Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

New to this Forum? CHECK THIS OUT!!! Thanks!

  • Avatar of spikemaniac

    spikemaniac

    [81]Sep 12, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 50
    • rank: Airwolf
    • posts: 22,754
    Ahhh...

    Faithful, hand me down..

    Dont get strung up
    by the way i look
    dont judge a book by its cover
    im not much of a man
    by the light of day, but by night
    i'm one hell of a lover!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yellowcrayon323

    yellowcrayon323

    [82]Sep 13, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 4,991
    Great that we got a newbie welcoming thread tacked!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelnowdevil

    angelnowdevil

    [83]Sep 13, 2005
    • member since: 06/18/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 146
    wow youve made alot of post yellowcrayon323! 1628!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yellowcrayon323

    yellowcrayon323

    [84]Sep 13, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 4,991
    Add about 2500 or so to it from the old tome and you get my actual post count. Damn CNET....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of watcher1006

    watcher1006

    [85]Sep 14, 2005
    • member since: 09/15/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,286
    Wow, it's nice to see a forum where Buffy is still being talked about as if it were still on, even though it ended more than two years ago. I see a lot of other BtVS forums just slowly dying, and it makes me sad because I came late to the party and there's so much I still want to talk about.

    By the way, I'm older than the typical BtVS fan, male, and among the main characters I find myself identifying most often with Giles. I live in the Northeast US, in Connecticut. I caught up on the series through a combination of DVDs and reruns on the FX Network. Wonderful show, wonderful cast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ScoobySummers

    ScoobySummers

    [86]Sep 15, 2005
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 4,987
    watcher1006 wrote:
    Wow, it's nice to see a forum where Buffy is still being talked about as if it were still on, even though it ended more than two years ago. I see a lot of other BtVS forums just slowly dying, and it makes me sad because I came late to the party and there's so much I still want to talk about.

    By the way, I'm older than the typical BtVS fan, male, and among the main characters I find myself identifying most often with Giles. I live in the Northeast US, in Connecticut. I caught up on the series through a combination of DVDs and reruns on the FX Network. Wonderful show, wonderful cast.


    Rock on Watcher1006! And welcome to the forum!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuffyAnneLove

    BuffyAnneLove

    [87]Sep 15, 2005
    • member since: 04/27/05
    • level: 58
    • rank: Dead Parrot
    • posts: 5,879
    More people to feel old with me! YAY!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [88]Sep 15, 2005
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    BuffyAnneLove wrote:
    More people to feel old with me! YAY!


    I second that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yellowcrayon323

    yellowcrayon323

    [89]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 4,991
    Eh....I'm not old so I can't join the club. Ah well, I got a few decades.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of watcher1006

    watcher1006

    [90]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 09/15/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,286
    Oh I don't get into the WB/UPN demographic aimed shows-meaning stuff like Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Smallville, or Gilmore Girls. I largely ignored Buffy and Angel while they were still being produced, it was only much later that I realized that they are more than youth oriented fantasies, I think they are more akin to a modern mythology, not just television shows. That's the way I think of the Buffyverse.

    However I do admit to having Peter Pan Syndrome-for example I'm very much into Harry Potter.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuffyAnneLove

    BuffyAnneLove

    [91]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 04/27/05
    • level: 58
    • rank: Dead Parrot
    • posts: 5,879
    I know how you feel! I have my little entertainment loves that make me forget my age. Although, I am not THAT aged yet, so it is easy for me to do. But with a lot of shows and movies that I still enjoy are easy to make excuse for now. I was at Best Buy the other week and saw something and thought "Oh wow, My Little Pony on DVD!!!! So cool! I want to get it!!!" then I realized what I thought, so then to make an excuse for myself I then turned to my 3 year old daughter and said "Look honey!!! My Little Pony on DVD! Maybe if you are good Santa will come to Best Buy and get it for you for Christmas!" That made her day! And she doesn't have to be good, Santa will go to Best Buy to get it to indulge her and myself.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of watcher1006

    watcher1006

    [92]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 09/15/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,286
    Oh I'm quite shameless. Twice I've stood in the line at the Harry Potter midnight party book line on the nights that books six and seven came out, surrounded by kids with their Hogwarts robes and Harry Potter glasses. If anyone asked me whom I was buying for, I'd tell them it was for myself. LOL! And I had no problem taking The Little Mermaid DVD to the counter to buy it, for myself!

    Edit: Hi Buffyannelove-I should have said HP books five and six! I'm still waiting for seven.

