Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Lies My Parents Told Me

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 25, 2003 on The WB

• Uhh... yes, please?

"Lies My Parents Told Me" is a complex and rousing episode that gets at the very nature these characters, analyzes them, and then evolves them. Buffy, Giles, Wood, and Spike are all never the same after what transpires here. Although this is a huge episode for Spike as he completely regains full control over himself and his destiny, it's an even bigger episode for Buffy as we see her step completely out of the shadow of her youth to take on full leadership of her army. Buffy is one hell of a complex individual -- one that we completely understand in regard to just about every aspect that makes her who she is. In terms of pure character growth, I think this is the capper to Buffy's journey. We'll see her faith in Spike pay off big in the final arc of the series.
  • Oedipus calling

The Good;

All the flashback sequences are wonderful. Great to see the real Dru on the show again, love her expression when Spike talks of bringing his mum with them. Possibly the worst introduction of any new girlfriend to a prospective mother-in-law in the history of the world? The powerful scenes between Wood and Giles and the face off between Spike and Wood are awesome.

The Bad;

Spike just deciding to leave Nikki alone for a while after finding her beggars belief, couldn't they have had a police car pull up or something? Or was Spike worried about messing up his hair? No real comparison between Joyce and Nikki, Joyce died of natural causes, although heartbreaking for Buffy and Dawn there was no one to blame, it was just her time. Unsouled Spike hunted down and murdered Nikki for fun!

Best line;

Buffy (to Giles); "I think you've taught me everthing I need to know" Ooooohhhhhh!

Women good/men bad;

At the end of the ep Buffy shares a moment of intimacy with Dawn in bed then closes the door on Giles. The implication is that she chooses her literal and metaphorical sister(s) over her father figure?

Jeez!;

Spike's mum remarks that he wants to 'get inside her' again, yeeeesshhh! Her rejection of him is heartrending. The mindworm is also nasty, reminiscent of Star Trek 2. Spike's goading of Wood over his mother choosing slaying over him is nasty and very possibly not true as we learn in 'Damage'. Nikki sacrifices herself to save Robin and millions like him just as Buffy does in The Gift with Dawn, she loved him but she just couldn't be with him. Nikki just didn't bump into Spike on patrol, he hunted her down off-duty, she tells Robin he can't go home because she fears Spike will find them there. She never volunteered to be the Slayer and she couldn't quit. She dies trying to save him. Wood's knuckledusters are pretty vicious but you'd think useful in a fight.

Kinky dinky;

Spike tells Nikki he's going to 'ride her hard'. She responds that he's 'wet and limp'. Xander bemoans the fact that Spike's chains weren't there last week when he and Anya had their breakup sex. Dru refers to Spike as 'sweet Willy' whilst he describes her as saucy.

Captain Subtext;

Needless to say a lot of people speculate on an incestuous attraction between Spike and his mum. I don't buy that, I think William is just a devoted son to his loving mother, even soulless Spike is horrified when she makes her incestuous suggestion. I'm quite prepared to accept Connor having sex with Cordy, that Ares is Xena's dad, that Beatrice in Kill Bill might actually be his daughter, even that Dawn and Buffy may have found solace with one another at the end of 'Forever' but not this. One reason Spike's mum might be so mean to him once sired is that she's jealous of Drusilla whom she refers to as 'That trollop'. Note Dru calls herself Spike's 'Other mummy'. Check out her little look as Spike stakes her, almost of relief/affection? Could she have been goading Spike into killing her?

Speaking of Oedipal implications as we suspected Wood tells Buffy that she reminds him of his mother. Interestingly whilst most girls would consider that a turn off, she seems to rather like the idea. According to the commentary Spike's mum is called 'Anne' which of course is Buffy's middle name. And upon seeing Spike's relationship with his own mother I think we all understand his apparently genuine affection for Joyce a lot better.

Andrew takes the call from Fred whom he thinks sounds 'effeminate'. Buffy substitutes 'prophylactic' for 'prokaryote' in regard to Spike which is a Freudian slip if ever there was one.

Guantanamo Bay;

Giles acts as a calculating general and wishes to kill Spike out of logic. Wood by contrast know's it's wrong but acts because his love for his mother is more powerful than all reason. Giles has actually started acting like Travers and the rest of the Watcher's Council but then so did Buffy in Potential, giving her girls their own Cruciantenam.

