Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Rank the Seasons from Best to Worst

The_void_68

[21]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 18
    ...Are we the same person?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alias571

[22]Jun 11, 2010

The_void_68 wrote:
    ...Are we the same person?

Lol, I don't hate Season 6 as much as you do, but I did notice a similarity.

___Mr_Nasty___

[23]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 24
    You two even have almost exactly the same number of posts and the same rank.

And the same hair colour!

Jon_MW_14

[24]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 39

Season 4 and 6 are both my favourite seasons. It's hard to pick which one I like more.

Season 4 - Season 4 was the funniest season in my opinion. My favourite couple Tara and Willow got together in this season. Faith was in two episodes. I liked all the stand-alone episodes.
    Favourite Episodes: Hush, Restless, Fear Itself, Something Blue

Season 6 - Season 6 was the darkest season which is why I love it. I love Dark Willow!
    Favourite Episodes: Once More, With Feeling, Normal Again, Tabula Rasa, Older and Far Away

Season 3 - I love Faith! It had great storylines and awesome stand-alone episodes. I loved the season finale.
    Favourite Episodes: Doppelgangland, The Wish, Bandy Candy, Earshot

Season 5 - I love Dawn! She's the reason I started watching Buffy. I love how season 5 is kind of mysteriously and we don't know who Dawn is and you slowly figure out what happened. Glory was awesome
    Favourite Episodes: The Body, The Gift, The Replacement, Triangle, Family

Season 2 - I love Angelus and Drusilla! Angel losing his soul is the best part of the season. This season had some pretty good episodes, but some weren't as good as others.
    Favourite Episodes: Halloween, Inca Mummy Girl, Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered

Season 7 - The First was cool at first, but then it got lame, but it got way better when Caleb showed up. I love Andrew too!
    Favourite Episodes: Same Time Same Place, Him, Storyteller, Conversations with Dead People, Help

Season 1 - I love season 1, but the episodes didn't have the same quality as episodes in season 2-7.
    Favourite Episodes: Nightmares, Out of Mind Out of Sight, The Witch

The_void_68

[25]Jun 12, 2010

___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    You two even have almost exactly the same number of posts and the same rank. And the same hair colour!

OK, that's just creepy... not just the extra similarities, but the fact that you know what colour my hair is. Surprised

Although...

alias571 wrote:

3) Season 5 -- the most inconsistent: awful beginning but amazing last episodes

...I don't agree with this bit. The beginning to S5 is very strong IMO. Buffy .vs. Dracula is OK, Real Me is very funny, The Replacement is great, the Riley bits in OOMM are dull but Spike and Harmony make up for it, NPLH is a great introduction for Glory and development of the Dawn storyline, Family has the most heartwarming moment ever ("We're family."), and Fool for Love is a television masterpiece. Then there's a small dip in the middle - Shadow is good if depressing, LTF is a bit rubbish, Into the Woods is largely dull, Triangle is rubbish but has some fun bits. Checkpoint and Blood Ties are good, but Crush is disappointing and IWMTLY is largely filler. Then the series kicks into high gear with The Body, Forever and Intervention. Tough Love is OK but then Spiral and WOTW are pretty dull and stretch out the storyline too much. Then The Gift is absolute brilliance.

Wait, I had a point around here somewhere.... oh yeah, if you split up S5 into three blocks (BvD-FFL, Shadow-IWMTLY, Body-Gift), it seems to me that the middle section is actually the weakest. The final block starts and ends with pure brilliance, but the beginning is more consistent IMO.

buildam2005

[26]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 14
    The_void_68 wrote:

___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:
    You two even have almost exactly the same number of posts and the same rank. And the same hair colour!

OK, that's just creepy... not just the extra similarities, but the fact that you know what colour my hair is. Surprised

Although...

alias571 wrote:

...I don't agree with this bit. The beginning to S5 is very strong IMO. Buffy .vs. Dracula is OK, Real Me is very funny, The Replacement is great, the Riley bits in OOMM are dull but Spike and Harmony make up for it, NPLH is a great introduction for Glory and development of the Dawn storyline, Family has the most heartwarming moment ever ("We're family."), and Fool for Love is a television masterpiece. Then there's a small dip in the middle - Shadow is good if depressing, LTF is a bit rubbish, Into the Woods is largely dull, Triangle is rubbish but has some fun bits. Checkpoint and Blood Ties are good, but Crush is disappointing and IWMTLY is largely filler. Then the series kicks into high gear with The Body, Forever and Intervention. Tough Love is OK but then Spiral and WOTW are pretty dull and stretch out the storyline too much. Then The Gift is absolute brilliance.

