Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Dirty Girls

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 15, 2003 on The WB

• "Dirty Girls" is an exciting and surprising episode, but is also one that is slowed by a focus on plot and unnecessarily long introductions.

Interspersed into the plot are some great character scenes, a dash of humor, and some shocking moments. Added all up it's a bit of a jumble, but it mostly works.

Nathan Fillion, of Firefly fame, enters the Buffyverse with some flair, but his introduction is not entirely successful. On one hand, we've got a nicely creepy and tangible villain. On the other, I think the episode would have benefited from seeing even less of Caleb than we did. All of those "sermon" scenes with the First only served to diminish his entrance. I would have preferred the "less is more" mantra while maintaining his 'performance' at the end of the episode. This would have given "Empty Places" some extra material to fill in some of the blanks around Caleb's personality and motivations.

A larger problem that Caleb represents is that he usurps the First! It's obviously not cool to have your main villain upstaged by a new guy who appears towards the end of the season. I see this mostly as a failure of the writers to capitalize on what they had started in "Conversations with Dead People" and "Sleeper". Although Caleb mostly works here, we quickly find out there's not much to him and that he's essentially just the First's brute. I feel a lot more could have been done here, with a much more pyschologically scary First Evil and the tangible Caleb as its current manifestation in this world. Had the First been used better before now and Caleb had deeper characterization and motives, this same setup could have been downright explosive. Instead we get something that's certainly still entertaining and compelling to watch, but not nearly as mythic and complex as the end of the series deserved.

Also suffering the introduction syndrome is Faith, who we are re-introduced to far too many times. From Willow's reminder of Buffy and Faith not being "study buddies" to the graveyard reunion with Buffy to Andrew's entire -- admittedly funny -- monologue about the 'dark It all reeks of overkill to me. Fortunately, Eliza Dushku seems up to the task of showing us a complex and newer version of Faith, and is obviously very comfortable in this role. The Faith we see now is much more mature, experienced, and in control of herself. Angel did a great job with her. By the way, to those of you who haven't seen Angel yet, I fully recommend all of the Faith episodes along with the show as a whole.

Although seeing Faith interact with everyone was fun, my favorite interaction was seeing her with Spike. Together they are hilarious and genuine, obviously having a ton in common at this point. Again, I love the continuity and the humor. When they first meet in the graveyard they have a fun exchange of words and punches. The meat of their similarities comes out during the sublime basement chat though. This is two complex, well-established characters having a realistic and wholly entertaining conversation where they find a level of connection in their respective histories. I think this scene might just be the highlight of the episode. This is effortless, awesome character work. Kudos to Drew Goddard on the writing side, and kudos to Dushku and Marsters for the seemingly effortless acting.

It's wonderful to see a follow-up to the huge events in "Lies My Parents Told Me", with Buffy re-iterating to Wood that she meant what she said to him before, but qualified it with a peace offering, also telling him she needs him on her side. Then he, amusingly, fires her! I can understand Buffy's apprehension about leading the girls into battle, but Wood's right: they need to be tested. It's just unfortunate that their first real test had to be against Caleb.

Although Buffy falls into Caleb's trap, I really appreciate that there's a good reason for it. Buffy's not just blindly going into the vinyard for shits and giggles, it's like what Wood said earlier in the episode: "maybe you should test Buffy hopes to use this opportunity to apply more force than Caleb expects thereby getting a solid win and that needed real-world experience the potentials don't yet have. With how much Buffy can take and with such strong allies behind her, I'm not the slightest bit surprised by her confidence. What happened, simply put, is that Buffy vastly underestimated Caleb and the force behind him. There was no real way for her to find that out, though, without some sort of encounter. Remember Buffy's speech back in "Bring on the Night", about taking the fight to the enemy? Well, this is her living up to her 'campaign The fact it didn't work out well doesn't mean it wasn't a good -- albeit risky -- move at the time.

With my defense of Buffy's position put aside, others in the group like Giles make excellent counterpoints. This message from Caleb, about having something of Buffy's, is clearly intended to be a trap and everyone knows it. While everyone is collaboratively formulating their attack strategy, Spike even wisely makes mention of the "bait and switch," of which Angelus used to devastating effect back in "Becoming Pt. 1". Buffy, remembering the past and using her allies' advice agrees to leave Willow behind to protect the ones who aren't part of the attack on Caleb. The one problem with this idea is that if I were Caleb, I'd be much more scared of Willow than Buffy at this point, despite Willow's apprehension about her power.

Although I sympathize with Buffy's plan, nobody else is really convinced by it, and that's something Buffy really needed to factor more heavily into her decision. Despite having a gutsy move that may, indeed, give them a big win, Buffy must put aside her own ego and ideas in lieu of disagreement from all of her closest advisers. I do like how Faith's the only other one totally digging the plan, which is true to character. Faith says, "Hey, I'm with you. Drop me in the hornet's nest, what the

All of the potentials are also incredibly nervous about this entire assault and some even express extreme doubt at Buffy's motivations. Xander, though, sets them all straight by briefing them on fight tactics and then going into a beautiful speech on his experiences and trust in Buffy that has been built over the last seven years: "I've been through more battles with Buffy than you all can ever imagine. She's stopped everything that's ever come up against her. She's laid down her life, literally, to protect the people around her. This girl has died two times, and she's still standing. You're scared? That's smart. You got questions? You should. But you doubt her motives, you think Buffy's all about the kill, then you take the little bus to battle. I've seen her heart, and this time not literally. And I'm telling you, right now, she cares more about your lives than you will ever know. You gotta trust her. She's earned

One of my favorite images of the entire series is in this episode, one which gives me a massive sense of perspective and satisfaction. This is the scene where Buffy leads the group to assault Caleb's lair. What we have here is this amazingly diverse group of people -- the damaged, the lonely, the scarred, the reformed, and the innocent -- working and fighting together under a common banner. It's a truly inspiring image that reminds me of how many awesome events I've witnessed in this show -- of all the character development it took to get us here. We have grown with all of these people, some for one yea, some for ~5 years, some for ~6 years, and some for the entire series. And now, through all those trials and struggles from various points in the series, they're all here... together. Just... amazing.

The vinyard fight itself is particularly brutal. Caleb shows what he's capable of and the resulting damage to the group is immeasurable. Not to diminish the pain Xander goes through here, but be thankful that Whedon didn't have his way and have Xander actually killed like originally planned. I was particularly impressed with how they showed off Caleb's power. He can just casually punch and kick people across the room. I also loved that we got shown a preview of how he can be beat, as at the end of the encounter Buffy uses her superior speed and agility to dodge the bulky Caleb and whack him across the room. We'll see an expansion of this strategy in "Touched".

Throughout the episode we got several hints as to Xander's awful fate. His fun opening dream involving lots of girls and a pillow fight is, in retrospect, very thematically relevant as it plays into Caleb's whole 'dirty girls' motif. He also makes a special point of noting to the potentials that "everything's got Whether Caleb intended it or not, damaging Xander so badly really does achieve an effect of completely demoralizing the entire group.

"Dirty Girls" is a very solid episode that does a lot right. It's got action, character development, drama, and some big shocks. Where it gets taken a down a notch is with its excessive introductions and unpolished feel. Its overall focus on plot doesn't do it any favors either, as the plot is pretty simple: Caleb comes to town and draws Buffy into a massacre. There's enough strong moments and great scenes, though, that most of the flaws can be accounted for but pushed aside for what's a pretty entertaining episode of Buffy.
  • FAITH! FAITH! FAITH!