Missing scenes;

12 minutes of extra footage according to the commentary? We must have entire movies of deleted scenes available for special edition DVD releases! One scene I think we'd all like to see is Giles confess to Buffy about killing Ben.

Apocalypses; 7,

Scoobies in bondage: Spike in chains

Buffy: 9

Wes: 1

Xander; 3

Dawn; 4

Spike; 4

Scoobies knocked out: Poor Dawn although nothing is broken (at least Willow hopes so)

Buffy: 21

Anya;7

Dawn; 6

Spike; 2

Kennedy; 1

Kills: 2 vamps for Spike (excluding his mum) and 2 for Buffy if we assume she finished off the vamp in the alley at the start

Buffy: 125 vamps, 62 demons, 6 monsters, 10 humans, 1 spirit warrior & a robot

Giles: 8 vamps, 2 demons, 2 humans/1 god.

Will: 6 vamps + 3 demons +1 fawn+1 human.

Oz: 3 vamps, 1 zombie, 1 werewolf,

Dawn;1

Spike; 1

Anya; 2

Recurring characters killed: 15,

Jesse, Flutie, Jenny, Kendra, Larry, Snyder, Professor Walsh, Forrest, McNamara, Joyce, Katrina, Tara, Quentin Travers, Chloe, Jonathon.

Sunnydale deaths;

Total number of scoobies: 30 or so

Xander, Buffy, Dawn, Willow, Anya, Spike, Giles, Kennedy, Molly, Vi, Rhona, Amanda, Chao-Anh, Wood, Andrew plus an indeterminate number of potentials, at least a dozen or more.

Xander demon magnet: 6(7?)

Preying Mantis Lady, Inca Mummy Girl, Drusilla, VampWillow, Anya, Lissa (arguably Buffy & Faith with their demon essences?), Dracula?

Scoobies shot:

Giles: 2

Angel: 3

Oz: 4

Riley; 1

Buffy; 1

Notches on Scooby bedpost:

Giles: 2; Joyce & Olivia, possibly Jenny and 3xDraccy babes?

Buffy: 4 confirmed; Angel, Parker, Riley, Spike. 3 possible, Dracula+RJ+Shadowmen's demon(?)

Joyce: 1;Giles, 2 possible, Ted and Dracula(?)

Oz: 3; Groupie, Willow & Verucca

Anya; 2 Spike and Xander

Dawn in peril; 14

Dawn the bashful virgin; 9

Questions and observations;

Buffy says she is now willing to sacrifice Dawn to save the world. Because she's older or because Buffy knows there's a heaven? Probably the latter as it's only after Giles remarks about what she's been through (death/afterlife) that she says it. She regards death as the reward for being human, the big dessert at the end of the meal. Or because Dawn is no longer her sole focus? She comments here that Dawn is 'tough'. Spike retains some of his humanity as a vampire (as the Judge senses in Becoming pt1), perhaps because of Dru's link to the PTB? When his mum is sick Spike suggests fetching Dr Gull which was also the name of Queen Victoria's physician and a popular suspect for Jack the Ripper but we've no proof it's the same guy. Willow recieves her phonecall from Fred in the Angel ep 'Orpheus'. Buffy still feels bad about how she treated her family and friends in 'Get it done', her punishment at the hands of the Shadowmen has actually benefitted her by bringing her to her senses in that regard, she's not so hardass any more. We really do have bad boy Spike back here, from now on he's the guy we know from seasons 2-4 but playing for the good guys. But deep down we know he'll always be William the Bloody (awful poet). He knew Buffy was in the light and he was always in the darkness. If he pulled her into the darkness he wouldn't love her anymore so he pulls himself into the light instead (with thanks to White Avenger from Buffyboards)

Nikki speaks of Robin liking playing with the 'Spooky doodas' at her Watcher's house. Does she mean the Shadow puppets we see in 'Get it Done'?

It speaks of Buffy's prowess as a Slayer that she can toy so effortlessly with the vamp whilst Giles talks to her. Does Spike mean what he says about not caring for Nikki or is this just revenge for his beating? Note both Spike and Angel(us) killed their mothers. Also although we don't see her use it Spike's mum has a wheelchair, no wonder he so hated being stuck in one for most of season 2.

So who's right? You've got to understand Wood's point, imagine if Spike had killed Joyce and went around wearing her coat as a trophy? Would anything on earth stop Buffy staking him? Or would he wake up on fire as Dawn promised? Again Wood is very similar to Holtz on Angel or Callisto on Xena. Note that Wood realises that souled Spike ISN'T the man who killed Nikki, he has to play 'Early one morning' to bring him out. Rare to have 2 eps with such a similar theme (Andrew and Spike's flashback filled redemption) in a row but it works fine.