Wait, I had a point around here somewhere.... oh yeah, if you split up S5 into three blocks (BvD-FFL, Shadow-IWMTLY, Body-Gift), it seems to me that the middle section is actually the weakest. The final block starts and ends with pure brilliance, but the beginning is more consistent IMO.

I think what you point out here is actually pretty typical of the series, if you look at every season. With very few exceptions, the beginning has relatively good stuff, then there's a dip mid-season, and the end is usually really quite strong. The exceptions I see are, as you point out, season 5, and season 2 starts out really weak ("Some Assembly Required"? "Reptile Boy"? Yikes), but then ramps up a little after halfway. Seasons six suffers a massive quality dip in the middle, as does season 7. The way I look at it, though, is a good way to judge a season is by its strongest and weakest episodes versus those of every other season. In my opinion, S5's strongest are "The Body," "Fool For Love," and "The Gift." I don't think another season can put up three single episodes that are THAT good, with the exception of Season two ("Innocence," Becoming," and "Passion"). But then I look at the season's worst: for me, S5 hits its low with "Triangle," as it's REALLY inconsistent with Buffy's character. But then if I compare that to season two, I look at "Some Assembly Required" or "Reptile Boy" and there's no comparison. That's how season 5 comes out on top for me.

fatfreeoreos

[27]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 40
    1. Season five
    2. Season six
    3. Season three
    4. Season seven
    5. Season two
    6. Season four
    7. Season one

thecrapgamer

[28]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 7
    1.Season 5
    2.Season 2
    3.Season 3
    4.Season 4
    5.Season 6
    6.Season 7
    7.Season 1

Short and to the point.

dugs_99

[29]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 7

Best - Worst Seasons:

1) Season 4, Favourite Episodes: Harsh Light of Day, Pangs, Something Blue, Hush, Superstar, The Yoko Factor

2) Season 2, Favourite Episodes: School Hard, What's My Line Part 1&2, Surprise, Innocence, Passion, Becoming Part 1&2

3) Season 3, Favourite Episodes: Beauty & The Beast, Lover's Walk, The Wish, The Zeppo, Enemies, Graduation Day Part 1&2

4) Season 6, Favourite Episodes: Once More With Feeling, Tabula Rasa, Smashed, Villains, Two To Go, Grave

5) Season 7, Favourite Episodes: Same Time, Same Place, Showtime, Dirty Girls, Touched, End of Days, Chosen

6) Season 5, Favourite Episodes: Replacement, Out of My Mind, Fool For Love, Crush, The Body, Intervention, The Gift

7) Season 1, Favourite Episodes: Teacher's Pet, Never Kill A Boy on The First Date, Angel, Nightmares, Prophecy Girl

cindycee

[30]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    buildam2005 wrote:
    The_void_68 wrote:

___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:

Although...

alias571 wrote:

I think what you point out here is actually pretty typical of the series, if you look at every season. With very few exceptions, the beginning has relatively good stuff, then there's a dip mid-season, and the end is usually really quite strong. The exceptions I see are, as you point out, season 5, and season 2 starts out really weak ("Some Assembly Required"? "Reptile Boy"? Yikes), but then ramps up a little after halfway. Seasons six suffers a massive quality dip in the middle, as does season 7. The way I look at it, though, is a good way to judge a season is by its strongest and weakest episodes versus those of every other season. In my opinion, S5's strongest are "The Body," "Fool For Love," and "The Gift." I don't think another season can put up three single episodes that are THAT good, with the exception of Season two ("Innocence," Becoming," and "Passion"). But then I look at the season's worst: for me, S5 hits its low with "Triangle," as it's REALLY inconsistent with Buffy's character. But then if I compare that to season two, I look at "Some Assembly Required" or "Reptile Boy" and there's no comparison. That's how season 5 comes out on top for me.

i am just wondering if you can explain further about triangle being inconsistent with buffys character?

buildam2005

[31]Jun 13, 2010
    cindycee wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:
    The_void_68 wrote:

___Mr_Nasty___ wrote:

Although...

alias571 wrote:

i am just wondering if you can explain further about triangle being inconsistent with buffys character?

