Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Inca Mummy Girl

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 06, 1997 on The WB

7.7
  • here again -- Xander's storyline, and here again -- I don't care.

Mummy Dearest appears in Sunnydale, and her kiss takes your life. poor Xander: first that freaking Teacher/Mantis, now the Inca Mummy Girl -- he really has the worst taste in women! but thanks to the "chess/crime club" with Buffy at the head of the mummy's gone forever (though never say "forever" in the Buffyverse :)

and... finally the guy (not only some guy, but the lead guitarist of the band "Dingoes Ate My Baby") notices Willow... it will be the long journey before they become a couple (like 7 or 8 episodes more) -- but that's the beginning, right?

FAVE SCENE: Scoobies are kidding about the mummy woke up and killed Rodney.

FAVE QUOTE: Buffy: Huh! Or... possible huh.
  • A lot of other people give this episode a hard time, but I actually kind of like it.

One of the most notable things is the introduction of Oz though. Television writers everywhere should take notice here, because this is how you introduce a new main character into an already running show. Oz doesn't speak to one main character all episode long. It's also cute that he 'discovers' Willow when all covered up in that Eskimo costume. Oz is going to be slowly introduced to the main characters separately over the course of several episodes coming up, which is just really cool and so not contrived.

The rest of the episode is really about Xander and his running theme of always getting demon dates. It's amusing to know that this will never stop. The mummy girl really does care about Xander and really doesn't want to hurt him. What happened to her was tragic and not her fault but, obviously, what she is doing is wrong. I also really like her conversation with Buffy in her room about sacrifice because it exactly paralells what Buffy went through in "Prophecy Girl".

I also want to mention how much I liked the way Willow finally gave up on Xander romantically. Xander has not shown any kind of persistent interest in that kind of relationship with her from the start, so she wisely decides to move on. She isn't angry or bitter about this revelation either, which is nice. This sets up her emotional readiness to begin a relationship with Oz beginning in "What's My Line? Pt. 2".

The production values are pretty good and the music was perfect to set the mood of the happenings. There's not really much else to say about this. I simply think it is an amiable stand-alone and nothing more.
  • Inca Mummy Girl

A lot of other people give this episode a hard time, but I actually kind of like it. Sure the main plot is mediocre, but at least the main characters have a bit of fun with it. Aside from the basic nature of the plot and the fact that Spike isn't in it, there's really nothing bad here. This is a decent episode that has a self-contained story and some interesting discussion about sacrifice in it.

The rest of the episode is really about Xander and his running theme of always getting demon dates. It's amusing to know that this will never stop (see foreshadowing section). The mummy girl really does care about Xander and really doesn't want to hurt him. What happened to her was tragic and not her fault but, obviously, what she is doing is wrong. I also really like her conversation with Buffy in her room about sacrifice because it exactly paralells what Buffy went through in "Prophecy Girl" (1x12).

I also want to mention how much I liked the way Willow finally gave up on Xander romantically. Xander has not shown any kind of persistent interest in that kind of relationship with her from the start, so she wisely decides to move on. She isn't angry or bitter about this revelation either, which is nice. This sets up her emotional readiness to begin a relationship with Oz beginning in "What's My Line? Pt. 2" (2x10).

• Tell them about the mummy, honey

Inca Mummy Girl.

The Good;

Another doomed romance for Xander with a demon/older woman. Will's lovely Eskimo outfit and the first appearance of Oz and Devon, the first of Jonathon since the pilot. Buffy's identification with Ampata is lovely. A good enough ep but not a great one. Xanders as a cowboy from the country of Leone

The Bad;

Nothing really bad here, just a little lacking in sparkle

Best line;

Oz; What impresses me in a girl involves a feather boa and the theme from a summer place (the mind boggles but I'm sure it's been covered in fanfic).

Questions and observations;

The only ep in season 2 with no Angel in it whatsoever. No Jenny either. The cordettes are back but no Harmony. The mummy's way of killing people is reminiscent of an extremely so bad it's brilliant British sci-fi horror film called Lifeforce. We discover that Xander can drive and that he is aware of Willow's crush on him (which makes him turning her down all the more cruel). How does the mummy know to call Ampata's name at the bus station? Ampata shares Buffy's room, what about the one Dawn will eventually inhabit? Willow plays with a toy frog although it's later established that she fears real ones. This marks the beginning of Willow deciding to try for boys other than Xander. Buffy comments that one day Giles will have to get a proper car and indeed he does. Does Amapata have to drain people totally? Couldn't she just take little bits of Lifeforce so she doesn't kill anyone?