Marks out of 10; 10/10 brilliant!

• "He has a trigger, a soul and a chip?" - Wood "You wanna bring your mum wiv us?" - Dru

On Buffy's 18th birthday, just as Hank let her down and failed to take her to Icecapades, her father figure, Giles, also betrayed her by injecting her with muscle relaxants and hypnotising her at the bequest of the council. That was Buffy's introduction to adulthood. Now at 22, we see her wash her hands of parental interference and we also see that the other characters need to do the same.

Spike is back in black and, for one last time only, we are once again treated to William The Bloody (awful poet). Previously, in Fool for Love, we saw the three women: Cecily, Drusilla and Buffy, who made Spike into the vamp he is today. Now we see the origin of his strange love/hate relationship with women, his mother. Spike was excessively fond of his old mum (and liked to battle with his (grand)sire Angel) yet he ended up killing her. Spike's murderous love for Buffy suddenly makes a lot more sense; indeed his mother's Christian name, Anne, is Buffy's middle name. However, the Oedipal theme is expanded by including Dru who claims she gave birth to the new VampSpike. Spike sees it more of a sexual awakening: "Something has happened....She has made me what I am". He tells his mother, when he wants to turn her, that "it only hurts for a moment". He intends to save his mother from a consumptive life and death but she sees it somewhat differently: "All you ever wanted was to be back inside. You finally got your wish, didn't you? Sank your teeth into me. An eternal kiss." Unlike some mothers who want to keep their sons with them forever, vamp-mum seems glad to be rid of William and certainly doesn't want to spend the rest of her vamp-life with him. Unlike Angel who killed all of his family, Spike still feels love for his mother and he has to kill her twice, first as a human, then as a demon. Cecily was the first woman to hurt him, Dru the third and in between there was this woman. Dru may have taken his virginity but VampAnne took his childhood with her cruel, loveless words. Both mothers in the story, Anne and Nikki, tell Spike that he's limp, which sounds like a sexual insult. Spike spars suggestively with Nikki as they fight ("Got the moves, don't you? I'm gonna ride you hard before I put you away, love"), and little Robin sees everything hidden behind the bench. One could infer that Wood wants to kill the father figure, the sexual aggressor of his mother. Buffy also appears to be Oedipally attracted to Principal Wood, eight years older than she, the ultimate patriarch in form of the School Principal (and her boss), but by the end of the ep, she makes sure he knows who is in charge, indeed, he has already said that she reminds him of his mother and in this ep, she echoes Nikki's catchphrase). Unlike her last parent substitute (Professor Walsh), Giles gets along with Wood although Rupert shows how hopelessly out of touch he is by complaining about the computers in the new school library. As we see later, when Wood downloads and plays an mp3 of the folk/trigger song, an iMac can can be as deadly as a stake for a weapon.

Wood believes he is carrying on the mission: by killing Spike he will have avenged his mother whereas in reality it is more likely she would have come to the same conclusions as Buffy. He sees himself as a fair man: "Just trying to do what's right..make a difference" and he uses the trigger to make Spike vamp out, so he will be fighting the superstrength Spike, not the one in human form. He sees Spike as less than human: "An animal like you..." and doesn't understand that by triggering him, he is taking away his free will. Once Spike is free of the trigger, he is able to make choices and he chooses to let Wood live. Wood is unable to see the grey areas, he is too focussed in his view of the world as black and white. By the end of the fight, he admits that he was looking for vengeance rather than following the mission: "She was all I had, she was my world". Instead of killing him, Spike delivers a killer blow: "And you weren't hers". Buffy talks to Wood about her mother and we see that like Anne, Joyce (apart from that blip at the end of S2) gave unconditional, forgiving love to the two people, Buffy and Dawn, who were her world. Spike was very fond of Joyce and Buffy is becoming like her, like Anne. Unlike Nikki, she may never reproduce but her new adulthood means a kind of motherhood, she has a whole host of young women to look after.

