Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Lie to Me

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 03, 1997 on The WB

• Lie to Me

This episode has two strikingly large problems, one being the fact that Ford is an extremely boring character until the very end of the episode, and two being that there are some pacing problems. As I was watching this again I was thinking that it wasn't going to score very high, but then the fantastic foreshadowing and slowly building character development began to win me over. The end, of course, is also fantastic.

The episode begins at night as we see Drusilla, in her creepy white dress, approach a little boy waiting for his mom to pick him up (his mom must be really late). Angel arrives in a knick of time to spare the kid's life and have a little chat with Drusilla. This conversation is actually one of the highlights of the first half of this season. A truck full of foreshadowing is unleashed in the dialog between these two (which is stated below). This is the kind of stuff I eat up. Buffy comes in on the end of the meeting and sees Drusilla close to Angel then runs off looking hurt because she makes dumb assumptions about what was going on. This is one thing I don't like about Buffy's character consistently through the earlier seasons. She always overreacts to things she sees without knowing the context of the situation or the facts.

Anyway, at school the following day Buffy and Willow are amusingly passing notes in class discussing what Buffy saw. Buffy seems to have a cooler head about the situation now. Then Ford arrives out of nowhere and is introduced as a character we know isn't going to be on the show after this episode. I'm glad in one respect, because I really don't like Ford.

Ford being thrown into the group dynamic does create some interesting interaction. Angel lies to Buffy about his whereabouts which in turn causes her to give him the cold shoulder. That makes her eager to leave The Bronze with Ford because of all the romantic tension directed at Buffy by Angel, Xander, and Ford. All of this is too much for Buffy so she does end up leaving the building. I can't say I blame any of the guys for having the hots for Buffy.

There's a few extremely powerful scenes towards the end that really make up for the lackluster first half. One involves finally getting some hard facts about Angel's past. We discover that he killed all of Drusilla's loved ones and then mentally tortured her, all before turning her into a vampire. This naturally creeps Buffy out a bit, even though she wanted to hear it.

Another fantastic scene is when Ford reveals his cancer problem to Buffy. She reacts perfectly to this news, "You have a choice. You don't have a good choice, but you have a choice! You're opting for mass murder here, and nothing you say is gonna make that okay!" I also respect the writers for having a character who sticks to his guns and doesn't give into the "good guy emotionally moving speech." Ford decided not to help Buffy, even after she desparately tries to convince him otherwise.

All of this leads to the moving final scene where Buffy matter-of-factly kills Ford as a vampire and then asks Giles if life gets any easier or any less confusing (see final quote below). The dialog between these two really causes some thought. As you grow up things become more complicated. It's not as clear who's your ally and who's your enemy anymore. There certainly isn't lacking interesting discussion here. So while I don't particularly love this episode, I must admit that it has some truly golden scenes and a lot of beautiful foreshadowing.
  • First loves

Lie to Me;

The Good;

The central story is very strong and it makes great fun of all the vampfans out there (Twilight lovers I'm talking to you ). The scene with Dru and the kid in the playground is scary as hell . First appearance of Chantrelle/Lily/Anne and she's great. Angel in the vamp club is hilarious. Ingenious the way Buffy defeats Spike and co, once again you see that this girl has brains and guile and not just looks and brawn. Adore the Angel/Will scene, her hiding her undies and telling him she's not allowed boys in her room. Willow finally realising what the Divinyls song 'I touch myself' is really about (you know if that had been sung by a guy they'd have never played it on the radio). Willow still in her 'startled virgin' phase which they play for laughs and will eventually be taken over by Dawn as Will grows more and more worldly. The Divinyls also provide music for the Buffy movie. Lovely scene between Giles and Buffy at the end.

The Bad;

Not much, strong ep

Best line;

Giles; I believe that's called 'Growing up'

Buffy; Then I'd like to stop now, ok?

but also

Willow (about Angel) "Ours is a forbidden love"

Xander (after Chantrelle describes vamps as 'the lonely ones') "Actually we call them the nasty, pointy, bitey ones"

and Giles' wonderful speech at the end.

Questions and observations;

Cordy identifies with Marie-Antoinette. One day she too will be a Queen with people having their heads cut off. Ford likes Jack Palance as Dracula which is also the version Angel recommends (you wonder did he ever meet the real thing? He was certainly in Romania) Don't bother looking for Ford in the Buffy movie, I assure you he's not even mentioned. Jason Bher (Ford) will work with SMG again in The Grudge. We get the story of Angelus and Drusilla for the first time, explaining why Angel was reluctant to talk it over with the Scoobies.

Ford is SUCH a scumbag. Ok, you're dying but that doesn't mean you kill dozens of other people to enable you to 'live'. His scheme also seems unecessarily elaborate, why not just catch a vamp, chain it up in the open and tell it either to sire you and you'll release it or it'll be dead by sun-up?

