Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

soulspike

[101]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    buffy never loved spike. but with soul spike she felt protected and comfortable with.

angel and cordilea were never inlove but they did have a close friendship, i think they and people confused that with love.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fatfreeoreos

[102]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 40
    Protection and comfort is a form of love and could also be a part of real love.

spikemaniac

[103]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 50
    laydydee wrote:

I think you are talking about the scene where Spike was admiring the "Trinket" and Buffy shows up in the basement and they just stared at each other from across the room. That was before the big battle. Yes, I think they made love.

OHHH that scene! Yeah they totally did it.

SuperSaiyanTien

[104]Jun 15, 2010
    • level: 13

I don't honestly know why people are still thinking that Buffy/Angel were in love. I think maybe deep down they had a clear connection and maybe they do love each other at the season 7 point; but you cannot compare Buffy/Angel to Spuffy.

When Buffy "fell in love" with Angel, she was a CHILD. She wasn't an adult yet, no child can truly grasp what real love is. It's very possible it was puppy love, but nothing more. Spike/Buffy was something that lasted quite awhile, and in the long time of knowing him it's quite obvious she gains a soft spot for him and then eventually loves him.

spikemaniac

[105]Jun 16, 2010
    I definitely disagree with you, SuperSaiyanTien.
    This is my opinion of course, but I very much think that Buffy and Angel were in love, real love, and I believe it was stronger than the Buffy/Spike love.
    I don't think Buffy can even be considered a child at 16. What child has the responsibility of the world on her shoulders at just 16 years of age? Not only is she mature in spirit, but I believed that at 16 years old, she was also mature of heart. Anybody can love. It's like in The Notebook, her parents say "You're 17 years old, you don't know what love is!"
    Angel protected Buffy, comforted her, she needed him. I honestly don't understand how anybody can not see that they were in love.

cindycee

[106]Jun 16, 2010
    • level: 8
    buffy was 19 when she was on angels show, and when angel became human, it was pretty clear that they were still in love, especially how devastated she was when angel said he had arranged to have time turned back and they would forget, not only that but when angel came to assist in the final battle in season 7, she straight away kissed him, and even though she told angel that spike was in her heart, she says she does think ahead to a time where her and angel would be together, so i think that angel is the love of buffys life, but she is willing to let others into her heart.

i think she loves the others that she lets in, but differently to how she loves angel, just the same as angel loves those that he lets in, like cordy, but in his fantasy, right before he gets his soul removed (so they can find out about the beast), he utters buffys name, even though he is fantasizing he is in bed with cordelia. the moment where he utters buffys name, is the moment he is fantasizing that he achieves true happiness.

spikemaniac

[107]Jun 17, 2010
    cindycee I agree with you 100%.

laydydee

[108]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 1

cindycee wrote:
    buffy was 19 when she was on angels show, and when angel became human, it was pretty clear that they were still in love, especially how devastated she was when angel said he had arranged to have time turned back and they would forget, not only that but when angel came to assist in the final battle in season 7, she straight away kissed him, and even though she told angel that spike was in her heart, she says she does think ahead to a time where her and angel would be together, so i think that angel is the love of buffys life, but she is willing to let others into her heart. i think she loves the others that she lets in, but differently to how she loves angel, just the same as angel loves those that he lets in, like cordy, but in his fantasy, right before he gets his soul removed (so they can find out about the beast), he utters buffys name, even though he is fantasizing he is in bed with cordelia. the moment where he utters buffys name, is the moment he is fantasizing that he achieves true happiness.

Yes...no two love affair is alike.

However, I still believe in the end Buffy loved Spike the way a woman loves a man...not the way she loved Xander, which was as a very, very good friend. Action speaks louder than words, I think what Spike wanted from her he got. You know the scene in Beneath You where Spike is all crazed and was rambling..."and she shall look on him with forgiveness and everybody will forgive and love. He will be loved...". I think after a while the relationship got to that point because there is no way Buffy could be caressing his face and hand and laying in bed with him etc. Besides that is not the way you act with a "good" friend. I also believe Spike knew she loved him as a man...not as a friend. I think all the sex between them was left to our imagination. Joss wanted to show how emotionally close they got and at the same time not condone attempted rape.

