Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Mar 31, 1997 on The WB

• she is the strangest girl!

I really like this episode. I guess, more than other four that came before this one. and I am kinda surprised that others find it not that good. it is full of fun as always. but another thing is that here we can see Buffy realizing her destiny and making the right choice, the difficult one... and the late one -- well, as it's said: "better late than never".

plus, who could figure out before the very end that the Anointed One was that cute little kid??? I mean, well, now, re-watching "Buffy" like for the third or forth time I can see where it's coming from "And the Slayer will not know him, will not stop him", but back in 1998 I was shocked (I guess, it's the right word).

so I think this episode is not pointless or smth like that. it shows Buffy's development and the Master's plan for the freedom.

FAVE SCENE: Willow and Xander help Buffy to dress fot the date with Owen.

FAVE QUOTE: Giles: Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn't mean at the same time.
  • And now we take a break from psychoanalyzing Xander so we can get back to the star of our show.

In "Never Kill A Boy On The First Date," Buffy meets Owen, a hulking, sensitive lad who reads poetry and is impressed that Buffy spends so much time in the library. Giles, who's already down on Buffy for not taking her mission seriously enoughtoo much quippery for his tastewants Buffy to step up her night patrols until they can discern what the Master has in store for Sunnydale. But Buffy insists she deserves a night out. "Clark Kent has a job," she says. "I just want to go on a

I like the writers exploring this side of Buffy, but my only real qualm about Episode Five is that the four episodes that preceded it didn't do enough to establish our heroine as person with normal teenage tastes and desires. We know from the two-part premiere that Buffy at least claims to crave stability, and we know she's got a store of pop culture references at the ready. We also know that Angel makes her weak at the knees. But I found her crushing on some random bookwormno matter how rugged-looking and sweet-naturedto be a little contrived. Why would she be into Owen and not, say, Xander, who has a lot of the same qualities and knows about her double life? Has Buffy even picked up the obvious cues that Xander likes her?

That said, I enjoyed the plotting of this episode, which involved the classic superhero's dilemma: how to have an everyday life when the bad guys never seem to take a night off. While Buffy is canoodling with Owen at The Bronze, Giles stumbles into a nest of vampires, and is saved only because Xander and Willow are keeping tabs on him, and are able to drag Buffy and Owen away from making moony-eyes at each other so that she can do her job. And how does Owen react when he realizes what his prospective girlfriend can do? He's into it. Too into it. Turns out, the bookworm is addicted to danger. And perhaps because that hits too close to home for Buffy, she gives him the brush, for good.

Forced premise aside, there was a lot to like in "Never Kill A Boy," including Angel chastising Buffy for doing something so mundane as dating, and evangelicizing serial-killer-turned-vampire Andrew Borba muttering "pork and beans" in the middle of one of his rambling sermons, and the final reveal that The Master's "Anointed One" is an innocent-looking little boy.

But though he doesn't have much to do in the episode, Xander has some of the best moments, including critiquing the school lunch thusly: "I think it's kale. Or possibly string A minute later, in the same scene, he has the episode's one laugh-out-loud line, after Buffy fumes at him for asking, "How did the slaying go last night?" in the middle of the cafeteria. Stumbling to recover, Xander says, "Uh, I mean, how did the laying go?" No, I don't mean that
  • Mortuary Date

Despite how unbelievable the circumstances were to Buffy getting her first date, it was even more so that the boy would think going to the mortuary for the date would be a good idea and then that he turned out to be an adrenaline junky. It was shaky at best, but it was great development on Buffy's end in knowing when to call it quits on a relationship that isn't going to work out. And points to Giles for not going the "I told you so" route.
  • Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

"Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" is the initial exploration of Buffy's double life. It briefly touches upon her wants, needs, and the burden of sacrificing said wants and needs for others. This makes the episode one of the few in S1 that has notable lasting relevance to the series to come. While it's a decent outing for S1, it shouldn't be mistaken for a masterpiece. We get into all of that and more after the break.

