Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Unpin and lock me please! (Buffy Questions and Answers)

BuffyAnneLove

[1]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 58
    Q
    Why didn't a new Slayer get called when Buffy died in The Gift?
    A
    As we know, a new Slayer is activated once the previous Slayer dies. As for the reason another one does not get called from Buffy's death in The Gift, one already has been called. When Buffy died the first time in Prophecy Girl, Kendra the Vampire Slayer was called. That was Buffy's replacement in the Slayer line.

Q
    When Spike got his soul in the episode Grave, did he know he was going to get a soul, or was he trying to get the chip out of his head?
    A
    Spike went there with the intention of getting his soul. So yes, he knew that he was going to get his soul returned to him.

Q
    What ever happened to Buffy's job at The Doublemeat Palace?
    A
    We can only assume that she had that job until getting her councilor job at Sunnydale High School. It is never stated when exactly she leaves.

Q
    What is the correct spelling of the character's name, Xander or Zander?
    A
    The correct spelling would be with an X (as in AleXander).

Q
    What is Ripper?
    A
    Ripper was Giles' nickname back when he was a wild child. When Buffy was reaching its end, there were rumors of a television show with the title Ripper, based on Giles' character, would come to production after the end of Buffy. Although it did not happen, there are still rumors of the possible production going on today.

Q
    In the episode Normal Again, we see that Buffy is in a mental institution. Is that supposed to be the reality, or was it really an effect from the psychotic toxins?
    A
    Some of the people behind the episode have stated that it is left open for us viewers to decide which is the reality.

Q
    Why does Buffy suddenly have a sister in season 5?
    A
    We see in Buffy vs. Dracula that Buffy suddenly has a little sis. The following episode, Real Me, goes into a little more detail on our new character. It is not until the episode No Place Like Home that we, and Buffy, get an explanation of Buffy's new little sister, Dawn. To avoid possible spoilers, please highlight after this to go into further detail about the coming of Dawn:In the fifth season, we get a new character, Dawn. Throughout the season, we learn that Dawn is actually a key. There were a group of Monks who protected this key from the hellgod Glorificus, or Glory for short. The key was a ball of energy that could rip through the fabric of our dimension and transport Glorificus to her home dimension. In order to protect the rip in dimensions, they made the key into human form. They then sent the key to the slayer, for extra protection from Glorificus, and made false memories for everyone to think that she was Buffy's little sister, and always has been.

Q
    If vampires have no breath, how do they breathe and smoke?
    A
    While Angel does state in Prophecy Girl that he cannot perform CPR on Buffy because he has no breath, we learn throughout the series that vampires do have breath, just not a lot of it. They have enough to smoke or breath heavy in a fight or struggle, but not enough to give CPR.

Q
    How can vampires bleed if their hearts to not beat? Also, how was Spike able to make Drusilla pass out in Becoming Part 2?
    A
    We can assume that the answer for both of those are related. While we know that vampires do not have a heart beat, we can only assume that they do have some kind of circulation in their body. While it may be minor compared to humans, they do have some blood flow in their bodies.

Q
    In what episode is it that we Xander stake a female vampire as we see in some versions of the opening theme?
    A
    That clip is from the season 2 episode Phases. The scene takes place in a funeral home where the girl's body is at for her wake.

Q
    Where did Spike get the scar about his eye?
    A
    The answer to this lies within the season 5 episode Fool For Love. We learn that in Spike's first battle with a slayer in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion, that the slayer cuts him with her sword right above his eye. So Spike got his scar from a slayer in 1900.

Q
    In some of the opening credits, it shows Buffy twirling around a stake. What episode is that from?
    A
    That scene is from the season 4 episode, The Freshman.

Q
    In some of the opening credits, we see Buffy running down the hall at Sunnydale High in slow motion with a long blue-greenish long jacket on. What episode is that from?
    A
    That scene is from the season 2 episode, Becoming, Part 1. The scene is at the end of the episode when Buffy is running back to the library after learning that she was lured into leaving her friends and finding out it was all a trap to get her away from her friends so they can be attacked.

Q
    What episode is it that Xander and Harmony have their infamous "fight?"
    A
    That "fight" is in the season 4 episode, The Initiative.

Q
    Why is it that the Bringers did not kill slayers from all around the world?
    A
    In a few episodes of season 7, Buffy is having prophetic dreams about girls from all over the world being killed by the Bringers, so they actually were killing the girls that they could find, from all over the world.

