Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Enemies

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 16, 1999 on The WB

• Enemies

I'll just say outright that I'm not a big fan of this episode. Like all of BtVS there is always good stuff within a poor plot which is exactly what happens here. I just hate the idea of making us think that Angel lost his soul again because we've seen Angelus so recently. While I'm glad they were faking it to trick Faith and the Mayor, I'm still not pleased with most of the execution. I didn't like how Giles just happened to know the guy who the Mayor used to yank Angel's soul. Not all of it was poor though! I adored the stabilizing relationship between Faith and the Mayor along with the new information we got about the Mayor himself. So lets gets started with the specifics.

The episode begins with Buffy and Angel coming out of what appeared to be an erotic foreign film. Not the best choice of entertainment for this couple as Buffy pointedly observes. This entire little conversation between the two of them is very amusing. She thinks she's getting him "worked up" when doing stuff like this with him. I can sympathise with Angel when he says just being with Buffy is all he needs to get worked up. I also appreciated seeing him show Buffy that he is in complete control of his emotions.

The Mayor's relationship with Faith continues to grow more fascinating. It is now very clear that he sees himself as a father to Faith. She's not sure she's comfortable with this but soon warms up to the idea. She then begins to show that affection in reverse. It's so unique and odd to love the bad guys so much you almost hope they win. I'm pleased that Faith still hasn't completely lost it yet by her reaction to violently murdering a demon. She does, however, repress her feelings very easily to be able to use that experience to try to seduce Angel. It's also interesting to see Faith throwing nonstop jabs at Buffy once she thinks she has her chained to the wall later on.

It's unfortunate, but that's about where the major positives end. I've got some real fundamental problems with the way this episode was handled. First off is Buffy's reactions involving Angel and Faith. Buffy and Angel have been through so much together that there should be a level of trust between the two of them. Unless Buffy sees some indisputable evidence that Angel for some reason doesn't love her completely anymore, she shouldn't assume he doesn't! This annoying behavior arises twice here. I could understand it when she saw him with Drusilla back in "Lie to Me" (2x07) because their relationship was still largely unexplored at that point. At least Willow points out that she's acting insane over this. Not only is her reaction silly, but the fact that she walks in on Angel and Faith right when Faith briefly kisses him on the cheek is simply poor writing. The other time Buffy acts in an annoying way is at the end when she needs to "break it off" with Angel because of what she had to watch him do with Faith. She still thinks that he might rather be with Faith than with her. Come on Buffy!

The main plot is simply completely unnecessary. Why does the Mayor even want to remove Angel's soul? Is this just something to pass the time to his ascension? Why wouldn't he be even more focused on killing Buffy now that he knows that she knows he's up to something really bad? I also didn't care for the fact that we're led to believe that Angel actually lost his soul again until the end of the episode. I would have preferred it if we'd known he was playing Faith from the start. It would have made the episode fun which would help offset the uselessness of it. The scene where Buffy first thinks Angelus is back is frustrating to watch. We've seen Angelus so recently that even Angel faking it isn't interesting to see right now.

So overall it's a pretty mixed bag. The main plot isn't terrible and it does provide some admittedly fun moments including Angel punching Xander out, Angel throwing a letter opener at the Mayor, the group finding out that Faith is now working for the Mayor, and Angel's "second best" moment. But ultimately it's a waste of an episode because the important material could have easily been wrapped up in a more important plot. It's really difficult to give an episode of this series a really low score because the character interaction is always so entertaining and interesting. That holds true here as well.
  • The die is cast

Enemies

The Good;

Loads more Faith/Mayor stuff and some strong emotional work between Angel and Buffy. The return of 'Angelus' and a heck of a Keyser Soze. Faith's treachery revealed at last. Also some very nice comedy with Xander and an interesting scene with Angel, Faith and Joyce.

The Bad;

Again quite painful to watch Faith's slide to the darkside.

Best line;

A toss up between Buffy's triumphant 'Psych!' and 'Minature golf'

Character death;

Only the demon. Faith still hasn't gone all the way yet, she still feels guilt about what she does. Again we see a non-dangerous demon spared by Buffy, shades of grey entering the Buffyverse rather than just humans good/demons bad. Willow bags her first vamp who's skin must be awfully soft if it can be penetrated by a pencil.

Tied up;

Buffy in chains. Or is she? Angelus comments that Buffy and he never tried chains, Faith comments that bondage looks good on her.

Knocked out;

Buffy and Angel (or are they?)

