Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Spike and Angel (who did buffy love more)

J_1986

[1]May 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    Ok now i know this topic has been talked about 2 death but i've just finished series 7 and I'm sort of left in a state of turmoil! I loved Buffy and angel together, then spike came into the picture and i had 2 question whether she loved him more than or equal 2 angel!! I didn't know what 2 think of her cookie dough speech in 'chosen' either! Although i knew it was never going to happen, i wanted 2 see angel and Buffy end up together and live happily ever after Before spike came into the picture, even though i knew Buffy and angel would never end up together but i was still happy thinking he would always be the love of her life and no1 would ever compare! What do u guys think? help me
    Edited on 05/10/2007 5:30am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kennymacdougall

[2]May 10, 2007
    • level: 22
    I would say Angel.

SMGslayer97

[3]May 10, 2007
    • level: 34
    Well Angel, I mean especially considering that she didn't even admit she loved Spike till the end of the series and even then it wasn't one hundred percent clear if she truly meant it.

ksyrah

[4]May 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    I think Buffy really wanted to love Spike at the end, but she couldn't. He did a lot to change for her, but I think in her mind he could never compete with Angel. I actually think in many ways he did more for her than Angel, because Spike stayed and helped her out with whatever she needed even when she didn't like him. Angel sorta ran off to LA because he couldn't handle it, it wasn't just abuot making things easier for Buffy.

nosce_te_ipsum

[5]May 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    Angel

electricpeppers

[6]May 10, 2007
    • level: 26
    Angel, for many reasons too long to list.

Kennymacdougall

[7]May 10, 2007
    Well, let's not exaggerate

mossoholic

[8]May 10, 2007
    This has been discussed so many times and it is without a doubt Angel.

fermaldehyde

[9]May 10, 2007
    • level: 16

since this topic is way over debated i have never bothered to put my two cents in... until now. so here's my extremely confusing thoughts on the spike/buffy/angle scene:

angel was buffy's first love. and no matter who else buffy or angel are with, they will always have a place for each other in each other's hearts. if they could be together, there's no doubt in my mind that they would be. but since angel loved her, he knew it was for the better if he left. which just goes to show that no matter how much he did love her, she came before him.

now for spike. something happened somewhere in season five that made spike watchable for me (an ex-spike hater). and as the episodes went on he grew on me, until horror of all horrors- i really started to think he was a great character and an asset to the show! and i loved seeing him and buffy together (no more brooding and complaining was a big plus too) and the way he would do anything for her.

comparing what they did for buffy would lead to no where- they both did some terrible things to her, and both some amazing. but i think, after much psychoanalysis (on my part, lol) that she would pick angel. why? because no matter how hard spike tried to show his love for her, no matter how many unbelievably noble things he did, buffy couldn't let herself love him the way she loved angel. so although this decision is still quite gray, i think she might pick angel. but then again.. maybe not

HaveSumFaith

[10]May 10, 2007
    • level: 23
    i think spike might have loved Buffy a little more to the point of obsession but she definately loves angel more.

DietCoke1717

[11]May 10, 2007
    • level: 5

Don't hate me, but I think Buffy loved Spike more.  They night where they just held each other and looked into each other's eyes sealed it for me.

Angel was Buffy's first love.  I don't think that he was her true love.

Kennymacdougall

[12]May 10, 2007
    Uh oh, I bet there will be someone who will post something about this...

mossoholic

[13]May 10, 2007
    Normally I would, but there realy isn't a point. Everything they give us in the show and everything that everyone that matters in the situation (Joss Whedon, SMG, DB, and Marsters) all say that it is Buffy and Angel. If you don't get it then there is probably no hope for you. I don't see how you can watch all 7 seasons of Buffy and I Will Remember You and come up with even a decent argument that Buffy loves Spike more than Angel. Buffy would be with Angel at the drop of a hat.

