Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Living Conditions

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 12, 1999 on The WB

• Funny and interesting

The Good;

Kathy is a wonderful character and I wish we'd seen her again (the actress later turns up as recurring character in Desperate Housewives, the nurse who accidentally kills Carlos' mother). I was genuinely suprised that she was a demon, I thought Buffy was going nuts (great performance from SMG, amazing what a little eye-shadow can do). The fight between the 2 at the end and the argument between Kathy and her dad is terrific. The final gag is excellent too although Buffy's scarf makes her look a lot like Joyce when she's had her operation.

The Bad;

Exactly how long would it have taken the demons to work out that Buffy wasn't Kathy?

Best line;

Kathy; I just wanted to make sure we didn't have a thief or somthing?

Buffy; Like who? Sid the wiley dairy gnome?

but I also like Oz; 'On the plus side you killed the bench which was looking shifty' and 'No one deserves mime'

Character death; none

Tied up;

Buffy is netted and tied up by Xander, Oz and Giles. They need to work on their Boy Scout skills though (Buffy's been tied up and escaped countless times and I'm sure escapology must be part of Slayer training?)

Knocked out;

Yep, Oz and Xander by Buffy

Women good/men bad;

Patriarchical demons not letting their daughters go to college. On the other hand it seems that Hank still helps out with Buffy's tuition.

Jeez!;

Kathy slamming the phone into Buffy's face is gruesome yet oddly funny

Kinky dinky;

Xander wonders why Giles doesn't have any manacles like any self-respecting bachelor? Both Oz and Xander admire Parker's 'driveby' hitting on Buffy.

Calling Captain Subtext;

Kathy puts the moves on Parker much to Buffy chagrin. Buffy and Willow end up in the end being roomates. And here is Veruca for the first time, the little scene between her and Oz subtle but incredibly significant. Willow refers to Parker as the cutie-patootie once again casting her as Bi rather than gay. Willow refers to Giles as their 'grown up friend' but not in a creepy way.

Scoobies to the ER;

Buffy isn't hurt despite the no-holds barred thrashing she and Kathy give each other

Where's Dawn?

Kathy comments that Buffy has always been an only child, well not always. She also says she and Buffy are like sisters, well Dawn and Buff fight too and Dawn turns out not to be what she seems

Questions and observations;

Giles reads Scooter and Motorbike magazine, did he sell Wes his? A funny but pretty slight ep with some good performances from the leads. I think season 4 is just taking a little time to find it's feet.

Marks out of 10; 6/10, a slight ep but a cracker, funny and interesting.