Buffy entered a beauty contest at Hemery (check out 'I know what you did last summer' for SMG in a swimsuit pageant). Giles and Jenny have their second date at a monster truck rally which I think would have been a great episode in itself. Spike keeps his word and sires Ford, as with his love of Dru he seems a very atypical vampire.

Great stuff 8/10

• Lie to Me

Lie to Me was a good episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's second season. This episode introduced us to an old friend of Buffy's from LA. He was slick and worked his way into the group in no time. It was funny to watch how Willow and Zander reacted to this outside invader. I thought that the story itself was interesting. This guy betraying his old friend Buffy in order to become a Vampire because he terminally ill. This touches on some delicate subject matter, and there are moral dilemas presented. The characters play their parts well and I really enjoyed the ending conversation between Buffy and Giles.
  • One of the first great episodes. Lots of depth and a couple surprises.

One of the first great episodes. Lots of depth and a couple surprises. Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review Review
  • People wanting to become vampires

So an old buddy of Buffy shows up in town and starts hanging out and getting into the spirit of Sunnydale by killing Vampires.

Well not really. He let the vampire go and told Buffy he killed it. Why? So he can chat to the vampires and make them a deal to get Buffy. Nice one. hence the title of the episode.

Who wouldn't want to become a vampire. except when there is a Slayer around to put a stake through your heart.

So the friend sets up a trap and locks everyone in a room and the vampires come and Buffy kicks there dusty demons and the friend gets his wish after telling Buffy he has a brain tumor. but Buffy puts him down in vampire form. SO thats what you get for lieing to Buffy. Good episode well thought out and plot.
  • Season 2, Episode 7.

Buffy's old friend from L.A. comes to visit. However, he knows that she is the Slayer. Buffy catches Angel with Drusilla and suspects that he is dating her.

Ford is so sexy! I would be torn between him and Angel, but Angel is sexier. Both of them should have been shirtless in this episode. I liked when Ford caught Buffy slaying a vampire, though. That was pretty cool. Xander needs to grow up whenever Buffy is in the presence of a male, because he is just getting extremely annoying. I liked that Angel and Willow had a scene together. That was awesome. Definitely a good episode. :)
  • Buffy's friend from LA, Ford comes to visit, but he's not everything he seems to be.

There are a couple of moments that I really like in this episode that make it stand out for me.

The first two are drama intense kind of moments. Ford's whole speech to Buffy about why he was willing to sacrifice her, as well as the other Believers, I found to be quite emotional. That speech, the way that Jason Behr delivered it, and especially the way that Buffy reacted to it, made me feel sorry for Ford, as I believe was the intention. I'm not saying that I agreed with his decision, but in that moment I could sort of understand why he was willing to do what he was. I also loved the moment between Giles and Buffy at the end, when she asks him to lie to her about what life really is about. It just summed up the episode, to an extent, the show- that life really isn't easy, and often it seems to just get harder and harder. I mean, what could be harder than finding out one of your oldest friends has a brain tumour and is willing to have innocent people killed, including yourself, in order to stay young? Pretty tough stuff to deal with.

I also really loved the scene with Willow and Angel when he asks her to dig up information on Ford. It was this comical scene, but also a sort of sweet one between them. And we get to see just how much of an impact that Buffy has made on Angel's life- so much that he feels the need to check up on her mates because he's jealous and wanting to look out for her.
  • Ah vampire lovers.

It's Jason Behr!!! I love him as an actor and he is really good in this episode as Buffy's old friend who comes to visit and to kill her, but what are old friends for? His reaction to his death is realistic and at the same time you want to feel bad for him, he has taken his plans way too far and has lost sight of what's right and wrong which is something that people are constantly faced with. I also like how Angel is given more interaction with the other characters in this episode because normally he only deals with Buffy and it was nice to see him work with Willow and Xander. Then at the end when Buffy asks Giles to lie to her which shows how she knows she has to face what is happening but still wants to revert to the ignorance bliss that comes with youth, but she knows it isn't true, which is proved by the actions of Ford in this episode. And Anne is introduced who becomes a good character later in episodes and then on Angel.
  • It's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after.

The very qutoable and fun episode of Buffy "Lie To Me" shows how solid this show can really be. No more monster of the weeks, this one is very unique and diffrent. Ford an old friend of Buffy (who is unlikeable even before he is revelaed to be evil) comes to visit the Buf in Sunnydale. But what is so cool about this episode is the ending when the vampires lock all those worshippers incluidng Anne (or whatever her name was before). It was a very interesting episode and sets the Spike/Buffy tension even higher. Also Dru got to show off how insane she really is... which is a lot by the way!
  • the truth really hurts.

