Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Living Conditions

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 12, 1999 on The WB

• Living Conditions

This episode is a stand-alone which doesn't do much for character or plot development, but remains very fun nonetheless. Buffy's in college now and it's fun to see the writers tackle the "bad roommate" topic through, of course, a metaphor! Buffy's roommate turns out to actually be a demon (although she doesn't appear to be from a hell dimension). It seems like Buffy and Willow weren't roommates from the beginning just so they could do an episode like this. I suppose that's convenient, but since Kathy goes away in this episode and it's so much fun, I think I can forgive the writers.

Early on we see Buffy hanging out at Giles' apartment as a way to escape being with Kathy. I must say that Buffy is sweet, cute, and absolutely adorable during this scene. It's fun when Giles points out what all of us are thinking, "Uh, it's a good day for me, actually. A friend of mine recently acquired a-uh an original Gutenberg demonography... and it suddenly occurred to me that you've never once asked me what my day's plans were, which leads me to inquire whether you're feeling entirely Giles almost immediately gets the truth out of Buffy while at the same time illustrating the point that he is really at loose ends. Buffy says, "Ok, you're not having one of those mid-life things, are you? 'Cause I'm still going 'ick' from the last time you tried to recapture your The truth of the matter is that he actually is in the beginning stages of a "mid-life We'll see even more of this as he begins to hang out with Xander a lot in upcoming episodes.

A small moment I enjoyed was Parker's dining card speech to Buffy and her subsequent excitement over a new guy making conversation with her. Sure in retrospect her giddiness with Parker is kind of painful (in the good way) to watch, but it's always fun to see Buffy this excited.

I liked the zoom ins and sound effects used throughout the episode. During a few scenes sounds are amplified and mundane things like clipping nails or biting into a sandwich are brought into full focus. We've never seen BtVS do this, at least quite to this extent, and it's funny and fresh to see in a stand-alone. I really enjoyed the zoom ins on Buffy eyes as she scowls at the ketchup dripping on her shirt and then later Willow eating her food, right after she says that she thinks she is pretty outgoing. Sure it's lightweight, but it's done in such a way that it doesn't come across as cheesy or silly. All of these comments directly apply to the milk scene, which is: OMG. That's how much I love it when Buffy opens a carton of milk and tries to drink the entire thing in one chug, even when most of it starts pouring out of her mouth and onto the floor. The reason why I can be amused by a moment like this because this of its rarity in BtVS. Plus, the fact that Buffy's soul is slowly being taken away from her perfectly explains all of wonky behavior.

One thing that bothers me a bit is how little conversation we get about no soul Buffy. We see that Buffy's soul dissipates to the point of willing to kill someone she thinks is human. Frankly, I'd be fascinated to see a little bit more of what a no soul Buffy is capable of -- that'd be really fun to watch. It would have been even more interesting if she'd killed a human in this state and then got her soul back afterwards. Imagine the possibilities for making commentary on Angel. This isn't a big deal for me or anything, it's just something I'm curious about.

Pretty much the only outright complaint I have of the episode is the silly demons and their corny language. They do not get any development and were simply there to bring Kathy back to their dimension. Also, the joke at the end about Kathy being treated like she's only 900 year old wasn't funny to me in the slightest. Anyway, this episode delivers the goods -- I was thoroughly entertained by this amusing but completely inconsequential episode.

• This episode is a stand-alone which doesn't do much for character or plot development, but remains very fun nonetheless.

Buffy's in college now and it's fun to see the writers tackle the "bad roommate" topic through, of course, a metaphor! Buffy's roommate turns out to actually be a demon. It seems like Buffy and Willow weren't roommates from the beginning just so they could do an episode like this. I suppose that's convenient, but since Kathy goes away in this episode and it's so much fun, I think I can forgive the writers.

A small moment I enjoyed was Parker's dining card speech to Buffy and her subsequent excitement over a new guy making conversation with her. Sure in retrospect her giddiness with Parker is kind of painful to watch, but it's always fun to see Buffy this excited.