4/10

• So so episode

This episode wasn't that great, but it did have some redeeming qualities. I liked how they made empathize with the villain in the episode. I also liked how they revealed similarities between Buffy and the Inca Mummy Girl. They were both teenage girls who were forced to serve their society as "The Chosen One" whether they wanted to be or not. This episode was also the introduction of fan favorite Oz. This episode also contained the standard elements of many Buffy episodes (i.e. good dialog and characters). I also like how cutesy Buffy is in the early seasons. She is pouty in the early seasons (in a cute way) whereas I found her to be witchy (with a B) in the last 2-3 seasons.
  • Inca Mummy Girl

Inca Mummy Girl was a captivating episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's second season. A new character, Oz, is introduced and he is on the hunt to find out who Willow is. He plays in a band call Dingos Ate My Baby. The story in this episode is about a cultural exchange happening in Sunnydale. There are exchange students, cultural exhibits at the museum, and a dance. When a student breaks a seal held by a Mummy he releases her and she starts trying to live a new life. In the end the cost is too great, and Buffy has to take care of business. This episode also had a gleaming moment where we saw the true bond of friendship between Buffy and Zander at the end.
  • Kiss me a mummy, mummy, kisss meee

5.5
    Poor Xander, he just can’t seem to find a normal date. Praying Mantis lady, Mummy Girl, Vengeance Demon, Cordelia. He can never seem to get a break! To be fair, it’s more action than he probably would have gotten had he not been apart of Buffy’s life.

This week’s adventure is admittedly weak. There are some nice parallels between the Inca Princess and Buffy, both plucked from their normal lives and a sacred duty forced upon them. I would have liked this relationship explored a little bit more than it is here, but that’s generally the theme of the first half of the season, with Buffy trying to adjust to her calling, which she sees as a fulltime job with no particular benefits. It’s not until she meets Kendra at a later stage that she realizes it’s her calling, her destiny. Not a job.

Poor Willow. I’m glad that she’s finally coming to terms with Xander just being her best friend. And, of course, we have the introduction of Oz, so it’s not long now until she finally gets a man of her own. And how adorable did Allison look in that suit? If she would have worn the rocker outfit from Halloween now, I’d say she would have caught Xander’s eye, as well as many more red-blooded males.

/ After last week’s cracking episode, ‘Inca Mummy Girl’ is a fairly disposable, although moderately entertaining piece of television. Season 2 has its fair share of clunkers, and I believe another one is on the way. Having said that, this is completely watchable, it’s just a little too standard for this budding show, which is still trying to find its groove.
  • Worst Buffy Episode of All Time!!!!!!!

I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer and consider it to be the best TV show of all time, but every series has it's not-so-stellar episodes, and I've decided this one has to be the worst episode of all. The whole premise is silly in a bad way and it takes far too long for Buffy to catch on to her exchange student's mummy ways. I really don't think she's that slow. Plus, all the Incan mythology/artifacts are so hokey. The only good thing about this episode is Willow looking so adorable in her awkward Eskimo outfit and Oz noticing her for the first time. I'm glad I watched it for that moment, but otherwise, it was pretty lame.
  • Season 2, Episode 4.

It seems that Episode 4 of every season so far has seen Xander having some deadly trouble with girls. Like in Season 1, Episode 4, Xander had a crush on a teacher who turned out to be a preying mantis. Now, a mummy is after him. Plus, he's always getting in trouble on field trips. Like in 1.06, the hyena possessed Xander at the zoo. Otherwise, not an entirely bad episode. It just gets a little repetitive that one of them is always in trouble. I also find it repetitive that every time one of them is about to be killed, someone (usually Buffy) always miraculously comes to the rescue. They have some impeccable timing. Cool episode.
  • A Mummy for Xander.

I love how Xander has a emerging love of non-human women and I think him and the Mummy are really cute together in this episode even though she looks like she's 30. This episode marks the beginning of both Johnathan and Oz who are such great characters who really evolve. I love how Oz interacts with Devon and Cordelia in this episode and when he asks who the Eskimo is it is really cute. And the introduction of his "who's that girl" is great. Then when he goes up to talk to her she has to go off to save the world. I also really like the parallel between the Mummy having to sacrifice herself for her people and the sacrifices that are required of Buffy.
  • On a school field trip to the museum, one of the students breaks a coffin of an Incan mummy. The mummy rises and takes human form and calls herself Ampata. She starts having feelings for Xander.

