Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Buffy Questions and Answers

BuffyAnneLove

[1]Jul 2, 2008
    • level: 58
    Welcome to the Buffy Questions and Answers thread. In this thread you will find questions and answers to commonly asked questions on the show. If you are wondering something, look through the questions and answers that are already on here to see if you can find the information you are looking for. If you cannot, feel free to ask it and people will try to answer your question!

This is the third version of a questions and answers thread and most, if not all, of the questions have been asked in the previous two threads before. I have updated the content to reflect the second thread's material. The last thread has over 1,500 posts so I thought it best that we have a new one instead of just updating the first post. The last thread got off-topic a bit, so please try to stay on-topic with this one to avoid confusion and so people can have their questions easier seen.

With this thread I have updated the way the questions and answers are listed. The are separate categories for content on the show, general questions and answers, music featured in the show and things found in the opening credits. I have also applied seasons to the questions where I could to try to help avoid spoilers to the newer viewers.

Check out the next few posts for the questions and answers.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 7:15pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BuffyAnneLove

[2]Jul 2, 2008
    General questions on the show

Q
    What is the correct spelling of the character's name, Xander or Zander?
    A
    The correct spelling would be with an X (as in AleXander).

Q
    If vampires have no breath, how do they breathe and smoke?
    A
    While Angel does state in Prophecy Girl that he cannot perform CPR on Buffy because he has no breath, we learn throughout the series that vampires do have breath, just not a lot of it. They have enough to smoke or breath heavy in a fight or struggle, but not enough to give CPR.

Q
    How can vampires bleed if their hearts do not beat? Also, how was Spike able to make Drusilla pass out in Becoming Part 2?
    A
    We can assume that the answer for both of those are related. While we know that vampires do not have a heart beat, we can only assume that they do have some kind of circulation in their body. While it may be minor compared to humans, they do have some blood flow in their bodies.

Q
    What is Ripper?
    A
    Ripper was Giles' nickname back when he was a wild child. When Buffy was reaching its end, there were rumors of a television show with the title Ripper, based on Giles' character, would come to production after the end of Buffy. Although it did not happen, there are still rumors of the possible production going on today.

Q
    Where are the "Easter Eggs" on the US DVDs?
    A
    There are a few "Easter Eggs" on some of the DVDs. They include….

**Season 6, disc 2. While on the main menu, select to go to the episode Once More With Feeling. While on that episode menu, select to go to "Language." On the language menu, highlight "Resume Episode" and press the up button on your remote while having the "Resume Episode" feature highlight. A hidden "B" Buffy logo will then appear. When you click on that, you should then get a feature of autographed signing of the Once More With Feeling Soundtrack that Joss Whedon and Michelle Trachtenberg were present for.
    **Season 6, disc 4. While on the main menu, select to go to the episode Doublemeat Palace. While on that episode menu, select to go to "Language." On the language menu, highlight "Resume Episode" and press the up button on your remote while having the "Resume Episode" feature highlight. A hidden "B" Buffy logo will then appear. When you click on that, you should get instructions on how to access a printable "Call Sheet" for the episode Normal Again.
    **Season 7, disc 6. While on the main menu, select to go to "Special Features." While on that special features menu, highlight the selection for The Last Sundown. After that is highlighted, press the left button on your remote. You should now have a hidden "B" Buffy logo highlighted. After clicking that, you will see the "previously on" they showed on The Gift that contains a montage with clips from all of the previous 99 episodes.

Q
    What are all of the episodes of Angel in which a Buffy character has appeared on?
    A
    There are quite a few episodes in which this happens. These include:
    **Willow
    Disharmony (season 2)
    There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb (season 2)
    Orpheus (season 4)

**Buffy
    Bachelor Party (season 1)
    I Will Remember You (season 1)
    Sanctuary (season 1)

**Spike
    In the Dark (season 1)
    Darla (season 2)

(He also becomes a main character in season 5)
    **Faith
    Five by Five (season 1)
    Sanctuary (season 1)
    Judgment (season 2)
    Salvage (season 4)
    Release (season 4)
    Orpheus (season 4)

