Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

anya2010

[81]Sep 9, 2009
    • level: 1
    Buffy grew to love Spike, and in this way it was a more mature relationship than those with Angel and Riley. With Angel, it was 'love at first sight', maybe some would call it puppy love, others would call it true love. Her love for Spike grew out of trials they faced together and out of friendship. She wasn't in love with Spike but grew to love him, very different to how she felt about Angel.

p.s. the comparison with Angel/Cordelia is ridiculous, the creation of a relationship between those two was an abomination in my opinion! It destroyed the credibility of 'Angel' as a continuation of the 'Buffy' legend.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[82]Sep 9, 2009
    • level: 32
    Angel/Cordelia is an abomination?
    Destroyed the credibility? Angel was better than Buffy.

fatfreeoreos

[83]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 40
    I actually bought C/A a little more than B/S despite my love for Spuffy.

TwistedConverse

[84]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 23
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    I actually bought C/A a little more than B/S despite my love for Spuffy.

I love both equally.

fatfreeoreos

[85]Sep 10, 2009
    I love them both too, but I thought the Cangel relationship was more believable.

spikemaniac

[86]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 50
    fatfreeoreos wrote:
    I love them both too, but I thought the Cangel relationship was more believable.

I agree.

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Angel was better than Buffy.

I disagree, but I'm cool with your opinion. As long as you state that it's your opinion.

Mozart_Eleven

[87]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 3
    On the original topic, I don't think Buffy loved Spike but I believe she genuinely loved Angel.

mendelier

[88]Sep 12, 2009
    • level: 6
    Buffy fell in love with Spike in my opinion. Not at first though, but in the end she definitely loved him.

Lady_Lancaster

[89]Sep 12, 2009
    • level: 41
    I always thought Angel was the one Buffy loved and obviously it was the same for him. I think she cared for Spike, was grateful to him and he certainly helped her through a lot of stuff but I don't believe she loved him in the true sense of the word. He loved her though, I don't doubt that, even if I did find their relationship aggravating.

Jon_MW_14

[90]Sep 13, 2009
    • level: 39
    I think Buffy loved Spike, but she wasn't in love with him.

laydydee

[91]Jun 14, 2010

Yes, I think in the end Buffy was in love with Spike. In the beginning it was about sex but somewhere along the line she started having feelings for him that is the reason she stopped the sex…telling him she is using him and called him William. If Buffy wasn't feeling something…Spike doing the horizontal mambo with Anya should not have bothered her…but it did. Then Spike tried to rape her and that validated to her that no way in hell she could allow herself to fall for him…she actually said something to that effect to him.

I think when Spike got his soul back it softened her heart and it was the beginning of her truly falling for him. The scene in the church in the cemetery where Spike was all crazed and Buffy asked him why he did it. He said it was what she deserved…he rambled in third person wanting forgiveness (for trying to rape her) and wanting to be loved…then he draped himself over the giant cross…Buffy had tears rolling down her cheeks.

Then there is the scene where Buffy wanted to spend the night with Spike…instead of coming out and saying it she said Faith was still recuperating in her bed/room. Spike pretended to be hurt and gave her a hard time. When she turned to leave he stopped her saying that he wouldn't know what he would have done had she gone up the stairs…then they both laughed and Buffy caressed his face all the while they were both staring in each other's eyes. If the scene had continued I believe we would have seen them doing the deed.

Then the scene before the final battle…Spike is in the basement and Buffy shows up…all we see is them staring at each other. Then during the final battle when Spike is on fire…Buffy holds his hand and says she loves him…I think that is when she realized that she did. I think Spike already knew she did and had to get the last words in…it is typical of the banters between them in the past. Buffy seemed proud to let the group know that Spike was the one who caused the cave-in.

