Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I Only Have Eyes For You

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 1998 on The WB

• I Only Have Eyes For You

This is an absolutely riveting episode! There is flawless material at work here with perfect execution, and I find myself captivated by it every time. It is creepy, atmoshperic, has fantastic special effects, stunning cinematography, and a powerful message of forgiveness. What could have been just a boring ghost story was turned into an unusual and meaningful experience for Buffy.

It begins with a sad, repressed, and alone Buffy looking down at her friends and others having a good time. This is an interesting correlation to her S6 arc where she's in a similar personal state. There are some huge parallels specifically to "Dead Things" (6x13) at work here. Buffy's mood in this episode reminds me of how, in "Dead Things" (6x13), she is looking down on the dance floor in a similar (although much darker) state of mind, again alone with her friends down below having a good time.

Here in S2, though, she can still talk with her friends about her feelings as she does with Willow. Buffy tells her that she's done making impulsive decisions for a long while. In S6, it's the world and her friends she's hiding from when she has dispaired sex with Spike on the same balcony as she is standing on here. This entire episode is about forgiveness and the conclusion of "Dead Things" (6x13) involves Buffy crying in Tara's lap about feeling she, once again, doesn't deserve forgiveness for her questionable actions. In S2 she won't forgive herself for doing something that wasn't her fault (she didn't know Angel would lose his soul) while in S6 she won't forgive herself, once she realizes she didn't come back from the dead 'wrong,' for making real mistakes that are her fault.

There are a lot of metaphors at work in this episode, and they are all handled with care and are not "in your face." Giles says, "See, uh, many times the spirit is plagued by all manner of worldly troubles. Being dead, it has no way to, uh, to make its peace. So it, it lashes out, growing ever more confused, ever more angry." Buffy quickly replies, "So it's a normal teenager, only dead." Most teenagers experience great bouts of confusion, anger, and happiness: aggressive manifestations of both sides of the emotional spectrum.

The plot really captured my attention and imagination. I found the execution and directing of the plot stunning, and that's what really makes this episode much better than it could have been. It also has an aura of creepiness to it that really works. The special effects are wonderful as well, especially the sequence where the wasps are buzzing around the school and then suddenly separate to make a path so Buffy can enter the school.

While all of what I've discussed is great, it's the ending sequence that really propells this episode into fantastic territory. Buffy thinks the ghost doesn't deserve forgiveness, but that's exactly what the ghost needs. The reason why Buffy feels this way is because she is exactly like the ghost. She badly needs to forgive herself for causing Angel to lose his soul, but she isn't willing to give it to herself. She wants to be punished for her action and thinks she doesn't deserve forgiveness.

The ghost wants her because she's the only person it can truly identify with. Through possession she is able to forgive the ghost and the ghost is able to forgive her. It's so perfect that Angelus was possessed by the women, and that Buffy was possessed by the man who committed the tragedy. What the ghost is saying is directly applicable and meaningful for Buffy and Angel's situation as well. This entire scene is quite moving thanks to fantastic acting by both Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreanaz. There's also a beautiful song in this sequence in the background. Frankly, kudos to everyone involved with that scene.

The episode wraps up back at the new mansion where Angelus is literally washing himself. He's complaining of being "violated by love." This is such an amusing sentiment, because many people think that love is often blinding and uncontrollable. If you twist that definition a bit, you can reach the word 'violating' to describe real love too. After Angelus and Drusilla wander off to kill people, Spike gets out of his wheelchair and announces he's back in business, and is extremely angry at Angelus. I love this entire episode: it's got chills, meaning, resonance, beauty, fantastic music, and power. How downright satisfying and tasty!
  • The show that got DB his own series

The Good;

Lovely romance, lovely analogy of Buffy and Angel, Gile's mourning Jenny and a great tribute to the power of forgiveness. Wonderful scenes with Spike, Angelus and Dru too

The Bad;

Fairly little, a good ep although not a great one. Some pretty dodgy zombie makeup to be truthful

Best line;

Buffy; Something weird's going on!

Xander; Isn't that our school motto?

Character death;

The teacher, another SDH faculty member bites the dust

Angel(us) by Buffy

Women good/men bad;

Buffy's anger is focused at James, an obvious substitute for Angel. Cordelia is outraged at the idea of the Sadie Hawkins' dance, not a huge fan of gender equality, obviously.