DIRTY GIRLS

The Good;

Faith back in Sunnydale, what could be wrong?

The Bad;

What a shame this is the ep they get Nic Brendon to comment upon, with all the other great Xander centric eps he's been in. Again, Caleb doesn't finish them, he just lets them run?

Best line;

Xander; "Everything has eyes" (Oh dear)

Women good/men bad;

I don't think I've ever felt such visceral hatred for any villain as I do for woman-hating Caleb. I want to crush his skull in my bare hands. At least the nerds were funny and the Mayor charming and polite (for the most part).

Jeez!;

Caleb torturing Shannon, Molly and Colleen killed, Xander maimed.

Kinky dinky; (I may just have to extend this subject now Faith's back) Xander dreams of threesomes with nubile teenage potentials and the rest pillow-fighting in their skimpy underwear. Of course the reality of living in a house filled with teenage girls is not quite so sexy (to my shame I didn't get the leg-cramp gag first time around). Faith puts the moves on Spike. Scott Hope. Angel, Riley, flirting with Giles and now Spike, the girl just can't help it, she's always stealing Buffy's boyfriends. Faith talks of dressing up as a horny cheerleader (Bring it on?), naughty nurse and sexy schoolgirl for her past lovers. Mayor Wilkins? Wesley? She's also quite ok with the sight of Spike's chains "Each to their own". Her phrasing is quite ambiguous "I used to run with this guy who liked me to dress up as a schoolgirl then take this bullwhip...". Now does she mean she whipped him or he whipped her? Or maybe they took turns? To judge by her later comments about 'looking up the guy with the bullwhip', having had enough all female company for a while, having been the toughest girl in a woman's prison for the last 3 years it seems inevitable that she was the one being whipped. Remember we've seen her self-harming a couple of times and the naughty schoolgirl is invariably the one being punished in S&M scenarios (probably be the strict schoolmistress if she was doing the whipping?). "If you can't beat them..." Spike comments that the schoolgirl thing is old hat which may be a subtle dig at Britney Spears and the outfit Buffy wears to seduce RJ in Him. One popular fan theory is that Faith is referring to Spanky who Angel meets in the frist ep of Angel Season 5 and who likes to spank women and certainly has a bullwhip. If you like the idea of Eliza Dushku with a whip check out the Youtube clips from the Dollhouse ep 'Spy in the house of love'. Now if you'll excuse me I need to sit down. Faith seems pleasantly suprised that Buffy has had a wild affair with Spike, maybe not so stuffy after all?

Captain Subtext;

Obvious tension between Dawn and Faith, one wonders if Dawn always resented this rival for Buffy's affections or liked her only to feel betrayed when she went evil? Faith notes of Dawn 'Brat's all woman sized'. Note when Xander and Kennedy are hurt it's Xander Willow goes to rather than her girlfriend. Xander's fantasy has the girls being with each other as well as him and loads of sapphic sex-play between them. Faith says she's "had her fill" of all female relationships in prison. The choir girl The First poses as for Caleb to stab is very reminiscent of Darla in 'Inside out'. Buffy seems jealous that Faith has been inside Angel's mind which she wasn't able to do in Earshot. Andrew cries at Xander's speech. Spike still very anti-Angel, getting a soul didn't change that!

Guantanamo Bay;

So, is Buffy's plan rash or sound? Hard to say, she's right that they just can't sit around waiting and now that they have Faith it might be the time to go on the offensive.

Scoobies to the ER;

Xander and Rhona very badly hurt

Apocalypses; 7,

Anya;7

Dawn; 6

Spike; 3

Kennedy; 1

Kills: 1 vamp for Faith plus her kills from her appearances on Angel.

Buffy: 125 vamps, 62 demons, 6 monsters, 10 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demons, 2 humans/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Faith: 19 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Xander: 6 vamps, 2 zombies, 1 a demon, 2 humans

Xander: 4

Dawn;1

Spike; 1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 16, goodbye Molly. Also Colleen who was one of the girls from Xander's threesome fantasy.

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers, Chloe, Molly, Jonathon.

Sunnydale deaths; Molly and Colleen

Total number of scoobies: 35 or so, there now seem to be about 20 Potentials plus Faith. However no Anya whatsoever and no one even comments upon it. No Vi either.

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy, Vi, Rhona, Amanda, Chao-Anh, Wood, Andrew, Faith plus an indeterminate number of potentials.

Xander demon magnet: 6(7?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya, Lissa (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Tara; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: I think we can safely add Bullwhip guy to Faith's total?

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 3 possible, Dracula+RJ+Shadowmen's demon(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

What the fanficcers thought;

Plenty of fic elaborating on Faith's stories of dressing up as a naughty nurse, horny cheerleader and sexy schoolgirl who gets whipped. Spaith also a pretty popular pairing. Willow and Faith's drive to Sunnydale also common, normally featuring them both apologising to each other for their evil deeds then stopping off at a motel for a night of lesbian sex. Fillow?

Questions and observations;

Spike says he reformed long before Faith did, no he didn't! He didn't truly reform until season 6 whilst she turned herself in by season 4. Caleb says that the Bringers DON'T serve Satan meaning the First isn't the Devil. But is he kidding himself? Amazed they let them use the Star Trek refs although I'd always thought Faith's dagger looked very Klingon. You feel sorry for Buffy losing her job, she obviously loved having something normal in her life. People are fleeing Sunnydale, a clear sign that this is the end for the town. Why not just shoot Caleb? I would suspect that the Potentials would be far too young to remember Falcon Crest.

Nic Bredon lists his favourite eps as OMWF, Hushed, The Body and Restless, all firm fan favourites

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• "Looking for the Lord in the wrong damn places" - Caleb

So it turns out that the bringers have got a leader, one who blew up the Council and who exists in order for there to be a super-strong corporeal being for the Slayer to fight who just happens to be the ultimate Judeo-Christian misogynist who believes women are dirty wh*res. Enter Captain Caleb. One wonders why the FE didn't bring him in earlier.

Also re-enter the ultimate dirty girl, the bad girl comfortable in her body and her sexuality whose love of knives takes on patriarchal power, who, according to Andrew is "a lethal combination of beauty, power, and death" and whose very name should be anathema to Caleb. Magdalene-like, Faith is on the road to redemption, was paying for her crimes and is only wiling to bust out of prison to help Buffy (or Angel). Faith and Spike bond. Despite being 'cured' last episode, Spike is bound to like Faith since she beats him up when she first meets him. She has a history of going after Buffy's boyfs but both are too repenty for anything to happen. Buffy too has grown up, she told Wood that she didn't have time for petty vendettas and here she doesn't throw Faith out of the house for smoking and flirting (almost post-coitally) with her ex or berate Spike for it.

Buffy also has to go back to work to see the boss who she threatened to let her ex kill. Not many people have to do that (apart from after the Christmas party), and Robin promptly sacks her. The people of Sunnydale have finally caught on that their town is not quite right and are leaving in droves. There's not many students left to counsel so Robin concludes that Buffy is better off at home working with the Potentials and considering her next move.