    I wouldn't mind going with a child but even going by myself it's fun to watch all the children around these events...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuffyAnneLove

    BuffyAnneLove

    [93]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 04/27/05
    • level: 58
    • rank: Dead Parrot
    • posts: 5,879
    It works better when you have a kid with you! Trust me! All you have to do is keep your excitment on the inside and PRETEND to look annoyed! It's great!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yellowcrayon323

    yellowcrayon323

    [94]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 4,991
    Harry Potter and me don't work. Hate it with a passion. Onve on the old tome someone compared Buffy to it...I had a heart attack. It led to some funny posts though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MetroidSA-X

    MetroidSA-X

    [95]Sep 16, 2005
    • member since: 07/22/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 11,807
    yellowcrayon323 wrote:
    Harry Potter and me don't work. Hate it with a passion. Onve on the old tome someone compared Buffy to it...I had a heart attack. It led to some funny posts though.
    I like the movies, not much of a reader, infact I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't have to for school or that wasn't a magazine.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of spikemaniac

    spikemaniac

    [96]Sep 17, 2005
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 50
    • rank: Airwolf
    • posts: 22,754
    MetroidSA-X wrote:
    yellowcrayon323 wrote:
    Harry Potter and me don't work. Hate it with a passion. Onve on the old tome someone compared Buffy to it...I had a heart attack. It led to some funny posts though.
    I like the movies, not much of a reader, infact I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't have to for school or that wasn't a magazine.


    Yeah, I don't like the books, but I watch the movies.
    And I do read sometimes, if it's a Buffy book, or if i have to read it for school or something like "The Da Vinci Code"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of buffyTVSrox

    buffyTVSrox

    [97]Sep 17, 2005
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 21,459
    spikemaniac wrote:
    or if i have to read it for school or something like "The Da Vinci Code"


    They had you read that for school?! What class?! What kind of school is this?!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of watcher1006

    watcher1006

    [98]Sep 17, 2005
    • member since: 09/15/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,286
    The books always have more detail than the movies. That is to be expected, as there is only so much time available in a feature film. You can have more detail in a miniseries. Another thing about the books is that there is room for your own imagination to picture what the characters and the scenes look and sound like. I think the Harry Potter movies overall do a good job of capturing J.K. Rowling's conception, but not everyone I know agrees. Anyway it is true that reading takes time, watching movies takes much less.

    A long time friend of mine said he gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth book, because the stories had gotten too dark. Funny but similar things are said about Buffy, just substitute "season" for "book". Definitely the series changed in tone once the setting moved past Sunnydale High School.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shana868

    Shana868

    [99]Sep 17, 2005
    • member since: 06/08/05
    • level: 40
    • rank: Bewitched
    • posts: 13,400
    watcher1006 wrote:
    The books always have more detail than the movies. That is to be expected, as there is only so much time available in a feature film. You can have more detail in a miniseries. Another thing about the books is that there is room for your own imagination to picture what the characters and the scenes look and sound like. I think the Harry Potter movies overall do a good job of capturing J.K. Rowling's conception, but not everyone I know agrees. Anyway it is true that reading takes time, watching movies takes much less.

    A long time friend of mine said he gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth book, because the stories had gotten too dark. Funny but similar things are said about Buffy, just substitute "season" for "book". Definitely the series changed in tone once the setting moved past Sunnydale High School.

    I never saw the films for that exact same reason - the book was so so highly praised for encouraging children to read for once, and use their imaginations - what's the point of giving them a movie so many of them don't bother with the reading!!!

    And about Buffy - the characters grew, and so did their troubles I guess. They couldn't keep it all in a bubble teenage world forever, the issues they explored are ones we have to deal with as we get older
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of buffyTVSrox

    buffyTVSrox

    [100]Sep 17, 2005
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 33
    • rank: Borg Queen
    • posts: 21,459
    Shana868 wrote:
    watcher1006 wrote:
    The books always have more detail than the movies. That is to be expected, as there is only so much time available in a feature film. You can have more detail in a miniseries. Another thing about the books is that there is room for your own imagination to picture what the characters and the scenes look and sound like. I think the Harry Potter movies overall do a good job of capturing J.K. Rowling's conception, but not everyone I know agrees. Anyway it is true that reading takes time, watching movies takes much less.

    A long time friend of mine said he gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth book, because the stories had gotten too dark. Funny but similar things are said about Buffy, just substitute "season" for "book". Definitely the series changed in tone once the setting moved past Sunnydale High School.

    I never saw the films for that exact same reason - the book was so so highly praised for encouraging children to read for once, and use their imaginations - what's the point of giving them a movie so many of them don't bother with the reading!!!

    And about Buffy - the characters grew, and so did their troubles I guess. They couldn't keep it all in a bubble teenage world forever, the issues they explored are ones we have to deal with as we get older


    Stay right there, and watch the banner thread closely!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.