The WB (ended 2003)
Lately I have Buffy on the brain. The other day I walked in on my friend dancing & giggling to the Angel theme song. So, hey, let’s all enjoy this Buffy streak! Want to know what the best episodes of everyone’s favorite Whedon show are? Well, let’s count them down.

Remember that these episodes were rated by TV.com users just like yourself! Want to know how to see those ratings? More on that later. First, we have a date with Mr. Pointy.

10. Chosen (Season 7, Episode 22)
The series finale! It’s only fitting that this one is on this list. I don’t even know where to begin recapping this episode. It was a fitting end to a wonderful series. Buffy has a family again, and they will survive.

9. Grave (Season 6, Episode 22)
Dark Willow is SCARY! Xander finally saves the day as he gives Willow his strength so that the dark magic can finally leave her body. Go Xander!

8. Graduation Day (Season 3, Episode 21 & 22)
Fabulous ending to an episode! The Mayor turns into a giant snake demon and the gang destroys the school in true Buffy fashion. How many schools can a girl destroy in her lifetime?

7. Innocence (Season 2, Episode 14)
This episode is pretty infamous. Buffy & Angel take their relationship to the next level and Angel turns into a soulless, blood sucking, demon again. Heartwrenching.

6. Passion (Season 2, Episode 17)
Oh no, not Ms. Calendar! But in all seriousness, the scene where Giles finds her dead body was incredibly emotional. Will Angelus ever get his soul back?

5. The Body (Season 5, Episode 16)
Yeah, this episode. I’m not surprised to find it on this list. Buffy’s mother may have been meddling at times, but she was a really big part of this show. This was a huge turning point for Buffy’s character, who now suddenly has to grow up pretty quickly. I’m getting emotional just thinking about this episode.

4. Becoming (Season 2, Episode 21 & 22)
Angel’s soul is restored! But Buffy kills him anyway. Oops. Also, Spike and Buffy form their first (of many!) alliance. Plot twist!

3. Once More, With Feeling (Season 6, Episode 7)
Ah yes, the musical episode! I thought it was a bit cheesy but this is definitely a fan favorite.

poll

2. The Gift (Season 5, Episode 22)
Buffy refuses to let her sister sacrifice herself and jumps into Glory’s portal instead. Seriously, how many times can a girl die? Death is her gift, after all.

1. Hush (Season 4, Episode 10)
Absolutely no surprise here. A whole episode without any dialogue? Brilliant. This is what great television looks like, folks.

So there you have it!

poll

Want to see what episodes were rated highest for other shows? Navigate to any episode guide and click to sort by RATINGS:

Share your findings with us!
84 Comments
Comments (97)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bad Girls.
Also This Year's Girl/Who Are You. I love anything with lots of Buffy and Faith's messed up relationship, but Bad Girls is an all time fave.
Flag

Ooh, I totally forgot about Superstar (the Jonathan episode) too.
Hilarious! =)

Flag
Oh yeah, I love that one!
Flag
Hush was one of the best episodes of any tv show ever devised.

The part where the Scooby Gang is in the classroom trying to figure out how to kill the Gentlemen and Buffy does her 'stake them' motion...without the stake...it was hilarious.
Flag
Conversations With Dead People really needs to be on this list. A lot of people underrate that one and whilst the final season was all over the place that one was fantastic.
Flag
I actually watched through Buffy again quite recently, must have topped the dozen mark by now, so maybe I make my own top 10 or perhaps one of Angel..
Flag
Do it!!!!!! We'd love to see your personal fav list!
Flag
done and done!
Flag

Tabula Rasa!
Flag
Innosence and Doppelgangerland were allway my favorites.
Flag
Hush and Once More with a Feeling are tied for top for me. I know OMWAF was cheesy, but i still loved it. Today this day I still find myself singing I've got a Theory. Hush was just remarkable television.
Flag
It was cheesy but I do also think they managed to pull it off. I mean, it screened at Comic Con for YEARS! Maybe it still does, I'm not sure. So people obviously loved it which means they did something right.
Flag
Really good list. They really are some of the best episodes Buffy has ever done. But I too think that Tabula Rasa should have been included. No argument form me about the Top 3. The rest are very good episodes, but not all of them favourites. "The Body" is just extremely depressing. It's a punch in the gut, every time. I just don't particularly like to subject myself to that, unless I'm doing a whole season re-watch. Doesn't mean it isn't one of the best things Joss Whedon has ever done.
Flag
Tabula Rosa was close to the top 10! It was after Doppelgangeland & The Wish.
Flag
Also two great episodes. They're on my personal top 10 - I love What If/AU scenarios
Flag
Oh nice homage to BTVS. The show that made me. (That and My So Called Life.)

