TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

what kind of guy watches buffy?

cindycee

[1]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 8

no seriously, i am curious. i absolutely love buffy, and angel come to think of it, one of them is always in my dvd player, im addicted, ive been watching them constantly for at least the past five years. so im curious as to what attracts men to buffy, a show which i see as distinctly feminist, a show about a strong woman. i havent come across many men who understand the concept of a strong woman, or if they do, they dont like it.

so what attracts men to buffy the vampire slayer, why do they watch it, besides smg being hot and all that, there has to be more to it. what do they love about it, how do they connect with it, how does it influence them etc. and also, where do i find a man like this lol, i have always wanted a boyfriend who loves buffy, someone to sit down and watch it with, that loves it as much as i do, or even a friend for that matter, my friends dont watch or understand it (i dont get them) and i just think it would rule.

but then again, maybe im just an addict!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jemaa09

[2]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 10
    umm, ok. I'm a guy, and I LOVE Buffy, and Angel (but to a lesser extent) I'm not a hardcore feminist, but I love the fact that the safety of the world depends on this seemingly average girl. Besides that, it's just an all out brilliant show, the writing is amazing and the characters are instantly lovable. To answer your question though....Guys with taste watch Buffy.

TwistedConverse

[3]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 23
    I love it bcuase it has good storylines, good characters and plenty of action.

Plus, SMG runs around lots and is very hot.

Telekinesis429

[4]Aug 20, 2008

I'm a guy and i LOVE buffy too. I actually started watching it after my older brother bought the first season. Other than the obvious facts that SMG is VERY attractive [along with the rest of the female cast], I also enjoy the violence. But...other than that, I love how real the show is. I don't mean demons and vampires and magic, I mean the fact that life itself can seem like hell and everything is confusing and hard and seems like the end of the world [just like Season 6 when everyone is all depressed!]. I like that people can easily relate to the emotions of the show.

fabiosy

[5]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm a guy and Buffy and Angel are my two favorite shows.

I like Buffy because it has a brilliant story, great characters, among other things.

degrassi_lover

[6]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 21
    I'm a guy and I adore Buffy and Angel

eimajamie

[7]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'm a guy and when I was very young I only used to watch it for SMG and the violence, but as I've grown up I've just fallen in love with the characters and storylines with all its twists and amazing scenes.

noahkeeling

[8]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 4
    i'm a guy and i watched it because it sounded interesting

xenophilius90

[9]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 5
    I'm a guy and I first watched Buffy because my sister watchit a lot. After two episodes I was so hooked... I love Buffy and Angel because i could easily relate to the story, the emotions and the characters in general. These two shows are not only T.V series, they are a huge part of my life!
    (and of course, Sarah is extremely hot =))

Igarka

[10]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 12

I so love Buffy, the plot line, the writung, the depth of the caracters and ofcourse the fabulous cast and crew.

And I love strong women. There I said it. Ive grown up around strong women and thus I cant stand anything less.

tvfan332

[11]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 37
    It's a well written, well acted, smart, funny show. Why wouldn't guys like it?

aplourey

[12]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 34
    tvfan332 wrote:
    It's a well written, well acted, smart, funny show. Why wouldn't guys like it?

Exactly. I'm a guy and it's my favourite show of all time.

PinderPower

[13]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 13
    im a guy...saw some clips on the BBC,and it sounded like an interesting show...saw Welcome to the Hellmouth on bbc2 and was hooked ever since.
    it is now my fave show of all time(with xena and the x-files).
    so i think its definately peeps with taste 4 these shows,who love action,fantastic storytelling,and have a healthy interest.
    Buffy is the perfect show.
    i love all the main cast in this show.
    so yeah...someone who loves the genre,loves action,loves dramas,...basically someone who loves excellent telly

Jon_MW_14

[14]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 39
    I am guy and the reason I kept watching Buffy is because of special effects. I like how when Buffy stakes a vampire that they turn to dust. I have more reasons but it's the same as everyone elses.

crashingdoors

[15]Aug 20, 2008

What kind of guy am I...

Well, if that is indeed the main question, here it goes: I'm quiet; I like to look at most things through a comedic lens, although I know when to be serious; I stay away from people who are intolerant/selfish/sexit/racist/etc; I appreciate our language as well as the people who know how to use it.