All the potentials are back: Sassy, Kooky, Sarky, Oriental, and Annoying Molly who, fortunately, is not long for this world. There are now so many Slayerettes that they're leaking into Xander's house and into his dreams. Xander is a philologist but his version of women is light and frothy and lezzing it up a little, rather than the grumpy, tired, flu-ridden people they are in reality. Xander is another opposite of Caleb, willing to follow women rather than oppress them, he is the one who supports Buffy when she wants to take the fight to Caleb, giving one of his own inspirational speeches which is ironic given that he comes off badly during the fight. He foreshadows his own injury when he tells the Slayerettes how to fight effectively: "Go for the centre - brains, heart, eyes. Everything's got eyes." No-one cares about Annoying Molly but to show us how deadly Caleb is, something must happen to a major character. Spike may make up for everything he's ever done to Xander by saving him from death by Caleb, but Caleb has struck a mighty blow at the heart of the group. He has "gone for the centre".

Buffy made a mistake in leading the girls into battle so soon. She is strung out on power and impatience and frustration. She is still snarky to Giles: "Help the girls who still need a teacher". She wants to fight. She wants the Potentials to fight. Faith recognises that Buffy has "a rough sitch here, trying to turn a bunch of little girls into an army". Buffy, with the exception of a few apocalypses, has always fought alone and it's hard for her to know the right thing to do, the girls need to be tested in battle, but she wasn't to know that Caleb was as powerful as he is. Caleb is a fallen preacher which brings to mind the devil, the ultimate evil, but Caleb claims Satan is "a little man". In a show and especially a season about female empowerment, the ultimate enemy was bound to be a misogynist who doesn't believe women have souls, who was a serial killer even before the FE recruited him and, like most evil-doers, doesn't believe that he is evil, he believes he is cleansing the world. Buffy has busted patriarchy and now must fight the ultimate patriarch. Caleb talks about power a lot, he believes his preaching is powerful: "The words I use got a power to them....They're not just words - they're truth." He believes a woman's power is to render men irrational in the face of their sexuality, and that is why women are dirty. He taunts Buffy whom he believes to be an unworthy enemy: "The slayer must indeed be powerful" - before he punches her across the room. The score at this stage, Patriarchy 1 Feminism 0.
  • The One Where Xander Gets an Eyeful

With the series this close to ending, I was surprised that they would introduce yet another big bad. Especially one which would make much of an impact on the characters. How wrong I was!

Psychotic, sexist preacher Caleb crashes into Sunnydale with a bang. As soon as he comes on screen, he causes damage. Brutally maiming a new potential before throwing her out of his car into the roadside, Nathan Fillion, best known to Buffy viewers as the heroic Mal Reynolds on Firefly, is absolutely terrifying as the Southern psycho.

Although the "psycho preacher" storyline has been done to death in many movies and TV shows, Fillion just makes Caleb so grotesque in his insanity that you can't wait for him to get his comeuppance.

The episode continues with him killing two potentials (I know it's macabre, but I cheered when he butchered Molly, the potential you'd most like to rip out their vocal chords from), injuring many others and worse of all... ripping out Xander's eye! I was totally shocked when he did this. You've never seen such a main Scooby getting maimed like this before and my mouth was open in shock for ages!

If Caleb wasn't good enough, Dirty Girls also features the return of Faith, in my opinion, the greatest character in the history of Buffy. Now fighting for good after her rehabilitation on Angel, Eliza Dushku doesn't do much this episode but it's just so cool having her back. She was absolutely amazing whilst on Angel, where she helped battle Angelus, and continues to be so here.

Dirty Girls is really what the writers needed to do to make the audience really feel like the characters are all doomed. It's the best episode and ages and is probably the best out of the latter half of the season.
  • Mildly disappointing

After the brilliance of "Lies My Parents Told Me" I find this episode mildly disappointing. It has its moments, like when Buffy is fired or when Faith enters the household with Giles and Dawn (Dawn IS underused in Season 7) welcome her with decided wariness. My main problem is the villain introduced: Caleb. I am simply bored by his ranting, he is ridicuously garrulous, and his misogyny too pithy, too little inventive to fascinate me. he is a woodcut persona who lacks the ambivalence that has made the greatest buffy-villains so enjoyable: the mayer, d'hoffryn (one of my favourites), spike, of course, etc.
  • Dirty Girls

Dirty Girls was a perfect episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and very entertaining. This episode introduces The First's new player Caleb, who puts a hurting on the Slayer, the potentials, and takes Zander's eye. The story of the episode was good, there was lots of action, touching speaches, and classic Buffy humor. We also got to see the return of Faith. I like how the show continues to have crossovers with Angel. There was a lot of character development in this episode, which moves the season forward. I can't wait to see what happens next after the tragic ending to the fight!!!!!!!
  • Caleb has arrived. Oh yeah, Faith returns also.

Great episode. I really liked the way they introduced Caleb. It was kinda like a scene from a horror movie, scared girl hitches a ride from a seemingly friendly person only to find out he's a psychopathic killer. It worked out great. The fight toward the end was awesome. I do wish they would of brought Caleb in sooner, we didn't get to find out much about him in the short time he was on there. The fight at the end just makes you realize how strong Caleb is. I can't believe Xander lost his eye. It's still hard for me to watch. I will say one thing, I was happy to see the potentials get their butts kicked. I just think that after a while the potential slayers get annoying. Nathan Fillion really made the character Caleb, no one could of done a better job. Overall it was a exciting episode, one that I would watch again.
  • The end is near.

This episode shows the introduction of Caleb, the return of Faith, and also, sadly, the loss of Xander's eye. The fact that Caleb is here brings more suspense since Buffy now knows how to kill the Turok-Han. But the bad thing about Caleb is, well... Everything Else!! The return of Faith is also a good thing because of the fact that they now have double the fire power. The arrival of Faith also gives Buffy an enemy in the next episode that she would never have escaped... Her Friends and Family. I have also been a big fan of Faith's. And Lastly, Sadly, the last episode is only a couple of episodes away
  • Forgive them father for they have sinned!

A personal favourite in many ways, 'Dirty Girls' signposts the beginning of the end. With the first all non-corporeal-y, as a big bad, and Buffy notes this at a later stage, all it can do is taunt you to madness, or to pure boredom, whichever works. Suffice to say, the introduction of Caleb (played with such menacing vigour by Nathan Fillion) is a welcomed and bloody reminder just how strong the First's connections are and how powerful her minions are (Uber Vamps and so on).

The return of one of the show's best assets, Faith, also raised this one above your typical Buffy outing. The rapport between James, Gellar and Dushku was magnificent and I loved that the tension left from season three's events still played a big part in this episode. Also, I love when a show inquires about its own continuity in-story - like when Buffy's about to ask what it was like being in Angel's mind (something she's tried to do, but couldn't a few times in the past. 'Earshot' being a prime example), and then it quickly cuts to bringer activity. A lot fun.