Questions and observations;

Whenever a gun appears in Buffy it's never good. Always nice to see Shakespeare paraphrased in a US teen show. What happens to the janitor who shot the teacher? Presumably without Giles' testimony and no gun the charges against him are dropped. We have the first confirmation that Snyder and the police are in on the conspiracy regarding Sunnydale and first mention of the Mayor. Spike getting out of the wheelchair at the end speaks of great things to come.

6/10 good ep without being brilliant,

• Season 2, Episode 19.

Sunnydale High staff and students begin reliving a tragedy that once struck the school.

I loved this episode so much! It is my favorite episode of the series so far. "A person doesn't just wake up one day and stop loving somebody. Love is forever." The first sequence of that was awesome, although it was a little weird and confusing. Then as I was watching, I just figured it was going to be a boring episode with everybody doing that and the person would either get saved or die. But I was wrong. I LOVED seeing Buffy and Angel in that sequence. Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance was very powerful. I loved that scene so much! The best scene in the whole series! Then, she went up to the music room to kill herself like the original person did and Angel stopped her. The episode was perfect. Buffy and Angel even shared a passionate kiss. Awesome episode. Best episode of the series so far.
  • I Only Have Eyes For You

I Only Have Eyes For You was a great episode of Buffy revloving around ghosts or spirits stuck in their eternal loop. The story is of a woman teacher having a relationship with a male student. Things turn deadly as the ghosts relive their past while possessing current people in the school. This was an interesting story, and it was neat to see Angel and Buffy play out the scenario. It was also interesting to note that this is the first time, I believe, that the Mayor is mentioned and reacted to with fear. This episode also is the begining of Willow entering into the practice of magic. Another entertaining side story is Angel continually tormenting Spike by playing with Druscilla.
  • Old lovers reunite...wth deadly consequences

I have to admit, this is one of my all time favorite episodes of the season and of the series. The acting is really well done. David B and Sarah Michelle really pushed themselves here, especially David, who played a woman quite convincingly, and not at all over the top.

This episode is also extremely important in the story arcs yet to come. It's the episode that convinced Joss Whedon that David Boreanaz could hold his own in an eponymous series, thus creating Angel; it sets up Spike wanting to get back at Angelus and Drusilla, making him decide to help Buffy in Becoming, and marking his beginning as a good guy; Willow is first warned about magics, or first uses them, can't quite remember. Either way, that becomes her major arc. I didn't really like all the poltergeist-ish stuff, like the bees and snakes, but I can easily get over that. It's not so bad that I wouldn't watch this episode again and again.
  • Old lovers never die.

There is something about this episode that has always bothered me. It has all the characteristics of a great episode and it certainly qualifies as a series classic and on top of that it is one of Joss Whedon's favorite episode (and that man can really do no wrong) but watching it I just don't like the love story. It seems too much, the couples love passed on from passion to obsession and if he had really loved her he would not of wanted to kill but rather he would of been willing to let her go. But I suppose that is the point, the couples relationship is suppose to parallel the love of Angel and Buffy that was doomed from the start and destroyed by their mutual passion, but that type of love isn't healthy or realistic. Maybe because I'm a Buffy/Spike fan, but Buffy's and Angel's love always seemed like they wanted to be in love and have a relationship more than their relationship actually was. Neither one of them can let go of their love even if it becomes self destructive to both of them, they can't kill each other at this point and even though she does later, she can never let him go. And sometimes you have to let go of the things you love, because in it's perfection it is the absence of self and the refusal to let someone go is selfish and harmful. I don't know, I guess this episode makes one think and shows off the love of Angel and Buffy, but that type of love is just not for me.
  • I Only Have Eyes For You "A person doesn't just wake up one day and stop loving somebody. Love is forever."

I loved this episode. One of my favorites. Buffy so torn up, feeling she was the reason for Angel changing. James identifying with Buffy was perfect. The way James had communicated with Buffy. How she denied her true feelings (as usual)

Different instances same feelings. Poor Giles, he wanted it to be Jenny so bad, to see her again.

The scene with Buffy and Angel was great, the song, the kiss. The first time seeing it, I was a tiny bit surprised at which spirit "took" over who, but it was perfect. The whole episode was great, the writing was perfect on this one.
    This one is a definite must see episode, it is one of those I can watch over and over again.
  • "A person doesn't just wake up one day and stop loving somebody. Love is forever."