a surprise visit from a friend left buffy stunned especially when he told her he was staying for good. furthermore, he seemed to know about buffy being the slayer.in fact, he seemed to know more about her world. as it turned out, ford had a plan to use buffy for his dream of becoming an immortal, as a vampire. he would trade the slayer to the vampires in exchange for turning him into one of them. buffy tried to reason w/ him but he wouldn't listen and eventually lost his life. as twisted as it is, i can understand why ford would do such a thing. he just fears for his life coz of an inflicting disease and he didn't want to suffer anymore and by becoming a vampire, it'll all go away. the conversations in the end w/ buffy & giles is one among my favorite lines in this series.
  • Liar, Liar, Not So Dyer

7.9
    Lie To Me-Ford, an old friend of Buffy's from L.A., shows up unexpectedly in Sunnydale, and seems to know that she is the Slayer. When Xander, Willow, and Angel discover that he is involved with a cultish group of disillusioned teens who idolize vampires, they must find out Ford's true agenda before it's too late.

Not the best episode, but it has some great plots and character development. Buffy and Angel continue to try to grow closer to actually starting a reltionship but there are still minor obstacles in the way. Buffy has a problem with trusting Angel even though she loves him and Angel needs to learn how to be more honest with Buffy. The scene in Buffy's dining room between the 2 characters is excellent with both actors commiting. I loved Angel's confession about Drusilla and the what he did to her before he made her into a vampire. It's really terrible but just shows how evil this vampire with a soul was. The whole plot with the vampire groupies wanting to become vampires is okay I guess if not pathetic. I mean it's a good idea, but isn't really executed well. I mean you don't feel sorry for this people, you just feel like telling them to get a life and calling it a day. Although there are some funny moments like one of the groupies dressing like Angel and Buffy's hilarious line of "...and my God, could you be wearing a dorkier outfit?" Then there's Willow being so nervous with Angel in her bedroom, lol. Also, a downside is Jason Behr as Buffy's old friend from L.A. who is at the center of the plot. Not only is the character pathetic, but Jason's acting feels out of place on Buffy. Maybe that monotone, over-dramatic acting works on Roswell but not on Buffy. Not to say, Roswell isn't a good show in it's own right. But I did like Spike's involvement and how he was so annoyed at first sight when meeting Ford. Also, we see how Spike isn't just a badass villain, that he has strong feelings for Drusilla when Buffy threatens to kill her. It's great when we see vampires with humans emotions, even though they are innately evil. The episode ends with a shock as Ford is actually turned into vampire in the end just as Buffy dusts him. Then Buffy asks Giles to lie to her about life and he does as they walks away from the cemetary. All and All, a very enjoyable episode because character development and good themes despite a mediocre plot and guest star.
  • The whole episode was a lot of good stuff.

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked that Jason Behr was a guest star. I thought it was a lot of fun watching Angel get jealous and to learn Angel's connection to Drusilla was perfect. The vampire wannabes was a great added touch. I love when Angel talks about how none of them know how to dress and that one guy walks by in the same outfit as Angel. It's great stuff. I also like how Ford wasn't just your black and white bad guy. He was likeable and charming and had his own reasons, selfish as they may be, for doing what he did. I always like the bad guy that can't be completely hated. Great episode for sure.
  • A very solid episode. I am not “lying to you” about it.

This is the second consecutive five star episode of Buffy. This episode guest stars the very talented Jason Behr as an old friend of Buffy’s from L.A. He is not what he seems, though. This episode is able to introduce a new character and develop him very effectively considering he only appears in this one episode. That is something that I feel so many other series fail to do. In Buffy, you seem to care about all of the characters wether they are good or evil. At this point, even knowing that Drusilla is evil I sure did not want to see her get killed, which is why I was glad that she did not. Joss Whedon seems to have that knack for character development, which is what makes his shows stand out among the crowd. The only criticsm I can give this episode is that it does not contain much (or possibly not any, I can’t recall) of the hilarious Cordelia. Other than that, this is not far from being a Buffy classic. And I am not “lying to you” about it.
  • Not a bad episode, but it could've been so much better.

Continuing the theme of Buffy wanting to be normal, Whedon gives us some information about what Buffy’s life was like before she was chosen by way of Ford. Because the story needed to be advanced, not much time is given to this past, but it is nice to see that Buffy did have a life before coming to Sunnydale. It reflects an easier, pre-Slayer time for her, but the reveal of Ford’s true intentions symbolizes how much things change and how Buffy needs to face that reality. It’s hard to fault her: like she would think one of her old friends would trade her life for a guaranteed shot at immortality.

Buffy is also having a hard time adjusting to the increased complexity of her relationships. Things with Angel hit a snag as both deal with jealousy. In a twisted way, they both learn that there were other people in their lives. However, the fact that one is an evil vampire and the other is willing to let a dozen kids be slaughtered so he can become one makes the resolution of said jealousies easy. Considering what’s in store, this easy out is forgivable.