Giles points out that "maintaining a normal social life is problematic at best." This is what the episode then goes out to show us first hand and is the first lesson of many Buffy will learn surrounding the subject. One of the biggest things driving Buffy as a character in much of the high school years is her desire to have this "normal life." It's not really until "Helpless" (when she temporarily loses her powers) that she comes to accept even embrace -- the reality of her life with a sense of finality.

The character of the week, Owen, plays into all of this about as well as he can (more on that later). Owen tells Buffy at the Bronze that "there are a lot more important things in life than dating." This initially causes Buffy a moment of sadness but is quickly followed by a glance at her pager to see if Giles needs her 'fun and acceptance' versus 'sacrifice and isolation,' a duality that Owen detects in Buffy and finds quite fascinating (as he should!), albeit for all the wrong reasons. It's fun that the episode draws attention to this duality and begins to better define it.

Towards the end of the episode we see that Owen still thinks Buffy is cool, but mostly because he thinks she's a danger queen. Not only does he want to be around her for the wrong reasons, but Buffy comes to realize that nurturing this interest of his would only lead to getting him killed. Buffy realizes that Owen simply doesn't belong in her world and that she can't indulge her impulse to be with him. This is when Giles has a beautiful segue back to what the episode is really about: responsibility and sacrifice. Being chosen makes for a unique and difficult life, and this is one of the very first times Buffy comes to understand what that means for her, despite her many early-series attempts to fight it. This scene is a fabulous early bonding moment between the two of them, and I appreciate how it resonates particularly with the finale, "Prophecy Girl" [1x12]. Giles is just so understanding of Buffy, and it's wonderful to hear him share that with her.

An interesting aside is that, in the opening of the episode, Giles chastises Buffy for being a bit too colorful in how she slays. Buffy protests with a sarcastic response that alludes to the fact that, while colorful, she's getting the job done. This 'technique versus emotion' exchange is particularly interesting in light of Kendra ("What's My Line? Pt. 2" [2x10]) and Faith ("Faith, Hope, and Trick" [3x03]). In the end, balance between the two styles is ideal, although here in S1 we can see that Buffy has a ways to go in achieving that.

As much as I appreciated the little thematic touches, not all of "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" is as introspective and relevant. There are some basic problems here that really dragged on the episode. For one, I just don't buy Buffy's sudden interest in Owen, who seems nave, quiet, and a bit book-wormy. There is the brooding factor and his looks, both of which he apparently shares with Angel, but I think it's more the sense of mystery that Buffy's attracted to rather than the raw brooding. It just doesn't strike me that Buffy would get all excited over him. Even worse, Cordelia suddenly also going after Owen right after Buffy's started talking to him was way, way too scripted and forced for me. Then, of course, in typical S1 fashion, there's the problem of the character that shows up just for one episode that is given way too much focus and drama considering you never see him again.

To top off my complaints, the entire sequence at the funeral home really didn't do anything for me, the vampires are completely lame, the action isn't all that exciting, and the fake-out death of Owen was done pretty poorly. I can't say I was thrilled with the bus sequence either, which rubbed off as far more silly and boring than scary.

While "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" is certainly rough in spots, it has the right intentions and is certainly better than most of what you get out of the season. In of itself it's not all that exciting, but taken within the context of the entire series its core theme actually does have some modest relevance. All in all this is an overall enjoyable step in the right direction for the series in these very early, formative stages.
  • An episode that has a point.

What I really like about this episode is that it has a point. It's not just a random monster-of-the-week filler episode like the previous one "Teacher's Pet". In this episode, we're introduced to the Anointed One, someone who will help the Master escape his confinement.

As well as the story arc of this season's big bad, we are introduced to what dating is like to a teenaged vampire slayer, and it's not easy. Buffy has a crush on Owen, a cute, quiet, and sensitive boy at her school. He asks her on a date, twice actually, but every time she's interrupted with slayer duties (like trying to stop the Anointed One from coming) as well as trying to hide it all from Owen.

I really love the twist that is shown in this episode. I'm sure everyone thought that the Anointed One would end up being that very beefy, intimidating man who was then vamped and attacked Owen and the gang at the funeral home. But it ended up being the little boy who was on the bus where the vampire massacre took place.