I think Buffy will always love Angel…he was her first love but they had a major problem…no sex or Angel will go all evil. Then there was Riley…I think she loved him but couldn't get the passion she needed. Followed by Spike…I think with Spike she got what she couldn't get from Angel and Riley…sex and passion respectively. Besides I think a part of her was drawn to the dark side.

cindycee

[92]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 8
    laydydee wrote:

Yes, I think in the end Buffy was in love with Spike. In the beginning it was about sex but somewhere along the line she started having feelings for him that is the reason she stopped the sex…telling him she is using him and called him William. If Buffy wasn't feeling something…Spike doing the horizontal mambo with Anya should not have bothered her…but it did. Then Spike tried to rape her and that validated to her that no way in hell she could allow herself to fall for him…she actually said something to that effect to him.

I think when Spike got his soul back it softened her heart and it was the beginning of her truly falling for him. The scene in the church in the cemetery where Spike was all crazed and Buffy asked him why he did it. He said it was what she deserved…he rambled in third person wanting forgiveness (for trying to rape her) and wanting to be loved…then he draped himself over the giant cross…Buffy had tears rolling down her cheeks.

Then there is the scene where Buffy wanted to spend the night with Spike…instead of coming out and saying it she said Faith was still recuperating in her bed/room. Spike pretended to be hurt and gave her a hard time. When she turned to leave he stopped her saying that he wouldn't know what he would have done had she gone up the stairs…then they both laughed and Buffy caressed his face all the while they were both staring in each other's eyes. If the scene had continued I believe we would have seen them doing the deed.

Then the scene before the final battle…Spike is in the basement and Buffy shows up…all we see is them staring at each other. Then during the final battle when Spike is on fire…Buffy holds his hand and says she loves him…I think that is when she realized that she did. I think Spike already knew she did and had to get the last words in…it is typical of the banters between them in the past. Buffy seemed proud to let the group know that Spike was the one who caused the cave-in.

I think Buffy will always love Angel…he was her first love but they had a major problem…no sex or Angel will go all evil. Then there was Riley…I think she loved him but couldn't get the passion she needed. Followed by Spike…I think with Spike she got what she couldn't get from Angel and Riley…sex and passion respectively. Besides I think a part of her was drawn to the dark side.

i am of the opinion that buffy and spike made love that night in the basement, when they were looking at each other before the big end of series finale, what do you think?

spikemaniac

[93]Jun 14, 2010
    cindycee wrote:
    i am of the opinion that buffy and spike made love that night in the basement, when they were looking at each other before the big end of series finale, what do you think?

Do you mean this scene from "Touched"? :

If that's what you're referring to, they definitely did not have sex. That was the whole point of the scene. To show they were able to be together in more than just a physical way. To show how their relationship had progressed from casual sex buddies to something more emotionally involved.

cindycee

[94]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 8
    no i mean the scene where buffy and spike look at each other on opposite sides of the basement, after she has had that little chat with the first i think it was.

spikemaniac

[95]Jun 15, 2010
    Oh right sorry sorry, I think I know which one you mean, the "I'm drowning in footwear!" scene from "Chosen"!
    I actually love that scene, one of my favourites in Season 7.

Buffy: You're not him.

Caleb/First: No, you killed him right and proper. Terrible loss. This man was my good right arm. 'Course, it don't pain me too much. Don't need an arm. Got an army.

Buffy: An army of vampires. However will I fight-

Caleb/First: Every day our numbers swell. But then you do have an army of your own. Some thirty-odd pimply-faced girls, don't know the pointy end of a stake… Maybe I should call this off.

Buffy: Have you ever considered a cool name? I mean, since you're incorporeal and basically powerless. How about "The Taunter?" Strikes fear in the heart-

Caleb/First: I will overrun this Earth. And when my army outnumbers the humans on this Earth, the scales will tip and I will be made flesh.

Buffy: Talk on. I'm not afraid of you.