Overall, a great set-up type episode. The fight scene near the end ranks among one of the best on TV, imo. The fight is coming, and Buffy seems to be facing a losing battle. Funny, clever, action-packed and oddly unnerving, especially Caleb's scenes. ~~

~~~~~

"I aint never was nobodies daddy" - triple negative. Whoa.
  • The gang must deal with the arrival of a new foe and a former foe turned ally.

This is definitely a high point for season 7. Rogue slayer Faith returns causing a large amount of tension within the ranks of the Scoobies most notably summed up with the conversation between Faith and Giles:
    Faith: Hey, got a spare bed for a wanted fugitive?
    Giles: Hello, Faith.
    Faith: Huh. I guess "wanted" wasn't really accurate.

Also the appearance of new villain Caleb finally gives the gang a physical threat to deal with. Nathan Fillion provides an excellent performance as The First's right-hand man completely dominating the gang in a fight. Aside from killing two potentials, Xander suffers the loss of an eye. Also it is learnt that Caleb is responsible for destroying the Watcher's Council and the death of several potentials.
  • Faith returns to Sunnydale.

After helping out Team Angel in LA ( Angel, Season 4 ), Faith returns to Sunnydale with Willow to fight "The First Evil". And she is back kicking some butt, namely Spike's butt.
    It is a breath of fresh air that Faith's return brings to the show. While most episodes where by no means bad, they were lacking the power that earlier seasons of Buffy had.
    And Eliza Dushku's performance is topnotch as usual, too bad she wasn't on for the ride for the entire season. Could have lessened the bore that were the Potentials.
    But Faith it not the only one to arrive in LA. Preacher boy Caleb also arrives in town as compadre of "The First". This is one of the best episodes of Season 7.
  • Now, it's a simple story. Stop me if you've heard it. I have found and truly believe that there is nothing so bad it cannot be made better with a story… and this one's got a happy ending.

Just as a reather scary fellow named Caleb (Nathan Fillion) arrives in town with a message for the slayer Willow brings an ally of sorts from Los Angeles, Faith. This naturally causes some problems, given the long standing hostility between Faith and Buffy. But a bigger problem is at hand. Caleb has something of Buffy's, or so he claims. And it is revealed that this Caleb is a most dangerous fellow, leading the brings and in fact the one responsible for destroying the council. Most, including Giles, are apprehensive about following Buffy to the vineyard, where they discovered Caleb and the brings are dwelling, but Xander ever the loyal friend defends Buffy to the last and Faith ever fearless is more then eager to jump into the hornets nest. However, the mission proves fruitless and causes the gang quite a few casualties and leaves some seriously wounded, including Xander.
  • It's always nice to see an old face in town. And a new one.

After a few so-so but good episodes, this is finally an amazing episode. Faith returns. And what more do you need? Just kidding. The episode continues the storyline and brings in a few more characters (and takes away a few).

I liked that Faith returned to the show. She was gone for a long time and although I've seen her in "Angel," it's still not the same. I'm glad she's back and it's good to see her finally talking normally with Buffy. However, you just gotta love those old episodes too. Anyway, Faith was a great addition to the Apocalypse-fighting crew.

We get to meet a new character-Caleb. Buffy fought an UberVamp and killed him after two-three episodes. It was a tough one. And now here's Caleb. He seems really strong. A worthy villain. I can't wait to see what he'll bring in the future episodes. It was really sad to see what he did to two potentials and Xander, but hey, things can't go without any victims. Xander will be OK, but Molly is gone. And I'm sure they'll be more victims in the future.
  • Xander believes in Buffy more than anyone and he's the one suffering the most this time

I just watched this episode again and it struck me how Xander was the only one who truly believed in Buffy and was sure that she knew best - and then she's leading him and the girls into a trap. This only shows that she doesn't know everything and even the chosen one can't always be right. She made the wrong decision and it hurt to see how Caleb killed those girls and then injured Xander. He's the one who always watched and sees everything - he said similar stuff to Dawn earlier this season, too - and now he's lost an eye. It's horrible...
    But I love to have Faith back. I've always enjoyed her character sooo much even when she was still bad. I'm glad she's on the show for its last episodes again! And this time they're gonna kick some ass together again!
  • In this episode a priest called caleb is helping the first to take out all the slayers, thing he almost get to complete taking the lives of some pontentials and leaving Xander really hurt.

This episode is one of my favorites, not only because I was hooked on Serenity and Caleb is the captain of Serenity , but this episode reach the most absolute perfection when Caleb stars fighting with the slayers (potentials) and beats the living soul out of them or when he squeeze Xander`s eye out all by himself, honestly if \\\"the wish\\\" didn’t existed, this one will be my favorite episode of all times. Also the final speech that caleb gives to The First was very catchy and reminds me of a certain bible character called lilith, she is a dark one on the bible and that made the episode like me even more.
  • Xander's eye!!!

When I first say this episode, I screamed out in horror when Xander lost his eye. And to this day I will ramdomly scream out "Xander's Eye"

It was nice that finally, after seven years, a main title character is hurt in ways that can't be fixed (Though I bet Willow could easily take care of it and might in the upcoming comic book series).

This is the closest thing to a Xander-centric episode this season and I love.

Nathan is also very amazing. It's great to see his range of acting in this verse Firefly.

Finally, and season 7 overall, SMG has had a weak season. Many times, including this episode, I "seen" her acting as opposed to watching her act. I am actually glad that she did not come back for an 8th season, by this time, she's grown tired of Buffy and isn't putting it all in. The most apparent unbelievable acting is during "first date" but it does appear in this episode too.
  • The return of a beloved character and the entrance of an impressive villain.

Faith is back! She has always been my favourite Slayer. Even when she went through her bad phase, she was by far the most magnificent. Buffy has bugged me in the later seasons as being arrogant, overconfident and as shown toward the end of this season, reckless. I loved Angel’s getting through to Faith in ‘Angel’ which makes her new alliance to good all the more powerful. She’s made mistakes, but like Angel, she’s willing to make amends. I also found it interesting that Caleb took out Buffy in one punch but Faith lasted considerably longer. I’ve always thought Faith has a great advantage in battle in that she is pure Slayer, in touch with her primal side which keeps a Slayer alive and willing to do what Buffy will not. Though the series insists Buffy’s the best Slayer, she is so obviously not, she has far to many issues and attitudes. There’s a reason why most Slayer’s are loners, as Faith is, not intended to have companions and friends, it’s a distraction, perfectly proven here when Xander is hurt and Buffy and Spike have to stop the fight to help him get out.

I love Faith with Spike, they play off each other beautifully! They're very much alike so they'll be fast friends.

Then there’s the character that makes season 7 memorable: Caleb. Definitely one of the most disturbing, for me probably the most disturbing, villain ever to be in 'Buffy'. This isn’t some demon, he’s human and a serial killer too! Completely psychotic, sadistic, misogynistic and exactly the right temperament to be an agent of the First. He’s a wonderful character, layered and very believable – this is a person any one of us could meet in the street, making the villain human is an excellent twist.

Some of the best dialogue of the season belongs to Caleb in the sadly few episodes he's in. Despite the often offensive content, he's positively hypnotic to listen to, you see why his sermons would be a hit, the fact that he's gorgeous with that honeyed accent would also draw women like flies.

