The WB (ended 2003)
As @Jessicakroeber recently posted an article featuring a top 10 episodes I've been jonesing to make one of my own! So before I start I want to mention that most of these episodes are here for sentimental purposes and are all based on what I think. Secondly, I will not include "Once More, With Feeling" or "The Body" since they are both loved by everyone and would not allow me to show off some other episodes I love as well. Now I've spent enough time on OMWF's karaoke to know that episode can dominate a top 10 and I know that the emotional "The Body" is indescribable so I'm not even going to try!

Let's initiate the top 10!

10. Grave (Season 6, Episode 22)

Oh Xander, how I love thee. His speech sent my manliness down the drain.. I hate to admit it but it was a stroke of genius not to have Buffy kick Willow's ass back to senses but rather use the life long friendship of Xander and Willow to create what I call "the crayon scene". This episode represented so many things to me but mainly the dark abyss that you can succumb to if you're not careful and Joss took one of the most innocent characters and flipped the table on us (like usual, am I right?!)

9. Lies My Parents Told Me (Season 7, Episode 17)

Best episode of Season 7, IMO. Very close with "Chosen" and "Showtime" though. This episode gave us more insight into what makes Spike... well Spike! He was momma's boy once and we get to see what internal struggles arise when these memories of her are used against him. Not only those but also the physical ones that he faces when Robin decides this is as good a time as any to exact his revenge. Just loved it and I could watch it over and over again!

8. Doppelgangland (Season 3, Episode 16)

This is just one hilarious episode that gave us some more bad-assery from "The Wish". Vampire Willow is just so fiendish and then comes innocent Willow and steals the show. My oh my, was this a fun one. From the waving to Oz in the Bronze, to Willow getting stuck in the blonde girl hair whilst combing it, you can't help but to laugh at her great acting. Oh, and poor evil Willow for the ending. You'd think that the world that didn't suck would suck less...

Well put evilicious Will, well put indeed.

7. Becoming, Part 2 (Season 2, Episode 22)

This episode was one of the many reasons Buffy was great! Joss Whedon knows how to slap your face in with all the things he do, and he continues until you beg him never to stop (we all know it's true). This episode is one of the reasons I think Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be great as soon as Joss get's far enough to start messing around, really mess around that is. The ending was marvelous, the fight scenes were great, Spike was hilarious like usual and everything was just perfect.

*SPOILER ALERT*

6. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (Season 2, Episode 16)

Now, I'm a huge Xander fan. Everything Xander-y is my jam! This episode was mainly a filler apart from showing Xander's desperation and Angelus disgust and surprise in Drusilla's choice of men, but it was so charming. I mean Buffy became a rat for crying out loud! Oh, and Oz punched Xander in the face for rejecting his girlfriend (he didn't know that but I think he'd hug Xander if he did). Cordelia, you should've let the relationship not fix itself.

5. The Gift (Season 5, Episode 22)

The one episode that manages to send me into tears each and every time I watch it. I'm a grown man but that seems to not be a factor when I'm in a fetal position as Buffy gives her speech. Not only this but this episode features a kick ass Buffybot, a loving Spike and a cold-hearted Giles (is that even possible!?!?) Gosh, was this a great finalé.. If not the greatest!

4. Fool For Love (Season 5, Episode 7)

This episode answered the question we've all been asking since "School Hard"; How did Spike kill two slayers? Well, we get some backstory on William the Bloody AKA Spike and we see what a pouf he used to be. Then we also get some insight into just how come he turns out to be the baddest of them all. The slayer scenes were amazing and the overlapping between present and past was excellent. The way that Buffy rejected Spike was just amplified by the ending and it was an overall excellent episode that I can watch a hundred bloody times over!

3. The Zeppo (Season 3, Episode 13)

Didn't expect this one did yah? Nope, didn't think so. This is by far one of my favorite Xander episodes and I just find this one so pivotal to his character. He saves the world without even telling anyone, no one but the audience (how is that not heroic). Cordelia walks around pestering him and oh was that ending satisfying when she can't figure out why her words aren't hurting him :') Yeah I love this episode so darn much.

Don't ever stop talking Xander... NEVER!

2. Hush (Season 4, Episode 10)

I would expect myself to put this one as no. 1 but not this time.. Nope, this time it's number two! Easily the most eerie and creepy episode of Buffy, it is also easily one of the greatest. How can Joss Whedon make a masterpiece of a episode without the characters even being able to speak. I mean before this I was convinced that the only thing he had rooting for him (apart from character development and plot twists) was his dialogs. He really changed my mind there and enlightened me! Joss, I love you for this and many other things. The Gentlemen are still haunting me as they are some of the freakiest creatures I never wish to ever ever ever see outside my window. Seriously that jump-scare worked so well because it was so perfectly executed!

