once again, it really gives the final season (and Buffy) a bigger threat than anything she's faced before. But once again, the potentials are just a mixed bag.Kennedyis the most decent right off the back, Annebeelle is tolerable while Molly has honestly the worst English accent I've ever heard. Talk about nails on a chalk board! Thank god she dies soon after! Anyway, after a touching moment between Giles and Buffy, we get a tense fight between Buffy and the newly unleashed vampire the First set free. It's a good fight and I love the moment when Buffy stakes it and it simply takes it out with no harm. We then learn that the vampire is a Tou-kan, an ancient race of vampires who are stronger and way more vicious than the average vampire. We soon learn that this vampire is no joke and is probably the strongest enemy Buffy has faced. The beatdown the Tuo-kan gives Buffy towards the end of the episode was beyond brutal. Never has Buffy seemed so defeated and helpless. What comes after is one of the most powerful speechesdeliveredon the series. While most of Buffy's speeches become to repetitive this season, the first one she gives her is beautifully written as well as deliveredremarkablyby Sarah Michelle Gellar. It's a true testament to what this season is about: Evil itself vs the strength of the chosen and her friends. Overall, "Bring On The Night" is another good episode that moves the plot forward well.

• "Buffy. No matter what your friends expect of you, Evil is a part of us. All of us, it's natural And no one can stop that. No one can stop nature. Not even"....

The whole mythology was portrayed and explored vividly. It was highly imaginative. The whole subject of fighting an endless evil was very intriguing, for that reason it made the plot have depth which I really appreciate. The potential as a concept was brilliant to give us a deeper understanding of the first and the firsts motives. Also give us a higher analysing point of the whole slayer line, a structure.

The Joyce scene was beautifully captivating. As stated in the previous seasons it was mention that Joyce was Buffys strength.. The warning she offered, that Buffy needed to rest. But unfortunately it didn't pay off. But what made that scene incredible was that it connected too reality it was so inspirational. To show the meaning of true life. "Buffy. No matter what your friends expect of you, Evil is a part of us. All of us, it's natural And no one can stop that. No one can stop nature. Not even"

When Willow tried a locater spell it easily influenced and manipulated her. That scene made the first seem powerful it give me, the audience chills running continuously down my spine.

Right, I recently decided to say that the Turok Han, is EPIC! as a minor big bad. I loved the concentration and development. I really admire the fact that the Turok Han is," It was a Turok-Han. As Neanderthals are to human beings, Turok-Han are to vampires. They're ancient, primordial, ferociously strong killing machines which live off blood, single-minded as animals. They are the vampires vampires fear". It was well suited, it made the uber vamp even more epic. The Fightscene was brutal, the Turok Han speed was undoubtly the fastest vampire I ever seen.
    The quote at the end was amazing to show Buffy as a true leader. "We're not ready? THEY'RE not ready. They think we're gonna wait, like we always do, for the end to come but I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? We'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run do it now, because we just became an army. We just declared war". GOOSEBUMPS. 10+

• The One with All the Potentials

6.1
    And this is where it all goes wrong. The potential slayers, single-handedly, are the worst characters in the history of the Buffyverse. Yes! I know what you're thinking "What about Riley?” Yes, Riley could have been replaced by a brick wall and nobody would have noticed but the potentials are just so gut-wrenchingly awful to listen to, they make you want to blow up the TV set.

The rest of the episode is perfect. The Turok-Han is one of the most terrifying villains in Buffy history. Looking like a scarier version of the "Grr... aarrgghh" monster at the end of each episode, it's a very effective monster. It's slightly unfortunate that the big shock of it being unable to be staked is spoiled as we've already seen the same thing happen before (I think with Kakistos).

Out of the potentials, Kennedy is the only one who makes an impact here. I absolutely loathed her as time went on but at least she doesn't make you want to tear your ears out like the other two in the episode, Molly and Annabelle. Clara Bryant, who's obviously American, can't pull off a British accent, she sounds like she's talking with a broken neck (which thankfully she'll get in a couple of episodes). At least the writers made a good decision to kill off Annabelle in her first episode. She was extremely annoying with her pathetic way of talking (pronouncing every syllable, "be-cause") and her stupid holier-than-thou attitude.

Another annoyance, Giles's near-beheading in Sleeper seems to of been completely forgotten. Yes, it's a neat twist to have the audience suspect he's the First but I find it completely unbelievable that nobody saw him touch ANYTHING during his current time in Sunnydale.