**Andrew
    Damage (season 5)
    The Girl in Question (season 5)

**Oz
    In the Dark (season 1)

**Darla
    The Prodigal (season 1)
    Five by Five (season 1)
    To Sanshu in L.A. (season 1)
    Judgment (season 2)
    First Impressions (season 2)
    Untouched (season 2)
    Dear Boy (season 2)
    Darla (season 2)
    The Trial (season 2)
    Reunion (season 2)
    Redefinition (season 2)
    Reprise (season 2)
    Epiphany (season 2)
    Heartthrob (season 3)
    That Vision Thing (season 3)
    Offspring (season 3)
    Quickening (season 3)
    Lullaby (season 3)
    Inside Out (season 4)

**Drusilla
    Dear Boy (season 2)
    Darla (season 2)
    The Trial (season 2)
    Reunion (season 2)
    Redefinition (season 2)
    Destiny (season 5)

**Harmony
    Disharmony (season 2)

(She also becomes a main character in season 5)
    **Chanterelle/Lily/Anne
    Blood Money (season 2)
    The Thin Dead Line (season 2)
    Not Fade Away (season 5)

Edited on 07/03/2008 9:21am
    Edited 4 total times.

BuffyAnneLove

[3]Jul 2, 2008
    Questions on content in episodes

(Season 2)

Q
    What was the first episode where the gang were called The Scoobies, and who first started calling them that?
    A
    The first time that term was used was in the season 2 episode What's My Line Part I.

(Season 4)

Q
    In the episode The Harsh Light of Day, Buffy says that she is planning on giving the Gem of Amara to Angel. Does she ever do this?
    A
    At the end of the episode, Oz offers to take it to L.A. to Angel since his band has a gig there. We then see Oz on Buffy's spin-off show, Angel, in the season 1 episode, In the Dark. To avoid possible spoilers, please highlight after this to go into further detail about what happened with the Gem of Amara on Angel:The episode's name of In the Dark alone could be a hint of what happened to the ring. On The Harsh Light of Day, we see that Spike can go into the "harsh light of day" because of the ring. While In the Dark represents that he no longer can go into that light. After Oz gives the ring to Angel, Spike starts trouble with Angel, Cordelia, and Doyle in his efforts to try to find the Gem of Amara, which Angel wisely hid. After Angel runs Spike back out of town and debates the pro's that come along with the Gem of Amara, he figures that the con's are too many and he then destroys the Gem of Amara.

Q
    What episode is it that Xander and Harmony have their infamous "fight?"
    A
    That "fight" is in the season 4 episode, The Initiative.

(Season 5)

Q
    Why does Buffy suddenly have a sister in season 5?
    A
    We see in Buffy vs. Dracula that Buffy suddenly has a little sis. The following episode, Real Me, goes into a little more detail on our new character. It is not until the episode No Place Like Home that we, and Buffy, get an explanation of Buffy's new little sister, Dawn. To avoid possible spoilers, please highlight after this to go into further detail about the coming of Dawn:In the fifth season, we get a new character, Dawn. Throughout the season, we learn that Dawn is actually a key. There were a group of Monks who protected this key from the hellgod Glorificus, or Glory for short. The key was a ball of energy that could rip through the fabric of our dimension and transport Glorificus to her home dimension. In order to protect the rip in dimensions, they made the key into human form. They then sent the key to the slayer, for extra protection from Glorificus, and made false memories for everyone to think that she was Buffy's little sister, and always has been.

Q
    Where did Spike get the scar above his eye?
    A
    The answer to this lies within the season 5 episode Fool For Love. We learn that in Spike's first battle with a slayer in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion, that the slayer cuts him with her sword right above his eye. So Spike got his scar from a slayer in 1900.

Q
    Why didn't a new Slayer get called when Buffy died in The Gift?
    A
    As we know, a new Slayer is activated once the previous Slayer dies. As for the reason another one does not get called from Buffy's death in The Gift, one already has been called. When Buffy died the first time in Prophecy Girl, Kendra the Vampire Slayer was called. That was Buffy's replacement in the Slayer line.

(Season 6)

Q
    What is the name of the episode where Buffy is standing on one side of a door and Spike is standing on the other side of said door and they each put their hands to the door?
    A
    That scene happens in the season 6 episode Dead Things.

Q
    In the episode Normal Again, we see that Buffy is in a mental institution. Is that supposed to be the reality, or was it really an effect from the psychotic toxins?
    A
    Some of the people behind the episode have stated that it is left open for us viewers to decide which is the reality.