This is one of the best episodes in season 2. This episode is kind of funny or ironic as I should say. Ampata is a mummy and she starts having fellings for Xander. Xander being a teenage boy likes Ampata but he's like a demon magnet so that's bad luck for Xander. At least they didn't kiss. My favourite scene in this episode is when Willow is wearing this big fluffy coat and we meet OZ for the first time. He notices Willow and wonder's who she is and he starts to have a crush on her. I think it's like that all season. This episode was really cool and that scene at the Bronze with Oz and looking at Willow wearing that jacket is one of the most memorable moments.
  • I liked this episode, I thought it was good. I'm actually surprised more people don't actually like this episode, because in my opinion, it's really quite good.

This episode was great, even though it was more of a filler episode. I think the mummy was a good idea because she wasn't really evil, but trying to get back what was taken from her. It's quite hard for people not feel some sympathy towards the mummy - she was 16 and had her life taken from her. This episode to me is memorable because it was Oz's first appearance. I loved Oz and Willow together and wish they could have stayed together - but then, I can kind of contradict that because I liked Tara too. But this episode is one of the best filler episodes in the series, and it's one that stands out for me.
  • Yeah, I'm not into all that weird Native American Inca crap... am I allowed to say that?

Well, a show as briliant as Buffy can have its short commings, as proven by this episode. Xander is super-d-duper, but when he takes the lead in this episode, I couldn't really enjoy him. At some points, I was bored watching this episode. That shouldn't happen with Buffy! However low I think of this episode, none can quite match my feeling toward that actress who played the mummmy. Talk about awful, but I shouldn't really trouble you with my Buffy issues for it's not my place. I felt this episode not to be very lovable, so I hope to see Buffy return to form. I have very high standards for Buffy. *Honorable mention to Oz's first appearence. Too bad he didn't do anything.
  • Ehw, She Should Have Stayed In Her Coffin!

5.3
    Inca Mummy Girl-While on a field trip to the local museum, one of the students breaks a ceramic seal in the coffin of an Incan mummy. The mummy rises and must consume the life-force of others in order to remain alive and retain her human appearance. She tries to fit in with the students at Sunnydale, and even starts to develop real feelings for Xander. But when Buffy, Willow, and Giles realize who and what she really is, they may have to rescue Xander before he becomes the mummy's next victim.

The second episode of the "classic horror movie monster" theme of the season and it's as lame as ever. The mummy plot is just boring, cliche, and pointless in the end. Ara Celi as the Inca mummy/Ampata is awfully wooden and her scenes with Xander is vomit-inducing. Again, Xander falls for a beautiful woman alienating his friends only to turn out to be a guillable fool in the end. The writers try to make it Ampata's situation and Buffy's destiny seem similar but come on, Buffy doesn't kill people becuase she's a slayer, so why would that be identifiable? Also, the mummy's bodyguard was annoying and everytime he popped up swinging his knife in people facing like he was some kind of threat. Also, I didn't like how long it took everyone to find out Ampata was the mummy, it just got to the point where I just couldn't help but say, "hello she's a walking corpse, it's so obvious!" Also, when Ampata pretty much tries to stuck the life out of Xander at the end, you're like thinking, "then why waste the time of falling in love with him only to be willing to kill him in the end?"

Although there are some plus sides to the episode, like the introduction of Johnathan (who well be a recurring character throughout the series) and Oz. Seth Green is such a wise-cracking guy in real life and soemtimes you can forget his a really good actor. He plays Oz's laid-back, subtle humor, rock bander nature with ease and his love at first sight when he sees Willow is so cute. Also, the direction is surprisingly good with the scene where Ampata, Johnathan then Xander are backstage of Bronze is shot in this stunning yellow lighting with they're faces cover in the shadow. All and All, a luke-warm episode with a poor monster of the week but some good parts here and there.
  • Xander's terrible girl luck again

I loved the beginning when they were at the museum. I loved Willow and Xander teasing Buffy about using violence. The Mummy was creepy, but I liked that the bad guy in this episode was historical.