Soon after Ford arrives, he tells Buffy that he knows she’s The Slayer, and that he found out just before she left her old school. Considering how much he seems to know about the topic, Buffy’s lack of concern reflects someone who wants to believe he just happens to know because of their history. As far as we know, the only people who were brought into the circle, beside Buffy and Giles, were people who inadvertently experience some supernatural phenomena, reveal that they know something about it or are evil. This should make Buffy a little bit more suspicious as Angel was. Like in many of our lives, a friend we haven’t seen in a long time returns only to reveal himself as someone different than the person we befriended. Only this episode goes to the farthest extreme. As we’ve been told, many who experience the supernatural on “Buffy” tend to dismiss it using “real world” logic. This episode introduces a new subculture: one that is aware, not picking a side in the big fight, but using their talents for their own needs. For Ford, it is achieving salvation from dying. For the rest of his cult, they distort the idea of vampires into some grand, romantic creature, dubbing them “the lonely ones” as a way of associating them to their lives as alienated teens.

Ford engulfs himself in fantasy to cope with his cancer. He prefers to see his actions not as reality, but as scenes from a movie or TV show that play out in his head. He has to believe that becoming a demon is better than a slow, painful death. He even has the audacity to make Spike play into his movie (why he didn’t rip Ford’s head off is beyond me). While it is understandable to have some denial about having a major illness like this, Ford goes too far, bringing impressionable outcasts along, including “Chantarelle” (AKA Hot Goth Girl) and “Diego” (who looks like a kid’s birthday party magician). As far as Ford’s concerned, they’re just players in his movie instead of human beings.

In between the planned basement slaughter, Spike has some other plans that fit into one of Giles’ ancient texts. What it is unknown, but likely connected to Drusilla’s well being or some plans they have for when she recovers. She’s the only person who can get him to tone down his aggressive nature and Buffy knows The more important question is why Giles hasn’t looked through his inventory to figure out what the vampire took.

While Ford is a “One-off” character, the reveal that Angel is responsible for Drusilla’s madness and evil adds a new layer to the existing dynamic. We knew there was some history there in “School Hard”, but it goes far deeper than that. Throughout Angel’s tenure, he is constantly looking for a way to make up for his sins, and Spike and Dru are the personification of that. One of his problems atoning is his handiwork living.

A big moment at the end of the episode foreshadows the dark turns this season will take. Until this point, Buffy hasn’t killed anyone to whom she was close. Considering what lies ahead for the rest of the season, this moment doesn’t quite get the emphasis it should. Even by the end of this season, Buffy will go into some dark territory. Unlike Ford, she can’t use a cushion of fantasy to protect herself, which is what this episode warns against.

That final moment says a lot about this episode in general. Elements like that final foreshadowing and the back story between Buffy and Ford never quite gel. Plus, there are moments of sloppy story telling, like Buffy’s magic leap and her unexplained sparing of Drusilla when she could’ve killed her. Not a complete misfire, but could’ve been a lot better.
  • Buffy's old friend, Ford, comes to Sunnydale and wants to become a vampire.

It was only a matter of time before "Buffy" explored the idea of people wanting to become vampires - it's seen in countless other stories. While it's not an original idea by any means, that doesn't make this episode any less enjoyable.

A friend of Buffy's, Ford, comes to Sunnydale from LA. He tells everyone he's transferring to finish his senior year but in reality he's looking to become a vampire by trading Buffy, the Slayer, in return for eternal life. He approaches Spike with the deal and is also going to provide them with a feast - a group of underground people who have romanticized ideas about vampires and want to become like them. Buffy is lured to the meeting place of these vampire wannabes (which is in a bomb shelter) and locked in. She learns that Ford's real motivation for wanting to become a vampire is that he's dying of tumors and has only six months to live. The vampires break in and are about to start killing when Buffy threatens Drusilla's life, which, of course, forces Spike to let everyone go. Buffy locks the vampires in the bomb shelter with Ford, who becomes dinner.

This episode is a good one, but not nearly as good as you would expect - it's written and directed by Joss Whedon, but overall it's fairly average and not even one of the top episodes of the season.

I found the vampire wannabes interesting, while they're obviously stupid I felt sorry for them and could understand that they were just lonely and looking to get more out of life. Hopefully their encounter with Spike and his gang will lead them to do something productive with their lives.

Angel and Willow working together was good to see, and I realized this is something the show needed more of - scenes just between Willow and Angel, they work nicely together. And as always, Xander's hatred of Angel annoys.
  • An old friend from L.A. comes to Sunnydale. Buffy discovers an alterior motive to his actions.