I’m a huge fan of Nathan Fillion which just makes Caleb a delight. He plays him with a combination of humour, twisted righteousness and conviction. Love the southern accent. He’s the main reason I would buy season 7 on DVD.

The fight at the vineyard proves how arrogant and short-sighted Buffy has become. How can you just walk into a known trap taking the barely trained Potentials and civilians like Xander, with no idea what to expect, who (or what) Caleb is or how to fight him? Buffy got those girls killed and Xander permanently hurt. I liked Buffy far more in the earlier seasons when she was still pretty grounded. That’s the problem when your hero has never truly faced defeat – they think they’re indestructible, forgetting that the others around them are not.

This episode has probably the most shocking event in the history of the series - Xander getting his eye gouged out. No-one can say they saw *that* coming!

This was definitely one of the best episodes of season 7 and certainly the first episode of this season that I would choose to watch when I’m in the mood for 'Buffy'.
  • As soon as you think they are done with surprises, they whip out an ace.

This epsiode introduces many characters, but the only main one is Caleb. The new evil priest that hates women. This episode brings back Faith, who we havn\'t seen since Season 4. We also get introduced to Shannon at the beginning of the episdoe. Sadly, Caleb stabs her, but she lives.

Now Caleb starts a stir, and Buffy and Faith go looking for him and than lead an attack. This fight scene was awesome, in my opinion.

We meet two new potentials in this episode. Diane and Caridad. Sadly in the vineyard fight, Caleb snaps Diane\'s neck. And we could basically expect that a potential would die, one of the main ones that is. Vi didn\'t appear in this episode, so she was safe. So it was down to Kennedy, Molly, Rona, Amanda, and Chao Ahn. Personally I wanted Rona to go, but she survived. But when first watching I thought Kennedy was going to get it, but she just got knocked out, than I thought Rona was going to die, but he hand just got broken. Amanda and Chao Ahn weren\'t shown much. Than after Diane\'s neck got snapped Molly screamed \"No!\" and sadly Caleb came after her. Picked her up by her throught, and I was hoping Buffy would save her, but he stabbed her with her own knife, and she died.

Than Caleb got a hold of Xander and punched out his eye. It was a very sad/surprising episode.

Now Buffy has lost Annabelle, Chloe, and Molly. At least those are the main ones she has lost.

Everyone got away, except a few extra potetials, Diane, and Molly.

Anya was absent again. She is the best character on the show, and you would think she would of been there for the last 5.
  • Faith is back to sunnydale and here is where it all continues. A very interesting and cool episode with Caleb.

Dirty Girls

Awesome episode, Faith is back. This episode is one of the reasons why I could never fully like Buffy. I disliked her here massively. Molly died and Xander lost his eye because of her. I loved that they take her out the group in the next episode, in this one. The end was awesome.

Cut to a girl running in the woods and she stops a car and she goes inside and she tells him to ride. He says she should be tucked in bed. He asks if she wants to go somewhere and he is going to sunnydale and he will drop her off. He says that she is a whore. He says that she was born dirty and she tries to escape but she is trapped. The guy says that the men behind her were her boys and that Satan is a little man. She burns something on her neck. He tells her to deliver a message and he cuts in her and throws her out of the car. The car behind stops and finds her the girl, it's Willow and Faith. 'Yep, guess I’m back in sunnydale'

the credits start

Cut to Xander's room and a girl is talking to him and she says that she is scared. She says she never had a real boyfriend and never been with a man. Then comes another girl again and they say that they never had a threesome. Then all the girls are playing with their pillows. Then Rona wakes up Xander and he has he has a cramp. Cut to the hospital and Willow and Faith and Faith says that she wanted to know about the slayers and that she was attacked because they wanted to kill her for being a slayer. Faith tells Willow to stay and she will go alone.

Cut to a girl running and Spike goes after her and attacks her but Faith stops him and they begin to fight. Spike tells Faith that they are fighting at the same fight and then Buffy hits Faith and says she didn't realise it was her. Buffy says that Spike is now and that the girl was a vampire and Faith hits her and stakes her. Buffy says it's nice to have her back. Cut to the house and Dawn sees Faith and she doesn't like her. Spike tells Faith that Giles wanted to kill him. Cut to Caleb drinking whine. He talks about god and he sees The First. She tells him to look hard and he says he sees strength and loneliness and that she is the slayer. He says that he blew up the castle and he had never seen the slayer and she says that he will know Buffy soon.

Cut to Andrew talking about Faith. And that was good but then she went on the dark side. Cut to the eating room and he is making up stories except for the last part. Then he continues about Faith and that she is a killer and never forget that. Chao-Ann says that there is a girl in the yard doing gymnastic. Buffy goes to Robin and she says that they are on even ground and that she meant what she said but she needs him on her side and on the fight and he says they are good but she is fired. Robin tells Buffy to test the girls and that the mission is what matters. Cut to Faith going to the attic and there is Spike and she didn't know he was there. Faith is crazy about the potentials and so is Spike. Faith says that she has met him before when she had the body swap with Buffy and he remembers. Then Spike says that he has done it with Buffy. Then Buffy comes down and Buffy is jealous. she says that Willow called from the hospital.

Cut to the hospital and Shannon tells about the guy. She says that the bringers were his boys before he burned her. She says that she had to give a message 'I have something of yours'. Cut to the hotel and Buffy says that there is a new player and that she wants to find out what he has and she is going to take it back whatever he has and they are going with him. Cut to a girl in the whine seller and she loved his words of preaching and she follows him into the dark where he stabs her and falls dead on the ground and becomes the first. Cut to the room and Buffy is doing recon and Giles says he thinks it's not a good idea. Buffy says that it's time to test them and she takes the ones who are there the longest. Everyone says that they need more time but Buffy tells them to stay behind and to help the girls who need a teacher.

Cut to Buffy and Faith going after a bringer and she says that the guy wants to be found. Buffy asks why Faith is there and she wants just to help and that Angel says hi. Faith says she was in Angel's mind. They find the place. Cut to the house and Xander is preparing the girls and how to attack them. Rona says it's not a good idea and she came for protection and that the plan is problem. Then Xander tells about Buffy and that she has lay down her life for her people around her. Xander says that he has seen her heart and that Buffy earned trust. Faith and Buffy were watching and now they leave. When they enter the bringers attack them. They beat them but then comes Caleb. Then he hits Buffy and she gets knocked out in one hit. Then Caleb knocks out Kennedy and breaks Rona's arm. The second group arrives. Caleb fights Faith and knocks her out and he kills a potential and stuck a knife in Molly's belly. Then they try to escape but Caleb grabs Xander and puts his thumb into Xander's eye. Cut to Caleb talking and everyone in the hospital and Buffy sees Xander lying on a bed. Buffy walks outside and realised she made a mistake. Caleb said it had a happy end.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Caleb: Well, that was, uh... Are you all right?
    Shannon: Thank you. Thank God you were there.
    Caleb: Well, let's not give him credit for everything. No, I'm funning you. I don't believe it was a coincidence. I also don't believe young girls should be out in the woods late at night- should be tucked in bed.
    Shannon: Wish I was.
    Caleb: I expect you do at that. Look, I don't mean to pry, but those boys... they looked like- Well, you didn't happen to fall in with devil worshipers, did you? Na, I'm-I'm sorry. You, uh, you look like you've been travelling a while. I didn't think that- Is there some place you'd like me to drop you? You heading some place?
