Buffy the Vampire Slayer

First Date

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 11, 2003 on The WB

• I've always somewhat enjoyed "First Date," but it wasn't until I took a closer look at it that I fully realized why.

It's an episode that gets one thing wrong and almost everything else right. "First Date" also serves up some solid setup for the next three episodes and has some ancillary material that is largely interesting to watch. On top of all that, there's quite a lot of solid humor along with the always awesome quirky Buffy on display. So without further ado, let's jump into specifics!

The most pronounced and important piece of setup in "First Date" revolves around the obvious difference of opinion between Buffy and Giles over Buffy's decision to remove Spike's chip. The conversation between them is absolutely crucial and very much informs the huge situation that pops up in "Lies My Parents Told Me". This is some excellent dialog representing two different points of view. I can completely buy Giles' argument too -- a new chip might, indeed, prevent the First from manipulating him further if the previous one was malfunctioning when it did it before. Giles has an excellent point. Buffy's rebuttle is true, but not exactly comforting. She tells Giles, "He can be a good man, Giles. I feel it. But he's never gonna get there if we don't give him the

Another important angle of this conversation is Giles' concern for Buffy over her feelings for Spike. He believes those feelings are clouding her judgement, and that continuing relations with Spike will only lead her to more pain. He says, "Buffy, I want more for you. Your feelings for him are coloring your judgement. I can hear it in your voice. And that way lies a future filled with pain. I don't want that for you. ... It doesn't matter if you're not physical with each other anymore. There's a connection. You rely on him, he relies on you. That's what's affecting your I greatly sympathize with Giles' point and genuinely think his concern is valid. I think Buffy's response is equally valid though. She tells him that "You think I'm losing sight of the big picture, but I'm not. When Spike had that chip, it was like having him in a muzzle. It was wrong. You can't beat evil by doing I think this scene is spot-on.

Another aspect of "First Date" I really appreciate is Buffy's date with Principal Wood. First of all, there's the absolutely wonderful Buffyesque self-referential conversation between Buffy, Willow, and Xander about their dates. Then there's Buffy's growing excitement over the possibility of having a shot with a "normal" guy. Then there's the pre-date fight, and it all gets wrapped up with an absolutely lovely dinner sequence between Buffy and Wood. I was absolutely thrilled to see Buffy all dressed up and out in the town for a pleasant evening for a change! Good for her! In a nutshell, I really loved this aspect of the episode. My only sadness is that nothing happened between them after the reality of the situation was revealed.

As for the date itself I, like Buffy, find Wood's backstory incredibly fascinating. He got that position and got Buffy in her position for very strategic reasons. Speaking of which, I felt Buffy's bit of pain when she realized she didn't get hired for her counseling skills, as it does take away a little of bit of authenticity of both her job as counselor and Wood's interest in her. I really like how Buffy's eyes lit up when she heard that Wood's mother was a slayer. It's almost as if that opens up a possibility for her to be able to do the same someday -- something that she never thought could happen before. With that said, the fact Wood's mom got killed when he was four doesn't bode too well for the idea. Then again, Buffy seems to find ways to continue to stay alive, so anything's possible and I'm glad the idea for it was thrown out there. Personally, if written well, I'd love to see Buffy as a mother and a slayer 5-10 years down the road.

Spike's calm acceptance of Buffy going on a date is worth thinking about. He clearly still loves her, but his "eyes are clear" and wants Buffy to be happy over anything else. When Buffy suggested that Spike also try to go on a date of his own, I can't help but feel that the comment was a little short-sided. I mean, really, who's Spike, of all people, going to go on a date with, with his situation, backstory, and, oh yeah, vampirism? I feel a little sorry for Spike, I think largely because he's in a very hopeless situation romantically at the moment -- it's either Buffy or no one at this place and time. The situation is played for some of its inherent awkwardness when Buffy, Spike, and Wood are all in the car together going to save Xander. I just love how uncomfortable everyone is.

At the end of the episode, though, Spike offers to leave town for everyone's safety and that he's not that useful to her. Buffy says she doesn't need Spike here just for his fighting abilities. I think this is the moment Spike realizes that Buffy's relying on his growing confidence in himself as much as he is her. Spike does some light probing to suss out what the entire situation is, and Buffy's response is pretty much "I don't It is clear, however, that she still feels close and very connected to him. If they ever get physical again, it will definitely take some time. But there's no denying they've still got a strong emotional connection.

The one major aspect of "First Date" that really didn't work for me was Xander's date. Although some amusement was definitely gained from Xander going on yet another demon date, which is somewhat fitting to revisit in S7, it doesn't change the fact that it was executed very poorly. The 'actress' playing the demon can't act worth a grain of salt and sticks out like a throbbing thumb. It makes me a little sad that Xander's even wasting his time on such an obviously not-for-him type of girl/demon anyway. So, I appreciate the comedy here, but this aspect of "First Date" ultimately doesn't work all that well for me.

The end of the episode has several important moments. One is Giles' outburst over the sillyness he sees around him. Everyone's joking around about their crappy dates while they're facing a known dangerous threat that's gathering its forces. This is very much in line with Giles' personality, and I think his comments have a real effect on Buffy judging by what happens in "Get it Done". Second is the entire end scene with the First coming to Wood as his dead mother. This is very effective, as the First gives Wood the one thing he wants more than anything else, and he bites. Now we've got the added tension of Wood wanting to kill Spike at any given moment moving forward.

"First Date" is certainly flawed and it struggles in places with becoming a little too inconsequential. Yet it's also funny, interesting, and sports some pretty neat setup. After watching it I generally have a smile on my face with the fun dread and excitement in the back of my mind that things are about to happen. The season begins to pick up some steam again from this point on. So... Onward! To the end!
  • Speed dating Sunnydale style

FIRST DATE

The Good;

So we finally find out Wood's secret! Some nice comedy stuff with Xander and Danny Strong suprisingly creepy as Jonathon/The First. It's amazing how funny Chao Anh can be with just such a simple old gag.

The Bad;

Buffy really should take more care with her cellphone. Who opens a French resteraunt down a creepy dark alleyway? Note Woods doesn't lock his door after Buffy leaves whilst he's putting away his knife. Honestly if you were Xander on your first date with Lissa would you ever dream of telling the story of leaving your bride at the altar? Not exactly something that makes a girl think 'Boy this one's a keeper!' (although considering the attraction to bad boys in this series maybe it would impress her?)