This was the first episode of Buffy that made me cry...in fact, it was the first anything-movie, TV show, song-that wasn't happening to me, that made me cry. The scene toward the end of the show between Ford and Buffy is nothing less than tragic. Although the circumstances surrounding them are supernatural...their motivations are completely human. Anybody who has lost a friend or a family member to disease can relate strongly to this episode. This is the first in a line of episodes that will grab you by the heart and squeeze.
  • Buffy's old pal comes to town

First I have to quote my favorite Drusilla nonsense: Drusilla: My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. "Run and catch, The lamb is caught in the blackberry patch." She had the sweetest voice. What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
    YEESH. Anyway, Buffy is ticked off with Angel because she sees him with Drusilla and he doesnt tell her the truth about it. Enter Ford. He went to school with Buffy at Hemery and is now matriculating at Sunnydale. He knows that she is a slayer, to her surprise, and he is a little too interested in it. We find out he has a group of friends who all want to be turned into vamps. Keep an eye out for Chantarelle (vamp wannabee), we will see her later on down the road. Very good episode, where Buffy learns the truth about Ford (which is sad) and also the truth about Angel and Drusilla (also sad)
  • An old friend comes to Sunnydale

The realisation that people idolise vampires enters the series and neither Buffy, Xander, Willow and especially Angel can understand it.

Buffy's old school friend fomr LA named Ford has a go at being the evil baddy and tries to sacrifice Buffy and the vampire cultists to a unch of vampires. He has nothing to lose because is dying and doesn't care anymore, he would rather be a vampire.

When they manage to save everyone apart from Ford you can see that Buffy is upset but at the same time she accpets that Ford wasn't the same person she was friends with in LA and that although he didn't deserve to be killed by vampires he was going to die anyway.
  • Being dead ain't cool!

I think this episode was very cleverly plotted and put just in the right place. We see so much of Angel and the life he's leading that it was important to talk about the fact that being dead is far from cool.
    Ford and his vampire worshipping friends were really strange, but the reference to actual existing sects was also very important!

I just rewatched some episodes of "Angel", the spin-off, lately and once again I found it very confusing that the actor who's playing Ford in this episode, is also recurring in Angel 's season 5. But it might just be me...

Great eppy!!
  • everyones dream

7.7
    another pretty good season 2 episode. the reason why it is good is because the end. i do not like everything about this episode. ford was a good character and i like jason behr a lot. when he tells buffy that he has cancer and is going to die is when it really becomes good and sad. he stays behind and is eaten by other vampires and left for dead.

very good end but a little boring at first.
  • buffys old boy come to town.

Jason Behr played this character very well, i know if him through Roswell and it was refreshing to see him play a more \'open\' character. When he was describing how tumours were going to \'liquify\' his brain i could almost understand why he was going to try it. Giles and Buffys final conversation is probably one of my favourite quotes in the whole series, a sad, very real moment, where you real see how close the two are and his father figure shines through. A great episode.
  • favorite quote...

So this episode has one of my all-time favorite quotes in it. Whenever life started to suck I would remember this quote and laugh. It just makes you sit back and think…

Buffy: "Does it ever get easy?"
    Giles: "You mean life?"
    Buffy: "Yeah. Does it get easy?"
    Giles: "What do you want me to say?"
    Buffy: "Lie to me."
    Giles: "Yes, it's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody lives happily ever after."
    Buffy: "Liar."
  • Just a great episode from beginning to end

It was way cool to see Buffy talking with an old friend and old crush and having him in Sunnydale. It was so funny with him telling Willow and Xander stupid things about Buffy and Ford meeting Angel I enjoyed that too.

It's not normal that I found there history class interesting because of Cordy going on about Marie Antinette (Can't remember how to spell that) and the phrase linked to her about the French peasants at the time of the French Revolution "Let them eat cat" probably because because we talked about this stuff last year in my history class.

Oh and Willow's realization about that song "I touch myself" was so priceless you gotta love Wills and her innocence.

It was creepy though that Ford wanted to be a vampire and all those weird vamp wannabees gave me the creeps too. Angel's reaction to that guy who was dressed just like him was funny also.

The Angel Buffy side of it was good as well.

All in all superb episode.
  • In Truth: Average.

6.8
    Though a popular episode with most fans, Lie to Me isn't exactly one of my favorites. Though it has an interesting premise behind it, the hour moves along at a slow pace and there are few moments which really grabbed my attention.

The only real interesting aspect to this episode is the use of truth and lies. Willow lies to Buffy about researching Ford behind her back with Angel, Ford lies to Buffy about his motives for being in Sunnydale, Angel lies about his meeting with Drusilla and Spike lies to Ford when he asks for his "reward". In the end, Giles comforts Buffy by telling her lies of how perfect life eventually becomes, proving that, despite its bad reputation, lying can sometimes be better for the soul than finding out the truth. In all the cases of lying in this episode, the lies were less harsh than the truths behind them.

I found Spike and Drusilla an entertaining part of this episode. Juliet Landau is by far the best guest star seen on the show by this point and her twisted performance as crazy Dru steals every scene she's in. I also loved how Spike was willing to abandon hopes for an "all you can eat" human buffet in return for Drusilla's life, showing he really does love her. I think what brought this episode down for me, besides the slow pace, was Jason Behr. I'm not exactly his biggest fan and, even on Roswell, there's something about him that I just don't like. He's a monotone actor and, maybe due to his Roswell role, sticks out like an eyesore on Buffy.