Q
    In the episode The Harsh Light of Day, Buffy says that she is planning on giving the Gem of Amara to Angel. Does she ever do this?
    A
    At the end of the episode, Oz offers to take it to L.A. to Angel since his band has a gig there. We then see Oz on Buffy's spin-off show, Angel, in the season 1 episode, In the Dark. To avoid possible spoilers, please highlight after this to go into further detail about what happened with the Gem of Amara on Angel:The episode's name of In the Dark alone could be a hint of what happened to the ring. On The Harsh Light of Day, we see that Spike can go into the "harsh light of day" because of the ring. While In the Dark represents that he no longer can go into that light. After Oz gives the ring to Angel, Spike starts trouble with Angel, Cordelia, and Doyle in his efforts to try to find the Gem of Amara, which Angel wisely hid. After Angel runs Spike back out of town and debates the pro's that come along with the Gem of Amara, he figures that the con's are too many and he then destroys the Gem of Amara.

Q
    What is that song that Buffy and Faith dance to in the episode Bad Girls? The song is also on the menu's of the US season 3 DVDs.
    A
    The song in question is Chinese Burn by the band Curve.

Q
    Where are the "Easter Eggs" on the US DVDs?
    A
    There are a few "Easter Eggs" on some of the DVDs. They include….

**Season 6, disc 2. While on the main menu, select to go to the episode Once More With Feeling. While on that episode menu, select to go to "Language." On the language menu, highlight "Resume Episode" and press the up button on your remote while having the "Resume Episode" feature highlight. A hidden "B" Buffy logo will then appear. When you click on that, you should then get a feature of autographed signing of the Once More With Feeling Soundtrack that Joss Whedon and Michelle Trachtenberg were present for.

**Season 6, disc 4. While on the main menu, select to go to the episode Doublemeat Palace. While on that episode menu, select to go to "Language." On the language menu, highlight "Resume Episode" and press the up button on your remote while having the "Resume Episode" feature highlight. A hidden "B" Buffy logo will then appear. When you click on that, you should get instructions on how to access a printable "Call Sheet" for the episode Normal Again.

**Season 7, disc 6. While on the main menu, select to go to "Special Features." While on that special features menu, highlight the selection for The Last Sundown. After that is highlighted, press the left button on your remote. You should now have a hidden "B" Buffy logo highlighted. After clicking that, you will see the "previously on" they showed on The Gift that contains a montage with clips from all of the previous 99 episodes.

If you have a question of your own about Buffy, please do not hesitate to ask in this thread! If we know it, we will answer!

This is the thread for everyone who has questions about the show to get answers.
    Edited on 07/02/2008 7:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MetroidSA-X

[2]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 20
    Awesome job Holly!
    Now you just have to get it pinned and the othe unpinned...

sarahkpn

[3]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 10

jfhlbuffy

[4]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 13
    Wow, Holly! You're incredible!! Very well done!!

BuffyAnneLove

[5]Dec 10, 2005
    Hope I did an alright job.

This is basically a continuation of "Buffy FAQ."
    I added a few more common questions. From the "Buffy FAQ," I took out the more stand out questions. I reworded all of the questions and answers that were taken from "Buffy FAQ" to make it look a little better too.

If you have a question about Buffy, please do not hesitate to ask! If we know it, we will answer!

Someone feel free to go about the PMing to get this pinned and the other one unpinned. I'm too lazy after the many hours it took me to make that!

MetroidSA-X

[6]Dec 10, 2005
    BuffyAnneLove wrote:

If you have a question about Buffy, please do not hesitate to ask! If we know it, we will answer!

You should put that in the first post.

BuffyAnneLove

[7]Dec 10, 2005
    MetroidSA-X wrote:
    You should put that in the first post.

Ok, I added it.

supreme_dar

[8]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 4
    BuffyAnneLove wrote:
    Q
    When Spike got his soul in the episode Grave, did he know he was going to get a soul, or was he trying to get the chip out of his head?
    A
    Spike went there with the intention of getting his soul. So yes, he knew that he was going to get his soul returned to him.

are you sure about that? Troughout the season he was fixated to get that chip removed out of his head, so I'm wondering how you came to that conclusion.

He said that he wanted to become like he used to be, so normally I assumed he ment that he wanted to be a normal vampire again; so getting the chip removed.

Also that creature did not make him like he used to be, sure he used to have a soul, but did not have a vampire body, but a human body. What that demon did was giving him a soul in his vampire body.

This is not what he used to be, and when he got his soul he was shocked and I was shocked. He wanted to be a vampire again or human, but not a vampire/human ala Angel. Because that is not what he used to be.

BuffyAnneLove

[9]Dec 10, 2005
    I got it from the first FAQ!