1. Passion (Season 2, Episode 17)

This episode in my book was the first time I said.. Who made this show? Who is the genius behind all this? Angelus is just so perfect in this episode and the monologs sum up everything perfectly. Jenny Calendar's death was so perfect and inevitable but it's what happens after that gives it the impact it had. Angelus does what he does best and makes Giles suffer and gave us the extraordinary telephone scene in Buffy house where Willow bursts into tears and Buffy as well whilst Angelus indulges at the sight of the reactions. This episode is what solidifies everyones opinions on Angel and it's just great to see how he earned the hatred of everyone with simply one act (you'd think killing Willow's fish would be enough right?). So yeah, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Peace out Buffy lovers.

I'll be doing one of these on Angel as well in the near future!

58 Comments
Comments (58)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've only seen up until The Zeppo by now, but so far that's my favorite episode EVER. Just because it's so entirely different from what you'd expect to see in a the-world-is-ending-episode. Felt almost like a total satire to Buffy, Angel, Giles, Willow, and the whole slaying stuff. Such a smart episode.
Flag
YES! I agree to 100%
Flag
1. Once More With Feeling
2. The Body
3. Restless
4. Hush
5. The Gift
6. The Wish
7. Doppelgangland
8. The Zeppo
9. Normal Agian

Flag
1-Restless (season 4)
2-Hush (season 4)
3-The body (season 5)
4- Once more with feeling (season 6)
5-Nightmares (saison 1)
6- Who are you (season 4)
7- Band candy (season 3)
8- Wrecked (season 6)
9- Lies My Parents Told Me (season 7)
10- Passion (season 2)
Flag
This list isn't bad, I only REALLY disagree with 1 & 10. And I can feel your argument for Grave (# 10) but the only thing that makes Passion (# 1) a noteworthy episode is the death of Jenny Calendar, aside from that it's a throwaway ep.

You missed out here in showcasing two really impressive episodes. The first being THE BODY - now if you've never experienced a death in your family perhaps you cannot connect with this episode but I've had several of my close family and friends die. As a result when I see death handled with such truth, which I rarely do on television, it is very impressive. This episode was not only emotionally raw with depth not often seen on television but I dare say it was a piece of art. It deserves a #1 spot on most any Buffy List.

The Second being the sing-a-long episode, ONCE MORE WITH FEELING - which also has a strong story-arc moment in it (like Passion did), namely the confession that Buffy wasn't in Hell, while also being ridiculously entertaining.
Flag
Nice list! :) Here's my top 25. (Sorry! I couldn't limit myself to just 10!)

1. Earshot (S3) - Nowhere is the mission statement more clearly on display than in this episode. This show was started as high school catharsis, and this is the episode where that catharsis happens. It's brilliant.

Also, the lineup of characters in this episode is classic/"vintage" Buffy.

2. Once More with Feeling (S6)

3. Hush (S4)

4. The Body (S5) - The above three episodes are the most artistic episodes ever done on the show.

5. The Gift (S5)

6. Becoming, Part 2 (S2)

7. Innocence (S2)

8. Passion (S2) - Those episodes probably need no explanation.

9. Halloween (S2) - Another episode where the high-school-horror metaphor works flawlessly.

10. Amends (S3)

11. Grave (S6)

12. Lovers Walk (S3)

13. The Zeppo (S3)

14. Something Blue (S4)

15. Tabula Rasa (S6)

16. Fool for Love (S5)

17. Puppet Show (S1) - The twist about Sid's real story is one of the cleverest stories that the series ever pulled off.

18. Superstar (S4)

19. Fear Itself (S4)

20. Graduation Day, Parts 1 and 2 (S3)

21. This Year's Girl/Who are You (S4)

22. Dopplegangland (S3)

23. The Wish (S3)

24. Helpless (S3) - "If I was at full slayer strength, I'd be punning right now."

25. Storyteller (S7)

Ack! I wish I could go on, but I've probably gone on too long already. :)

More+
Flag
WOW! Very well thought-out and comprehensive list, though why Graduation Day Parts 1 & 2 but only Becoming Part 2?

