Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Jan 08, 2002 on The WB

• "Gone" is an episode that tries to juggle comedy and character growth in the middle of a season who's tone is decidedly not funny.

I don't have a huge problem with the writers attempting to inject a little fun in here, but this episode is often not actually very funny. With that said, there's still some value to be salvaged from it. This value includes some solid character development, a few entertaining scenes, some nice realizations, and a few hints of what's to come.

At the beginning of the episode, Buffy's going off about not giving into temptation right as she stumbles upon Spike's lighter. Although a little convenient in timing, the reminder here of how dependent Buffy is of Spike now is still appropiate. Even though Buffy appears to have thrown the lighter into the "magic clearance" box, we find out very soon that the lighter ends up in her pocket, a clear symbol that Buffy is still failing at overcoming her temptation and overall rut.

Very soon after this, Spike hilariously comes running into the house with a blanket over his head while proceeding to lightly push himself onto Buffy, and she continues to let him. At this point comments like Xander's "Only a complete loser would ever hook up with you [Spike]. Well, unless she's a simpleton like Harmony, or a, or a nut sack like Drusilla-" only unknowingly make Buffy crawl further away from being open with her friends, which thereby draws her even closer to Spike. This is some solid character development for Buffy that really sets up the brilliant psychological look at their relationship in "Dead Things".

When the social services lady arrives, the picture of Buffy's life that's viewable from the outside world is not exactly a thrilling one. Doris is not particularly portrayed as a good guy here, but what's interesting is that, in reality, she really isn't that bad. Although we know and love Buffy and her friends and can sympathize with them when they're having a really hard time, imagine things from more of an outsider perspective. If I were Dorris, I'm not sure I would come to much of a different first impression than she had. Think about it: no full-on adults around, Buffy has no job, there's some other girl living in the house that's "not feeling well," there's a shady British guy in a big black leather coat hanging around, and there's some magic weed lying around in the open. That doesn't add up to a meal fit for healthy a teenage girl to me either. Although we know the situation more intimately and know Buffy just needs some time to pull her life together before having Dawn taken away from her, I can certainly also sympathize with the job of a social service worker to look out for teens in bad situations.

With her life continuing to push inward on her, Buffy tries to change herself in the hopes that maybe it'll help snap her out of her post-resurrection funk. At first she thinks cutting her hair will make a difference. It turns out that, no surprise, that's just a physical change and doesn't really help matters. Then Buffy gets accidentally shot by the Trio's invisibility ray, which eventually leads to the sequence where Inviso-Buffy has fun with Doris. This oddly works for me, is pretty funny, and fits with Buffy feeling like she can do whatever she wants without feeling guilty over it. This will soon spill over into having fun sex with Spike... and not beating herself up over it for a change. However, this leads to something interesting that happens.

This scene, in Spike's crypt, really gets at the point of the episode which, as I pointed out, is pretty decent in of itself. Buffy says "What's the matter? Ashamed to be seen with me? Come on. He had no idea I was here. This is Spike aptly replies, "Perfect for you ... This vanishing act's right liberating for you, innit? Go anywhere you want. Do anything you want. Or anyone ... The only reason you're here, is that you're not He goes on to point out that she's not too put off by the fact she's invisible, to which she replies with, "No! Maybe because for the first time since ... I'm free. Free of rules and reports ... free of this Summing up my response to that comment, Spike says, "Free of life? Got another name for that.

Essentially being this liberated from herself and her responsibilities is like another form of suicide. She's acting out a life that's not real so she doesn't have to face the other, more painful, one. This desire is something she doesn't actually deal with until "Normal Again", which takes the idea brought up in this episode and runs with it to astounding emotional heights. This shows more solid thought put into Buffy's character arc than the season hardly ever gets credit for. Also, kudos to Spike for recognizing that having sexual fun with an invisible Buffy isn't much different than playing with the empty BuffyBot which, by the way, is not the same as recognizing that Buffy's completely using him as a glorified sex toy. That he won't fully understand until S7.

The ending Buffy/Willow conversation is good as well. Buffy admits that she -- in the middle of her "no see me" fest -- actually got scared at the thought of dying. I'd call that a good step in the right direction. It's just a shame there wasn't an overall better episode to support this realization.

While Buffy's development in this episode is pretty intriguing, I can't say the same for Willow's. This episode furthers the idea that Willow's big problem is a drug addiction. The opening scene re-inforces this. I continue to feel this is the wrong direction for the character. When Xander suspects Willow might be accidentally responsible for making Buffy invisible, he says "who'd be messing with that kind of That's the direction they should be going in here, but instead we cut to Willow sucking down water bottles and physically struggling to control herself from using casual magic.

As I mentioned in my "Wrecked" review, this aspect -- so heavily represented in that episode -- is rather unfortunately carried over into subsequent episodes. So here it is in This makes the vast majority of the episode's development for Willow fairly uninteresting to watch, although thankfully it's not a large focus of this episode. With all that said, I really do enjoy that Xander immediately thought of Willow when something magically wacky happened to Buffy -- that's simply great continuity.