Best line;

Buffy; (of Xander's date) "Good thing you're not jealous!"

Anya; "Are you nuts? Can't you hear my bitter ranting? The shrill edge of hysteria in my voice? Little hardware store whore!"

Women good/men bad;

Anya considers Xander's date a slut and whore despite never having met her.

Jeez!;

Decaying Jonathon (love Amanda's little squeal). Bleeding Xander isn't nice either.

Kinky dinky;

Needless to say Ashanti is GORGEOUS especially when she puts on her sacrificial gear and into bondage fun. The bleeding bit not so much fun nor is her demon form. Half naked Xander, NB slimmed down a lot since season 6. Andrew admires the contents of Buffy's underwear drawer 'Nice things' and notes she has thongs amongst her intimates (as we saw before in Shadow) Interested in her wearing them or him? We also see Buffy in her sexy camisole top. Andrew considers Dawn 'A peach'. Buffy considers Wood's French pear desert 'The best thing I've ever had in my mouth', a line which would make the Carry On team blush! (and she says it in front of Spike!).

Captain Subtext;

Xander; "Willow, gay me up!" imagining Scott Bakula in his underwear which Andrew also appreciates. Buffy worries that this would just attract male demons, Dawn mentions that Clem always liked Xander further portraying him as Buffy's gay friend. Willow considers Buffy a 'frisky vixen'. Buffy's description of Woods is very reminiscent of Riley which hardly bodes well for him as a potential lover. Buffy wonders why she's so attracted to 'wicked energy', in the next ep we find out why. Interestingly when Willow asks about Spike Buffy says 'Why does everyone still think I'm in love with Spike?'. Her use of the term 'love' is unprecedented. Buffy is attracted to Woods, another older man for her, older than Riley although still much younger than Spike and Angel (Hank leaving really screwed her up even before all the Slayer dark energy lust kicked in, one wonder's if Dawn will be the same?) And of course Woods whose mother was a Slayer who died when he was four, breaking his heart now finds himself dating one. He comments that he 'Doesn't know how that happened' but I think it doesn't need Freud to guess? Kennedy and Willow now make out and hold hands under the table although she tries to hide it.

Guantanamo Bay;

Andrew wears a wire

Apocalypses; 7,

Scoobies in bondage: Xander big time! Lissa into recreational bondage (or she mistakes him for a kayak?)

Buffy: 8

Wes: 1

Xander; 3

Dawn; 4

Spike; 3

Scoobies knocked out: Xander passes out, Giles is the one notorious for it but he's far ahead.

Buffy: 20

Wes: 1

Anya;7

Dawn; 4

Spike; 1

Kills: 1 Bringer for Giles, 3 vamps for Buffy plus Lissa giving her her 200th kill! 2 vamps for Woods plus he says he's killed 'A few vamps and some demons' previously so we'll give him 3 more vamps and 2 demons at least.

Buffy: 121 vamps, 62 demons, 6 monsters, 10 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demons, 2 humans/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie

Xander: 4

Dawn;1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 13

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers.

Sunnydale deaths;

Total number of scoobies: 15-Chao Anh and Woods join the group. Andrew really picks his side here and starts taking a major step to becoming a proper Scooby.

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy, Molly, Vi, Chloe, Rhona, Amanda, Chao-Anh, Woods

Xander demon magnet: 6(7?) yet another demon digs Xander

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya, Lissa (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Tara; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost: does Xander get anywhere with Lissa before she ties him up? (or afterwards?)

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 2 possible, Dracula+RJ(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

What the fanficcers thought;

Once read a HORRIBLE fic where Giles really was killed by the Bringer and season 7 Giles is Ethan Rayne in a glamour spell. By the end of the fic Buffy has been tricked into killing Spike, Woods tricked into raping Buffy who then kills him and Buffy slits her wrists in the bathtub in despair. Thankfully in the follow-up story the Scoobs save Buffy using a blood transfusion from Dawn and her love for her friends and family give her the will to live. After sharing the Slayer power with the Potentials she obliterates the Hellmouth with a nuke borrowed from Riley&co, Ethan Rayne reforming to become her new Watcher and Amanda and Anya surviving the final battle. Meanwhile in season 5 Angel Harmony misses her blondie bear and gets her hands on the spell WR&H used to bring back Darla....

Questions and observations;

Note in the scene where Giles' is leading the girls through the graveyard one of the tombs reads 'Snyder'. Only a limited number of Potentials each ep as they can't afford more. Buffy says she believes in Spike. The First knows about the gun implying that Amy was one of it's agents, otherwise how would it know? Of course the 'blood' on Buffy's blouse that Anya is trying to clean is actually the pizza sauce Dawn spilt on it in 'Conversations with Dead People'. People constantly mock Buffy's counselling skills, she seems to actually enjoy her job, something in her life that's NOT connected to slaying (Woods feels the same way saying he enjoys being the headmaster). Woods has no slayer powers, if he was a Slayer's daughter you wonder if that might be different. Buffy seems intrigued that Slayer's can have children, something she and Faith might now have the chance to do (certainly post-Chosen). Note Amanda still has her forehead scar from Potential. So anyone's blood can open the seal? Why doesn't the first just have it's Bringers kidnap random people? Why does The First want Woods to kill Spike, isn't he it's agent? Poor Woods, how heartrending for him to find his mother's killer after all this time. When Woods tells the First 'You didn't raise me at all' is he saying "You're the First so you didn't raise me' or is he mad at his mother for dying and leaving him alone? I always thought vamp limbs went to dust when they were removed from the body but here we see they don't (luckily for Spike in 'Damage')

Marks out of 10; 7/10

• just a filler episode with a few comedic moments

Despite the few mildly funny bits with Xander and Andrew and some others, this episode was pretty weak.

Buffy and Xander get dates. Giles points out the stupidity of this considering their circumstance, as well as confronting Buffy about her irrational soft spot for Spike with regard to chip removal. Buffy says that he has a soul now which should prevent him from being evil (as if the presence of a soul makes you not hurt people? clearly a fallacy). Giles is ignored in both cases. Principal Wood turns out to be a vampire hunter. Really? So considering the gang's underworld informants, and nightly patrolling, they never got wind of any of this? Why does he have so many knives and axes, and no stakes in his secret closet? And why would he put that stuff in his office where it could be discovered when he could leave it at home, considering it is a day job?