Also I have to admit Lies My Parents Told Me was one of my favorites of Season 7, though Amdrew's Slayer of the Vampyres story was rather entertaining!
Flag
Simply because I thought Graduation Day Parts 1 & 2 where equally great and Becoming Part 2 substantially better than 1. Thanks, took a while to gather myself and make the post!

I thought so as well but doing a top 10 of any show you love is really quite the challenge!
Flag
I wish I felt like I could limit myself to 25 as well, guess I picked the über challenge!
Flag

Ahh! 'Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered' was a fantastic episode. I'm definitely a fan of the Xander episodes too; you're not on your own there!
=)

Flag
Glad to hear it!
Flag
can sombode tell me,why are the pictures so clear on the internet just like the screenshots,but when i watch the dvd its so bad you can compair it to a youtube video on loest setting
Flag
My DVD's are fine, actually better than fine though the graphics from season 1 of course differ from those of 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
Flag
Uhhh your post make me fall in the Buffyworld again.. I've started a rewatch with my husband from season 4.
I'm not into Xander, so my list is more focused on Giles (I love the complexity about his charachter, his relation with buffy) and everything about Spike. Not in order:

- bad candy (Joyce and Giles!)
- tabula rasa (i love when the Scooby Gang are under a spell!)
- something blue (the first time B&S and it's hysterical)
- fool for love (Spike's past really intriguing!)
- the dark age (in which we meet the Ripper)
- hush (reallyyy creepyyy!)
- crush
- intervention
- smashed
- touched

Flag
Love Giles myself, it's just that Xander is the comic relief but he's so much more and after having watched Buffy as many times equivalent to the amount of seasons, I've come to appreciate Xander that much more!
Flag
Hy there :) I give Xander to be more than a comic relief... it's just I love more the other charachters :P
I found it really sad in a poetic way when they hurt his eye... h'es the one never in a front row but always understanding of each other's dynamics... he see and it's been punished for it. Really Joss at it's finest.
Flag
Passion is my #1 as well. It was the episode that completely raised the stakes. A show that willingly killed a main character and then used the body to set up such an elaborate ruse? It was so dark and crazy and I love it.

I'm not huge on the Xander-centric episodes. "The Zeppo" is still hard for me to sit through all the way, but that's the great thing about these lists. There are the few that everyone can pretty much agree on (which you mentioned) but a lot of what will make up the rest of our lists relates back to which characters we relate to or episodes that we can tie to things that were going on at certain points in our lives. It makes things much more interesting in my book.
Flag
I started watching "Buffy with the very first episode, when it first aired, so I'm an ORIGINAL fan. Here are my Top 10. I'm eliminating "OMwF", "The Body" AND "Hush" because they're all so obvious. I'm also eliminating the entire season 7 because, other than the final episode, the entire season reeked.

10. Band Candy (Wild & funny...and Joyce & Giles!)
9. Smashed (Amy & Willow out & wild, and Buffy & Spike!)
8. Witch (I loved Buffy as a goofy cheerleader..."YMCA!")
7. Restless (My husband doesn't dream, and this episode was the best way to show him exactly what dreams are like.)
6. Beer Bad (This one just never fails to crack me up!)
5. Normal Again (Buffy's "Goodbye" never fails to simply kill me.)
4. The Gift (Not much more can be said about this episode.)
3. Villains/2 To Go/Grave (First, Tara is my least favorite character. Second, the crayon speech. After that, it's all just wonderfulness.)
2. Passion (Simply heartbreaking.)
1. Tabula Rasa (Easily my 4th favorite episode, after the Big Three eliminated ones. It just shows how everyone is true to themselves regardless of circumstantial evidence. Plus, you gotta love some of those perceptions! "Randy Giles", Giles with Anya, etc.)
More+
Flag
All I can ever think about during Witch is 1. godawful mother that witch is 2. Macho Macho man, I wanna be... a Macho man
Flag
It's been ages since I've seen it...thanks for the reminder of which Village People song it was! Of COURSE I meant "Macho, macho man!!!".
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Like you said some episode like Once more with feeling or The Body and Hush can't be had in this Top 10 because IMO it's like answered this question : who I love the most my mom or my dad. But when I see you Top 10, I can see now
why BVTS is a Classic no a Masterpiece it's because every single episode can be in a Top 10.
Flag
I like your list a lot, it left out some for me that helped shape experiences that I had while watching the show (first love, first loss, becoming an adult, etc). I watch the show all the way through about once a year and I find every time I watch it I relate to something differently and come away with a different perspective/voice. Makes me think of my top 10, which is definately a hard list to make...
Flag
If i am going to Rank my Fav episodes it is gonna be as follows

1. Innocence
2. Becoming II
3. Graduation I
4. The Gift
5. The Body
6. Chosen
7. Once More , WIth Feeling
8. Spiral (Really Underrated )
9. Restless
10. Consequences / Passion

I wish SHIELD can be this great one day

Flag
The only episode i really liked that i remember was the one where buffy is like stuck between reality and well hallucinations. Her parents are alive and she's in a sanitarium. She can't decide what's real. I dont remember which season which episode thou.

