Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Lover's Walk

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 24, 1998 on The WB

• Lover's Walk

If I have one complaint about S3, it's the lack of Spike. So when you mix S3's awesome consistency and great character development with Spike, you've got one hell of an episode. There is just so much fun to be had here that if there wasn't so much attention paid to the horrible Willow and Xander 'thing,' it would have gotten a perfect score. Thank the powers that this episode marks the end of that nonsense. Nonetheless, unlike some people I know, I don't let something minor ruin my appreciation for the rest of the episode.

The episode begins with the group getting their SAT scores back. Buffy gets a high score which shocks her into actually consider that she may have a life outside of slaying still, and the "college talk" begins. I like Joyce's discussion about it with Buffy at the house and how Buffy shoots down her mention of wanting keg parties and frat boys. Go Buffy! I think it's great that Giles actually encourages her to go to college and uses Faith as a possible way out. Angel even tells her, as a 'friend,' that she should leave Sunnydale and go to a good college. All of this just goes to show how much the people around Buffy genuinely care about her well-being and future.

For the rest of the episode, though, Spike steals the show. He rides into town again in the exact same way as in "School Hard" (2x03). He drives over the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign again and will be the cause of it falling over one more time in the series finale, "Chosen" (7x22). He then visits Joyce just to chat with her about his breakup with Drusilla. His comment, "you got any of those little marshmallows?" gets me laughing every time.

All the great moments (many of which are captured in the quote section below) are attributed to Spike and his realizations. He admits he's "love's bitch" and explains to Buffy and Angel that they'll never be 'friends.' He says, "You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends." Spike is incredibly unhappy coming into this episode. He drinks a ton, which is always a sign of that (we saw him drinking a bunch while stuck in his wheelchair in "Surprise" [2x13]). All this sorrow stems from his love breaking up with him. Love is everything to Spike. Right now it's more a perverted love, but over the final three seasons of this series he begins to slowly change that perversion to purity and even ends up sacrificing his life ("Chosen" [7x22]) for love and redemption.

What's the one thing that brings Spike out of his sorrow? Violence. The moment he gets in a good brawl he feels himself again and leaves town in an attempt to get Dru back. Spike's powerful words obviously didn't go unnoticed to Buffy because she, soon afterwards, breaks it off with Angel realizing that they are not indeed 'friends' and that Angel can't give her the relationship she wants. If the Buffy and Angel relationship wasn't meant to end in "Faith, Hope, and Trick" (3x03) like I wanted, then this is the perfect cut-off point which is why I can't understand why they get all snuggly again later in the season, but that's another story.

The end of the episode shows everyone alone and unhappy, except for Spike who is back in form and singing while on the highway down south. This is a BtVS classic: it's got loads of humor, drama, messages, and action all in one tightly wrapped package. It's just a shame that I have to wait until S4 to get more Spike!
  • Horror and heartache

Lover's Walk

The Good;

Spike is back in town and emotional hell follows with him for the rest of the cast! I think it's at this point that Buffy really stops being about the demon of the week and starts being about the relationships.

The Bad;

Are you kidding?

Best line;

Spike; I may be love's *** but at least I'm man enough to admit it

Character death;

Bye bye to another magic shop owner. Spike's killing her is horrible in the extreme, the sheer brutality of it. The scene where Spike threatens to push a broken bottle in Willow's face is also horrible (pay attention Spike fans!). I remember watching this ep for the first time and thinking "NO! They can't kill Cordy!" but eventually they do. Presumably the funeral we see is of the Magic Shop owner?

Knocked out; Cordy and Xander

Women good/men bad; Joyce wants Buffy to go to parties with kegs and boys, as it happens neither will work out well for her.

Kinky dinky; Willow thinks bowling and rented shoes are sexy which is a whole level of kink beyond my ken, my barbie and all my action figures. Spike also seems to be quite enamoured of Willow (Spillow?) which will be referred to again in season 4. He also talks of 'having a woman' which implies that a vamp feeding is akin to a sexual act. Spike says he's going to torture Dru until she loves him again.?

Calling Captain Subtext; How much do we adore the scene between Spike and Joyce? Of course when we see Spike's relationship with his own mum, we understand why. Spike also refers to Angel as 'peaches' and a 'great poof' which must have had Spangel fans working overtime. Buffy comments that for some reason she can't fool Spike hinting at their relationship to come and possibly Spikes hidden sensitivity (realising in season 4 that Willow is falling apart, empathising with Dawn in season 5). Plus Dru senses that Spike is infatuated with the Slayer.

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy and Angel beat up and threaten to kill Spike for info

Questions and observations;

Willow refers to Cletus the slack jawed yokel from the Simpsons. Weirdly Buffy has never even been referenced on that show as far as I know? Xander refers to Buffy and him working at the drive-in, both will but not at the same time. Surely the Mayor wouldn't have let Spike and co run rampant last year and destroyed the world? Xander recognises the ingredients for a love spell from his experience in BBB. Note Xander refers to wanting to be a fireman which will also feature in The Replacement (he later plays one in a very bad Syfy movie Fire Serpent) . Weirdly Buffy says that Spike's not known for keeping his word but to judge by 'Lie to Me' and 'Becoming' he actually does? Or does she mean that he'd promised that he'd never return to Sunnydale? Note that even Angel with a soul still knows how to push Spike's buttons? Cordy's expression upon seeing Xander and Willow together is just heartrending.

