Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Did Buffy really love Spike?

Did Buffy love Spike

talielle

[161]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 4

By the end of season 7i would say yes!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Monkeykoala1

[162]Nov 27, 2011
    • level: 1

I personally choose to believe that in the seventh season she truly loved him. No matter how dangerous he got, Buffy refused to kill him or let him leave town. And in the last few episodes of the series they really connected and she finally let her guard down to let someone in. In the beggining of the relationship she completely used him, but then she began to have feelings for him. For the longest time, Buffy cut herself off after her breakup with Angel, but Spike was the first one that she was able to get close to. Spike chose to believe that she was just telling him what he waanted to hear and that she loved Angel more, but i disagree.

LeytonTLA

[163]Nov 30, 2011
    • level: 16
    her true love and soul mate was angel, but she definitely loved spike, he brought out different things in her, they had a completely different type of relationship, i hated that they brought angel back and had the whole yeah i can smell spike all over you or whatever and even then she basically said she loved angel more than anyone in the wolrd but she was also in love with spike, she would of returned to angel in the end i dont care ,.... bangel! i do love spuffy though james marsters is gorgeous! thats not just why i love spuffy!

nefeli2

[164]Jan 3, 2012

after re- watching the series i would say definetely yes!in season 6 she tries to hide the feelings she has for him because she is so ashamed ,she doesnt love him but even if she is falling for him she wouldnt admit it to anyone or even to herself.in season 7 after spike gets his soul back for her they develop a different kind of relationship she begins to trust him to "believe in him" and as Giles told her she relies on spike and spike relies on her so this is about when buffy is falling in love with spike and i think it happens before Chosen but only then when spike is about to save the world she realises it and says "i love you"

please excuse my english they are not my mother language!Laughing

ErinNavan

[165]Feb 14, 2012
    First shortly - Yes!

Than, just a bit more in detail... by the concept "soulmate" is reciprocal, therefore a highly rare thing and NOT what existet between Buffy and Angel. When we get new angle from watching Angel series and when we sit down and do the math, realizing that Buffy was 16 when she fell in love with Angel, and that he was her first love, we also shoudl realize that by the age of 16 people in general are not emotionaly mature, and there is no reason for a Slayer to be exception from that. Angel was her first love, and we all know how painfull that could be. But, I'd dare to put my money on the fact that Angel loved Cordelia even more than Buffy... But he has been blessed (and I am not joking with that) with his tragical destiny of not being able to have a real relationship, therefore he becomes someone that brings compasion in people. Buffy loved him, but she loved him even more ebcause she couldn't have fully fullfiling relationship with him. She couldn't put him behind, because they really never had any chance.

But, she was with Spike, even when he was soulless, and even than she had feelings for him.
    When he came with soul, when she managed to meet real combination... she was still blinded with all Angel-stuff... but was able to connect with Spike on new levels. In the mean time she was growing, maturing emotionally, too, and in the last few evenings before the battle, I think that was the very first time Buffy started to love as a grown up. And she realized that only when she said it, but late, or almost-late realization doesn't mean she didn't realize. To use her own expression... she became cookie

When Spike says "You don't, but thanks for saying" I tend to believe that he just do not dare to believe. So, that is not some high knowledge he has, but disbelif normal considering the entire situation.

I firmly believe that... (Angel, season 5) if she realy was in Rome with Immortal and two of them showed up, she would go with Spike.
    Actuallym I firmly believe than, after the Chosen episode, under any circumstances she would chose him.

Stellar

[166]Feb 28, 2012

I look at my own past relationships and I know people are capable of loving more than one person in a lifetime. Spike obviously loved Buffy on many levels. Buffy loved Spike, but didn't want to admit it to herself or anyone else for that matter. She was always trying to figure out what was right and wrong. Spike was introduced to her as an evil being who wanted to kill her, so he was labeled "wrong." Spike had to work hard to reverse her opinion of him. Buffy wanted it to work with Riley because she thought of him as a good stable man. Buffy didn't love Riley. As Spike says, love "is blood working its will." On those occasions when Buffy was feeling disconnected from the Scoobies or her family, Spike was there for her. He understood her and could cheer her up when others were being so damned serious. I wished that the writers would have let the Spike/Buffy relationship go for more episodes to see if it would have worked out. Besides super strength, fighting, witty banter, and saving the world, what did they have in common? They would have had a great couple of years and then agreed to go their separate ways. If he had not been killed, he would have been the best boyfriend for her at that time. After Spike came back and lived in Angel's world for a season, it would be awkward to get them together again. Not impossible, but difficult.

