Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

charmed452

[41]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 13
    i think the love was there, but she should never love spike like she loved angel
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffy_gal101

[42]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 3
    she didn't realy love him but once he got his soul back she saw that he really cared about her so she let herself care for him, I think she wanted to love because he was one of the few guys that truly loved her and sayed. With time I think she could have learned to love him and grew acustom to him caring for her so there would have been an illusion of love or true love possibly. 

a1redjack

[43]Jan 25, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yes, I believe that Buffy loved Spike although it took her till Season 7 to realise it...
    But, I don t believe that she was ever InLove with Spike. On the other hand, I believe that Spike was InLove with Buffy.
    Edited on 01/27/2007 3:11pm

pobostroodles

[44]Jun 30, 2007
    I honestly think that Buffy and angel were eachothers "first loves" so they always will love each other, but it's too rocky, and spuratic, though sweet. I think that cordy/angle love would have been just as good and angel/buffy, if not better because they started out as friends, therefore making it more solid. I think that for a while bufy must have had an inkling she loved spike, but at the end she really realized it, while before she was in denial. I think, in time they would have had a great love, and while buffy/angel will always love eachother, it's nota healthy love, just a passionate first love, that would never realistically evolve unless angel went human. and cangel, spuffy love is better, solider, and healthier.

pobostroodles

[45]Jun 30, 2007
    elliottreed wrote:
    I think she did love Spike. I just don't think she realised it until right at the end. The way she looked at him was different to how she had ever looked at him before. I think she just loved him very differently to how she loved Angel. Angel was the love of her life, they were soul mates so I think its difficult to imagine her ever loving anyone else. I think Joss wanted the fans to make up their own minds about what Buffy's feelings were towards Spike which is why he said "No you don't, but thanks for saying it". You're meant to make up your mind up about which one of them was being honest. She might hav just been telling him she loved him because he was going to die or the fact that she realised he was going to die opened up her eyes to the fact that she did actually love him.  It's a difficult question to answer because there isn't any real way of knowing.
    I think that it is good they made the love unclear, with the no but thank for saying it, cecause otherwise, well, i just woulodn't have thought as highly as them i they had both agreed. Much as i beleive they totally loved eachother completly, i think that line has their entire relationship in a nutshell. That it would have denial in it orever, or unsurness, or idk, it's just un unexplainable feeling.

pobostroodles

[46]Jun 30, 2007
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    I think that if they'd had more time together, they could have worked out they're issues and maybe developed a love that could have lasted. As it is, or was, she did get pretty protective of him, starting maybe around 'Showtime', definitely by 'Lies My Parents Told Me'. I think it could have been a newfound respect for him, for the soul and everything he did. The awkward sexual tension was way behind them, out of the way, and they became more like friends who've known each other for years, got together before they were ready, hated each other, then, came back to town with all that history and experience, and just...were...I'm not explaining this well.... Yes.
    I get what your trying to say perfectly. unortunaly, i can't explain it any better thanyou.

Kadodian

[47]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 23

YES DEFFINETLY . S he has had tons of chances to kill him and she slept with him tons of time and she trusted him

with dawn and the potential slayers. You don't do that If your noy inlove.

petef20

[48]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 22
    She loved him, but was not IN love with him. It was obviously more than friendship, kind of like she cared deeply for him but could never be with him. Not dissimilar to how she felt for Riley I suppose....

Christy1994

[49]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 10

This is what i think: Buffy DID love Spike, but as a lot of you already mentioned, not in a romatice way, it was more of a friendship love.

I think I read somewhere that Joss wasn't going to get Buffy and Spike to be together because he didn't want to give out the message that after a rape, or an ATTEMPTED rape, people can just get back together (or he said something like that)

I also think that the time she says "Why does everybody think I'm still in love with Spike?" doesn't count, because it would give the idea that she loved him in S6, which is not true because their relashionship was all about lust/sex!

I believe that Buffy loved Angel more than anyone she has ever been with through out the series, and I alse believe that she would not let herself love anyone else as much as she loved Angel so that she wouldn't have to go though the pain/hurt again. NOT because she was saving herself for him. BUT if something happened and Buffy and Angel could get together, they wouldn't choose other people!

So considering that this poll is about the relashionship love i voted No!

Edited on 07/02/2007 1:52am

C_Soprano

[50]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 9

I think Spike loved Buffy. and Maybe she was beginning to love him a little bit more then a friend- but it never got far enough to tell- but I think Buffy's heart will always belong to Angel. I know that sounds unfair, but I can't help it. I'm never going to be able to see Buffy with anyone else but Angel.

Spike I could tolerate, i go back and forth about him. But I'd never be able to actually see Buffy and Spike in a long term, deep relationship. True, Buffy and Angel had a shorter time span then Buffy and Spike- but I always thought that Buffy and Angel had a more deep emotional connection while as Buffy and Spike really were just physical. At least on her part. I think that Spike did love Buffy, but Buffy didn't love him - even if she did, I'd still feel as if Buffy would always love Angel more.

Did that make sense? heh, I'm never good with wording....

Postmoderner

[51]Jul 5, 2007
    He was a F*ck buddy who grew to a friend but she didnt love him and never will. its pathetic. the only reason Joss never cleared it up is because he didnt want to upset Bangel and Spuffys.
    Edited on 07/05/2007 11:06am

electricpeppers

[52]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 26
    Kadodian wrote:
    YES DEFFINETLY . S he has had tons of chances to kill him and she slept with him tons of time

Sex does not equate to love.