Xander getting way overprotective when he found out that the exchange student that would be staying with Buffy was a guy was so cute. Xander then falling for the exchange student that turned out to be a girl was less cute.

I loved Xander, Buffy, and Willow. It was great the way they were together in this one. It was obvious that Buffy was trying to get Xander to admit to feeling something for Willow and that she didn't want Ampada hanging with Xander.

I liked the introduction of Oz too. He was so cute and it was obvious that he felt something for Willow right off the bat.

I liked Cordy and her exchange student. I found it very amusing when he was speaking in English at the end and making fun of Cordelia. Very interesting episode.
  • Xander falls for a beautiful foreign exchange student who is not quite what she seems.

This episode is good but not great. The most noable thing in it is one scene toward the end. Xander offers his own life in exchange for Willow's. This scene shows us how much he loves Willow as a friend and is very touching. However, most of this episode I found myself wanting to smack Xander for being such a swooning idiot. Also, while I felt kind of bad for Willow, who is hopelessly in love with Xander, I found myself getting more and more annoyed by her refusal to let go. I'm not cold-heated...but it just gets annoying after a while.
  • A decent episode. The debut of Oz.

This was never one of my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer story, but upon re-watching it I realized that it has a few redeeming qualities and is better than I remembered. I did not remember much about this episode prior to re-watching it so most of it seemed pretty fresh to me. Poor Xander, he always seems to fall for the demons. This theme would continue throughout the series as a sort of running gag, but he does end up falling in love with a good demon. I can’t say I am a big fan of mummy stories which is probably why I consider this to be one of the weaker Buffy episodes. It is fitting though as they were still in a “monster of the week” mind set at this point of the series and a mummy episode made prefect sense as they had done most of the other “classic monster” stories. Another thing that makes this episode worth watching is the debut of a fan favorite character Oz. He is portrayed by the great Seth Green and will prove to make a big impact on the show later on. Overall, this is not a great episode but it’s decent so give it a watch.
  • Xander can't get lucky for anything

It seems that Buffy is going to have an exchange student staying with her. Buffy thinks it is going to be a boy, but turns out to be a beautiful girl (Ampata) who comes to stay. Ampata and Xander hit it off immediately and he even decides to ask her to the upcoming dance, and she accepts!
    The downside is that Ampata is actually a mummified girl who has to suck other peoples souls to stay alive. Fortunately for everyone except Xander, Buffy and Giles figure it out and are able to stop her. Another perk of this episode? Oz sees Willow for the first time and it is love at first sight!
  • Humour, love and gender confusion of an ancient mummy; sounds great!

This episode is extremely well plotted to show that not all the bad guys are evil, some of them just want a normal life. This is perhaps the first enemy that Buffy can associate with as they are both in a similar situation.

Xander finds himself some happiness, but yet again as was the case wih Ms French, she wants to kill him. He never seems to get it right.

At the Bronze when they are all dressed up as different coutries Willow's outfit was the best. How she managed to keep cool I do not know but it gpt her noticed by Oz!

Seeing braces on an ancient mummy was a rather unique sight which I will never forget.
  • mummy love

the best xander episode. an incan princes is woken up and she needs boys to survive. a lot of kissage. ampata has a guard to keep her in and now he is after after and the scoobies for keeping her. my favorite scene ws witl eskimo willow and ampata almost kissing xander. i also liked the introducing of oz who liked willow as an eskimo. another brilliant episode and i felt bad for the poor mummy who fell appart at the end.
  • Aren’t mummies all ugly and bandaged?!?

So this time it is mummies. The kids at Sunnydale are taking another field trip (they do this a lot). And one of the guys accidentally breaks an ancient seal and release the spirit of the mummy. Also in Sunnydale right now the some of the students are having foreigh exchange students stay with them. Buffy is supposed to be getting a guy which upsets everyone, especially Xander. But instead a pretty girl shows up making Xander happy, and Willow unhappy. We know that she is really the mummy and needs to kiss people to take their energy but no one has figured this out yet. When Buffy finds a corpse in her luggage she figure it out. But time is running out. Xander and the mummy are getting close and although she needs people to live she can’t hurt Xander. She does try to hurt Willow but Xander won’t let her. Without her energy she turns back into a mummy. Note: Oz seems smitten with Willow.

Funny Quote: Xander: That's great! You're not a praying mantis, are you? Sorry, someone else.
  • I'm back! This episode had some interesting elements in their relation to the major storyline for the season, but it didn't quite gel.