Caleb/First: Then why aren't you asleep in your dead lover's arms? 'Cause he can't help you. Nor Faith, nor your friends, certainly not your wanna-slay brigade. None of those girlies will ever know real power unless you're dead. You know the drill:
    Buffy/First: Into every generation, a slayer is born. One girl in all the world. She alone will have the strength and skill to- There's that word again. What you are. How you'll die. Alone. Where's your snappy comeback?

Buffy: You're right.

Buffy/First: Hmm. Not your best.

Spike: I'm drowning in footwear! Weird dream… Buffy? Is something wrong?

Buffy: No. Yeah. I just realized something. Something that really never occurred to me before. We're gonna win.

It's possible that they could have had epiphany-of-victory sex. I've heard that's awesome.

fatfreeoreos

[96]Jun 15, 2010
    I don't mean to sounds weird, but Spike's head looks huge in that picture compared to Buffy's. I'm just sayin'.

spikemaniac

[97]Jun 15, 2010
    It's because his chin is down, covering his neck. Also James Marsters' head is significantly larger than SMG's.

fatfreeoreos

[98]Jun 15, 2010
    spikemaniac wrote:
    It's because his chin is down, covering his neck. Also James Marsters' head is significantly larger than SMG's.

Well yeah, but it just looks giant there.

laydydee

[99]Jun 15, 2010

cindycee wrote:

I think you are talking about the scene where Spike was admiring the "Trinket" and Buffy shows up in the basement and they just stared at each other from across the room. That was before the big battle. Yes, I think they made love. I also think they made love when Buffy mentioned that Faith was still recuperating in her bed (Spike pretended to be upset and gave her a hard time) and she caressed his cheek...that is love (I do that without thinking) and I also think they probably did it after her chat with the first and she realized that they could win. I think Spike knew she was in love with him even though she was not saying it...the look in her eyes the way she touched him. She finally said it when she knew it was her last chance to...the look in her eyes said it all. It was something Spike wanted her to say but she never did. A man knows when a woman is in love with him.

Something about Spike was very sexy to me. Angel was sexy too in his dark brooding way but Spike...hmm.

laydydee

[100]Jun 15, 2010

06hellopplz06 wrote:

Personaly i think that Buffy did love Spike and yes like every1 is sayin.. much more in the 7th season... i think that at first buffy has desires for him at first (because if you remember she kissed him first) and she went to him when she was invisable and what happend, happend so i dont know (in the 6th season) if buffy Loved him or if she was confused... but in the 7th season, when they just talked, she found the adorable side of Spike, that everyone loves... and she had to keep telling herself no! she is the slayer and he is a vampire.. ya know? and she came to find the less she had him the more she wanted him and then she fell IN LOVE with him not just "in love".. Ya get me?

anyway i think that yeah.. Buffy did love Spike and i also think that Spike did love Buffy too... Even when he was souless!

ITA with you. Spike was in love with Buffy even when he was souless. He realized it when he had that dream, where he was telling her to go ahead and stake him but then they kissed and kissed and he wakes up screaming. I guess to him that was a beautiful nightmare...haha. He hated the fact that he had fallen in love with her. In one scene he even said to Buffy he knows that "this thing between me and you is wrong, I know it" or something to that effect. I think then he became obsessed with her and she did not help matters by sleeping with him. In the rape scene Spike said "I know you love me, I could feel it when I am inside you" or something similar. I don't think he went there to rape Buffy I think he was craving her and wanted to feel "love" from her and the only way according to him was when they were physical. Since she had cut off the sex he was beside himself...in a sense I think he was a little insane at that point. I find it funny that Buffy was having sex with Spike so she could "feel" I think it was the same for Spike. He was never that needy with Dru or Harmony. I think Buffy touched something deep within Spike and once he "tasted" her he couldn't go without her. He wanted her body, mind and soul that is why he risked dying to get his soul back...so he could be the man she could truly and freely love...no holds barred. Sorry for the long rant...

Edited on 06/15/2010 12:33pm