When random couples start reliving the events of a tragedy that took place at Sunnydale High on the night of the Sadie Hawkins dance in 1955, Buffy must try to find a way to prevent more deaths. At the same time the school is being haunted by what seems to be a poltergeist. This is an amazing episode of Buffy. The tragedy from 1955 seems like something out of a novel. The overall episode is very dramatic, but the scene at the end between Buffy and Angelus, reliving the tragedy, is incredibly moving. The story of James loving what he can't have is very relevant to Buffy's situation this season and it seems only fitting that he identifies with her. When James and Ms. Newman have their happy ending through Buffy and Angelus it gives the viewer a sense of hope for Buffy and Angel, but then it ends and he is back to Angelus (breaking Buffy's heart and ours!). Sarah Michelle and David's acting in this episode is very touching and very real.
    I really feel for Gile's in this episode. His emotional wounds from Jenny's death are still very fresh and it's sad to see him stuck with his one theory, just hoping the ghost is her.
    Of course the episode is not all sadness and heartbreak. It also has some lighter funnier moments, mostly care of Xander and Cordelia. The episode also has an eerie feel to it. The paranormal attacks of the scoobie's are a little creepy.
    It is a fantastic episode leading up to one of the best season finale's, and is also a personal favourite.
  • A Pretty Cool Episode...

Wow Great Story and the best part about it is that I never thought that I would end like that.

I enjoyed seeing Angel play as the Good Guy even though he was not himself. A very interesting story. They were living the same episode over and over again but they were living it in different people but as they said the story always ended the same except for when Buffy and Angel were playing the part.

Oh now that is interesting. Is Spike back? Looks like it has at last he got up from his wheel chair. I don't think he likes the new Angel either or should I saw the old Angel.

Let's see what Spike will do now...
  • Forgiving Is Hard To Do

I Only Have Eyes For You-As the Sadie Hawkins Dance nears, Buffy faces inner demons as she feels responsible for the loss of Angel's soul. Meanwhile, Sunnydale High is even more dangerous than usual as students and staff begin spontaneously reliving an old Sunnydale tragedy.

A powerful, haunting and moving episode that often gets forgotten among the best episodes of the series by fans. "I Only Have Eyes For You" is an episode that combines a wonderful romance story and chilling ghost story into one beautiful episode. The story of James and Ms. Millier's forbidden love is excellent with both actors giving good performances in their respected roles. The flashbacks are also stunning with direction being so intimate and shot in a restropective tint. The plot of the episode with James creating the night he killed Ms. Miller by students and faculty getting possessed by the spirits of the 2 lovers is wonderful yet sad how James is doomed to repeat his cowardly act for eternity. What makes James a great villain is that his not, his just a confused teenager who killed himself and is lost in his pain. The way the episode brings questions of forgivness like "what is forgiveness?" and "why should James be forgiven?" are all marvelous questions that we deal with everyday. Forgiveness is probably one of the hardest things a human being can do for another because it's involves compassion and being able to move on from someone who severly hurt you.

The whole cast is brilliant. I loved how Willow came up with a way to de-posses the school and the sulfur necklaces. Also, watching Giles believe that Jenny is the one haunting the school is heartbreaking, he knows his wrong, but his just using it at an excuse because he misses her deeply. A truly top notch performance from Anthony S. Head as he conveys Giles' pain and lonliness. But the true stand outs of this hour are Sarah M. Gellar and David Boreanaz as they give truly remarkable performances when the spirits possess them. The idea of James possessing Buffy and Angelus being possessed by Ms. Miller is a brilliant twist and both actors give just the right intensity in their roles. Also, this is how Joss knew David was a much capable actor and decide he could carry his own show, which he did. I also love how James' situation mirrors Buffy's because she is still blaming herself because of what happened to Angel and her experience with James makes her question should she be forgiven.