Buffy scores remarkably well on the SATs once again showing us there's brains behind that blonde hair. Love Cordy's bizarre leap of logic that Xander has been kidnapped by Columbian drug barons?

Really you get the idea that they're toying with the idea of Spike as a regular character and this was a test for it. Of course he fit the bill and the rest is history

10/10 no question

• Lover's Walk

Lover's Walk was a key episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Third Season. In this episode Willow and Zander's recent actions finally catch up with them, having dire consequances for Cordelia while leaving Oz feeling betrayed. Spike also returned to Sunnydale and wants willow to do a love spell for him. I think that this episode was exciting to watch, especially the action scenes, and the suspense of the characters actions. The stories blended together in a superb flow. This show is so complex yet simple at the same time. This makes it very relatable to most viewers, and this episode definitely is worth watching.
  • A strange episode in the mix of Season 3, but an official comeback for James Marsters, who swore in the Season 2 finale not to return to Sunnidale \"I bloody well hope\". Well, that didn\'t really last.

Not my favorite episode - because Spike\'s lines are very out of character (crying most of the time, not coherently) and one big disappointment - The loss of Drusilla, just by the time I got used to her. It\'s also unrealistic - the chance that the two lovers will part over something like that after 100 years seems odd. Only after Season 4 (Spoiler alert) when Spike returns and gets an official star status, I understood why. (End Spoiler) It\'s quite badly written too, I\'m afraid - The dialogs are not as good as the rest, and the fight scene in the Magic shop is even lame. You can skip it and move right on, the only important thing plotwise in this episode is that Cordelia and Oz find Willow and Xander kissing. Cordelia leaves the Scooby-gang after this, and Oz sticks around until mid-Season 4.
  • How Spike got his grove back (and how everyone else lost theirs).

Most of the loose ends from last season have been tied up in the first third of this one with one big exception. Spike snuck out of Buffy and Angel's fateful duel, speeding off with his unconscious beau Drusilla. Obviously he survived for a reason. Spike has a devoted following, so much so that his image is on one of the DVDs for this season despite being in only one episode (and said DVD doesn't contain it). However, there had to be more to his return than satisfying the fans. So leave it to Spike to breeze into town, make a huge emotional mess, and leave with his old attitude back, while leaving the door open for another comeback later.

It's apparent in Spike's return, echoing his arrival in "School Hard", that he is a different vampire. Smashing through the "Welcome to Sunnydale" sign now doesn't mean that he's a bad boy, but that he was too drunk to drive. Fans may have had cause for concern, as they wouldn't want to see Spike moping the entire episode. However, they mine great comedy out of this, like him sobbing over a park bench where they killed a homeless man. It also serves as a contrast to Angel and Buffy's relationship: they want him to get over his heartbreak, but they're oblivious to their own problems with love. All three have a big moment of realization during this: Spike realizing he's "gone soft" and needs to be tough to get Drusilla back and Angel and Buffy realize they're fooling themselves.

Of course his initial target is Angel. Through the second part of last season Angelus continually teased the physically impotent Spike while charming Drusilla. It ultimately created the chain of events that caused him to side with Buffy which destroyed his relationship with Drusilla. Until he gets to the magic shop, he seems more like the guy who gets wasted, talks big about revenge and ultimately does nothing. However, it's Spike's desire to curse Angel with leprosy that leads him on a collision course with Willow, where he becomes the catalyst for the breakdowns of three major relationships.

Meanwhile, Xander and Willow's stolen moments have become increasingly obvious. It couldn't keep it going much longer without everyone else coming off as superbly ignorant. Willow tries to fight those hormones by attempting a "de-lusting" spell. While Xander's tried it before (nice callback), this episode is the first time Willow's used magic to simplify her life, a theme that will be explored heavily in future seasons. However, the spells in this episode are merely a device to get Spike involved in the main story and place Xander and Willow in a high peril situation where they express themselves and are discovered in the worst manner possible.

This happens as Cordelia and Oz's gestures show commitment to their relationships. Cordelia has to deal with the pressures of high school politics, where she's gotten plenty of flack from her friends for dating a "loser" like Xander. Displaying photos of them in her locker shows that her feelings for Xander have overcome peer pressure. Oz on the other hand, is known for being so relaxed and nonchalant that putting his feelings out there is noteworthy. Because he's so protective of his emotions, Oz is likely the more hurt of the two.

However, the key development is Buffy and Angel realizing that they don't have a future together. It starts with Buffy's SATs. Despite being expelled, suspended and reprimanded for violent behavior, Buffy's high score offers enormous promise of life outside Sunnydale. For the first time Buffy has the opportunity to live a normal life of "keg parties and boys", what she's always wanted. Faith, albeit a ticking time bomb, can substitute for Buffy at the Hellmouth while she studies. Buffy simply isn't used to thinking about having a future; she slays and that calling carries a short life expectancy. It's like the cliché of the small town person who thinks they'll never leave it, but is given a huge opportunity. Blowing it off is fitting for her character, as if she's expecting the rug to be pulled out, and considering there are a little more than 100 episodes left in the series, it's warranted.

Although she has every reason to go, she's still divided with Angel. It's very much allegorical for teens' indecisiveness over their post-high school plans because of a boyfriend or girlfriend and how siding with the boyfriend or girlfriend is usually regrettable. Angel wisely advises her not to decide because of him. Obviously the set up for Angel's departure into his series starts on this arc on the doomed relationship.

