The WB (ended 2003)
Buffy had a pretty good track record for picking men who would, well, make her life a little difficult. Let's travel back & time and drool all over again for her Bad Boys.

Pike: Okay, this one was in the movie, but I still think it's worth discussing. Her first bad boy! A drunk and slacker, Pike did not get along with Buffy at first. However, when Buffy saves him from vampire-related death, the two become close and eventually work together to save the school from vampires. I mean, who can resist Luke Perry? Not me, not Buffy, and probably not you, either!

Image credit

Angel: I think the relationship between Buffy & Angel was every girl's fantasy back when BTVS first started airing. Sexy, dark & mysterious dude who protects you and is there whenever you need him? Yeah, that. Their passion sizzled every time they were on screen together and their first night together? Yeah, we'll all remember that one.

Riley
: Although he ended up hiding some pretty important secrets of his own, Riley seemed the safe choice for Buffy after she was so hurt by Angel. Riley was kind, sweet, and everything Angel was not. But Riley was never able to get over his insecurity about how powerful and independent Buffy was and thus, ultimately, the two would never work out. Buffy needs to be able to be herself and Riley could never accept who she truly was. I think he needed to work on his own issues.

Image credit

Spike: By the time Spike & Buffy got together, it felt like a convenient plot device. The two never shared much sexual chemistry before but the writers made a valiant effort to make it work. Listen, TV writers, not EVERY character in ensemble casts needs to sleep with EVERY other character. Just sayin'. Regardless, their relationship led to some hilarious moments between the two and, ultimately, a really strong friendship that allowed Spike to become the hero we all knew he could be. Spike deserved a little love, too!

Buffy always goes for the baddies! But, when you're such a strong independent woman (never mind a vampire slayer!), I imagine it's hard to settle down with a normal guy. Would you want to?

poll

Image credit
for main image.
61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, for me it's always been Spike, because I felt he deserved Buffy more and I really liked how he's always loved her even when he didn't have a soul. Also, Whedon openly admitted that Spike is the character who is / was most developed in this series and you feel that. In the end, many of us just enjoyed his journey the most. That's why I wanted a happy ending for him.

However, Buffy and Angel just always felt like they BELONG together. I still don't like that pairing, cause it's boring as f*ck, sorry, language.

(Anyways, for the few that might follow the comics... I still have the feeling the writers want Spike and Buffy to end up together.)
Flag
Being dead did put a crimp in Buffy's psyche. Angel's great love was long gone by time and distance. Spike stayed. Put her back together. Got a soul for her.

I won't let my daughter watch the show because i always felt like the Angel/Buffy sitch was closer to pedophilia. Angels human age at turning was what, 28/Buffy was underage, (Shiver) At least she was legal when she was with Spike.

Even the creator of Buffy went with Spike. Figure he should know. Right? The votes say Spike. So, I don't got no question, Spike.
Flag
Mom didn't let me watch , same reason. Yeah for the Mum's of the world. She was right. Don't tell her I said that. I was such a pain. Grown now. Did a Buffy marathon New Year's 2011 with my then new boyfriend. He's still here but not so much new now. He got me into all kinds of new shows and I am now certified geek girl. Anyway, we watched Buffy straight through and then Angel. I enjoyed Buffy way more.

Riley and Pike are really not contestants. Angel came across as self-absorbed and depressing. They might have started out together, but they grew apart. Him being in the final of Buffy felt like an ad for Angel more than a reaffirmation of love. Like they were totally out of synch.