He did go there to get a soul, but they worded it to where the viewers would think that he meant to have his chip removed (keeping us in suspence, hence why they did not say SOUL until the last word of the episode). What he meant with "how he used to be," was meaning a good person. Not necessarily not a vampire, but just a good person because he felt awful about what he did to Buffy, the woman who he loved.

supreme_dar

[10]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 4
    Really? Because if that's the case, Weddon sure did a good job to fool me, since Spike got all angry and got on his bike and said to himself something like: "Just wait and see slayer ...bla bla bla (can't remember it exactly)"
    He was talking he was looking forward to get some revenge, you know payback time.

BuffyAnneLove

[11]Dec 10, 2005
    They did do a good job at making us shocked with the dialogue. It sounded like he was going to get his chip out, but if you go back, it makes sense for getting his soul back.

And why would he go to a cave in Africa to have a demon who can reinstate souls take his chip out?

jfhlbuffy

[12]Dec 10, 2005
    If you don't beleive Holly, watch the A&E special on disc three of the Season 6 DVDs we were talking about in the other thread.

*Quoting as best I can*

Question: Did Spike go to get his chip out?

Joss Whedon: No, you were meant to think that. It's this thing I invented called a plot twist.

Another thing in that special feature, about the Doublemeat Palace question is that they actually had to lose it because the sponsers were very unhappy about them making fun of fast food places.

BuffyAnneLove

[13]Dec 10, 2005
    Did anyone do the PMing to get this one pinned and the other one unpinned yet?

MetroidSA-X

[14]Dec 10, 2005
    Who do I pm?

buffyTVSrox

[15]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 33
    MetroidSA-X: I want to ask something I’ve never known.
    When spike got his soul did he know that he was gonna get a soul or was he trying to get the chip out of his head???
    I was never sure about this.

---------------------------- ----------------------------

BuffyAnneLove: He went there for the purpose to get a soul, had nothing to do with the chip.

MetroidSA-X: yeah but when he said he would restore his soul spike looked surprised. Also i dont see why a soulless vampire would want to get a soul.

Beolach_Galdur: I think he just wanted to be able to kill humans. But the demon took "Restore to former self" as before he was Vamped.

ilovedb:
    MetroidSA-X wrote:
    yeah but when he said he would restore his soul spike looked surprised. Also i dont see why a soulless vampire would want to get a soul. [/QUOTE]
    Because he was different and more human than most vampires and got the soul for Buffy.

Beolach_Galdur: It makes no sense that a souless vampire would want his soul back. Angel in season two hated the idea of restoration.

BuffyAnneLove: He wanted to give her what she deserves.

After the attempted rape thing, he felt awful about it because he loved her. He thought that she deserved so much better then rape. So he left to go get her someone should could learn to like, someone with a soul.

As for the look-maybe he was surprised that he actually did it, went through the trials....or it could have been the pain

Beolach_Galdur: He's a souless demon. He can't love, i think Joss covered this at one stage...But he can be obsessed, which he was. That why he stayed.

BuffyAnneLove: But the Judge said that Spike and Dru had some humanity in them because they could love.

Apostasies: [QUOTE=”Beolach_Galdur”] He's a souless demon. He can't love, i think Joss covered this at one stage...But he can be obsessed, which he was. That why he stayed.[/QUOTE]

He can love, that's the point of much of what is Spike's arc. Whedon never covered that, in fact, his demons are very multi-layered, something that is made clear more and more as the series progresses. Demons are not all innately evil, just as humans are not all innately good.

jfhlbuffy: Spike DID want his soul. That was never a question. There were many things in the Buffyverse that were left up to the viewer to decide, that wasn't one of them.

deleteuser

[16]Dec 10, 2005
    • level: 1
    buffyTVSrox wrote:

MetroidSA-X: yeah but when he said he would restore his soul spike looked surprised. Also i dont see why a soulless vampire would want to get a soul.
    I agree with this, I mean he had no soul, every vampire seems to look down on the whole having a soul thing.

jfhlbuffy

[17]Dec 10, 2005
    Oh my God, can we give this a rest? You want to argue this, then go argue with Joss Whedon! Tell the guy creator of this show, the one who thought up this arc in fact, what he was thinking when he made it, because clearly he doesn't know!

Geez!

deleteuser

[18]Dec 10, 2005
    Well I guess you are right, you don't have to be so angry about it though.

jfhlbuffy

[19]Dec 10, 2005
    Yes, I do, because this has been brought up time and time again, and then a few more hundred times for good measure. And then once more for overkill, and then again to annoy me. Then, it was brought up again, and yet again. Then this time, and probably will be again in the future.

See my point?

deleteuser

[20]Dec 10, 2005
    I guess, but I'm new here so give me a break.