Xander's date turns out to be evil... c'mon. How did she even get him down there in the school basement from the coffee shop? I assume also that she dug all that dirt off the seal. Just non lethally cutting Xander in the stomach did more with regards to raising the vampire than Jonathan bleeding to death? This plot line is just plain stupid. When Buffy goes to Spike's side to see if he's ok (though he can't die from normal wounds) before going to Xander, it is reminiscent of her betrayal of her friends in season 6. She clearly cares more about the guy who tried to rape her than her lifelong friend. She then indicates to Spike that she needs him still emotionally and that he should not leave despite the First having a plan for him. She is so utterly selfish and stupid.
  • "Or what if he is wicked, in which case, is that why I'm attracted to him?" - Buffy "Why go looking for trouble? If it's gonna find you, it's gonna find you." - Xander

In the last episode, one of the season's mysteries was solved - Giles is not the First after all (reiterated in the teaser when we see how he offed the squeaky-soled axe-wielding Bringer) - in this, we find out about Principal Wood just as he finds out the name of his nemesis at the same time that the nemesis might have become dangerous again.

Two themes run throughout the story – things are not what they seem, and some wicked back-to-the-beginning continuity: from the return of Giles's legendary bad flashcard illustrations to Nikki the dead subway Slayer, to Xander mentioning it would soon be his and Anya's wedding anniversary (last season's Ep 15), to Anya washing 'blood' out of Buffy's date top, a stain that is actually Dawn's pizza from Conversations With Dead People. The blood is not what it seems to be, sometimes things are more innocent than they would appear at first sight.

So, taking the lead from Willow and Kennedy, Buffy and Xander are moving on from their ex-lovers and both have dates. Buffy suspects Robin Wood of being "aligned with the First" and "too charming to be real", but it's Xander's date who turns out to be both of these things. Buffy finds a man mysterious and possibly dangerous, so her reasonable course of action is to go out with him to a hard-to-find downtown restaurant. Both Wood and the writers are leading us down a blind alley as a vamp-gang attacks and Principal Wood turns out to be... a Boy Slayer! No?

Meanwhile, flabby Xander (the Reptile Boy days are over) is stripped, strapped and stabbed. He is (almost literally) gutted that he is, once again, a demon magnet, although he does manage to send a coded text to Willow (with his pen1s?) so that Buffy can rescue him. Poor old Xander; he doesn't know that worse is to come, but he foreshadows it once more as he says of his date: "I'm going in blind" (I think the wardrobe people were also blind when dressing Ashanti in a split-skirt and crop-top, although they may have been following the tedious trope of sexy woman=evil woman).

Neither date works, one because the girl was a demon, the other because Buffy can't do without her demon. Spike knows that Wood is his romantic rival, but not that Wood is plotting vengeance, whereas Wood knows that Spike is is his enemy, but not that he might have riled him by taking Buffy out. It's Spike who looks like the bigger man, he doesn't show Buffy any jealousy, he gives the Slayer her space.

Meanwhile, Andrew has had a haircut, a new microwave (last seen exploding in Conversations With Dead People) and a visit from Jonathan-slash-the-First. It seems that Andrew is moving back to the dark side (indicated by his black jumper), but surprise! Things are not what they seem and Andrew tries to fool the First, (let's not go into the metaphysics of trying to tape a non-corporeal evil entity), earning him some bonding points with Dawn as she tells him that he was "really amazing". Although would anyone have minded if he had have done the First's bidding and killed all the Potentials? Fortunately, only Amanda, Lieutenant Kennedy and a new Chinese recruit are involved in this episode (Giles can speak ancient Sumerian but not modern Cantonese?)

Ironically, at the end of an ep that explained Wood and showed that he is on the side of good, we see that he may turn to the dark side after all, as Nikki/The First reveals to him who her killer. We see that TFE is stepping up its battle for souls. It has tried to corrupt the bad ones (Spike, Andrew), and failed as they have both come into the Slayer fold, so now it's moving onto the good people, trying to find the smallest spot of evil in them and working on it. Just as the Scoobs must put away childish things, choosing duty over dates, blood over pizza, and concentrate on the good fight (i.e. become adults), then Wood must put away his thoughts of revenge before he can join the gang. As Ashanti asserts: "The end is coming. The final fight, and everyone is hearing the drumbeat. It's telling us to pick our partners, align ourselves with the good or the evil." There are no more grey areas and those on the rocky road to redemption - Spike, Willow, Andrew, Anya - have to remain on it; they can't cross over to the dark side of the street; there is no more room for blurred lines. Buffy's justification for the removal of the chip fits into this – she can't defeat evil with evil, she has to choose to let Spike choose, to unmuzzle him and to allow him to do good in order to help her.
  • First Date

First Date was a perfect episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode had lots of action, drama, intirgue, humor and the classic trait of Zander going on dates with Demon women. It was fun to watch as Buffy learned the truth about Principal Wood, as he learned the truth about who really killed his mother. Zander went on a date with a seemingly random woman who turned out to be working for The First. I like that the series continues to play upon the characters repeated history. This was a very entertaining episode that moves the season forward. I can't wait to watch th enext episode!!!!!!!
  • First dates all around.

Buffy ends up on a "kind of" date with Principal Wood, though it's not actually a date as it turns out. Xander has a date with some girl he picked up, who turns out to be a demon surprise surprise and Willow's totally been making out with this girl...I mean Kennedy (Anya's words!). And while the gang is off skipping in date land The First targets Andrew again to aid in it's bidding. However, this time Andrew isn't quite so easily manipulated. Turns out he's not so evil after all and he's so freaking hilarious!

Jonathan/First: Oooh. Ahhh. It burns as it ineffectually passes through me. I'm not corporeal, remember?
  • An OK (average) episode. (spoilers)

7.4
    This was a filler episode which had it's moments. I'd rather see episodes like this (filler episodes which are connected to the plot of the season) than episodes (which have nothing to do with the plot) that come in between the season arc. Remember season 2 when before Buffy went to fight in the finale, they've done those episodes with the fish boys (don't get me wrong, those were great episodes, but they've come at the wrong time).

Anyway, this episode was an average episode. The First tried to get Andrew to step over it's side, and it was surprising to see Andrew finally resisting those evil powers. However, it seems like Andrew can't do anything without making the fans laugh. Plus, Chao-Ahn also provided a few good jokes too. Some characters seem to have no purpose during this episode, but I don't mind. The apocalypse is near, so I can't say anything against this.

