Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 24, 1998 on The WB

• Brilliantly Twisted

A breath taking episode with the most humanly sick and twisted display of Angelus in the arc. His level of obsession was brilliantly stomach churning from leaving drawings of Buffy in her room and delivering Willow her fish dead in an envelope to his doing a chilling impression of Angel for Joyce.

What was interesting about this episode was how the stalking showed us the flip side of the coin to Angelus' character, the darker form of his obsession with Buffy as opposed to what it is with his soul. It's shows how unhealthy obsession can be, humanity's greatest mental illness.

I also love Angelus' voice over lines in this episode.

"Passion. It lies in all of us. ... And though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws, and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we'd know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank... Without passion, we'd be truly
  • A near perfect episode

A near perfect episode.

No easy feat for weekly TV, which by its nature normally has to hold something in reserve.

Jenny Calendar's death was deeply moving. One saw it coming, yet one could not quite believe it was actually happening.

BTVS is normally an easy-going show. Entertaining, but light in mood. The heroes never die.

"Passion" was a dramatic departure from that norm. It was truly dark and disturbing. Jenny has her neck snapped. Giles expects a romantic evening but instead finds Jenny's corpse on his bed, her lifeless eyes staring into space.

Clearly the writer(s) decided to go for it. They killed off a major supporting character. Not a disposable "mook," but a truly likeable character whom we've grown to know and love.

I don't know what the writers intend for Angel. But for me, it's over. He can never be redeemed. Not after this. He needs to die.

I logged in intending to defiantly give this episode a 10 rating -- even if others panned it. I needn't have worried. One perfect 10 rating after another.
  • Passion

Wow. Simply...wow. The first time I saw this episode it left me completely numb for 15 minutes. Every single time I've seen it since I've felt not quite so much shock, but instead a hollow, cold feeling inside me. Spine-tingled, angered, and goosebump ridden can be added to that as well. There's a reason why this is one of the best episodes in the entire series. This episode is the first major shock of the series and represents the point where I was proud to own the S2 DVD set and proud to call myself a huge 'Buffy' fan.

It begins powerfully and ends powerfully, one of the very few BtVS episodes to do that. Most start out slow and build to a powerful conclusion. In this, we instead get creeped out by Angelus' perverted and sick mental torturing of Buffy and her friends. The opening scene is extremely creepy and, surprisingly, actually quite scary as Angelus is right on Buffy's bed, stalking her as she sleeps. When Buffy wakes up the next morning she finds a picture of her, drawn by Angelus, left on her pillow. All of this is so incredibly disturbing, I'm frankly surprised this doesn't freak Buffy out more. I know I'd be completely petrified had that happened to me.

In a important scene later on, Giles makes it clear to Jenny that he's not the person she has to make things right with. Basically, when Buffy decides to forgive Jenny, so will Giles. I love Giles' loyalty and pure devotion to Buffy, both as a Watcher and as a father figure. It is really good to see Jenny genuinely wanting to make up for her mistake by attempting recreate the curse to restore Angel's soul. Fortunately for her, Buffy gets past her anger to share with her the fact that Giles misses her, and that she doesn't want anyone to be alone. Buffy is essentially giving Giles permission to continue dating Jenny after what she did. This is extremely selfless of her and is incredibly pleasing to see.

Unfortunately, as Giles and Jenny begin piecing their relationship back together, everything else goes to hell. Angelus turns things up another notch by attacking Buffy's friends. He kills all of Willow's fish by sewing them together with a string and leaving them in a note on Willow's bed. Then he reveals that he and Buffy had sex to Joyce. Then he stops Jenny from getting the freshly translated curse to the Scoobies, which leads to a violently raw scene in the computer lab where Angelus smashes the Orb of Thesulah and threatens to kill Jenny. What follows is a scary and riveting chase scene that you always think is going to end with Buffy saving the day.

This show, however, is unique and decides to take a much darker, much riskier route by killing off a main character instead of taking the easy way out. Yes, Jenny wasn't in every episode, but she was certainly a main character. The neck snap is brutal, shocking, unambiguous, and completely earth shattering. Main characters can actually die in this show. This makes everyone's plight against evil after this is scary, tense, and gives the show a level of realism and depth rarely seen on television. All bets are off and anyone can be killed off now.