Q
    When Spike got his soul in the episode Grave, did he know he was going to get a soul, or was he trying to get the chip out of his head?
    A
    Spike went there with the intention of getting his soul. So yes, he knew that he was going to get his soul returned to him.

Q
    What ever happened to Buffy's job at The Doublemeat Palace?
    A
    We can only assume that she had that job until getting her councilor job at Sunnydale High School. It is never stated when exactly she leaves.

(Season 7)

Q
    In what episode is it that Buffy confronts Xander and reminds him that he told her that Willow told him to tell Buffy, "kick his ass," in Becoming Part II when Willow in fact never told him to tell Buffy that?
    A
    That is from the season 7 episode Selfless.

Q
    When and why does Spike get the chip in his head removed
    A
    Spike's chips was removed in the season 7 episode The Killer in Me. The chip had deteriorated and was going off at random points, instead of when he just harmed humans.

Q
    Why is it that the Bringers did not kill slayers from all around the world?
    A
    In a few episodes of season 7, Buffy is having prophetic dreams about girls from all over the world being killed by the Bringers, so they actually were killing the girls that they could find, from all over the world.

(No Specific Season)

Q
    In what episodes so we see an alternate version of Willow?
    A
    The episodes in which we see a variant of Willow are: We see a vampire Willow in the season 3 episodes The Wish and Dopplegangland. We see Dark Willow in the season 6 episodes Villains, Two to Go and Grave. We also see Dark Willow as a flashback in the season 7 episode Storyteller. And last, we see a white haired goddess-like Willow in the season 7 episode Chosen.

Q
    What are some of the hints that Dawn was coming before she showed up?
    A
    There were a couple of hints to the coming of Dawn. These include: In the season 3 episode Graduation Day Part II, Buffy has a dream in which she is talking to Faith. They are making a bed together and Faith says, "Little Miss Muffet, counting down from 7 3 0." The Little Miss Muffet was in reference to Dawn and 730 days is two years and that is when Dawn was in Sunnydale and Buffy died. Another clue was in the season 4 episode Restless in which Buffy had another dream, and this time it was dream-Tara doing the talking. Tara tells Buffy that she needs to be "back before Dawn."

Q
    Did Angel ever return to Sunnydale what the show Angel was going on?
    A
    Angel in fact did make his way back to Sunnydale in a few episodes. These include: The season 4 episodes Pangs The Yoko Factor. He also appears in the season 5 episodes Fool For Love (in flashbacks only) and Forever. While he was not in any episodes in season 6, he was in the season 7 episodes End of Days and Chosen.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 10:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

BuffyAnneLove

[4]Jul 2, 2008
    Questions on music featured in the show

(Season 2)

Q
    What is the song called in the very beginning of Surprise that in the dream Buffy has, Willow is with the monkey and Dru is staking Angel?
    A
    The song in question is Anything by Shawn Clement and Sean Murray.

Q
    What's the song called in Becoming Part II that is playing when Buffy and Angel have their moment before she kills him?
    A
    The song in question is Close Your Eyes by Christophe Beck.

(Season 3)

Q
    What is that song that Buffy and Faith dance to in the episode Bad Girls? The song is also on the menu's of the US season 3 DVDs.
    A
    The song in question is Chinese Burn by the band Curve.

(Season 6)

Q
    What is the song that is playing in the season 6 episode Dead Things while Buffy is walking through a cemetery and stops by the door to Spike's crypt?
    A
    The song in question is Out of This World by the band Bush.

(Season 7)

Q
    What is the name of the song at the beginning of the season 7 episode Conversations with Dead People?
    A
    The song in question is Blue by Angie Hart.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 7:13pm

BuffyAnneLove

[5]Jul 2, 2008
    Questions on things seen in the opening theme

Q
    In what episode is it that we Xander stake a female vampire as we see in some versions of the opening theme?
    A
    That clip is from the season 2 episode Phases. The scene takes place in a funeral home where the girl's body is at for her wake.

Q
    In some of the opening credits, we see Buffy running down the hall at Sunnydale High in slow motion with a long blue-greenish long jacket on. What episode is that from?
    A
    That scene is from the season 2 episode, Becoming, Part 1. The scene is at the end of the episode when Buffy is running back to the library after learning that she was lured into leaving her friends and finding out it was all a trap to get her away from her friends so they can be attacked.