Can I also mention the way Giles represents some sort of father figure in this episode and I love it? Giles does end up becoming this father figure for Buffy throughout the seasons, but I love his reactions towards her when he finds out she's dating. Especially since her mother Joyce doesn't seem to make an appearance.

All in all, this is a great episode. Very high quality in terms of writing, although some of the lines were quite cheesy. I'm exciting to get to the later seasons where the cheesiness is less.
  • Never Kill a Boy on a First Date

The Good;

Great misdirection, you really never figure who the annointed is whilst Vorba is a truly frightening figure. Cordy and Buffy fighting over Owen is FANTASTIC! The fight at the funeral home is also excellent. And how often do you see 'Emily Dickenson' in a US teen show? (almost impresses Giles) The lovely scene between Buffy and Giles at the end. Buffy's green and white dress doesn't make her look fat but does make her look like a brazen hussy. The changing scene with Buffy, Willow and Xander is also funny

The bad;

So, when a vamp disolves why do it's clothes disintegrate and the ring etc doesn't? I always thought the idea was when a vamp dies the body returns to a natural state of decomposition but that doesn't seem the case as even newly made vamps dust.

Best line; (after Cordy knocks the cup over) "Boy, Cordelia's hips are wider than I thought!" OOOOOOOHHHH!

The classic; "Bite me!"

Cordy upon seeing Angel "Hello salty goodness!" (which are also her first words as an amnesiac in Spin the Bottle upon sighting Angel/Liam)

Observations and questions;

We never see Owen again although he appears in a lot of the establishing shots of Sunnydale High. I guess the show only has room for one brooding loner guy? Check out Willow's expression when she and Xander pretend to be a couple. Also Willow digs Owen which is more grounds to assume she's bisexual rather than just lesbian. Someone actually borrows a book from the library? Giles must have had to sit down with shock. Being a Watcher seems to run in famillies

Good ep, 3 and a half out of 5

• Buffy secures a date with Owen, a brooding hunk from high school who she has got the hots for. Unfortunately, Giles has predicted a prophecy of extreme danger to arise on the very same night! Not my favourite plot-wise, but a very good episode...

This review contains spoilers.

This episode concentrates on how being the Slayer conflicts with Buffy wanting to live a normal teenage life. To be honest, this sort of thing was never particularly my favourite element of the series (if I wanted teen angst, I'd watch one of the numerous other "good looking American teen dramas" around), but in complete fairness, it is cleverly woven together plays out very well, and I bought into it much more than I did with some of the later such examples in the show.

...And again in fairness, this episode gets the balance right, juggling between Buffy's social life, and her responsibilities as a Slayer, particularly as it is the eve of the rising of the Anointed One.

As with so many 'Buffy' episodes, it is not just the plot itself that works, but the many wonderful lines and moments, of which there are many in this episode. I love Giles commenting that Buffy taking out an Emily Bronte book is cause for "...a national holiday"; his revelation at the end that, when he was told at a young age of his destiny to be a Watcher, he was planning to be "a jet fighter pilot... or a grocer"; and Xander comparing Owen's gold pocket watch to his own Tweety Pie watch!
    ...In fact, there are so many great Xander moments in this story full stop (including picking out the most unsuitable costume for Buffy's date; and trying to put Owen off of her) – I'd almost forgotten just how funny the character was in the first couple of seasons.

Also of note is that, after a couple of pretty much "stand alone" episodes, the overall season story arc picks up, regarding the Master, and the arrival of the Anointed One – and I love the whole red herring that the Anointed was not the seemingly obvious apocalypse-spouting goon, but in fact the small boy!
    It is also a welcome to relief that Owen doesn't turn out to be some kind of monster, which one possibly might have expected (as some kind of lazy plot device) when watching this episode for the first time.

The whole Buffy/Owen thing is obviously doomed ultimately – they agree to remain friends (a nice twist is that Owen actually enjoyed his danger-filled night), but needless to say, Owen is never seen again in the series. I suppose this element of the episode played out well, and they didn't turn up the "feel sorry for Buffy dial" too high which – as mentioned in some of my reviews for previous episodes – put me off some later stories a bit.

