Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Just started watching...

cozzamushroom

[1]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 2

I'm about half way through the first season and although the episodes are decent it doesn't seem like anything to write home about. Just wondering, does it pick up? Thanks in advance

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

beowulf579

[2]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 59
    It does "pick up" but depending on your age and background...it might not pick up the way you think it should.
    Buffy came out 15 years ago and a lot has changed since it originally premiered. One of the biggest changes since Buffy left us nine years ago is how much vampire stuff we got going on now.
    Buffy was the first (that I can think of) US show that aimed the Vampire (and supernatural in general) genre toward a teenage/young adult audience. My gosh..just how many such shows exist right now? What was original and fresh in the late 90's might not seem that way to someone just starting out with the show.

cozzamushroom

[3]Jul 9, 2012

I'm 14 and from England, but don't judge, I've got decent taste in TV. Thanks, I'll keep watching and see what I think

Jon_MW_14

[4]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 39
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer definitely picks up especially in season 2.

beowulf579

[5]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 59
    cozzamushroom wrote:

I'm 14 and from England, but don't judge, I've got decent taste in TV. Thanks, I'll keep watching and see what I think

It wasn't meant to be a judgement on you personally. I just know what seemed really original in the Vampire/supernatural genre over a decade ago might not seem that way now.
    Buffy has some wonderful writing in it.

No1Slayerette

[6]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 9

For me, 2.17: Passion, was the episode that made me fall in love with Buffy.

cozzamushroom

[7]Jul 10, 2012

Just watched Angel, WOW. I robot, you Jane not so much. Gonna keep going

No1Slayerette

[8]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 9

Forgot about Angel, other season one highlights for me were Nightmares and Prophecy Girl, so I hope you enjoy those.

watcher1006

[9]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 10
    It did seem a little slow and disjointed at times when I first watched Season 1. But yes indeed, it really picks up pace during Season 2. After I'd seen the later seasons I went back and found a LOT in those early Season 1 episodes to appreciate in later viewings. Season 1 all in all didn't quite impress me so much the first time around, although my dedication to watching the show was cemented by watching the finale "Prophecy Girl".

cozzamushroom

[10]Jul 13, 2012

Just finished the 1st season and and the last few episodes were strong. Getting more interested in the characters an am loving Xander's sarcasm and the general banter between characters.

ktfahel

[11]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 16

I watched it from the first episode, when it first aired, never missed an episode, watch repeats whenever I can (except for the final season), and I can definitely tell you...IT GETS BETTER!!!

showinuse9

[12]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 11
    youll love season 2. you get lots of all the characters and youll see my favorite character of show introduced. It gets really good season 2 because its the first full season

fyi i loved xander

Gilda

[13]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 4
    well season 2 is my favorite season (introduces you to some of the funnest characters and in my opinion had the best main bad guys (spike and dru plus another later on) so i think season two will prob tell you if its the right show for you b/c at this point it really starts settling in and it finds its flow. Season one i found was an ok season for setting things up but season two really hit the nail on the head for great tv
    I also thought season three was good too. The only time where i think you might have a harder time watching would be season 4 [at this point the spin off show angel started (which you should also check out, it was "darker" than buffy but still good) so some characters left and new characters were added, the settings and the story started to change] but then it gets back into things by season 5

Kakistos

[14]Jul 26, 2012
    • level: 1
    In season 2 they get a bigger budget compared to season 1. The fights scenes are much better and the storyline is the best of all the seasons. In episode 3 of season 2, you also meet 2 of the shows most popular characters.

watcher1006

[15]Aug 10, 2012

Kakistos wrote:
    ...and the storyline is the best of all the seasons.
    I entirely agree with that. Season 2 had the best season story arc.

Psy4potato

[16]Aug 16, 2012

It would be amazing to watch the show again for the first time, start to finish, without knowing what was going to happen next. You're lucky!

Season 2 is amazing, and season 3 is just as good. I really do think the whole canon is great, and you should def. keep watching. The actors and writers are amazing in all seven seasons.

watcher1006

[17]Aug 16, 2012

One thing must be conceded, however. Some of the things you see in the show look very dated, particularly in the early seasons. Not surprising when you consider that Season 1 first aired more than 15 years ago. Like everyone talks to each other over land lines. Cordelia's cell phone in S1 "The Harvest" looks huge and totally ancient. People use VHS VCRs and "tape" shows. And the computers with their CRT monitors and big box cases look hopelessly antiquated - a lot of people growing up now and discovering the show may not even remember the days of floppy disks. The popular culture references are too old for a lot of young people to get - like how many people remember John Tesh?

Nevertheless, I doubt that the datedness detracts from the show in any real way. For older fans and those fans who watched it when it was first on it's nostalgic. And for fans discovering it now I suspect it makes the show more curious and amusing, "quaint" if you will.

PenguinSuzie

[18]Aug 19, 2012

I think it was only about 4 years ago that I first watched Buffy. I wasn't that much older than you then; about 16 (maybe 15 or 17 though. I can't remember which year it was). I didn't see it the first time around but I loved the show when I did start watching it.

When my school first got computers they were those same beige boxy ones on the show. The first main computer my family got was a 98. I was a 90's kid so I think the show gave me that kind of nostalgia and I think I got most references. The first time I saw the show was actually on tapes.

Edited on 08/19/2012 8:45pm

Zwingli4

[19]Aug 20, 2012
    • level: 16

watcher1006 wrote:

One thing must be conceded, however. Some of the things you see in the show look very dated, particularly in the early seasons. Not surprising when you consider that Season 1 first aired more than 15 years ago. Like everyone talks to each other over land lines. Cordelia's cell phone in S1 "The Harvest" looks huge and totally ancient. People use VHS VCRs and "tape" shows. And the computers with their CRT monitors and big box cases look hopelessly antiquated - a lot of people growing up now and discovering the show may not even remember the days of floppy disks. The popular culture references are too old for a lot of young people to get - like how many people remember John Tesh?

Nevertheless, I doubt that the datedness detracts from the show in any real way. For older fans and those fans who watched it when it was first on it's nostalgic. And for fans discovering it now I suspect it makes the show more curious and amusing, "quaint" if you will.

Well, "That 70's Show" is dated too but people still like it--of course, it was meant to be. Tongue out

watcher1006

[20]Aug 24, 2012

Zwingli4 wrote:
    Well, "That 70's Show" is dated too but people still like it--of course, it was meant to be. Tongue out
    Well that's the point, more or less. At one level the show in 2012 is now a "period" piece, allowing people to look at how things "were back then", like high school in the late 90s. It doesn't take away from the show at all.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    When my school first got computers they were those same beige boxy ones on the show. The first main computer my family got was a 98. I was a 90's kid so I think the show gave me that kind of nostalgia and I think I got most references. The first time I saw the show was actually on tapes.

For those fans who were kids in the 90s, many of the culture references are not hard to get, and they can remember the now-obsolete devices that were being used during those years. By this time though, people are discovering the show who weren't even born when it premiered.

Edited on 08/31/2012 8:19am
    Edited 3 total times.