Women good/men bad;

The women are very bad in this ep

Jeez!;

Faith gutting the demon seems very graphic

Kinky dinky;

Faith sitting astride Angelus and him asking her to 'wriggle'. Faith pawing at him in the Mayor's office (weirdly I think ED looks her most beautiful ever in this scene). Buffy chained up with Faith about to 'torture' her smacks mightily of S&M 'If you're a screamer, feel free'. Angel(us) flatters Joyce (love KS's little 'I still got it' look of triumph). Buffy and Angel go to see some sort of arty yet sexy French film which can't help their celibacy towards each other. Faith refers to the then topical Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky sex scandal "Close but no cigar". Faith's low cut black top really is hookerwear, her cleavage looking like it's about to explode out of it at any moment. Would Faith having sex with Angel really have robbed him off his soul? To judge by what we learn on Angel (Darla, Nina, The Furies, Eve) almost certainly not. Willow describes Faith as the 'do that girl' although she's done her own boyfriend stealing in her time. Faith and Angelus seem to think beating each other up is foreplay. Angelus refers to himself as a boy toy as Faith refer to Xander in Consequences. The Mayor once again demonstrates his father's love for Faith, concerned that Angelus will keep her out late. Oz refers to Cordy as jail-bait.

Calling Captain Subtext;

Faith kissing Buffy even after they fight, even when they're holding knives at each other's throats. Interesting to note Faith's little look when 'Angelus' speaks to Joyce, it's rather guarded, she's not going to let him hurt her. Faith tells Angel she's 'keeping Buffy warm for him'. Her rant whilst Buffy is chained up has the air of a rejected lover, jealous of Buffy's boyfriend. Even now Faith and Buffy still walk arm in arm and refer to one another as girlfriend. Angelus wants the Mayor to call him 'Master'.

Guantanamo Bay;

Giles, Angel and Buffy's plan is very clever and dirty. Wes thinks Faith would be helpful in persuading the demon. Xander says he beat up Willy the Snitch but actually just slipped him some money.

Scoobies to the ER;

Xander gets 'a good bruise'

Where's Dawn?

Presumably at the house when Faith and Angel arrive.When Faith has her rant against Buffy she notes 'you got the mom!' making the subtext pretty much text. Anyone want to bet that in everyone's revised memories she also says 'You got the little sister'? After all, Dawn could very easily have been Faith's sister if things had worked out differently.

Questions and observations;

And now the die is cast! So what would have happened if Angel had really turned? Either Buffy defeats them, the Scoobies rescue her or Faith doesn't go through with it? When Faith is about to torture Buffy she seems to still be psyching herself up, as if she can't quite go through with it. Read a very good fanfic once where Angelus does start to torture Buffy but her screams revive memories of Faith' own childhood abuse and she rescues Buffy. When Faith goes to Angel with blood on her hands is it all a ruse or is she partly genuine? She's obviously genuinely upset at facing the demon murder scene and Buffy's reference to 'Someone's idea of a party' What would Faith do if Angelus started to suck on a passerby? Would her Slayer instincts kick in as they do in 'Who are you?' There are texts that Giles doesn't want Willow looking at, fearful of her growing magic power.

Some great acting by DB, he can effortlessly slip into Angelus now with just a look. Interesting that EDs crack up at the Mayor's line at the end was unscripted. If Angel was going to lose his soul again wouldn't the gypsy woman see the signs? Angel says it's been a while since he's been to the movies, not since his Charlton Heston fad in the 70s. From what we learn in the later seasons of Angel it's highly unlikely that Angelus would have been content to be The Mayor's lackey. Wes is more and more part of the gang and seems to be on better terms with Buff and co. Nice to see 'Waiting for Godot' mentioned in an American teen TV series. Actually if Angelus had killed Buffy we wouldn't have had a new Slayer as The Gift shows, Faith would have come back to the good guys. Angelus calls Buffy sleepyhead which is Joyce's pet name for her. Love Buffy's Union Jack top (this is when the Spice Girls were huge). Faith hasn't been informed on all the details of the Ascension. Would she still love the Mayor when he's a great big snake? Also obvious that Faith would like the Scoobies to be hers.

This appears to signal Cordelia's return to the Scooby gang, she's back in research mode and will be a permanent fixture in all future Scooby adventures.