    Shannon: Sunnydale.
    Caleb: I'm going there myself. I ain't never been, but I expect we could find a police station or a-
    Shannon: I just need to get to Revello Drive. Um, thanks, Father...
    Caleb: Call me Caleb. Never was nobody's daddy.
    Shannon: I'm Shannon.
    Caleb: Well, Shannon, you feel like telling me why those Freaky Joe's were after you?
    Shannon: I'm not sure.
    Caleb: Well, do you ever think that maybe they were chasing you because you're a whore?
    Shannon: What?
    Caleb: Now, I know what you're thinking. Crazy preacher man spoutin' off at the mouth about the whore of Babylon or some-such. That ain't me. I'm not here to lecture you. I mean, what's the point? My words just curdle in your ears. Wouldn't take in a thing. Head's filled with so much filth that ain't no room for words of truth. Well, you know what you are, Shannon? Dirty.
    Shannon: What? I'm not! What're-
    Caleb: Now, now, now. There's no blame here. You were born dirty, born without a soul. Born with that gaping maw wants to open up, suck out a man's marrow. Makes me puke to think too hard on it. Yeah, that there door's problematical. I don't know as I could recommend steppin' out at this speed anyway. You're like as not to tumble some. But, of course, there's my boys back there-Ooh, they hate to miss a mark.
    Shannon: Your boys?
    Caleb: Well, they ain't exactly my "blue eyed boys" but they're hard workers. And they don't truck with Satan-that was just me having fun. Satan is a little man. I don't like back-seat drivers.
    Shannon: Please...don't hurt me.
    Caleb: Well, now, is this the part where you offer to do anything? Because I tried to make it clear-you got nothin' I want to explore. Oh yeah. That's it! That's a cleansing fire. Hallelujah! Now, if I'm not mistaken, there's a car a little ways behind us, and I do believe there's some folk in it goin' the same place you are. Now, I want you to deliver a message for me, but it's not for them. It's for the other one-the one and only, the original, accept-no-substitutes slayer. Would you tell her something for me?
    Shannon: Yes.
    Caleb: Thank you, Shannon. Now, let's see what we can't do about that door.
    Willow: Are you OK? Can you hear me? Can you talk? This girl's bleeding badly. We have to get her to the hospital.
    Faith: Yep. Guess I'm back in Sunnydale.

Xander: I know it's hard.
    Potential: I haven't been able to sleep the last few nights.
    Xander: Hey, listen. It's gonna be OK. Buffy knows what she's doing. She's not gonna send you into battle until she's sure you're ready for action.
    Potential: That's just it, though. How will I know I'm ready...for action?
    Xander: You have to trust us.
    Potential: I'm so scared, Xander. I'm so young.
    Xander: Well, believe it or not, I was younger than you when I started all this.
    Potential: There's just so much I haven't done, so much I need to do. It's like... I never had a real boyfriend, you know?
    Xander: Yeah?
    Potential: I've never been with a man. I could die tomorrow, and I've never been with a man.
    Xander: Well, uh-
    Another girl appears sitting on the bed beside the first potential.
    Colleen: I've never been with a man before either.
    Xander: Colleen.
    Colleen: I've never been with her in front of a man before.
    Potential: I've never been with her in front of a man, either.
    Xander: Um...
    Potential: Xander...
    Xander: We can't.
    Colleen: We're so scared.
    Xander: The others might hear us.
    Colleen: No, they won't.
    Potential: They're OK.

Faith: Whatcha wanna do to her, vamp? Huh? Somthin' like this?
    Spike: Nice punch you got there. Lemme guess. Leather pants, nice right cross, doe eyes, holier-than-thou glower...you must be Faith.
    Faith: Oh, goodie. I'm famous.
    Spike: Told you were coming. Bit of a misunderstanding here. I'm-
    Faith: Spike. Yeah, we've met before.
    Spike: We have? I don't think we- Bloody hell! What're you doing? I'm on your side.
    Faith: Yeah? Maybe you haven't heard. I've reformed.
    Spike: So have I. I reformed way before you did. Stop... hitting... me! We're on the same side.
    Faith: Please. You think I'm stupid?
    Spike: Well, yeah.
    Faith: You were attacking that girl.
    Buffy: Sorry, Faith. I didn't realize that was you.
    Faith: It's all right, B. Luckily, you still punch like you used to.
    Buffy: You OK?
    Spike: Yeah. Terrific.
    Faith: Are you protecting vampires? Are you the bad slayer now? Am I the good slayer now?
    Buffy: He's with me. He has a soul.
    Faith: Oh, he's like Angel?
    Spike: No.
    Buffy: Sort of.
    Spike: I am nothing like Angel.
    Buffy: He fights on my side. Which is more than I can say for some of us.
    Faith: Yeah, well if he's so good, what's he doing chasing down defenceless-
    Buffy: That's one of the bad guys.
    Faith: You should make 'em wear a sign. May I? Thanks.
    Spike: Angel's dull as a table lamp. And we have very different coloring.
    Faith: OK, catching up. Anything else I gotta know?
    Buffy: Nice to have you back.

Buffy: We have a new house guest.
    Faith: Hey, got a spare bed for a wanted fugitive?
    Giles: Hello, Faith.
    Faith: Well, I guess "wanted" wasn't really accurate.
    Dawn: Does she have to stay here? Because there's some nice hotels that welcome tried-to-kill-your-sister types.
    Faith: Check it out. Brat's all woman-sized.
    Buffy: Look, I need to get to the hospital. Some girl was attacked on her way into town. We think she might be a-
    Dawn: We know. Willow's been calling.
    Giles: She's still there. She's gonna call if the girl wakes up.
    Buffy: Fine.
    Giles: Well, Faith, we better, um, see if we can find some place to squeeze you in for the night.
    Spike: Not all that tension was about you. Giles was a part of a plan to kill me...for Buffy's own good.
    Faith: Well, that makes me feel better about me, worse about Giles...kinda shaky about you.

Caleb: "Drink of this, for it is my blood." You know, I always loved the story of the Last Supper. The body and blood of Christ becoming rich, red wine. I recall, as a boy, though, I couldn't help but think: what would happen if you were at the Last Supper, and you ordered the white? A nice oaky Chardonnay or White Zin... I mean, would he make that out of his lymph or some-all? Never did bring it up. Suppose there was a reason why I never spent too long in one parish. Just looking for answers. Just looking for the Lord in the wrong damn places. Then you showed me the light.
    Buffy/The First: Do you think I'm God?
    Caleb: I certainly do not. I am beyond concepts like that.
    Buffy/The First: But you still wear the outfit.
    Caleb: Man can't turn his back on what he come from. Besides, black is slimming. Everyone knows that.
    Buffy/The First: How do you like what I'm wearing?
    Caleb: Just another dirty girl. And, since you only dress up in dead folk, I'm guessing, one who's already been paid her wage.
    Buffy/The First: Look hard. What do you see?
    Caleb: Strength. And the loneliness that comes with real strength.
    Buffy/The First: Nothing about my pert and bouncy hairdo?
    Caleb: You're her.
    Buffy/The First: The slayer.
    Caleb: At long last. All this time. All the work I've done for you... Blowing up the Council, organizing the Ray Charles Brigade, and stickin' all them splits-you never showed me.
    Buffy/The First: Well, you've earned it. And you'll be meeting her soon. Am I right?
    Caleb: Oh, yeah. Yeah, she'll get the message.
    Buffy/The First: And what makes you so sure she'll come?
    Caleb: Curiosity. Woman's first sin. I offer her an apple. What can she do but take it? I'll see you soon.

Andrew: Faith. Her name alone invokes awe. Faith. A set of principles or beliefs on which you are willing to devote your life. The dark slayer. A lethal combination of beauty, power, and death. For years and years-or to be more accurate-months, Faith fought on the side of good, terrorizing the evil community. But like so many tragic heroes, Faith was seduced by the lure of the dark side. She wrapped evil around her like a large, evil Mexican serape. She became a cold-blooded killer. Nobody was immune to her trail of destruction. Not friends, not family... Not even the most pacifist and logical of races.
    Amanda: What the hell are you talking about? I thought Faith killed a volcanologist.
    Andrew: Silly, silly...Amanda. Why would Faith kill a person who studies Vulcans?
