Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

The Next Gen

OctoberGirl9

[1]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 8

In high school I brought all my friends in to the buffyverse and they have yet to leave. Lately, on my side of the world the weather keeps us in. My bro and his gf have spring break and ask "what do we do?" I said lets watch Buffy. Of course at first they said no, it's stupid and old...It's strange how the name just turns ppl off the show before they even see. Needless to say they killed three seasons in one weekend. She coming over again this weekend and both are adamant that I show them more. They love it, remember qoutes. Chey, my bro's gf, even texted her friends to talk about it. Then called her mom, guess who's getting all seven seasons of Buffy and five seasons of Angel for making good grades...

What I want to know, is that how many older fans bring in new fans without really meaning too. Does this have anything to do with why the show still so popular today? and/or is it just this Twilight buisness making ppl interested in vamps again? I'm rushing this and I'm just curious as to how many ppl just add more fans by simply being fans themselves. Any of this making sense? lol sorry gotta run

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alias571

[2]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 18

I'm always trying to make my friends watch Buffy, but I haven't been really succesful. The farthest I got was to get this friend of mine to watch the first 3 episodes and I'm not so sure that she did. And yes, it's usually because they dismiss it as something childish and stupid.

Lady_Lancaster

[3]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 41

Speaking for myself, all 5 of my children love "Buffy" because I allowed them to watch it when they were old enough. The name of the show puts just about anybody older off watching it and I can't say I blame them because the name really is pretty awful if you want anybody other than young teens to tune in. A lot of my children's friends have become "Buffy" fans because my children are so fond of it, so the cause continues.

spikemaniac

[5]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 50
    I have a few friends who know I love Buffy and have stated that they want to watch it with me. I think it's half because of the vampire trend, and half because I think geek is really in right now (well it is here anyway) and with geek comes Firefly and with Firefly comes Buffy.

LeytonTLA

[6]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 16

i always try to get my friends to watch buffy but they would rather watch the newer stuff i have on dvd, plus i think with it having seven seasons and angel having 5 seasons people dont want to wait that long to see how it ends - if that makes sense

DeadMessenger82

[7]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 12
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:

The name of the show puts just about anybody older off watching it and I can't say I blame them because the name really is pretty awful .

that's so weird, i never watched buffy when i was younger because i wasn't allowed, my older brother and sister would all watch it and i had to go to bed, devo. anyway i still grew up with the term "buffy the vampire slayer" around, it was just another name. i never really consisdered it as a good or bad name it was what it was; a dark show about a woman killing vampires...that didn't insterest me a single bit. about a year ago there was this special promotional boxset buffy and angel deal on tv, they described the shows...still not interested.
    then one fateful friday night, one in the morning, im wrecked but can't be bothered going to bed, i turn on the tv and a special promotional aring of the buffy pilot is playing ,the second ep from almost the start.
    "hey is this buffy?"...still not interested. the opening credits role and a wolf howls, just as i go to change the channel the howl is becomes indie rock, there is awesome clips, 30 minutes later, the earth is doomed...and i was in love. come sun rise i'd run through the whole first season on my computer.

that's how I became a fan, had to see it to believe it.
    i think the fact they still have it in sindication is why it's still so poopular aswell... i dont know why but i never take people's opinions of shows very seriously, im like "please, your taste could in no way be as complex as mine," but it always is.
    =]

sollunaestrella

[8]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 7

spikemaniac wrote:
    I have a few friends who know I love Buffy and have stated that they want to watch it with me. I think it's half because of the vampire trend, and half because I think geek is really in right now (well it is here anyway) and with geek comes Firefly and with Firefly comes Buffy.

Exactly this for me too. (Well, I don't know if geek is "in" necessarily, but I certainly am one and most of my favorite people are as well. ) I haven't explicitly gotten anyone into the show yet, but the friend who introduced me to Firefly wanted to watch Buffy around the same time I did and I beat him to it, so then I re-watched a lot of it with him (and lent him my later-season DVDs). I also encouraged him to follow up with Angel. I've lent out DVDs a few other times to interested friends and family, but they were always already into it.

I have other Firefly-loving friends too, and I really want to get them to watch Buffy, but it's impossible to find the time. Some of them are curious. One of them has seen bits of season one and refuses to watch any more, and he constantly makes fun of it.