The special effects also get a much better upgradeas they are amazing. The whole sequence of when the school is over run by mosquitoes is fantastic. The make-up of ghost James is quite scary as well as truly disturbing scenes like the snakes popping up in the lunch, Xander being attacked like the locker monster, Willow being sucked into a vortex, and Cordelia watching her face be deformed. The episode ened with a great twist as Spike rises from his wheelchair promises some coming trouble with the Blonde Badass being up and about again. All and All, often underrated, "I Only Have Eyes For You" is a tremendoues episode that has some of the best storytelling, writing and acting ever witnessed on TV.
  • ' to forgive is an act of compassion, we do it not because they deserve it, but because they need it.' an interesting way of looking at it.

two ghosts of past lovers haunt the sunnydale high school. they will keep replaying all's that happen unti one ghost gains forgiveness from the other ghost. the plot is amazing. angel is posessed by the ghost of the girl (grace), while buffy is posessed by the ghost of the guy (james). when there was the ghost and death kept happening connected to a gun, the gang decided to investigate. giles, still sad over the death of jenny, immediatly assummed that it was jenny trying to contact them. this episode showed that giles was still sad bout the death of jenny. other than that, this episode also showed that a part of buffy blamed herself for angel turning evil, thus causing the death of jenny. this episode, she learned to forgive herself rather than angel.
  • Sunnydale High School is haunted by the ghosts of a student and a teacher. They had a relationship together and the male student ends up shooting the female teacher. People in the school keep re-enacting the shooting and strange things start happening.

Probably one of the best episodes of Buffy ever made. You've got to love when Angel and Buffy are re-enacting what happened. I thought it was hilarious that Angel got possessed by the teacher and had to play the feminine role. The love story between the teacher and the student was kinda creepy and at the same time tragic and beautiful. This episode is a classic, I love the acting. Everyone in this episode did there part by making it seem real. Not a big fan of when Spike was in a wheelchair. It's kinda weird. I do feel bad for both the teacher and the boy because it's sad that she didn't love him but it's even more sad that he killed the teacher and then himself. Murder-Suicide is never pretty.
  • The ghosts of a pair of dead lovers have taken over the school, and ooo... There's Buffy/Angel relationship angst. Not to mention ghost angst and Giles angst.

For those who believe in fated lovers. Also for those who believe in forgiveness, which Buffy doesn't. And who can blame her? She's not really a shades of gray person. This episode, for me at least, has what I would describe as memorable moments. Buffy's confrontation with Angel, Giles's obsession with Jenny's death, and Spike's big surprise, specifically. The confrontation was semi-shocking to me; I had thought that there might be one featuring those two characters, but I assumed that the teacher would possess Buffy, not the student. The ghosts fit their chosen bodies rather well, most particularly in that Buffy would not be able to survive a gunshot. However, I thought it might have been interesting to have the slayer on the forgiving side, since Angel has always been seeking redemption, even if that's the last thing on Angelus's mind. But things turned out the way they did and it was a well-written episode that got through to the hearts of the characters. The actor that portrays Giles did an excellent job in this episode.
  • " to forgive is an act of compassion, buffy. it's not done coz people deserve it. it's done coz they need it. "

ghost possession. the coming dance awakened the ghost of a murder suicide in the past. it took control of buffy thru her dreams & it created havoc in the school. buffy figured out that the ghost wanted forgiveness for killing his girl. i like the scene when buffy was channeling james & angel was channeling grace. it showed what happened w/ the ghosts & what they were saying was what buffy & angel are feeling at that time before angel lost his soul. & that conversation scene w/ the gang in buffy's house & buffy completely identifying james w/ angel about forgiveness. & maybe that's why james possessed her coz he was relating to her sadness.
  • Much more than your average ghost story.

It would be so easy to look at this episode as simply a stand-alone ghost story, and whilst it does work that way, there is so much more to this episode than it first seems. 'I Only Have Eyes For You' is filled with foreshadowing, character development and pivotal moments which affect the rest of the entire series.
    Firstly, the main plot of the ghost haunting Sunnydale High was executed perfectly. It's the first proper ghost story that Buffy tackled, I mean in the sense of traditional spooky ghosts, with candles, and eerily lit hallways and surreal manifestations. The (I cant use this word enough) 'spooky' tone of the episode was excellent. It really felt like one of those classic haunted house movies, but of course being Buffy, with plenty of funnies and pop-culture references mixed in!
    The parallels between the ghosts of the student/teacher and Buffy and Angel, were so obvious yet so subtle. It wasnt rammed down your throat straight away so you saw it coming a mile off, but was presented gradually so by the time it came for the confrontation in the school, it was heartbreakingly poignant. And the revelation that Buffy is still yearning for and loving Angel under the hard exterior she has been showing in the past few episodes, is equally heartstring-tugging.
    Another sub-plot which managed to be just as heartbreaking, was Giles and his utter conviction that the ghost was Jenny's. Watching him become so convinced, with little-to-no evidence to prove his theory, was so out of character that you couldnt help but well up. And the fact that this storyline was portrayed in so few scenes was doubly impressive. Even Willow giving Giles the rock brought tears.
    The other great thing about this episode is that it hinted at some HUGE plot points that were to come for the series. Willow finding Jenny's notes on magic, and trying out her first spell is the first taste of what is arguably one of the character's most important storylines. Also, Snyder's comments to the cop confirming that adults are aware of the Hellmouth's existence and his fear over the mention of the Mayor, is delicious foreshadowing for what is to come in season 3, and just brings yet another layer to the show as a whole.
    Overall, I would have to say that this is one of my favourite Buffy episodes. It's one that didn't really stick in my mind as being that important in the past, but after rewatching with the gift of hindsight, I would definitely say it's a series classic.
  • An absolutely amazing episode.