Before they realize their relationship has no future, they spend most of the episode continuing to believe they can be friends after all. With the exception of the intervention, Buffy's friends are content to have her believe it as well, but Spike sees otherwise. He's right to recall the last time he saw them, as it seems they forgot that they were fighting to the death with the world as the prize. After all that has happened, how can they go back to being friends? Simple answer is that they can't, and Spike is the only one who can tell them that.

In the heat of all that happened in "Becoming", it'd be easy to forget that Buffy willingly invited Spike into her home and so far this season, failed to rescind that or reinvite Angel after his soul was restored. The way they dealt with that conundrum is the funniest moment of the episode, where Spike taunts the "bad man" Angel while mockingly posing as if to bite her outside her eyesight. Despite this, they never do get around to rescinding that invite.

The Spike and Joyce friendship really could've been forced and absurd, but it somehow works: the suburban single mom and the European mass murderer commiserating over hot chocolate with marshmallows. Joyce has to be the mother to the heartsick Spike, and he, despite his nature to kill humans, is happy to have to someone to talk to.

Spike's return gets on the Mayor's radar and what he's planning is too important for Spike to mess up, despite him enjoying (and the deputy dreading) Spike's exploits last season. This short scene, in addition to adding the conflict where Spike, Angel and Buffy fight Spike's former flunkies (now the Mayor's), offers some insight into how the Mayor perceives outside demons and vampires. So, if he was aware of Spike, what else did he know and did he attempt to intervene off camera?

The only part of this episode that doesn't work is Cordelia's impalement. When it first aired, it might've provided a brief shock when they cut to the funeral, then Willow & Buffy, who just happen to be walking past it, explaining that Cordelia's OK. Now, it comes off as a cheap way to get a rise out of the audience. Everything up to it does help make the situation where Xander and Willow are exposed more uncomfortable.

This episode is the best so far this season. It's essentially the second part of the end of the introductory phase and it ends messily. Faith became jaded by the group and Angel's return raised tensions last episode, and now all the romantic relationships are in ruins. Spike's return could've been just a bone thrown to the fans, but it provides valuable character development on top of being really entertaining.
  • this episode reavelled a lot of the characters.

spike came back to town and kinapped willow and xander as he wanted drusilla to come back to him. thus, kinapped them to ask willow to do a sell fr him. this episode show that spike has a soft side and is actually vunerable. he needed comfort from someone, and he would even go to someone he dont like(example: willow and joyce). also willow and xander's cheating behind cordelia and oz was revealed. spike also revealed that angel and buffy still love each other even tho they try not to. spike left town in the end to find drusilla. willow, xander, oz and cordelia felt depressed because of their relationship. buffy told angel that she would not be coming back to see him as he is well enough now.
  • It's all about the character dynamics, stupid

Wow this was one of the best Buffy episodes I've seen so far (I'm a new fan so I'm trying to watch everything in order). Shows like these demonstrate that a strong show focuses as much on characters (if not more) as it does on the story. Basic story: Spike is back in town and wants to get Drusilla back so he kidnaps Willow (along with Xander) to perform a love spell for him. Meanwhile, Buffy and Angel are dealing with the definition of their relationship and Giles is away at a retreat.

Plot points/scenes that "made" this episode for me:

Spike: Spike carried a lot of the better character interactions here. My favorite scene is when he goes into the kitchen to talk to Joyce about his love problems. It was hilarious and just great in general. For a broken-hearted drunkard, he later on serves as the voice of reason between Buffy/Angel's "just friends" relationship and makes a great exit with the eventual realization that he doesn't need the spell and then nonchalantly telling Buffy where he left her friends.

Willow/Xander love conflict: I always wanted to see Willow and Xander together, and thought the developing attraction between them was one of the best parts of the season so far. The end concludes with character growth for everyone involved. I think Cordelia and Willow experience the most growth here. Willow, almost always a "righteous" girl up to this point, comes to terms with guilt from cheating on Oz while Cordelia has to deal with true heartbreak that goes beyond all of the other guys she has dated. Very moving and surprising set of scenes.

And because no good drama takes itself too seriously, we have a happy, love-struck Spike racing on the highway to fade us to the credits.

An A+ episode!
  • Spike: Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's **** but at least I'm man enough to admit it.

Spike returns to Sunnydale in hopes of winning back the love of Dru with a little hope from Willow. Let me start on Willow and Oz in this episode. There must be something wrong with Willow to be cheating on Oz with Xander, I get that she has had a crush on him her entire life and now that he finally gives her attention she can't resist, but she should, they are such an awful couple, I cannot stand them together. And Oz is so sweet with the witch Pez and he always has accepted Willow for the girl that she is and has loved her for being her. Then when Willow says that it is a thoughtful gift and Oz is just like 'well i think about you' how could anyone in their right mind hurt Oz? And I feel bad for Cordelia as well because if Xander and Willow knew they were going to continue with each other they should have broken up with their respective partners. But they probably knew it was wrong as well. At the end when they see the two of them kissing it is heartbreaking.
    Now about Spike, I love Spike in this episode. He is really funny when he is at the house with Joyce showing his civilized side and then Angel shows up and then he just mocks him which is cut short by Buffy. His crying to Willow is also really hilarious and his pathetic love for Dru is so like him. His speech to Buffy and Angel about them never being friends is also really good because it shows his perception, because he understands the situation so well. It reminds me so much of the speech he gives in the fifth season when he gives another speech about the importance of love. Then at the end when he just admits that he left Willow in the factory (as Buffy guessed) and he goes off to win back Dru, by being the man he knows he can be.
  • Season 3, Episode 8.