I don't think the current vampire fad has to do with the show's survival, though, even if it's a part of a spike in popularity (I really haven't been a fan long enough to be able to tell if this is such a spike or not). This is just anecdotal evidence, but I personally have no love for vampires in general. (And I hate Twilight, but that's beside the point and actually has nothing to do with vampires as such). Buffy is a special case for me. I think Buffy will endure the test of time purely on its own merit, although I think most of us knew that already.

rockworm5039

[9]Mar 26, 2010
    • level: 9
    I'm actually a relatively new fan of Whedon's work Didn't get into buffy utnil years after they were over. I didn't even know about Firefly until I went and saw Serenity the movie.
    Unfortunately other than my younger sister theres no one else I know who will even give this show a chance. I have one friend who claims to hate it with a passion and groans whenever I mention it to him so he's out of the question.

rockworm5039

[10]Mar 27, 2010
    So I have been trying to get my dad into the show because I KNOW that he would like it. The problem is that he's a stubborn SOB and refuses to give it a shot his reason "the movie is better period".... Thats right folks my dad loved the movie and thinks that the show ruined it....
    /facepalm

Lady_Lancaster

[11]Mar 28, 2010
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    So I have been trying to get my dad into the show because I KNOW that he would like it. The problem is that he's a stubborn SOB and refuses to give it a shot his reason "the movie is better period".... Thats right folks my dad loved the movie and thinks that the show ruined it....
    /facepalm

There are a lot of people who don't think movies transfer well to television and if your dad enjoyed the film, he might feel that way. Who knows, he might give it a chance one day.

spikemaniac

[12]Mar 28, 2010
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    /facepalm

Good lord.

Lady_Lancaster

[13]Mar 28, 2010
    spikemaniac wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    /facepalm

Good lord.

*grin*. I'm sure at least 5 people in the world loved the movie ...

rockworm5039

[14]Mar 28, 2010
    LOL yeah both my parents are like this. I was arguing with my dad yesterday because he had the day off from work so I figured what better time right? He'd rather watch retarded movies that was on TV.
    Heres how it went down.
    "come on I know you'll like it."
    "no"
    "why not"
    "because I don't wan't to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer" He emphasises the shows name very rudely.
    Mom hears it in the other room as she's playing solitaire on the computer.
    "We liked the movie just let it go son"
    "but the movie sucked."
    "not to us it didn't we thought it was cute and fun"
    "but buffy isn't supposed to be cute and fun."
    "thats why we don't like the show."
    I realize I'm wasting my time so I give up deciding no longer to bother them about it.... A little piece of me dies inside as I wonder if I was adopted.
    LOL

spikemaniac

[15]Mar 29, 2010
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    spikemaniac wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    /facepalm

Good lord.

Yeah but not better than the TV show!

rockword5039, your parents sound quite stubborn! My parents rock. They're the ones that were obsessed with Buffy and got me into it in the first place!

rockworm5039

[16]Mar 29, 2010
    spikemaniac wrote:
    Lady_Lancaster wrote:
    spikemaniac wrote:
    rockworm5039 wrote:
    /facepalm

Good lord.

Yeah but not better than the TV show!

rockword5039, your parents sound quite stubborn! My parents rock. They're the ones that were obsessed with Buffy and got me into it in the first place!

LOL not just stubborn but bad taste like nothing else.
    My mom will watch any old reality show that comes on and get mad whenever I mock it UGH. Dads too busy watching CSI: Miami (religiously) and Road to Avonlea...... wtf my dad cries while watching it too. This is barbie dress up the show and my dad watches it more than I watch my buffy...
    I have officially given up on getting them into my stuff they'd probably taint it with their lameness.

showinuse9

[17]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 11
    *shamelessly admits i loved the movie*

I think with your parents maybe they ARE worried that the show is better, i think they are different but good in their own rights, and maybe the movie just holds a historical significance for them that they dont want to let go. Sort of like a comfort thing. lol sorry im a psych minor, i love trying this stuff on people i never met. hah

rockworm5039

[18]Mar 31, 2010
    Nope its as simple as "our son likes this so we have to hate it"
    sad but true. My dad has it in his head that anything I like is automatically gonna suck... The irony here is both of us think the Dark Knight was the best movie.

showinuse9

[19]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 11
    let me try some more of my psych on you if your cool with that. I'm guessing your dad is a guy who likes to shoot down ideas unless he thinks of them first, even if he likes the idea. But sometimes he eventually caves on something he likes and tries to say it like it was his idea the whole time? lol i think thats the way my parents are at least lol

rockworm5039

[20]Apr 1, 2010
    I dunno interestingly enough he enjoys my 24 DVDs which in of itself is amazing but when it comes to this he flat out refuses to give it a try.