Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Most shocking scenes

Zwingli4

[1]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 16

I remember way back to the official message board days--I remember that one young lady reacted to the scene in "Becoming pt 2" of Angel's fate by posting "Oh My G**" about 25 times in a row--and that's all she posted, OMG about 25 times in a row! Of course that was an incredibly shocking scene! Of course BtVS had other shocking scenes. Here's my list of the most shocking Buffy scenes, in increasing order of shockiness.

Buffy dying in "Prophecy Girl" in season 1. I thought she would've avoided that, luckily she died for just a moment.

Spike dissolving and Anya dying in the season 7 finale

Willow killing Bambi in the season 6 opener--I found it shocking because it showed a really dark side to the formally sweet Willow, which of course later manifested itself in a humungous way!

Cassie dying is season 7--that was unexpected!

Buffy pinning Anya to the wall with a sword in season 7--l thought Anya was dead for a moment! Luckily Anya didn't die but lived on--for a few more months.

Buffy dying again in "The Gift" in season 5

Angel turning evil in "Innocence."

Evil Angel killing Jenny Calender in "Passion."

Spike trying to rape Buffy in "Seeing Red."

Xander losing his eye in season 7.

Willow flaying Warren alive in season 6

The aforementioned Buffy sending Angel to Hell in "Becoming pt 2"

Buffy finding her mother's body in "The Body." I would've put this on top but since Joyce had been ill for awhile it wasn't too unexpected.

And the numero uno shocking scene imho was also in "Seeing Red," and can be described simply--"Willow, your shirt."

This show really did like to shock its audience--yup!!!

Edited on 06/11/2008 12:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tv_lover066

[2]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 12
    Okay then. I think u got everything covered lol. Most shocking 4 me was defo tara. But anyas death in final wap shock because first time i saw the final ep it was but out because it was b4 9.00! So when i come to watch it on my dvd it was so shocking!

fabiosy

[3]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 7
    For me, the most shocking moment was when Willow skinned Warren alive.

06hellopplz06

[4]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 9

i have seven one that got to me a little, shocking wise and they are:

In no order, sorry i couldnt deside!

1. Spike going poof, in series final.

2. Anya getting sliced in half

3. the look on Xander's face when finding Anya

4. Spike trying to rape Buffy

5. Tara Dying

6. Xander loosing an eye

7. Buffy finding Joyces body.

They were all very shocking to me, and like you said with that joyce was sick for a while and you kinda expectied it, i kinda noticed that too, but i still added it cause still shocking.

aplourey

[5]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 34
    I won't bother repeating everything the others say but I'll say the most shocking scene is the "Your shirt...." scene with the evil eyes at the end .

ktfahel

[6]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 16

I have to agree with most of the ones already here, particularly:

"Your shirt..."

"Mommy?"

Xander's eye

Anya's split

Warren's flaying

Jonathan's death (yet another reason to hate season 7)

However, here was a minor shock, but a shock nonetheless, that has been forgotten:

Remember who REALLY summoned Sweet in "Once More, With Feeling"? I sure didn't see that coming!

Kadodian

[7]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 23
    I was mostly shocked when Buffy started kissing Spike for the first time. I was like " WTF ?! ". Tara's death wasn't a shock for me since I read it as a spoiler Anya's death was a big shocker because I read that Xander was the one who got killed off in the finale but then I saw the knife cut through Anya and I was like " OMG !!!". Willow flaying Warren wasn't such a big surprise because she looked so mad that I thought she would end up killing Buffy. I didn't see Xander's eye incident coming. I thought Caleb was going to throw him up into the air. Also Amanda's death was a shocker in the finale.

SMGslayer97

[8]Jun 12, 2008
    In no particular order.

Angelus killing Jenny Calender in "Passion", it really was one of the first big deaths they had done on Buffy. They had characters become vampires like Jessie in season 1 but they hadn't really done a big dramatic shocking death yet. And it was like holy crap when they did!

Spike trying to rape Buffy in "Seeing Red", I can't watch that episode because of this scene. Season 6 had gone to some really differnet dark places but this scene was a whole new level of darkness that is very hard to handle, very upsetting.

Xander losing his eye in season 7, Xander had been injured before but over the course of the series he had escaped major injury at every turn so when they did something so serious to him it was jarring especially in the actual scene when it happens. I mean ow!

Willow flaying Warren alive in season 6, I didn't expect Willow kill anyone. I know she in some pretty serious grief, she was in a weird time in her life when she had already been abusing magics so when she gave in to all the dark magic she absorbed it's natural that she would act very out of character especially towards the man who cause her so much pain (Warren) but I didn't think she'd actually kill him. Not Will.