Giles talks to Buffy about making hard decisions, about acting as a General in a war. He claims Buffy's feelings for Spike have clouded her judgement about his danger to them, but his negative feelings make him misjudge the situation. Spike is an important ally and his past deeds - the killing both pre and post soul, the attempted rape - no longer matter to Buffy, "You're looking for revenge on a man that doesn't exist anymore", she tells Wood. Spike's present self – and the mission – is what matters: fighting the FE. Giles understands the mission; his murder of Ben was to stop Glory coming back and creating an apocalypse. He tries to father Buffy by taking the decision about Spike away from her. He is trying to protect her by sheltering her from the decision. But Buffy know this already. She knows there's more to being a General than making inspirational (and tedious) speeches – she tells Wood that she will let Spike kill him if he tries "anything again" and she turns her back on Giles when he tells her what she "need[s] to learn" with the devastating riposte: "I think you've taught me everything I need to know." She rejected the Watchers' Council the last time Giles betrayed her in Helpless, and she rejected the proto-watchers in Get It Done. She is now her own woman, she is La Generalissima, the matriarch. The macguffin prorokaryote stone is more like a psychiatrist for Spike. He replaced his mum with Cecily, Cecily with Dru and then Dru with Buffy (and briefly Buffy with Anya) but coming to terms with his mother's two deaths ("it was the demon talking; not her") breaks the spell and then the First's hold. Not only is Spike free of the First's trigger and his mother issues, he is no longer love's (and Buffy's) b*tch – the two can move forward as strong allies. Moreover, Buffy saves Wood from doing the FE's work and she has saved Spike with kindness and her belief in him. Buffy was right when she refused to become part-demon to battle the FE. She is fighting using the forces of good.
  • Lies My Parents Told Me

Lies My Parents Told Me was a perfect and entertaining episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode showed a lot of character growth both for Spike and Robin Wood. I liked the flashbacks Spike had of his mother. Robin's own mother was beautiful and a great Slayer. Her inspiring words, "Always work the Mission" have stuck with Wood his whole life. This episode touched upon human nature and how much parents can influence their children. Buffy had some growth as her own, as she closes the door on Giles after learning he stalled her so Robin could kill Spike. This was an exciting episode and I look forward to the next episode!!!!!!!
  • A Spike episode.

I really liked this episode, this one is probably my favourite episode this season. I think it was written really well. We learn more about Spikes relationship with his mother and how Robin Wood wants to kill Spike because Spike killed his mother Nikki many years again.

Giles also turns on Spike in this episode something which was a real shock. Anyway by the end of the episode Spike is able to stop his trigger and Wood lets him live. At the end of the episode where Giles talks to Buffy and says 'you still need to learn this' she relplys 'i think you've taught me all i need to know' and she closes the door on him.

Loved this episode and the music very catchy. Anyway if you are a fan of Spike this episode is for you.
  • Not really into Wood but Spike is my favorite character and I have like all the ones where we see his past so I particullarly liked this episode quite a bit.

Ok this has to be the best episode in season 7, I hate how they are all together but this one is mainly about spike, my favorite character. We get to see why he goes so crazy when someone talks about his mom or Drusilla. He kickes Woods butt which is nice to see because I really dont like him. If I wrote it I would of had Spike kill him but I know they are going for his human side so that wouldnt really fit. Amazing episode though possibly my favorite of the show. Amazing fight scenes.
  • One more chapter in the life of William the Bloody

Finally an episode that is full of greatness again after the season kind of dragged on and focused on too many annoying and often boring characters, the potentials.
    It is a relief that the attention is returned to favorite characters, as Spike is once again in the spotlight.
    We learn more about his past, and very important, why exactly this little song triggered his violent reactions. Spike was a Mama'boy! Drusilla makes one last appearance in the Buffyverse. That is always a pleasure in my book.
    Back in presentday Sunnydale Principal Woods finally wants to take revenge on Spike for killing his mother and he almost succeeds, with a little help from Giles.
    This is a well-written and great episode. Plus Spike finally gets to really kick some butt again, even better - it is Principal Woods' butt!
  • Wood steps in. Finally.

We've been waiting for this episode for a long time. Principal Wood finally told the truth about Spike, but his personal vendetta obviously didn't work. We found out yet another detail about Spike's life. And we got to see Drusilla again. It's always nice to see those flashbacks and learn more about the characters.

I understand why Giles did what he did, but I don't think he should have hidden this from Buffy. He has a good daughter-father relationship with her, and stuff like this always ruin stuff. If there's something they all should have learned, it would be that they always have to stick together. I'd like it more if Giles would have been manipulated by The First. At least than we'd know he didn't do it on purpose.