Xander ended up on another bad date (a reaaaaaaaly bad date). He really seems to have no luck in dating. The story was OK, but nothing exciting came out of this. However, the most interesting thing about this episode was Principal Wood's confession. I knew there was something wrong with this guy. And I can't wait to see what he'll do with the info The First gave him.
  • Xander and the lady demons - A G A I N ?? :D

At first I felt really sorry for Xander when he had all the trouble with the lady demons in the first seasons, now it's just funny and even he can laugh about it. I loved how he joked about becoming gay and wanted Willow to give him the insights... :D

Anyway, Buffy is seeking some demons of her own when potential First Evil accomplice Principal Wood asks her out. I liked their chemistry and especially after she found out he's a freelance demon killer and knows all about her slayerness already. That's always a good start. But it turns out all the chemistry doesn't count, cause Buffy's heart ain't in it. She's admitting more and more how much Spike really means to her and I love it!

The episode was really great and it showed how much more there is to come. I'm betting on a showdown between Spike and the Principal :)
  • Another great and misunderstood epiosode. It has some hilarious moments and we finally found out about Robin's past. Also Andrew gets tormented by The First and we see the wonderful Ashantie as a demon named Lissa. great episode.

First Date

Really good and underappreciated episode. It has many hilarious scenes and character development. We learn that Robin is the son of a slayer who happens to be killed by Spike.

Cut to Giles when the man attacked him but he protected himself. Cut to the cemetary where Giles gets attacked by Spike and Spike thought he was the first and he doesn't understand why it didn't hurt and Buffy tells him that they removed his chip and Giles is upset about it and the new potential doesn't understand anything.

the credits start

Cut to Giles going to Buffy in her room and he says that Spike not having a chip is very dangerous. Then Buffy begins to talk about the principal being dangerous and Giles continues to talk about Spike but she says he has a soul and that he can be a good man but Giles says that she still has a feeling for him. Buffy says that having Spike that way was wrong and Giles hopes she's right. Cut to Xander working and he sees a girl and wants to help her. She wants help for her rope and she needs it to restore her kayak and Xander helps her and asks her for a date. Cut to Buffy in the principal's office searching for dangerous stuff and Wood goes in and sees her and she says she was looking for pencil's and he tells her to go another place and then he asks her out on a date and she says yes and then Wood puts a knife of his behind a white board with full of other weapons.

Cut to Buffy talking to Willow about the principal and she says that maybe she’s getting promoted and he’s gonna kill her and if he is interested that she is because she is attractive. Then comes Xander and he says he got a date and she says that Buffy also has a date. Then Willow asks if his girl is evil and he thinks she is. Then comes Giles with the new potential and she doesn't understand anything. Cut to Andrew in his new microwave and Jonathan as the first appears. And he grabs his cross and he says that it doesn't hurt him and Andrew says he is redeeming but he says that Buffy will never let him in. He asks her to help him and to shoot the girls but only the potentials with Willow's gun.

Cut to Buffy and Anya but she can't clean Buffy's top. Anya is mad about Xander's new date. Buffy walks out and she sees Spike and he says she looks nice. She tells him to go out too and she walks away. Cut to Xander and his date Lisa arrives. And they drink hot coco. Cut to the girls trying to find Wood but they can't. Then Anya tells Giles that everyone is going dating but Giles say that they should stop dating and Andrew is looking. Cut to Wood and Buffy walking down an alley and suddenly get attacked and Buffy fights the vampires and kills them and she thinks Robin set her up but he fights the vamps and kills them as well. And tells Buffy to talk and he takes her to the restaurant.

Cut to Lisa and Xander and she says that what he did wasn't bad in a long run and it turned out good for her and she knows something fun to do. Cut to Robin and Buffy and he knows who she is. And then he tells her his secret and that his mother was a slayer and Buffy didn't know that slayers could have children. He says that his mother was killed when she was four and he says that a vampire killed his mom. Cut to Andrew and The First and he has the gun and Andrew begins to ask questions about Spike and then he asks for weaknesses and The First knows he was warring a wire and then The First gets upset and he says that the biggest bad is angry at him. Willow hears it but they all hear it and then they see The First and that there will be many dead girls.

Cut to Xander tight and Lisa was a demon and she hangs him upside down. Cut to the house and he says that they wanted him to kill the potentials and he tells Willow to call Buffy and the phone goes off and Willow gets a message and it's from Xander. Spike goes to find Buffy and it's Xander and they know he's in trouble. Cut to Robin and Buffy eating and Spike is there and he says it's Xander. Cut to Xander and Lisa cuts him and his blood falls on the seal. Cut to Buffy, Robin and Spike going to the school and they have nothing to talk about. When they arrive Buffy fights Lisa and Spike vamps and Robin sees it and Robin cuts down Xander just before the seal opens and Buffy cuts off Lisa's head.

Cut to the house and they come back and Anya is upset that Xander isn't dead. Xander says he's turning gay and asks Willow to help him gay and Dawn says Clem always liked him. Giles is upset and says that there are no times for fun and games. 'time to get serious'. Spike goes to Buffy and that he should move but she tells him to stay and she needs him because she isn't ready for him to not be there. Cut to Robin's house and The First is as his mother behind him. and He doesn't want her to be there and The First wants him to know who killed her and she tells him who killed her and that he knows him and Robin knows that it was Spike and it says what does he say 'Thank You'.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Giles/Spike: Hery
    Giles: You’re not in pain. /Spike: You’re not the first
    Giles: What?
    Spike: Anya said you were the First. Said you were evil. You're supposed to be all go-through-able.
    Giles: Then what the hell did you tackle me for, you berk? What's that supposed to do?
    Spike: I, uh, I didn't think of that.
    Giles: More importantly, you just hit me. Why didn't your chip go off?
    Spike: Yeah, well...
    Buffy: Well, uh, when we were at the Initiative...
    Spike: There was a choice.
    Buffy: Right. Either repair the chip, or to remove it.
    Giles: You had it remov- You removed the chip?
    Buffy: Yeah.
    Spike: Had to make a choice.
    Buffy: It really is OK.
    Amanda: What's a chip?
    Kennedy: They removed the chip?
    Chao-Ann: I don't understand a word any of you are saying.