The Trio finally gets some decent yet subtle development as well. I really appreciate, in retrospect, the Trio more than I ever did before when first seeing S6. The fact that they're the only external threat to the Scoobies at this point is understandably baffling when first seeing the season, but in reality they're really not the real villains, although Warren's descent into true villainry is made all the more powerful and shocking by the contrasting setup. For example, Andrew brings up the point that the Slayer could be watching them as they speak. The way they all buy into Andrew's further ridiculousness for a second is actually pretty funny. This bit of innocent humor actually works here, where it clearly won't after Warren's actions in "Dead Things".

When first watching the season, I was pretty tired of the Trio's goofy antics at this point. But knowing where they're headed makes these earlier, goofier moments feel a lot more necessary. Without this kind of innocent humor, what's to come wouldn't be nearly as shocking and interesting. "Dead Things" then demonstrates how much of a real effect they can have on Buffy in her emotionally unstable state and "Normal Again" uses the Trio to highlight the fact that Buffy's life is truly screwed up right now. All in all, solid setup and nice follow-through for the Trio. In addition to the humor here, we begin to see how Warren is morally separating himself from the rest of the group when he makes it clear that he doesn't care if Buffy dies and then, later, even tries to facilitate her death.

Unfortunately, "Gone" really starts to go awry when the Trio's silly plan intersects with Buffy's troubles. The writers try to somehow get a light, funny episode while simultaneously tackling Buffy's problems... and it just doesn't mix together in a satisfying way. Frankly, the episode's just too silly for it's own good. I kind of like the concept in theory: Buffy becomes invisible and completely lets out her inhibitions with the thinking that it doesn't matter if no one can see her. The problem is that I don't think Buffy would be quite as non-chalant and almost uncharacteristically goofy and chipper about it -- at the very least, not to this extent.

I think using the same basic outline while taking a more serious approach with more subtle humor, and removing the Trio out of the main plot entirely, would have worked a whole lot better. I still like a couple of the ideas brought up and it's genuinely funny on occasion, but the overall taste when these aspects mix together is pretty lacking. A good example is how the skirmish between all the invisible people at the end of the episode is supposed to be funny, but it really isn't; mostly, I'm just kind of bored. Fortunately it doesn't last too long and the Trio's failed exit is pretty amusing.

Overall, there's both several things to like and dislike about I think the basic outline of the plot is a fresh take on what could have been a hollow episode, but the execution of it is a bit lacking. When the Trio's plans intersect with Buffy's problems, it really loses its balance. Also, Willow's poor development from "Wrecked" shows up again here rather than being justifiably forgotten about. Faults and all, though, most of Buffy's development is quite good and interesting to watch along with some of the humor and ancillary stuff going on in the background. In the end, this is one of those episodes that is classified as troubled but with some good redeeming character value. That alone is enough to keep me interested in the material.
  • Now you see her

GONE

The Good;

Love all the Invisible Buffy stuff it's just great. Also like Nancy Drew Willow and Buffy's new hair. Love Joanthon standing up to Warren too.

The Bad;

You rather think that Buffy's Slayer healing would take care of whatever the Geeks have done to her, it never seems that much of a threat "She's pudding"?

Best line;

Buffy (as the social worker looks at the bag of grass) "It's not what you think, it's magic weed"

Women good/men bad;

The Geeks again being their sleazy selves. Amazingly it's Spike who kicks Buffy out because she's using him. The girls seem mightily fascinated with Buffy's new hairstyle.

Jeez!;

Naked Spike under the sheets

Kinky dinky;

The Geeks plan to turn themselves invisible and sneak into a beauty parlour to watch women get bikini waxes (which hardly seems very erotic to me). Buffy and Spike at it again, especially love the 'Hey that's cheating gag!'. Dawn loves her mother's African fetility statue Kokopelli (jeepers!) and is sorry to throw him out. Buffy appears to have an errogenous zone in her left jean pocket to judge from her reaction when Spike retrieves his lighter. Xander appears to accidentally grab invisible Buffy's breasts in the Magic Shop. She is pretty damn aggressive when she goes to his crypt, almost Angel/Darla style.

Captain Subtext;

Jonathon refers to Warren as 'You penis'. Xander thinks Spike should get a girlfriend. The social worker observes that Buffy lives with another woman but Buffy denies it's a 'gay' thing. Andrew remarks on the Geeks' plans 'Naked women and... all the naked women'.

Apocalypses; 6

Joyce: 1

Wes: 1

Xander; 1

Dawn; 3

Scoobies knocked out: Willow knocked out by Warren at the arcade.

Buffy: 17

Wes: 1

Anya;3

Dawn; 2

Kills:

Buffy: 103 vamps, 41 demons, 6 monsters, 3 humans, 1 werewolf, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demon, 1 human, 1 god.

