Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

New to this Forum? CHECK THIS OUT!!! Thanks!

spikemaniac

[81]Sep 12, 2005
    • level: 50
    Ahhh...

Faithful, hand me down..

Dont get strung up
    by the way i look
    dont judge a book by its cover
    im not much of a man
    by the light of day, but by night
    i'm one hell of a lover!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

yellowcrayon323

[82]Sep 13, 2005
    • level: 20
    Great that we got a newbie welcoming thread tacked!

angelnowdevil

[83]Sep 13, 2005
    • level: 4
    wow youve made alot of post yellowcrayon323! 1628!!

yellowcrayon323

[84]Sep 13, 2005
    Add about 2500 or so to it from the old tome and you get my actual post count. Damn CNET....

watcher1006

[85]Sep 14, 2005
    • level: 10
    Wow, it's nice to see a forum where Buffy is still being talked about as if it were still on, even though it ended more than two years ago. I see a lot of other BtVS forums just slowly dying, and it makes me sad because I came late to the party and there's so much I still want to talk about.

By the way, I'm older than the typical BtVS fan, male, and among the main characters I find myself identifying most often with Giles. I live in the Northeast US, in Connecticut. I caught up on the series through a combination of DVDs and reruns on the FX Network. Wonderful show, wonderful cast.

ScoobySummers

[86]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 18
    watcher1006 wrote:
    Wow, it's nice to see a forum where Buffy is still being talked about as if it were still on, even though it ended more than two years ago. I see a lot of other BtVS forums just slowly dying, and it makes me sad because I came late to the party and there's so much I still want to talk about.

By the way, I'm older than the typical BtVS fan, male, and among the main characters I find myself identifying most often with Giles. I live in the Northeast US, in Connecticut. I caught up on the series through a combination of DVDs and reruns on the FX Network. Wonderful show, wonderful cast.

Rock on Watcher1006! And welcome to the forum!

BuffyAnneLove

[87]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 58
    More people to feel old with me! YAY!

angelandspike

[88]Sep 15, 2005
    • level: 66
    BuffyAnneLove wrote:
    More people to feel old with me! YAY!

I second that.

yellowcrayon323

[89]Sep 16, 2005
    Eh....I'm not old so I can't join the club. Ah well, I got a few decades.

watcher1006

[90]Sep 16, 2005
    Oh I don't get into the WB/UPN demographic aimed shows-meaning stuff like Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Smallville, or Gilmore Girls. I largely ignored Buffy and Angel while they were still being produced, it was only much later that I realized that they are more than youth oriented fantasies, I think they are more akin to a modern mythology, not just television shows. That's the way I think of the Buffyverse.

However I do admit to having Peter Pan Syndrome-for example I'm very much into Harry Potter.

BuffyAnneLove

[91]Sep 16, 2005
    I know how you feel! I have my little entertainment loves that make me forget my age. Although, I am not THAT aged yet, so it is easy for me to do. But with a lot of shows and movies that I still enjoy are easy to make excuse for now. I was at Best Buy the other week and saw something and thought "Oh wow, My Little Pony on DVD!!!! So cool! I want to get it!!!" then I realized what I thought, so then to make an excuse for myself I then turned to my 3 year old daughter and said "Look honey!!! My Little Pony on DVD! Maybe if you are good Santa will come to Best Buy and get it for you for Christmas!" That made her day! And she doesn't have to be good, Santa will go to Best Buy to get it to indulge her and myself.

watcher1006

[92]Sep 16, 2005
    Oh I'm quite shameless. Twice I've stood in the line at the Harry Potter midnight party book line on the nights that books six and seven came out, surrounded by kids with their Hogwarts robes and Harry Potter glasses. If anyone asked me whom I was buying for, I'd tell them it was for myself. LOL! And I had no problem taking The Little Mermaid DVD to the counter to buy it, for myself!

Edit: Hi Buffyannelove-I should have said HP books five and six! I'm still waiting for seven.

I wouldn't mind going with a child but even going by myself it's fun to watch all the children around these events...

BuffyAnneLove

[93]Sep 16, 2005
    It works better when you have a kid with you! Trust me! All you have to do is keep your excitment on the inside and PRETEND to look annoyed! It's great!

yellowcrayon323

[94]Sep 16, 2005
    Harry Potter and me don't work. Hate it with a passion. Onve on the old tome someone compared Buffy to it...I had a heart attack. It led to some funny posts though.

MetroidSA-X

[95]Sep 16, 2005
    yellowcrayon323 wrote:
    Harry Potter and me don't work. Hate it with a passion. Onve on the old tome someone compared Buffy to it...I had a heart attack. It led to some funny posts though.
    I like the movies, not much of a reader, infact I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't have to for school or that wasn't a magazine.

spikemaniac

[96]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 50
    MetroidSA-X wrote:
    yellowcrayon323 wrote:
    I like the movies, not much of a reader, infact I don't think I've ever read a book I didn't have to for school or that wasn't a magazine.

Yeah, I don't like the books, but I watch the movies.
    And I do read sometimes, if it's a Buffy book, or if i have to read it for school or something like "The Da Vinci Code"

buffyTVSrox

[97]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 33
    spikemaniac wrote:
    or if i have to read it for school or something like "The Da Vinci Code"

They had you read that for school?! What class?! What kind of school is this?!

watcher1006

[98]Sep 17, 2005
    The books always have more detail than the movies. That is to be expected, as there is only so much time available in a feature film. You can have more detail in a miniseries. Another thing about the books is that there is room for your own imagination to picture what the characters and the scenes look and sound like. I think the Harry Potter movies overall do a good job of capturing J.K. Rowling's conception, but not everyone I know agrees. Anyway it is true that reading takes time, watching movies takes much less.

A long time friend of mine said he gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth book, because the stories had gotten too dark. Funny but similar things are said about Buffy, just substitute "season" for "book". Definitely the series changed in tone once the setting moved past Sunnydale High School.

Shana868

[99]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 40
    watcher1006 wrote:
    The books always have more detail than the movies. That is to be expected, as there is only so much time available in a feature film. You can have more detail in a miniseries. Another thing about the books is that there is room for your own imagination to picture what the characters and the scenes look and sound like. I think the Harry Potter movies overall do a good job of capturing J.K. Rowling's conception, but not everyone I know agrees. Anyway it is true that reading takes time, watching movies takes much less.

A long time friend of mine said he gave up on Harry Potter after the fourth book, because the stories had gotten too dark. Funny but similar things are said about Buffy, just substitute "season" for "book". Definitely the series changed in tone once the setting moved past Sunnydale High School.

I never saw the films for that exact same reason - the book was so so highly praised for encouraging children to read for once, and use their imaginations - what's the point of giving them a movie so many of them don't bother with the reading!!!

And about Buffy - the characters grew, and so did their troubles I guess. They couldn't keep it all in a bubble teenage world forever, the issues they explored are ones we have to deal with as we get older

buffyTVSrox

[100]Sep 17, 2005
    • level: 33
    Shana868 wrote:
    watcher1006 wrote:

I never saw the films for that exact same reason - the book was so so highly praised for encouraging children to read for once, and use their imaginations - what's the point of giving them a movie so many of them don't bother with the reading!!!

And about Buffy - the characters grew, and so did their troubles I guess. They couldn't keep it all in a bubble teenage world forever, the issues they explored are ones we have to deal with as we get older

Stay right there, and watch the banner thread closely!