• Funny and interesting

The Good;

Kathy is a wonderful character and I wish we'd seen her again (the actress later turns up as recurring character in Desperate Housewives, the nurse who accidentally kills Carlos' mother). I was genuinely suprised that she was a demon, I thought Buffy was going nuts (great performance from SMG, amazing what a little eye-shadow can do). The fight between the 2 at the end and the argument between Kathy and her dad is terrific. The final gag is excellent too although Buffy's scarf makes her look a lot like Joyce when she's had her operation.

The Bad;

Exactly how long would it have taken the demons to work out that Buffy wasn't Kathy?

Best line;

Kathy; I just wanted to make sure we didn't have a thief or somthing?

Buffy; Like who? Sid the wiley dairy gnome?

but I also like Oz; 'On the plus side you killed the bench which was looking shifty' and 'No one deserves mime'

Character death; none

Tied up;

Buffy is netted and tied up by Xander, Oz and Giles. They need to work on their Boy Scout skills though (Buffy's been tied up and escaped countless times and I'm sure escapology must be part of Slayer training?)

Knocked out;

Yep, Oz and Xander by Buffy

Women good/men bad;

Patriarchical demons not letting their daughters go to college. On the other hand it seems that Hank still helps out with Buffy's tuition.

Jeez!;

Kathy slamming the phone into Buffy's face is gruesome yet oddly funny

Kinky dinky;

Xander wonders why Giles doesn't have any manacles like any self-respecting bachelor? Both Oz and Xander admire Parker's 'driveby' hitting on Buffy.

Calling Captain Subtext;

Kathy puts the moves on Parker much to Buffy chagrin. Buffy and Willow end up in the end being roomates. And here is Veruca for the first time, the little scene between her and Oz subtle but incredibly significant. Willow refers to Parker as the cutie-patootie once again casting her as Bi rather than gay. Willow refers to Giles as their 'grown up friend' but not in a creepy way.

Scoobies to the ER;

Buffy isn't hurt despite the no-holds barred thrashing she and Kathy give each other

Where's Dawn?

Kathy comments that Buffy has always been an only child, well not always. She also says she and Buffy are like sisters, well Dawn and Buff fight too and Dawn turns out not to be what she seems

Questions and observations;

Giles reads Scooter and Motorbike magazine, did he sell Wes his? A funny but pretty slight ep with some good performances from the leads. I think season 4 is just taking a little time to find it's feet.

Marks out of 10; 6/10, a slight ep but a cracker, funny and interesting.

• Great episode!

This is def one of my favorite Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes so far! I loved all the humor in it. Don't get me wrong I love all the heavy drama in this series, but it's nice to have a light-hearted feeling episode from time to time. So, it was def no surprise to me that Buffy & Willow end up becoming roomates, but I was surprised by the story that got them to that point. I really didn't expect Kathy to be evil! Annoying & socially maladjusted, yes. But not evil! That's one thing I really like about Buffy...It's always surprising me!
  • Are they ever going to trust Buffy's instincts?

In this episode, Buffy's roommate, Kathy is driving Buffy crazy. She thinks that she's a demon, and nobody believes her, and in the end, she finds out that she's right. This is not the first, or last, time that this will happen. The first was with the dummy, Sid. Then there was Ted, now there's this. Another running gag was that Xander seemed to have liked her, and she's a Demon. It also shows Buffy's testy side, and it has a real good fight scene at the end. It was also funny to see the spoiled-brat of a demon at the end of the episode. This episode not only meets the Buffy the Vampire Slayer standard, but passes it.
  • Living Conditions

Living Conditions was a great second episode of the fourth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This episode saw Buffy trying to learn to live with her obnoxiously annoying roommate. Buffy tells Kathy she's going for coffee as an excuse to go patrol, but when Kathy tags along and their attacked by a demon things start getting weird! Both of them start having a crazy nightmare about the same kind of demon that attacked them performing a ritual on them. As Buffy grows continually agitated the gang starts to wonder if she will fly off the deep end and hurt someone. This episode was a very relatable rite of passage, for college viewers especially! I thought that the story was well thought out and delivered!
  • Season 4, Episode 2.