Anyway, this was quite an entertaining episode. It's amazing how some characters got so much screen time, and some regulars had only two words on the show. It's a crowd and I hope they'll cut it short soon.
  • Spike's untriggered and Buffy teaches Wood a valuable lesson

I understand that Robin was thirsty for revenge after not knowing for so many years who killed his mother. But he was really stupid picking this time to make an attempt to kill Spike - and why on earth did Giles help him? He should know better. I don't think Buffy is clouded by her potential feelings for him. It's rather just like she said to Robin in the end: Spike is the strongest fighter besides her and they need him. And yes, she depends on him, too. And still doesn't know why she needs him there so much. But it's okay now. Spike doesn't have his trigger anymore (nice story with his mum btw) and they can go back to their war. There's no time for revenge.
  • Spike's trigger.

6.9
    So, as it turns out Spike's trigger...the song that somehow kept coming up whenever he would go all psycho is actually a song his mother used to sing to him long ago when he was alive. While trying to come to grips with these memories which he has long harbored he also finds out the truth behind Robin's odd interest in him. Turns out Spike killed his mother, back when he wasn't all soul having, and Robin seems to wanna take some vengeance on that. Fortunately, Spike isn't that monster anymore and cuts him what you could call a break. Giles involment in the conspiracy to take out Spike really creates a rift in her relationship with Giles.
  • Excellent insight into Spike's abandonment issues and his extreme need to be loved.

I love any episode with flashbacks of the Fanged Fours' past. Ya can't know 'em now if ya don't know where they came from. Even though you have to admire Robin for going after his mothers' killer, Spike had it right when he pretty much told him to put on his big boy pants and get over it. Everyone has their issues and Spike loved his mum as much as Robin loved his. Once again, Spike proved his growing humanity and maturity by leaving Robin alive. The real heartbreaker of this episode is seeing the relationship between Giles and Buffy start to crumble. I mean, man, he was her Yoda! Even though he felt he was doing the right thing, Buff should have opened a can of whoop a** on him for trying to trick her.
  • A very interesting Spike episode where Robin tries to kill him but instead he detriggers him.

Lies My Parents Told Me

Another great episode, see. season 7 is really underrated. Robin tries to kill Spike but instead he detriggers him. I understand Robin’s anger. And the flashbacks were amazing.

Cut to a fight between Nikki and Spike and little Robin is watching it. Spike almost kills Nikki but Robin distracts them and Spike escapes. She tells him that he can't stay with her and that she loves him but she has a job and the mission is what matters. Cut to Robin, Buffy and Spike fighting vampires and Spike saves Robin and tills him up and Robin wants to kill Spike but he is waiting for his moment.

the credits start

Cut to Robin and Buffy and he is proud of what she has done and that Buffy reminds him us his mother and she is glad with his compliment. Giles comes in and he is mad about the library and that it doesn't have books. Giles says that he is concerned about Spike's ship and Robin is confused about the stories. Buffy tells Giles that it was only a song but she can't remind it. Cut to Xander chaining Spike and Robin is there and Giles is going to put something in Spike to see what he has. Willow does a spell and she makes a thing solid and then it goes on Spike and it goes in his eye. Then he sees a memory where he is reading a poem to his mom. His mom is a little sick and he wants to look after her and she bleeds when she couches. Then she sings a song and it makes him go crazy again and he vamps and the thing comes out.

Cut to Spike in the basement and he says that his mom used to sing it to him since he was young. Cut to the house above and they talk about Spike. Andrew takes the phone and tells Willow that Fred called and he sound feminine. Cut to Spike seeing Drusilla and they dance in the house. Spike tells Drusilla that he wants to bring his mom but Dru doesn't like it. Then Spike sees his mom and she says she was very worried. He says that Drusilla has changed him into a vampire and the mom asks if he is drunk and he wants to make her one too. Then he vamps and bites her. Cut to the basement and Willow goes to Buffy and she has to leave cause she is going to LA. Then Buffy unchains Spike and go upstairs but Robin wants to talk to Giles and say that Spike is a danger to them. Robin tells Giles that he was brought up by a watcher and then Giles realised that Robin is Nikki wood's son and that Spike killed his mother. Robin says that he knows Giles is right and he has to kill Spike.