Then there is the Help episode where Cassie says to Spike..."she will tell you...someday she will tell you". I think Joss put that in for a reason. Buffy did tell Spike that she loved him in the finale. Spike saying he didn't believe her, blah, blah was the usual banter between them. The finale gave closure on things that were said/done during the series.

Also Buffy never let on to her friends that Spike was back and crazy in the school basement. She did the same when Angel came back from "hell"...kept that a secret from everyone at first.

cindycee

[109]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 8
    yeah she definitely loved him more than a friend.

DeadMessenger82

[110]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 12
    that's right laydydee, she did keep it a secret!

but please note cassie said "one day she will tell you" not one day she will mean it.

but come on, how can you argue they didn't love each other by the end. they so did. they fully did. the shirty thing, that's them falling in love, some may argue the end of touched was, we all our opinions.
    have you gone completly sack of hammers?= marry me.
    it was soo obvious.
    how could you have missed that?

who is Dang?

in season seven she needed spike, he provided safty, comfort, an allie, something she was missing, she craved it, she craved him.

unhealthy maybe, but what love isn't?

laydydee

[111]Jun 20, 2010

DeadMessenger82 wrote:
    that's right laydydee, she did keep it a secret! but please note cassie said "one day she will tell you" not one day she will mean it. but come on, how can you argue they didn't love each other by the end. they so did. they fully did. the shirty thing, that's them falling in love, some may argue the end of touched was, we all our opinions. have you gone completly sack of hammers?= marry me. it was soo obvious. how could you have missed that? who is Dang? in season seven she needed spike, he provided safty, comfort, an allie, something she was missing, she craved it, she craved him. unhealthy maybe, but what love isn't?

I don't think she would have told Spike she loved him if she didn't mean it. Remember when her mother (Joyce) died and she was worried that her mother did not know she loved her so she made an effort to tell everyone she loved that she loved them before it's too late...Giles, Dawn etc. I think with Spike her actions said she loved him...she finally said the words in the finale when she realized he was going to die (the look on her face)...she wanted him to know without a doubt that she loved him. Of course it was also Joss wrapping things up...

She also thought of Spike as a boyfriend...the episode of Dawn's first day at the new Sunnydale High...when Buffy was fighting the talisman inspired walking dead creatures in the school basement. In one of her monologues she said she was the sister who had boyfriends who were dead and they were all "hotties".

I think what touched Buffy the most is when Spike risked death to be the man she deserved. She knew he loved her but did not realize how much...that is why she had tears rolling down her cheeks when she found out about him getting ensoul. Isn't it interesting that even after the attempted rape Buffy still wanted to know where Spike went and what happened to him. If some guy tried to rape me I wouldn't give a rats a$$ about him. Besides that she took Dawn to Spike so she could be safe not too long after the rape attempt...of course he had left. To me that was a very strange thing to do.

Edited on 06/20/2010 11:31am

showinuse9

[112]Jun 21, 2010
    i dont think she did personally. i mean even if he did have a soul after not sure how you can just fall in love with your attempted rapist in just a year

evil1janitor

[113]Jun 21, 2010

Willow and Tara were soul mates

Willow and Oz were in love

Xander and Anya were in love

None of Buffy's relationships came close to these 3.

Buffy and Angel was not real love. It was gratitude and need. Buffy is the person who sent Angel on his path. And Angel was the one that Buffy could lean on no matter what. They were each other's first love. But if you look at their chemistry, it was just that. A first love of two people who didn't know who they were yet and who needed each other. Buffy stated it best with the cookie dough analogy in the finale. I think that a time may come when they find out who they are, and then true love could happen. Because, while they weren't ready for true love at the time, there was definitely something strong there.

Buffy and Riley was more obvious. Given time, she could have loved him, but he would always love her more which would make anything she did not enough

Buffy and Spike was nothing in season 6 other than an outlet for Buffy's depression. At least in Buffy's case. It was more complicated for Spike because I don't think that a vampires can feel love. They can feel strong attraction and connection and in Spike's case, a small note of forced compassion, but it wasn't until Spike got his soul that anything real could develop for either of them. I think that something was starting between them once he was ensouled but Buffy would definitely need more time to love Spike. There's no doubt that he was in her heart, but I don't think her love for him was possible yet.

