Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Was Sunnydale all a dream?

that70sshow2000

[1]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 15

In that S6 episode, Normal Again, was Sunnydale, Slayers, vampires, Xander, Willow, witchcraft, Giles, etc etc, all a dream and hulluicinations by a crazy girl, Buffy Summers? And the fact Buffy went on in the rest of the series to be in "Sunnydale" and continued fighting vampires means that crazy girl couldn't get out of her hullucinations, and the doctor, Buffy's parents, failed in helping her.

It makes sense; this crazy girl, makes herself the center of this small town, gives herself a father figure, a sister, several boyfriends, etc. In that episode, they made us believe her being in the hospital was the alternate reality and Sunnydale was the real one. But perhaps Sunnydale is the alternate one, one that this crazy girl Buffy Summers has created.

What do you think? I wonder what Joss W.'s thoughts about that episode and the issue was/were. If anything. This is making my head hurt...lol.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyTVSrox

[2]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 33
    Joss has said that it is open for the viewer to decide what to believe. I, personally, would rather see the show as a fantastic reality full of complex and interesting people than a hallucination of a tragically insane girl who may as well be in a world no more interesting than ours.

Katz_uk27

[3]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 13

I have to think that if it is all made up in crazy Buffy's head don't you think it might have been a happier world. I'm of the opinion that if you were to go to all the effort of creating a world in your head to escape to ok it might not be perfect but would you really kill yourself twice, evil boyfriend, bad boyfriend, kill off your mother, have no money and eventually separate yourself from your friends.

What kind of world would you go there to hide from.

watcher1006

[4]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 10
    Well a drab and boring world, maybe. Also, at least in the world of the show even if everything isn't peachy for Buffy she is someone very special in it.

It was an extremely clever idea of that episode that the world in which the insane asylum, the doctor, and her mom existed bore such a resemblance to our own (dull) world.

tennisrobe26

[5]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 22
    I don't like the crazy girl reality prefer the kick vampire ass one.

Carycomic

[6]Jul 17, 2007

Then, again: the nightmare hallucination of a crazy girl would certainly explain that shark-jumping song-and-dance episode!

Please, Mr. Whedon: don't ever sink that low, again!!!

Edited on 07/17/2007 12:39pm

Firetears

[7]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 23
    Carycomic wrote:

Then, again: the nightmare hallucination of a crazy girl would certainly explain that shark-jumping song-and-dance episode!

Please, Mr. Whedon: don't ever sink that low, again!!!

I actually thought Buffy was the only show that did a musical episode justice. Not only because it was a good episode, but because it actually made sense. It was better than them randomly singing and dancing like most shows do. At least they had a reason that fit their universe.

clockworx23

[8]Jul 19, 2007
    • level: 17

I actually thought OMWF was an insanely unique idea and pretty much the opposite of "jumping the shark." I would say Normal Again would be considered more of a shark jumping episode because of the fact that the idea and plot of the episode had been used numerous times in various other shows. I personally loved the episode but didnt like how it left the viewer hanging while others feel differently.

CrazyLady22

[9]Jul 21, 2007
    PersonallyI think Normal Again is just another example of how brilliant Joss Whedon is. I mean he basically put questions in everyone's mind on weather or not the entire show was a complete lie??? Personally I believe that Buffy is really the slayer and that Sunnydale is a very real very hellmouthy place (in the fictional sense) I mean to believe otherwise would IMO completely discredit what we love about the show.

fitz_15

[10]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    I also think that Normal Again as an example of how brilliant Joss Whedon is.He just gave us another thing to debate to death!!I would prefer to think that Sunnydale was not a figament of some poor insane girl's imagination....I also think that it was real.When Buffy told her Mom she was a vampire slayer(even tho'that whole in a band with Spike lie was going so well!lol!)Joyce was all shocked and saying things like "have you tried not being a vampire slayer?" but if Buffy had already being going on about vampires and been in an insane asylum coz of it would her mom not be all like ok hunny let's go back to the nice men with the white jackets?!Unless she was halluncation what ahe told her mom....now i'm offically confused!Anyway if anyone can dream us as good and complex(not to mention hot!)charachters such as Angel and Spike....she still rocks!

electricpeppers

[11]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 26
    Urgh Normal Again, that episode made me want to gouge my eyes out... not really but it's incredibly maddening all the same. What was the point in investing in a show where perhaps nothing is even real in the context of the show itself. That whole thing was a cop-out. If the writers aren't bothered and were willing to mock the show so gratuitously then why should I be? I just try and pretend that episode never existed. Smallville did a better mental hospital episode, heck even Charmed managed a better one than Buffy!
    Edited on 07/26/2007 6:01am

michael_LB92

[12]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 24
    I thought it was OK, but it bent the reality of the show a little too much for me. I like my reality stable and very non we're-actually-watching-the-sequences-of-a-crazy-girl-y.

EvilPrawns

[13]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 8
    I liked the episode, but I am not sure that the open ending was such a good idea. As some of you have already said it makes us question the whole show. If you do believe that it is all a halucination the rest of the show is pointless.

electricpeppers

[14]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 26
    EvilPrawns wrote:
    If you do believe that it is all a halucination the rest of the show is pointless.

Exactly.

watcher1006

[15]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 10
    I found that stretch of the show really depressing, with episodes like "Doublemeat Palace", "Dead Things", "As You Were", and "Normal Again". Like, just how dreary was it all going to get?

weareforever

[16]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 5

watcher1006 wrote:
    I found that stretch of the show really depressing, with episodes like "Doublemeat Palace", "Dead Things", "As You Were", and "Normal Again". Like, just how dreary was it all going to get?

I totally agree.. Doublemeat Palace has to be one of the most depressing episodes ever!

michael_LB92

[17]Jul 27, 2007
    weareforever wrote:

watcher1006 wrote:

I totally agree.. Doublemeat Palace has to be one of the most depressing episodes ever!

I hate Dead Things. It's my least favourite episode. Ever!

buffyesque

[18]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 3
    I choose not to believe the episode. I think it's very purpose is to throw off the viewer.

Why would the show Angel even exist then? Buffy dreams that as well then? She must have a very vivid and extensive imagination!! LOL

KristarGirl

[19]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 8

In the end of that episode didn't the crazy sick Buffy die? Or did she go into a catatonic state?

Anyway, I think that in the show, Sunnydale is real and that the Buffy in the mental institution part was caused by the demon and nothing more. There would be no use for the show otherwise.

michael_LB92

[20]Jul 29, 2007
    How bad would it be if they did Buffy, Angel and then a Faith spinoff, and in the last episode of Faith, they have Buffy wake up from her craziness, and we find out the characters and storylines we'd loved and cherrished all these years were the hallucinations of a crazy girl!?

Pretty bad!