Cordy: 3 vamps, a demon

Will: 6 vamps + 2 demons +1 fawn.

Angel: 3 vamps, 1 demon, 1 human

Tara; 1

Dawn;1

Spike; 1

Recurring characters killed: 10

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce

Sunnydale deaths;

Total number of scoobies:

Xander, Willow, Buffy, Anya, Spike,

Xander demon magnet: 5(6?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Cordy: 1?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 1 possible, Dracula(?)

Angel: 1;Buffy

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Faith:2 ;Xander, Riley

Xander: 2; Faith, Anya

Willow: 2;Oz and Tara

Riley; 3; Buffy, Sandy and unnamed vampwhore

Spike; 1 Buffy

Spike; good or bad?

Spike does try to support Buffy's interview with the social services but really comes across as the worst boyfriend ever.

Spike goes to help Dawn and Willow.

Dawn in peril; 8

Dawn the bashful virgin; 6

What the fanficcers thought;

Invisible Xander is a common theme

Questions and observations;

Why is Buffy so broke when she has this great big diamond in her possession? Surely she can return it for the reward? What happens to the Invisible Ray? I know in fanfic it's often stashed in the Summers' house cellar in order to save the day in a future episode. Xander and Buffy recall Invisible Marcie from season 1 (whatever happened to her?) Love Buffy's puma t-shirt, her spirit guide? Whilst we often observe that Warren is prepared to sacrifice the other Geeks here he suddenly turns around to find that they've deserted him and taken the Invisible Ray with them. A lot of people find fault with inivisible Buffy's hijinks but she's had such a hard time lately I think she deserves some carefree fun.

Buffy taking on the invisible geeks must make her thankful for Giles' blindfolded training.

Marks out of 10; 7/10, no masterpiece but enjoyable enough

• Much Ado About Nothing Good

Gone-Buffy and Dawn clear the house of magick items and supplies to help Willow, and Buffy has a surprise visit from a social worker checking on Dawn's home life. The meeting doesn't go well and in a fit of rage afterwards, Buffy cuts off her hair. Meanwhile, the Geek Trio have built an invisibility ray and accidentally hit Buffy with it.

"Gone" is one of those rare Buffy episodes like "Wrecked" that fails in what it's trying to say. What's starts out as another episode where Buffy is dealing with real issues turns into something that plays for laughs but than just gets silly. The Trio is at it again and once again, their latestplanis little more than a gimmick! Buffy's OOC behavior when she becomes invisible doesn't help either. Sure, it's cool that we get a Marcy reference, but the story just feels over the top for the most part. I understand that Buffy becoming invisible is a temporary escape for her, from all the problems that have been plaguing her since her revival. But what should be some seriously development for her, is treated with such light fluff and her going around playing pranks on people is just beyond childlish, even if that social worker was kind of a b!tch. I also find it a bit jarring how last episode Buffy was begging Spike to get out her life, yet this episode she's all too eager to jump his bones! That sexually charged confrontation at Spike'scryptwas just wrong on so many levels! Though, Xander walking in on Spike having sex with...himself was priceless. But I got to admit the sexual jokes were pretty extreme! Wow, this really isn't the Buffy we once knew as Spike kicks Buffy out, he looks down and tells her "that's cheating".....wow, that wasn't subtle at all!

I did enjoy Willow's struggle to not do make, it's really the little moments that continue to make this arc of hers succeed. It isn't easy but Willow pulls through, which honestly shows how strong she's trying to be. Alyson really excels here! I did love Dawn's reaction to Buffy's lack of concern over her situation as well as when she hears the message of her possible death. But I also can't stand that this is the third episode in a row that features little to no involvement with Xander and Anya continuing to reach nothing! You know there has to be problems in the writing when characters are reduce to almost nothing for a couple of episodes back-to-back. Anyway, the conclusion of the episode isdefinitelythe only real highlight. The whole invisible fight was so ridiculous, it kinda worked. At least Buffy finally knows whose been behind her recent annoying attempts at threatening her life. Gotta love Jonathan failing to mask his voice, Warren's "archnemesis..ses" and Buffy and Willow completely lost as to who Andrew is. The episode ends with some nice reflection, but it's a bit late. It's nice to know Buffy "wants" to live a life now but it's a shame the rest of the episode couldn't be that insightful. "Gone" is pretty bad stuff, with OOC characterization and lagging plot.