Q
    In some of the opening credits, it shows Buffy twirling around a stake. What episode is that from?
    A
    That scene is from the season 4 episode, The Freshman.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 7:14pm

BuffyAnneLove

[6]Jul 2, 2008
    It's all up now. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 7:14pm

buffyTVSrox

[7]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 33

Fantastic!

A helpful job done, and with injuries, no less! You are amazing Holly.

Edited on 07/03/2008 1:01pm

spikemaniac

[8]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 50
    Great job Holly!

elainecleo

[9]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 9
    Does anyone know where I can get a Spike/James Marsters screensaver?

BTW this is an excellent thread. Lot of hard work put in here.

tinka023

[10]Jul 13, 2008

hey, you wouldent happen to know what IWRY means do you?

i see it appear all over in connection to buffy & angel, i just cant find what it means/stands for.

fatfreeoreos

[12]Jul 13, 2008
    • level: 40
    tinka023 wrote:

hey, you wouldent happen to know what IWRY means do you?

i see it appear all over in connection to buffy & angel, i just cant find what it means/stands for.

It stands for "I Will Remember You", an Angel episode that Buffy appeared in, in the first season.

mafalada

[13]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 28
    elainecleo wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can get a Spike/James Marsters screensaver? BTW this is an excellent thread. Lot of hard work put in here.
    Frankly, I have no idea but a quick google search was promising: click here. Hope you'll find something nice. Good luck!

elainecleo

[14]Jul 16, 2008
    mafalada wrote:
    elainecleo wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can get a Spike/James Marsters screensaver? BTW this is an excellent thread. Lot of hard work put in here.
    Frankly, I have no idea but a quick google search was promising: click here. Hope you'll find something nice. Good luck!

Thanks for the link, but the only ones I can find there you have to say OK to lots of spam coming. I was hoping someone was using one that they liked. I have written to his web page trying to get them to make one.

NJZ

[15]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 29
    Other than in the episode "Nightmares" do we ever see a Slayer that's also a vampire? I can't remember for the life of me so any help is appreciated. Thanks

MetroidSA-X

[16]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 20
    Nope, except sorta in Fray (which I'm guessing you've read) with Harth.

asutho

[17]Jul 20, 2008
    • level: 17
    what an effort, really good job with the FAQs, quite interesting, but I never knew that vampires had any breath, but I guess it kinda works...

NJZ

[18]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 29
    MetroidSA-X wrote:
    Nope, except sorta in Fray (which I'm guessing you've read) with Harth.

Yeah, I have read Fray. Thanks for the help.

heathergirl84

[19]Jul 25, 2008
    • level: 5
    Firstly, great thread, secondly I have a question or else I wouldn't be in the question thread lol. I'm writing a fic, I need month/day/year birthdays for all of those we know. So far, if I'm correct in thinking, I have...
    Faith- Dec. 14th 1982
    Buffy- Jan, 19th 1981
    Tara- 1980

That's it, I need Willow, Xander, Robin, and Dawn's birthday. I need at least the birth year if I could get it. Dawn's birth year should be....1984? She was 18 in Chosen, so that should be right. Okay thanks a million.

lennydonkey

[20]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 12

This is a question that I know I've seen asked a lot by new viewers( myself included), so hopefully it can function as a preemptive answer.

What is the best way to watch Buffy and Angel at the same time?

For the most part they are two separate and independent shows and you don't need to watch one to follow the other. But there are a few crossovers and times where events overlap. Too get the full effect watch these episodes as follows:

Buffy Season-4, Angel Season 1

Gem of Amara crossover: B-Harsh Light of day, A-In the Dark

Not a true crossover, but events in one effect the next: A-Bachelor Party, B-Panic, A-I Will Remember You

Faith Arc: B-Who are you, B-This Years Girl; A- Five by Five, A-Sanctuary.

Buffy Season5/Angel season2 just watch the Buffy Finale First

Buffy Season 6/ Angel season 3 no crossovers.

Buffy Season7/ Angel season 4

Final Battle on Buffy heating up Arc B-Lies my parents told me, A-Salvage through Orpheus, B-Dirty Girls

Hope that helps!