Giles: You know this is very dangerous.
    Buffy: Ah, you just heard the horror stories. Wear hoops, they'll catch on something, rip your lobe off. Lobes flying everywhere.
    Giles: That's not what I'm talking about.
    Buffy: You mean Spike not having a chip. Free range Spike?
    Giles: I have to ask- why on Earth did you make that decision?
    Buffy: Guess it was instinct, like you were talking about.
    Giles: I made that up! I knew the Bringer was there because his shoes squeaked. Buffy, it's crucial that we keep these girls safe. I can't count the dangers- the First, the Bringers, random demons, and now Spike?
    Buffy: And the Principal.
    Giles: What?
    Buffy: Oh, nothing much. He was in the school basement, holding a shovel, acting evasive. Plus, he's got that whole "too charming to be real" thing going on. I'm looking into it.
    Giles: Oh, well that sounds very responsible of you. Balances out the vampire-on-the-loose issue.
    Buffy: Nothing's changed, Giles. Spike had a chip before, remember? When the First had him kill and sire all those people.
    Giles: We have no idea if his chip was working then. A new chip might restrain him should the First attempt to activate him again.
    Buffy: Spike has a soul now. That's what's gonna stop him from hurting people.
    Giles: Buffy...
    Buffy: He can be a good man, Giles. I feel it. But he's never gonna get there if we don't give him the chance.
    Giles: Buffy, I want more for you. Your feelings for him are coloring your judgement. I can hear it in your voice. And that way lies a future filled with pain. I don't want that for you.
    Buffy: We haven't- Things have been different since he came back.
    Giles: It doesn't matter if you're not physical with each other anymore. There's a connection. You rely on him, he relies on you. That's what's affecting your judgment.
    Buffy: You think I'm losing sight of the big picture, but I'm not. When Spike had that chip, it was like having him in a muzzle. It was wrong. You can't beat evil by doing evil. I know that.
    Giles: Well, I hope you're right. You're gambling with a lot of lives.

Xander: Hi, can I help? You seem kind of confused.
    Lissa: You aren't wearing a green apron.
    Xander: Confused, but sort of randomly observant.
    Lissa: Sorry, I just mean... you don't work here, right?
    Xander: No. Right. Just helpful. I'm Xander.
    Lissa: Lissa. And I guess I could use some advice. I can't even figure out if I've got the right kind of rope.
    Xander: That depends on what you need it for. Something like functional around the house, or, you know, recreational. By which I mean, for example, boating or mountain climbing- not for tying someone up for sexy, funky fun. In conclusion, rope can be useful in various ways.
    Lissa: I have a kayak.
    Xander: Again with the random. I like it.
    Lissa: Sorry. I need to store my kayak. So I was thinking maybe I could sorta suspend it from the ceiling in the garage with ropes and a pulley or a winch thing.
    Xander: Not a bad plan. You'll need stronger rope than that. Wanna have coffee with me later?
    Lissa: What?
    Xander: Oh, you're the only one that gets to be random?

Robin: Um, what're you doing tonight?
    Buffy: Preparing for tomorrow's counseling sessions.
    Robin: No, really.
    Buffy: Watching a reality show about a millionaire.
    Robin: Well, then, I'd, um- I'd like to take you out to dinner, if that's all right with you. I mean, you don't have to. I'm certainly not saying come to dinner if you enjoy having a job. You know, I may have to make up a document saying I didn't just say that and have you sign it.

Willow: So, he asked you out to dinner?
    Buffy: Yeah. Isn't that weird? I mean, he's a Principal. He's a young, hot Principal with earrings, but he's a Principal. Why do you think he asked me out? I mean, he could be interested, right?
    Willow: Yeah, sure. You're a frisky vixen.
    Buffy: Or, it could be work-related. Maybe I'm getting promoted for doing such a good job.
    Willow: Oh, right, that- that makes sense too.
    Buffy: Or, maybe he knows that I suspect he's up to something, and he's taking me out to kill me.
    Willow: Well, you'll have to dress for the ambiguity.
    Buffy: You know, it's not even that he's acting that suspicious. It's just- there he is. On the hell mouth. All day, every day. That's got to be like being showered with evil. Only from underneath.
    Willow: Not really a shower.
    Buffy: A bidet. Like a bidet of evil.
    Willow: Buff, if he's really interested, are you interested back?
    Buffy: I don't know. He's good-looking, and he's- he's solid, he's smart, he's normal. So, not the wicked energy, which is nice 'cause I don't want to only be attracted to wicked energy. Or what if he is wicked, in which case, is that why I'm attracted to him?
    Willow: I'm gonna wait for that sentence to come around again before I jump on.
    Buffy: You know what? Yeah, I mean I think I like him. And he'd be good for me.
    Willow: Right. Help you move on.
    Buffy: Why does everybody in this house think I'm still in love with Spike?
    Willow: No, I-I meant move on from this imposed super-self-reliance. Let somebody get close.
    Buffy: Oh. Hey, someone's here.
    Xander: Guys, guess what happened.
    Willow: Buffy got a date!
    Xander: No, I did. Fine. Way to steal my thunder.
    Buffy: Sorry. If it makes you feel better, it's Principal Wood, and I think he's aligned with the First.
    Xander: Also, like ten years older than you, right?
    Willow: Which is like 100 years younger than your type!
    Buffy: Yay. Someone who doesn't remember the Industrial Revolution.
    Willow: I think they're gonna end up making out. "Oh, Principal Wood," she'll gasp, "I love your lack of wicked energy."
    Buffy: Watch it, or I'm gonna make you talk about your new girlfriend who you hold hands with under the dinner table and think we don't notice.
    Willow: How 'bout yours, Xander. Is she evil?
    Xander: Well, she's interested in me, so there's a good chance, but I'm hoping for the best. We're going for coffee. She has a kayak-
    Giles: Dear lord, I hate that mall. The shop assistants are rude. And everything in the Food Court is sticky.
    Willow: Looks like you found her some stuff.
    Giles: Oh, hello. Yes.
    Xander: That's gotta be rough. Getting just like pulled out of your home, being told you're a potential slayer, not being able to bring anything.
    Giles: Yes, and the language barrier is formidable. I was concerned that my Mandarin is a little thin, but as it turns out, she speaks Cantonese, which is thinner. But we muddled through, and, as I suspected, ice cream is a universal language.
    Chao-Ann: Like many from Asia, I am lactose intolerant. I'm very uncomfortable.
    Buffy: What'd she say?
    Giles: She's grateful to be in the land of plenty. Let's, um, go and put away your new clothes.
    Buffy: Hey, Will, do you think you can do a computer check on Principal Wood. See if you can find anything out.
    Willow: Yeah, sure. Want me to check your girl out while I'm at it, Xand?
    Xander: Nope. I'm going in blind. I'm gonna be an optimist about this. Why go looking for trouble? If it's gonna find you, it's gonna find you.