Kathy plays music that Buffy hates, borrows her clothes without asking and stains them, labels all of her food in the refrigerator, and flirts with this boy Parker that Buffy is interested in. Buffy comes to the conclusion that she is evil.

I loved the rivalry between Buffy and Kathy. I liked when they finally decided to annoy the other and Buffy drank all the milk. It was awesome. Haha. Parker's not that bad looking, but I miss Angel. Buffy looks really good this season! I liked Buffy and Oz on patrol together because I think it's the first time the two have a scene alone together. Awesome episode!
  • Do you believe in life after love?

I love this episode to be honest. It is jam packed with comedy. I agree with the reviewer below that I would have liked more Buffy dealing with an annoying roommate, but I don't know how long I would have liked it. Maybe a three episode arc. I thought the back and forth banter and revenge between Kathy and Buffy was hilarious. Also, every bit of the toenail bits were awesome. I also loved the short scene with Xander and Oz wondering if Buffy is properly restrained.

This episode easily earns a spot in my top ten episodes for season 4.
  • A cute little episode that's gets a little silly and easy by the end.

It was charming and cute the little conflict here with Buffy so upset with her roomate that her only conclusion was that she must be a demon. The twist that she actually was a demon was also kind of fun- very Joss Whedon. Yet by the end of this, I felt a little cheated. Why?

Perhaps it was the idea that Buffy was going to have to deal with just a regular annoying person really appealed to me. Turning her into someone they can just kill and get rid of seemed like an easy way out. But the most sense that came here was Willow and Buffy are now roomates. Why wasn't that the case from the start?
  • Sorry. This episode is hilarious.

Living Conditions is an absolutely hilarious episode and one that is tragically underrated. It has some laugh out loud moments and whilst being a bit predictable, makes up for it for being plain fun.

I really, really enjoyed Kathy. She's so very, very annoying and if she had gone on for more episodes, she would have just been hated but keeping her to 2 episodes really worked. She's just one of those overly cheerful, peppy, nice people that have so many annoying habits that you cannot like them. Of course, Buffy does all this and puts a supernatural twist on it!

The dialogue between Buffy and Kathy is a real highlight of this episode. Their catty exchanges made me laugh a lot and Sarah Michelle Gellar revelled in her b!tchy role, as she always does. She would have made a brilliant Cordelia (although I'm very happy she got the part of Buffy and Charisma Carpenter got Cordelia). If there's one thing Buffy ALWAYS does well, it's dialogue. Even dull episodes have some quotes that makes them worth it. One of my favourite scenes is when Buffy takes Kathy's carton of milk and drains it in one while spilling it over herself. It always gets a laugh out of me.

Dagney Kerr does very well in a simple role. She's not Emmy-winning but she does comedy and happy very, very well. Kathy could have come across as simply annoying but Dagney makes her funny.

However, Buffy and Kathy aren't the only good things. Oz, Willow and Xander all had some great lines. Willow's "Good thinking, cuz in the middle of the night, those toenails could have attacked you and left little half moon marks all over your body!" is simply hilarious and one of the best lines of the show. Have I mentioned how well Buffy does comedy?