Spike returns to Sunnydale after Drusilla leaves him. In an effort to get her back, he kidnaps Willow and Xander so he can make Willow perform a love spell. Buffy scores a 1430 on her SATs, and she must decide whether she will go away for college next year or stay in Sunnydale to fight evil.

It was an OK episode. It wasn't that bad, but Spike's return was pretty cool. I'm still not crazy about the sudden romance between Xander and Willow a few episodes ago and that it's still going on. Now Willow needs a spell to stop it. Come on. I liked the Buffy plot though. Plus, I liked when Spike came to visit Joyce. Haha. Buffy invited Angel back in. :) Cool episode.
  • The Heartbreakers Club

Lover's Walk-Spike returns to Sunnydale a broken vampire. Drusilla has left him, and he will do anything to win her back, including kidnapping Willow and Xander to force Willow to prepare him a love spell. Will Willow do the spell, or can the Scoobies prepare for tragedy?

A dark comedic episode that features the return of the blonde badass himself, Spike. James Masters is hilarious throughout as Spike is a drunken, lonely slob of a vampire whose heartbroken over Drusilla breaking up with him. What makes the episode so incredibily entertaining is how bad you feel for Spike. I mean his a murderous monster without a soul yet your rioting for him to find love again. His dialogue is also great like when he talks about Drusilla not even taking the time to "set me on fire, just to show she cared." Also, the scene between Joyce and Spike is real standout. There like the most opposite of people yet watching Spike finding comfort from Buffy's mom as she gives him some advice is an ingenius scene.

Also, the sub-plots are enjoyable as Buffy's SATs brings up some questions and possiblities for the slayer. Can Buffy continue her slayering or should she quit for her a better education that she deserves. Then there's Willow and Xander's kissage relationship finally being found out by Cordelia and Oz. I'm just glad that after this the storyline was dropped as it was getting awfully tedious and boring. But the fake-out with Cordelia was actually shocking in first viewing yet almost could have lead to fans bashing the show if Cordelia ever died like that and so soon.

It's also a funny yet insightful development as Spike of all people tells Buffy and Angel that they are still in madly in love with each other and are stupid for trying to hide they're true feelings. The closing scene as Buffy tells Angel that she can't see him anymore because it hurts to be around him is a beautiful scene yet your hoping they'll be together in the end. All and All, a great mix of dark comedy and insightful scenes about love, "Lover's Walk" is a keeper!
  • Romance in all it's elements.

7.9
    This episode was very fun to watch.
    It combined many things which makes Buffy the vampire slayer do great.

First the element of kick butt action which is what makes Buffy the coolest t.v series around.

In this episode her and Angel get together with Spike which was a very nice surprise to have Spike back for an episode on season 3 if only we knew that we were gonna see alot more of him later in the show.

Anyway Physical violence was great in this episode alot of vampire slayage which is always great to see in this show.

In other elements which was kind of the main theme of this episode was the one and only Romance which the Buffy cast and crew seem to make into magical moments.

There was betrayal and vunrebelaty and the self control of expressing that love. A few examples were Buffy and Angel's conclusion which was they could never be 'just friends' and Willow and xander's magical moment which was interrupted by the two people who would be hurt the most from the kiss that was shard by Willow and Xander which led to Cordelia falling into the ground into a metal pole which almost killed her.

You see with plots like this and the exciting surprises with a little bit of humor added to the mix .

You have a 5 out of 5 star show.

Great episode which should be watched by everyone.

B+

I recommend this
  • SQUEEE!! I love you William the Bloody!

OMG Spike’s return is just so…….Spike. Very, Big Bad of him. I can’t decide if I like Drunk!Spike or Grr!Spike. It’s, like, a tie or something. The scene between Willow and Spike when Spike’s pouring his anguish out is so funny. Willow looked like she wasn’t sure whether to be afraid or not. I was starting to really feel bad for him. I’m glad he was man enough to admit he’s love’s b****.

Wow, this episode was the official breakup for everyone. Everyone’s off in their own little world, thinking over the day’s events then there’s Spike, in his car, listening to heaven knows what singing very badly. I think he should just stick to the whole grr-ing and arrg-ing and generally pissing Buffy off. He’s does that very well.
  • Spike returns. Trouble in paradise for many of Sunnydale.

Oz gives Willow a hollow Pez witch( one of my fav parts).Spike returns to Sunnydale after Drusilla left him. He is heartbroken and seeks revenge. He kidnaps Willow and Xander so she can make him a love spell. Spike is drunk for the most part of this episode and mopey. Angel and Buffy are trying to be just friends, but it is hard. They go off and try to save Willow and Xander. Spike goes to Buffy's house and ends up spilling his guts out to Joyce. Angel tries to get Joyce to invite him in while Spike is being hilarious. That is one of my favorite parts. Oz and Cordelia figure out where Willow and Xander are and walk in on them making out. Everybody is heartbroken. Cordelia falls and impales herself on a piece of rebarb. Spike decides to go back to Drusilla, tie her up and make her take him back. He also makes Angel and Buffy realize that they can never be just friends.

All in all, this is by far one of my favorite Buffy episodes!
  • And They Say Romance Is Dead...

I was never a huge Spike fan, but he was undoubtedly a better character when shown as a moronic useless fool in the earlier seasons, and his big return appearance here is pretty awesome.

