Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

syfy aired buffy today but they messed up episodes?

Sci-FiLover22

[1]Jul 21, 2013
    • level: 3

okay syfy still showing btvs now even as i write this.its 7/21/12 and its 5:36 central time.oh yeah im in tn.anyhow its been on since about 8a.m.

their only showing the certain eps that move the plot along which is fine.

the problem is the dvds are very different from how their airing on tv.like on dvds their are certain lines that when are on tv is not said.

for example on becoming part 2.joyce how ask buffy did jendra exploded like that man.when syfy aired it the line was i guess cut out.or when the police caught buffy when she got to kendra body.on the dvds buffy and the principal got into it.buffy called the principal a stupied troll while on syfy that line is cut out.

so why is when the show on tv they cut out certain stuff thats ont he dvds?i can see if it was rated r or somethign like hbo shows but its btvs.

spelling i knw if u can still understand what im saying im good.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Jul 21, 2013
    • level: 103
    As time progresses on TV networks, more time is allocated to advertising. So an episode that ran 44 minutes long 10+ years ago when an episode premiered wont' not fit into the current 41-42 minutes of non-commercial air-time in an hour that is available now.

So they probably trimmed a minute or two off the episode to fit into SyFy's hour slot.

Sci-FiLover22

[3]Jul 22, 2013
    • level: 3
    Gislef wrote:
    As time progresses on TV networks, more time is allocated to advertising. So an episode that ran 44 minutes long 10+ years ago when an episode premiered wont' not fit into the current 41-42 minutes of non-commercial air-time in an hour that is available now.

So they probably trimmed a minute or two off the episode to fit into SyFy's hour slot.

oh thanks because i sure was wondering like why are stuff cut out lol

LorelaiRory

[4]Aug 22, 2013
    • level: 4

I saw most of that marathon and it's true that they cut stuff out for time. Unfortunately, they also cut out a couple of songs (or parts of songs) from the episode: "Once More With Feeling." For instance, they cut out "What Can't We Face If We're Together?" and just skipped right to the part where Xander says: "See that was disturbing.." and the rest of the scene. It's too bad that they feel that it's better to short=change the audience than to have a few less commercials when they do a marathon like that.

basiadora

[5]Sep 8, 2013
    • level: 1
    LorelaiRory wrote:

I saw most of that marathon and it's true that they cut stuff out for time. Unfortunately, they also cut out a couple of songs (or parts of songs) from the episode: "Once More With Feeling." For instance, they cut out "What Can't We Face If We're Together?" and just skipped right to the part where Xander says: "See that was disturbing.." and the rest of the scene. It's too bad that they feel that it's better to short=change the audience than to have a few less commercials when they do a marathon like that.

That, plus I noticed that most of the parts that are missing are the fragments that do not get ripped if you are trying to rip the DVD to avi. I prefer to have the episodes on my computer for quicker access, but they don't copy entirely - some fragments just don't. Some of them are kind of adult content (like most of the Heather Nova's "It's Only Love" song with Xander/Anya, Willow/Kennedy & Faith/Robin love scenes from s7ep20 "Touched") but some other are just random scenes that don't appear in copied avi files. I wonder if that is some kind of way of ensuring that people will buy the DVDs.

I heard that when they show the series in Europe now those fragments also get ommitted.

showinuse9

[6]Sep 11, 2013
    • level: 11
    I hate that about syndication. They cut stuff for time or shorten good scenes. I want MORE scenes and extended scenes rather than less scenes and dialogue. I'll be honest I'm still waiting for a Buffy dvd that will show the deleted scenes. 2 episodes that I already am sure have deleted scenes was Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered season 2 and Out of my Mind season 5 because I have seen either pictures online or I saw in the original trailers when it aired but wasn't in the final cut