Living Conditions is a fun, interesting episode that you will really enjoy if you don't go in expecting something outstanding. It's just a little episode that always get a smile out of me. Fantastic.
  • Oz: Oh, I'm not saying we'll braid each other's hair... probably. But I can hang with her, watch for signs she's going over the edge

This episode is really funny and puts a nice demonic spin on the roommate from hell idea. Kathy is hilarious and the Celine Dion, toe nails, ironing, phone call list and her milk issues are really hilarious. I love how everyone just thinks that Buffy is being crazy, because it really seems like she acting that way in face of a bothersome roommate. Watching Oz and Xander tie her up is great and it is so funny to watch her get away in order to kill her roommate. It is such a good picture of college and dorm life that has a happy ending (at least for Buffy and Willow) as they become roommates.
  • Hell Mate

7.9
    Living Conditions-Dorm life proves to be a challenge as Buffy has to deal with a roommate who is more than a little bit difficult. Kathy plays music that Buffy hates, labels all her food in the refrigerator, borrows clothes without asking, and gets in the way of Buffy's Slayer duties. She even starts flirting with Parker, Buffy's first college infatuation. Eventually, Buffy comes to the only logical conclusion: Kathy is evil, and must be killed.

With the new college setting, Joss and writers tried to explore the college experience like the high school years by creating metaphors for college. The episode marks the first as Buffy's roommate turns out to be demon. It's a pretty obvious development and one of the few times the writers were predictable with their metaphors with "the roommate from hell". Besides that predictable development, the episode is very entertaining though with Buffy and Cathy annoying the hell out of each other with some priceless lines like: Kathy: "You know what your problem is Buffy?"
    Buffy: "You?"

and

Kathy: "Looks like someone work up on the wrong side of the bed this morning."
    Buffy: "Yeah, and guess what...you were next to it."

Other great scenes are Kathy getting Buffy's sweater dirty, Willow trying to cover for Buffy when telling Kathy she was attacked by a bear, not to mention the gang tieing Buffy up only for her to escape by her knocking Xander and Oz's heads together. Also, the dream sequences are stunning yet disturbing with the demonic rituals with the blood drinking, scorpions, and weird symbols. The final fight between Buffy and Kathy is both hilarious and well choregraphed. The "orangy" demons after Kathy were cool looking and I love the inside joke when Kathy tells her fellow demons their treating her like she's 900 years old, lol. The only downside is the introduction of Parker, who becomes Buffy's love interest...or more lust interest for the next episode or so. "Living Conditions" is a predictable yet enjoyable and entertaining hour of Buffy which is deserves some occassional viewing.
  • Buffy's roommate Kathy is evil and Buffy must stop her.

I love this episode of Buffy. It's really enjoyable. Buffy's roommate is so annoying but it's funny to see Buffy act all crazy and paranoid. There were some pretty funny scenes in this episode like when Buffy's tapping her pencil and Kathy is clipping her nail. It was funny to see Buffy take Kathy's milk and drink it. Oz listening Buffy was cool because they never really talk to each other. One of the most coolest scenes in this episode was when Oz and Xander tie up Buffy because they think she's gone insane. They shouldn't have known better. I didn't like that Kathy was talking with Parker, and then Buffy got all jelous but in the end it was all good. It was cool to see that Buffy was actually right that Kathy was evil. I was happy to see Willow end up as Buffy's roommate but I always kept wondering who Willow's roommate was before she was Buffy's roommate.
  • Is Buffy over reacting over her new room mate, or is there something really evil about this gal.

Buffy's college room mate is a monster, well at least Buffy is convinced so.
    Giles and the rest of the gang find it a little hard to believe that this other young girl is really as bad to live with as Buffy says. Even Willow tries to encourage Buffy to try harder to get along with her room mate, and that perhaps being an only child is the reason Buffy feels so strongly about this girl being in her space. Although she does try, Buffy is convinced that the girl is a monster. The whole situation comes to a head and the girl and Buffy begin to fight, in the process Buffy tears off the other girl's face, and yells "I knew it"!
    The girl had escaped her realm to try and her parents were now there to take her back.
    In the end Willow ends up moving in with Buffy.
    Great episode nice twists, doubts, and laughs.
  • Demon roommate for Buffy and in the literal sense too

7.4
    If I were Buffy I would have thought Kathy was evil too. I mean ironing jeans is pretty creepy and listening to that Cher song; I would have been ready to kill too! The whole soul sucking thing was on the lame side too.