Andrew: "Getting the most out of your new microwave." Hm. Nice. "Clock comma setting the, page 3."
    Jonathan/The First: You don't need a manual, it's intuitive. There's a button marked "Clock Set" for pity's sake. What kind of a nerd are you? No wonder you crashed your jet pack.
    Andrew: No, get thee behind me. I rebuke thee. Take that, The First!
    Jonathan/The First: Look, you monkey. Ooh. Ahh. It burns as it ineffectually passes through me. I'm not corporeal, remember. Also, not a vampire, so- a cross?
    Andrew: What do you want from me, Jonathan slash The First?
    Jonathan/The First: I have an assignment for you.
    Andrew: Um, I follow Buffy's orders now. I'm redeeming myself for... killing you- I mean, for... killing Jonathan.
    Jonathan/The First: Really, why? So you can earn a spot on her little pep squad? You think she'll ever let you in? You're a murderer.
    Andrew: Confidentially, a lot of her people are murderers. Anya and Willow and Spike.
    Jonathan/The First: Interesting. And you're the only one she makes seek redemption. Does that seem fair to you?
    Andrew: I guess not.
    Jonathan/The First: You know we're headed toward a fight, don't you?
    Andrew: Yeah.
    Jonathan/The First: What do you think the world's gonna be like after that? Newsflash. There's not going to be a slayer gang anymore. But there is going to be Evil. And as long as there is Evil, I live. And as long as I live, you can dwell at my side.
    Andrew: That sounds nice.
    Jonathan/The First: Your assignment won't be hard. They're just little girls.
    Andrew: You want me to hurt the girls?
    Jonathan/The First: Uh, no, not all of them. Not Dawn, not Anya, not Willow, and not your friend Buffy. Just the potential slayers.
    Andrew: That's- that's horrible. I'm-I'm gonna scream and- and get Buffy in here.
    JONATHAN/FIRST
    She can't see me, and I'm gonna keep talking until you hear what I have to say, so listen up, OK? The girls must die.
    Andrew: I could never do that. All those girls, a-all that blood- I-I didn't like the stabbing before.
    Jonathan/The First: You don't have to stab. This'll be easy. Andrew, I want you to think. Willow brought something to this house- something good, something you can use.
    Andrew: The new microwave?
    Jonathan/The First: The gun. I want you to think hard. Where did they put the gun?

Anya: I don't think it's really a date. That's what I think.
    Buffy: Well, it is unclear. That's why I chose a top that says, you know, I'm comfortable in a stodgy office or a swinging casual setting- or killing you, you know, if you're a demon.
    Anya: It also says I sometimes get blood on my shoulder. Or it might be pizza. I don't think I can fix it.
    Buffy: Thanks for trying.
    Anya: And I wasn't talking about your date anyway. I was talking about this sham date of Xander's. I think it's part of a plan to make me jealous.
    Buffy: Well, it's not working.
    Anya: Are you nuts? Of course it's working. Observe my-my bitter ranting. Hear the shrill edge of hysteria in my voice.
    Buffy: Um, I should really go find something else to wear.
    Anya: Fine, go. Leave me here to stew in my impotent rage. I'm also gonna pee, so you should probably go.
    Spike: You look nice.
    Buffy: Oh, thanks. Uh, traditionally, one wears something over this.
    Spike: Heard you got a date.
    Buffy: Well, it's unclear. I mean, I have this whole theory about a promotion. Or he's evil.
    Spike: Buffy, I'm all right.
    Buffy: You don't have to-
    Spike: What? Be noble? I'm not. Really, I'm all right. Think I still dream of a crypt for two with a white picket fence? My eyes are clear.
    Buffy: Good. I'm glad. Thank you.
    Spike: Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.
    Buffy: You should try this too. The going out thing, I mean. I mean, there's that girl you brought to Anya and Xander's not-a-wedding.
    Spike: Oh, yeah, right. There's always girls who like the look- bad boy, you know. Does it for some of them.
    Buffy: Yeah, I can see that. I should go. I don't wanna be late.

Xander: Lissa! Hi. I was afraid you weren't coming.
    Lissa: You said 8:30, right? Did you think I was going to stand you up?
    Xander: Well, it would be kind of karmic.
    Lissa: What?
    Xander: Forget it. I'm just glad you're here. You're gonna love the coffee. Got myself a redeye- it's black coffee with a shot of espresso. It's kinda rough if you're not used to that sort of thing-
    Lissa: It's hot cocoa.
    Xander: Well, sometimes I don't sleep too good. I just lost macho points, didn't I?
    Lissa: Hey, who wants macho? I like that you like hot cocoa. Redeye, please. Sounded good.

Lissa: And you still have to see her, like, everyday?
    Xander: Yeah, but I guess that's good.
    Lissa: How is that a good thing? I mean, it seems like she never let you forget what happened.
    Xander: Well, it's on her mind a lot right now because our anniversary's coming up- I mean, it would have been our anniversary. And maybe I shouldn't be allowed to forget it. I did- it was a bad thing, and it hurt her real bad.
    Lissa: And if you'd gone ahead and married her, even though you had doubts, that would've been better?
    Xander: I guess not.
    Lissa: Sounds to me like, in the long run, you're both better off. I know it turned out good for me, and that's what really matters, right?
    Xander: I should have taken you on a nicer date than this.
    Lissa: Well, I can think of something fun to do.