All-in-all, this is definitely not my favourite plot for the series, but the episode plays out well enough, and its main grace is that it has so many great lines. I give this one a respectable 9/10.
  • First of many great Buffy episodes

In my opinion, this was the first great Buffy episode. It really delved into the whole teen angst thing as well as continuing with the great dialog, story telling and music. Velvet Chain played two great songs, and the episode ended with a great song by Kim Richey ("Let the Sun Fall Dowsn"). There were many clever and humorous lines of dialog in the episode and it continue to move the Angel story line along. The show really seemed to hit it's stride with this episode (in only the 5th episode). The only things that really detract from the good first season episodes are the low budget sets and effects.
  • And now back to the vampires

The next crazy scheme to bring the master to the surface.

bring some Vampire together to raise another vampire to get the master out of the cave.

So Buffy likes some guy at her school who is a big romantic type whole likes reading poetry and long walks on the beach. And then Cordelia starts hitting on him but then he asks Buffy out.

But She can't go to the date because Giles drags her away to the cemetry to sit around to wait for vampires. meanwhile the date is at the club dancing with Cordelia. Finally she goes on a date and Giles decides to go to crypt late at night to find Vampires their and then he runs away and hides in a room. meanwhile Xander and Willow magically appear at window and run off to get Buffy, I wish just once one of the other characters would grow a hairy chest and kick some but.

Buffy arrives at the crypt and finds Giles hiding in freezer. with a corpse - make note that they check the freezers later and there was one there with no body in it. So why Giles got in the one with the body is kind of creepy and I don't want to think about it too much.

So the date follows Buffy and they all end up being chased by a bigger vampire. Buffy kicks him into a fire and they all live to see another day. But Buffy can't date the guy anymore because he likes to help her battle vampires. So Willow and Xander are ok but boyfriends are not.

Ok next episode.
  • Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date was great. It showcased Buffy's attempt at dating like a normal teenager, but it never quite works out. Giles had to consult his books, and this isn't the last time! This show is so great, and this episode is a great example. Full of witty, and some times campy humor the gang keeps us laughing. The bad guys take on a real tone of seriousness, and its almost believable that they are real and exist. This is true of the good guys too of course. This and other episodes are the ground work for more complex story lines and episodes in the future.
  • A little Jealosy in the Air.

This is a good episode that reflects on Buffy's struggle with her Slayer duties and that of a normal teenage girl. It also shows one of the first hints that Angel feels something more for Buffy than just Allies. It is also the introduction of the Masters Right-Hand-Man, The Anointed One, which involves a twist on who the actual Anointed One is when Buffy mistakenly kills the wrong vampire and at the end we discover that the actual Anointed One is Collin the little kid. It also shows a twist which shows the boy that Buffy likes accepting the danger that comes with her, only to have her decide that she doesn't want to be with him. This episode is good with all of the twist and turns.
  • Season 1, Episode 5.

I enjoyed this episode for a few reasons. The number one reason of course was because Owen is HOT! Oh my! Also, I think Sarah Michelle Gellar looked good as always. Another reason I liked this episode was because it focused on Buffy's personal life too. It was just not like the other episodes. This episode seemed to be all about Buffy liking and going on a date with Owen. I liked how it showed how she tries to balance her regular life and dating Owen. The Master is so weird and ugly though! I cannot wait for him to finally be slain. Cool episode.
  • Never Kill A Boy on the First Date

6.9
    I thought this episode was really good. Not my favorite from Season 1 but still good. This would be the first time that Buffy "date" on the show. It was also nice seeing Buffy stand up to Cordy a little bit as in past episodes, Cordy always made fun of Buffy and the gang.

The best part of this episode would be the funeral home part. Finally someone beside the "Scooby Gang" saw a vampire with them but dont remember it.

Like I said, not the best episode of Season 1 but it was a good episode and it had it moments.

I also liked the little Xander haves a crush on Buffy storyline but I dont like the "child" storyline which is why I did not rate this episode higher.
  • Buffy is torn between her duty as a Slayer and dating a cute boy named Owen.