This is one of the best episodes (in my opinion) of the series. The flashback sequences, costumes, and the amazing storyline create a perfect backdrop for the continuing Buffy and Angel drama. The point where Buffy realizes the similarities between her and Angel's relationship and the relationship that the 1950's student and teacher had together is very compelling. The placement of the song "I Only have eyes for you" is chilling and perfect. This episode represents to me the glory days of "Buffy" in its perfection: original plotlines, witty script, and the involved drama between Buffy and Angel make this episode an complete classic.
  • Is there a ghostbuster in town because I think Romeo has come back from the death.

I am watching this episode right now and I have to say that no other show makes tragedy romance stories as good as Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

In this episode we get an ineteresting twist of history repeating itself while channeling students and teachers and lucky us the season's trouble couple Buffy and Angel where elements in that tragic event replay.

You see how clever this episode is.

Buffy and Angel love channeled.

Great stuff.

In this episode everything was perfect.

The writing is great like for example " tell me you don't love me '' that stuff is great but Buffy mad it even more great.

Direction was amazing : how they changed the moment from the real incident to the channeled remake at the right moments was great.

The scoobies in a school with ghostly spirits.

Jst wonderful and I have to say Sarah Michelle Gellar and David Boreaneze's preformance was outstanding.

A fine example of why this show is a huge wonderful phenomena
  • What the "Passion" follow up should've been.

The remainder of the season before the inevitable showdown would have to deal with Buffy's guilt over accidentally reviving Angelus and Jenny's murder by his hand. They attempted to tackle this feeling of helplessness in the previous episode, but the elements failed to gel largely due to introducing an unnecessary element to Buffy's character. This episode tries again and succeeds leagues beyond its predecessor because it touches upon many elements of the series and the relationship between Angel and Buffy.

With the darkness surrounding Angelus following Jenny's demise, it's almost easy to forget that once his good counterpart was in love with Buffy. This episode serves to remind us, if only to intensify the tragedy in time for the finale. Both Gellar and Boreanaz turn in great performances when the lovers possess them that in the end the harsh reality becomes harder to accept. It was this episode that proved to Joss Whedon that David Boreanaz could carry his own show, the "Angel" spin-off.

Buffy's guilt is apparent from the opening, as she can't even engage with the harmless young man who flirts with her at The Bronze. Obviously, it would be a bad choice for her to get involve with someone else so soon after things fell apart, but it shows how badly her choices have affected her life and how extreme they are. She should be out enjoying herself, but can't. Her slaying affecting her life has been boiling for some time, and now it is close to critical mass.

She finds an outlet to unleash her frustration in the story of fellow star crossed lovers James and Grace, a student-teacher relationship that ended in an accidental murder/suicide. Throughout the episode, she empathizes with Grace, as James' actions could be compared on a superficial level to Angelus'. She uses the anger she's had towards Angelus against James, which inhibits her judgment, explaining why she is far more extreme in her attitude than anyone else in the gang during their investigation.

Buffy's staunch condemnation of James for his actions shows her reluctance to forgive herself for her own. Cordelia nails it after Buffy aggressively argues that James is a monster who must be punished for his actions, using words that could easily be applied to her. By proxy, Buffy would feel that she is a monster herself, and it isn't until James possesses her that she realizes that, and such a revelation wouldn't be easy to swallow. Her almost suicide under possession mirrors her self-destructive attitudes. It's similar to her own conflict over seeing Angel as the man she loves or Angelus her arch enemy.