What I mean is that she gets way too pouty and cries like a little girl in a sappy manner. I'm thinking particularly of the segment where she's beating up Olaf and croaning "their love will last forever." Even at the episode's outset, she's talking about Riley's departure with Giles and she says she's okay--a bit upset, of course, and down-and-out, but she clearly indicates that she'll be alright. She even jokes with him when he says it's not the end of the world and she has a fake freakout. But then later in the episode, she acts really immature and sensitive/emotional about Xander and Anya's relationship. Based on what we know about her and Riley's relationship and why it didn't work, this outburst of immature, "girlish" (I don't mean to be sexist here )showing of emotion is very much NOT how she has ever acted in the series, and considering what we know about how she subconsciously felt about Riley, it wouldn't make sense for her to have an outburst of this sort.

At least that's what I think, anyway.

greysanatomy12

[32]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 16

1)Season 3

2)Season 2

3)Season 6

4)Season 5

5)Season 7

6)Season 4

7)Season 1

DeadMessenger82

[33]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 12
    buildam2005 wrote:

inconsistent with buffys character

okay she burst out crying in a comical fashion, little things upset her, she was fine and then she wasn't for a moment, then she was fine again.
    How are you after a break up?
    Okay the writers and smg played the humour of it and it was exaggerated but i wouldn't go so far as to say it way out of character. She wants her friends to be happy, her relationship fell apart, she doesn't want anyone elses to.
    "their love will last forever"::punch::
    so shes got some denial rage going on, i think that's very Buffy

buildam2005

[34]Jun 13, 2010
    DeadMessenger82 wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:

okay she burst out crying in a comical fashion, little things upset her, she was fine and then she wasn't for a moment, then she was fine again.
    Okay the writers and smg played the humour of it and it was exaggerated but i wouldn't go so far as to say it way out of character. She wants her friends to be happy, her relationship fell apart, she doesn't want anyone elses to.

I just think it gets a bit hokey by episode's end. And, at the beginning of the episode, she doesn't seem that affected by the break up, which seems logical to me: she clearly wasn't nearly as invested in Riley by the time they broke up as she tried to/wanted (?) to be. So at the outset of the episode, her near-indifference made sense. As it went on, and she got all comically goofy, it was a stretch to be believable. Something I've always loved about BtVS is that it doesn't compromise believability for humor--it's always organic to the characters. Here, though, it comes across as forced and fake. However, it's a rarity, so it's certainly forgivable--but is the reason this episode is the bottom of the season for me (but hopefully you can see why I rank this season at the top, when a goof like that is the worst I can say about it).

DeadMessenger82

[35]Jun 13, 2010
    well okay then

spikemaniac

[36]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 50
    Okay. I have thought about it, and AT THE MOMENT, my thoughts and OPINIONS on the Buffy seasons are as follows:

1. Season 3 - I always forget how great this season is. Faith is one of my favourite Buffy characters and The Mayor is one of my favourite villains. Season 3 has so many consistently great episodes, like The Wish, Dopplegangland, Band Candy, Lover's Walk, Earshot, The Prom, plus a giant snake! It's brought down by Beauty and The Beasts, Anne, Dead Man's Party and Gingerbread - all episodes that I cannot stand. The only reason that it's above season 2 is because I feel the great episodes outweigh the bad ones, moreso than season 2.

2. Season 2 - introduction of Spike and Dru, plus the Angelus arc, makes it great. This is when the show truly began to develop it's own soul and personality. Also contains some of my favourite episodes, including I Only Have Eyes For You and Passion.

3. Season 6 - as dark and heavy and depressing as it is, I've always been a fan of Season 6. Seeing Spike and Buffy together was always so wrong, yet so right. I'm not a Spuffy shipper really, but I found them entertaining. Season 6 has some great episodes, OMWF, Tabula Rasa, as well as the hilarity of Life Serial and Gone. It has the controversy of the "it was all a dream/taking part in the protaganist's head" scenario in Normal Again, as well as the controversy of killing off the lesbian. Cue the tears, people. Also, a beautiful finale that has me crying everytime. Of course, this season is brought down by it's occasional lack of funness and generally unenjoyable episodes such as Dead Things, As You Were, All the Way and Doublemeat Palace. Also I hate After Life.

4. Season 4 - as much as I hate the overall arc of this season, the standalones are great (Something Blue, Hush, Superstar), and the return of Faith redeemed it ever so slightly. Also Restless is one of my favourite episodes.