_LiSa_01

[167]Jul 4, 2012

This is to all the people that say she didn´t love him, if she didn´t love him (since season 6 when everybody claims she was just using him and blah,blah) she wouldn´t have given a damn when she saw spike with anya on that camera, but she did, SO MUCH that actually Dawn figured it out. When you don´t love somebody you just don´t give a shit who they´re sleeping with, that´s it, nothing else to say.

papitsa

[169]Feb 20, 2013
    • level: 3

nefeli2 wrote:

after re- watching the series i would say definetely yes!in season 6 she tries to hide the feelings she has for him because she is so ashamed ,she doesnt love him but even if she is falling for him she wouldnt admit it to anyone or even to herself.in season 7 after spike gets his soul back for her they develop a different kind of relationship she begins to trust him to "believe in him" and as Giles told her she relies on spike and spike relies on her so this is about when buffy is falling in love with spike and i think it happens before Chosen but only then when spike is about to save the world she realises it and says "i love you"

please excuse my english they are not my mother language!Laughing

Couldn't have pinpointed the stages of her love development better myself.I really really couldn't

Affy

[170]Jul 23, 2013
    • level: 2

no i dont think she loved him, i think she wanted to love him.

She truly loved Angel!! theres no question about it. The whole Buffy and Angel series did revolve around their relationship. They had intense love like Heathcliff and Catherine love. In the series finale i think it was abit ambiguous but Buffy did show that she still loves Angel.

Im 100% for Angel and Buffy...Joss Whedon if your reading this please do a sequel to Buffy with the same cast or at least david boreanaz and sarah michelle gellar and have them clearly end up together no hint or hidden messages...just straight forward stuff!!...thanks, appreciate it.

Buffy and Angel all the way.

Sci-FiLover22

[171]Jul 23, 2013
    • level: 3

for me let me give you how i feel on everyone she dated,

angel,you got to remember she was 16 when she fall in love with him.yes buffy love angel very much but that wasnt the lover of her life.angel was someone that showed buffy what love was and that was it.angel is more suited with cordelia than buffy.cordelia and angel had tons more chemistry than buffy and angel ever had.so i honestly feel like even tho buffy and angel loved eachother.buffy and angel had other loves to go for.angel with cordelia(i thouhgt i would never say that but cordelia did alot of growing up in angel)and buffy with spike

parker and riley was just rebound.buffy was so into getting over angel she just went for parker.and with riley they had a longer relationship but it was never love.

spike is very isntersting.at first all buffy did was use him for sex and that was it mostly b/c she was so cut off from the world in s6.but i think once spike got his soul buffy and spike become something more than what buffy had with angel or even riley.spike is the first person buffy didnt just push away.i do believe buffy loved spikefrom everything she did for spike in s7 but i dont think spike believe buffy when she said i love u.

so yes buffy did love spike.

showinuse9

[172]Sep 11, 2013
    • level: 11
    Sci-FiLover22 wrote:

for me let me give you how i feel on everyone she dated,

angel,you got to remember she was 16 when she fall in love with him.yes buffy love angel very much but that wasnt the lover of her life.angel was someone that showed buffy what love was and that was it.angel is more suited with cordelia than buffy.cordelia and angel had tons more chemistry than buffy and angel ever had.so i honestly feel like even tho buffy and angel loved eachother.buffy and angel had other loves to go for.angel with cordelia(i thouhgt i would never say that but cordelia did alot of growing up in angel)and buffy with spike

parker and riley was just rebound.buffy was so into getting over angel she just went for parker.and with riley they had a longer relationship but it was never love.

spike is very isntersting.at first all buffy did was use him for sex and that was it mostly b/c she was so cut off from the world in s6.but i think once spike got his soul buffy and spike become something more than what buffy had with angel or even riley.spike is the first person buffy didnt just push away.i do believe buffy loved spikefrom everything she did for spike in s7 but i dont think spike believe buffy when she said i love u.

so yes buffy did love spike.

you forgot that immortal guy she dated during the last season of Angel
    I think that cookie dough analogy she used in the show was accurate. She wasn't done baking so I don't think any of the guys was the perfect guy for her. Angel was like the Justin Beiber crush I think. Everyone else was more convenience than real love

talielle

[173]Dec 24, 2013
    I actually always felt that Buffy loved Angel more than Angel loved Buffy and Spike loved Buffy more than she loved him. Just my opinion.

SLionsCricket

[174]Jul 24, 2015
    • level: 11

I personally don't think she ever loved him. Sure, they had a "relationship" in the sixth season, and Spike had an obsession for her in the fifth, which later progressed into an actual relationship from his perspective. Buffy, however, never fell in love with Spike. Even in the series finale, when she tells him that she loves her, Spike dismisses it as inauthentic, but appreciates the attempt.