    Amanda: He studied volcanoes. He was a professor.
    Andrew: Ah, yes. Well, regardless...
    Molly: I thought you weren't supposed to be doing this anymore-making up stories.
    Andrew: I'm not. This is true. Except for that...possible...word misunderstanding. They're the things you need to know about. Faith...has a history not to be taken lightly. She's a killer. Never forget that. You must stay on guard around Faith at all times. Your very lives may depend on it.
    Chao-Ann: There is a girl in the backyard doing gymnastics.

Spike: You craving a moment alone in the dank, or can I bum one?
    Faith: Well, I guess you can smoke all you want-the big C not really an issue.
    Spike: Teeth get yellow after an eternity. Gotta watch that.
    Faith: Huh.
    Spike: Right. Not what it looks like.
    Faith: Hey, to each his own, man. This one guy I ran with, he liked me to dress up like a school girl and take this friggin' bull-whip, and I'd be like-
    Spike: I got dangerous...for a while.
    Faith: This before the soul, or after?
    Spike: After, but I got over it-in case you're feeling all dust-happy again after your long incarceration.
    Faith: Not if you're all repenty. Takes the fun out of it. No more Starbucks for the wannabe's man. They've been spazzing for, like, hours.
    Spike: Yeah, does get a bit much up there.
    Faith: They're good girls. Just green is all.
    Spike: So, why aren't you up there...imparting?
    Faith: That's Buffy's thing. Anyway, I just spent a good stretch of time locked away with a mess of female-types. Kinda had my fill.
    Spike: Hm. But you waited until Angel needed your help to bust out of jail.
    Faith: Three squares, nice weight room, movie every third Sunday. Could've been worse.
    Spike: What movie?
    Faith: Last one was Glitter. I guess it couldn't have been worse.
    Spike: You had the power to walk away anytime. Nothing to stop you.
    Faith: I stopped me. I got dangerous for a while.
    Spike: You over it?
    Faith: More or less. I pull for the good guys now.
    Spike: What's the less?
    Faith: The usual stuff...
    Spike: Such as?
    Faith: I was thinking about looking up the guy with the bull-whip. Long incarceration.
    Spike: You could do better. School girl thing's old hat.
    Faith: It's all old-hat, man. Every guy's got some whack fantasy. Scratch the surface of any granola-type dude-naughty nurses and horny cheerleaders. I figure, if you can't beat 'em-
    Spike: Join 'em.
    Faith: Just don't forget who's on top.
    Spike: That, I suspect, would be you.
    Faith: You got that right. I've met you before, you know.
    Spike: Yeah, you made a great impression on my chin.
    Faith: Not in the graveyard. Before that. I was kinda wearing a different body.
    Spike: Pity.
    Faith: You seemed OK with it.
    Spike: The body swap. With Buffy.
    Faith: She fill you in on that whole deal?
    Spike: She told me it went down. Failed to mention who was driving her skin around.
    Faith: I may have said a few things...
    Spike: Like you could ride me at a gallop 'til my knees buckle, squeeze me 'til I pop like warm champagne. That's not the kind of thing a man forgets.
    Faith: Should've known it wasn't blondie behind the wheel. She'd never throw down like that.
    Spike: Oh, you have been away.
    Faith: Don't even tell me little Miss Tightly-Wound's been getting her naughty on?
    Spike: Not of late.
    Faith: Wow. Everybody's just full of surprises. Hey, B.
    Buffy: Well, it's nice to see you two getting along so well.
    Faith: Yeah. Uh, you just know all the cool vampires.

Buffy: We need to start arming the girls. I wanna be ready to move when we find him.
    Willow: We don't even know where we're going.
    Buffy: 'S why I figured we'd do a little recon first. You up for it?
    Faith: Point me where you want me.
    Giles: And you're certain this is the best course of action? You don't even know what this man has of yours-if he, in fact, has anything.
    Buffy: It could be a girl, a potential trying to get to us.
    Giles: Could be a stapler.
    Buffy: Going in anyway.
    Giles: With the girls? Most of whom have yet to be in the field, let alone in a life or death situation.
    Buffy: Then it's time we test them. Look, I'll just take the ones that have been here the longest. The rest can stay behind.
    Spike: Could be that's just what he wants you to do-the old bait-and-switch.
    Willow: Yeah, he lures us away and then kills the girls we leave behind.
    Buffy: I know. That's why I need you to stay here with them. You're my most powerful weapon, Will. I know you can keep them safe if anything happens.
    Xander: An unknown man breezes into town, says he has something of yours. Buffy, this thing's got "trap" written all over it.
    Buffy: He won't be expecting a full attack-not this soon, that's why we have to move.
    Giles: We know nothing about this man. We cannot go into battle unprepared. We have to have more time.
    Buffy: Giles, we don't have time. And you're not going into battle. I need you to stay behind with the others. Help the girls who still need a teacher.

Faith: No eyes, but look at him go. He got SONAR or something?
    Buffy: Or something, I guess. Pretty good when they attack.
    Faith: Do they just roam free around town?
    Buffy: Well, normally, they show up out of nowhere, and then either stab or get stabbed, and then they run off. Looks like this guy wants to be found.
    Faith: Lends weight to the whole "it's a trap" theory.
    Buffy: I'm through waiting around for people to attack us.
    Faith: Hey, I'm with you. Drop me in the hornet's nest, what the hell? You got a rough sitch here, trying to turn a bunch of little girls into an army...
    Buffy: They're potential slayers, just like we were.
    Faith: Right. Maybe they'll do as good as us.
    Buffy: They're getting better.
    Faith: I'll work with 'em. Some of 'em seem real eager. Fashion disasters, yeah, but they're ready to fight.
    Buffy: Why did you come back?
    Faith: Willow said you needed me. Didn't give it a lot of thought. Do you-Am I getting you want me to be not here?
    Buffy: No, that's not what I meant. I'm...glad that you're here. It's good. Thank you.
    Faith: No problem. You know me. All about the good deeds.
    Buffy: Willow said you helped out Angel.
    Faith: Yeah. He says "Hi."
    Buffy: Really.
    Faith: Sure.
    Buffy: How is he?
    Faith: Better. Had to do this whole magical mind-walk with him.
    Buffy: You were in Angel's mind?
    Faith: Buffy... What is this place?
    Buffy: Look, there's more of them.
    Faith: I think we just found our hornet's nest.
    Buffy: Let's get the cavalry.

Xander: Now remember, we're looking for killing blows only, people. So, chest and throat if it's a vampire. Stomach, chest and face if it's a Bringer.
    Rona: What if it's something else?
    Xander: Could happen. Something other-worldly. And here's a handy rule: don't go for the flashy tentacles just because they're waving 'em about trying to get attention. Go for the center- brains, heart, eyes. Everything's got eyes.
    Dawn: Except the Bringers.
    Xander: Except the Bringers.
    Molly: I don't want there to be tentacles. I'm not good with squishy.
    Kennedy: I don't care if it's Godzilla. I want to get in this thing.
    Andrew: Godzilla's mostly Tokyo-based, so he's probably a no-show.
    Amanda: Besides, if Matthew Broderick can kill Godzilla, how tough is he?
    Andrew: Xander...
    Xander: Matthew Broderick did not kill Godzilla. He killed a big, dumb lizard. That was not the real Godzilla.
    Rona: You people are even crazier than her.
    Xander: Than who?
    Rona: Buffy, man. I mean, taking us right into the bad guy's lair.
    Xander: Well, that's where, generally speaking, you'd go to find the bad guy. And I don't think you came here to fight plaque.
    Rona: No, I came here for protection.
    Xander: Well, you signed on to fight with-
    Rona: Look, I know, but... this plan is trouble. OK, Buffy doesn't care how many of us she puts in danger-
    Xander: Let me tell you something about Buffy. In fact, you should all listen to this.
    Kennedy: Uh, we kinda were.
    Xander: I've been through more battles with Buffy than you all can ever imagine. She's stopped everything that's ever come up against her. She's laid down her life-literally-to protect the people around her. This girl has died two times, and she's still standing. You're scared? That's smart. You got questions? You should. But you doubt her motives, you think Buffy's all about the kill, then you take the little bus to battle. I've seen her heart, and this time-not literally. And I'm telling you, right now, she cares more about your lives than you will ever know. You gotta trust her. She's earned it.