The episodes I have watched the most and love the most my top 5 in no order though Hush is always number 1:

1. Hush (So clever. So perfect. So chilling. The Gentlemen I think are the most scariest demons we could imagine. I think as children we had those nightmares where we were screaming but no one could hear us and the monster juts kept coming. The ingenious of how would we continue if we couldn't talk? Well everyone found a way and even cashed in on it (big corporate machine!) The fear and frustration and break outs of violence that people had. Also, Buffy and Riley finally really met...and that ending ..."We should talk"...silence...so poignant juxtaposed with the whole episode. Perfect execution 10 outta 10)

2. Primeval (Amazing. So Matrix like. Loved the use of Magic and Adam was all like what? I cannot compute magic.... and they all worked together, just cemented their bond to each other for the rest of time.)

3. The Gift (I love how Whedon and team weave whats coming from so far in the previous seasons with the coming of Dawn and we didn't pick up on it. When Tara in Buffy dream state says "Be back before Dawn" and the dead girl also said something along those lines...then the season started and BAM. Dawn arrives, then the whole your "Gift is death" spirit walk which she misinterpreted....but it all about love and sacrifice. What would you do to save your loved one and the world. So powerful the lead up to this season and to this episode was. I didn't like the Glory story at all and skip most of those Glory/Ben scene and watch only Scooby gang, but ultimately it was more about the relationship between Buffy and her Scooby family.)

4. Anne (wonderful continuous opening shot. Wonderful strong story. Really powerful. Buffy realising who she truly is and no longer wants to run from it and instead owns it. She had to go home and deal with her lost love and the consequences of ditching her friends like that too.)

5. Showtime (pretty depressing before, this little show of hope. Loved the arena and Buffy back to strength. It was a long time coming.)

I also quite liked:
Earshot (hilarious, trying to read Angel's head. Finding out about Mom and Giles...lol)
End of Days/Chosen (pretty much 1 ep cut in 2 I thought. Spike at the end, the power, willow, the potentials :))
No Place Like Home (The key and the monk's story revealed so great. Buffy seeing the magic, almost killing her then realising her responsibility and accepting her in her heart.)
Bargaining Part 2 (Buffy coming back from the dead and seeing Buffy bot and beating those monsters.)
More+
Flag
Ooooh My So Called Life! Loved that show, too.
Flag
There are so many fantastic episodes that I just can't narrow it down, although I do think Tabula Rasa has a good shout at being included in the list.
Thanks for this article though, it's brought back some great memories. When I've finished re-watching The West Wing I think I know what's next on the list.
Flag
Tabula Rosa was close but surprisingly did not make the top 10!
Flag
Prophecy Girl
Anne
This Year's Girl/Who Are You
Showtime
Family

Would all be in my top ten instead of some of these.

Flag
I would not put Anne even close to mine, thought that episode was as tedious of a season starter as "When she was bad"
Flag
I like "Anne" because of the place it falls in the Hero's journey for Buffy and the way it sets up the season end.
Flag
I respect insight and opinions. It's always good to know what you like and why!
Flag
Damn. Great list. The best musical episode ever done on tv including 'Glee'. The way they made it such an important piece of the vastly underrated (IMHO)Sixth season was pure perfection. Emma Caufield and Amber Benson absolutely crushing their numbers, the men holding their own - Perhaps none as memorable as producer David Fury..."They got the mustard out." And the capper Hinton Battle just being Hinton Battle as 'Sweet'.

One missing is 'Normal Again', my love of Season 6 sorry, - it was one of Sarah Michelle's absolute best episodes.

I'll always have a soft spot for 'Triangle' from Season Five which I would elevate above where anyone else would put it. Anya and Willow arguing throughout about Xander leading to some very funny moments, Buffy's head all over the place, still reeling from Riley leaving (Another great moment, Buffy buries her head in Tara's shoulder as Tara is telling her that Anya and Willow's constant fighting is straining Anya and Xander's relationship and Buffy over-stating that Xander and Anya have a 'miraculous love') and the best part, the appearance of Anya's ex 'Olaf'. Xander and Spike at each other's throats. Dawn having no idea what was going on with anyone. It was a fun lighter episode and 'Olaf' was memorable.