It was extremely cool to see Drusilla back, despite being the First in disguise, and Juliet Landau was brilliant as usual. Loved the fight scene at the end and it's good to see that the writers are willing to have the lead character beaten to a pulp when other shows (like Charmed) would never dare mess up their lead actress' perfect faces.

A really good episode which is completely spoilt by the potentials.
  • Buffy sets new rule

Buffy steps up and changes the rules. She will no longer wait for the big bad to do its evil, but she will bring the war to it.

I think this episode is amazing, and although the season feels drawn out, it has the best over arching plot.

And although Andrew later makes fun of Buffy for all her speach making this season, this first speach at the end of the episode it the most powerful thing she's ever said.

But the biggest downfall the entire season is the potentials. They crowd the house, the scenes, the dialog. It could be that I just hate Kennedy that much that by default I don't like the potentials. (Kennedy pushed to much, Willow was not ready for a relationship, but Kennedy kept pushing!) I HATE KENNEDY!
  • Bring On The Night

Bring On The Night was a perfect and entertaining episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. After realizing that The First has launched an all out attack Buffy encounters the Uber Vamp and is left nearly dead. This episode definitely tested Buffy's character and will, and she really came through like a true Hero. It was also fun to watch the first playing with Spike. This episode also saw the return of Giles which was a nice surprise given recent events. I think it was poetic that he escaped the distruction of the Watchers Council. I look forward to seeing what happens in the next episode!!!!!!!
  • "A new kind of bad." - Buffy "Just in time for Christmas." - Giles

We start with Xander sweeping up detritus once more. He, and we, are getting deja vu (or rather Mummy Hand vu). Fortunately, given what's coming, he has the foresight to board up the windows permanently.

This episode starts to firm up what's coming. We now know that the gang are dealing with The First and that it's "unlike anything we've faced before....there's evil and then there's the thing that created evil, the source." We are going for the big finish, after all. This is a thing that literally can't be fought. We also learn that one of the First's corporeal agents, the Turok Han, is not like those usual soppy vamps that fall in love and get souls. The T-H is the "vampire that vampires fear", the fighting machine that doesn't die when staked. So this is bigger than a centuries-old vampire, Buffy's lover-gone-bad, a demon Mayor and a rogue Slayer, a cyber-demon, a goddess, and a witch gone wild? We get it already. Apart from the shock of Buffy *not* defeating a vampire, it doesn't feel at this point that there's anything that the gang can't face, if they're together. A "slight apocalypse"? We've all been there.

Of course, there are still issues at this point. There's the Potentials, one of whom has been to the Dick Van Dyke School of British Accents, another who's already making herself known as the stroppy one, and the third who seems incredibly obedient, but then turns tail and runs.

She doesn't trust Buffy or she doesn't trust herself, a situation that both Willow and Spike have found themselves in. TFE manifests itself when Willow tries to do a spell, causing her much distress and the belief that she is too easily overtaken by evil. Spike was in this situation in the last episode, yet it now seems that he is impervious to harm caused by the Turok Han and TFE-as-Dru because he knows Buffy believes in him. Whilst Spike is being tortured by the First's agent of evil, Andrew is being tortured by Buffy's agent of good, Anya, someone who has been turned from the dark to the light. She bonds with Dawn over slappage, yet we also see the possibility of their torturee, Andrew, becoming one of the good guys. He already seems to be changing his allegiance from Warren/TFE to Buffy ("She seems like a good leader. Her hair is shiny."). Although he, like Spike, has a long way to go to make amends for what he has done. Similarly to Spike in S4, he is tied to a chair and is pretending to change sides in order to save his own skin (literally, the ropes are itchy). Yet we also bonding between Andrew and Xander as they talk about comics, hinting at the possibility that Andrew could reform and become a useful member of the gang.

This episode also furthers the ambiguity of some characters. Giles is back, but unemotional, undemonstrative and not touching anything. Could he be the First? "It's out there, I'll find it", says Buffy before opening to the door to her Watcher. Joyce is back, but is she too an agent of the First, trying to get Buffy to give up the fight? Evil will always be with us, she says. We know that Buffy's dreams always have some basis in reality (she has already dreamed the deaths of other potentials) and what Joyce is saying seems to be true – they won't be fighting to vanquish evil, they'll be fighting to keep the status quo, the balance of good and evil. Interestingly, it is the parental figures we are not sure about in this episode – the people whom we believe are all good until we discover that they can do bad things; using the mum and dad substitutes as agents of ambiguity is in itself a metaphor for the fact that good and bad exist – and will always exist in the world.