I can't remember all those episode mentioned above but I know I was less interested in Buffy after season 6 after they brought her back. It was going ok until this happened at the end of 3rd episode :

Oh yeah, then I was sure there's a special place in hell for Willow.
Flag
IMHO there are so many fantastic episodes in Buffy over the 7 seasons I don't think a definitive 10 ten can be done... Heresy here even if Joss Whedon gave us all what he liked... If you like/love Buffy there is a story and episode for all tastes... Though Hush is one of my choices. Seriously chilling as in the Exorcist (I mean feel!). Adam is another episode! You've got to get cyborgs! Praise to the Whedonverse! (maybe a misspelling here... sorry).
Flag
Sorry thumbs up was to you Haloprogam not myself! DOH! I would argument the same for Angel as well. Joss Whedon is simply a great story teller with real story arcs and (I think) very real emotional and moral decisions to be made whether right or wrong! Believable or not... Whatever the consequences...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So happy to see "The Zeppo" on the list. It is definitely in my top and is often overlooked. It was my number one for a long time and I guess still is my favorite episode.
For the most parts our likes mesh (being heavy on Xander and Spike) and I liked that a number of certain eps that often make the list didn't (though a few did).

For some reason "Dead Things" (6.13) never makes anyone's list but my own and to me that is the best episode. Not to mention I'm one of the few who think Season 6 was the best season.
Flag
I stated it on the other list but after watching it again, I still think 'Triangle' from season 5 is one of the funniest episodes they ever did. Everyone was in fine form in the entire cast and it was so good. I mean, come on, it opens with Buffy in the convent considering becoming a nun after Riley split. She comes back and tells the Scoobies that the nun let her try on her wimple and I lost it. Joyce got out of the hospital! A supernatural that just wants to drink and eat babies throughout the entire episode. One of the greatest destructions of The Bronze. Yeah still one of my favs.

('Triangle', Season 5, Episode 11)
Flag
IMHO, some major episodes are missing in this Top 10, such as (not necessary in order):
The Body (Season 5, Ep 16)
Villains/Two to Go/Grave (Season 6, Ep 20/21/22)
Conversations with Dead People (Season 7, Ep 7)
Tabula Rasa (Season 7, Ep 8)
Flag
explained the body already, and grave is on there. Tabula Rasa is definitely an honorable mention but not in my Top 10
Flag
Not in roder:

1) Innocence
2) Onces More With Feeling
2) Graduation Day Part 2
3) The Girft
4) The Body
5) Villains
6) Normal Again
7) Tabula Rasa
8) Hush
9) Chosen
10) Bargaining Part 1
Flag
My Top 10:
1) Tabula Rasa
2) The Body
3) Hush
4) Becoming Part 1 and 2
5) Doppelgangland
6) Grave
7) The Wish
8) Innocence
9) Passion
10) Chosen
Flag
Good list, a little too Xander heavy for my taste but still.
Flag
Top 10:

1. Once More, with Feeling (season 6, episode 7)
2. Hush (season 4, episode 10)
3. The Gift (Season 5 finale)
4. Becoming Part 2 (season 2 finale)
5. Chosen (Serie finale)
6. Passion (season 2, episode 17)
7. Innocence (season 2, episode 14)
8. The Wish/The Doppelgangland (season 3, episode 9 & 16)
9. Tabula Rasa (season 6, episode 8)
10. Graduation Part 2 (Season 3 Finale)
Flag