More+
Flag
Not surprised that a good chunk of these are season finales. I always thought Buffy nailed the finales very well. One of my favorites is the opener to season 7, and that's pretty much for the villain cameos as the First Evil torments Spike.
Flag
I have noticed that patten having done an article like this for Lost and The Walking Dead before Buffy. A lot of season finales tend to make the list.
Flag
OMG! My favorite episodes of Buffy. I just don't agree with the ranking. The Body, Graduation and Innocence should it be higher. I don't know how many times I re-watched Buffy, but every once in a while I come back to The Body and Innocence.
And also, the Poem in Passion. It is such a sad episode with beautiful words comming from the person that causes that sadness.
Flag
No Tabula Rasa??
Flag
Surprisingly, it didn't make the cut! But it was only a few lower.
Flag
Buffy letting out a scream to defeat the Gentlemen in Hush... It gets me every time I think about it.
Flag
It sends a little shiver down my spine each time I watch it. Excellent.
Flag
One of favorite scenes in Hush is when they're 'talking' strategy with the slideshow. Buffy trying to mime staking makes me laugh each and every time.
Flag
Love how they always manage to get the comedy into a very grave situation. I think thats what makes the show so successful and lasting. In life, you have to see the funny side even when things get really bad.
Flag
Agreed!
Flag
You say that but I find some episodes to cheesy to bear these days. Season 1 mostly.
Flag
Oh yes, season 1 definitely had a different feel to the rest of the season before it found its footing and they took it places.
Flag
though i completely agree with every entry in this top 10, i would add:

-Conversations with dead people
-Lies my parents told me
-Storyteller
-Normal Again
-Dopplegangland
-The Wish
-Tabula Rasa
-Fool for love
-Checkpoint
-This year girl/who are you
-Restless
-Something Blue
-The Yoko factor
-Crush
-Intervention
-Helpless
-Selfless

(and the one in S2 with the halloween costumes that i can't find the name)

All of these i keep rewatching from time to time (specially in long hiautuses likes these freakin Olympics...)
Flag
Dopplegangland is very underrated IMO.
Flag
Yeah! I loved that Halloween episode!
Flag
the s2 one with the halloween costumes was called.. ... wait for it.. "Halloween". lol. but yeah This Year's Girl/Who Are You - wow i loved those - need to watch um again.
Flag
OMWF was the most incredible episode of Buffy ever - and I don't even like musicals! Every one of those on the list were damn great eps too though! A personal favorite of mine which peeps either seemed to love or hate was 4x22: Restless. A great stand-alone ep/coda to season 4.
Flag
um Tabula Rasa?
Flag
Right? Nope, it didn't make the list. But it was rated only slightly lower. It would have made the top 15.
Flag
The Gift. The most overrated episode in tv history. Filled with a suicidal slayer, bad dialog, and a plot that made no sense at all.
Flag
i don't know if i'd go that far - but yeah it's not my favorite either. tearjerker ending got everyone i think.
Flag
I loved this show. It was awesome. I loved most of the characters however Riley just annoyed me.
I wish there was something worthi while watching like this on TV today, at the same time I don't have the time to keep up with shows like I used to in my youth...
Flag
I'm not a RIley fan either. Bleh.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I loved Buffy, but I may be in the minority when I say I loved season 5-7 more so then the earlier seasons. I was never the biggest Buffy and Angel fan (I only really liked him when he was bad).

Anyway, here are my top 4 episodes:

- Normal Again
- Once More With Feeling
- Tabulsa Rasa
- Hush

I think the thing made buffy exceptional was it's supporting characters. I loved Oz, Faith, Anya and Spike. While all the mains were great, these characters just brought a whole new level of awesomeness to the show.
Flag
From the later seasons I really liked the ep Conversations With Dead People.
Flag
i would add the wish and put the musical episode on place two.

