The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

rockworm5039

[121]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 9
    spikemaniac wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    if Buffy didn't love Spike to at least some degree she wouldn't give a rats ass about what happened to him.
    I'm now convinced she was in love with him long before he got his soul... she was just in denial about it.

Well... you could say she cared about him before he got his soul. But I mean, I give a rat's ass about what happens to a lot of people that I'm not in love with. Caring about someone and being in love with them is different here.

why would she come to care about a "filthy soulless demon?" I'm not sure when it happened but I think the woman protesteth too much about it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

laydydee

[122]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 1

rockworm5039 wrote:
    spikemaniac wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    if Buffy didn't love Spike to at least some degree she wouldn't give a rats ass about what happened to him. I'm now convinced she was in love with him long before he got his soul... she was just in denial about it.
    Well... you could say she cared about him before he got his soul. But I mean, I give a rat's ass about what happens to a lot of people that I'm not in love with. Caring about someone and being in love with them is different here.
    why would she come to care about a "filthy soulless demon?" I'm not sure when it happened but I think the woman protesteth too much about it.

I agree. She even trusted Spike with her family...she had no qualms taking Joyce and Dawn to Spike's crypt for safekeeping.

I think she was falling for him during the violent sexcapades...that is why she broke off the sex...saying she was using him and it was killing her. I am of the belief that two people cannot keep having sex without one or both falling. During the breakup she called him William. The attempted rape was a figurative slap in the face...basically for her to keep her feelings in check...he is soulless. Then she gets upset when he does the nasty with Anya.

Last night I watched a re-run of Potential...she kept slipping up. The one scene where she asks Spike to attack her for demonstration and she ends up straddling him...he is hurt due to the torture by the Turok-Han so he winces. For a few moments her only concern was him...insisting on seeing what was wrong...lifting his shirt even though Spike said he was okay. It was as though they were the only two in the world at that time...the potential said it best..."that is hot". Then when Spike was trying to describe what kind of place (crypt) he had...without hesitation Buffy jumped in with comfy...bringing additional question and looks from the potentials.

spikemaniac

[123]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 50
    Hmm. All right, fair enough.

fatfreeoreos

[124]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 40
    I concur.

laydydee

[125]Jun 23, 2010

So I have watched a few more re-runs and I have come to the conclusion that ensouled Spike does not think he is worthy of Buffy's love. Since getting his soul back Spike has talked about self-loathing...so if he cannot love himself...how can Buffy love him. Remembering all the bad stuff he has done really messed him up. In his haste to get his soul back he didn't think about all the consequences...since his main goal was to get the girl. I think that is why when Buffy says to him in the finale I love you...he replies "no you don't...but thanks for saying it". However, I think he knew she loved him...she showed it at every turn...he just couldn't understand why she would.

Soulless Spike was so sure Buffy would crave him, want him, love him...blah, blah, blah. I guess in some ways the joke was on him once he got his soul back.

DeadMessenger82

[126]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 12
    i agree with that
    =]

laydydee

[127]Jul 3, 2010

Wow...so I have recently rewatched the finale with a critical eye and I have a different take on "no you don't...thanks for saying it".

I think the moment they clasp hands they both knew without a shadow of a doubt that Buffy was in love with Spike. Prior to the hands clasping Buffy was concerned and panicked and was trying to convince Spike that he had done enough and they could leave. Spike was staring at Buffy. The moment their hands meet you see Spike's eyes go to their hands...Buffy takes a gulp/big swallow and the panicked expression on her face goes away...their hands are in flames (symbolic for their souls coming together) and with tears in her eyes Buffy says "I love you" to Spike. Spike pulled a Buffy when he said "no you don't"...Buffy has used those exact words in the past when Spike professed his love for her even though she knew damn well he was in love with her. Then he thanks her for saying it...it was something he wanted to hear for so long...but at that moment it was not necessary for her to say it...they were both feeling it. I think Spike did not leave because he was finally the man she believed him to be...her champion...her hero...the man she was in love with. He had always said he would die for her and that was his chance to do so knowing full well that she loved him...not as a friend but the way a woman loves a man. I also think Buffy would have stayed with him till the end if they had not been forced apart and Spike had not said "now, go". I think he wanted one of them to live...he had mentioned that in a prior episode.

fatfreeoreos

[128]Jul 4, 2010
    I agree.