5. Season 7 - has some of my favourite episodes (Conversations with Dead People, Storyteller), but apart from those episodes, the season is fairly mundane until Caleb shows up. Gets some extra points for Spike's scene at the end of Beneath You, one of my favourite scenes in the entire series. Also gets extra points for good usage of Andrew. But these two elements don't really redeem this season fully in my opinion, but it's enough to put it over season 5.

6. Season 5 - I agree with an earlier poster, that this series really doesn't get good until the very end. Some redeeming points, like Spike becoming a good guy, and some Glory humour. Generally not fond of most of the episodes, except for of course the gem that is The Body. Also Fool For Love is a great episode and Intervention is hilarious. Like I said, doesn't get really amazing until the last couple of episodes, and is boring to me up until then.

7. Season 1 - has some good camp value, and essential introductions, plus some fun parts, but generally doesn't compare to the quality of the rest of the show.

cindycee

[37]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 8
    buildam2005 wrote:
    DeadMessenger82 wrote:
    buildam2005 wrote:

I just think it gets a bit hokey by episode's end. And, at the beginning of the episode, she doesn't seem that affected by the break up, which seems logical to me: she clearly wasn't nearly as invested in Riley by the time they broke up as she tried to/wanted (?) to be. So at the outset of the episode, her near-indifference made sense. As it went on, and she got all comically goofy, it was a stretch to be believable. Something I've always loved about BtVS is that it doesn't compromise believability for humor--it's always organic to the characters. Here, though, it comes across as forced and fake. However, it's a rarity, so it's certainly forgivable--but is the reason this episode is the bottom of the season for me (but hopefully you can see why I rank this season at the top, when a goof like that is the worst I can say about it).

yeah i think they did go with the humour there for sure.

but i think buffy did realise riley meant more to her than she allowed herself to feel, i think she felt she had to be strong, because of her mum being sick, and she has always been a bit like that, denying her own frailties in order to carry on fighting. so i think that outburst was her breaking down a little after all the stress she had been through. most of us would have a freakout under those circumstances i think, i know i would, thats for sure lol. at the end of the season she goes catatonic, so i think all this stuff is building up and building up. thanks for clarifying that buildam2005.

TwistedConverse

[38]Jun 16, 2010
    • level: 23
    Triangle is absolutely hilarious and one of the funniest episodes of the show.

imoimoimoimo

buildam2005

[39]Jun 16, 2010
    TwistedConverse wrote:
    Triangle is absolutely hilarious and one of the funniest episodes of the show.

imoimoimoimo

I certainly agree that it's funny. However, it makes some character consistency sacrifices with Buffy for the sake of that humor, and usually the humor is SOOOO realistic to the characters (look at "Doppelgangland" for example. Willow = HILARIOUS).

DeadMessenger82

[40]Jun 17, 2010
    but even so, Willow was either happy with or unaware of the way people viewed her or treated her before this episode.
    (i know that sounded bad, people are going to argue with that statement.)

but then suddenly she has little hissyfits over nothing and attitude ect.

catalyst: percy
    ------

the few episodes prior to triangle Buffy is a somewhat stable individual
    (i know people wont agree with this statement either)

but then suddenly she has little melt downs and cry cry sobs

catalyst: the rock she though she had, up and leaves and she discovers he's been crumbling for a while now. something she was invested in (again people wont agree with that) is destroyed.

-------------------
    how is it out of character for her to be upset?
    at the start of the episode she says to giles that she's okay, she even makes a joke about it. THIS DOESN'T PROVE ANYTHING (in my opinion).
    she lost someone she cared about, not only that, she lost someone in a really cruel uncertain 'they could come back but i can't reach them' kind of way. it's the holding onto hope that kills you. ----
    the acting was exaggerated, the fact she burst into tears randomly? i don't believe so.

and as for the acting,

smg does on occasion bring Buffy to a somewhat 'cartoon' comical place, particularly when episodes focus on other charcaters.

another example is season 7's 'Him', it's a Dawn ep (well sort of), and a funny ep, while Buffy is talking to Dawn on the couch; exaggerated, ignorant(i can't think of the right word), comical, not normally the way she seems to be(yes i realise there spell, but others remained more or less the same).
    ---------

my point is; it is possable for Buffy to have different aspects to her personality, to not always act exactly the same and be in the same mood all the time always.

i don't consider this to be out of character.

she got dumped, she crys... shes the slayer but shes still human.
    i thought that't why a lot of people were drawn to the show in the first place.