Unusual for a Joss-written episode, Lie to Me definitely had some intriguing ideas but ones that were never really used as well as they could have been during the course of the episode.

Director: Joss Whedon
    Writer: Joss Whedon
    Rating: C
  • Ford, a friend of Buffy's from L.A. comes to Sunnydale...and he knows she's the Slayer. Angel suspects something smelly with him though and asks Willow to investigate his claim that he's just transferred schools.

6.4
    Apparently I'm in the minority here, because I really found this episode boring. There were some great scenes, the funniest of which was Angel/Xander investigating the vampire worshipping cult. Poor pathetic lonely kids.

The last scene with Buffy and Giles were also really nice.

I found Fordham to be utterly lacking in charisma though and it made his scenes difficult to get through. You can understand what may have pushed him to seek being vampirized in order to not suffer death via cancer...but come on...sacrificing a 'friend'...I have no sympathy.

I also loved Xander's reaction to Angel visiting Willow in her bedroom. Her response is a deadpanned, 'Ours is a forbidden love.' HAH-HAH!
  • 'This is Ford, my bestest friend of all my friends. Geeze, doesn't she know any fat guys?'

Excellent episode with a few slow scenes but with a BANG end. We meet an old crush of Buffy that has a very different agenda than Buffy would ever guess.

The goodness about this episodes are the lies, sometimes it’s better not to know the truth.

I didn’t entirely enjoy Ford’s character, specially when he tried to act bad, he just simply failed. He won my respect at the end, learning about his sickness and how desperate he was. I felt very bad for him even though I still thought he was wrong and selfish, hurting others for his own gain. It all came for the best and his death was sad but necessary.

It begins with Drusilla creeping out a little boy, Angel stops her from killing him and tells her to leave or else it will end up badly, it looks like they are kissing from above when Buffy’s watching them. Buffy is jealous and finds out about Drusilla, a vampire who everyone thought to be dead.

In school Buffy tells her buds about Angel and the other girl, then she sees an old crush. Billie Ford, they click immediately and it’s Xander’s time to be jealous again. ‘doesn’t she know any fat guys’?

In the bronze Buffy asks Angel where he was last night but he says he didn’t do anything, she gets a bit mad at him because she know he’s lying and leaves with Ford. When Buffy hears a vampire she tells Ford to run back but he stays and sees everything, for some reason he seems to know that she’s a slayer.

Angel doesn’t trust this guy and goes over to Willow and asks her to look up things about Ford, he says he gets jealous but that he just knows Ford isn’t a good person.

When Buffy goes out with Ford, she leaves him to kill a vampire and he says he did. But soon Buffy discovered he didn’t when the vampire steals a book in the library.

Ford goes to Spike and says that he wants to be turned into a vampire, he will trade it for Buffy’s life.

When Angel goes to Buffy to tell her about Ford and the club he went to with Xander and Willow, a club that was very yay to vampires. Buffy first asks him what he was doing with Drusilla and he tells her everything. Drusilla was one of his pieces he sired and turned crazy, then he tells Buffy that she cannot trust Ford.

In that part place, Buffy arrives but Ford already knew she was going to. She is trapped because once you close the door you can’t go out, Buffy tells him he’s wrong but then he tells her that he is going to die, he has brain tumours and over a few months he will be bald and die. Buffy feels sorry for him but says that it’s still wrong what he’s doing. When Spike and his vamp gang come in Buffy grabs Drusilla and makes the vampire let everyone go or else she will stake Dru. Then she pushes Dru onto Spike and escapes through the door. They are closed in, then Ford wakes up and says that he did what they asked for so he deserves mortality.

When Buffy returns later that night she finds the body and burries it. She asks Giles to lie to her about life, he tells her that the bad guys never win and the good guys never die.
    ‘Liar’
  • Drusilla meets Angel again

‘Lie to Me’ is really a good name to this episode. Almost everybody lies to everybody. Angel is lies about meeting Drusilla to Buffy. Willow lies about helping Angel to research about Buffy’s new old friend Billy Ford. Drusilla even lies to Spike when he asked if she has seen Angel, and so on.
    This Billy Ford character is played by the soon to be aspiring star of the Sci-Fi series of Roswell, Jason Behr.
    Spike and Drusilla, our favourite villains, are at their best in this little excellent episode. Spike has to be crazily in love with her to stay with even though she is such a nut case. She doesn’t even seem to love him back now that that she has seen her Sire, Angel.
  • When Buffy's friend Ford comes to town, the Scoobies discover he is a member of a strange vampire cult. This turns out to be even more sinister as Ford is plotting to trade Buffy to Spike for the chance of becoming a vampire himself. What a great episode.