While Angelus is busy killing off Jenny, Willow is hanging out over at Buffy's place while Joyce has "the talk" about sex with Buffy. I think Joyce handles it pretty well in a very tender scene with Buffy. Buffy also responds exactly like she should and openly admits she made a big mistake in having sex with Angel. I don't think she's sorry just because he lost his soul either. I think she knows she wasn't quite ready for it yet either. This is obviously a lesson to not rush into having sex as there can be dire consequences. This isn't preaching, though, and it delivers an important message that sex is something that is meant for people with a relationship that is solid and supportable, and is not for the reckless.

As incredibly painful as it is to see Jenny Calendar's neck snapped by Buffy's ex-lover, the following scenes are, impressively, several times more painful to watch. Giles comes home expecting a romantic evening to reconnect with Jenny and what we, and he, gets instead is one of the most brutal, disturbing, and perverted things I've ever seen on television. Angelus not only kills Jenny Calendar, but he then uses her body to lead Giles into thinking he's going to have a romantic encounter is his room. Every time I see the rose on the door and Giles' big warm smile I cringe in pain. Angelus sets up everything: the opera, the rose, the wine, and the note that only says 'upstairs.' Giles warmly walks upstairs, ecstatic with the reality of reconnecting with Jenny after all that has happened. Instead he walks up to find Jenny's body carefully laid out on his bed, with her eyes left open, staring blankly at him. I don't have words to describe how evil and sick this is. This scene elicited the strongest emotional response from me ever before when watching film up to that point.

The pain and cruelty somehow still doesn't end here. The following, equally painful scene, involves Giles calling Buffy and telling her what happened. All we see is the reaction from Buffy as she collapses into a corner in disbelieving tears and Willow as she bursts into sobbing pain and sorrow in Joyce's arms. While all of this is happening, Angelus is just outside the window soaking in all of the suffering he's caused and taking pure, undiluted pleasure from the experience. It is during this scene that I actually want Buffy to kill Angelus for good. I don't care if Angel comes back or not anymore, this guy needs to be dusted, right away.

Giles, now in complete determination mode, gathers up his best weapons and takes off to kill Angelus. The Scooby Gang arrives at his house too late to stop him. Xander uses this as an opportunity to point out that he hopes Giles is able to kill Angelus and that he hated Angel long before anyone else. It's powerful and telling to see Buffy completely and unwaveringly agree. Buffy then runs to the factory to prevent Giles from getting himself killed. This involves a perfectly-executed and passionate fight scene that really delivers. What's more passionate, though, is the aftermath of the fight when Giles pushes Buffy off him and yells out, "Why did you come here!? This wasn't your fight!" Buffy punches him to the ground where she drops to her knees and simply hugs Giles tight as he weeps his heart out for Jenny.

While burying Jenny in the graveyard, Buffy apologizes with all her heart for not killing Angelus when she had the chance back in "Innocence" (2x14). What a massive price the group had to pay for hope that someday Angel might regain his soul. And hope there is, with that floppy disk lying in between the cracks. This episode is another defining moment for the series and one of the most powerful pieces of drama I've ever witnessed in my life. Absolutely stunning directing, perfect acting, creepy music, great action, powerful emotion, and awesome execution.
  • Running out of superlatives at this point

The Good;

Angelus's lyrical narration. Buffy and Joyce having 'The Talk' (you imagine one day Buffy will do the same with Dawn?). Jenny and Angelus' confrontation at the school. Buffy saving Giles at the factory. The twist in the tail.

The Bad;

It seems rather stupid that Buffy simply warns Joyce to keep away from Angelus, because that's going to keep her safe? In the past we're told that Angelus drove Dru mad by killing everyone she loved and nailing puppies to stuff. Here he just tells Joyce that he and Buffy had sex, doesn't even do it nastily. Although Will's fish aren't nice.