Mainly, I take Buffy at her word. She spoke so few. Girl of action there. She said Spike and I don't doubt her.
Flag
Buffy was messed up when she was with Spike, it was never really meant to be and Angel was always at the back of her mind. The Buffy / Angel relationship was the heart and soul of the show. Spike was a humorous distraction that Buffy was never really invested in. Angel was best for her because that's who she truly loved.
Flag
Staff
I agree!
Flag
Samples and language provided by the author are not a fair representative of all parties listed. While the footage for Angel is full of lengthy couple segments and romantic angst set to a sweeping, emotional music score. Spike's material shows him mostly alone, is cut so fast the images can barely be registered, and uses music that is blaring and aggravatingly executed, leaving the listener nervous and even Spike gagging. Although there is material available, poor Pike and Riley didn't even get a video segment.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say, the author is clearly in Angel's camp and has done her best to stack the deck in that direction.. Now that's okay, if she were expressing her personal opinion. Not so much, if she is asking for mine. Perhaps, she should have authored an “I Love Angel” newsletter instead. Why ask readers to vote and then try to control the outcome? Dirty pool there.

Unsurprisingly, even with the stacked deck, and the purposeful omission of their first sexual relations that brought down the house, Spike still managed to come out far ahead of the author's odds on favorite.

To the author, in the future could you please try to treat all parties equally. It is so depressing to want an honest answer and come across material like this.

More+
Flag
Staff
This is just my opinion! Please do feel free to write your own stories and share your opinions! I'm sure we'd all love to read your posts, as well!
Flag
Jess, if I want input from readers, I give a non-slanted view of the subject. If i give an opinion, I don't poll people. If I do both, I give the non-slanted view, post the poll, and provide a link where my own personal thoughts can be read separately. Fairest way, 'init. F.Y.I. what you have here is an article. If you want to tell a story, I'd love to read it. Just give me a link.
Flag
Staff
The communities are a place for users to share their opinions and thoughts. Hope to see your own story posts up here!
Flag
SPIKE ALL THE WAY! No one fought for Buffy like Spike did. No one stood by her side through everything like Spike. No one fought harder to keep his 'promise to a lady' like Spike. No one loved her like Spike, and, in the end, she finally realized that ... but of course, being a Joss Wheadon show, then it was too late. They were made for each other.
Flag
Angel was her first love. Nobody ever forgets his/her first love, right? They never really broke up, just decided that they can't be together in the moment.
Riley was just annoying. Then Buffy grew up and in my opinion there was something like love between Buffy and Spike in season 6 and definitly in season 7. Nobody fought for her like Spike. And the the most important thing: He is way more enjoyable as a character than Angel.
So for me it's Spike!
Flag
Staff
Spike is definitely a really enjoyable character :)
Flag
Oh boy the eternal dylemma, am I right? But I was 11 years old when I got adiccted to Buffy and by that time my life revolved around Buffy & Angel relationship, so I have to say that for, there's only one guy for Buffy, and that guy is the original broody vamp, Angel. Because for me, inspite she being at high school, he being a 243 years old vamp and all the limitations their relationship had, they tried really hard to be a normal, functional couple. It didn't work, but even years after their break up, their feelings remain the same. Look at the way Buffy looks at Angel in the series finale and tell me she doesn't love him. Also because "I loved him more than I will ever love anything in this life"

I have always been a Spike fan, because he's awesome, and I really enjoyed season 5 when he had to struggle with his feelings for Buffy, but when in S6 they had that weird, unhealthy "relationship" (and I use relationship because I can think of another word right now) I kind of lost interest in that storyline. I didn't hate it or anything like that, I just didn't care, mainly because I knew Buffy was confussed and depressed. In S7 I hate what they did to Spike so I couldn't enjoy that part of their relationship neither.

Riley was the worst, he was the best choice maybe, but his insecuries made him totally unworthy of Buffy.

And Pike, well, I don't know, he was cute in the movie, right?
More+
Flag
S6 unhealthy "relationship" was complete manifested by Buffy's Sybil tendency to push Spike away and then beat him up and demand he service her while torturing him mentally and emotionally. All due to her fears of how her friends and others would judge her, while being passionately and irresistibly drawn to him. But she couldn't keep her hands off him. She mixed all the signals, and the bathroom scene was a ratings plow, so out of character for both of them, that I didn't even see it as anything but a lazy attempt by the writers to generate tension. (Have to say though both JM and SMG were wonderful in the scene.)