• "I'm free, free of rules and reports: free of life" - Buffy

So Buffy is getting rid of all of Willow's magic/drugs paraphernalia whilst, yet again, relating Willow's problems to her own. "Any reminder could make her give into temptation," she says as she tosses Spike's lighter into the bin. Buffy blames herself for Willow's demise, she was too wrapped up in her own problems, but nobody notices Buffy's affair with Spike, even when he's, um, pleasuring her in the kitchen or in his crypt. Xander reminds us why Buffy can't tell her friends about the dalliance, saying that only a "nutsack" or a "loser" would sleep with Spike. Even the social worker notices the relationship between Buffy and her vampire lover, but Spike is the epitome of the bad boyfriend, unemployed and leather clad, yet he attempts to stick up for Buffy with Doris even if he does get it wrong. His need for his blanket when leaving the house shows his connection to Buffy – neither can fit into this normal world of guardianship and social services and bureaucracy. She takes out her frustration about this on him, showing once again that she is merely using him, disrespecting his feelings, but when he's gone she turns her anger onto herself, her hair cutting is like self harm and, when she goes to the hairdresser, she pleads: "Make me different."

Meanwhile, we finally find out what the diamond as big as the Ritz was for: "We've got an invisibility ray and that makes us pretty much unstoppable". The trio's evil plan is to go into a women's spa, without paying! When their squabbles ruin the scheme, they worry about Buffy finding them, spying on them: "An invisible slayer means a whole world of trouble" – forgetting that she does not yet know that the boys are her "arch nemesises", and she is more interested in Bruce Almighty antics, including terrorising Doris the Social Worker. This time, invisibility isn't a metaphor for being ignored, it's analogous to being a teenager again. Buffy, as an adult, is expected to live in an adult's world, reporting to authority and providing parenting to her little sis. Instead, she's stealing traffic carts and partaking in afternoon delight with her secret sex-buddy. Dawn and Spike want Buffy to be a grown up, she wants to be a kid, hidden to the world of adults. Spike, as ever, sees the crux of her delight in her invisibility: "This vanishing act's right liberating for you. Go anywhere you want. Do anything you want. Or anyone". Buffy thinks being imperceptible is "perfect", she can have her cake and eat it: have sex with Spike with nobody knowing or judging her. Spike understands all of this: "The only reason you're here is because you're not here."

Xander is concerned about Willow, thinking that she was the one who caused Buffy's invisibility, but her magic inclinations are toward speed, rather than entertainment. She, who doesn't want to be the old Willow, is the go-get girl in this ep, using her ingenuity to find the troika lair, her science acumen to figure out the ray-gun, and good old fashioned detective skills in locating the spot where Buffy disappeared; all the while the Slayer is harassing strangers and tweaking Spike's ear. It's only when the gang discover that Buffy could turn into "pudding" – that she can't be a teenager forever, that she becomes worried about her state. We saw in S2 that when Buffy's unsolicited chosen calling was threatened by Kendra, it motivated Buffy into accepting her role, and here we see the life she doesn't want become precious to her when it's almost taken away from her. Fortunately, the boys have carried out the traditional, indeed, classic Willow-kidnapping (they are crime lords after all), for their next evil plan: re-visibling Buffy. We're starting to see the gap between Jonathan and Andrew, who, like Buffy, just want to have some fun, and Warren, who takes it so much more seriously and sees no harm in killing Buffy. "We're villains! When are you gonna get that through your thick skulls!?" At the arcade, Warren re-sets the ray gun to increase the invisibility/molecular deterioration, whilst Jonathan and Andrew are distracted by the computer games. After the very silly invisible fight, the boys can't even get out the door to escape. Yet Buffy, their arch-adversary, is as lost and confused as they are. She understands that she can't take a vacation from her life. Again, relating to Willow, she realises that she has to do things the hard way. They both sit, knowing that they're merely dealing with life, rather than enjoying it. With adorable hair.
  • Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike Thankyou Lord for nude scenes!

Spike's abs! Spike's side of his a$$! ha he hi ho hu! that's me going crazy! I spent two weeks trying to clean my drool from the carpet, spike is gorgeous! This is a hilarious episode with The Trio in it. They have designed a weapon to turn themselves invisible to go watch chicks getting a bikini wax (!) and while are fighting over the Invisible ray gun, Buffy accidently gets shot with it, becoming invisible. What she gets up to is just hilarious! The greatest part has got to be when she goes to Spike's. God, he looks hot when he thinks Buffy is a ghost a turns his head around...! Of course they have a little fun, the only way they know how! Oh, and Buffy gets a haircut! Gr8 ep, if u havent seen it, go and watch it right now!
  • It starts really good but goes downhill. the scenes with Spike were gross! and this episode was just a big dissapointment and weakest of the season.