    Faith: Damn. I never knew you were that cool.
    Buffy: Well, you always were a little slow.
    Faith: I get that now.

Caleb: Well, now, you girls are just burning with righteousness, aren't you? Problem is, you think you're blazing like suns, when really you're burning like matchsticks in the face of the darkness. You having fun? Now, I hope my boys haven't worn you out too much-I need you fit for when I purify you.
    Buffy: Save the sermon, padre. I heard you have something of mine.
    Caleb: Well, I do now. You liked my little message, did you? You know, I ruined a perfectly good knife on that girl. Got her soiled blood all over the place. I may have to get a new truck. So, you're the slayer. The slayer. The strongest, the fastest, the most aflame with that most precious invention of all mankind-the notion of goodness. The slayer must indeed be powerful. So, what else you got?

Caleb: Now, it's a simple story. Stop me if you've heard it. I have found and truly believe that there is nothing so bad it cannot be made better with a story. And this one's got a happy ending. There once was a woman, and she was foul, like all women, for Adam's rib was dirty-just like Adam himself-for what was he, but human. But this woman, she was filled with darkness, despair, and why? Because she did not know. She could not see. She didn't know the good news, the glory that was coming. That'd be you. For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours, now and forever. You show up, they'll get in line. 'Cause they followed her. And all they have to do is take one more step, and I'll kill them all. See? I told you it had a happy ending.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 10
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 10
  • Finally Faith is back on Buffy..And is no longer on the bad side, But you do get to see her hit Spike around a few times!!

In this episode Faith comes back! I really thought Faith was a good character and I love the fight sene between Faith and Spike..And then Buffy comes up and hit Faith in the face. I think that this episode was very exciting and one of the best in the whole season. I just hated the fact that Xander lost his 1 eye.
  • Faith is back in town and a new character comes into the light in the form of crazy preacher Caleb. we learn he is the one behind the bringers and the explosion at the watchers council.

Faith is back. what could be wrong with this episode. Good thing, she's not evil so no one will be trying to kill her, well except for the first, but he's trying to kill everyone. classic episode and when we first see her first in the episode - great stuff. Wicked!!!
  • The final five begins as characters, new and old, converge onto Sunnydale.

Season 7 was to be the final season for Buffy and the gang. While it started off wonderfully, it got sluggish in the middle, but picked up with the previous two episodes. Now, we come to this one. The first episode of the final five episodes of the series. Escuse me, as I wipe away a tear. It all starts here, and this episode really sets things up and puts things in motion that will bring us the rousing finale. This fantastic episode has everything. Great fights, a mysterious and deadly new villain named Caleb, heartwrenching drama, a surprising and shocking wound that took every viewer off their feet, and Faith is back!. Now, what more could anyone ask for?. Not much. So, here's how it goes....

The opening of the episode opens as many have before it. A young woman running. But instead of a chase with Buffy, we get another young woman chased by the bringers like in the opening episodes of the season. She reaches safety when a preacher named Caleb picks her up. He seems genial at first, but we quickly learn that he is with the bringers("his boys"), and is working for The First. Before he finished his deed, he tells Shannon to give The Slayer a message for him. This opening segment is thrilling, scary, and makes you beg for more when the opening credits finally kick in. We get one last little surprise in this opening teaser. As the young girl, who we now know is named Shannon, is thrown from the car, another pulls up. Willow runs up and it is obvious that our redheaded witch is not alone. Out of the dark night walks Faith. We saw Willow get the call from Fred in Los Angeles previously, and this is what Willow brings back, as Faith had been on the previous 3 episodes of "Angel". This is a smashing opening teaser. One of the better ones of the entire season. This was a smashing introduction to Caleb, who came out of nowhere. But the puzzle pieces will soon start fitting, and it will all make sense. His message to Buffy?. As Shannon reveals to Buffy and Willow in the hospital, Caleb says he has something of hers. Now, Buffy is determined to get whatever it is.

This new twist and story development sends the series up into's it's final arc, and sets the stage for the final battle. At this point, the episodes brings together the storylines that have been told and developing over the season. Buffy is ready and really steps into the shoes of leader, and everyone else is who they are at this point in time. The potentials are still scared, but the war is coming, and they don't know what's going to happen to them. Giles, still kind of watcherly, is there as the older adult who is still on shaky ground with Buffy. And Spike. Spike is there to help. Then there is The First and Caleb. The two are a perfect fit. Since The First is incorporal, it needed someone who was flesh and blood to do certain things that it can't do. Like blow up the Watcher's Council, which we learn was done by Caleb's blood stained hands. Caleb himself is an obviously Southern preacher, who is undoubtedly a pig. He preached in churches and belittled women for their sins and called them "dirty". He ended up murdering these women when they seeked his help. With The First's plan being to wipe out the slayer line, it saw that they couldn't of found a better accomplice than the woman hating/murdering preacher Caleb. And then there is Faith. Faith has always been a top favorite in the Buffy universe, and any time she is on is cause for celebration. With her sudden reappearance, it is quickly obvious that there is still hurt, pain, anger, and all around unsolved issues that lie within the group. Buffy punches her at first sight!. We may of seen Faith's turn around on "Angel", but Buffy hasn't, and the memories she has of Faith still doesn't put her in a good light. But after the initial re-meeting of the two slayers, Buffy quickly realizes that Faith is here to help, and she is going to need all the help and fire power she can get. Although, with Buffy punching Faith and acting coldy towards her, it makes one wonder. Wasn't it Buffy who told Wood that she didn't have time for personal vendettas?. Andrew's telling of Faith's legend to the potentials is hilarious. We are treated to his narration over clips from past episodes featuring Faith, but they quickly become "Andrewized" and come from his own imagination. Funny moment.

The end fight in the episode is exciting, dangerous, and horiffic. It is a splending action/fight sequence, but it is also severly deadly and damaging. Two potentials die, and one our close, beloved members of the Scooby Gang gets horribly wounded. Not just a wound that will heal and get better, but a devastating wound that will have a permanent place in this character's life. It was horrible, bloody, and took the wind out of every viewer's breath. It hit close to him, and made you almost forget that two potentials just bit the dust. But it is this kind of thing that the show does so well. Has something you didn't expect or see coming, and it just happens. And in doing so, it completely knocks you off your feet. That's just good writing, plotting, and just all around good television. This fight will have far reaching scars, as Buffy finally begins to act like the General that Giles tolf her to be, and it resulted in people dying. As Giles also told her. This is the beginning of something big, and it is a whole new ballgame from here on out. The war is coming, and the Scooby Gang has now felt what it could bring.

In the end, "Dirty Girls" was a fantastic and brilliant episode of Buffy. It hit all the right buttons, and was the kind of classic Buffy episode that you have come to know, love, and long for. It was scary, sad, tragic, funny, and had the viewer hitting on all kinds of different emotions. Pity Anya wasn't around.
FX