Cut to Giles and Buffy in the cemetery and Robin is watching Spike. Buffy says that she knows how to make big decisions and Giles says that they are there to see if she is right. Spike and Robin come home and they see all crosses everywhere. Spike asks what is his story and Robin says that he doesn't have a story and Spike doesn't want to tell him anything. Robin says he has been searching for Spike for a long time. Robin puts on the song of his mother and then Spike vamps. Cut to Spike and his mom is glowing and he is very happy. His mother changes and she wants to leave him. She tells him that Spike was a parasite and should have killed him when he was born. Cut to Robin fighting Spike and he is defeating him easily. Cut to the cemetery and Buffy is fighting the vamp and Buffy says she would let Dawn die this time. Then Giles talks about Spike.

Cut to Robin going to finish it. Spike's mom makes Spike crazy and she says that he was inlove with her. Then she grabs a stick and he kills her. Cut to Spike and Robin again and Spike defends himself and now begins to fight Robin. Spike says that Robin's mom didn't love him as much. and that the slayers fight alone and that his mom was the same. Spike tells Robin about his mom and that he turned his mom into a vampire but that his real mom did love him. Then he pus the music but the song doesn't make him crazy anymore and that means he is detriggered now and has is own free will. Then Spike vamps and bites Robin. Cut to the cemetery and Buffy realised that Giles is stalling her and she kills them vamp and she runs. Buffy arrives at the place and finds Spike and she sees Robin and that he gave Robin a pass but that's all he gets. Buffy goes to Robin and tells about her mom. Buffy tells Robin that next time Spike tries to kill him she will let him. She has to win the war and the mission is what matters. Cut to Buffy in her home and Giles goes to her and he understands her anger and Buffy says that Spike is still alive and that Giles taught her everything she needs to know and closes the door.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Spike: Well, all right. Got the moves, don't you? I'm gonna ride you hard before I put you away, luv.
    Nikki: You sure about that? You actually look a little wet and limp to me. And I ain't your "luv."
    Spike: I spent a long time trying to track you down. Don't want the dance to end so soon, do you, Nikki? The music's just starting, isn't it? By the way...love the coat.
    Robin: Mamma!
    Nikki: You did a good job, baby boy. You stayed down just like mamma told you.
    Robin: Can we go home now?
    Nikki: Uh-uh. It's not safe there anymore. How 'bout I leave you over at Crowley's house, and you can play with those spooky doodads that you like.
    Robin: No, I wanna stay with you.
    Nikki: Yeah, I know you do, baby. But remember, Robin, honey what we talked about. Always got to work the mission. Look at me. You know I love you, but I got a job to do. The mission is what matters...right? That's my boy. Come on.

William: Yet her smell, it doth linger, painting pictures in my mind. Her eyes, balls of honey. Angel's harps her laugh. Oh, lark. Grant a sign if crook'd be Cupid's shaft. Hark, the lark, her name it hath spake. "Cecily" it discharges from twixt its wee beak.
    Mother: Oh, William....
    William: It's just...scribbling.
    Mother: Nonsense. It's magnificent. I wonder, though. This Cecily of whom you write so often...
    William: Oh.
    Mother: Would that be the Underwood's eldest girl?
    William: Uh, no, uh, no. I do not presume.
    Mother: She's lovely. You shouldn't be alone. You need a woman in your life.
    William: I have a woman in my life.
    Mother: But you ne- Oh...
    William: Well, do not mistake me. I still have hopes that one day there will be an addition to this household, but I will always look after you, mother. This, I promise. Should I send the coach for Doctor Gull?
    Mother: I'll be all right. It's passed. Just sit with me a while, will you?
    William: Of course.
    Mother: Early one morning, just as the sun was shining, I heard a maid sing in the valley below.
    "Oh, don't deceive me. Oh, never leave me. How could you use a poor maiden so?"

Drusilla: Ooh, such a pretty house you have, sweet William. It smells of daffodils...and viscera.
    William: Don't get too attached, now. Won't be here for long, luv.
    Drusilla: Well then... should we give it a proper goodbye?
    William: You're a saucy one, aren't you? Dru...we'll bring this world to its knees.
    Drusilla: It's ripe and ready, my darling, waiting for us to devour its fruit.
    William: We'll ravage this city together, my pet. Lay waste to all of Europe. The three of us will teach those snobs and elitists with their falderal just what-
    Drusilla: Three?
    William: You, me, and mother. We'll open up their veins and bathe in their blood as they scream our names across- What?
    Drusilla: You...you want to bring your mum with us?
    William: Well, yeah. You'll like her.
    Drusilla: To eat, you mean?
    Mother: William?
    William: Uh, mother.
    Mother: Where have you been? I've been beside myself for days.
    William: You needn't have worried, mother. You'll never have to worry about anything again. Something has happened. I've changed.
    Mother: I-I don't- Who's this woman?
    Drusilla: I'm the other that gave birth to your son.
    Mother: I beg your pardon?
    William: It's true, mother. Drusilla- she...she has made me what I am. I am no longer bound to this mortal coil. I have become a creature of the night. A vampire.
    Mother: Are you drunk?
    William: A little bit. Think of it. No more sickness. No more dying. You'll never age another day. Let me do this for you.
    Mother: What are you talking about, a-and why are you acting so strangely?
    William: It's all right, mother. It's only me. We'll be together forever.
    Mother: William...
    William: It only hurts for a moment.