NickSeng

[53]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 17
    Christy1994 wrote:
    I think I read somewhere that Joss wasn't going to get Buffy and Spike to be together because he didn't want to give out the message that after a rape, or an ATTEMPTED rape, people can just get back together (or he said something like that)

What he said (paraphrasing) was something along the lines of " ... because it gives the impression that it's ok to go out with someone who tried to rape you."

But you ommited the part where he said "that is was different from that comparison, simply because of the soul"

EvolutionJem2k7

[54]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 1
    I personally think that Buffy did Love Spike, I do believe she used him for her own ends of course at the begining, However I believe that she started to have feelings for him at the begining of Season 6, Despite what people think, She knew that he respected her, and it was him she ran to when she was brought back in season 6, Perhaps because he was the one that respected her enough to understand. And because he was not one of the ones that brought her back. I think she loved him in her own way, And i dont believe it was just a love like Willow and xander. It was deeper than that. I am afraid im someone who does not really believe in soul mates, despite the fact its stated Angel was her soul mates.
    I think that she herself was confused about how she felt for him, He never was, She was afraid of being known as the girl who could only fall in love with the dangerous Type. She confirmed that with Riley when there relationship seemed to fizzle due to the lack of excitement he brought her.
    Over all I think she did love him but she Only told him so to give him peace when he died, otherwise i dont think she would have ever actually said it to him.
    However if you have read the book that is meant to come after the last episode, Queen of Slayers. It is stated in there that she loved Both Spike and Angel just as equal in a way (Sorry for those that read it) But if memory serves me correct, she imagined a child, that was part her, spike and Angel. The two "Men" She loved. If she didnt feel that way about spike, Surely she would have just used Angel. Love and Peace Jem

michael_LB92

[55]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 24
    electricpeppers wrote:
    Kadodian wrote:
    YES DEFFINETLY . S he has had tons of chances to kill him and she slept with him tons of time

Sex does not equate to love.

Sex is apart of love. But is love apart of sex? I think not fellow forum-participating-users... I think not...

(Sorry, I'll stop )

JoshSutton

[56]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 15

I always viewed Spike's feelings for Buffy as a crush turned obsession. And i couldn't really accept that they were together anyway. It was just wrong.. it was Spike.. SPIKE?! Of course in season 7 he had a soul, and he could love.But ialso believe that Buffy cared about him in season 7 on account of his soul. He did good because he felt it was right. And she respected him for that in the end. But she wasn't in love with him. I justdon't believe she felt that way for him and i kind of felt sorry for Spike because he knew that...

weareforever

[57]Jul 6, 2007

I think Buffy saw Spike as the only person who accepted her, and she needed him as a support because she knew he loved her no matter what she did.. obviously it took until season 7 for him to be "lovable"for her being an ex-killer and trying to rape her, so she was never going tojust love him overnight.Whether she loved him or not is opinion but I think she would have had he not died, she was definetly falling for him at least.

Christy1994

[58]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 10
    NickSeng wrote:
    Christy1994 wrote:

What he said (paraphrasing) was something along the lines of " ... because it gives the impression that it's ok to go out with someone who tried to rape you."

But you ommited the part where he said "that is was different from that comparison, simply because of the soul"

oops...sorry My bad. Actually I didn't really read or listen to that I just saw lots of people who are 'verse experts saying it so I sorta took it for granted.

pobostroodles wrote:
    I honestly think that Buffy and angel were eachothers "first loves" so they always will love each other, but it's too rocky, and spuratic, though sweet. I think that cordy/angle love would have been just as good and angel/buffy, if not better because they started out as friends, therefore making it more solid. I think that for a while bufy must have had an inkling she loved spike, but at the end she really realized it, while before she was in denial. I think, in time they would have had a great love, and while buffy/angel will always love eachother, it's nota healthy love, just a passionate first love, that would never realistically evolve unless angel went human. and cangel, spuffy love is better, solider, and healthier.

But then again Cordy/Angel wouldn't've been healthier because if Angel truely fell in love with Cordy and experienced perfect happiness with her, he would turn evil. I get how you can say that maybe Post-soul Spuffy is healthier than Bangel because there is no curse that prevents Spike from having sex with Buffy, but it still has the issues of Spike not being able to grow old with her or give her children and all these silly stuff. But love or relashionships aren't all about sex in Buffy's opinion, and I think so because of what she said to Angel in the begining of Chosen, when she told him that there still might be a chance of them getting back together. And yeah maybe you're right that Cordy/Angel and Spuffy is a little solider than Bangel. But none of the relashionships are healthy as long as either Spike or Angel remain vampires.

JalineTV

[59]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 18
    noahcrash wrote:
    I think Buffy loved him by the end but she loved Angel far more passionately.

Agreed.

OdumCarlock

[60]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 12
    Let me Quote an Inspirational Genius for my reply...

Dr. Cox: Good God in heaven, Newbie, there are just so very many ways for me to say this to you: Never; not in a million years; absolutely not; no way, Jose; no chance, Lance; niet; negatory; mm-mm; nuh-uh; oh-oh; and of course my own personal favorite of all time, man falling off of a cliff - "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... Wait for it...