7.2
    Gone

This episode has some beautiful moments. I loved the episode up until Buffy goes invincible. I loved the Buffy making the woman crazy scene and the end scene where Buffy realised that she doesn't want to die. but everything else really bored me and was pretty lame. specially the geeks were for the first time really lame and I hated Warren.

cut to the house and they are gonna take all the magic stuff and Dawn is upset. Buffy says that everything that reminds Willow of magic has to go and she sees something of Spike and does it away too. cut to the trio's and they have a new machine that can make stuff invincible and then back.

the credits start

cut to Buffy in the kitchen and Dawn is mad at her and Spike comes and he tries to seduce her but then Xander comes. Buffy tells Spike to go and Xander brings Dawn to school and a woman from school comes to interview Buffy and Spike isn't gone yet and makes Buffy look bad and takes his blanket. then the things keep on going and the woman needs to go and she saw enough and goes away and Spike is still there and makes her mad and he grabs his light and leaves and Buffy goes crying in her room and looks at herself in the mirror and cuts off her hair cause Spike liked it.

cut to the geeks and they see Buffy walking outside and they want to make each other invincible but make Buffy invincible and some things close to her. cut to Buffy coming in the magic shop and Xander and Anya see she's invincible but don't get why anyone made her cause she's more strong now. she's playing around and says that it fits her day and then goes away again. Xander and Anya then suspect Willow. Xander goes to her and he thinks she did it but she says she didn't and is mad at him now and then leaves the room and leaves Xander alone.

cut to Buffy making some jokes and then she goes to the woman and makes her crazy with her mud and tells her to kill and her co-workers think she's crazy. cut to Xander finding Willow and she's at the place where Buffy disappeared. a van crushes to something invincible and they have clues now and are gonna investigate everything. cut to Spike crip and Buffy goes there and starts to kiss him and do him. cut to Xander and Anya finally realise that what makes them invincible makes them pudding after a while. cut to the geeks and they want to help Buffy except for Warren. he becomes more dark every time and he wants Buffy to die.

cut to Spike in bed and Xander sees him and he asks for Buffy but he says he hasn't seen her. Xander says Spike needs a girlfriend. cut to Spike getting upset with Buffy but she's finally happy cause now she can do whatever she wants and she chats and sucks Spike. cut to Buffy coming home and makes fun but Dawn is freaked out and goes away and then Buffy hears the message about her fading away and she isn't really impressed. cut to Willow going to the van's house and she sees all those stuff and the Gunn and then the geeks make her their hostage.

cut to Buffy coming home and they call her and make her come over to save Willow. she finds her and Warren tries to kill her but Willow discovers and they fight and Willow then reveals them. Jonathan, Warren and Andrew. they say they're Buffy's arch namelessness and they are so dumb but escape anyway. when Willow and Buffy go out Buffy tells Willow that when she heard what was gonna happen she actually got scared and that was new for her. she doesn't wanna die. Willow say that they made their first steps. yay.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Jonathan: You penis!
    Warren: Oh, cheer up, Frodo. Because thanks to my brains, and our mystical gem, we got ourselves an invisibility ray. And I'd say that makes us pretty much unstoppable.

Doris: Oh, good morning. You must be Dawn.
    Buffy: Can I help you?
    Doris: I'm Doris Kroger, from Social Services. We had an appointment?
    Buffy: Oh, for Wednesday.
    Doris: This is Wednesday.
    Buffy: Right! Well ... Dawn, you better... And, and Xander, you'll drive safely?
    Xander: Yes ma'am.
    Doris: Little bit on the tardy side, isn't she?
    Buffy: Yeah, well, uh, it's been one of those mornings, you know. Hey, come on in. Sorry about the mess, you know, doing a little house-cleaning.
    Spike: So, we gonna chat this out, or what?
    Buffy: Uh ... now's really not a-a good time. Um, I have company.
    Spike: No worries. I'll wait.
    Doris: Um, Miss Summers, if you and your boyfriend would like to-
    Buffy: He is NOT- Not my, my boyfriend, he's, um, just ... a... Spike ... this nice woman is, uh, from Social Services?
    Spike: Oh, right! Uh ... hey! Buffy's a great mom. She takes good care of her little sis. Like, um, when Dawn was hanging out too much in my crypt, Buffy put a right stop to it.
    Doris: I'm sorry, did you say-
    Buffy: Crib! He said crib. You know kids today and their buggin' street slang. Uh, Spike, didn't you have to go now, you know, because of that thing?
    Spike: Uh, thing, yeah. Uh, my blanket.
    Doris: He sleeps here?
    Buffy: What? No! No. Oh, uh, the, the, the blanket. That's, um, uh, it's a security thing, you know. He ... has issues. Nope, just me and Dawn living here.
    Willow: Buffy, I'm not feeling hot, so uh, I'm gonna take a quick nap, okay?
    Buffy: Okay, Will! That's Willow. She, uh, she kind of lives here too, actually.
    Doris: Oh, so you live with another woman.
    Buffy: Oh! Oh, it's not a, a gay thing, you know, I mean, well... she's gay, but, but we don't ... gay. Not that there's anything - Oh! Wrong with... You know, I know what that looks like, but I, I swear, it's not ... what it looks like. It's magic weed. It's not mine.
    Doris: I think I've seen enough.
    Buffy: No, a-actually, I really don't think that you have. It's just ... i-it's been kind of, kind of a, a bad time.
    Doris: It's been a bad time now for a while, hasn't it, Ms. Summers? Your sister's grades have fallen sharply in the last year, due in large part to her frequent absences and lateness.
    Buffy: But there-there are good reasons.
    Doris: Oh, I'm sure there are. But my interest is in Dawn's welfare. And the stability of her home life, something I'm just not convinced that an unemployed young woman like yourself can provide.
    Buffy: I can. I, I do!
    Doris: Well, we'll just have to see about that then, won't we? Oh, and I'm, uh, going to recommend immediate probation in my report.
    Buffy: What does that mean?
    Doris: It means that I'll be monitoring you very closely, Ms. Summers. And if I don't see that things are improving, well, I'll be forced to recommend that you be stripped of your sister's guardianship.
    Buffy: You can't do that.
    Doris: I do what is in Dawn's best interest ... as should you. Have a nice day.