Spike: What the bloody hell is this?
    Robin: Well, I told you. It's my, um, sanctuary. It's the hell mouth, Spike. You can never be too careful. Just, um, stay away from the walls, and you'll be all right.
    Spike: It's a bit much, isn't it? What's your story, Wood?
    Robin: No story, really. Just trying to do what's right. Make a difference. How 'bout you? What kind of man are you, Spike?
    Spike: Sorry. Not much for self reflection.
    Robin: Yeah, makes sense. See, you strike me as the kind of guy who just careens through life, completely oblivious to the damage he's doing to everyone around him.
    Spike: That right?
    Robin: Oh, I know more about you than you think, Spike. See, I've been searching for you for a very, very long time. Ever since you killed my mother.
    Spike: I've killed a lot of people's mothers.
    Robin: Yeah. You'd remember mine. She was a slayer.
    Spike: So, that's it, innit? Brought me here to kill me?
    Robin: No, I don't wanna kill you, Spike. I wanna kill the monster who took my mother away from me.

William: Mother?
    Mother: Hello, William.
    William: Look at you.
    Mother: Mm, yes. All better.
    William: You're glowing.
    Mother: Am I? Well, I suppose I have you to thank for that, don't I? How ever will I repay you?
    William: Seeing you like this is payment enough.
    Mother: Oh, William, you're so... tender.
    William: Well, this is as it should be, mother. You and I together. All of London laid out before us.
    Mother: Ah, yes. Us.
    William: First, we'll feast. Then the night is yours. Theater, perhaps. Dancing? Tell me, what's your pleasure?
    Mother: Pleasure? To take my leave of you, of course. "The lark hath spake from twixt its wee beak?" You honestly thought I could bear an eternity listening to that twaddle?

Mother: I feel extraordinary. It's as though I've been given new eyes. I see everything. Understand... everything.
    William: Mother...
    Mother: I hate to be cruel- No, I don't. I used to hate to be cruel in life. Now, I find it rather freeing. Nothing less will pry your greedy little fingers off my apron strings, will it?
    William: Stop. Please.
    Mother: Ever since the day you first slithered from me like a parasite.
    William: What're you s-
    Mother: Had I known better, I could have spared myself a lifetime of tedium and just- Dashed your brains out when I first saw you. God, I prayed you'd find a woman to release me, but you scarcely showed an interest. Who could compare to your doddering housebound mum? A captive audience for your witless prattle.
    William: Whatever I was, that's not who I am anymore.
    Mother: Darling, it's who you'll always be. A limp... sentimental fool.

Mother: You want to run, don't you? Scamper off and cry to your new little trollop. Do you think you'll be able to love her? Think you'll be able to touch her without feeling me? All you ever wanted was to be back inside. You finally got your wish, didn't you? Sank your teeth into me. An eternal kiss.
    William: No. I only wanted to make you well.
    Mother: You wanted your hands on me. Perhaps you'd like a chance to finish off what you started.
    William: I love you. I did. Not like this.
    Mother: Just like this. This is what you always wanted. Who's my dark little prince?
    William: No!
    Mother: Get out. Get out! There, there, precious. It will only hurt for a moment.
    William: I'm sorry.