Marks out of 10;

6/10

• Enemies

Enemies was a perfectly entertaining episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was full of character, drama, action, betrayal, trust, and revelations. This episode focused around Faith and catching her in her lies and double sideness. The Mayor has Angels soul stolen and Faith teams up with Angelus, and they catch Buffy and chain her up. Mean while Zander who witnessed the two together goes to get the Gang together. There were lots of good scenes where we got to see more of each characters qualities. In the end there was a shocking revelation, and Faith is taken by surprise, and much to every one elses surprise Giles had a key secret role in helping in this situation.
  • Season 3, Episode 17.

Buffy tries to get her hands on the Books of Ascension before the mayor does, but it's a little bit harder with Faith on his side. Faith tries to seduce Angel.

Not a bad plot for this episode. I liked the Faith and Angel scenes, since Angel is so hot. Aw, Angelus comes back. Grr. I liked how they ambushed Buffy at the mansion though. Buffy looked good. Eliza Dushku looked pretty good in this episode as well, as always. I liked when Buffy was chained against the wall and Faith is jealous that everyone likes Buffy more. I like the talk about the Ascension on Graduation Day as a foreshadowing of the season finale.
  • Enemies

Faith is finally sniffed out as the Benedict Arnold in this episode. When the mayor assigns her to remove Angel's soul the group devises a plan to find out if she's still on their side or playing for the other team. Angel's brief, though untrue, return to the dark side really highlights this episode, featuring some of Faith's best moments. Faith is one of my favorite characters, and so is Angel. It's nice to see them acting bad together. It's great.

Buffy's speech to Faith and Faith's response really make this episode. It's one of my favorites. Some people consider Season Three to be the best Season of Buffy. My favorite is Season Two but it's easy to see why with episodes like Enemies.
  • this was a great episode. faith finally show her true self to the gang.

One of my favorite episode. i love the way that giles planned everything as he know there is a possibility that faith turned bad. it felt so real. i really thought that angel became evil again, the last part where faith found out she had been tricked was just so great. buffy was so sad when she really thought that angel went bad again. poor xander, got hit in the face just bacause he happened to pass by. buffy felt so sad in the end. i dont think she completely trust that ange was just pretending, she thinks that angel wanted to kiss faith. buffy eventually asked angel to give her some space.
  • Played Like A Fool

Enemies-As a part of her new alliance with the Mayor, Faith tries to seduce Angel so that he will again lose his soul. When that fails, the Mayor summons a powerful demon to remove Angel's soul with dark magic.

An episode that succeeds so well it's 2 main points, by making Angel evil again and revealing Faith's betrayal to the Scooby Gang. It's fun to see Angelus back for an episode, as you can tell David Boreanaz loves playing that role more than anything else. The scenes with Faith stand out throughout the episode as even they are lusting after each other there is some subtle hatred for each other. Eliza Dushku continues to shine as Faith as she becomes a more ruthlesses and dark character with every moving episode.

The scene that stood out to me the most is when Buffy has just been chained to the wall by Angelus and Faith gives a great speech on why she switched sides. Faith is just a character who without a doubt had a rough life before Sunnydale, and these were made worse after she came to Sunydale as she is longing for the love and attention that Buffy gets from her friends, mother and watcher. It makes you feel sorry for Faith and understand why her relationship with the Mayor is such a significant one. In this episode we finally see the father/daughter dyanmic between The Mayor and Faith which mirrors Buffy and Giles' relationship. It's great to see that even evil characters could have that much affection for each other, like Spike and Drusilla a year before.

The twist at the end with Buffy and Angel acting all along to get the truth from Faith was brilliant. But I also like how it effected everyone. Buffy and Angel now have another rift in their relationship as Buffy isn't sure if Angel like playing an evil lusty duo with Faith. Also, poor Xander getting punched like that. The Shaman creature was cool though and the special effects during Angel's (fake) transformation of losing his soul was stunning. It's also funny how Giles introduced the Shaman to his wife. All and All, a superb episode that has a clever plot and succeeds by revealing Faith's true nature as well as having great dialogue.
  • one of the best .

This episode was amazing. the acting was great and it had me fooled the whole time. faith went off the deep end and its fun to see her bad. angel was so convincing and even when i though he was evil cracked up when he punched xander. faith was so entertaining with her jealous and violent self. the mayor is also so funny. with his milk and mini golf. he really does care about faith. cordy and her english report was hilarious. this episode was very well acted and you could see the intensity in it. This episode was so great and was perfect for faith development.
  • It is official Faith is bad

I loved that the gang finally got to see that Faith was on the side of evil. The viewers knew but the gang didn't and it was great that it was made clear to them in this episode. I liked seeing Faith in her role with the Mayor though it was really nice to see them together. It was obvious that Faith felt almost loved.