The aforementioned Buffy sending Angel to Hell in "Becoming pt 2", when his soul was restored I expected something dramatic to happen. I mean there was no way it was going to be that simple and easy after everything that had happened in season 2 and when the portal to hell opened in Acathla's mouth I knew was Buffy was going to do. I started crying right then and there.

Buffy finding her mother's body in "The Body", this is an episode that brought a different kind of shock. Most of the Buffy verse shocks were very OMG, sudden and jarring or just so unexpected they left your mouth just hanging wide open but this one just left you stunned and utterly speechless. When I first saw the body my eyes were just wide and I was totally silent.

"Seeing Red," --"Willow, your shirt.", To this day I consider this the most sad most shocking scene ever done on Btvs not to mention the saddest death. Tara and Willow had just gotten back together and things were happy, on there way to getting back to normal and to top it all off Tara was in the credits. It's like YES! Well Joss got us good, I couldn't believe it when that bullet hit her I jump every single time and the first time I saw it happen I think I screamed.

oldreliable

[9]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    Well just copiing the ones I also found scocking: Anya dying in the season 7 finale, so bad! and then Xander saying: That's my girl, always doing the stupid :'(

Cassie dying is season 7

The song in Selfless of Anya wanting to marry Xander it wasn't really shocking just so sad and touching how she felt about him before he broke her heart

The aforementioned Buffy sending Angel to Hell in "Becoming pt 2" (I cried then! also cause it was the end of the season...)

Buffy finding her mother's body in "The Body." I would've put this on top but since Joyce had been ill for awhile it wasn't too unexpected.

watcher1006

[10]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 10

How about

Buffy: What are you doing here?
    Joyce: Buffy? If you're going out, why don't you take your sister?
    Buffy and Dawn: MOM!

Not shocking in a horrible way but definitely ?!?!?!

oldreliable

[11]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    Well the schok of Dawn was lessened a lot by the fact I already knew she was coming...

JoshSutton

[12]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 15
    watcher1006 wrote:

How about

Aaah YES! That was a big shock for me.

What about Faith teaming up with the Mayor?

"I guess that means you have a job opening..."

Aurorastarr

[13]Jun 12, 2008
    All of the above, plus Willow finding the dead student in the Students' Lounge, with the cartoons playing on the television. Also Ted, that whole episode was shocking and creepy.
    Edited on 06/12/2008 6:54pm

SMGslayer97

[14]Jun 13, 2008
    watcher1006 wrote:

How about

I was like WTF!?!?!?! at the end of Buffy v Dracula, it's like who the heck is that?

fitz_15

[15]Jun 13, 2008
    I found "Seeing Red" really shocking like most people- the rape scene was awful

In the Body where Buffy finds Joyce it was so sad

Normal Again- that's the name of the one where is she crazy?
    right? not major shocking just really suprisingly unexpected

I found Anya's death shocking ....and Xander losing an eye just seemed so cruel...grr Caleb...grr!

Jon_MW_14

[16]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 39
    Tara dieing was definately one of the most shocking scenes. Willow turning evil was kind of shocking too. In season 2 when Buffy sent Angel to Hell, that was shocking too. Basically the one's everyone else mentioned were shocking too.

MrsMcDreamy87

[17]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 11
    For me one of the most shocking scenes was when Buffy died to save the world and also when Spike tried to rape Buffy.

shout_itout

[18]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 3

top5 would be

5. Finding out that if Buffy hadn't gone down to the Master he'd still be trapped
    4. D'hoffryn killing Halfrek instead of Anya
    3. Xander losing an eye
    2. Angelus killing Jenny Calendar shocked me because the first time I watched it I thought she was going to escape
    1. Anya being sliced in half, it happened so quickly and was awful

No1Slayerette

[19]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 9

I think the scenes I find most shocking were the deaths that were not only unexpected , but were brutal in the way in which the people died. As many have mentioned the deaths of Jenny and Anya come under this category but for me Tara has to top the list. The whole scene was so unbelievable. Just when you thought Buffy and Xander had forgiven each other and that Willow and Tara were back together for good, Warren comes in with a gun, shooting Buffy through the chest and firing another stray bullet that hits Tara in the back spraying blood all over Willow. That is the most shocking scene for me.

I also think that many people are forgetting a scene that I found quite surprising. At the end of season 6 when Spike successfully completed his challenges I was sure that he would become vampire again but I was really thrown for a spin when he got his soul back.

zeofan1

[20]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 25

Angel drinking from Buffy in season 3

These were all major shockers!!!