The other parental figure (although he becomes a slightly incestuous father figure later on) behaving cryptically is Principal Wood who has to make excuses for being in the basement just as Buffy has to make them to him, and gives a little inscrutable speech and smirk about evil to confuse Buffy and the audience. He claims to love a good mystery and "finding out what's underneath it all at the very end." - us too!

The final thing this episode seeks to bring about is Buffy's great responsibility in this final fight. Giles makes sure she knows it's all about her. "I'm afraid it falls to you, Buffy. You're the only one who has the strength to protect these girls and the world against what's coming" and later, "They're depending on you". This fits in with Buffy's previous feelings of inferiority about her superiority complex, her sense of isolation and disconnectedness, a theme that will further be explored as she becomes a General leading an army - until the last episode when she finds a final solution. At present, she doesn't seem like a General as she limps through a factory with an unkillable Terminator – I mean ubervamp - in hot pursuit, but the last scene is the first of her inspirational speeches:

"I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of hell, and it is gonna swallow me whole. And it'll choke on me. We're not ready? They're not ready. They think we're gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run, do it now. 'Cos we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them, and cut out their hearts one by one, until The First shows itself for what it really is. And I'll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that's us. Any questions?"
  • Dru is back!

Spike is tortured by The First in different disguises. One of them is Drusilla ( Juliet Landau is great as ever ).
    Another most welcomed comeback is Giles. He returns to Sunnydale with a couple of girls, future slayers or potentials. He wants buffy to protect them because all over the world The First has started killing these potentials.
    Buffy is trying to locate Spike and is attacked by an Übervamp ( Turok-Han ), something that was released by Spikes blood on the seal.
    Turok-Han is one of the best villains Buffy has to fight, Giles classifies it as "the vampire, vampires fear".
    The season arc is finally put into the spotlight. Unfortunately also the storylines of the future slayers is introduced, in my opinion one of the weakest in the history of the show.
    What saves this episode for me are the appearances of Juliet Landau and Anthony Stuart Head.
  • Ubervamp steps in.

7.9
    The First continues the battle against Buffy by using the scary Ubervamp. Thrilling? Oh yes. All the scenes with Buffy and the Ubervamp were amazing. How can Buffy battle something like that? It seems impossible. I guess we'll have to wait and see how will the entire thing resolve.

I was glad to see Juliet Landau on the show again. She was always crazy, original and funny to watch. They Drusilla/The First tortured Spike was amazing (don't get me wrong, I don't like to see people getting tortured, I'm just saying that Drusilla is a very interesting character).

The episode also featured Giles's return (they still need to explain how did he save his head, literally). And it seems like the house is getting overcrowded. Those potentials bring a few good scenes, but nothing interesting.
  • "Sorry to barge in, I'm afraid we have a slight... apocalypse."

We finally learn that Giles is okay and hasn't been killed in the incident we saw at the end of the previous episode. I'm glad he's back in Sunnydale and his entrance line "Sorry to barge in, I'm afraid we have a slight... apocalypse." was so amazing!
    So were the other references in this episode like the one with the spider-senses by Andrew or how he's permenantly referring to famous comic and film villains. Did I mention that I love this idiot? He's such a dope, but kinda likeable though.

The episode gave a first impression of how bad this could all end. The dialogues are at their best in this season, the references and foreshaddowings beat everything and yet it's so dark and so profound. For the first time, it really seems like Buffy might not win this battle. But then she declares war and here comes the big finish. Brilliant season!!! Have I told you lately how much I love this show even after so many years? I have practically grown up with it, but now I am a grown-up and I still love it!!!
  • A good episode of Buffy especially because of the return fo giles.

This episode was very good it had the return of Giles and wiht him he brought three potentials (who i never really liked) but it also saw a great fight scene with the Uber Vamp even if Buffy got beaten pretty easily both times. Andrew was very funny in this episode as he always is, so was Xander. I thought that the scenes between Spike and the first acting as drusilla were pretty boring and didnt interest me at all. This is one of the episodes that really started the transition from what is it? what are we going to do? to we need to gather all the potentials and get spike back. Overall a good episode with some really good moments.
  • It improved again. still missing something but the Willow scene was awesome and Buffy talking to the gang at the end was beautiful. Giles comes back too and brings three slayers. and Buffy looses of the ubervamp.

