Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Buffy VS. Supernatural?

KyahCA

[1]Feb 9, 2012
    • level: 6

My friend and I have this ongoing debate where she thinks that Supernatural is better but I think Buffy is better. This may be biased since I'm posting this thread on the Buffy forum, but I'm sure many of you have seen SPN since both of the shows are quite similar. So do you think Buffy is better?

I personally think Buffy is better because it's definitely better writing, and it's not so serious. I mean, it has lots of drama and stuff, but sometimes when it gets too serious, it's like the characters know it is and they lighten the mood up. It's really realistic in that sense. Plus, it's more original with their demons and "monsters of the weeks". I also read somewhere that the creator of SPN is a big fan of Buffy so it doesn't surprise me that SPN is very similar.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

showinuse9

[2]Feb 10, 2012
    • level: 11
    I still go with buffys earlier seasons over anything. But I'll give supernatural its props it has a certain quality about it

Zwingli4

[3]Feb 14, 2012
    • level: 16

I never could quite get into Supernatural although I agree it is a good show. I guess watching Buffy spoiled me for anything else. That, plus Buffy had a lot more hot looking chicks.

PenguinSuzie

[4]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 10

I don't think Supernatural is very similar to Buffy.

I really like both shows. SPN is more dramatic and darker than Buffy, but it's still got humour in it.

@KyahCA Why do you say it's definitely better writing? I think Buffy has a lot of witty lines and is more of a Comedy/Drama/Horror show, while SPN is more Drama/Horror/Comedy. If that makes sense.

KyahCA wrote:
    Plus, it's more original with their demons and "monsters of the weeks".
    The shows have different formats, SPN is based around a lot of the older myths, down to the traditional legends.

Edited on 02/18/2012 3:15pm

Yaspaa

[6]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 79
    Buffy is not a comedy first and it is better than Supes even though Supes is excellent. Buffy blew our minds and was riddled with emotional content..

showinuse9

[7]Mar 4, 2012
    • level: 11
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Buffy is not a comedy first and it is better than Supes even though Supes is excellent. Buffy blew our minds and was riddled with emotional content..

buffy was considered a comedy/horror show. It's those small dry quips and such that made it comedy. It wasn't slapstick or anything but it made situations funny. Like Xander and Cordelia's whole relationship and how they first kissed. Or even the episode of Pangs in the 4th season with the thanksgiving dinner. You can find humor sprinkled in througout the show, but it is primarily a drama series.

PenguinSuzie

[8]Mar 5, 2012
    I didn't mean that Buffy was primarily a comedy, just that it was a strong part of the show. They are just both very different shows. IMO Supernatural is much more horror/drama than Buffy, and Buffy had more emphasis on comedy than SPN. Personally I really don't think the shows are alike.

Loralee_jk

[9]Mar 7, 2012
    • level: 38

Buffy!

OWNS IT!

eimajamie

[10]Mar 19, 2012
    • level: 9
    Id definitely pick Buffy anyday, I tried getting into Supernatural but only watched the first 10/11 eps, I will give it another go one day though...

Yaspaa

[11]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 79
    In defense of Supernatural, it does stay in the freak of the week style for some time, strong story arcs do develop later on, but Buffy was just laugh your ass off/cry your eyes out genius.

No1Slayerette

[12]May 16, 2012

Maybe you could try and ask this question on the Supernatural forum? I'd be interested to see what responses you get there.

Buffy gets my vote too, but as people have said, they're very different shows. Buffy is more of an ensemble, while Supernatural only has Sam and Dean. Basically the entire Supernatural mythology deals with Angels & Demons/ Heaven & Hell, and Buffy barely ever mentions religion, and obviously has a strong focus on vampires. Buffy is only based in Sunnydale, while Supernaturalis based wherever the hell the road leads them.

I'd have to agree with others that my main gripe with Supernatural is the melodramatic relationship between Sam and Dean. Buffy has more characters, and more humour, that allows this problem to occur less often, but with just Sam and Dean in Supernatural often when they fight I don't really feel invested because it's so over the top and I often feel they've had the same fight several times before.

I have to give it to Supernatural though, it seems they manges to master the art of producing good stand-alone/ monster of the week stories in a better way than Buffy did. For example, in the latest season on Supernatural they tackled the ideas of a fast-food chain being linked to demon activity (7.9 How To Win Friends and Influence Monsters), and a possible supernatural affect of alcohol (7.18 Party On, Garth). Similarly, Buffy tackled similar storylines in the stand-alone episodes (6.12 Doublemeat Palace) and (4.5 Beer Bad) but these episodes are generally perceived as some of the worst in the series, while I didn't mind the Supernatural ones myself.

fayelouise_8813

[13]May 17, 2012
    • level: 7
    Buffy, most definitely!
    I like Supernatural and all, but Buffy was so much better.
    It paved the way for shows like Supernatural, plus, its awesome having such a strong female character on tv!

Zwingli4

[14]May 18, 2012
    • level: 16

fayelouise_8813 wrote:
    Buffy, most definitely! I like Supernatural and all, but Buffy was so much better. It paved the way for shows like Supernatural, plus, its awesome having such a strong female character on tv!

Yeah, the trouble is most empty suit execs at the TV networks and movie studios don't believe a strong female character can carry a series or movie--in spite of Ripley in "Aliens," Katniss in "The Hunger Games," Emma Peel in "The Avengers," also Buffy, and many other huge strong female successes. Hollywood execs are stupid.

PenguinSuzie

[15]Jun 19, 2012
    Recently James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter were in an episode of Supernatural together. It was really good.

tvtome_xena321

[16]Sep 7, 2012
    • level: 27
    You cant compare the two they came from different eras, Buffy should be compared to shows of its time tbh.

paryah

[17]Oct 17, 2012
    james and Charisma? Together again? I'd almost be willing to go through the melodrmatics of Supernatural to see how it plays out?

I think Buffy was a better show, it had more range and it was layered in allegories and culture both high (academia, theory) and low (pop culture references). I stopped watching supernatural aftet the 5th season because I just wasn't seeing what else they could do with the show.