For those who believe it was rape, well, rape is still about power. Buffy and Spike were pretty evenly matched. So either she raped him repeatedly that whole season and he tried to do the same, or due to mixed signals and inability to communicate honestly, she trained him to believe that it was okay. After all, if the "Chosen One" could do it, then of course, that made it okay for a vamp.

All in all, you are so right about the miscalculations of the writer's in S6 and even some of S7. Spike's my pick and even I had a hard time watching that debacle.
More +
Flag
Staff
Pike WAS cute in the movie, I agree!

But yes, I'm with you on Buffy & Angel. They're my favorite pairing, too. It's really hard to beat them.
Flag
The timeless feud between the fans Spike or Angel, who is the one?
Flag
I still maintain Mr. Pointy is the best choice! ;)

But if we're sticking with the requirement that the significant other has to have flesh, then I have to go with Angel.

Riley was just terrible. Yes, Buffy had her issues as well but who gives people ultimatums when they just got caught in a quasi-sexual position with a vampire. And who doesn't look back out of the freaking helicopter?????????????? What a dumbass (I've just been rewatching season 5 so my hatred is super high right now...)

Spike initially was a very unhealthy relationship but it fit with how Buffy was feeling at the time. Post-soul, it seemed like there was a deeper understanding and trust that built up but who's to say if Buffy was telling the truth or not at the end.

Now with Angel, yes, it wasn't the healthiest there either (no intimacy or someone goes evil not the best thing to happen) but we were set up to believe that these 2 were soulmates, and how can you really argue with that?
Flag
Setup to believe they were soulmates and them actually being soulmates, two different things. I had many different pseudo soulmates, until I met "the one." And "the one" kept shifting until I got enough experience to figure it out. Although, at the time, I would have sworn each one was IT! My soulmate at seventeen did not turn out to be my real, lifetime soulmate today (at 60). And can I just say, I am so happy about that. Part of growing older I guess. Different today than I was then.

I don't know about you, but I know about me. Lost my 25 year soulmate to cancer. So I know of what I speak.

but hey, it's a fun poll, right! I've read everything carefully, many deep points. Especially the passion question. For me, given what all I'm feeling right now, then I have to give it to Spike.

Flag
I thoughtn "Angel" got it right and The Immortal was the best choice.

Between Spike and Angel they already settle that one for me so I'll stick to their choice.
Flag

image found: HERE
Flag
I wish I could like this more than once!
Flag
Yes! Mr. Pointy! She would have been much better off with a toy than a boy toy.
Flag
Staff
Looking at her track record, I agree!
Flag
Staff
It's true! Soulmates is hard to argue with. I'm right there with you about Riley - he drove me insane the whole time!
Flag
Ah! Buffy the Vampire Slayer... My first love, the one it all started with....
Many, many, many shows followed, but it will always be my first!

Does make me feel old, though. My teen crushes are playing fathers now!!
Flag
I didn't even get a chance to have the teen crush on the men in this show, and I feel old watching and then trying to find them in new stuff coming out. Great cast, major talent, but seem to have been overlooked a lot. Wonder why that is? Anyway, me old to. Damn!
Flag
I've always thought the problem with Riley wan't Buffy's powers or independent nature, but the fact she treated him like second best. Either she started seeing him as "the one" or she had to make room for someone who did, which is what eventually happened (Riley's wife was even more independent than Buffy but never saw him as second best).

With Spike it was like Buffy and him both knew he was second best and they didn't even mind, they were well aware of their flaws and issues and embraced them as much as her powers, his soul or their respective natures. They were never going to be perfect, but because they were aware of it, it made them perfect for one another.
Flag
Spike, second best? And settling? Oh, and not caring? Please! But, in this you were right ionee24, they were perfect for one another. Spuffy was the more believable, down-to-earth, stay together to fight it out, long haul couple.