Bring On The Night

Better than the last two episodes. and three new characters. I love the scene where Willow almost goes dark and the last scene. its a pretty cool episode but isn't Buffy at it's best.

cut to the house and they talk abut the first but Anya doesn't believe it. and they have Andrew on the chair but he's still out and Dawn tries to wake up. They can't find anything and then Buffy sees her mom and she thinks she's the first. She tells her to rest but Buffy says it's a lie and she tells her to wake up and Buffy wakes up because she was dreaming and Xander woke her up. and he asks what she saw. cut to a cafe and the big vampire dragged him and hurts Spike and the first changes into Drusilla while the vamp hurts Spike.

the credits start

cut to Buffy coming and Anya and Dawn were trying to wake him and then he wakes up and he thought he was dead. and he has to show them the seal and then they go to the school and find it. They say that he killed Jonathan but he doesn't believe it and they know it made another sacrifice and then they cover it up and go out. And they bump into Wood and Buffy says she was sick and they ask what he's doing there and he was returning something. and Buffy says se's coming back and they both look suspicious and they go their own way. cut to Buffy's house and Willow is doing a spell and suddenly something weird happens and the first goes inside her and she attacks them but Xander destroys what she was doing and she falls on the ground. Willow is crying and she had it in her and she cannot use magic again.

Buffy has to go out and find something but Giles is at the door opening and then three girls come in and he says they have an apocalypse. The girls are potential slayers and what t first wants is to kill all the slayers and watchers and then Faith and Buffy and then there is no slayer anymore. And then Giles says that the council is gone and that it explode but Giles saved a few files about The First. And Andrew annoys them and they put something on his mouth and it cannot fight on it's own and changes into dead people and it's workers are the bringers. The First is the source of true evil and it's where it all began. Giles says that Buffy is the only one who can protects the girls and one of the girls doesn't know how they can be saved here. Buffy says they need more muscle and they need Spike.

cut to Spike being tortured. The first isn't done with Spike yet and the ubervamp continues torturing Spike. cut to Giles and Buffy walking outside and Buffy says she missed him. cut to the house and Willow is arranging beds for the three new girls and Kennedy begins to flirt with Willow. cut to the kitchen and Molly wants cookies but Annabelle is a clean girl. cut to Buffy and Giles searching for the place and Buffy falls in a hole and she's gonna check it out and she hears something. and it begins to fight rand she fights back but it's too strong and it doesn't die from her stake. and then Buffy climbs because it's too strong but she is able to go out and the sun comes up and the vamp stays inside. cut to them coming home and the new girls are up.

Giles tells Buffy that it's a Turok-Kan and those vampires are a different race and ancient. And Annabelle asks if Buffy slayed it but he didn't but he can't come out with the light but Buffy cannot sleep. Buffy goes to work and she tries to find it. cut to Buffy working and she tries to find The First and Robin sees it and she is finding horror movies. Then Robin acts even more weird to her and his favourite movies are mysteries to find what it's underneath at the end. cut to the cafe and The first acts weird to Spike and he says she was crazier and the vamp continues hitting him and The first asks him to join their side but he doesn't want to and the vamp continues torturing him. cut to Buffy in the bathroom and her mom is again and she tells Joyce that she doesn't have time because everyone is counting on her but Joyce tells her that her friends ask for to much and then the bell rings and Buffy wakes up but the kid gets mad who was talking to her and goes away and Robin is watching it.

cut to the house but the potentials are all scared and Kennedy asks for weapons but Annabelle tells her to behave. Then Andrew asks them to untie him but he makes himself ridiculous. Then Molly calls the rest and that Annabelle split. cut to her outside running and then suddenly the vamp grabs her and takes her up and kills her and Buffy finds her dead body later and the vamp attacks her from behind. They begin to fight and he almost kills her but she escapes by sitting on him and she runs away but she attacks her again and then she almost killed him but he comes up again and attacks her and knocks her out by throwing her in some stoned things. cut to the gang arriving and they find her beat down.

cut to e cafe and The First is talking to Spike and it wished for him to be alive and it's no ready and they say he doesn't have a choice and he says that Buffy believes in him. cut to Buffy at home all beat down and the guys say that she looks bad and has eternal bleeding. They say that The first is everywhere and they don't know if they can fight it. then comes Buffy and she says she doesn't know when it'll come and they can't hide and it's the end and they have always win but they have to fight the strongest and she says that they're no ready either. They are gonna give them an apocalypse because the only more powerful thing than evil are them 'any questions?'