It was annoying to see Buffy just having b*tch attacks throughout the entire episode. The whole thing between her and Kathy was just blah there wasn't really anything to it. Sure it was a little bit funny at times but there really wasn't anything to it. All the scenes with them fighting though were quite amusing. I loved the milk and the gum and of course nail clipping against pencil tapping. It was just nice humor and I loved that.

I did like that Willow had school work to do so she sent Oz to spend time with Buffy. It was great to watch the two of them. I loved when Buffy killed the shifty looking bench. Seeing Oz just listen to Buffy was nice though because you never get to see them together.

Xander and Oz tying Buffy up at Giles' place was completely brilliant. I loved that they didn't think they had tied her tight enough and when they went to check she knocked them both out. It was funny that Willow sent Buffy to Giles' especially with the message "more like homicidal maniac crazy. So I told her to come see you, kay?" That was just way too funny.

It was nice that in the end Kathy went back to her demon dimension and Willow ended up being Buffy's new roommate.
  • im 3000 years old, stop treating me like im 900.

this episode was really funny, but didnt have much signifigance to the show. it basicly gave you a break from the hard core slayage going on. i actually thought this was a pointless funny episode. buffy was getting her soul sucked and turning mean, while her room mate kathy was jamming out to some "nice" love songs. buffy was so paranoid and funny at it too. it was so funny when she drinks the milk during share time. the poart where giles is like i think there is something amiss and buffys like yeah, a miss kathy newman. good stuff there. so overall this was just a filler funny episode.
  • buffy has the room mate from hell, just what a slayer needs

this for me personally was one of the best episodes of season 4, it was also one of the funnest as you got to see buffy go psycho over her new room mate. it wasn't one of those episodes that contributed to the main story for the season, but i think it was needed as it showed that buffy also has human everday problems and well as slayer problems, even though kathy did turn out to be a demon that was sucking buffy's soul!!!. it was also one of the most amusing episodes, my favorite part however was the end where we see buffy go crazy over williow eating her burger at the end, it shows that buffy does have more sharing and jelously issues than we first thought, which comes from being an only child till next year lol
  • Buffy is stuck with the roomie from H.

Favorite Quotes:
    Kathy: "Sounds like somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning."
    Buffy: "Mm-hmm. And guess what? You were next to it."

Some noteworthy things happen in this episode. Buffy meets Parker for the first time and Oz and Veruca see each other for the first time, this will be important on down the road. I enjoyed this ep for the most part. I felt like the scoobies were too quick to dismiss Buffys worries about Kathy, though. Yeah, granted she did sound kind of loopy when she was ranting about Kathys toenails but still! I think the worst thing would have to be the Cher song that Kathy put on repeat for most of the episode. No one deserved that kind of torture!
  • Ok, so that was the evil twin right? Cuz she was bordering on Cordelia-esque.

So Buffy seems to be having issues with her new roommate (which I get, Cher over and over would get to anyone). Buffy is convinced that it’s not just rommie issues. She thinks that Kathy is evil and she is going to kill her. After realizing what she plans on doing, Willow and Giles realize that they need to stop her. But it turns out that Buffy is right and Kathy escaped her demon dimension to go to college.

Buffy: Um, he had a cloak on, glowy green eyes, and his skin had that, like, that super bad fake rub-on tan.
    Giles: Translate?
    Buffy: Um, orangey?
  • it´s so funny! I mean who wouldn´t killl Kathy?