Xander: Willow, we need to talk.
    Willow: We ... are talking. Well, I'm talking and you're looking at me funny.

Jonathan: Hey, we got a lot bigger problems here, bonehead. The Slayer's invisible now?
    Andrew: He's right. She could be anywhere. Even here, right now. Watching. Listening to every word we say. For all we know, she could be one of us!

Buffy: I am the ghost of fashion victims past. Studded caps? Not a good idea.

Doris: What - Where's my... Losing my mind. Okay, who's the-
    Buffy: Kill, kill, kill!
    Doris: What?
    Co. Worker: I didn't say anything.
    Doris: Not you! The mug, it's- But I ... I heard something.
    Buffy: Kill, Doris. Kill everybody. You know you want to.
    Doris: Shut up, shut up, just shut up!
    Buffy: Okay ... no ... no... Yahtzee!
    Boss: Uh, Doris! I've, uh, got a few, so if you wanna discuss that case file now...
    Doris: What? Oh! Oh yes, the, um, Summers file, it's, uh, it's right over here. Uh, it's a fifteen-year-old girl, living under her older sister's guardianship. The house is a complete-
    Boss: What is this? 'All work and no play make Doris a dull girl'?
    Doris: What?
    Boss: 'All work and no play make Doris' - the pages are filled with it.
    Doris: I ... I... I, I, I didn't do this, I … It was the voice.
    Boss: Excuse me?
    Doris: There was a voice, before. It made my coffee dance. It told me to-
    Boss: To ... what?
    Doris: Nothing.
    Boss: Doris ... take the rest of the day off. See your doctor.

Jonathan: What do you mean she's gonna fade away?
    Warren: The Slayer got slammed with a big-ass dose of radiation when the gun overloaded. Her cells are mutating at an accelerated rate. Eventually her molecular makeup will start losing its integrity and then ... pfft.
    Andrew:: But, wouldn't that kill her?
    Warren: Well, lemme think. Yeah!
    Jonathan: Wait a minute! We're not killing anybody. Especially not Buffy!
    Warren: You guys are so immature! We're villains! When are you gonna get that through your thick skulls?
    Jonathan: We're not killers, we're crime lords!
    Andrew: Yeah! Like, like Lex Luthor. He's always trying to take over Metropolis, but he doesn't kill Superman!
    Warren: Because it's Superman's book, you moron!
    Andrew: But Lex doesn't kill him, does he?!

Buffy:: Come on. He had no idea I was here. This is perfect.
    Spike: Perfect for you.
    Buffy: Well, picture me confused. I thought this was what you wanted.
    Spike: What I want... This vanishing act's right liberating for you, innit? Go anywhere you want. Do anything you want. Or anyone.
    Buffy: What are you talking ab-
    Spike: The only reason you're here, is that you're not here.
    Buffy: Right. Of course, as usual there's something wrong with Buffy. She came back all wrong. You know, I didn't ask for this to happen to me.
    Spike: Not too put off by it though, are you?
    Buffy: No! Maybe because for the first time since ... I'm free. Free of rules and reports ... free of this life.
    Spike: Free of life? Got another name for that. Dead.

Xander: Buffy, it's Xander. Where are you? Listen ... we got a new problem here.
    Anya: Tell her!
    Xander: I'm trying to. Anya and I think whatever made you invisible is slowly killing you.
    Anya: Tell her about the pudding!
    Xander: Anya! Buff, if we don't ... if this isn't reversed, you're gonna ... well, dissolve, or ... fade ... into nothing.
    Buffy: Wow.

Buffy: So you three have, what, banded together to be pains in my ass?
    Warren: We're your arch-nemesises ... ses.

Buffy: Pretty neat, you finding the van. So ... how did you manage to ... do it exactly? I mean, to locate it?
    Willow: The hard way. The spell-free way. The oh-my-god-my-head's-gonna-fall-off, my-feet-are-killing-me way. I don't know how I got through this day.
    Buffy: Well, the important thing is that you did. It's a ... good first step.
    Willow: How are you doing, post-invisibleness?
    Buffy: Okay. I still have to do some damage control from my giddy-fest. Dawn was pretty freaked out. The whole taking-a-vacation-from-me thing didn't work out so well.
    Willow: Tell me about it.
    Buffy: Except ... when I got Xander's message ... you know, that I was ... fading away ... I actually got scared.
    Willow: Well, yeah. Who wouldn't?
    Buffy: Me. I wouldn't. Not too long ago I probably would have welcomed it. But I realized ... I'm not saying that I'm doing back-flips about my life, but... I didn't ... I don't ... wanna die. That's something, right?
    Willow: It's something. So I guess we both made good first steps.
    Buffy: I guess.