Buffy's friend Ford arrives in Sunnydale with an ambition of becoming a vampire. Unfortunalty the only way he can make this happen is by trying to exchange the slayer with Spike for his wish to be granted - however, Buffy and the Scoobies have other ideas.

This is a really cleverly written episode that has a fantastic storyline. The episode, as usual with Buffy, has a mixture of comedy, horror, suspence, emotion and of course great action.

I think this is one of the stronger episodes of the second series. The story line is well executed and well acted, and there is also a strong moral to the story if you dare to scratch the surface. In all, another great episode.
  • "Right after the sun goes down, Spike and his friends are gonna be pigging out at the all-you-can-eat moron bar."

When Angel and Drusilla meat in the park, Angel warns Drusilla things will get ugly if Drusilla and Spike won't leave.
    Buffy sees them together and wonders who the woman is.

The day after, a crush of Buffy, Ford surprises Buffy saying he finishes this year on Sunnydale High.
    Buffy: "It was terrible. I moped over you for months, sitting in my room listening to that Divinyls song "I touch myself"... Of course I had no idea what it was about...
    In the Bronze, Ford tells Buffy he knows all her darkest secrets.
    When Ford walks Buffy home, she hears a girl sobbing in an alley and sends Ford back to the Bronze because she 'left her purse'. Ford catches her in the alley staking a vampire though, and admits he already knew she's the vampire slayer.
    Ford: "Weren't you just slaying a vampire?"
    Buffy: "What? Whatting a what?"

We see Ford in an empty building, with wannabe-vampires. They all want the same thing: "Die young, stay pretty".

In the meantime, Angel visits Willow's bedroom; he wants her to check Ford's records.
    That night, Jenny and Giles go on a date [Buffy: "You took him to monster trucks?"], and when they're back, a vampire Ford said he killed earlier that night, steals one of Giles' book.
    Later that night, Ford goes to Spike to offer him a trade; Ford will deliver Spike the Slayer and Spike will make him a vampire.

Angel tells Buffy back in his soulless days, he tortured Drusilla, the girl he was with the other night, and sired her. Buffy is shocked.

The next day, at school, Ford asks Buffy out, and Buffy accepts it, because she's dying to find out what Ford is up to.

When Buffy meets Ford, it becomes quite fast clear to her that Ford made a deal with a vampire.
    The door closes behind them and Ford tells Buffy: "This is the end, Buffy. No one's coming out here alive."

Buffy: Well, I've got a news flash for you, braintrust: that's not how
    it works. You die, and a demon sets up shop in your old house, and it
    walks, and it talks, and it remembers your life, but it's not you.

Ford: It's better than nothing.

Buffy: And your life is nothing?

Ford snickers.

Buffy: Ford, these people don't deserve to die!

Ford: Well, neither do I! But apparently no one took that into
    consideration, 'cause I'm still dying.

Buffy begins to realize what he's up to now.

Ford: I look good, don't I? Well, let me tell you something: (angry)
    I've got maybe six months left, and by then what they bury won't even
    *look* like me. It'll be bald and shriveled and it'll smell bad. No, I'm
    not going out that way.

Buffy turns away.

Ford: I'm sorry, Summers. Did I screw up your righteous anger riff?
    Does the nest of tumors liquefying my brain kinda spoil the fun?

Buffy: (faces him) I'm sorry. I had no idea. But what you're doing is
    still very wrong.

Ford: Okay, well, you try vomiting for twenty-four hours straight
    because the pain in your head is so intense, and *then* we'll discuss
    the concept of right and wrong. (points down) These people are sheep.
    They wanna be vampires 'cause they're lonely, miserable or bored. I
    don't have a choice.

Buffy: You have a choice. You don't have a good choice, but you have a
    choice! You're opting for mass murder here, and nothing you say is gonna
    make that okay!

Ford: You think I need to justify myself to you?

Buffy: I think this is all part of your little fantasy drama! Isn't
    this exactly how you imagined it? You tell me how you've suffered and I
    feel sorry for you. Well, I do feel sorry for you, and if those vampires
    come in here and start feeding, I'll kill you myself!

Ford: You know what, Summers? I really did miss you.

Ford becomes a vampire and Buffy escapes.

Buffy and Giles are at the cemtery at night

Buffy: Nothing's ever simple anymore. I'm constantly trying to work it
    out. Who to love or hate. Who to trust. It's just, like, the more I
    know, the more confused I get.

Giles: I believe that's called growing up.

Buffy: I'd like to stop then, okay?

Giles: I know the feeling.

Buffy: Does it ever get easy?

Ford suddenly rises from his grave, a vampire just like he wanted, and
    attacks Buffy. She plunges a stake into his heart with no more effort
    than swatting a fly. He steps back and looks at the stake protruding
    from his chest. He looks back up and bursts into ashes.