The twist, where the gender roles are reversed when Buffy and Angelus are possessed, is highly satisfying, and is one of the strengths of the episode. The original dialogue between James and Grace is deliberately vague enough to allow themes from Buffy's life and her relationship with Angel to permeate: the desire for a normal life, the abrupt end of their love and her remorse over making it happen. It isn't as forced as Der Kinderstod from the previous episode. The performances are also well done. It could've easily gone the other way and been unintentionally funny.

Like "The Dark Age", Angelus' undead status provides the perfect avenue to handle the supernatural phenomena. Being unharmed by the bullet and fall allowed Grace (inhabiting Angelus' body) to tell James that what happened was an accident and that she forgives him. It's possible that The Powers That Be (as they'd be known on "Angel") orchestrated this to teach Buffy this very lesson. It would explain why this happened this year instead of every Sadie Hawkins' Dance.

Giles experiences his own feelings of loss when he adamantly believes the spirit causing the mayhem is Jenny. His stubbornness rivals Buffy's, even when none of the evidence validates his opinion. Only after James tries to pull Willow into the floor does he realize that she wouldn't do anything like that. His disappointment is muted, but fitting as he had his major grieving in "Passion", as well as the episode's focus on Buffy and Angel's relationship.

As things spiral out of control at Sunnydale High, Snyder's role as principal is illuminated. The mayor (who is referenced for the first time in this episode) placed him there to handle damage control whenever the supernatural events happen. Since there was no evidence to the contrary, it can be assumed that the mayor reference in this episode was meant to foreshadow future episodes when he would be a major player. In a town filled with evil, it's logical that the mayor is someone whose mere mention can scare someone to obey.

Another character turning point comes when Willow looks through Jenny's old things as part of her substitution. Despite Angelus destroying Jenny's computer in "Passion", she obviously backed up her information elsewhere (this is a possible explanation for that plot hole). Since she was last looking for a magical way to restore Angel's soul, there are a lot of magic documents, which will ultimately prove a fateful find for Willow.

The other big twist occurs when Spike emerges from his wheelchair, restored to his original health. With Angelus tormenting Spike with Dru for the past few months, it's not a surprise he would keep his recovery secret. Now that Angelus reeling after feeling like a human again, he finally gets some payback. It is telling where his character is heading as the finale looms, and is also welcome, since impotent Spike is nowhere near as fun as the Spike we saw in the first half of the season.

Of the episodes between "Passion" and "Becoming", this is the one worth keeping. One could skip the other two and not miss much, but "I Only Have Eyes For You" is a worthy entry, reinforcing many of the themes of the season and making this tragic romance harder to watch.
  • Classic ghost love story. Buffy style.

"I Only Have Eyes For You" is one of those episodes that I always sort of forget about when I haven't seen it in a while. There are just so many memorable and outrageous episodes of "Buffy" that this one falls under the radar for me, when I try to think back to favorite episodes, but after watching it again, I realize how great it really is - it's quite outstanding, actually.

It's time for the Sadie Hawkins Dance, and weird things start happening around Sunnydale High. People reenact a fight that ended in a murder/suicide, arms appear in lockers, teachers write weird things on the chalkboard without meaning to, things move by themselves...it turns out that in 1955 a student was having an affair with his teacher. They were in love, but the teacher broke it off because she knew what kind of trouble it would cause. The guy ends up killing her in a fit of passion and then commits suicide. Ever since then around this time he's been forced to relive it as he searches for forgiveness that he can't get.

I loved the transition in this episode with Buffy's dream - that was really, really awesome to see. Good editing with it too, very surreal, well written and well plotted. Having Angel play out the part of the woman at the end and Buffy playing out the guy was an interesting, clever, and ultimately necessary twist. He couldn't die when Buffy shot him, allowing the woman to continue to use his body to forgive her "boyfriend" and end the haunting.

Classic episode, it was a lot different than the typical "monster" episode of BtVS. Probably in my top ten standalone episodes list.
  • Ghosts are haunting Sunnydale High

I enjoyed this one because it was different. We rarely hear talk about ghosts and that made it more interesting. I loved that Giles thought that Jenny was the ghost and he insulted the gang saying that they were wrong and he was right.

I also loved that the spirit of James had some of the same feelings that Buffy had. I loved that Buffy needed the forgiveness that James was searching for. Buffy needed that forgiveness but at the same time she didn't want it. I loved that Buffy could relate to the ghost. I loved Cordy and her usual lack of tact too. I loved that when they were at Buffy's house and Cordelia said that Buffy was over identifying herself when she was talking about James.