Robin: Thank you.
    BUFFY
    This place is nice. How the hell did you do that?
    Robin: I've had a little practice. Never took on two at once before, but I have taken out a vamp here or there. And some demons.
    Spike: So, you're freelance?
    Robin: Hm... freelance- I guess that's a good way to put it.
    Buffy: And you know who I am?
    Robin: You're the slayer.
    Buffy: Right. OK, um, so I'm guessing that you don't work in an office 15 feet above the hell mouth because you enjoy educational administration?
    Robin: Well, I actually do enjoy the work, but yeah. Yeah, you're right. I maneuvered myself into that school, that office- just like I maneuvered you there. The hell mouth draws the bad things in close, and now we're headed for something big, Buffy. Really big, and I need to be here when it happens. I want to help.
    Buffy: So, y-you didn't hire me for my counseling skills?
    Robin: They're valuable too.
    Buffy: Wh-why didn't you tell me about you?
    Robin: I wasn't sure about things yet.
    Buffy: Y-you didn't think you could trust me?
    Robin: No, no. No, I wasn't sure I was ready yet- ready to jump into this fight.
    Buffy: And now you are?
    Robin: Well, now the fight is starting- or starting to start- and I don't have time to worry anymore. I have to do something.
    Buffy: So, you knew who I was before you even came here.
    Robin: Yes.
    Buffy: How? How do you know about slayers?
    Robin: Right. OK. See, when I was a little boy, my mother was one. The one, actually-the slayer.
    Buffy: Your mother- Wow, I didn't know that any slayers had children.
    Robin: Well, I don't know of any others. She was killed when I was four. I still remember her, but it's a little...fuzzy? You know?
    Buffy: Um, something got her... a demon?
    Robin: A vampire. Oh, man, I went through this whole "avenging son" phase in my twenties, but I never found him. So, now I just dust as many of them as I can find. I figure, eventually I'll get him. That's probably why we got jumped outside. I'm not very popular with the bumpy-foreheaded crowd, and I bet you aren't either.
    Buffy: No. Not most of them. Um, so, do you have any slayer powers? I'm sorry, I-I'm just so floored. I-I have no idea what to ask.
    Robin: No, I don't have powers. No super-strength or mythic responsibilities. I'm just a guy with a few skills 'cause her watcher took me in and raised me.
    Buffy: So, you decided to tell me?
    Robin: That's right.
    Buffy: In a darkened, little romantic French restaurant?
    Robin: Um, yeah... Yeah, I'm not really sure how that happened, but yeah.

Jonathan/The First: Did you find the gun?
    Andrew: Yes, it was in Buffy's underwear drawer. She has nice things.
    Jonathan/The First: Show me.
    Andrew: Well, I didn't take 'em, but there were thongs and regular underpants-
    Jonathan/The First: Show me the gun.
    Andrew: Oh. Here. Willow tried shooting Kennedy with that.
    Jonathan/The First: Great. There's gonna be panic and fleeing when you start firing, so you're gonna have to get them trapped someplace like the basement.
    Andrew: And we're killing them because...?
    Jonathan/The First: Because they're the future of the slayer line. When they're gone, the line is gone.
    Andrew: Uh-huh, uh-huh. Um, so why not have Spike do it? He's the one with the trigger.
    Jonathan/The First: It's not time for him yet. You can wait for the next time they're training in the basement, but don't rely on a locked door to keep them in. You'll need more.
    Andrew: OK. Say, um, do you have any weaknesses I should know about if I'm gonna work for you, like, uh, kryptonite or allergies?
    Jonathan/The First: What are you asking?
    Andrew: Oh, nothing, um... Are you- are you made out of the evil impulses of humans, so if everyone was unconscious at the same time, you would fade away?
    Jonathan/The First: You're asking a lot of questions.
    Andrew: Yes, well, I, uh, because... 'cause I'm evil, and I want to do the best I can at that, so I want to... know stuff like when- when do we kill Buffy?
    Jonathan/The First: Are you wearing a wire?
    Kennedy: Wh- what's going on?
    Jonathan/The First: You think you can trick the First? You think you could squirm free? I hold you, Andrew. I made you do this... Jonathan suffered. He was your friend, and he trusted you, and now he spends eternity in pain because of what you did.
    Andrew: No. What's happening to you?
    Jonathan/The First: This is what you did to him. Took away everything he was and left him like this. You started down a road with that action. You have to keep going.
    Andrew: Stop looking like Jonathan. You're not him. You're the First, and you're trying to get me to shoot innocent girls, but I won't do it. I'm good now. When the fight is over, I'm gonna pay for killing Jonathan.
    Jonathan/The First: You're gonna pay for more than that. Do you know why? Because the biggest, baddest First Evil in the world's angry with you.You think this was smart?
    Willow: Wait. I'm hearing something.
    Jonathan/The First: You think you can trick me, women?
    Kennedy: It's not in the headphones. It's out here.
    Jonathan/The First: You only hear what I want you to hear. You only see what I want you to see. So many dead girls. There'll be so many.

Buffy: Oh, my God! Mmm. Oh, my God. That might be the best thing I've ever had in my mouth.

Xander: Look, I know what happens if that seal down there gets all excited. I don't think you understand what you're getting yourself into.
    Lissa: The seal opens, and a vicious feral vampire creature comes out.
    Xander: Well, then you do understand. But, uh, what makes you think that's, like, a good idea?
    Lissa: The end is coming. The final fight, and everyone is hearing the drumbeat. It's telling us to pick our partners, align ourselves with the good or the evil.
    Xander: Aaah!
    Lissa: Couldn't have done it without you, Xander. Thanks for the great date.

Anya: Where are they? It's after 2. I can't believe Buffy hasn't brought him home yet. His slut ate him up.
    Willow: His slut didn't eat him up. And besides, I thought you were all angry at him.
    Anya: My feelings are changeable but intense.
    Andrew: I understand your fear, Anya. I know fear myself 'cause, you know, I, um, I enraged that primal force.
    Giles: They're not back yet?
    Anya: I'm worried. I-I think we should go find them. Xander could be injured or trapped or eaten up.
    Giles: It is late. Perhaps a little reconnaissance might be helpful.
    Chao-Ann: Why is everyone up? Are the flashcard monsters attacking?
    Giles: She says she can't sleep. Um, I made myself some warm milk. You can have it.
    Chao-Ann: You're trying to kill me!
    Giles: She's shy.
    Dawn: They're back! Oh, here they come.
    Anya: Xander all right?
    Dawn: Looks OK.
    Anya: Damn him!
    Willow: What happened?
    Xander: What do you think happened? Another demon woman was attracted to me. I'm going gay. I've decided I'm turning gay. Willow, gay me up. Come on, let's gay.
    Willow: What?
    Xander: You heard me. Just tell me what to do. I'm mentally undressing Scott Bakula right now. That's a start, isn't it?
    Andrew: Captain Archer...
    Xander: Come on, let's get this gay show on the gay road. Help me out here.
    Buffy: What if you just start attracting male demons?
    Dawn: Clem always liked you.
    Anya: It would serve you right.
    Giles: Children, enough.
    Xander: I'd need some stylish new clothes.
    Giles: Enough! Have you learned nothing from tonight's assorted chaos? There isn't time for fun and games and quips about orientation. These- these aren't a joke. This- this happens. Girls are going to die. We may die. It's time to get serious.