No abandonment issues could survive when Spike was involved. Buffy's idiosyncrasy's were chicken feed to a man who stayed with a nutter-butter Dru for over a hundred years. He wasn't going to desert his woman. Die saving her, yes. Abandon her, no.
Flag
Staff
Good call on that second best thing. You're totally right. And Spike didn't care - spot on!
Flag
I absolutely agree with your points about Riley. One of my favorite scenes in the whole series was one between Xander and Riley. I wish I could remember exactly which episode it's from, but for the life of me I never remember the context. They're folding Buffy's clothes, or packing maybe, and they're discussing Riley's relationship with her. Xander basically tries to subtly warn him that Buffy's interests are waning. And Riley knows. Completely. He has no illusions about her increasing romantic disinterest, and he loves her still. Whatever the reasons for the break-up, I really don't think it was Riley's insecurity. Buffy, if anyone, takes the blame on that one.

I'm going to have to go find that scene.
Flag
I did mention that I'm a Buffy fanatic so this shouldn't come as too much of a shock. Season 5 Episode 3 The Replacement.
Flag
That is amazing! Thanks.
Flag
About a year after the episode aired I found out that the Xander replacement wasn't a split screen but his twin brother Kelly Donovan. I thought it was some of the best special effects I had ever seen. I had no idea it was actually another Xander. That's why it stood out.
Flag
They were moving Xander out of the basement into his new apartment.
Flag
Staff
Good memory! I'm impressed.
Flag
Staff
I think his insecurity is partially why her interest in waning. He's not interesting enough, sure. But more than that I think he turns her off a bit by being kind of needy and clingy. And he is weirded out by her past and her powers.
Flag
Staff
Spike. The end.

Flag
Staff
I raise you...Spike AND Angel.

Flag
Sorry but Spike was never Buffy's boyfriend. And Angel was the best boyfriend imo. But Reily was probably better for her lol
Flag
Hum, I want to disagree with the Spike comment, but then, I am not sure what definition you are using for the term "boyfriend". Reily was way too insecure. He could never have been better for her.

Angel lost all my respect when Buffy's mother died and he had all those resources and did nothing to help. DoubleMeat Palace anyone? Oh, and when Buffy died, it was Spike who stayed and toughed it out. Angel was too busy trying to win that prophesy prize, charging for services and running an evil empire to do a little thing like keeping track of Buffy's loved ones or to send a little love their way. These two instances alone move him out of contention in my book.
Flag
That's not true at all. Angel came to visit Buffy when her mother died - what resources? This was during Angel season 2, he had no resources! Spike and Buffy had sex - does that constitute a relationship? Well, no. They had feelings for each other but nothing came of it. Buffy moved on straight away, even though she knew Spike came back from the dead after the end of S7.
Flag
Whoopsie! Thank you for pointing out the time line error. However, the rest of your reply is simply not true at all.

First, let's get the definitions out of the way.
Boyfriend means a frequent or favorite male companion. A male friend. A male lover. Relationship means dependence, alliance, a sexual involvement; affair, an emotional or other connection between people.

While one might stumble on the words lover and friend, that pesky dictionary can clear up any confusion. At one point or another, Spike filled each of those roles. So, yeah, Spike was Buffy's boyfriend, lover, ally, paramour, companion,
confidant, punching bag, and friend. They were in a relationship.

Other than an overnight visit, Angel did not offer any support to Buffy when Joyce died. Even though he was only two hours away and Buffy was in desperate need.

Angel also d
ropped the ball when he didn't do ongoing checks to make sure Dawn was provided for or to find out how she was coping after Buffy died.

Then when
Buffy gets saddled with the potentials, and is in desperate need of medical supplies, food, clothing, and any number of other items, Angel didn't send in a relief wagon. And he certainly had the full resources of Wolfram and Hart's at his disposal then. So, I stand by my prior comments.

It is hoped that those who drudge up the rape attempt will contrast it against Angel's murder of Jenny. Both actions were
taken by unsouled vampires. Even in a court of law, murder is worse than a mixed signal rape attempt.