Robin: Sorry? You think sorry's gonna make everything right?
    Spike: I wasn't talking to you. I don't give a piss about your mum. She was a slayer. I was a vampire. That's the way the game is played.
    Robin: Game?
    Spike: She knew what she was signing up for.
    Robin: Well, I didn't sign up for it.
    Spike: Well, that's the rub, innit? You didn't sign up for it
    Robin: You took my childhood. You took her away. She was all I had. She was my world.
    Spike: And you weren't hers. Doesn't that piss you off?
    Robin: Shut up. You didn't know her.
    Spike: I know slayers. No matter how many people they've got around them, they fight alone. Life of the chosen one. The rest of us be damned. Your mother was no different.
    Robin: No, she loved me.
    Spike: But not enough to quit, though, was it? Not enough to walk away... for you. I'll tell you a story about a mother and son. See, like you, I loved my mother. So much so I turned her into a vampire... so we could be together forever. She said some nasty bits to me after I did that. Been weighing on me for quite some time. But you helped me figure something out. You see, unlike you, I had a mother who loved me back. When I sired her, I set loose a demon, and it tore into me, but it was the demon talking, not her. I realize that now. My mother loved me with all her heart. I was her world. That's a nice little song you got there. Thanks, doc. You cured me after all. I got my own free will, now. I'm not under the First's or anyone else's influences now. I just wanted you to know that... before I kill you.

Buffy: I lost my mom a couple years ago. I came home and found her dead on the couch.
    Robin: I'm sorry.
    Buffy: I understand what you tried to do, but she's dead.
    Robin: Because he murdered her.
    Buffy: I'm preparing to fight a war, and you're looking for revenge on a man that doesn't exist anymore.
    Robin: Buffy, don't delude yourself... That man still exists.
    Buffy: Spike is the strongest warrior we have. We are gonna need him if we're gonna come out of this thing alive. You try anything again, he'll kill you. More importantly, I'll let him. I have a mission to win this war, to save the world. I don't have time for vendettas. The mission is what matters.

Giles: Buffy...I- I understand your anger. Please believe me, we did what we-
    Buffy: He's alive. Spike's alive. Wood failed.
    Giles: Well, that doesn't change anything. What I told you is still true. You need to learn-
    Buffy: No, I think you've taught me everything I need to know.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 9
    Gripping: 9
    My Rank: 9
    Total: 9.5
  • The One Where We Meet Spike's Mom

I usually hate Spike-centric episodes. I usually blame him for the downfall of seasons six and seven as his constant presence just grates on my nerves. But, there's something about Lies My Parents Told Me that is just genius.

Right from the opening sequence set in 70s New York where punk Spike and Pam Grier in Coffy-lookalike Nikki Wood fight in the pouring rain, you just know you're in for a wild ride.

The episode has more Spike flashbacks as well as Principal Wood finally seeking vengeance for his mother's murder by trying to kill Spike, whilst Wood's partner-in-crime Giles (!) distracts Buffy.

James Marsters and DB Woodside own this episode, with both giving amazing performances. In particular Woodside, who finally gets to show what he's made of. He gets some brilliant lines and his fight scene with Spike is brilliantly choreographed and shot.

Drusilla makes her final appearance on Buffy. She doesn't get to do much but is hilarious when she becomes disgusted at the fact that Spike wants to sire his mother and take her with him and Dru on their murder spree through Europe.

Caroline Lagerfelt is brilliantly creepy as Anne, Spike's mother, and the scene where she almost tries to seduce him is compelling, as well as disturbing, to watch.

An absolutely brilliant episode which will please even those who dislike Spike.
  • Oh Spike!

You have got to love an episode were you get to learn a bit more about Spikes past.

And that fact that he turned his own mother into a vampire and then had to kill her because she was really mean to him and wanted to have sex with him (Yuck!)is just extra fun for the kiddies.

So we have Robin, who I liked at first but then he messed with my Spike and it has gone down hill from there. But I digress. We have Robin who knows that Spike was the one who killed his mother and we have Giles who has never liked the whole Buffy/Spike relationship. They join forces to get rid of Spike once and for all. Bad idea. Buffy has by this point be come really attached to Spike and she did not fight that Turok vampire for nothing.

Of course it ends badly, with Robin beat with in a inch of his life (literally, Spike had a little taste) and Buffy mad at both Robin and Giles. Mainly at Giles and rightfully so. Robin was justified, I'm not going to fault him for trying because hey I would too, that was his mother. (But of course I loved Spike kicking his butt,too) And then Buffy figures out what Giles and Robin are up to and arrives in time to let Robin know that he was expendable in the war again the First and that Spike was not. Next time she would let Spike kill him. And Right on sister girl!

But the saddest part was the end, where Buffy tells Giles that she is all done with taking anything from him. I mean, it's Gile and Buffy, man. He is practically her father. It was sad to see the rift between them. And it got a little wider later when he help to kick her out of the house, but that is another episode entirely.

I just love Buffy!