This episode, following the classic “School Hard”, is a let down because of the season one concept remnant of using horror movie icons for story ideas. However, it does tie into the theme of the season: Buffy trying to achieve a sense of normalcy while balancing her duties as the Slayer. So this works to bring in a character, Ampata, dealing with similar issues, but, her dilemma doesn’t quite mesh or develop as would be hoped.

Instead this episode is another example of how Xander has awful luck with women, with his ill-fated romance with Ampata. Granted, Ampata is beautiful, but Xander and Ampata fall for each other a little too easily, making the tragic romance angle forced. It’s especially frustrating when the show has a far better tragic romance between Buffy and Angel. Maybe if they had Willow and Xander fight early in the episode, making this a little more about getting back at Willow.

Ampata, as a person, isn’t evil. However, her need to feed off the life of others makes her so. But the juxtaposition of this against Buffy hiding her slayer identity doesn’t fit. Maybe if someone else, like that goofy guard, was taking lives to support her, it would’ve clicked better. Perhaps this idea worked better on paper.

It is implied that Ampata was a Slayer as well, which helps explain how she could take on Buffy and not get a swift beat down. Unfortunately, her people took this as a sign of witchcraft and killed her. This angle could’ve been explored more in depth as it worked with the major themes of the season. Slayerdom has changed a lot in the five hundred years between Ampata and Buffy. While Buffy can’t have a totally “normal” life, she is far better off in modern California.

There are some glaring plot holes through the episode. How is Ampata able to get clothes? Certainly Buffy would be willing to let her borrow some, but wouldn’t she grow suspicious if she asked everyday for them? Although it may be just because they are teenagers who obviously spend a lot of time internalizing things, but wouldn’t either Buffy or Ampata realize that they’re acting similarly to cover up their secrets?

Plus, it’s ignorant of the gang to believe that Ampata would be able to decode that seal. Just because someone’s from another country doesn’t mean that they are an expert on the history and customs. This is one of those situations where they’re acting dumb for the sake of the story. And let’s not get started on the ethnic stereotype parade at The Bronze (why would The Bronze hold a school event), even if Willow in the Eskimo outfit was a little funny.

The biggest contributions of this episode are the introductions of Jonathan and Oz. Oz has a more substantial role, but his character is so far defined as having a crush on Willow (and appearing a little bit bored with his band). It’s forgivable since his character grows a lot in subsequent episodes.

While this episode has a lot of sloppy moments in construction of the plot, there are still elements of the season in place. This theme, unfortunately for these episodes, wouldn’t kick in until the final third of the season, where some real magic happens.
  • Xander falls for an exchange student staying with Buffy.

While out on a field trip, someone from Buffy's school disturbs a Inca mummy princess. She is awaken and poses as an exchange student who has come to stay with Buffy for 2 weeks.
    Buffy who was expecting a guy, accepts the girl and tries to make her comfortable.
    The girl/mummy and Xander hit it off.
    Xander asks her to the dance.
    Buffy and Giles figure out that the girl is the mummy.
    Giles tries to reassemble the seal that was broken when the mummy was disturbed.
    The mummy puts Buffy and Giles in a tomb, and tries to feed off Xander. Buffy escapes and saves the day, as usual.
  • Buffy Summers: Tomb Raider

5.4
    Something of a recurring gag through the seven years of Buffy was the fact that Xander was a magnet for demonic women, with praying-mantis-women, mummy girls, vengeance demons and Ashanti (-shudder-) all falling at his knees. Inca Mummy Girl sees the second occurrence of this happening, with a creepy Incan mummy being awoken from her tomb and falling for him.

The Incan Mummy herself wasn't that great. Knowing that she was a monster right from the get-go let the story down, and the scenes of Ampata (her assumed name) flirting with Xander and integrating into society didn't convince, seeing as you never really knew (at least during those scenes) if she was really just duping everybody. In the end, even her search for humanity seemed a little forced. If she was so in love with Xander and wanted to be just a normal girl, why would she resort to sucking the life out of him in the end? It slightly spoils that part of the storyline and quickly sweeps under the carpet the fact that we were gaining sympathy for her, reducing her to just another bad guy. The parallels between both the mummy girl and Buffy don't work either, as they're used so sparingly that, in the end, we really just don't care.