laydydee

[129]Jul 7, 2010

I have come to the conclusion that Buffy chose Spike and was in love with him even if she didn't realize it until the flaming clasped hands. It was all there in colour for us to see. When Angel delivered the amulet if he was the love of Buffy's life why didn't they spend the night together? Sex was out but they could have spent the night or at least a few hours in each other's arms like she did with Spike the night before. I mean she hadn't seen Angel in a while and was about to face the badass First evil and could potentially lose her life. Shouldn't she have wanted to be with Angel one last time? Instead she tells Angel some cookie dough crap and sends him on his way then goes home to Spike where I deduce they made love based on what the First as Caleb said...."why aren't you asleep in your dead lovers' arms". He didn't say dead ex lover or dead former lover. Also she wouldn't let Spike leave when he wanted to...saying "I am not ready for you to not be here". She didn't have a problem letting Angel leave..."the love of her life"...hmm.

fatfreeoreos

[130]Jul 13, 2010
    She did!

SerajBrugi

[131]Aug 26, 2010
    • level: 4

No.

Buffy never loved Spike, he caused her too much pain for her to ever forgive him. And in the series finale, Spike made it clear he knew that Buffy didn't love him, and her true love is Angel.

fatfreeoreos

[132]Aug 26, 2010
    Love isn't always healthy. They have have been really bad for each other in season six, but it's a complex thing.

DeadMessenger82

[133]Aug 27, 2010
    she loved him. that's a fact.

she believed she did, isn't that the requirement?

to go any further you have to delve into what love or true love (which is a load of crap, it's right up there with 'blackhead clearing' cleanser") actually is. the very definition of the thing, is that something that can be summed up in a buffy forum(best forum on the web) post?

she loved him, she did, let it go.

.... and joss even said so, so there!

spikemaniac

[134]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 50
    I will ask Joss when I see him this Sunday.

DeadMessenger82

[135]Aug 27, 2010
    spikemaniac wrote:

*insert me screaming*

fatfreeoreos

[136]Aug 27, 2010
    spikemaniac wrote:
    I hate you....

But you know I really love you right?

fatfreeoreos

[137]Aug 27, 2010
    DeadMessenger82 wrote:
    to go any further you have to delve into what love or true love (which is a load of crap, it's right up there with 'blackhead clearing' cleanser") actually is.

alirk

[138]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 22

Having just watched the finale a little over a week ago, I believe that Buffy grew to truly love Spike by the end...And, I think she actually had some sort of love for him for several seasons. Why else would she have kept him around?

fatfreeoreos

[139]Aug 27, 2010
    Cause he's a hottie and a great fighter. He protects the people he cares about fiercely, which is a very good quality. I would trust him just seeing him with Drusilla.

SuperSaiyanTien

[140]Aug 27, 2010
    • level: 13

Anybody who claims that Buffy did not love Spike is either in denial or an Angel/Buffy shipper.

First off, we can go back to the beginning with Buffy/Angel. You cannot call what Buffy and Angel had true love, Buffy was a child, not even 18 when they were together. What kid knows what real love is? They don't. Buffy will always have a soft spot for Angel because he was her first, her first ever sexual experience. Ask any woman and they will tell you that you always have a soft spot when it comes to your first, because you share a once in a lifetime magical experience with that person.

Buffy and Angel had a selfish love, neither could truly express how they felt, without the other over-reacting and getting all offensive/huffy. Buffy couldn't have her emotional needs satisfied because Angel couldn't give her the things she needed, Angel couldn't have his perfect idea of a relationship either.

The last nail in the coffin is that Buffy and Angel cannot have sex, and they've proven that they cannot be in the room together without wanting to have sex, thus putting everyone around them in danger. Their relationship was just romeo-and-juliet love.

Riley got only the physical side of Buffy, she always held back from him; that's why he left. But Spike? Spike got everything from Buffy. She opened up to him more times that she opened up to her own friends, not to mention that she eventually did give in and had sex with him, showing that she was certainly attracted to him. Buffy and Spike know eachother better than anybody else in the world, and it showed.

The last words that they had together, showed how much they truly did care. Spike got the words that he was dying to hear, but knowing how much it would kill Buffy to love him and lose him, told her that she didn't mean it. Buffy finally allowed herself to love him, especially knowing that he wouldn't be there, because he finally proved in her eyes that he was the perfect guy for her, the one who truly loved her enough to give everything up for her.