Kathy: a diva lover, obcessive control freak, shirt wrecker, soulsucking demon.
    this show is great. first you see why buffy was driven to insanity by Kathy the most annoying person in this and a few other dimensions. when the show starts you see Buffy just annoyed by Kathy but as the show progresses you see how much of a imposer and a jerk.
    and in the end Buffy´s friends think she is insane but later realize that Kathy is a demon and the reason Buffy was so wacky was partly becouse Kathy was sucking her soul so that her dad would take buffy home to Kathy´s demon dimension instead of her.
  • buffy is a beech and so is her roomate

not a bad episode just pointless. it did make me laugh a few times especially when buffy began to fight back by drinking the milk and stuff. but the episode is easy to forget and just did not serve any purpose.

i don't know what to write any more lol. ohyeah the girl kathy was soooo annoying and i was happy when she went back to her world. stupid girl.
  • Buffy's crazy!

In this episode I was really impressed with Sarah Michelle Gellar's ability to stack on the crazy. She really smashed into the psychotic behavior. Impressive and quite enjoyable. It brought quite a lot of comedic moments early on in the season, which isn't always the easiest thing to do. And though I didn't feel the performance from Buffy's room mate was the best and her interaction with Sarah left me with slight disbelief on the room mates part I felt that the entire cast really fit into the story line, that wasn't pivotal to the series in anyway. Which sometimes wasn't so simple.
  • Buffy becomes convinced that her roommate is evil.

A light episode that alternates between being dull and amusing in about equal measure. Kathy is annoying as all get out (which is the point of her character) and Buffy is provided with a lot of humorous bits due to this.

My favorite scene is Buffy trying to explain to Willow that Kathy's toenails are evil. In addition, Willow telling Giles that Buffy's acting homicidally insane, so she of course she sent her to Giles is good for a grin.

Unfortunately, Kathy as demon just wasn't interesting and I find this episode relatively skippable. The episode ends with Buffy and Willow becoming room mates.
  • Roomates a demon. If only.

This episode takes something that happens to most people, having to share a small comfined space and puts a paranormal spin on it.

The situations they complained about, music tastes, sharing clothes, eating each others food, leaving toenails in the bathroom are very down to earth, something that people can relate to, part of the perils of lving with another person. I hope that I never have to share a room with someone like Kathy. Or even someone remotely like her. The end, with Kathy returning to the demon dimension hit upon the fact that parents sometimes forget that their children grow up and is a good note to leave the episode on.
  • ' I'm 3000 years old. When are you going to stop treating me like I'm 900?'

‘Living Conditions’ is an excellent second episode of the 4th season, it deserves to be called one of the series funniest.

It’s about Buffy becoming very b!tchy, a lot more than in ‘When She Was Bad’. She mostly has issues with her roommate Kathy who is a different ‘person’ than she claims to be.

The two roommates aren’t going along, one day Buffy goes out for patrolling but Kathy decides to come along, when a demon attacks Kathy pushes Buffy away in the bushes and makes her sweater dirty, then the horror begins.

Buffy feels very annoyed by Kathy. She even tries to hang out with Giles. In school when she sees Kathy she tries to hide herself and that way she meets Parker. She immediately has a crush on him but he seems to be only interested in her butt. When Buffy goes to hang out with Xander and the girls (Willow and Oz) Kathy joins them and she is wearing a sweater of Buffy. Buffy isn’t to pleased about this, specially when Kathy makes the sweater dirty with her hamburger sauce.

That night Buffy and Kathy have a fight and when Buffy goes to sleep, she dreams of a demon taking something out of her. The next day she tells it to her friends but that the worst part was when she woke up next to Kathy. Kathy soon joins and says that she had the same dream, which makes Buffy say that she’s steeling her dreams.

Buffy has really gone crazy when she finds Kathy and Parker together, she tells him to come back later and thinks it’s share time with Kathy. She grabs Kathy’s milk and drinks it up like some retarded caveman.

When Oz goes to patrol with Buffy, Buffy continues talking about Kathy and destroys a bad fence. She thinks that she has to kill Kathy, because her finger nails keep growing,. Willow sends her over to Giles where Xander and Oz catch her before she does anything stupid. But Buffy being all superb!tch she escapes by untying her ropes and hitting Oz and Xander with each other’s head.