Best line;

Any and all of Angelus' narration. Plus Spike stopping Dru from helping Angelus "Not fair if he doesn't tag you"

Wheldon cliches;

Character death-1 (Jenny the 3rd recurring character to die)

Knocked out-yep, Giles again

Women good/men bad-0

Kinky-dinky; Angelus/Spike/Dru

Questions and observations;

Wonderful scene where Jonathon and friend actually come into the library to borrow some books (reminiscent of the opening scene in Friends where they turn up at Central Perk only to find the couch taken for once). Surely Angelus doesn't need an invitation to enter a public area like a school? Or has Jenny done a spell to keep him out and the school motto meant it didn't work. Equally does the invitation rule apply to cars? Presumably Angel has also been to Giles' house in order to put Jenny's body in Giles' bed. We must assume Giles and Jenny have had sex before if she has a key to his place and he's not suprised to find her in his bedroom. Once again, roses don't seem to repel vamps in the Buffyverse. Does Joyce not question why the 40+ school librarian keeps popping around the house to see her teenage daughter? Willow collapsing into Joyce's arms is a sign of how close Joyce has become to the rest of the Scoobs.

Jenny is the 3rd recurring character to die, making it one every 10 eps or so, the shock and brutality of him killing her is awful. Giles knocked out again. Willow's dad is called Ira and he seems quite strictly Jewish. Willow says she's his only daughter, what about sons? I was always suprised fanficcers didn't make more of Buffy and Willow's sleepover after Willow finds her fish? If you can restore Angel's soul why not do that to all vamps? Although Buffy the Vampire Resouler is probably not such a good series.

10/10, running out of superlatives here

• Probably my absolute favorite of the entire series. Truly shows what this show is capable of.

I watched Buffy in its entirety for the first time very recently. Though I did find the whole show enjoyable, I firmly believe that the second and third season were its high point, and no season after that really reached the same heights. That said, looking back at the entire series, this is the episode that impressed me the most. I think that it's the first episode that truly showed what the series was capable of. Angelus was an extremely interesting villain not only because he was so completely malicious, but also because you already had an emotional investment in the character before he turned. To an extent I feel like this is also why Faith worked in season 3. This show was great at getting you invested and then pulling the rug out from under you.

For that reason, I think the moment of this episode that absolutely left me breathless was the death of Jenny Calendar. I really liked her character and the relationship she had with Giles. Her death scene was perfect. They made no indications that the character wouldn't be around long. She'd only been on the show for half a season, she and Giles were just making up after a fight, it seemed like she was just beginning to make it as one of the show's main characters. When Angelus was chasing her through the school, I barely felt any sense of danger. I was so sure she'd get away. That's why when Angelus finally caught up and snapped her neck as though it were nothing, I was absolutely shocked. It was the instant I realized that absolutely no one on the show was safe.

The subsequent scene involved Giles is absolutely heart wrenching to watch. So much so I think it's the only time I closed my eyes during a scene on this show. Everything about this episode works, from the narrations, to Angelus's delight in the pain he's causing, to that final scene when the floppy disk hits the ground. The fact that it's hard to watch is, for me, what makes it so great, because it really, truly does make you feel something for the characters. Buffy in its finest hour.
  • Passion

Passion was burning hot in this great episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I really enjoyed this episode as it closed and continued some great story lines. There was a lot of character development going on in this episode with most of the main characters. Ms. Calendar was working on a way to restore Angel's Soul, but he killed her, unfortunately he missed a disk with the spell on it. It was also interesting to see how Angel, Spike, and Druscilla all get along in their own little world. This episode definitely helps viewers become more attatched to the characters. Giles is heartbroken and nearly destroyed over whats happened. Over all this is another Classic episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
  • Passion: one of the best in the series

Like i said, this is one of the best-well written episode in the series. I loved the Angel dialoge in the beginning and end. It was very hard to watch the part when Gilles sees Jenny dead, and watch Angel kill her. The last part with the floppy disk on falling through the cracks was very important because it gives hope Angel can turn good again. The part when Angel talks to Joyce was also very good because i felt through the whole thing that he was going to attack her. I am glad that they reversed Angel's invite into the house. I love this episode. It's one of those episodes you can watch over and over again. It is one that cannot be missed!!
  • Season 2, Episode 17.