Kennymacdougall

[14]May 10, 2007
    She loves em both, end of story

Adelette

[15]May 10, 2007
    • level: 42

First of all, I love Buffy and Angel and I do believe he was her first and truest love. I love Spike for different reasons, but I agree that Buffy loved Angel more than anyone or anything in her life. If she could have been with him, she would have. However...

mossoholic wrote:
    Everything they give us in the show and everything that everyone that matters in the situation (Joss Whedon, SMG, DB, and Marsters) all say that it is Buffy and Angel.

But this comment is just untrue. The audience's input matters. It matters very much. Joss originally intended to kill Xander at the end of season 7 but changed his mind because he thought it would hurt the fans too badly. Joss was never afraid to do things to make us feel, but he also took our needs and feelings into account. And he realized that after Tara's death, killing off Xander (or any of the core four) might be too much. So he poked his eye out instead. (On a less warm and fuzzy note this might have had to do with the fear that fans might not watch in syndication or buy the DVDs if Xander was to die.) But I do believe it was more than just network-suits related reasons: Joss told us at the Angel Booster Bash that he didn't want to hurt the fans by killing Xander. He told us that our thoughts mattered to him, because without the fanbase, Buffy would not, could not have succeeded. To make a blanket statement saying that only Joss, SMG and DB matter, is unfair and untrue. Joss didn't let the fans make his decisions, but we were certainly a factor in them.

All that aside, I'll reiterate that Angel was Buffy's true love. However, I don't think a person only has one true love in life. Many people are widowed and marry again... happily. Both spouses mattered very much to them for different reasons, and they loved both - maybe in different ways, but still with real and true love. If its true that there's only ONE true love per person, then we must live in a sad and loveless world. Why? Because chances of finding only one person in a population of six billion is pretty slim. I don't think it works that way - I don't think the Universe is so cruel as to offer only one chance at finding true love. Angel might have been Buffy's first and truest love, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have found something real and meaningful with Spike. The trouble was that their relationship was built on violence and a relationship needs to be built on mutual trust and respect. She finally found that with Spike but not until they already had a history of violence and hatred. Just as their was too much history with Angel, so it was true with Spike. In the end, neither vampire could make her complete.

Edited on 05/10/2007 6:14pm
    Edited 2 total times.

mossoholic

[16]May 10, 2007
    Everything I have watched in both Buffy and Angel has made me believe that it is supposed to be Buffy and Angel. I wonder, have some of you people read what Joss Whedon, SMG, DB, and Marsters have said about the relationships between Buffy and Angel and Buffy and Spike? I'm not saying fan input doesn't matter, but when everything in the show leads me to believe Buffy and Angel are meant to be and the guy who made the damn show flat out says that they are more or less the one true couple I don't really think you can make a compelling argument for Buffy and Spike. It probably doesn't help that Buffy told Spike she loved him one single time and he even knew she was lieing about it. Buffy was never IN LOVE with Spike. Buffy and Angel love each other just about as much as you can love anyone.

Kennymacdougall

[17]May 10, 2007
    Wow...very nicely said...

Kennymacdougall

[18]May 10, 2007
    I meant Adelette of course. Nice theory, and it does make sense. Good points

Kennymacdougall

[19]May 10, 2007

mossoholic wrote:
    Everything I have watched in both Buffy and Angel has made me believe that it is supposed to be Buffy and Angel. I wonder, have some of you people read what Joss Whedon, SMG, DB, and Marsters have said about the relationships between Buffy and Angel and Buffy and Spike? I'm not saying fan input doesn't matter, but when everything in the show leads me to believe Buffy and Angel are meant to be and the guy who made the damn show flat out says that they are more or less the one true couple I don't really think you can make a compelling argument for Buffy and Spike. It probably doesn't help that Buffy told Spike she loved him one single time and he even knew she was lieing about it. Buffy was never IN LOVE with Spike. Buffy and Angel love each other just about as much as you can love anyone.

Although there will always be one who loves the other one more than the other loves him/her. Oh well, in the end it is not about love but all about attraction and feromones. 

lozharris

[20]May 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    Kennymacdougall wrote:

mossoholic wrote:

Although there will always be one who loves the other one more than the other loves him/her. Oh well, in the end it is not about love but all about attraction and feromones.

Do you mean pheromones? I wouldn't have thought that vampires would have them...