I really loved the beginning. Buffy and Angel were great together there. I loved that they were both on some level very worked up. It was great to see how Angel just acted it off and kissed Buffy. They looked so happy in the beginning and it just made the rest seem like it could never happen.

I loved that Faith was trying to turn Angel back into Angelus, because it was so Faith and so evil. I liked that Faith couldn't succeed at making Angel happy and had to revert to magic to make Angel turn evil.

I loved Faith, Buffy, and Angel when they were together at the Mansion. Angel and Buffy did an amazing acting job there. I was convinced that Angel was bad and working with Faith. I loved how Buffy was really trying to get to Faith on some level. Buffy didn't want to accept that Faith was on the side of evil and it was obvious. I loved that Faith thought she was the best actor and then when she voiced it Angel just said "Second best" and she understood that they had set her up. That look of realization was beautiful.

I liked that Giles had used a favor with the guy that performed the spell for the mayor. I loved that Giles, Buffy, and Angel were all in on the secret and everyone else was on the outside of it. Wesley threatening to call the council was great too because you knew that Giles would get Wes with his screw up.

This was an incredible episode of Buffy's third season.
  • Faith tries to bring out the worst in Angel

Favorite Quotes:
    Wesley: "The Council isn't entirely aware that I'm letting you work for me. Uh, with me. I don't think they'd be very happy at the idea of the two of us collaborating."
    Giles: "I wasn't about to burst into glorious song about it myself."

Faith decides to up the stakes and ends up tipping her hand. She and the mayor have a plan, possibly the stupidest plan ever, to bring back Angelus. I must admit, when I first saw this ep I though he was back myself. Thankfully, it was all a ruse and Faiths alliance with the mayor has been exposed. Unfortunately, it also puts a big wedge in Buffy and Angels relationship. It's a whole new ballgame for the scoobies now, they have Faith *and* the mayor to contend with.
  • Acting!

This episode was brilliant, I love the way that the viewer was kept completely in the dark about Buffy and Angel's plan. It was such a shock to find out that it was all an act.

I don't understand why Buffy is so jealous of Faith kissing Angel, after all she knew it was an act all along and that Angel was only doing what she said.

The comedy value of Angel punching Xander even though he was just pretending to be soulless was hilarious.

The reference to Giles introducing the demon to his wife was revealing, it tells us that demons can get married, or at least have an equivalent of marriage.
  • For a minute I thought... omg

If I hadn't been in love with Buffy, this episode would have gotten me hooked all over again. It was amazing, exciting, funny, sad, all at the same time!
    It was interesting to watch Faith's attempt to seduce Angel. She should have known he'd never fall for that. But I seriously thought for a minute or so: Oh my god, no! I really believed the magic worked and Angelus was back. It was awful to watch him kiss Faith and almost "torture" Buffy, but in the end I was soo relieved cause it was just a trick. That was really great!
  • Bad Faith, Good Angel...

So Faith has gone off the deep-end and the scoobies know that something is up. They find out that she is working for the mayor and that she knows what he is up to. Turns out that Faith and the mayor what to bring back bad Angel to join the gang and take out Buffy. Faith wants to give him ultimate pleasure, when he doesn’t fall for it they call on a demon and there is Angelus. He fights then works with Faith and gets to meet the mayor and find out a bit more about what’s going on. Buffy goes to the mansion and realizes that Angelus is back. They chain up Buffy and Faith goes on and on about the mayor. Just then Buffy breaks her chains and looks at Angel (only playing Angelus) and asks if they got all the info. Turns out that Giles knew what was happening and told Buffy so they could play Faith. Faith knows that all ties to the gang are over and goes to the mayors upset. Buffy: You're right, Faith would never do that.
    Willow: Faith would totally do that. Faith was built to do that. She's the do-that-girl.
    Buffy: Comfort, remember? Comfort here?
    Willow: Please, does Angel come up to Faith's standards for a guy? Let's see, is he breathing?
    Buffy: Actually, no.
    Willow: Buffy... Angel. There's no way he would ever do that. You're the only thing in the world to him.
  • Faith and the Mayor come up with a plan to bring out Angelus to play once more.

Faith's descent continues in a dark episode (with the occasional funny bits of course). Faith's attempted seduction of Angel is just embarrassing and you kinda feel bad that she is so obvious. As if Angel was ever going to fall for that one.

The scenes of especial power however, are after Buffy has been (supposedly) restrained and Angel has become Angelus. Listening to Faith goad Buffy with how her boyfriend is going to be cutting into her is a powerful and ugly scene. To see so much rage in Faith is genuinely scary.