Buffy needs protection for herself and for Joyce after she discovers that Angel sneaked into her bedroom while she was sleeping. I loved Angel's narration about passion. I don't think there's ever been a narration in the show before. Sarah Michelle Gellar looked really good in this episode. I liked when Buffy told Joyce about Angel. I can't believe Angel sneaked into Willow's room and killed her fish! Drusilla is too weird, though. Angel is still hot. I loved when Buffy, Willow, Xander, and Cordelia walked out of The Bronze and Angel killed a victim right next to them and they didn't notice. I loved the whole Jenny and Angel scene. Excellent episode, and definitely a series classic. Way to go, writers!
  • Angelus: Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments

This episode showcases some of Angel's finest evil moments as he torments Buffy and her friends in order to prepare them all for when he kills them. The drawing on Buffy's bed and the dead fish in Willow's room are quite well placed. I also love how angel comes to the house and tells Joyce that him and Buffy had slept together which was by far the worse one of his little tricks because it betrayed Buffy's secret and had her feeling worse than she already did about her mistake. Then the most heartbreaking scene comes when Giles discovers the body of Jenny set up in her bed for the night that they never get to have together. Giles's reaction is severe but understandable as he tries to do what Buffy has proved that she cannot when he goes to even the score with Angel. His voice overs are well placed and very chilling and work so well for the tone and mood of this episode that really explain why he has to kill and why people have to live.
  • ' without passion, we'd be truly dead' my favorite quote of all time. a must watch. the best epsode.

i love this episode so much. it got everything in it, drama, relationship problems, action, adventure, adn don't forget horror. angel way of killing buffy was a very interesting one. he thinks its better to hurt her until she could take it no longer befor killing her is amazing. 'to kill her, you have to love her.' love the way angel said this. it was so true. by killing everone she hold dear before killing her is the best way to kill buffy. the part where angel killed jenny was a bit hard to watch. i quite like her. but it showed that one of the scoobies can die and that the writers are willing to do that. it also showed that the scoobies are in real danger of angel, not just evil in a straight way, but in a twisted way. angel treated killing like an art. this episode is amazing.
  • another great episode you don't want to miss.

buffy is being haunted by angel. he is stalking & taunting her that creeps buffy out. meanwhile, ms calendar is planning to make it up to buffy by trying to restore angel's soul. angel found out about it & killed her. the scene when buffy got the call from giles in the house while angel is just outside watching them is the meanest angel could have portrayed his character. the look on his face is pure evil in a way that he's taking so much pleasure in the torment he is inflicting in every misery buffy is suffering. he really captured that pure evil character. i think this really defines what angel's passion is all about.
  • "Without passion, we'd be truly dead"

Angelus steps up his torment of Buffy, leaving her eerie drawings at night. He also goes after her loved ones, just to try and get to her.

This is on of the most beautifully done episodes of Buffy ever, and yet the most disturbing. The cruelty expressed by Angelus is just amazingly twisted! David Boreanaz's performance is not to be forgotten. Angelus executes his plans with such detail and with such "passion" that if it wasn't so horrible it would leave you in awe of him. Anthony Stewart Head also gave a memorable performance. Watching Giles go up the stairs only to find Jenny how Angelus has left her is just so heartbreaking that I can barely watch. How he can be so happy one second, then completely numb the next. Sarah Michelle also gave a great performance. The scenes where Buffy and Willow find out about Jenny and when Buffy goes to save Giles reduce me to tears.
    Angelus' voice overs for the episode are almost chilling. They fit in perfectly with the rest of the episode and are one of the main contributing factors as to why this episode is so great!
    It is so painfully emotional. Though one of the most lovable episode of Buffy ever. Joss Whedon has really created a masterpiece with Passion.
  • Tormented By An Angel

Passion-Angelus continues his obsessive torment of Buffy by visiting her during the night and leaving presents in her bed. Meanwhile, Ms. Calendar tries to make amends for deceiving Buffy and Giles by attempting to translate the Gypsy curse to restore Angel's human soul, with dire consequences.

A very dark and shocking episode as Angelus makes his big move on Buffy and her friends, and it's one that leaves a lasting impression on viewers. The writers must all be commended for making such a daring move by allowing a cast member too be killed off, especially one that many have grown to love the past 2 years. Jenny Calendar was always a fun character as she was unpredictable, full of enery and her relationship with Giles was a real treat. Watching a character like her being brutally murdered on screen is truly painful to watch as you know there is no way she will ever come back as Angelus snaps her neck like a twig.

Robia LeMorte is wonderful throughout as Jenny tries to find a way to bring Angel's soul back as well as make things right with the group. David Boreanez also turns out an amazing performance as he shows that Angelus is villian not to be taken likely. The way he stakes Buffy and her friends by leaving pictures of them, not to mention killing Willow's poor fish! I also loved how Joyce found out Buffy had sex and they both had "the talk." It's a real touching scene between mother and daughter that is portrayed like any real life situation.