I like Buffy because it uses fantasy to address real-world problems. Being able to look at the real world through obviously unreal situations provides a different perspective on whatever the issue at hand may be. It sort of makes the problems seem more managable; "if the Scoobies can fight these demons and whatnot, why shouldn't I be able to _______ ?" (too many problems to get started!).

Besides, the show is gold on film. Some of the guest actors are maybe not the best, but the writing is impressive, the effects are amazing for the budget, and the comedy is better than what you'd find it most of today's blockbusters.

I think the question that ought to be asked is why doesn't EVERYONE watch this show? Every episode has traits that should appeal to any person - it's never discriminated against anyone, at least not in my opinion - and it doesn't treat the audience as idiots. It's got strong female characters (notice the pluralness!) that young women can look up to (and young men should look up to). As an added bonus, many strong male characters exist as well, showing that it's okay for men and women to coexist; that men don't have to be jerks to be cool or well-liked.

I wish, WISH that at least one of my friends liked Buffy. I told my old best friend (whom I hadn't seen in a while) that I'd been watching a lot of Buffy lately and she laughed at me. How ridiculous? Actually it was sort of a giggle, then a very dissappointed "no!", as if she was embarrassed that I watched the show. Most other people I know pass the show off as cheesy or outdated by now.

Hopefully I'll meet some people soon that like the show as much as I do, as most of the Buffy fans I know, I only know online.

thacrowbar

[16]Aug 20, 2008
    Well, I don't think Buffy is a show that just appeals to women. Nor do I think that Sarah Michele Gellar's body is the reason guys do watch it (particularly since you can find beautiful women all over television). Of course Buffy is a feminist show. But it's the good kind of feminism. The kind that is pro-female, without being anti-male. Why shouldn't an intelligent person be on board with that? But in the end, I don't watch Buffy because it's a feminist show. I watch it because its funny, well written and performed, sometimes poignant, there's action and plot twists, etc. Too many people have overlooked this show because of its goofy title. It's really too bad.

cindycee

[17]Aug 20, 2008
    wow, a lot of replies, good to see you guys are actually proud to say you watch it, gives me hope for the male species yet lol.

nice to see a lot of intelligent males around, the only place i seem to run into them in my world is at uni (i study visual arts).

seems the concensus is that its because of the intelligent writing, its nice that its not dumbed down like a lot of television seems to be, just so the average joe will get it.

not everyone gets dry humour and sarcasm, and i love it, whenever you see an interview with joss, hes always like that, a lot of people might think he is being serious some times.

its great to see that a man has written this show too, that instead of wanting women to be a second class citizen, theres actually someone who wants to hold them up and say, 'wow look at her, shes amazing'

but i can imagine you all huddled around the tv, like spike watching passions lol, its a great show, buffy, not passions

crashingdoors

[18]Aug 20, 2008

thacrowbar wrote:
    Too many people have overlooked this show because of its goofy title. It's really too bad.

I agree, although I never considered the title to be "goofy". Even though I ignored the show while it was actually on TV - after all, I was maybe 9 or 10 when it first came on, on top of not being a big TV watcher - the name of the show was the most intriguing part to me. The Simpsons was just about the only show I followed (I'd watched it with my dad since I was 3!!!). Anyways, I always liked the title even though I hadn't yet seen the show.

While I'm on the subject... I can remember seeing segments of episodes - on FX, I believe - with Oz being chained up, and I think another with Willow on the computer (I'm thinking it was from "I Robot, You Jane").

saintzrulz

[19]Aug 21, 2008
    Crashingdoors really nailed it. its a good feminist show that doesn't downplay the role of males. and it is has great writing, directing and acting in it. I think that guys that watch it are the one's who are able to grasp the concepts of feminism and enjoy its role in this fantasy world. As i am a film analyst i can say Joss has pu great meanings into every episode and the more you look at them the more you find, which makes it great television, even for those that just watch it for SMG and the other women the subliminal message is still percieved by the viewer.

PiperPrueLover4

[20]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 18

I'm a guy and I love Buffy for a few reasons:

1) I love anything involving supernatural theme

2) Action and combat always look so much cooler when it's girls doing it, because they have a certain grace and style about it and make it look cooler - whereas when guys do it they always look like violent spazzes who are trying to look tough. I find that Angel is the one exception to that rule.

3) The villains, on the whole, are completely awesome - look at Drusilla, Faith and Willow, for example.

4) Anything that Joss Whedon writes or directs turns into automatic gold.

Edited on 08/21/2008 2:13am