Rob Des Hotel and Dean Batali should never have been hired as Buffy writers. They very rarely hit the mark with their episodes. This was a very frivolous instalment that had the potential to be very good. The villains are arch, and nowhere near as threatening as they could have been. The Owen and Buffy relationship is very forced and Charisma Carpenter produces a weak performance as Cordelia. Like with most of Season One, the cheese factor is very prominent and the film quality is less than desirable. Worth sitting through only for a beautiful scene between Buffy and Giles at the end. Overall: very unsatisfying episode that reeks of unfulfilled potential.
  • Buffy... dating isn't for you

7.9
    This episode gives us Angel, The Master, and The Anointed One (that kid) and it still falls pretty hard. At this point the show needed to stay consistent and it really didn't with this episode. Surprisingly it is one of the few episodes that gives plot development... but the main plot just wasn't very good. Buffy dating that guy and the whole scenario just wasn't to appealing. It had a high cheese factor. Angel's characters slowly progresses but nothing really. I still love The Master and the Anointed One is a very important development but overall not my favorite one. Sorry Buffy ;(
  • Never Date A Slayer, Period!

7.2
    Never Kill a Boy on the First Date-Yearning for a normal life, Buffy agrees to a date with the mysterious and brooding Owen. Giles discovers a prophecy of coming danger which would interfere with her plans, but she chooses Owen over battling the forces of darkness. When Giles goes out on his own and is trapped by a group of vampires, Buffy must figure out a way to balance dating and Slaying.

Not the most exciting episode (as most the first season episodes are) but what it does well is watching Buffy for the first time trying to balance being a normal 16 year old and being slayer at the same time. Sarah does well by playing Buffy's frustration of being a 16 year old and having this respeonsibilty yet just wanting to have fun. Owen, played by Christopher Wiehl, is in no way an interesting character and pretty feels like a plot device to the episode. But like I said it's interesting to watch Buffy trying to be balance her 2 lives. Of course, her friends and Giler make her understand Owen will never get her being the slayer but Buffy is just trying to live like a normal 16 year old just for one night, is that so much to ask?

The plot with the Anointed One is slightly boring and the fight at the morge with the vamp-out psycho demon doesn.t help. But the better parts of the episode is The Master, who severely underused for a first big villain, but that of course is due to a half a dozen episodes. Also, I love Cordelia's trying to hit on every guy who turns out to be with Buffy like Cordelia seeing Angel for the first time with her "hello, salty goodness." Then Xander's continuing to try to ruin Buffy's date with his jealousy.

In the end, the Anointed One turns out to be a kid which is sad, since the he is not at all threating for the rest of his existence. All and All, a, entertaining episode with great dialogue besides a weak plot.
  • ew. a pointless episode if i ever saw it. the one BtVS episode i DON'T like.

1.1
    NKBFD was truly painful to watch. This episode was a major disappointment. It is the one episode of buffy i really don't like, as in i actually hate it. it always seemed so pointless to me. a filler episode if their ever was one. I mean, i guess buffy needed a normal relationship to happen so she could realize it COULDN'T happen, but the storyline was weak. In Never Kill a Boy in the First Date, BtVS stops being the amazing show i love, and becomes some silly thing i wouldn't look twice at on flipping channels. However, every show is allowed a few bad episodes, and iam glad that BtVS's one bad episode is in the first season, and all the episodes to follow are amazing, like one one expect.
  • The earflaps bring out your eyes.

7.7
    - If the apocalypse comes, beep me! –

A pretty average Season One episode, ‘Never Kill A Boy On The First Date’ may not have the most original main plot, but as so often is the case with Buffy’s first episodes, the awesome dialogue and charismatic characters totally make up for it. And it has one kick-ass episode title. The entire story revolving The Master and his Annoying (sorry, Anointed) One, isn’t the most fun to watch, but it does bring the main arc of the season forward, and gives the Master some awesome scenes, which is always fun. I could care less about the bus crash and the vamps, but those events were crucial for the Season finale, and the ending was priceless.

No, the part of the episode that is interesting is Buffy and her attempts to have a romantic life. Her desperate attempts to go out on a date, and the jealousy of both Xander and Angel are hilarious. And speaking o Mr. Salty Goodness himself, David Boreanaz gives a good performance, something he hasn’t really done in the first few episodes of the series. I loved Cordy throughout the entire episode, and she gave us some funny one liners, as usual. I also enjoyed her rivalry with Buffy, something we will see more of as the series goes on.