One thing that I noticed on re-watching is that this episode is extremely reminiscent of an old Scooby-Doo segment. We have the four leads who fail to notice the obvious fact that Ampata is evil and all four looking around for clues and taking a while to come around to answers that in any other episode they would have figured out ages ago. Plus, the mummy's bodyguard just popping up constantly was extremely lame. Was he just standing around near-by for the hundreds of years that the mummy was being shipped around to different places? Handily leaping into action whenever an attractive blonde and her group of little investigators turned up at the scene?

But despite the lameness of the entire mummy story, we do get some greatness in the scenes involving Oz, making his first appearance, who makes an immediate impression due to his quirky dialogue and the fact that he's seemingly the only person outside of the episode viewer who finds Willow adorable in her Eskimo suit. Plus, the direction by Ellen Pressman is also impressive, especially in the scene where Ampata seduces Jonathan (also making his first, albeit tiny, appearance), whilst bathed in creepy yellow light.

This is one of those few Buffy episodes that you could easily fast-forward through. Randomly skip over any of the mummy scenes and you still won't miss anything important.

Director: Ellen Pressman
    Writers: Matt Kiene, Joe Reinkemeyer
    Rating: D
  • Willow: "Well, you know, I have a choice. I can spend my life waiting for Xander to go out with every other girl in the world until he notices me, or I can just get on with my life." Buffy: "Good for you." Willow: "Well, I didn't choose yet.

6.6
    This time around Buffy takes on the Mummy-mythos with a teenaged, Buffy-style twist. Unfortunately for Xander, it's another monster who gets the hots for him.

Faux-Ampata makes a tragic figure which is a nice change from the shuffling, strangling mummy. There's some really nice scenes with Xander and her; especially the lesson about Twinkies...

And we revisit poor Willow's unrequited love for Xander again. Its sad and funny and I love Alyson Hannigan. And of course we get to meet the walking coolness which will be Oz and the absolutely sweet relationship between him and Willow.

This time though, he sees her, but she doesn't yet know that he exists.

As for the A-plot. The parallels between Buffy and her Duty and poor faux-Ampata and her Duty is a little too heavy handed. We get it, already!
  • 'What kind of girl travels with a mummified corpse and doesn't even pack lipstick?'

Wow, what an episode. The third Xander episode, which are very underrated because I adored ‘The Pack’ and ‘Teacher’s Pet’ but this one is superior.

It’s about an Inca mummy, she was chosen to die but she doesn’t think it’s fair and chooses to steal lives to be able to live on.

It begins with the Scooby’s talking about school and exchange students from over the world coming to Sunnydale, one of them is a Latino who’s name is Ampata and is going to stay at Buffy’s house. Xander, ofcourse is jealous.

In the museum Cordy talks about her exchange student who she seems to like a lot but Buffy hasn’t seen her. When they leave the museum a friend of Willow stays behind to steal a seal in the museum of an Incan Mummy and when he grabs it, he accidentally breaks it and the Mummy awakes, bye bye says the boy.

Giles was very harsh on Buffy’s private life the first seasons, he didn’t want her to have those and while training she is able to hurt him with her slayer powers that he lets her go to the dance she wanted.

Willow noticed that her friend is gone and they go back to the museum where they find that the seal is broken and there is another mummy instead, one with bracelet.

Buffy remembers that she has to pick up Ampata, when he’s waiting for her someone calls him and then kisses him turning him into a mummy. When Buffy and her friends arrive they find instead a young girl who Xander immediately has a crush on.

When Xander and Ampata are trying out food, they get attacked by a guy who attacked them before in the museum, he’s possibly the guardian of the mummy.

When they talk about the seal Ampata gets upset, she wants them to destroy it and walks away. When Xander follows her she wants to be alone, she wants a normal life and what they are doing is dangerous. Willow tells Xander to ask her out to the dance and then she says yes and goes into the bathroom where the guardian is waiting. He says she was chosen to die and doesn’t belong but she doesn’t want to die because she is inlove and kisses him turning him into a mummy.

Willow’s crush starts to fade a bit in this episode, she knows that Xander isn’t inlove with her and wants the best for him. She knows that she has to move on and goes as an Eskimo to the dance all alone. There a guy in the band who’s a friend of Cordy’s boyfriend noticed her and seems to like her ‘Who is that girl?’