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Xander: It's a loop...like the Mummy Hand. I'm doomed to replace these windows for all eternity. You know, maybe we should just board these up until things are less hellmouthy.
    Anya: Nothing...and nothing. Cliff Notes to nothing. Nothing abridged...
    Willow: Yeah, my search isn't turning anything up either. Are you sure this thing called itself The First?
    Buffy: Pretty sure. It claimed to be the original evil, the one that came before anything else.
    Anya: Please, how many times have I heard that line in my demon days? "I'm so rotten, they don't even have a word for it. I'm bad. Baddy bad bad bad. Does it make you horny?" Or terrified. Whatever.
    Buffy: It wasn't a line. When I came up against this thing, I felt it. It was ancient and enormous. It nearly got Angel to kill himself. And if we don't rescue Spike soon, God only knows what the First'll get him to do.
    Xander: I wish Sleeping Ugly would come to. He's been out all night.
    Anya: Yes, he was just starting to squeal when the spooky SWAT attacked. Said The First was held up at the Seal of...Danzar something?
    Dawn: Hmm. Maybe he's just faking so he doesn't have to answer any more questions. Hm. Or maybe he's in a fugue state.
    Buffy: Dawn.
    Dawn: What?
    Buffy: He'll come to when he comes to. Keep reading. If we're gonna rescue Spike, we need to figure out how to fight this thing.
    Dawn: Anya gets to hit him.
    Willow: Hey! Here, The First!...Bank of Delaware. Sorry.
    Buffy: Hand me the Watchers' Codex again.
    Joyce: Can I get you anything else, baby? How 'bout some tea?
    Buffy: Mom? You're not real.
    Joyce: OK, is that, uh, slang, like you're not for real, or?
    Buffy: You're The First.
    Joyce: Oh, baby, you're so tired, you're not making sense. Maybe you should get some sleep.
    Buffy: No.
    Joyce: You can't win against this thing. Not if you don't rest.
    Buffy: Stop. Stop being like this. It's a lie.
    Joyce: I don't want to scare you, but I want you to take care. You need to wake up.
    Buffy: What?
    Xander: You're dreaming. Buff, wake up.
    Buffy: Hm? Did you see it?
    Xander: There's nothing to see. You were just doing a little dream talking, that's all.
    Buffy: Oh.
    Xander: You OK? What'd you see?
    Buffy: Nothing. It was nothing.

Spike/The First: Go on. Give it a kick then. You always liked that, didn't you?
    Drusilla/The First: Kick a dolly when he's down. That was always your style. Has buckets of energy, poor dear. He's been laying in wait for his moment since before the bug walked. There, there, pet. Soon as the moon comes, you'll have your carnage. Little girls tear so easily, like pink paper. 'Til then, we'll have our way with this one. Got it coming, he does.

Anya: That was something.
    Dawn: Maybe if you threw hot water on him.
    Anya: Good thinking. Whoa, hey.
    Dawn: Hi. Nothing.
    Buffy: What?
    Dawn: Oh, um, I thought you were gonna ask us what we were doing.
    Buffy: No, was going to ask-
    Dawn: Oh! Look who's awake.
    Anya: Silly Andrew, you drooled all over yourself.
    Andrew: I'm- I was about to be dead. You saved me.
    Buffy: For the time being. But if you don't tell us what we need to know, then I'm gonna offer you to The First on a platter and let him chop you into tiny pieces.
    Andrew: The first what?
    Anya: The name of the evil thing that pretended to be Warren to get you to kill Jonathan.
    Andrew: Oh, not very ominous sounding.
    Dawn: No, i-it is if you understand the context.
    Andrew: No, an evil name should be like Lex or Voldemort or-
    Buffy: Hey, I was intimidating here.
    Andrew: Oh, sorry. Um, go ahead.
    Buffy: Forget it. Where's the seal?

Andrew: Man, this place gives me the creeps. It's like in Wonder Woman, issue 297/299-
    Xander: "Catacombs"- yeah with the skeletons.
    Andrew/Xander: That was cool.
    Xander: Move it. This way.
    Dawn: So what next? We found the seal, but no Spike.
    Buffy: I don't know. The first was camped underground last time I found him, but-
    Robin: Buffy?
    Buffy: Hey.
    Robin: Hey. I- thought that you were, um-
    Dawn: Sick? She was. Oh, vomiting and oozing from various places and-
    Robin: Yeah, I remember, so please don't go on.
    Dawn: Oh, but now, it's amazing. The doctor gave her some cream.
    Buffy: Pills. And a cream. And I'm all better.
    Robin: Oh, yeah, um, apparently somebody left this in the courtyard, and I was just returning it.
    Buffy: That's some full-service principaling.
    Robin: I try.
    Buffy: Oh, I was down here helping Dawn with a school project.
    Dawn: For science.
    Buffy: We buried a, um, uh, time capsule.
    Dawn: Hello people of the future. Kids of today like Red Bull and, uh, Jackass.
    Buffy: We better go.
    Robin: Buffy? You know if you are feeling better, I could really use you back at work. I've been wait listing kids who really want to see you.
    Buffy: Oh, uh, yeah. Uh, I'm sorry, you know, I was just- I've been ill and stuff.
    Robin: No, no, it's fine, and I understand. It's just things are starting to back up.
    Buffy: Well I-I-I'll be there tomorrow. No problem. 100% ooze free.
    Robin: Good.
    Buffy: OK.

