Buffy the Vampire Slayer Forums

The WB (ended 2003)

Worst buffy season

buffyTVSrox

[121]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 33
    deadmanjeff wrote:
    Ok first of all sorry if i already posted but i don't have the time right now to go through 12 pages of stuff I think s4 is the worst season of Buffy because first of all the Big Bad is less than a half of the season second of all there is no real base of operations in this season(s1-3:school library,s5-6:the magic box,s7-buffys house)in this season they just move their base from giles' to xander's to ??s

Personally, I wouldn't count those as reasons to rate the season lower, though I did miss the "Fortress of Solitude" feeling of the library in season four.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

o0oTanishao0o

[122]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 16
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 07/10/2006 5:19pm

o0oTanishao0o

[123]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 16
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    sunkistjunkie wrote:
    I think the last episode of season four was boring too. It had no point at all! I have a theory Joss only added it in for filler. ^_^

It's quite disappointing that the new generation of Buffy fans need to be spoon fed.

Buffy was written in the perspective that the fans were keen to seeking knowledge and actual thought provoking skills regarding an episode...

Yet, I read some of the bad comments and honestly think how the person must have not "gotten" the meaning of each episode and season of Buffy.

Each episode has a meaning. Each episode, though some may seem low, has a character development in each character. Each season has a metaphor and message that can mean something to a fan...you just have to dive deep into the episodes and seek them out.

Think, as well as watch, what the writers are trying to explain through the characters. The Buffy writers didn't intend to spoon feed Buffy fans.

If you want to be spoon fed action and stories of complete nonsense, then watch "Charmed", because that seems to fit the tastes of those who just quite frankly don't "get" the meaning behind "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

That's not completely true. I've have always loved Buffy and can understand it completely, but I also watch Charmed too. Quite frankly I do not really care for "Restless" either, but I understand everything going on in the episode. I just do not find it as entertaining as the rest, but I think it was really well put together.

watcher1006

[124]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 10
    deadmanjeff wrote:
    Ok first of all sorry if i already posted but i don't have the time right now to go through 12 pages of stuff I think s4 is the worst season of Buffy because first of all the Big Bad is less than a half of the season second of all there is no real base of operations in this season(s1-3:school library,s5-6:the magic box,s7-buffys house)in this season they just move their base from giles' to xander's to ??s

Agreed, there was a bit of a "homeless" feeling to the gang, no one meeting place but rather a few different ones. It was only when they got the Magic Box in the next season that they had one central location again. I don't know how much it took away from the season though. "Something Blue" is, imo, one of the best episodes of the season, its action takes place all over the place - Giles' apartment, Xander's basement, Stevenson Hall, and then the cemetary.

Isab3lla

[125]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 4

Firts i thought that sesaon 3 was worst but i think i've change now. I really don't like season 5. I never cried or thought it was sad when i saw "the body", i don't know why. The last episode is the only good episode of the all (except from "fool for love" and "intervention"). And Dawn is annoying >.< but she's better i season 7

spikeysluv

[126]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 27

I dont like the third season it just didnt have much developement except it was buffys senior year and the mayor was funny and Lovers Walk was actually good

and the sixth season annoyed me because Buffy and Spike dont belong together at all!!! And it was a gross relationship! Buffy and Riley were better than that and thats saying something because Riley was a jealous a**hole! (although I loved Once More With Feeling!)

*i wont be surprised if this message is censored...even though its not that bad*

buffyTVSrox

[127]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 33
    Isab3lla wrote:
    I never cried or thought it was sad when i saw "the body"

You must be a vampire, because I thought to not be saddened by The Body you must have no soul

spikeysluv wrote:
    Buffy and Spike dont belong together at all!!! And it was a gross relationship!

*sigh* What happened to the days when there were more Spuffy fans than Bangel fans on this forum?

archangelcory16

[128]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 32
    Season Four. OMG Adam and The Initiative and Riley was awful. I completely hated the season arc. But there were great standalone episodes.

Season 1 - I loved season one! It was so fun, introduced the show, etc. And I really loved The Master.

Season 2 - Worst after season four. It's entertaining but I just got sick of the Buffy/Angel angst.

Season 3 - Probably my favorite. Eliza Dushku...mmm-mmm.

Season 5 - Haven't seen enough to judge it as a whole.

Season 6 - Have only seen half, but I liked what I saw except for Slut Buffy.

Season 7 - Have seen only less than half, but I liked it.

meleeunbeatable

[129]Jul 14, 2006
    • level: 46
    I liked them all.

-Gael-

[130]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 2

Does anyone else agree with me and think season 7 was the worst buffy season.

I really didn't FEEL it. Although it's got some of my fav episodes (selfless, chosen) there didn't seem to be that 'Buffy Unity' of the previous seasons, especially with the introduction to the potentials. It also has my favourite line out of the whole of Buffy - When D'hoffryn visits Willow and says...

- The flaying of Warren Meers? Oh, truly inspired. That was water cooler vengeance. Lloyd has a sketch of it on his wall.

I also disagree with those that say season 6 is the worst. I can see why - it is definetely the most grim. Every charcter goes through so much turmoil.  - Buffy pulled from hell - Willow going all evil - The whole Tara thing - Xander and Anya's wedding and afterwards - Dawn's cleptomania - Giles departure - Spike's anger/ frustration - the spike, buffy rape incident. Grim grim grim. BUT - it highlights the darker time's of Buffy and i FEEL it. Come on... Once more with feeling, Normal again, Tabula Rasa, Seeing Red, and the Evil Willow... 

mitchfel

[131]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    Although I love every single second of buffy i would have to say season four (not because of the scoobies lack of a HQ or whateva that was about....totally irrelevant) because it had the worst main story arc. Some of the standalone episodes are up in my top ten (restless, hush, pangs) but it lacked the core storyline that not only carries a singular and important theme and message throughout the season but also has interesting baddies and twists. Adam was a simple even boring character with no development and holds nothing to the intricate characters of spike or glory as big bads. Favourite season is season 3.....easily

owenedwards

[132]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 5
    Season 6 may have been "grim" and "profound", but if I wanted laughable (and not in a goodway) junior Big Bads, I'd go watch Beyblade. Only with Villains onwards do we see the explosion into brilliance...for me anyway.