James Marsters gives an excellent performance in this episode, as Spike goes through a range of different emotions. Starting out as the lovesick drunk that we all laugh at, before quickly becoming the terrifying murderer threatening to slice open Willow's face with a shard of glass, Marsters effortlessly flirts between the two extremes of Spike's personality, and it's clear that he loves playing the character.

I also loved Spike's interaction with most of the main cast, especially in the hilarious kitchen scene with Joyce. It was perfectly in character for Spike to end up talking to her about his break-up, whilst it was awesome to see Joyce being so caring and sincere, completely oblivious to the fact that he's a vampiric killer.

I was happy to see the Willow/Xander romance quickly resolved, since I don't think I could stomach any more of it. And I was also happy to see them get shown up as truly cruel people, especially as Cordelia and Oz were obviously terrified of anything bad happening to them, risking possible death to save them. I didn't like the whole "Cordelia dying" fake-out though, since it seemed completely out of place. Although, it did give Charisma Carpenter some decent emotional scenes, especially in the shots of her looking all weepy and wounded in a hospital bed.

It takes the deepest Spike-hater to not feel charmed by his appearance in this episode, with James Marsters at his best and some of the best comedic scenes seen on the show so far. Another great season three hour.

Director: David Semel
    Writer: Dan Vebber
    Rating: B+
  • Spike comes back to Sunnydale to stir up some trouble

This was a very touching episode. It had so much to do with love.

I loved that the episode started off with the SAT results. Joyce going insane about Buffy's college choices and stuff was amusing. I loved that Giles and Joyce both agreed that Buffy should go away to college. It was great to see that Angel was the thing keeping her in Sunnydale. I loved everything between Willow and Xander. I liked that they were gonna do a de-lusting spell. Willow thinking along those lines made it clear that she really cared about Oz. I liked Xander and Cordy too. It was obvious that he felt terrible about what he did. They were doing so amazing at the beginning of the episode and it was amazing to see how long it took for them to crash.

I loved Spike he was brilliant. I loved how he told Buffy and Angel that they would never be friends because he was right. I loved Spike moping over Dru too. He was great when talking to Joyce and drinking a cuppa it proved that he wasn't all the big bad. He was almost cute.

This was one of the best episodes of Buffy all season definitely a favorite episode.
  • Spike comes back to the dale

Favorite Quote: Spike: "You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love 'til it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other 'til it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's b itch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

Great episode as we see Spike driving (drunk) back into town. And you just know he isnt there to make nice. He is heartbroken and wanting Dru back, seems she couldnt forgive him for helping Buffy destroy Acathla. He ends up kidnapping Willow and Xander and threatens Willow to do a love spell to get Dru back. These things never work, people!
    It is up to the gang plus Angel to find where Spike has them hidden. Unfortunatley, they are found smooching by Oz and Cordy. Ouch. Cordy runs off but crashes through some stairs and is impaled through her abdomen by rebar. DOUBLE OUCH. Spike ends up driving out of town with a new attitude, but he did leave Buffy and Angel with a cold, hard, truth. They can never be just friends. Buffy knows this and tells Angel Spike was right. Cordelia tells Xander to stay away from her.
  • William The Bloody Returns

Spike returns to Sunnydale, a drunken shell of his former bloody thirsty self now that Drusilla has cut him lose. He seeks of Willow, for her witchy ways and convinces her to perform a spell to win her back from him. Along the way he advises Buffy and Angel of the love they still share for another, the love they will always share for one another no matter what changes or horrors befall them. He also helps bring another little trist to light, Willow and Xander's little infedelity is exposed to all including Oz and Cordelia. After his swift departure he forces Buffy to take a long look at her relationship with Angel and do her best to leave it behind.
  • Spike comes back with heart ache

This episode is histerically funny but has a lot of truth behind it.

Spike has come back to Sunnydale to blame Angel and Buffy for his break up with Drusilla. On his way he finds Willow and Xander, he kidnaps them so that Willow can make him a love spell.

I could tell that Cordy and Oz were going to wlak in on Xander and Willow but it was still a shock. Especially when Cordy fell onto a pole through the stairs. The shot of a funeral the next day was sadistically funny.

Buffy and Angel have finally accepted that they can't be just friends thanks to Spike.

The funniest part of the episode has to be when Spike and Joyce are having a heart to heart about his relationship problems. And the moment is topped off when she won't let Angel in and Spike is making faces behind her.
  • I love love love this episode

Not too many shows on television manage to connect their different storylines in one episode so well. But this episode of Buffy once again proved how amazing these writers are!

First, there is Spike who returns to Sunnydale heartbroken and ready for revenge. It's great that they brought him back, I think James Marsters is a great actor and his character is one of the best tv characters of all time!

Angel and Buffy trying to be friends seems to be working well, but surprisingly Spike knows them better than that and confronts them - sooo funny!!

Then there's Willow and Xander who try to keep the facade and act as friends, but it just won't work. In the end, Oz and Cordy are left heartbroken when they find out there's something going on. It was really sad to see their faces. Even sadder it is if you consider that after that, Xander and Willow never had problems with being just friends ever again. So why did they have to mess it up?

And all the storylines are connected by Spike's attempt to get Drusilla back, it's truly a great episode!
  • Love hurts

6.7
    a good episode about love. spike is back becuase drusilla dumped him. angel and buffy cant be friends and willow and ander kiss and oz and cordelia see thme kissing.

the episode is very like normal episodes. nothing special. but i felt so bad for cordelia and angel. they should jsut go out together and forget xander and buffy, right?
  • All the Scoobies are having relationship problems. Even the undead have relationship problems! Spike decides to try and solve his problems by having Willow cast a love spell to make Dru fall madly in love with him again.