Canonical direction changed in season four and the story arch was altered to end with Buffy and Spike together.

Canonically speaking, Buffy did not know that Spike survived until the book “Queen of the Slayers” was released in 2005, well past the last episode of Angel.

In the comics, also canonical, it is revealed that it was a decoy Buffy with the Immortal when Angel and Spike went to Italy (i.e. not the "real" Buffy.) It was Andrew's job to sell the decoy. Therefore, the only really, real Buffy was really, really off fighting evil on a host of fronts and was somewhere else. So the only Buffy who “moved on” was the decoy Buffy. And she doesn't count.

The show's writers and Joss agree that Buffy meant it when she told Spike she loved him and that Spike was on his own path of redemption.

So it is not true that Buffy
knew of Spike's return and she did not move on after season seven. There was no moving on from Spike to be had by Buffy for some time. She turned to her slaying to remember and to forget.

More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Flag
Flag
Staff
True, but they were together for long enough that I'm counting it for the purposes of the list. Longer than any others in the series.
Flag
What about Scott Hope?
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I considered adding him but then I decided to focus on the main ones rather than ALL of them.
Flag
He may have been only a 3 episode boyfriend but his real name is Fabrizio Filippo. Come on. How cool is that name?
Flag
Keaton is key!
Flag
I think the relationship between Spike and Buffy was great. They moved it slow enough and made it feel natural. But we as the audience clearly knew that it was a bad one, and we could see even Buffy knowing it. That's why when it ended it was perfect. All in all, the relationship was handled very well I think.

The perfect Buffy/Spike situation is when Spike loves Buffy, she knows but they're still apart and both know that it will never be.
Flag
Staff
Yes, I think despite their lack of chemistry earlier on in the series, the writers really did do a good job making it fit. I remember rolling my eyes when it happened, but then their relationship had some really great moments.
Flag
"Lack of Chemistry" Are you sure you were watching what the rest of us were? Seriously, I'm not meaning to sound harsh but from the moment Mr. Marsters walked on the screen they popped and sizzled like no other! James was only meant to be on the show for a few episodes but the chemistry between them was so good (and that is according to Joss himself!) that they ended up keeping him! James was incredible in that role and the tension between him and Sarah was well done indeed! James has my vote, hands down, fangs out...
Flag
Staff
Chemistry as actors and rivals, sure. Chemistry as lovers? I don't think so.
Flag
Staff
@conraddalton39 - Definitely agree to disagree on this one! :)
Flag
I forgive the lack of chemistry statement. You are but young! Their chemistry was explosive and visceral. Between puppy love and raw sexuality, no contest, I'll take the sex as an indication of passion and chemistry any day.
Flag
Flag
You really were not watching the same show I was.
I have never EVER seen such incredible SEXUAL chemistry between two characters in my entire life.
Angel was sort of sweet in a puppy love kind of way, but Spike and Buffy melted my TV.
Flag
dont ever compair buffy the movie to the series
its a joke haha the movie
but hey thanks to that we have a fantastic world that ist dead just yet

Flag
I actually enjoyed the movie. It had a totally different vibe. And, I loved Pike. Besides the fact that Pike is Spike with an S, Pike was argumentative, opinionated, fun, and resourceful. Buffy's first onscreen pairing was more platonic and friendly. Pike was Spike, if Spike's demon were human. Too young to be the long haul guy, but oh, my, Pike was enduring and cute! No depth of emotion in the pairing, but teenage fun. Give him a few more years and they would have grown into a great couple. But, alas, it was not to be.
Flag
Staff
I'm not comparing, just including Pike in the canon. I know that he comes back in some of the later post-TV show works, too. I actually LIKE the movie, though! It got me into Buffy way back before the show existed!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Hunted Poking the Bear
    NEW
    CBS
  •  
    Blindspot Draw O Caesar, Erase a Coward
    NEW
    NBC
  •