Dawn: They're all slayers?
    Giles: Potential slayers. Waiting for one to be called. There were many more like them all over the world, but, um, now there's just a handful, and they're all on their way to Sunnydale.
    Buffy: The others were murdered.
    Giles: In cold blood. As well as their watchers. We always feared that this day would come, when there'd be an attack against not just an individual slayer, but against the whole line.
    Buffy: The First. That's what it wants.
    Giles: Yes, to erase all the slayers in training and their watchers along with their methods.
    Buffy: And then Faith, and then me. And with all the potentials gone and no way of making another, it's the end. No more slayer. Ever.
    Willow: But we haven't found any information on The First. No documentation-
    Giles: That's because it predates any written history, and it rarely shows its true face. The only record I know was in the Council Library.
    Anya: What about the Council? What do they say about this?
    Giles: Gone.
    Willow: What?
    Giles: Obliterated. They were in session, and, uh, there was an explosion.
    Willow: That means all the Council's records are-are destroyed?
    Giles: Annabelle. That's what's left. The mystic secrets of the Watchers. And whatever I could find on The First. When I learned what was happening, I-I, um, I stole them.
    Anya: And you blew the Council up! See, this is what happens when you're all stuffy and repressed. You overreact.
    Giles: Not- I didn't. Must've been an agent of The First, after my little burglary session. The knowledge contained in these files had to be protected, and there wasn't time for-for bureaucracy or debate. The Council knows no other way.
    Andrew: And it cost them their lives! Go on.
    Buffy: Can we gag him? But what do these records say about The First?
    Giles: Uh, very little. It can change form. Uh, it only appears in the guise of someone who's passed away.
    Willow: Our ghosts.
    Giles: Also it's not corporeal. It can't touch or fight on it's own. It only works through those it manipulates. And its followers, the Bringers.
    Kennedy: Those freaks in the black robes.
    Molly: Yeah, with the hoodies and the crazy alphabet eyes. I never saw 'em, I just heard-
    Annabelle: Shh! Molly, Mr. Giles doesn't need us prattling on.
    Giles: The First is unlike anything we've faced before. I mean, there's evil and then there's the thing that created evil, the source.
    Buffy: And that's what this thing claims to be?
    Giles: That's what it is. It has eternities to act, endless resources. How to defeat it- I-I- honestly I don't know. But we have to find a way. If the slayer line is eliminated, then the hell mouth has no guardian. The balance is destroyed. I'm afraid it falls to you, Buffy. Sorry. I mean, we'll do what we can, but you're the only one who has the strength to protect these girls- and the world- against what's coming.
    Xander: But no pressure.
    Kennedy: That's it? That's the plan? I don't see how one person, even a slayer, could protect us. I saw what those bringer guys can do. They tore apart my watcher.
    Giles: Of course we'll use all our resources-
    Kennedy: And if this thing is the root of all evil, isn't the hell mouth it's number one vacation spot? I mean, don't you think we should be hiding our asses on the other side of the globe?
    Annabelle: Kennedy!
    Buffy: No, she's not wrong. We need more muscle. That's why we need to find Spike.
    Anya: Yeah, he'll help. You know, if he's not crazy or off killing people or dead. Or, you know, all of the above.

Drusilla/The First: That's why our kind make such good dollies. Hard to kill. Tried to enlighten little Buffy, didn't you? Spilled, spilled, spilled our secrets like seed. But you forgot, I say what you tell and what you know. I say when this is over. And I'm not done with you yet. Not nearly.