There is, however, one part of the episode I don’t like, and I’m not talking about Cordy’s hair or Buffy’s outfit. No, I’m talking about Owen. I know, he is Buffy’s type: “dark and brooding” but he’s so frickin’ annoying, and I really don’t see all the fuzz about him. Besides that, the episode was a blast, and contained so many great quotes.

“Ok, at this point you’re abusing sarcasm”
    “A cranky slayer is a careless slayer”
    “I’m the slayer, ask me how”

All in all, ‘Never Kill A Boy…’ is a fun, albeit slightly slow-moving, episode, filled with great dialogue and character development.
  • No show is complete without the main female character having boy troubles.

Owen is quiet and hot and totally drool worthy. Naturally, Cordelia and Buffy fight over him, Buffy coming out as the winner. Although, I think Buffy shouldn’t run away just because her date is dancing with Cordelia, the Stealer of Boy Toys – er Dates. If she really wanted him, she should stand up and fight for him like a woman!

Anyway, the Anointed One was a pleasant surprise. I’m kind of glad that Buffy and the gang didn’t kill him because that would have been a little clichéd. The ranting lunatic really had me thinking it was him who was the Anointed One, not the kid.

It’s a pity Owen went all danger man when he was with Buffy and the gang fighting the vampires. He seemed like a cool guy. Then again, anyone I like ends up either dying or being kicked off the show for some reason or another.
  • Buffy tries to balance the her dating life with her duties as a slayer. Needless to say, things don't turn out how she would like.

This is a very amusing episode. It's very funny to watch Buffy try to go on a date with Owen Therman, the mysterious class hunk, and keep up with her slayer duties at the same time. This episode also introduces us to The Annointed One, a character who is relatively important in the arc of season one. This episode features another appearance by Angel (played of course by David Boreanaz). Any time Angel was featured in a season one episode, it made the episode more interesting.
  • He has 'Owenocity'

Buffy learns in this episode that it is hard to mix a social life and a slaying life. We got to see some great character interractions with Buffy and Cordelia, who not only gets snubbed by Owen but also Angel. Both mens attentions are squared on Buffy, and Cordelia just cannot understand why (stupid much?) Buffy accepts a date with Owen, much to Giles consternation and Xanders jealousy. As you can imagine, the date does NOT go as planned. The gang ends up at a mortuary with Owen tagging along. The upshot is that Buffy manages to get them all out alive. The bad side is that Owen wants to date her BECAUSE of her exciting new life and also....the Annointed (annoying) one has come (in the form of a little boy, no less)
  • My Mini Review...

4.5
    Best Scene:
    Giles and Buffy at the beginning in the graveyard, with Giles critising her slaying.

Worst Scene:
    In the funeral home. I didn't really like this 'family' outing. There reasoning to Owen about everything just didn't seem plausable. For him to believe it gave me the impression that he was very dim.

Funniest Moment:
    Its not exactly a moment more a storyline. The fact they every boy Corelia goes for in this episode Buffy gets there first.

Best Quote:
    This is one of my all time favourite Buffy quotes. Bringing slaying into the 21st century.
    Buffy: If the apocalypse comes, beep me.

Worst Quote:
    I'm not really sure which one I would put at the worst one. Its not that the dialouge in this one is bad, more just the storyline isn't one of my favourites. Episode Rating:

10th out of Twelve
  • A very funny episode

While Buffy tries to juggle dating and slaying Giles goes off in search of the annointed, the one who is prophecised to be the Slayer's down fall.

Watching Buffy look nervous whilst talking to Owen is funy to watch as it shows that although she has superhuman strength she is still vulnerable and doesn't want to be rejeted.

When Willow, Xander and Angel turn up at the Bronze in the middle of the episode and in the middle of Buffy's date it is a funny sight to see. Willow and Xander pretending to be a couple who are interested in double dating? And Angel a guy from work? It makes for very funny television when you know the back ground information. Hey let's go on a double date to the Sunnydale funerl home!
  • Funny lines and interesting plots!

"Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" is a great episode. The plot of Buffy wanting a normal life and as usual theres something brewing worked so well together! The Giles Buffy moments also are held dearly in the season 1 epi. The witty lines and funny frases ketch your attention and the false death is surprise worth watching! We get to see Buffy's more "normal" side that has to do with school and boys yet we also get the action we all love! There isn't too much drama which is nice and more relaxing and funny epi. to watch. This is a great real life Buffy episode!
  • Buffy has a crush

5.7
    a boring season 1 episode that is just tiresome. i hated owen and the main storyline of this episode. i liked cordelia because she was hilarious and her crush on owen and angel. also angel being jealous was great. not a very good episode but good enough to enjoy. because of cordelias jealousy that makes the first season good in the first place.
  • Buffy finds a boy who likes that she\'s dark, but that\'s not what she wants...

Another prophecy – the anointed one who is the Master’s greatest warrior and the Slayer’s greatest enemy will rise from the ashes of fiver dead. Giles warns Buffy that this is happening tonight but Buffy isn’t paying attention. She has a hot boy Owen who has asked her out so her priorities are not where they should be. Five die in a bus accident so Buffy and the gang have to go to the cemetery and funeral home to look at the recently dead. What Buffy doesn’t know is that Owen followed them there which is going to make their plan harder. They are met by vamps and they manage to kill the one from the accident whom Buffy is worried about without Owen understanding all that is happening. The next day Owen things that Buffy’s dark side is cool, but because she wants to be normal she tells him that she just wants to be friends. In the Master’s lair we see him talking to a small boy from the accident – the anointed one.
  • The beginning of Cordelia and Buffy fighting over a guy!

Okay defineatly an okay episode. Cordy and Buffy are so funny when they fight over guys. I loved how Buffy was all over reading Emily Dickenson when she found out that Owen read her and how she became a wacko when she was trying to talk to him. It was kinda cute and silly all at the same time which made it very interesting.

Buffy is also so adorable when she gets jealous of Cordelia. I loved her excuse that none of the clocks in her house worked and he gave her his watch.

Angel getting jealous of Owen at the Bronze was really good and I also enjoyed Willow and Xander when they were pretending that they were going out that was way cute too.

Pretty good episode.
  • Buffy has her first date on the Hellmouth.

Here is an episode that focuses on Buffy's (potential) love life, her duties as a Slayer, and how the two (don't) go together.

It opens with a now classic graveyard scene; Buffy dusting vamps whilst punning "We haven't been properly introduced. I'm Buffy and your history" and Giles being slightly "Mrs. Post"-like, telling her that, while her methods are good, she is "spending too much time and energy" getting the job done. The graveyard patrol leads to the discovery of a ring, left by a dusted vamp. This scene cuts to the Master (haven't seen you for a couple of weeks) who informs us of a prophecy: Buffy will face his "greatest weapon" yet, The Annointed One.

Buffy might be a little bit *more* annoyed than she usually would be about this, because it coincides with her first Sunnydale date: Owen. The "one-episode-appearance" guy that is Owen, is sweet, shy and thoughtful. He reads Emily Dickenson and he likes Buffy as opposed to Cordelia. In my opinion Owen is a lot better looking than Riley, Scott Hope and Parker. Although the fact that he doesn't seem bothered by Buffy's hideous green dress and boots combo, that amazingly (since Buffy herself asked) *does* make slim Sarah Michelle Gellar look a bit chunky! Even Xander seems to think so, "Has anyone given any thought to what this green stuff is?". Okay, he was talking about the jelly(or jello) but I was so put-off by her 60's-inspired ensemble that I thought he was commenting on that. Moving on...

"Never Kill a Boy on a First Date" provides us with many Cordelia moments. She likes Owen too, and shares a (misunderstood) dance with him to a song with very fitting lyrics, "Just a girl who knows no shame". Charisma is great in her scenes, "You are so good to help the needy" is her response to Owen, when he is dancing with Buffy. It seems that only in Sunnydale, where mysterious things happen, that a girl as annoyingly attractive as Cordelia has men troubles.