Picture: 8
    Gripping: 6
    My Rank: 7
    Total: 7.2
  • This episode was rocking and being funny until Buffy becomes invincible. it gets to be really lame after that. and the scenes with Spike were gross! this was a dissapointing episode.

5.9

the credits start

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Jonathan: You penis!

Doris: Oh, good morning. You must be Dawn.
    Buffy: Can I help you?
    Doris: I'm Doris Kroger, from Social Services. We had an appointment?
    Buffy: Oh, for Wednesday.
    Doris: This is Wednesday.
    Xander: Yes ma'am.
    Doris: Little bit on the tardy side, isn't she?
    Spike: So, we gonna chat this out, or what?
    Buffy: Uh ... now's really not a-a good time. Um, I have company.
    Spike: No worries. I'll wait.
    Doris: Um, Miss Summers, if you and your boyfriend would like to-
    Doris: I'm sorry, did you say-
    Spike: Uh, thing, yeah. Uh, my blanket.
    Doris: He sleeps here?
    Willow: Buffy, I'm not feeling hot, so uh, I'm gonna take a quick nap, okay?
    Doris: Oh, so you live with another woman.
    Doris: I think I've seen enough.
    Buffy: But there-there are good reasons.
    Buffy: I can. I, I do!
    Buffy: What does that mean?
    Buffy: You can't do that.
    Doris: I do what is in Dawn's best interest ... as should you. Have a nice day.

Xander: Willow, we need to talk.
    Willow: We ... are talking. Well, I'm talking and you're looking at me funny.

Buffy: I am the ghost of fashion victims past. Studded caps? Not a good idea.

Doris: What - Where's my... Losing my mind. Okay, who's the-
    Buffy: Kill, kill, kill!
    Doris: What?
    Co. Worker: I didn't say anything.
    Doris: Not you! The mug, it's- But I ... I heard something.
    Buffy: Kill, Doris. Kill everybody. You know you want to.
    Doris: Shut up, shut up, just shut up!
    Buffy: Okay ... no ... no... Yahtzee!
    Boss: What is this? 'All work and no play make Doris a dull girl'?
    Doris: What?
    Boss: 'All work and no play make Doris' - the pages are filled with it.
    Doris: I ... I... I, I, I didn't do this, I … It was the voice.
    Boss: Excuse me?
    Doris: There was a voice, before. It made my coffee dance. It told me to-
    Boss: To ... what?
    Doris: Nothing.
    Boss: Doris ... take the rest of the day off. See your doctor.

Jonathan: What do you mean she's gonna fade away?
    Andrew:: But, wouldn't that kill her?
    Warren: Well, lemme think. Yeah!
    Jonathan: Wait a minute! We're not killing anybody. Especially not Buffy!
    Jonathan: We're not killers, we're crime lords!
    Warren: Because it's Superman's book, you moron!
    Andrew: But Lex doesn't kill him, does he?!

Buffy:: Come on. He had no idea I was here. This is perfect.
    Spike: Perfect for you.
    Buffy: Well, picture me confused. I thought this was what you wanted.
    Buffy: What are you talking ab-
    Spike: The only reason you're here, is that you're not here.
    Spike: Not too put off by it though, are you?
    Spike: Free of life? Got another name for that. Dead.

Anya: Tell her!
    Anya: Tell her about the pudding!
    Buffy: Wow.

Buffy: So you three have, what, banded together to be pains in my ass?
    Warren: We're your arch-nemesises ... ses.

Buffy: Well, the important thing is that you did. It's a ... good first step.
    Willow: How are you doing, post-invisibleness?
    Willow: Tell me about it.
    Willow: Well, yeah. Who wouldn't?
    Willow: It's something. So I guess we both made good first steps.
    Buffy: I guess.

My Rank: 7
    Total: 7.2
  • bad.

3.2
    the trio build a machine that can turn people invisible and then they turn buffy invisible abd buffy decides to have some fun and goes to spikes and has sex with him while she is invisible. Seriously why would you do that your invisible and your having sex with a vampire. did anybody else almost puke while watching this episode. seriously i did not like this episode and i wouldn't recomend it because every other episode of buffy ( that i have wathced) is at least watchable this however is not.

overall: this is the worst episode of buffy i have ever watched.
  • The show goes down the drain...