What about Prophecy Girl? When Buffy gives her "I'm sixteen years old" speech, its so good!! In a heartbreaking way.
Flag
yeah I know, it was so close to making it onto the list but season 1 overall was a bit of a bust and with soooo many good episodes it was really hard to pick only 10 out!
Flag
I'm so happy that Passion is number one. Everyone goes on about Hush and how great it was, but nothing gets me in the gut the way GIles collapses at the end. Just thinking about it makes me well up. Its powerful television.
Flag
Selfless was a pretty good episode. Anya got to show off her badass vengeance demon self, and we got to see D'Hoffryn, which is always good.
Flag
I was wondering where The Body and Once More With Feeling were until I read the first paragraph. Those two are my favorites but if were elminating those episodes this list is pretty solid. I would of maybe put Chosen in because it was such an awesome series finale and also Nightmares from season 1 don't know why but that's the first Buffy episode that got me hooked on the show.
Flag
I mentioned Chosen as I discussed Lies My Parents Told Me and Nightmares IMO wasn't that good of an episode, if anything from season 1 I'd have to go with Angel or Prophecy Girl!
Flag
Yeah totally forgot about Angel in season 1. I actually enjoyed season 1, but I also enjoyed Beer Bad from season 4, which I haven't heard one person liking, so what do I know. lol
Flag
As I scrolled down I was worried you weren't going to include "Hush". Utterly terrifying and brilliant.

Good list all round, I sincerely hope you haven't reawakened my desire to watch Buffy again, the rest of my life suffers for it.
Flag
On your other episodes, unlike you, I'm not a huge fan of Xander, and I find 'The Zeppo' to be one of the more painful episodes of the series to watch because of it (I would have much preferred to watch the over-dramatic apocalypse the rest of the Scooby Gang were fighting).

I've always had problems with 'Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered', not because of Xander, but for what's supposed to be a fun episode, it's surprisingly dark. I just found the juxtaposition between the humour and the scarier moments (I mean Cordelia is almost torn to pieces in the school hallway, and Joyce is ready to carve them up towards the end of the episode) far too jarring to enjoy.

I much prefer 'The Wish', which I'd put in my own top ten, over 'Dopplegangland'.

I'm a huge fan of Season 7 in general, and 'Lies My Parents Told Me' is no exception, although I think I enjoyed the episode more for the fact we found out Robin's motivations, and Giles' betrayal of Buffy is a defining one in their relationship, over all the Spike stuff (I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks).

I've grown to find 'The Gift' quite overrated. I used to love it, but re-watching again and again, the first half of the episode as the Scooby Gang prepare to fight just feels like it's spinning its wheels to me, but everything else is good.

'Grave' sort of suffered from the awesome episodes that proceeded it with Willow and Buffy's fight, Giles' return etc. although you're right, having Xander being the one to stop her was a very good choice of ending. Buffy and Dawn fighting dirt monsters in the grave wasn't the best, either.

I do however, totally agree with the additions of 'Becoming Parts 1 & 2' and 'Hush', as both would be in my top ten. I sort of resent 'Hush' because it's a stand-alone episode (which I hate) but it's just too good to deny. And as for 'Becoming Part 1 & 2', it was just awesome from beginning to end. I especially loved the Part 1 cliff-hanger with Angelus luring Buffy away from the library, Kendra's death, and Giles' kidnapping etc. Proved that the Jenny Calendar moment in 'Passion' wasn't a one off.

More+
Flag
You know I listed some of the reasons to why I included Doppelganger over The Wish (as it is one of my favorite episodes as well) and also some aspects of "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" that might set some people off but sadly the first time around I wrote this article I accidentally went back one page since I'm using a mac the touchpad sensitivity screwed me over and so this was actually a shorter version of the original article.
Flag
I feel exactly the same way about 'Passion'. I think I feel in love with Buffy several episodes earlier, perhaps with 'What's My Line Parts 1 & 2' (2.9 & 10) or 'Surprise & Innocence (2.13 & 2.14), where Angel first lost his soul, but 'Passion' made me fall in love with television and film in general.

I remember thinking while I was watching it for the first time that because Jenny was a main character (or main enough) that she couldn't possibly die, that normal storytelling conventions ensured that she would miraculously escape. How wrong I was. I was shocked when Angelus snapped her neck. And I absolutely loved the thrill of knowing that Buffy as a series was daring enough to break those conventions. So yeah, I've got a lot of love for this episode, I think it had a profound and defining effect on my tastes in reagrds to television and film.
Flag
I fell in love the moment I went into my living room one morning and a episode from season 5 was playing, I wondered why the movie I was watching was so short and found out it actually wasn't a movie so I decided I had to know everything there was about Buffy and so I bought season 1 to 3 and was hooked immediately!
Flag
Staff
Fantastic list! Great additions that didn't make it to my top 10 list!
Flag
Thanks! Yeah could've named so many more really, but limitation is a virtue I suppose!
Flag
Staff
Right? It really can be hard to just pick a few.
Flag
Staff
PS I totally just promoted this post to the homepage so look for it there ;)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members