At the dance Buffy has to stay home because she has mummy haunt, she and Ampata have the same back story. They are chosen to do something they didn’t ask for. Xander and Ampata go and they have an intimate moment, but then her hands start to mummify and leaves Xander and takes a dork into a room.

When Ampata tries to kiss the dork she can’t because they are interrupted by Xander. He leans on her and she says she isn’t worthy of his love, but then she kisses him and almost drains him but stops. She can’t and walks away.

Meanwhile Buffy already discovered what is going on, in Ampata’s trunks they find the mummified body, Giles is gonna try to re-ensemble the seal while Buffy is going to the bronze.

Buffy soon tells Willow about what’s going on and Xander is okay, but he still doesn’t know about Ampata. When Ampata arrives in the museum she tries to kiss Giles but Buffy saves him. She puts Giles together with Buffy in a coffin and tries to kiss Willow but Xander stops them. He makes her chose between herself or him, she choses herself but when she tries to kiss him it’s too late. She is almost dried out and Buffy grabs her and she tears apart and falls to dust.

Xander says that he has the worst taste in women, Buffy says that she wasn’t all bad but I wouldn’t have worked out.

This episode was superb, Ampata’s character was mixed well with Buffy and Xander. Also Willow’s character developed in this episode and got even someone who liked her.

Excellent piece of work, Mummies rock.

• The draining mummy

This is an ordinary episode. Unfortunately my favourite vampires do not appear in this episode, I’m sure that the three could have been inserted into the episode. Even Cordelia has small part in this episode, but still she is in it now that she is in the title credits. Once again Xander falls in love, and of coarse it backfires right in his face. First it was a praying mantis and this time is a life sucking Inca mummy. He sure knows to attract the strange.
    This episode also introduces Seth Green’s character of Oz, and you get a glimpse of the greatest side characters of the show, Jonathan, when Ampada the mummy tries to suck the life out of him.
    Although it isn’t an episode that is part of the Mythology arc, it is a great episode.
  • The Mummy, Buffy style.

This was a pretty good episode of Buffy. I liked the whol mummy storyline and and the whole incan princess thing about how she was the chosen one which Buffy can obviously relate to. This was pretty much just your normal, yet still very good, monster of the week type episode of Buffy. I loved the special effects in this episode, the mummifying was very cool looking. I loved all the characters in this episode, especially Willow. You know, seeing her want Xander but then sorta talk to Buffy about how she will probably never gonna have him and everything. Oh and I absolutely loved her Eskimo outfit, that was so Willow. This also introduced us to Oz who would later become a regular in the series, I loved him in this episode noticing Willow in the Eskimo outfit saying "That girl, Who is she?", I loved that. Overall a good monster of the week type episode of Buffy.
  • Not exactly a dealbreaker for fans of the show, but it was still the most boring episode of the season.

5.5
    Only watch this if you really like the series and want to watch every single episode. Nothing really happens in it and this isn't one of the better storylines of the show.

Basically this episode's baddie is a mummified girl who kills by draining the life out of people with a kiss. The episode gets props for attempting to explore the Willow/Xander relationship and also for making a parallel to Buffy's plight. However, it fails to accomplish both and ends up seeming rather forced.

It would have been better if the Willow/Xander backstory were given more than 5 minutes, however, the writer of this seems to think that the viewers would rather see endless scenes of Xander and the baddie-of-the-week-who-we-know-will-die-anyway dancing closeup and gazing into each other's eyes.
  • One of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

Most of my favorite episodes revolve around Xander. He is, after all, my favorite character. What I love most about this episode is that even though he finally had someone that he liked a lot who liked him back, he chose Willow over her. Willow will always be one of the most important people in his life, even though they aren't together romantically.

The romance between Xander the Inca Mummy Girl (Ampata was not her name) was very sweet; I liked that this villain wasn't villainous. She had real pain and she was actually coming from the same place Buffy was. Only her killing kinda got in the way. I sympathized with her, I understood why she was doing it even though I strongly disagreed.

How awesome was the scene where she almost killed Xander at the dance? The lighting of that scene and the way the actors played it made it so beautiful. Excellent. Willow was insanely jealous of Xander's new relationship, but this episode offered a light at the end of the tunnel for her in the introduction of Oz. Excellent.

The friendship between the core four is shown strongly in this episode, and that's what I'm all about. Friendship. That it continues throughout the entire series is a big part of what made this show so strong.
< 1 2