Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

Jen700

[1]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 7
    Apologies, if this thread has already been posted. But i'm curious to know everyone's opinions on whether she actually loved him? Personally i think she did, well definately by season seven.
    Oh and i just realised after watching "Chosen" Buffy's last word was "Spike". Probably doesn't mean anything, but who knows...

(Also leave an explanation in the message box, after answering poll )
    Edited on 08/18/2006 8:10am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

maxpower03

[2]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 42

I think at the start of their relationship she didn't have feelings for him and was just using him for sex and companionship. But as time went on she began to see the good in him, his soul and his willingness to sacrifice everything for her and her loved ones. So, in the end, I think she loved him. Not an Angel-type love, but still love.

websitebuilda

[3]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 17
    Friend-yes

Lover-no

Ruthin4Eva

[4]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    Yes, I do believe that she began to love him during the final season. Even Joss said that he told SMG (as Buffy) to truly be "in love with him" in their last scene together in the finale. If Joss thought that Buffy loved him, then I do as well.

lequericacalvo

[5]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 32
    Jen700 wrote:
    Apologies, if this thread has already been posted. But i'm curious to know everyone's opinions on whether she actually loved him? Personally i think she did, well definately by season seven.
    Oh and i just realised after watching "Chosen" Buffy's last word was "Spike". Probably doesn't mean anything, but who knows...

(Also leave an explanation in the message box, after answering poll )

I think they had more a sexual relation than a Buffy/Angel love.

jfhlbuffy

[6]Aug 18, 2006
    • level: 13
    I'm with David Fury on this one...

robgnow

[7]Aug 19, 2006
    If you heard the rest of Joss' commentary, he told her to 'be in love with him' because it was his dramatic moment and Sarah wasn't really understanding what Joss was trying to get from her in the scene.

Buffy loved Spike in the same way she loves Willow and Tara and Xander. Not in the way she loved Angel or even Riley.

-Rob-
    Spanderverse

MetroidSA-X

[8]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 20
    She did love him. By the end of the series I think she definetely had huge respect for him and for what he had become. I actually think that if there was a season 8 and Chosen never happened they may have grown closer and got together again.

Jen700

[9]Aug 19, 2006
    Ok soooo far, (by the restults of the poll) more people think that buffy did love spike!

******Haven't answered the poll yet?, well whats taking ya ?!******

coolguyx_2003

[10]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    At one of the comiccon conventions or whatever they're called, Whedon confirmed that Buffy did indeed love Spike by 'Chosen'. She was willing to sacrifice many things for him during that last season... I really believe that she truly loved him. It was her first mature relationship (post Season 6).

spikemaniac

[11]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 50
    Well, I voted Yes, definetly, but I don't think she DEFINETEY loved him, but I think towards the end, yeah she did pretty much love him, but I don't think she loved him as much as she loved Angel. I don't think she'll ever love someone as much as she loved Angel.

coolguyx_2003

[12]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    I'd agree with you, Buffy will never love somebody as much as Angel; however, I think that Angel could [and probably did] love somebody as much as Buffy. This isn't the right board for it, but I whole-heartedly believe that Angel loved Cordelia with all of his heart, just as much as he ever loved Buffy. I also believe that Spike loved Buffy that much, and she loved him back as much as she could.

[13]Aug 19, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think Buffy did love Spike but not as much as Angel

spikemaniac

[14]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 50
    coolguyx_2003 wrote:
    I'd agree with you, Buffy will never love somebody as much as Angel; however, I think that Angel could [and probably did] love somebody as much as Buffy. This isn't the right board for it, but I whole-heartedly believe that Angel loved Cordelia with all of his heart, just as much as he ever loved Buffy. I also believe that Spike loved Buffy that much, and she loved him back as much as she could.

I haven't seen Angel, so I'm not sure about that, but I do agree with you about Spike loving Buffy as much as Buffy loved Angel.

noahcrash

[15]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 19
    I think Buffy loved him by the end but she loved Angel far more passionately.

elliottreed

[16]Sep 16, 2006
    I think she did love Spike. I just don't think she realised it until right at the end. The way she looked at him was different to how she had ever looked at him before. I think she just loved him very differently to how she loved Angel. Angel was the love of her life, they were soul mates so I think its difficult to imagine her ever loving anyone else. I think Joss wanted the fans to make up their own minds about what Buffy's feelings were towards Spike which is why he said "No you don't, but thanks for saying it". You're meant to make up your mind up about which one of them was being honest. She might hav just been telling him she loved him because he was going to die or the fact that she realised he was going to die opened up her eyes to the fact that she did actually love him.  It's a difficult question to answer because there isn't any real way of knowing.

elliottreed

[17]Sep 16, 2006

coolguyx_2003 wrote:

I just realised you expressed my opinion better than i did myself. I also believe that Angel loved Cordelia as much as he did Buffy. Angel/Cordelia  was very different from Buffy/Spike.

tramlaw301

[18]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 18
    She did love Spike but she didn't love him as much as he loved her and she definitely didn't love him the way Spike wanted her to.  I think one of the main things they wanted to point out was that Spike knew where he stood but didn't care.  He knew he was second best on her list but he loved her so much that he would take whatever she gave him.  It sounds kind of desperate but Spike didn't care. Spike was not a victim or an immature love sick puppy and they made sure they pointed that out when he sacrificed himself.  Buffy was his motivation but he was still trying to save the world in his own way not just trying to help Buffy. 

BTVS93

[19]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 3
    hell no she would always say how she feels for him or hes in my heart but she never really loved him.even though towards the end of chosen she said i love you she was only being polite.

LordYoshi

[20]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 15
    No, she didnt love him, but she needed him. Like Soinc and Knuckles, Batman and Superman, its a team kinda deal.