BTVSForever

[133]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 11
    owenedwards wrote:

Season Seven – Now this was just weird. Apart from the foray into “Angel” at “Orpheus”, Willow’s character is castrated in a fairly distressing way, and it doesn’t even make for compelling drama. Caleb is an awful Big Bad for me, and until Faith turns up again, we have some major schizofrenia as to what we’re meant to be watching. It improves, but feels like Five – bits and pieces – and Six – not much cop till the end, stuck together.

So, discounting Season One, which’d make a nice scapegoat here but is almost irrelevant to the discussion…2-6 all have episodes that resonate beauty, whereas Season 7 has…uh… “The Killer In Me” and “Lessons”. Yeah right son. Season 7 gets the thumbs down.

Hello what about Selfless, Help, and conversations with dead people all brilliant eppisodes.

owenedwards wrote:
    Season 6 may have been "grim" and "profound", but if I wanted laughable (and not in a goodway) junior Big Bads, I'd go watch Beyblade. Only with Villains onwards do we see the explosion into brilliance...for me anyway.
    Harsh Much? Jonathin Warren and Andrew are not big bads in season six life is the big bad. And what about Once more with feeling, Tabula Rasa and Life Serial.

I think season 4 is the worst because joss had less involvement cause he had to focus on starting Angel well.

spikemaniac

[134]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 50
    I don't believe Buffy has "worse" Seasons, I just believe they have "better" ones.
    I'd say Seasons 1 and 4 are the weakest Seasons, just because they don't have as many standout episodes as the other ones.

owenedwards

[135]Jul 16, 2006
    Once More and Tabula Rasa are excellent, yes. I don't think that defeats the point I made. Selfless and Conversations in S7 are good too. Again, doesn't defeat my point.

For S6, the whole "life" big bad doesn't wash with me. It's too ephemeral and distant. S3 had growing up as a "big bad", but it backed that up with the brilliantly sinister Mayor. S2 had heartbreak as a big bad, but it personified it in Angelus. S6 had "oh isn't life tough" but it only gave that a proper voice with Tara's death and Willow's fury.

-Gael-

[136]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 2
    I agree Tara's death was the most hard-hitting - but don't think you can dismiss Buffy's behaviour in itself either - eg - in her relationship with Spike. I think that highlights the 'toughness' of life.

Bango_Berryrush

[137]Jul 16, 2006
    • level: 9
    owenedwards wrote:
    For S6, the whole "life" big bad doesn't wash with me. It's too ephemeral and distant. S3 had growing up as a "big bad", but it backed that up with the brilliantly sinister Mayor. S2 had heartbreak as a big bad, but it personified it in Angelus. S6 had "oh isn't life tough" but it only gave that a proper voice with Tara's death and Willow's fury.

One thing interesting about S6's metaphor of life being the bid bad...it placed Buffy into a position that a lot of us have been into.

She didn't have a secure place. She was in Heaven, feeling comfort and peace--then she was ripped back into this world by her friends, and it forced her to be a regular joe, as well as the Slayer.

Prior to that, she had had her mother to take care of her and Dawn--but then Joyce died. Buffy had to be the one to pay the bills and work.

The biggest demon Buffy had to fight that season was not Spike or Willow, or the Trio nerds. The big bad Buffy had to fight was herself. Buffy was her own big bad that season.

She could not handle being resurrected. It caused her to go into a depression-like state. She began to feel numb. She excluded herself from her friends and sister. She slept with Spike because she wanted to feel something--hate, lust, and anything else that would make her hate herself because she hated herself. That's why she wanted Tara to not forgive her for sleeping with Spike. Buffy wanted to feel punished. That's why she entangled herself in an abusive-type relationship with Spike.

inzombia

[138]Jul 18, 2006

Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    The biggest demon Buffy had to fight that season was not Spike or Willow, or the Trio nerds. The big bad Buffy had to fight was herself. Buffy was her own big bad that season.

She could not handle being resurrected. It caused her to go into a depression-like state. She began to feel numb. She excluded herself from her friends and sister. She slept with Spike because she wanted to feel something--hate, lust, and anything else that would make her hate herself because she hated herself. That's why she wanted Tara to not forgive her for sleeping with Spike. Buffy wanted to feel punished. That's why she entangled herself in an abusive-type relationship with Spike.
    I think the problem a lot of people have with season six is that, well, watching Buffy be depressed for a whole season just isn't that interesting or compelling. It's just her being mopey. The idea of it is interesting; it just doesn't make for good television.

oldreliable

[139]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 21
    That might be true, but apart from that I still feel it's not quite as good as the rest, because there isn't really a decent villain, or too many villains and I also missed Giles, but off course thatdoens't mean there aren't great episodes in it, I loved Tabula Rasa and the musical was also something special

Adamortos

[140]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 3

In my opinion, the worst season(s) were either season 1, or season 3.

Season 1 had too many boring episodes where nothing happened, and only started to get worth watching near the end with great episodes such as "Nightmares" and "Prophecy Girl"

Season 3 had some amazing episodes, but i felt the finale was a big let down. The whole scene with the school pulling out heavy firearms was so cheesy. But once again had a few remarkable episodes, my fav was "Doppelgangland" Bad-Ass willow