Lover's Walk is the Buffy the Vampire Slayer chick flick. I’m not one to really get into the relational part of stories, but this episode does such an effective job that I felt my heart was being wrenched out as the characters I have learned to love were going through their heart-wrenching relational problems.

While I would recommend that girls keep a box of Kleenexes close during this episode, it does not mean that there is no fun to have. Spike is back in town and comical as ever. Spike's twice-told tale of Dru making out with the slimy Chaos Demon made me laugh both times it was told. Spike has never been that effective as a bad guy, but he is effective as comic relief.

This episode stands out in the fact that it has great continuity and works well into the overall Buffy story arc as well as being a great standalone episode. A theme could have been drawn from both Willow and Spike's ill conceived attempt to use magic to solve their relationship problems, but that theme was not really developed. This episode was more about making you feel what the characters were feeling than making a point.

We get our best glimpse of the Mayor thus far. He is shaping up to be a very entertaining bad guy. All the great things going for this episode earn it high marks, but five separate complicated plots about romantic relationships bog down the story. I give it 7 out of 10.

-Matthew Miller
    Find this review and more at tv.swingthesickle.com
  • Willow and Xander\'s love reveilled

...I thought that although it was somewhat predictable...it did lay out the end of the relationship between Xander and Willow. And left with a surprise ending of Cordelia not only having a injured heart, but now and injured body. I also love Spike\'s intervention with Buffy\'s and Angel\\\'s feelings. Explaining to them that they really love each other wheather they wanted to hear it or not. It was time for them to stop this denial stage. And spike\'s statement of revielling that he was open to the fact of being \"Love\'s B**ch\" was brilliant. This was a very good show!
  • Love's B*tch...

Spike: "You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love 'til it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other 'til it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's b*tch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it."

So this is the first episode that I really kinda took a liking to Spike. I get that he is still supposed to be the big bad, but even as a vampire he still has some feeling and a good point. It seems that no couple is happy at the end of this episode. Willow and Xander get caught in the factory and with no one around start making out. Enter Oz and Cordy who see this. Cordy gets hurt trying to run away and later wants nothing to do with Xander. Also Buffy pushes away from Angel knowing they can never be close again. So love does suck.
  • Spike is back!

If you like Spike, you can\'t hate this episode. This have been a favourite for a long time now and i have never become tired of this episode (But i think I\'m starting to be..). Spike returns to Sunnydale becaus Drusilla has dumped him. He kidnaped Willow and Xander so Will can do a love spell so Drusilla will love Spike again. A sad ending too :( Everyone split up because Willow and Xander is making up when Cordy and Oz arrive to the factory. Cordy got a metal-thing in her stomach too :/ Poor her. A great episode! Btw, It\'s always funny when Angel and Spike are jealous of each others.
  • Willow's magical efforts to end her fling with Xander are interrupted by Spike's only Season Three appearance. The great dialogue almost, but not quite, makes up for the complete lack of a plot.

"Lover's Walk" is a good episode, but not a great one. It hardly slows down the momentum of Season Three, but as a standalone it's not as strong as many of the episodes that surround it. Part of the problem is that James Marsters' guest performance is so terrific that it overshadows the work of the regulars, all of whom are playing rather down notes at this point in the season. In some ways it resembles a sixth- or seventh-season episode with its heavily reliance on long talky scenes and a completely arbitrary fight thrown in at the climax.

Season Three is easily the best year of "Buffy" for high concept shows. There's "The Wish," "Lover's Walk," "Earshot," "Band Candy," "Doppelgangland," you name it. "Lover's Walk" on the other hand has no hook whatsoever. A lot of it feels like positioning for the still long-off changes of Season Four. By laying the framework here for the exits of Angel and Cordelia to that other show, the rest of the third season is freed up to concentrate on Faith and the Mayor. And Wesley! To make up for the complete lack of any sort of meaningful conflict or theme, the writers install Spike back in Sunnydale, give him a bottle of whiskey and a broken heart, and let him go to work. This device alone saves the episode. "Lover's Walk" is a necessary step in the evolution of Spike from a solid recurring villain to a crucial regular. Marsters lights up the screen as he swings from self-pity to nostalgia to philosophy. He evens gets to be scary for one of the last times on "Buffy," terrorizing Willow with a broken bottle. That scene with Alyson Hannigan is the only one in the episode where any of the Season Three regulars really matches Marsters' intensity. It's a scene that's recalled and eclipsed (and referenced to) by the classic Spike/Willow impotence gag in Season Four's "The Initiative."

Sadly, almost everything in "Lover's Walk" that doesn't have Spike in it is subpar. The mayor's single scene is flatly written and seems only placed to fill time and retroactively impose Wilkins' presence into Season Two's continuity. Neither is really necessary. Willow and Xander's dithering about their illict relationship is no fun to watch. Their attraction was something that the writers had to handle, but how the whole scenario would play out was obvious from the start and it's not very exciting watching the inevitable play out. It seems terribly unfair to Cordelia, as well, to have the most immediate consequence of Willow and Xander's affair be Cordy's rebar skewering. Charisma Carpenter is underused in Season Three, save in episodes like "Homecoming" and "The Wish" here and there. With all of the other threads working at this point, you can see how that happened, but she deserved a better send-off.