Willow: OK, so Annabelle can sleep down here, uh, Molly can sleep in Dawn's room—
    Kennedy: Not if Dawn actually wants to sleep. Molly'll talk her ear off.
    Willow: OK, then Molly down here, you with Dawn, and Annabelle in my room.
    Kennedy: Bad idea. Annabelle snores.
    Willow: You wanna do the sleeping arrangements?
    Kennedy: OK. You, uh, better not hog the covers.

Buffy: ...the others just yet. It'll give us a chance to-
    Kennedy: Sorry about the British invasion.
    Molly: We've been up for hours.
    Annabelle: 4 P.M. London time.
    Kennedy: Are you all right? You look...
    Buffy: Oh. Yeah, I'm OK. I just got into a fight is all. You want to tell me with what?
    Giles: Yes, Buffy, but don't you think we should, uh, discuss this privately?
    Buffy: You mean, not in front of the next generation? No time to coddle them, Giles. Welcome to the war room, guys.
    Giles: Uh, what you fought was a vampire, but it was, um, something more than that. It was a Turok-Han. As Neanderthals are to human beings, the Turok-Han are to vampires. Primordial, ferociously powerful killing machines, as single-minded as animals. They are the vampires that vampires fear. An ancient and entirely different race and, until this morning, I thought they were a myth.
    Buffy: So, The First shows up, and now this? You think it's a coincidence?
    Giles: I think it's more likely that the Turok-Han is here as an agent of The First.
    Annabelle: Um, did you slay it?
    Buffy: No, it's still out there, somewhere.
    Molly: What's it want?
    Buffy: All of us dead. But for now it looks like sunlight is keeping this UberVamp away.
    Giles: So, until sunset, I suggest you get some rest. A few hours sleep will do a world of difference.
    Buffy: No sleep today. Can't.
    Giles: Oh, come on, you're exhausted.
    Buffy: Ah, it comes with the gig. Somehow I don't think taking on prehistoric evil comes with nap time. Sorry, potential guys. I know you came a long way, and you wanna get into it, but the best thing you can do right now is just sit tight, wait it out. I'm gonna go to work, see what I can find out. I'll be back before sunset.
    Giles: How do you plan to research something as ill-defined as The First?
    Buffy: I have the best plan ever.

Robin: Manifestations of evil? In... the... movies. You're searching for evil movies?
    Buffy: Uh, I know it's not the all-time most kosher use of my office hours, um, but, you know, looking at some down time. And what can I say, I just love those evil, evil movies. Like Exorcist, you know, Blair Witch...
    Robin: Hmm. As opposed to Rob Schneider's Oeuvre.
    Buffy: Different kind of evil.
    Robin: Yeah. Buffy, you know, I'm not that big a fan of scary movies, even the hokie ones. Sometimes they go to a place that I think kids could stand to avoid.
    Buffy: Well, it's not for the kids.
    Robin: Yeah, yeah, I'm only saying that once you see true evil, it can have some serious after burn, and then you can't unsee what you saw. Ever. That's just one opinion. I better get back to work.
    Buffy: What kind of movies do you like?
    Robin: Oh, me? Mysteries. I love finding out what's underneath it all at the very end.

Drusilla/The First: Think of it as a game. A fun, funny game. Without all the rules, or any of the bothersome winning part. But still, there are sides. You have to choose a side, Spike. Then we can fly- be free and visit all our friends as they come squirming up from out the earth. I know you like a good wriggle and a giggle and a squiggle.
    Spike: You're not Drusilla.
    Drusilla/The First: No, I'm really not.
    Spike: She was crazier than you.
    Drusilla/The First: Ooh, daddy. No kicking. It's almost Christmas day today and you've gone spoiling it. I've been so very good all year. But I could be bad if you like. Bad daddy. Needs a caning. Never learned his headmaster's lesson while all the school bells ring and ring and ring and ring and ring… Choose a side. Choose our side. You know that it's delicious. What do you say?
    Spike: Dru, luv...
    Drusilla/The First: Hmm?
    Spike: Get bent.
    Drusilla/The First: Stupid, stubborn daddy.