Spike: Did anybody tell you about what happened around here tonight?
    Buffy: Willow did. The First is back in the mix.
    Spike: It, uh, it talked to the little boy. Said it wasn't time for me yet. I should move out. Leave town before it is time for me.
    Buffy: No, you have to stay.
    Spike: You've got another demon fighter now.
    Buffy: That's not why I need you here.
    Spike: Is that right? Why's that then?
    Buffy: 'Cause I'm not ready for you to not be here.
    Spike: And the Principal? How's he fit in?

Nikki: You look good.
    Robin: You're not my mother.
    Nikki: I give you a compliment, and you don't say thank you? Did I raise you that way?
    Robin: You didn't raise me at all.
    Nikki: Well, I was dead.
    Robin: So, you're the First. Why are you here? Why now?
    Nikki: 'Cause you've been coming up in the world—taking the demons out. It makes a mother proud.
    Robin: Yeah? Well, think how pleased she'll be when I help take you out. Until it's time for that, I've got no use for you.
    Nikki: Would you like to know who killed me? I know you went looking for him.
    Robin: You don't know anything.
    Nikki: Is that right? Well, you can check it out after I tell you. Check the timing. Re-read what the witnesses said, and the people in the subway station-
    Robin: Who is it?
    Nikki: You met him. You know him. You fought at his side.
    Robin: Spike.
    Nikki: Now, what do you say?
    Robin: Thank you.

My Rank: 9
    Total: 9.3
  • The One Where (Insert Demon Woman Name Here) Falls for Xander

5.9
    After weeks and weeks of arc-heavy episodes, we finally get an hour of pure Buffy-lite fun. First Date has Buffy discovering Principal Wood's secret, another demon woman gets attracted to Xander and a new potential arrives.

The revelation about Wood and his mother, the kick ass slayer Nikki, is a brilliant development. I was dreading it if the writers decided to go for the easy way out and having him turn out to be an agent of the First. We've already had the "principal in line with monsters" storyline before on the show and it would be boring to have it again. Wood has some impressive fighting skills and the cool way he stakes a vamp in the alleyway was extremely exciting.

Xander's storyline was hilarious. I was worried when I heard that R'n'B star Ashanti would be guest starring as his demon date Lissa as she hadn't acted in anything before. Luckily, she turned out to be a surprisingly good actor and way better than most of the actresses who play the potentials. I thought her death scene was extremely freaky. Her true demonic self looked absolutely hideous...

Kristy Wu was hilarious as Choa-Ahn, her pleas of "you're trying to kill me!" whilst nobody knows what she's saying are fantastic!

Jonathan made another guest appearance but this time he was still a glamour of the First. Andrew was hilarious whilst trying to find out ways of killing the First and I was really grossed out when First-Jonathan started rapidly decomposing.

This was an enjoyable hour and the best episode in a while. Great acting from the regulars and Ashanti was brilliant as Lissa.
  • A filler episode, but I think it was necessary. Warning, it may contain spoilers for this and upcoming episodes.

6.7
    This episode is obviously a filler episode, the darker and stronger plot that is used for most of the season takes a break here, and we get to see an episode that's very reminiscent of that of the first season.

Nothing really apocallyptic happens, as the 3 scoobies has dates. I think that the writers wanted us to have some classic Buffy situations between the scoobies before the big (and dark) finale.

At least I really enjoyed the little chat with Buffy and Willow in the couch, it's mostly nonsense, but that's what the show was about at some point in time. What happens to Xander feels really out of place in this season, but is a great goodbye for the silly part of the series (specially for Xander, thinking of what will happen next to him). The line "I'm going blind" is obviously a hint for what will happen in Dirty Girls.

For the part of the date with Buffy, I found it to be a little odd, she suspected that he was aligned with the first and suddenly she has a crush on him?? If I were her I'll suspect that he only wants to kill me.

But even as if it's hinted that Robin Wood may be one of the bad guys, I think that neither of us really expected him to be one. We all were wanting the writers to surprise us, 'cause the whole thing with the evil principal was to predictable.

It's really cool to see Wood slaying the vampires, even if I expected something like that to happen it surprised me. It's also really great to see a man slaying, of course that the whole main line of the series is that the girl has the power, and i love that... but after 7 seasons is good to see for once a man with some power (a real, regular man, not a vampire like Angel or Spike).

DB Woodside is great for the role... I'm a huge fan of Buffy and 24, so even if he's a secondary actor in both series I think of him as a wonderful actor.

Wood was the son of a slayer, a slayer that's been killed by Spike in New York. That sets the story for some major confrontation between the two and is really interesting to watch. You can feel the pain that Wood carries 'cause he lost his mother at the age of 4 in the hands of William The Bloody, but since he has a soul we know that Spike is a demon no more, he's a really good person (like Angel)... so, I honestly didn't want any of them to be killed in the hands of each other, thus the story is even more interesting.

Finally, the whole "gay me up" story with Xander was hilarious. It's also a wink to earlier seasons, when Joss Whedon didn't know ir the gay character was going to be Willow or Xander.

I think we have the gay almost-main character anyway... Andrew is clearly gay, he was in love with Warren and he now even whispers when Xander names Scott Bakula (whom I got no idea who is).

Anyway, it was a filler and silly episode, but has had his really funny moments and that's a good thing.
  • Not a terribly great episode that could have been borken down into the first 5 minutes of another episode

5.5
    I don't know exactly why it was written all drug out and took an entire episode. Not to many interesting things happened in this episode in the first place.
    Yeah, we did get introduced to a new "potential slayer" but again, some other potential slayers are not even seen AGAIN in this episode, where did they go? at least mention that they are "in the basement training" or something right?
    The only thing that this episode does is tell you that principal wood is someone who fights vampires and wants to help buffy out. We also learn that his mother was a slayer and that its the one that spike killed. All that information could have taken 5-10 minutes of another episode where something else EXCITING happens... other than another failed love for Xander.
    Overall, kinda boring?