Xander has obviously not been put-off by women, despite his encounter with a She-Mantis, as he is still pining for Buffy. Poor Willow has to, not only put up with her all-time crush digging the slayer, but also help her get ready for a date with yet(it would seem to Willow) another male admirer! She is definately a good friend. Or a lesbian.

This is a good early-Giles episode. He provides much comic relief. I love the awkward scene at Buffy's house when he and Owen both turn up. Giles has to use his librarian role in order to not arouse suspicion with Owen. "You'll face a pretty hefty fine in the morning". I actually feel sorry for him when he goes off to face the danger on his own. But Giles in danger is nearly always quite funny, like his reaction to being surrounded by the Master's vamps. Simply, "damn"!

Joss really does know how to mislead his audience in the name of entertainment. Not only has he left Angel's identity safely guarded for all this time(and still continues to), but he tricks us into thinking that the Annointed One is the guy that obviously fits the bill; the preaching, disturbing guy that has been questioned for murders. We are not aware until the very end that the real Annointed One is in fact the little boy that was on the bus. Spooky.

Owen is conveniently left unaware of Buffy's unique identity, due to a nasty head injury and Willow and Xander's diversion efforts. Although, the situations it creates (late night explorations of funeral homes) are worryingly something that Owen has a taste for. Buffy, understandably, justs wants to be friends. However, her reason is that he doesn't like her for her, but for the danger that she poses. I guess we should be glad that it didn't work out between them, afterall, Angel is a real man (kind of) and although Owen is attractive, he's in no way as near to gorgeous as Mr. Boreanaz is. Also Owen's a bit camp. And weird. In fact, the only thing that I was left wanting to see from him was Buffy taking up his amusing offer of going, "down town at three in the morning, and pick(ing) a fight in a bar". What girl could refuse! But still, I had a great visual image of this!

This is a great episode that does many things at once. It continues with the on-going love triangle of Willow, Xander and Buffy, it shows us our first glimpse of Buffy trying to juggle dating and slaying, and it also moves the big bad Master plot forward(with that brilliant twist). But another thing that it does, which I really liked, was begin to establish the Buffy and Giles relationship.

Giles is revealed as someone who is not just a standard American-caricature of an Englishman. He is showing signs that, despite what his tweed-exterior may suggest, he is actually a loving and caring soul who, although at first it appears otherwise, does take an interest in Buffy's personal life. He notices Buffy's sadness at the exit of Owen and tells her of his own sacrifice in being a watcher, "I was ten years old when my father told me I was destined to be a Watcher" Buffy, realising the comparison to her own destiny asks, "Were you thrilled beyond all measure?" to which Giles replies, "No, I had very definite plans about my future. I was going to be a fighter pilot. Or possibly a grocer...My father gave me a very tiresome speech about, uh, responsibility and sacrifice". This "tiresome speech" is of course what Buffy herself is getting...from *her* father. Giles is not her biological one, but this sets up their future closeness very well, because ultimately, Giles will become pretty much the only parent that Buffy has.

Solid, exciting and amusing episode.
  • Buffy tries to have a social life, but her duties as a Slayer interfere.

Well not the best episode this season, of course Mark Metcalf portrays the master magnificent as he always does, but I'd rather have had him in a better episode.

The character of Owen is not very interesting, but Buffy dating him creates some fun moments in this episode especially with Coredelia because she to has a crush on this boy.

Besdides some humour and some continuation of the Master plot Never Kill a Boy on the First Date doesn't have much to offer.

The annointed one has a nice introduction because the Scoobies think they killed him, but then it turns out he's actually the little boy.

I had only hoped they used the annointed one a little more.
  • A few nice moments between our regulars

Another middle-of-the-road episode. Owen and his Owenosity didn\'t do much for me and I had a problem seeing what exactly Buffy was going gaa-gaa over too.

The prophecy about the anointed one was interesting, but it doesn\'t lead to very much making this episode pretty much unnecessary in the long run. The sting-ending when we think the Anointed is one person, when it turns out to be someone else is a nice moment. But again, the anointed one was supposed to be a great warrior or force for the Master to utilize and in the end he amounted to squat.
< 1 2