Joyce: Buffy, what happened?
    Buffy: Uh, oh, it's OK, Mom.
    Joyce: I tried to warn you, but- right. The last thing you need now is one of helpful Mom's guilt trips. I'll get you some ice.
    Buffy: No. Mom, I-I can't.
    Joyce: Buffy, you have to heal.
    Buffy: I don't have time.
    Joyce: Are you worried about the sun going down? Because there's some things you can't control. The sun always goes down, the sun always comes up.
    Buffy: Everyone's counting on me.
    Joyce: Well, they do that, and I'm sorry, Buffy, but these-these friends of you put too much pressure on you. They always have.
    Buffy: Something evil is coming.
    Joyce: Buffy, evil isn't coming, it's already here. Evil is always here. Don't you know? It's everywhere.
    Buffy: And I have to stop it.
    Joyce: How are you gonna do that?
    Buffy: I-I don't know yet, but-
    Joyce: Buffy, no matter what your friends expect of you, evil is a part of us. All of us. It's natural. And no one can stop that. No one can stop nature, not even-
    Buffy: Oh, um, I'm sorry. What were we talking about?
    Roger: Only my life. You're just like all the others.
    Buffy: No. No, no, no. I'm different. I'm hip. I relate to the young people. (stands to leave) No, don't go, uh, uh...
    Roger: Roger.
    Buffy: Roger. See? I knew that!

Andrew: Listen to me, man, I've got a bad feeling about this.
    Xander: Of course you've got a bad feeling, dude. You're-you're tied to a chair.
    Andrew: No. Yeah, but above and beyond that. I'm telling you that my spider-sense is tingling. This is gonna get hairy. I'm talking weird with a beard. Better untie me.
    Buffy: And that'll help us, how?
    Andrew: OK, I know what you're thinking. Andrew, bad guy. You think I'm a super-villain like Dr. Doom or Apocalypse or-or The Riddler. But I admit I went over to the dark side, but just to pick up a few things, a-and now I'm back. I've learned. I'm good again.
    Buffy: And when were you good before?
    Andrew: OK, technically, never. Touché. But I'm like Vader in the last 5 minutes of Jedi with redemptive powers minus a redemptive struggle of epic redemption which chronicles... These ropes itch.

Drusilla/The First: Do you know why you're alive?
    Spike: Never figured you for existential thought, luv. I mean, you hated Paris.
    Drusilla/The First: You're alive for one reason, and one reason only. Because I wish it. Do you know why I wish it? Because I'm not done with you.
    Spike: Give it up. Whatever you are, whatever you get away with, I'm out. You can't pull this puppet's strings anymore.
    Drusilla/The First: And what makes you think you have a choice? What makes you think you will ever be any good at all in this world?
    Spike: She does. Because she believes in me.

Giles: We could make plans as we always do, but the truth is, Buffy was our plan. There is no back up.
    Willow: Giles, she looks bad.
    Giles: She does. I'm afraid there may be internal bleeding.
    Willow: What does that mean? Will she-
    Giles: Die? I don't think so. I don't know.
    Willow: What do we do if she can't fight, if she can't beat this thing?
    Giles: We're back at square one.
    Xander: Which square would that be, exactly?
    Giles: I'm not sure. The First predates everything we've ever known, or can know. It's everywhere. It's pure. I don't know if we can fight it.
    Buffy: You're right. We don't know how to fight it. We don't know when it'll come. We can't run, can't hide, can't pretend it's not the end, 'cause it is. Something's always been there to try and destroy the world. We've beaten them back, but we're not dealing with them anymore. We're dealing with the reason they exist. Evil. The strongest. The First.
    Giles: Buffy, I- I-I know you're tired.
    Buffy: I'm beyond tired. I'm beyond scared. I'm standing on the mouth of hell, and it is gonna swallow me whole. And it'll choke on me. We're not ready? They're not ready. They think we're gonna wait for the end to come, like we always do. I'm done waiting. They want an apocalypse? Oh, we'll give 'em one. Anyone else who wants to run, do it now. 'Cause we just became an army. We just declared war. From now on, we won't just face our worst fears, we will seek them out. We will find them, and cut out their hearts one by one, until The First shows itself for what it really is. And I'll kill it myself. There is only one thing on this earth more powerful than evil, and that's us. Any questions?

Story: 9
    Acting: 8
    Writing: 9
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 9
    My Rank: 9
    Total: 9.0
  • Some of the best characters come back, and this episodes explains a lot more of whats to come in the final season.

When I watch the later seasons of Buffy, I love seeing characters from the past popping up. In this episode we Giles comes back with three potential slayers, Annabelle, Molly, and Kennedy. Joyce, Buffy's mom is there for a few moments. Unfortunately it's her final appearance on the series. She is one of the only cast members to appear in all 7 seasons. And also, the First Evil takes the form of Drusilla, my personal favorite character. She hasn't been seen at all on the show since Season 5.

This episode introduces the potentials, bringers, and what's to come. It's one of the better episodes. Unfortunately there is a death. Annabelle gets scared and runs, and gets killed. Over all this is a great episode.