Giles: You mean life?

Buffy: Yeah. Does it get easy?

Giles: What do you want me to say?

Buffy: (looks up at him) Lie to me.

Giles: (considers a moment) Yes, it's terribly simple.

They start walking out of the cemetery.

Giles: The good guys are always stalwart and true, the bad guys are
    easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we
    always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies, and everybody
    lives happily ever after.

Buffy: Liar.

END OF EPISODE

To me, "Lie to Me" is one of the best earlier episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
  • Die young, stay pretty

Well you’d’ve thought Sunnydale moms wouldn’t leave their kids hanging around playgrounds at night - especially when there are vicious vamps like Drusilla about. Buffy comes face to face (almost) with another of Angel’s ex-lovers, an important one - in this episode at least. The theme of the story is lying vs honesty, but to me it’s more about innocence vs experience. The child at the beginning is youthful and trusting in marked comparison to Dru’s dark malevolence. But once, *she* was “pure, sweet, chaste” – just as Buffy is now. Their similar white clothes prove their chastity, but once again you feel as if Buffy is a sacrificial, rather than just a, you know, regular, virgin. Like Drusilla, she will be a victim of Angel’s lusts and violence. Like Angel’s 19th century stalking of Dru, Angel will “visit [on Buffy] every mental torture”. Those guys, they go for the same girl over and over. We get another taste of foreshadowing when Angel tells Dru “if you don’t leave, it’ll go badly for all of us”. It couldn’t really go much worse for any of them, except Spike perhaps.

So, everyone lies. Angel tells Buffy he stayed in catching up on some reading (Vamp Monthly?) whereas she knows and we know perfectly well he was out threatening Drusilla. Ford keeps from Buffy his illness, his intentions and his non-staking of a vampire. Willow fibs pathetically to Buffy about Angel’s visit. Even the kids at the vampire club are lying – to themselves about the true nature of demons. I suppose there was just bound to be a vamp appreciation society in Sunnydale. Marvin/Diego and Chanterelle/Lily/Anne are just as innocent as the almost-killed child, despite their affectations of affection for “The Lonely Ones” (or the “Nasty, pointy, bitey ones” as Xander corrects them). They are naïve, gullible and thus, ultimately saved by Buffy. Innocents usually are (in Seasons 1-3 at least). They also provide a great comedy moment when a vamp-abee wearing the same clothes as Angel saunters past, just as Angel is decrying the club and their lack of knowledge about the creatures of the night.

Jealousy is another strong theme running through the episode. Buffy’s inexperience makes her insecure about other women, especially those more coiffed and stylish than her. Angel is jealous of the fellow from Roswell in the charming orange tanktop. Just as Angel’s past, in the form of Dru, has caught up with him, so has Buffy’s. Ford was her innocent crush back in 5th grade, the boy she cried over whilst listening songs about masturbation. Of course her innocent pre-teen self didn’t understand the subject matter. Willow’ has only just got it. Her fluffy slippers and her “I’m not supposed to have boys in my room” contrasts with Angel’s gloomy tortured brooding. Spike is jealous of Angel and Dru, Xander is also jealous of Ford (and Angel) and is sarky and snarky around him. As usual, Xander is right to be suspicious; Ford’s only interest in Buffy is to hand her over to Spike in order to be granted eternal life. Unfortunately for him, Spike has no interest in changing a dull boy living in dreamland into a creature of darkness. Ford is a proto-Andrew, interested in stories and living his own fantasy-drama. He also has leukaemia, which in his mind is a justification for his actions. He doesn’t want his corpse to be hairless and shrivelled. In the Buffyverse however, this is no excuse. People sacrifice themselves for their friends – not the other way around, and it’s no surprise he ends up dead. Ironically, he gets his wish – his dead body is pretty.

When you’re young and inexperienced you trust everything and everyone. As you get older, you have to learn to discriminate between lies and truth and the inbetween areas. As Ford discovered, life isn’t a fairytale. Baddies can be well rounded and fall in love (Spike may have been watching Buffy’s fighting technique, but Buffy too can play dirty and rely on Spike’s feelings for Dru to win the battle (and (bonus!) get to threaten her boyfriend’s ex-girl). Friends can betray you, you can love someone but not trust them, your natural enemy can become your ally, lovers can become foes and sometimes lies are necessary. There are a lot of grey areas and this tale with Ford is one of them.

Giles’s final speech is meant to comfort the child in Buffy, but also to show her that she, unlike Ford, she will have to grow up.
    “It’s terribly simple – the good guys are always stalwart and true…everybody lives happily ever after”
    Buffy: “Liar!”

Meanwhile, I’m torn between the following for best line of the episode.
    Is it Xander proving to Willow why he would never fall for her: “You have too many thoughts”
    Or is it Spike’s self-definition? “I don’t care much for tradition”.

Oh yeah and – monster trucks!?
< 1 2