Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

RST 58: Glory's Apartment

No1Slayerette

[4281]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 9

Comes out here in Australia in a week, I can't wait! Most of the things I've heard have been positive... but the last review I read was a little disconcerting, talking about how the satire of the traditional horror movie template doesn't really work because the characters are so unlikable. But I'm trying to go in with an open mind. I'm hoping it's better than The Avengers.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

showinuse9

[4282]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 11
    i hope its something like Evil Dead trilogy. some of the best satirical horror movies that takes place in a cabin. Those movies were written by sam raimi. who wrote and directed the spiderman movies. I'll go with an open mind too. I'm sure it'll be a lot diferent than avengers but that's what i want

KyahCA

[4283]Jun 29, 2012
    • level: 6
    So did you guys see Cabin In The Woods? I haven't seen The Avengers yet unfortunately, and will probably have to wait for the DVD release. :/

Anyway, I started a new Buffy rewatch (since it's summer time, yay!) and I've been posting my own reviews for each episode on here as I watch them. It's actually pretty fun.

No1Slayerette

[4284]Jul 1, 2012

KyahCA wrote:
    So did you guys see Cabin In The Woods? I haven't seen The Avengers yet unfortunately, and will probably have to wait for the DVD release. :/ Anyway, I started a new Buffy rewatch (since it's summer time, yay!) and I've been posting my own reviews for each episode on here as I watch them. It's actually pretty fun.
    Yes! Just saw it yesterday, it was only showing in one cinema in all of Melbourne (where I live) so it took me a while get around to seeing it. I enjoyed it, it wasn't without it's flaws, but there were enough unexpected twists and a lot of dark humour to keep me entertained.

That sounds fun SmileI've just started a television blog, and I'm tossing and turning about whether or not I should do reviews of older shows. The thing is, if I decide to do that, I think it would be sacrilege for me not to do Buffy first, considering it's my all-time favourite show, but at the moment it just seems a little daunting watching and reviewing all the eps...

KyahCA

[4285]Jul 5, 2012
    No1Slayerette wrote:

That sounds fun SmileI've just started a television blog, and I'm tossing and turning about whether or not I should do reviews of older shows. The thing is, if I decide to do that, I think it would be sacrilege for me not to do Buffy first, considering it's my all-time favourite show, but at the moment it just seems a little daunting watching and reviewing all the eps...

Yes, it does get tiring actually... It's been about a week, and I'm only 5 episodes in. D: But I still feel a sense of accomplishment every time I post a review.

showinuse9

[4286]Jul 7, 2012
    KyahCA wrote:
    So did you guys see Cabin In The Woods? I haven't seen The Avengers yet unfortunately, and will probably have to wait for the DVD release. :/

Anyway, I started a new Buffy rewatch (since it's summer time, yay!) and I've been posting my own reviews for each episode on here as I watch them. It's actually pretty fun.

yeah i also watched. it was just as original as i thought it was gonna be. even had a Angel alumni in there and bradley whitford from the west wing which was a show i loved too. And even thor from the avengers was in there. it was an interesting take on the horror story and almost made fun of the genre but in a weird way stayed true to it. almost like season 4 of buffy in its delivery with the way the story unfolded. Have to watch it to understand. Other than a few plot holes i really enjoyed how different it is. ah a buffy rewatch. i may try one. got most of the episodes on VHS and i think i have a working vcr. i like watching the VHSs i taped rather than online cause it really puts me back at that time. cause i have a lot of small like glitches on the tapes that make it fun. like when i fail to cut out a commemrcial break or theres little extras on the tape. i think its great with reviews its so fun to read those

No1Slayerette

[4287]Jul 10, 2012

I loved seeing all the Whedon regulars too, I knew most of them were going to be in there, but I must have forgotten, which was good, because then I could be surprised all over again. I also loved that mega-star guest appearance towards the end of the film. I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but I had no idea they were going to be in the film and the cameo made my day.

KyahCA

[4288]Jul 11, 2012
    Remember the mermaid? XD

No1Slayerette

[4289]Jul 11, 2012

That I do Laughing... but I also remember the molesting tree. I don't actually recall seeing it in the film, only on the whiteboard, but just the name gives me nightmares. However, I loved this part of the film so much I decided to make a meme: http://www.quickmeme.com/Make-Out-With-That-Moose/?upcoming

KyahCA

[4290]Jul 13, 2012
    Oh gosh, the moose, haha. XD Ahh yes, there were many very interesting things on that whiteboard I would have liked to see... Even the molesting tree? Maybe? 0.o

showinuse9

[4291]Jul 16, 2012
    perv trees. we gotta do something about them lol. And there was a mermaid in the whole hoola thing. he got to see one.

here's a thought thats gonna make you wonder. In japan was a group of schoolgirls. Now I'm just wondering which category each of those represents 0_o *poker face* lol think about it. freaking japan haha

Zwingli4

[4292]Jul 16, 2012
    • level: 16

Are you guys still describing Cabin in the Woods? Those perv trees and the moose head actually were in the film "The Evil Dead" starring Bruce Campbell (which was actually part 1 of a trilogy). Maybe CITW is a spoof TED, I guess.

No1Slayerette

[4293]Jul 22, 2012

I think the group of girls in Japan were being attacked by a vengeful spirit posing as as Japanese school girl, it sort of looked like the girl from The Grudge, but I can't be certain what it actually was, the closest thing I could see to it on the whiteboard was a Wraith.

I haven't seen The Evil Dead, I might have to check it out now, but as far as I know the movie was trying to parody the horror movie genre in general. Lots of the other monsters seen in the film reminded me of other horror films, particularly the Wrong Turn series.

Zwingli4

[4294]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 16

Well, I just put Cabin in the Woods in my Netflix queu. It good good reviews on theNetflix site, even from people who admitted they didn't like Buffy! One movie for you Hannigan and Denisof fans to avoid though--"Rip It Off." It's a lame heist flick where Alyson Hannigan and Nastassja Kinski are abused by their mob boyfriends and take revenge by robbing a place their abusive boyfriends were planning to rob, and they become lovers to boot. It got nothing but terrible reviews. One person even said AlexisDenisof did a terrible Russian accent. That is surprising since 1. he did a good English accent on Buffy and Angel and 2. He is Russian. Ah, how quickly the children of immigrants become assimilated! At any rate I'll avoid that one even though Hannigan and Kinski playing two lovers sounds quite intriguing--and I'm sure it would come off better than Willow and Kennedy, at least. Tongue out