I loved when Buffy pulls her 'psych' though, and to see Faith realize she's been had is great. Unfortunately it leads to yet another Buffy/Angel wah-boo-hoo scene. And people complain that Dawn gets whiney?
  • 'I just want you to know, if you're a screamer, feel free.'

‘Enemies’ was a very necessary episode that turns this season and develops Faith. Now she’s really cut from the group and officially a bad guy.

It began hilarious with Angel and Buffy stepping out of the movies. They obviously watched a porno movie and even make jokes about it. But they can never do things like that and they know it/ meanwhile Faith can now kill vampires again and goes hunting with Buffy. They come across a demon that tells them he has the book of the Mayor’s ascension.

Buffy asks Giles and Wesley about it but both don’t seem to know. Willow remembers reading about it in a book, a whole town disappeared the last time there was an ascension so it’s not a loving.

Meanwhile Faith has her own evil plan, she first kills the demon who has the books and then whores herself onto Angel. But he doesn’t fall for her act. Faith is pretty mad about it after telling it to her Mayor. But he has another way to skin the cat, he will have to turn Angel in the most painful way possible.

So Faith goes back to Angel and together with a demon that was summoned by The Mayor, they turn Angel into Angelus again. Faith tells Angelus her plan and he’s interested into maiming Buffy. Angelus also gets to meet The Mayor and throws a spatula towards his heart but it doesn’t hurt The Mayor. He tells Angel that the cannot be harmed until he ascends.

Angelus and Faith then pick up Buffy and go over to his place where he knocks out Buffy after she discovers he’s back being Angelus. In the meantime Faith tells why she’s so unhappy and why she hates Buffy. She says that the town is supposed to be hers but everyone only worships Buffy. I really loved how Buffy comes back hard and tells Faith that she’s a loser but in the meantime she gets all the info over the Mayor out of her. Soon Faith realised she has been played by Buffy and Angel, Angelus never turned. Faith and Buffy fight but Buffy cannot kill her yet because if she does, she becomes Faith.

The episode was filled with powerful performances. The way Buffy tricked her friends into believing that Angelus had turned was excellent. I also loved Cordy once again and her flirting with Wesley.

Faith develops and realised that she isn’t as tough as she thinks she is. I also loved her little speech on her mom and how she blames her for her being this way. I’m also starting to like The Mayor, his chemistry with Faith is highly amusing, she is a much better villain than that lame-o Mr. Trick.

At the end of it all, Buffy needs a break after seeing Angel kiss Faith. I loved the last lines ‘You still my girl’ and she replies ‘Always’/
  • When Buffy and the gang find out the truth about Faith.

Am I the only one that hates it when you know something in a show that the main characters don't? Throughout the last few episodes, they had no idea Faith had gone bad, and on the Mayor's side. But her intentions were finally revealed in this episode.

They finally find out the ascension is on Graduation Day. Some lines in this episode, when Faith had Buffy tied up, came as a shock for me. They were well thought-out. I had actually thought Angel's soul was gone! The Mayor is actually one of my favorite villains in this show.

I loved this episode, and I think it deserves a 10.
  • "He built this town for demons to feed on and come graduation day, he’s getting paid." - Faith

Buffy and Angel still can’t have sex but they can watch erotica at the cinema. Hey, a date without a graveyard in sight. Their relationship is the utter teen dream. Remember when Buffy was writing “Buffy hearts Angel” on her school exercise book? The Buffster may have grown up a little since then, but daydream graffiti is still the basic level of this relationship - angst, longing, jealousy, chivalry, forever-yours, betrayal, and definitely no underage sex - it’s a Sweet Dreams novelette in the making. Brooding puppydog Angel is every teen girl’s dream (although, it’s never really been established why Angel can’t just be there for her, if y’know what I mean).

Anyway, there are only 5 episodes before the season finale and the Scoobies need some answers fast. So when Buffy notices that Faith is already familiar with the murdered hornèd demon’s house (she knows the location of the light switch), some double agent investigating has to take place. The fact that a little light S&M is involved is all the better. Buffy knows that when Faith starts to lie she wholly believes that lie, so Angel has to fight fire with fire and take a sham to an extreme. The fake-out is a little too good, the irony of Angel being turned into Angelus by dark magicks when B&A have been struggling so hard not to give in to lustful temptations is not lost on the faked-out viewer. The more cynical viewer can’t believe that they’re going to make Angel bad every single season.