I loved that the spirits called Buffy and Angel both to the school. It was obvious that the two of them belonged in those parts that they were called to play. Buffy really needed to be forgiven for what happened and the way that it happened was incredible.

I enjoyed how Willow's plan to put the spirit to rest just caused more of a problem. It was amazing.

This was an amazing episode.
  • Perhaps the best episode of the series

I didn't watch BtVS while on television. I was introduced to the show my freshman year of college by my roommate who had all seven seasons on DVD. I had seen all of season one and most of season two when I stumbled upon "I Only Have Eyes for You" which quickly became my favorite episode.

I don't know why this episode is so fabulous, but here are a few ideas...

1) the song. "I Only Have Eyes for You" is such a classic song and it was so eerie and haunting in this episode. I loved it.

2) the history. I loved the way the plot revealed itself throughout the episode and I thought the student/teacher flashbacks were well done and emotional.

3) of course, the Buffy/Angel relevance to the story at the end. David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar were amazing in these scenes.

I love this episode and still consider it one of my favorite of the entire series. I think it sums up Buffy's feelings for Angel throughout the series.
  • Very sad

Favorite quotes: Willow: The only solution is the final solution.
    Xander: Nuke the school? I like that.
    Willow: Not quite. Exorcism.
    Cordelia: Are you crazy? I saw that movie. Even the priest died.

This was an outstanding episode. It seems the school has become haunted by the ghosts of 2 lovers from the 1950's; James and Grace. Seems James was a high school student and Grace was his teacher. When she tried to break things off with him, he pointed a gun at her and it went off. Horrified by what he had done, he ended up shooting and killing himself. Poor Giles thought it could have been the spirit of Jenny trying to contact him, but as Willow said "Jenny could never be this mean." The gang tries an excorcism, but those never seem to work. Buffy ends up back in the school alone and Angelus shows up. The 2 ghost lovers inhabit them, with Buffy playing the part of James and Angelus as Grace. Anyone who hasnt seen this needs to go watch it now, I cannot do it justice with this review. It was brilliant.
  • A brilliant blast from Sunnydale's past!

The original story from the past was good enough to make a whole episode but combining the future with the tragic tale was amazing.

The playing out of the scene between Angel and Buffy was spectacular, especially as the roles were switched to suit their situations. Angel looked pretty annoyed afterwards at being controlled to like Buffy again.

I like the way that the school was cut off from everywhere else so that Giles, Xander, Willow and the gang were forced to stay out of it. It meant that Buffy and Angel could conntinue their closure without disturbance.

It really was truly gripping!
  • Buffy and Angel join forces after their night of passion, and the loss of his soul, to try and defeat a ghost that is haunting Sunnydale High; and Buffy manages to work through some of her own issues regarding Angel\\\'s change.

This is one of my favourite episodes of all time, I\\\'ve watched it a million times and it just keeps getting better! Anyone who says other wise doesnt know what they\\\'re talkin about! It is NOT a filler episode, its a classic defeating the ghost typical buffy ideal, and they make the villain a hero 4 the night, it\\\'s so original! The speech that Buffy and Angel speak near the end, is so heartfelt and makes me well up everytime - the acting and script is amazing, wonderful episode!
  • A great episode that brings Angel and Buffy back into each others arms,though it was only a fleeting moment and they were both possessed by spirits with unfinished business.Angel and Buffy free the spirits and Angel goes back to being evil.Spike can walk.

I thought this episode was a great episode.It brings back together Buffy and Angel.Although they are posessed by spirits that suffered a tragedy the spirits were in love,Angelus went into the school to kill Buffy but ended up acting out the tradgic events that happened many years ago between the couple at the school,I like the fact that Angelus and Buffy help free the spirits of their unfinished business,I dont like the fact that Angel is evil,but it is a fleeting moment of passion betweent the two that I have been missing,I can do without out snakes definitly,but all in all I loved this episode.
  • Buffy and Angel strangely reunited

I love this episode, it's so touching!
    Buffy and Angel unwillingly reinact an ancient Sunnydale tragedy, could it be more suitable? Considering their painful love and its tragic ending, this episode really hit a nerve!! At least mine! It was amazing!!

