Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Buffy Comic Compared to the TV Show

Gilda

[1]May 18, 2012
    • level: 4

I haven't read any of the Buffy or Angel comics and I was first wondering are they even worth reading and how do they compare to the tv show? Are they better or worse? Also are the story lines any good?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

watcher1006

[2]May 21, 2012
    • level: 10

Joss Whedon has always been very much into the world of comic books. He's just had a gigantic success translating comics into live action on the big screen writing the screenplay for and directing the movie The Avengers. But live action a la The Avengers does not resemble the live action of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not to me anyway, not ever. I kept up with the comics for a long time until I finally decided that they didn't feel right. I liked a couple of the early arcs in the Season 8 comics such as No Future for You and Wolves at the Gate but my enthusiasm declined as Season 8 went on.

It's pointless to argue whether the comics are Buffy "canon" or not. Joss Whedon is the creator of the series and if he says the comics are a continuation of the series who can argue with that? I'm not going to say that the continuation should be different. But the change to comic book type stories with their unlimited special effects and the limited dialogue of the comic book format, among other changes, is just too much. If this is Joss Whedon's continuing concept of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then his concept is played out for me.

Edited on 05/21/2012 11:17am

Jon_MW_14

[3]May 21, 2012
    • level: 39
    I really enjoyed reading the comic books, but they are completely different from the show.

Gilda

[4]May 21, 2012

watcher1006 wrote:

I kept up with the comics for a long time until I finally decided that they didn't feel right. I liked a couple of the early arcs in the Season 8 comics such as No Future for You and Wolves at the Gate but my enthusiasm declined as Season 8 went on.

It's pointless to argue whether the comics are Buffy "canon" or not. Joss Whedon is the creator of the series and if he says the comics are a continuation of the series who can argue with that? I'm not going to say that the continuation should be different. But the change to comic book type stories with their unlimited special effects and the limited dialogue of the comic book format, among other changes, is just too much. If this is Joss Whedon's continuing concept of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then his concept is played out for me.

yeah thats kind of why I'm not sure whether or not to start reading them. i think its different when a comic becomes live action because you get to see 2d characters become 3d and its really exciting. its kind of different in reverse. so are you saying you just got bored with the stories? hmmm kind of wish they did do the cartoon at least it would be a little bit of both a comic book and live action

Jon_MW_14 wrote:
    I really enjoyed reading the comic books, but they are completely different from the show.

Are they different in how the character's interact? or is it just different b/c they can create alot more storylines/monsters because its easier to draw stuff down insted of doing things on film?

watcher1006

[5]May 22, 2012
    • level: 10

Gilda wrote:
    i think its different when a comic becomes live action because you get to see 2d characters become 3d and its really exciting. its kind of different in reverse. so are you saying you just got bored with the stories?
    It's not so much that I got bored with the stories. It's just that over time "Season 8" felt less and less like Buffy. For one thing there was nowhere near the character development/progression that was so much a part of the show. That kind of thing just can't be done well in comics, and splashy "special effects" drawn in a few frames aren't a substitute for the things you can't do. Comics are a very different medium from television, and the stories for the two naturally play to their different strengths.

To clarify that point - movies such as The Avengers or Ironman I & II show that comics can successfully be translated to live action if you bring together the right creative team and a good cast and if you have a sufficiently big budget for special effects and such to make it all look right. Joss Whedon with his love for comic books was the right man in the right place for The Avengers and I enjoyed watching the movie. But if you could bring together all the resources needed to translate the Buffy comics into live action, you might have a good production or productions but it or they still wouldn't be anything like the television show.

Jon_MW_14

[6]May 22, 2012
    [QUOTE="Gilda"]

watcher1006 wrote:

Jon_MW_14 wrote:

Are they different in how the character's interact? or is it just different b/c they can create alot more storylines/monsters because its easier to draw stuff down instead of doing things on film?

That's exactly what makes it different, they can create a lot more storylines/monsters that would cost a lot of money trying to portray on TV. Also, since each main character is in charge of a group of slayers, they interact with each other less.

Gilda

[7]May 22, 2012

Jon_MW_14 wrote:
    That's exactly what makes it different, they can create a lot more storylines/monsters that would cost a lot of money trying to portray on TV. Also, since each main character is in charge of a group of slayers, they interact with each other less.

oh that kind of sucks and the slayettes are still around? manI forgot about them (season 7 is the season i rewatch the least).
    ok new question are the season 8 comics at least better than the 7th season of Buffy?

No1Slayerette

[8]May 23, 2012
    • level: 9

If you didn't like season seven, I don't think you will like the comics. Slayerettes abound.

Gilda

[9]Jun 5, 2012
    so a ton of slayettes and the main characters dont interact as much..
    man i dont even know if its worth trying now
    ...are the Angel comics at least good?

No1Slayerette

[10]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 9

Well if you're a true Buffy fan you'll check them out regardless Tongue outsome of the earlier stories, like some have mentioned, like No Future For You, are actually really good.

I would like to know about the Angel ones too, every time I go to buy them they don't have the first collection of the After the Fall series so I've put off buying them. Plus I only seem to find them in hardcover, which are a bit expensive for me at the moment.

Gilda

[11]Jun 7, 2012
    No1Slayerette wrote:

Well if you're a true Buffy fan you'll check them out regardless p>

that's so true.

Jon_MW_14

[12]Jun 7, 2012

Gilda wrote:
    so a ton of slayettes and the main characters dont interact as much..
    man i dont even know if its worth trying now
    ...are the Angel comics at least good?

Like I said before, even though the comics are really different from the show, I still really enjoyed them.

I haven't read the Angel comics yet, but I hear the Angel comics are good.