Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Magic and Spells.

LorelaiRory

[1]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 4

How come there are times when they (Willow, Tara, Giles, Amy etc) need to read from a spellbook and/or perform a ritual that involves supplies and still other times they can just do magic by saying a couple of words with no spell book or supplies necessary? It seems like they are very inconsistent throughout the entire run of the show. I realize that when Willow was first beginning with magic that she needed to read from spell books but even after she became quite skilled at magic sometimes she still needed a book and supplies and other times she could just make something happen by saying a word or two or more. This was also true about Tara and Amy too and I am wondering if Joss Whedon ever explained this or if any other fans have any theories on this question.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ktfahel

[2]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 16

Different spells need different treatments. Some spells the wording had to be exactly right, hence needing to be read right from the book. Some spells were memorized. Some need "props", some don't. It's just like cooking recipes: some you still need to look in the cookbook to get right, some you can just cook from memory, some you can change on the fly to improve (some, not so much), some needs ingredients that others don't. That's my take on it.

Sci-FiLover22

[3]Aug 2, 2013
    • level: 3
    ktfahel wrote:

Different spells need different treatments. Some spells the wording had to be exactly right, hence needing to be read right from the book. Some spells were memorized. Some need "props", some don't. It's just like cooking recipes: some you still need to look in the cookbook to get right, some you can just cook from memory, some you can change on the fly to improve (some, not so much), some needs ingredients that others don't. That's my take on it.

well said i couldnt agree more

showinuse9

[4]Sep 11, 2013
    • level: 11
    yeah basically different magic. There was one episode in season 4 of Angel I believe where some creature from another dimension told Wesley about blood magic which is the oldest magic. Before words. So it's just that magic has subsets of what kind of magic is used in the whedonverse