The other (literal) dead man walking here is Angel. To all intents and purposes, "Becoming" put paid to any thoughts of Buffy and Angel's long-term future. There are some things you don't come back from, and even if Angel managed to escape hell, he and Buffy as a couple never will. Especially in comparison to James Marsters' wild-eyed performance in "Lover's Walk," David Boreanaz really seems to be going through the motions here until he can get out of Sunnydale and get on with his own show. After watching "Angel" Season Five I went back to "Lover's Walk" expecting to see some more of the amazing interplay Boreanaz and Marsters have when they're both on their game, but it simply doesn't materialize here. Like practially every other Buffy/Angel romantic scene in Season Three, the early college discussion and the closing confrontation between the two are dreadfully tiresome. It's over. Angel is a great character and his future's all in front of him but for the whole of "Buffy" Season Three, he's got one foot out the door and it shows.

"Lover's Walk" is not a bad outing. Quite good, actually, with a ton of good quotables, from "we don't stock leprosy" to Spike's great "love is blood" monologue. Compared to many of the latter-day all talk/no plot "Buffy" episodes, it blows stuff like "Into the Woods" and two-thirds of Season Seven completely out of the water. It's a funny thing, though. The only thing really keeping "Buffy" Season Three from being the show's banner year is the lack of Spike. But the one episode of Season Three that does have Spike in it is by and large one the year's weaker efforts. Oh well.
  • Spike comes back to Sunnydale drunk, heartbroken and without Dru. He hopes to change that when he realizes that Willow can do a love spell.

I love James Marsters. Spike is a wonderful creation full of funny one liners, snarky sniping at anyone in range and yet can be menacing and scary on a moment's notice.

In this episode, Willow decides to cast an anti-love spell on her and Xander to stop them from illicite smoochies started back in 'Homecoming' when they saw each other in evening wear. When she goes to the Magic Shop for supplies, Spike is there and when he overhears her conversation with the clerk (oops...another Magic Shop worker left dead) he decides to force her to cast a love spell instead... one that will win him back Dru.

James is quite menacing when he's threatening to shove a broken bottle in Willow's face. But every other place once he pressures Angel and Buffy into helping him get supplies is full-on funny. He has some great moment snarking at the other two, and we get the famous "love's b***h" monologue, of course.

The ending is a heartbreaker as Cordelia and Oz catch Willow and Xander in the act of making out (due to an imminent death exception to their 'no more smootches' deal). There's also a clever fake-out regarding Cordy.
  • 'I may be love's b!tch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.'

Love in sunnydale. My only problem with this episode was that it started way too soap-y with all those love stories. But thankfully, it ended powerfully and well written. While this isn’t a Buffy masterpiece, it’s still excellent.

Another point of the episode is bringing back Spike, while I don’t like his character so much he was quite enjoyable in this one. His obsession over Dru delivered some great scenes and ofcourse his talk with Joyce.

Poor Joycie, she’s always confused. Now she finally learned about Angel being back which doesn’t make her feel a lot more comfortable.

But anyhow, the episode was also about Buffy’s possibilities to move on. Her test scores are even higher than Willow and now that Faith is going all slayer-y she can take her place for Buff.

Meantime Will and Xander are having trouble staying away from each other so Willow decides to do an anti-love spell. But Spike overhears it and decides to use Will to make Dru come back to him. He abducts both and puts them in the old factory.

Spike eventually hooks up with Buffy and Angel who are having trouble with taking their hands off each other/ Spike tells them that they will never be friends no matter what, and guess what. He’s right.

Anyway, while Cor and Oz look for their loves, Xander and Willow begin with the smooching. Naturally they are caught /exactly/ when they are kissing and Cordy runs with disgust on the stairs and falls into a big hole and looks as if she died.
    But Joss and his followers always like to trick people that way, Cordy didn’t die but the downside is that she doesn’t forgive Xander and when he visits her she tells him to stay away from her.

Same with Angel and Buffy, after Spike realised he was being pathetic he goes back to make Dru love him again and leaves our heroes broken. Buffy realise that she will never be friends and tells Angel that she can’t see him anymore, he doesn’t need her and it’s better for them to stay away from each other.

3 beautiful relationships gone, which is a shame. Specially the Cordy/Xander one that never gets recovered again.
    ‘Lover’s Walk’ was a pretty good emotional episode with a few less interesting storylines. But it doesn’t fail.
  • Spike returns - nuff said

Everyone is getting their SAT scores back and starting to imagine what they will do after high school. Even Buffy has done better than expected, and is feeling torn between the normal life of a college student and her slayer responsibilities.

Spike returns, drunk and heartbroken over his break-up with Drusilla. His truce with Buffy in the second season was too much, and she has moved on with other demons. Spike kidnaps Willow in order to have her make a love potion for Drusilla. He takes Xander, too, and threatens to kill him if Willow doesn't help. This leads to a very awkward moment as Cordelia and Oz come to their rescue, only to find them kissing. Cordelia runs away but falls through some rickety stairs, injuring herself in the fall. At the hospital, she sends Xander away.

I was so happy to have Spike return. Spike and Drusilla were my favorite big bads, and Spike becomes an integral part of the Buffyverse. He delivers the best speech of the episode, in my opinion. "You're not friends, you'll never be friends. You'll be in love til it kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag and you'll hate each other til it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends."