For a short time, my favourite couple was back together, even though they were never really themselves. It was just so perfect when they get out of the posession and Angelus pushes Buffy away.
    At this point, you could once again see how Angelus is obsessed with Buffy and how much his alter ego Angel is still somewhere inside of him.
  • Chilling to the bone!

This is a creepy episode. It plays up the "guns aren't good" rule in Buffy and adds confusing flashbacks. I only have Eyes for You is well writine because even though you know Buffy and Angel/Angules will survive, you're stillbitting your nails! The charaters worked well in and the plot was amazing with it's twists. Buffy and Angel were intense with there seen in the school and the real death of the past people and the present makes the episode sad and creepy. With the confussion of the flashbacks and not knowing who will die or why, this episode makes it on to the "star list"!
  • things that go bump in the day...

So there is a poltergeist haunting the school. The spirit of a boy names James from the 50’s. He was dating a teacher and when the teacher broke up with him he killed her and then himself. Buffy hates the ghost and is going to deal with him – she feels he deserves no pity. Things are happening like snakes appearing in the school but the one theme is the shooting scene being acted out. The first time it is a couple whom Buffy breaks up and when she does the gun disappears. The second time it is the janitor and a teacher, a gun appears in the janitors hand and the scene is acted out. When he shoots her the gun disappears and he has no idea what happened. Giles think that it’s Jenny’s ghost but when he and the gang go to perform and exorcism the presence is strong and mean and he knows that Buffy is right. Buffy thinks she hears Angels voice and goes to the school. Angel is there and he is planning on killing her. But they are soon possessed and a gun appears in Buffy’s hands. She becomes James and they fight, she “kills” Angel and runs to the music room to kill herself. Angel shows up and stops her – the old teacher gives James forgiveness through Angel. They kiss and the poltergeist is gone leaving Buffy and Angel there. Angel runs away and Buffy doesn’t know what to do.
  • The Kid Ain't Alright

A surreal, emotional, dark and haunting episode which leaves you feeling both exhausted and affected at the end of viewing, I Only Have Eyes for You is one of the most underrated episodes from season two, featuring some original writing and some stunning acting.

One huge way this episode works is how well it uses Angelus, Spike and Drusilla. Later seasons almost become overwhelmed by its story arc and the bad guys are a little one-note, leaving them to just stand around most of the time making empty threats. The big bads for seasons one-three had actual personalities, which enabled them to blend into more storylines than, say, Adam or Glory did. David Boreanaz particularly impressed me in this episode. Rumor has it that Joss Whedon realized Boreanaz could carry his own show whilst this episode was filming, and began his plans for Angel's spin-off. It's completely believable, as he doesn't go OTT in his scenes as Grace, and doesn't act like a stereotypical female character, like what a lesser actor may have done, creating a believable Grace rather than a campy version.

The idea behind the poltergeists is excellently done. James and Grace's relationship is something many teenage boys dream of, with the hot teacher you have a huge crush on actually reciprocating your feelings and falling for you too. But with the ultimately tragic end to their romance, it creates a dark and sinister twist and one of the most original bad guys in Buffy history. James isn't necessarily a bad guy though, just somebody so distraught with a mix of guilt and anger that he has no idea what to do with himself, with he and Grace reenacting the same events over and over again in a desperate search for some kind of resolution.

As well as featuring some truly awesome haunting scenes (with killer bees, snakes and holes to nowhere), I also loved the characterization, mostly with Giles. He immediately believes the ghost behind the haunting is Jenny and his love for her is completely blinding his judgment. Anthony Stewart Head is remarkable here, creating a believable and understandable reaction to Jenny's recent death and making Giles a lot more human in the process. Just like the slayer he watches over, he also makes mistakes.

Director: James Whitmore, Jr.
    Writer: Marti Noxon
    Rating: A
  • Buffy's bitter regrets (not that she's without cause) grabs the attention of a restless ghost going through his own regret. Unfortunately his is causing innocent people to die.

Another episode that is actually mostly filler, but is so well written that you don't mind. The concept of possession isn't new, but here the writers have made it not a horror story, but a love story instead.

David and Sarah do a good job during their spirit-possessed confrontation of Grace Newman and James, her student/lover when they have to switch gender. I was especially impressed with David's acting here.

The powers of the poltergeist do seem a bit too much...materializing a portal in the floor; creating thousands of wasps, turning school lunches into snakes. We can just strike this up as illusions being given form by the power of the Hellmouth.
< 1 2