Flag
The Wish was close too. It was actually number 12! Almost.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I loved The Wish (also Dopplegangland)!
Flag
OMG i forgot doppelgangland! *shame*
it`s been too long! next time i`m sick i`ll be a good girl and rewatch buffy, i promise!
Flag
The episode "The Gift" is also the 100th episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. The first time I watched "Hush" I thought it was creepy.
Flag
I didn't know The Gift was the 100th episode. Thanks for sharing!
Flag
Here are mine, alphabetically, because who has ten hours to re-watch them all and decide:

Becoming Parts 1 & 2
Dirty Girls
Hush
Normal Again
Passion
Revelations
Storyteller
Surprise & Innocence
What's My Line Parts 1 & 2
The Wish
Flag
*Quickly skips to the bottom, confirms Hush is your number one choice, decides to read rest of article.*
Flag
Well to be fair, it wasn't MY ordered list. I based this list off of what TV.com users like best. It's based off the ratings that users gave these episodes. But I still think Hush would be my personal fav!
Flag
Worst top ten EVER,
Flag
What @DresserBoys said! We looked at what TV.com users rated as the best Buffy eps. Like some better? Let us know in the comments so we can have a discussion :)
Flag
The list is rated by TV.com's rate feature on the site. If you want an episode to crack the top 10 when then make your voice heard.
Flag
A) That's a wee bit of a hyperbole.
B) Why is it bad? What are your alternatives? If you wanna refute it, you need to provide context and an argument
Flag
Go play in traffic.
Flag
Hey hey hey guys, thanks for sticking up for my list but no need to be mean. Let's play nice! It's okay for people to show negative opinions too!
Flag
Innocence and the gift by far my favorite episodes. I also like the prom episode. Best season hands down was season 2.
Watching Angel and Buffy fall in love and then the gut wrenching psychological torture Angelus put her threw after they made love culminating in Buffy killing Angel just after his soul was restored. I haven't seen a full season of tv that compelling and complete since
Flag
This list makes me yearn for Buffy & Co. What an amazing run that show had! These characters actually evolved over time in a rational manner.
Flag
My favorite episodes:

"Earshot", "Graduation", "Body", "Once More with Feeling", "The Gift", "Seeing Red", "Normal Again", "Tabula Rasa", "Bargaining", "Flooded".

IMO the best season was season 6.
Flag
Those are all great, but Doppelgangland was one of the more creative episodes they ever did.
Flag
Yeah, Doppelgangland was next up. So close to making the top 10 list!
Flag
indeed
Flag
The Wish is one of my favorite episodes as far as pure thrills are concerned. Great "What-if?" episode. It and Doppelgangland make for fantastic companion pieces.
Flag
This was an okay list but it pandered a bit missing some great episodes for episodes that were important to the overall series like Chosen... Where's Lies My Parents Told Me, The Wish, Surprise/Innocence, What’s My Line, Halloween... pashaw!

Flag
I guess TV.com users didn't like those as much! Something I have noticed making these lists is that TV.com users tend to rate season finales and really emotional episodes higher than others.
Flag
I also notice that users tend to not rate shows on the over-all series quality... there are plenty of programs that really don't deserve the high ratings they have.
Flag
Halloween! the first ep i ever saw - good stuff!
Flag
Love that episode, too!
Flag
thank you
Flag
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all times favourite series!

My top 5 eps are, in any order are:

+ Hush
+ The Body
+ Once more, with feeling
+ Graduation Day
+ Band Candy (one of my favourite scripts by Jane Espenson )
Flag
Once More With Feeling was a good episode. It could have crutched on the gimmick but it actually had a lot of relevant dialog, and of course dealt with Buffy's confession about being ripped from Heaven. My personal favorite from the whole series is the season 2 finale. "Becoming" kicked off a resounding theme of Buffy having to deal with main characters who transitioned between being protagonists and antagonists. However I don't think her dealings with any other character was ever as heart wrenching as when she had to send Angel to hell.
Flag
My personal favorite is Fool for Love. Hush, The Body, and Once More With Feeling, while all excellent, were abnormal episodes. l hate to use the word gimmicky, but they kind of were. They were special. To me, Fool for Love is an episode that showcases the incredible, complex writing and careful character development in even the ordinary episodes. We learned about Spike's past, previous slayers, and Buffy herself. The dialog was fascinating and meaningful. The cinematography and choreography of the fights was beautiful. The way it cut back and forth between Spike's fight with the slayer on the subway and his mock fight with Buffy was pure art. And we learned the story behind Spike's coat. If I were to choose any episode to show a first time viewer, this would be the one that would get them hooked.

Okay, I'm done geeking out now.
Flag
Definitely gimmicky, but done well I think.
Flag
doppelgangland instead of Grave on my list tho
Flag
That one was actually next down, number 11!
Flag
I'm good :D my top 10 would be slightly different but that's mainly because I enjoy a lot of the unserious episodes as well and would feel bad not to include them!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members