2.5
    Buffy is a great show. Previous years had super villains like the 'First', bad Angel, Adam and Glory. Now we see the Geeky Trio interfer with Buffy and her group - and its annoying as hell. These are the worst villains in a long time and it is almost unbearable to watch any scene with them. To make things even worse - is to watch Buffy/Spike romance(!). Obviously Buffy is going through some hard times - but Spike is basically an evil character (never does he feel remorse for his past). Doesn't matter how much he 'loves' her, it is unbelievable to see Buffy disregard all his evil deeds and sleep with him. Only Willow's descent into magic-induced darkness makes the rest of the season watchable.
  • Three Guys, One Girl and a Flying Pizza Box.

'Gone' is the eleventh episode of the sixth season of Buffy. The Trio uses the diamond they've stolen to create an invisibility ray for them, but it misfires and it hits Buffy who sees becoming invisible as a great thing. Meanwhile, Willow is still dealing with her magic addiction, Anya is prepping the wedding, Dawn is getting more and more annoying and Buffy has to deal with Spike and a Social Worker.

I love Alyson Hannigan in this and in the previous two episodes, and she is probably the best part of this moment of the season and of the mini-arc that includes both 'Smashed' and 'Wrecked'. Her portrayal of addicted Willow is amazing, especially in the last episode, but I like how she tries to redeem herself by helping Buffy out. Willow, followed by Anya, is my favorite character of the show and it's great to see such a powerful plot for this amazing person.

Other nice parts include Buffy's little pranks while being Invisible Girl and I enjoy how Xander asks her if she has been feeling ignored, referencing the Season One episode with Clea DuVall. Buffy rediscovering her will to live was also nice and kept the Season's theme of 'Life' as a Big Bad going. Buffy and Spike scenes are a little too graphic for me, but I guess it's part of the show and I ultimately support their relationship, even if it's not a healthy one. The whole 'Invisible Ray' didn't do much for me. It's ok to have Sex Bots, but Freeze Rays and that sort of stuff is pushing the line a little. I don't usually like The Trio and I miss the time where Buffy had actual threats to face, but one thing that I liked to see was Jonathan not wanting to kill the Slayer, showing that he hasn't become a complete ungrateful bastard. The episode lacked a little Anya, but the parts that she was in were awesome. I liked the recurring gag of Buffy's adorable hair and Anya's sitting chart options for the wedding.

This was quite long and I think that by now no one is even reading, but 'Gone' was an OK episode, but not one of my favorites.
  • Gone

Gone was a great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode was about giving up addictions and bad habits, and a few of the characters were seen dealing with this type of scenario. I think this episode was a great follow up to the previous episodes dealing with Willows growing addiction to magic. It also followed Buffy and her addiction to sleeping with the enemy. I think the trio are a little lame, but thats the fun of it, that is who they are! I think Buffy's new haircut was adorable, haha. Anya had some funny moments in the episode as well. I look forward to the rest of the season!!!
  • Buffy becomes invisible....and sleeps with spike...again...'sigh'

Remember that huge diamond the trio stole a few episodes back? Well we finally get to see what it was for….a filler. Not that it was that bad, the parts where invisible Buffy messes with Doris and where Spike tells Xander he is "working out" (having sex with Buffy) are funny but the fact that Buffy had sex with Spike again just that this time completely willingly and she didn't deny wanting it, is disturbing. I liked the fact that Willow is becoming magic free and back to her old computer sidekick self (but missing Tara) and that Xander got a more productive role. Dawn on the other hand is very annoying, and I'm not talking about when she's mad at Buffy in the beginning because she is right about that, I'm talking about the pizza box freak-out! Why be so angry (and not very well acted I must say) about Buffy being invisible and her laughing a bit after being so gloomy? She came back from heaven for gods sake, give her a brake!
    I also like Buffy's knew hair, um had to say it. Anya is really cute with the wedding seat arrangements. The episode overall was good, with funny bits and disturbing ones and a not yet done on buffy (oh wait season 1) sci-fi plot.
  • Buffy is accidentally made invisible by the bumbling Trio.

This has got to be one of the funniest episodes yet! It was interesting to see what Buffy would do when she found out that she was invisible. I liked what she did to the social worker who came to check on Dawn. That part was hilarious! I also liked the scene where she was tormenting that poor woman at the park and the scene where she was talking to Xander and Anya. My favorite scene is the scene at the end where the Trio are attempting to fight Buffy in the arcade. It was funny to hear them screaming and try to find each other while Buffy continued to use their voices as a means of fighting them.
  • "I told you to stop trying to see me" :D

I liked this episode. It was soo funny not to see, but hear Buffy. It was kinda the opposite of the "Hush" episode when they just acted, but couldn't talk.
    Anyway, I liked that Buffy enjoyed being invisible, but then realized that she doesn't wanna be dead again.
    And I really loved when Buffy first met "the trio". She was like "Jonathan?" "Warren?" "Who are you?" Great! Those three are so ridiculous, I can't believe they are trying to mess with Buffy. It was great how she asked "So you three have what, banned together to be pains in my ass?"