As for Angel and Cordelia. I felt that they had something strong but was never played out to its fullest. It was definitely something more solid than Angel and Buffy and I think was the groundwork for love.

Overall. I'd like to see Buffy and Angel work past all of their issues and get together. Partially because I think Spike belongs with an ensouled Drusilla. And lets face it, that would be the most entertaining thing in tv history.

P.s Willow and Kennedy SUCKED

evil1janitor

[114]Jun 21, 2010

sorry, I kind of stepped away from the topic, but I was bored.

spikemaniac

[115]Jun 21, 2010
    evil1janitor wrote:
    I think Spike belongs with an ensouled Drusilla. And lets face it, that would be the most entertaining thing in tv history.

Hells yeah.

Generally, I disagree with almost everything you said BUT... you do make good points for your reasonings and I'm not gonna try to debate my argument any further because I can't think of a way to contradict yours.

fatfreeoreos

[116]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 40
    spikemaniac wrote:
    evil1janitor wrote:
    I think Spike belongs with an ensouled Drusilla. And lets face it, that would be the most entertaining thing in tv history.

Hells yeah.

Hahaha. God, I can't imagine what Dru would be like with a soul.

laydydee

[117]Jun 21, 2010

I think there is a vast difference between Angel and Spike. Spike showed more human traits...even when he was soulless.

1. Angel's soul was forced on him by the gypsies as punishment...he never wanted it. Spike got his soul back to get the girl/woman (Buffy).

2. As a soulless vamp Angel(us) was always vicious...taunt, kill etc. Angel would not be atoning for his sins if it had not been for the curse. As a soulless vamp Spike had his bad moments but he also did good...caring for Dawn, keeping the identity of the "key" from Glory, helping out the Scooby gang etc. I don't think a soulless Angel would have taken care of Dawn...do you?

3. Spike watched soap opera (Passions), he gambled, he drank alcohol, he smoked, he ate others things besides drinking blood...heck he used burba weed to make his blood drinks hot and spicy. Spike even brought flowers to Buffy's house when Joyce died. He brought a date to Anya and Xander's wedding to make Buffy jealous. The way he dressed like a rocker...blond hair, black nail polish etc. We saw a lot of his buffed body.

Those are some of the traits I think differentiate Spike from Angel and they make him more endearing. Overall I think Spike was the better man/vamp and he deserved Buffy's love.

I am not sure how Angel and Buffy could have a future without making love. For them making love would result in the evil, twisted, bada$$ Angelus.

DeadMessenger82

[118]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 12
    yeah well for a while there Angel was supposed to turn human after a few seasons or something, that would remove the curse apparently... not quite sure why or how but there you go. so there was a chance of some sexxy time with Angel. future ect.

but honestly her's and spike's relationship is the only one i could see lasting any substantial length of time.

buffy and riley are just retarded (i won't go into it now, maybe later)
    angel and buffy are just doomed ... and also kind of retarded (yet i love them)

meanwhile buffy and spike, while being potentially very sick and desturbing, kind of actually work, a little... sort of.

true love?? not quite sure what that means, but she definatly loves him and he definatly loves her. And he would go to end of the earth to please her, while angel chose misery over a quickfix happily-ever-after happy buffy.
    not sure if him being her slave(i realise i'm exaggerating) is a good thing but it is worth noting.

who's the better man? the man who follows his heart or the man that does the right thing?

But when it comes down to a question of who she loved most, you have to say angel, that'll stay. spuffy feelings will fade.

sorry i'm rambling, i have an exam tommorow, i ramble when i have an exam tomorrow.

rockworm5039

[119]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    I was on the fence between Spuffy and Bangel for the longest time... then something clicked with me during my last rewatch.
    It was halfway through season 7 when it occured to me that if Buffy didn't love Spike to at least some degree she wouldn't give a rats ass about what happened to him.
    I'm now convinced she was in love with him long before he got his soul... she was just in denial about it.

spikemaniac

[120]Jun 22, 2010
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    if Buffy didn't love Spike to at least some degree she wouldn't give a rats ass about what happened to him.
    I'm now convinced she was in love with him long before he got his soul... she was just in denial about it.

Well... you could say she cared about him before he got his soul. But I mean, I give a rat's ass about what happens to a lot of people that I'm not in love with. Caring about someone and being in love with them is different here.