Another little wrong turn for the credulous viewer is when Faith kills the demon for the Books of Ascension and sees the blood on her hands, she seems to have a little epiphany and turns to Angel for help. But in reality it’s only to help him lose his soul, a task she does not find at all distasteful. But as Buffy points out, Angel wouldn’t be with Faith without the loss of his soul, pretend or otherwise. Of course, part of Angel’s attraction to Faith is that he’s Buffy’s beau. She likes to share boyfriends as much as she enjoys sharing slaying duties. Scott Hope should be quaking in his size 8s – although, as we discover in S6, maybe he’d prefer Angel. Wouldn’t we all.

Meanwhile, the Mayor’s good guy image is once again juxtaposed with his bad guy intentions and now doubly with Faith’s bad girl posturing. When Faith glowers, he tells her he likes “good positive up-thoughts”. When she is upset, he pours her a glass of milk. The idea of Faith drinking milk is bizarre and indeed she looks at it as if it were poison, but the Mayor tells her “there’s nothing uncool about healthy teeth and bones”. However, at the end of the episode, when Faith has lost, the Mayor’s insistence that he’s got “two words that’ll make all the pain go away – Miniature Golf”, he does manage to raise a smile out of her. Their relationship is starting to look like a warped version of Buffy’s and Giles’s.

As for the rest of the gang:- well, in a scene that is unfortunately off-screen, Xander bribes Willie for information, but doesn’t get a receipt for expenses. He’s also punched by Pretend Angelus, but he does get to say “I told you so”, as he thinks Angel has gone bad again. Cordelia is back on the research trail; just as Cordelia dating Xander got her in – and then out – of the group, her yen for Wesley makes her a semi-official Scooby once more. Giles is disappointed by the declining standards of demons: “They should be living in a pit of filth or a crypt”. He is thwarted by Wesley once again as he can’t phone the council for info on the ascension because he is no longer the official Watcher. Talking of which, who is now the official Slayer? When Buffy dies in S5, no new slayer rises, but the Mayor seems to think that a new slayer would come to town if Angel(us) were to kill Buffy. No wonder Faith is pissed off – she is the true Slayer: “This was supposed to be my town,” she pouts, as she revels in the fact that she is a great actor. Not as good as Buffy and Angel though. Faith is essentially stupid, she has cunning, but no intellect. From the light-switch to fake Angelus to not noticing that Buffy brings up “your boss, the Mayor”, even though she has never mentioned him, she shows her lack of intelligence. With only two punches being thrown at Buffy, she now knows about:

v Faith’s double dealing
    v The Mayor’s invincibility
    v That the Ascension will be on Graduation day

Buffy hammers her superiority home by reminding Faith that “you had to tie me up to beat me”. She has everything Faith wants – love, family, friends, Angel – and she is the official slayer.

Fortunately for Faith the Mayor is cleverer. In attempting to get Angel to kill Buffy, he leaves Faith clean. And not only clever – powerful. The hornèd demon says that he wants money to leave Sunnydale before the ascension and we learn that the last time a demon ascended, a whole town was wiped out, Nazi-style. Finally we find out why Sunnydale was built on a hellmouth (“For demons to feed on”) and that the Mayor himself founded the town. He’s over 100 years old and definitely not human. You’d think the voters might have noticed that by now. And I hope that his boast “Nothing can harm me until the ascension” doesn’t come back to haunt him.

At the end, we have the hundredth split between Buffy and Angel. In Season 3, I think she dumps him 3 times. No wonder Angel finishes with and moves to LA. No more erotic cinema for them.

• A pivitol episode in the season; when Faith goes bad.

Sure, we knew she had gona bad way before this point, however we didn't know that Buffy was in on it as well. When Buffy catches Faith trying to seduce Angel, I think it was then that she realized her evilness. The rest was pure brilliance. Giles's debt to the shaman who performed the dalse curse on Angel, Xander being punched out by Angel himself; everything fit. This hasto be one of my favourite episodes of the season, ending with my FAVOURITE QUOTE:
    "You still my girl?"
    "Always"
  • I can't believe this episode isn\\\'t at the top of the review list. It\\\'s not only my favorite episode of Buffy, it\\\'s my favorite episode of any TV show ever.

I love being pleasantly surprised and I honestly never saw this plot twist coming. I don\\\'t want to spoil this episode for anyone who hasn\\\'t seen it yet. Suffice it to say that it has most everything that Buffy fans love. Buffy, Faith, Angel and last but certainly not least Angelus, need I say more?
FX