Buffy goes to finish Kathy and turns out that she was right. Kathy’s mask comes out, and she’s the same demon those other were. She escaped her world to go to collage, but they are after her and will take the on without a soul and that’s what she was doing in Buffy’s dreams. Taking out her soul, but it’s to late when Giles makes the soul go back and the father/mother demon takes Kathy back into her home dimension.

All in all ‘Living Conditions’ isn’t a classic, but it’s till hilarious. Well written comedy about the pain of a new roommate, only this one was a little worse than the usual.

• \"She irons her jeans – she’s evil! She has to be destroyed.\" - Buffy

I suppose they had to get rid of Kathy. Either that or make her a full-time Scoob, the replacement Cordelia perhaps; Buffy couldn’t have snuck out to patrol forever without some kind of suspicion or storyline. And Buffy is very keen to patrol, it’s preferable to staying in with her telephone-logging, toenail-clipping, teeth-flossing, pencil-sharpening, egg-rolling, window-closing, clothes-borrowing, song-repeating, jeans-ironing roomie “Minimom of Momdonia”. This is a story of possession and possessions, learning to share and Cher. The episode emphasises the irritating habits of others, and Willow and Buffy, both only children (at this point anyway), are unhappy about living with other people. We know from the Faith experience that Buffy is no good at sharing her life, friends, possessions, space, dreams, boyfriends or soul. However, many of Buffy’s issues with Kathy seem to be about food – burgers, sandwiches, eggs, milk. No wonder the Slayer is so darn skinny in this series.

It’s a bit of a silly episode but it does have two classic misleads. The lime-eyed demons appear to be after Buffy rather than Kathy and secondly, Buffy seems to be possessed by an evil demon which is turning her into a “homicidally crazy” person, which leads to the amusing Giles/Xander/Oz intervention. Buffy is convinced that she has to kill Kathy, but it’s really Kathy’s soul-sucking making her into Queen B*tch. The vampires as metaphor for high school problems has moved on up to “my room-mate’s a demon” – literally.

Meanwhile, future storylines are set up with Parker, Veruca and the Initiative (once again) entering the picture. What else? Xander is already bored of unemployment whilst “Gentleman of leisure” Giles has taken up jogging and, much to Xander’s chagrin, owns no manacles. At least Olivia has sodded off back to “England”.

In the end you gotta feel sorry for Kathy, she only wanted to escape the demon dimension, go to college and be independent just like everyone else. Also in the end, Willow moves out of party hell dorm and in with Buffy at Stevenson Hall. Which was really what the last 42 minutes was about.

• Dorm life proves to be a challenge as Buffy has to deal with a roommate who is more than a little bit difficult. Kathy continually imposes her idiosyncrasies onto Buffy and even begins to invade her dreams which has Buffy acting just a little too strange

Dorm life proves to be a challenge as Buffy has to deal with a roommate who is more than a little bit difficult. Kathy continually imposes her idiosyncrasies onto Buffy and even begins to invade her dreams which has Buffy acting just a little too strange about the situation. Buffy sets her sights on Parker Abrams, the first college guy to pay her any attention, but when Kathy becomes more friendly with him than her, Buffy declares that she must kill Kathy.
  • Going crazy over someone who annoyes the heck out of you is my life story!

This episode makes my Top 10 of buffy easy. The scence where buffy and her roommate square off is great. I love where the roommate thinks it's cold and buffy thinks it's hot and the roommate wants buffy to log the calls and during the fight buffy gets thrown part way out the window and the roommate says "windows open" and then she pimp slaps buffy with the phone. This episode shows how annoying people can drive you crazy and make you feel like kicking their butt. It plays it up with the soul sucking demon part, but usually when I watch this episode I have to watch it twice in a row, I feel so great and get a good release of negative energy watching buffy feel and go through what I often do myself.
FX