Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

grailwolf

[21]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 55
    It's easy to say "I love you" to someone when they're about to die (especially, I imagine, if they're saving the world in the process). I think that she did have feelings toward Spike, but whether she "loved" him or not depends a lot on your definition of "love."

I'm sort of on the fence here, but if made to guess I'd say that she didn't love him in any lasting way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Florencia_

[22]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 18

I think she do...

She doesn't want to be using him...so I think she loves Spike...

o0oTanishao0o

[23]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 16
    Buffy never loved Spike. She saw some good in him, but she did not love him.

fatfreeoreos

[24]Sep 18, 2006
    • level: 40
    I think that if they'd had more time together, they could have worked out they're issues and maybe developed a love that could have lasted. As it is, or was, she did get pretty protective of him, starting maybe around 'Showtime', definitely by 'Lies My Parents Told Me'. I think it could have been a newfound respect for him, for the soul and everything he did. The awkward sexual tension was way behind them, out of the way, and they became more like friends who've known each other for years, got together before they were ready, hated each other, then, came back to town with all that history and experience, and just...were...I'm not explaining this well.... Yes.

NickSeng

[25]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 17
    Of course, there is the fact that Joss said in the commentary the he purposely left it vague, so that fans from each faction can decide for themselves what Buffy felt.

So, yeah. Decide what it is, but know that they're both right.

mattsafreak

[26]Dec 11, 2006
    I think Buffy loved Spike very much. Was it the same as the love she has for Angel? No way. They are 2 totally different guys (Vamps) who she fell for at very different times in her life.

SleepTight

[27]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 36
    No. Not a chance, never, no way, not in a million years, and also 'nuh-uh'.

ISpeakTheTruth

[28]Dec 11, 2006
    • level: 33

What love are we talking about?

love as a friend-Yes she did.

love as a partner-No

Even Spike has said many different times that Buffy didn't love him both on Buffy and on Angel. Even when he was about to die he knew that she didn't 'love' him in that way let's recap.

Buffy: I love you.

Spike: No you don't but thanks for saying it.

What else do you want?

benjym

[29]Dec 12, 2006
    • level: 3
    I thought she just lusted after him until the finale of the show - it shows not that she loved him perhaps but that she did have strong feelings for him...not just lust.

SleepTight

[30]Dec 12, 2006
    • level: 36
    maybe he has a nice personality?

mattsafreak

[31]Dec 20, 2006
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:

What love are we talking about?

love as a friend-Yes she did.

love as a partner-No

Even Spike has said many different times that Buffy didn't love him both on Buffy and on Angel. Even when he was about to die he knew that she didn't 'love' him in that way let's recap.

Buffy: I love you.

Spike: No you don't but thanks for saying it.

What else do you want?

Well...I just re-watched Season 7 ep. First Date. At one point when Buffy is talking to Willow she asks "Why does everyone in this house think Im still in love with Spike?"  (Im just sayin'...lol)

artistical

[32]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 1
    I don't think Buffy ever loved Spike. On many occasions (season 6) she kept saying he was just convenient, and it wasn't love...
    However, in season 7, one could say that she actually did love Spike, but really, she just knew there was good in him.

Their relationship wasn't love, it was infatuation and sex.

fermaldehyde

[33]Dec 20, 2006
    lequericacalvo wrote:
    Jen700 wrote:
    Apologies, if this thread has already been posted. But i'm curious to know everyone's opinions on whether she actually loved him? Personally i think she did, well definately by season seven. Oh and i just realised after watching "Chosen" Buffy's last word was "Spike". Probably doesn't mean anything, but who knows... (Also leave an explanation in the message box, after answering poll )
    I think they had more a sexual relation than a Buffy/Angel love.
    It's not too hard to have a more sexual relationship than Buffy/Angel. When they got too into it bad things happened. And for all of those people that are saying that she didn't love Spike as much as Angel, I think that's because of Angel. Not because she still had feelings for him (although she might have) but because she felt the pain of real love and real heart break, so I don't think she ever let herself fall for anyone that hard or that much again. And I think that part of her did love Spike but at the same time part of her hated him which is why they had so much chemistry and passion. But no one can take the place of your first love.

xxlly

[34]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 6

NickSeng wrote:
    Of course, there is the fact that Joss said in the commentary the he purposely left it vague, so that fans from each faction can decide for themselves what Buffy felt. So, yeah. Decide what it is, but know that they're both right.

I agree...

Actually, I'll go a step further and propose that folks who have had more than one significant relationship (partner) in their life would probably agree that *love* is not the exact same feeling from person to person. 

A *first love* (like Angel/Buffy) would likely be defined by innocence, naivete, and idealism. Subsequent relationships are colored with the experiences of a first love, thus would likely be not so idealistic, but more earthbound...grounded in reality. Not better, not worse...just different. 

Buffy shamelessly used and abused Spike for most of Season 6...and in the end I'm glad she finally admitted some feelings for him: "He's in my heart"

Daisyd2008

[35]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 8
    Not Nearly as much as she loved Angel

mizzbludsucka

[36]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 8
    they only had a more sexual relasionship because of their age, if buffy had been in the situation she was in with spike, with angel then it would of been sexual. i think she did love spike, because of everything he went through to prove his love for her. also how could she not love him after that speech at the end of season 7.

larawen

[37]Jan 20, 2007
    i think she really loved spike ... and if she did't it's not a problem because i realy love him

chasmatic

[38]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 14
    I'm probably not going to say anything much different than what's already been presented, but, yes, I believe that she did learn to love Spike and finally came to terms with it by "Chosen". It wasn't a romantic love, which I think is obvious. I mean, look at "Touched," Spike held Buffy, not to be "with" her, but to comfort her. She needed support and for the first time I don't think that she just saw him as convenient, but as someone she needed. Despite their self-destructive lustings in season 6, I think by season 7 the two forged a friendship, not unlike Buffy's with Xander and Willow.

SlayerChik

[39]Jan 20, 2007
    i think she loved spike but not romantically. Angel is the only person i think Buffy is able to let herself TRULY love.

embee87

[40]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 4

My take on the whole situation is this: Buffy and Angel are soulmates. If any two people in the Buffyverse are meant to be, it is them. That being said, I think Buffy loved Spike, but I don't believe she was in love with Spike. I think we all know that Spike was in love with Buffy though. Buffy cared for Spike, she respected him and believed in him. They relied on each other and they were close. But Buffy's heart will always belong to Angel first. I think that that is what Joss and the other writers were trying to show us with the final episode. Also, I was never a big Cordy and Angel fan. Looking past my personal dislike though, I think they had a similar relationship to Spike and Buffy's. They cared deeply for each other and relied on each other etc. I thin it is interesting how Angel and Buffy really mirrored each other plot wise (dawn/connor, spike/cordy, the last epidodes etc), just with Angel taking the darker twist on everything. They had a lot of similar plotlines and character developments and themes and all that. Little off topic there, sorry!