Spike leaves at the end to seek out Drusilla and win her back through bondage and torture. Ahh, love.
  • It's the return of... oh no wait, you're kidding. He didn't say what I think he did, did he?

Spike is back by popular demand. And why shouldn't he be? He's one of the best things about the second series, if not about the show.
    Here we see Spike at his lowest. Dumped by Drusilla it seems that there's nothing cool about him anymore. He's sorta pathetic really. But that's where the real beauty of Spike lies. Yes, he is pathetic... but he's not going to just stand around and do nothing.

He kidnaps Willow and attempts to make everything like it was. Spike goes on a journey of self discovery, and takes along the Scooby Gang, kickin and screaming. Spike is the voice of truth, the voice of instinct, maybe even the voice of nature. He tells it like it is, and the others have no choice but to listen. Because he's loud and most of the time he does have a point. He is also a fun character and everybody loves to laugh. The bit where he mimicks attacking Joyce is gut busting funny.
    He's love's bitch and maybe that's why the public loved him. Because we all feel like that sometime. And we all want to have the guts to kidnap a witch to make it all better. But alas, Spike is one of a kind. And how I enjoyed this episode which developed his character so good.
  • "Now that was fun! Don’t tell me that wasn’t fun!" - Spike

This episode almost turns out to be "What’s My Line" Part 3 as Buffy’s hard SATs work pays off and she realises that she has more options in life than just staying in Sunnydale and working at a fast food joint (ahem). Buffy, thinking about remaining in Sunnydale, acts all mature and starts talking about her slaying responsibilities, but we know the real reason she wants to stay, it’s (mmmm) Angel. I suppose that’s fair enough, Drusilla wanted to remain on the hellmouth to be near the Vampire with/without/with a soul as well. I suppose a chaos demon seemed a better option than being hit over the head and kidnapped every time your boyfriend wasn’t getting his own way. But – yay – Spike! in all of his dark comedic glory (“If at first you don’t succeed, I’ll kill him and you’ll try again”): the “shell of a loser”, the wind up merchant, the catalyst. I don’t know if they’d already decided to bring back Spike for Season 4, but this episode shows what great potential he has, as a character and an actor.

So whereas Spike is pathetic, getting drunk and (literally) sunburnt, Angel is reading "La Nausée", in the original French, and pining after Buffy. He and the Buffster are not dealing with their feelings; Willow and Xander are, but not very well. Their emotions are not helped by the fact that the non-Scoobs are being adorable to the Scoobs. Cordelia even agrees to do something she doesn’t want to (bowling) just because she loves Xander. Willow’s answer is to do a spell, a tactic she comes to rely upon again and again. Anguish is not something Willow can bear. Xander gets one thing right when he asks her “Do you really need to resort to the dark arts to keep our hormones in check?”

Attempting to do the spell gets Willow and Xander into trouble, although not the kind of difficulty one would assume, as Spike knocks out Xander and kidnaps the two of them (bit of a leitmotiv there for Spike). Still, at least he didn’t kill them, unlike the magic shop owner who is the second of her kind to bite the dust. It seems a little foolish of Spike to kidnap the Slayer’s best friends, but I suppose he was drunk enough and desperate enough. Ironically, the two spells never get done – Willow and Xander are cured by the horror of Cordelia’s impaling and the shock of being discovered kissing, Spike is cured by talking through his problems with first Willow, then Joyce and by a few bursts of ultra-violence.

Spike is comedy gold in his scenes with Joyce – “Our love was eternal, literally….have you got any of those little marshmallows?” – especially when he is making bad boy vamp gestures behind her neck as Angel is trying to get into the Summers’ house. The plot falls down a little as Buffy and Angel team up with Spike - surely either of them would have beaten him up to find out where Willow and Xander were hidden, or even given him over to Faith whilst they searched for the canoodling couple. But then the viewers wouldn’t get quotable Spike: “We killed a homeless main on this bench. Those were good times”. Buffy is forced into the second of many alliances with Spike as the Mayor’s vamp-goons attempt to kill him. Interesting that the Mayor feels that Spike is enough of a threat to want to take out, but Buffy and Faith aren’t? Also – minigolf. But who doesn’t love minigolf?

Violence and love are inextricably linked for Spike, maybe because of the way he fell for Drusilla when she killed him, and the balls-against-the-wall fight invigorates him out of his self-pity and into action “I’ll find her, tie her up and torture her until she likes me again”. His talk about love being blood, not brains, is part-manipulation of Buffy and Angel and part-truth. As he is outside of the gang, he can see more clearly, and he knows that Buffy and Angel will never be friends. Lust doesn’t have friends – he is horrified that Dru wanted to be chums, whereas Xander and Willow’s attempt to be pals whilst snogging in secret doesn’t work. Spike wanted Dru to kill him rather than leave him and at one point it looks as if Xander is going to do the same to Cordy. The stake (almost) through the heart shows Xander exactly what he has done to his girlfriend. The graveyard scene is annoyingly contrived, but Cordy in the hospital, pale and vulnerable is much more affecting. Spike may have taken Xander and Willow hostage, but they (and Oz and Cordelia) have taken his pain; they are feeling what he was feeling, but it’s not a hurt that can be cured by a spot of light kidnapping ‘n’ killing. The effects are more far-reaching:- not only do Xander and Cordelia never get back together, but the seeds of Buffy and Angel’s future split have been sown. Everyone is miserable by the end of the episode, except Spike who may be “love’s bitch”, but “at least I’m man enough to admit it”. He did it *his* way.
< 1 2