I have to say the chase scene with Angel and Ms. Calender is one of the scariest moments of the show. Better than most horror movies, there is truly a sense of fear and intensity as Jenny runs for her life from the sadistic vampire. Then, when you think she got away, he comes out of nowhere and kills in seconds. To make matters worse, just as Giles is ready to rekindle what he and Jenny had, Angelus leaves Jenny's lifeless body in his own bed for him to see. Just the look on Giles' face is heartbreaking, then if that was hard enough, watching Willow and Buffy's reaction to her death as Angelus watches from the shadows is overwhelming. It just makes it worse as we just see Buffy in disbelief and Willow breaking down through the eyes of Angelus as he smiles in his victory. But the best part is Giles' revenge at the end. Just the way he barges into the factory setting it on fire and hitting Angelus with a bat on fire is an amazing sequence. What makes it more shocking is how emotionless Giles is during it all. Of course, Buffy comes in intervine and has short but sweet fight with Angelus. The next scene is one of the saddest scenes of the series as Buffy punches a angry Giles and Buffy just holds Giles as they both cry from being so emotionally overwhelmed. It's one of those scenes that show the father/daughter dynamic that these 2 are building up and that they are very important to one another. The episode ends with a powerful statement as Buffy speaks on now knowing that Angel is gone and that she done holding on to the past. She is ready to kill the man she onced loved if she has too. All and All, one of the darkest and most shocking episodes of the series with powerful acting, intense scenes and a brutal goodbye to a beloved character.
  • My favorite Buffy episode, ever.

This episode is the epitomy of the BTVS-verse magic. It can be classified as many things, particularly 'tearjerker' and 'painful to watch', because it has Angelus at his worse. The way he brutally murders such a beloved cast member is heartbreaking, and seems so realistic. Jenny Calendar was well-liked by a majority of the viewing audience, especially in relation to her romance with Giles, and so to have her killed off this way is cruel, and yet at the same time fitting, because it is so memorable. No other episode has ever made me cry as much as this one, not even when Oz left Willow in the fourth season. To watch Giles experience so many emotions throughout the episode is what is most interesting; his reaction goes from happiness, to shock, to anger, to hurt, and to devastation - it really is a pivotal episode for the character. He loses someone he truly loves, and now Buffy knows she cannot wallow alone in self-pity over her own romantic loss. It is her lover who committed the crime, and now there is no going back. No other episode gets in touch with one's emotions like this one does, it is amazing. The scene where Angelus hides outside Buffy's window to see hers and Willow's reactions to the news of Jenny's death is probably the best moment ever in the show, because his expression is so cold - he thrives on their pain, most significantly Buffy's pain.

Best episode ever, of all 7 seasons. Fantastically well written and amazingly well acted.
  • A disturbing insight into the twisted mind that is Angelus', who takes the game to a new level.

"Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping, waiting and though unwanted, unbidden, it will stir… open it's jaws and howl…"

I have to admit that almost all of my favourite episodes of Buffy come from Season 2. The introduction of Angelus, Dru and Spike and a previously good character going so evil that he kills characters we love is irresistible. David's portrayal of Angelus – who here is a few cards short of a deck – created a legendary character that was built on through 'Buffy' to the end of 'Angel'. We never met the 'real' Angelus – the Legend – until season 4 of 'Angel', the Angel we see in season 2 of 'Buffy' is too unstable and disturbed to be the monster we have heard so much about. It's really in 'Angel' that Angelus is fully explored and the character is completely fleshed out – along with (one of) my favorite characters in either series' history: Darla. (The other one being Faith.) There was nothing I enjoyed more than exploring their twisted relationship, but I digress… My personal theory is that after 100 years of captivity, Angelus went a little looney. Despite the above, the Angelus in season 2 of 'Buffy' is an absolute delight, all the more so because he *is* crazy.

One of my absolute favorite scenes of the series is right here: the opening. Angelus, lurking in the shadows of the Bronze, watching Buffy and friends who are completely oblivious to his surveillance and the voice-over gives you goosebumps.

This introduces a side of Angelus that is famous: psychological torture. Also, obsessive stalking. Angelus begins stalking Buffy and Co., taking his time, making them sweat, making them wonder what he will do next… which is never the obvious. The sketch of Buffy sleeping – which is excellent – makes the gang aware that they need a way to reverse the invitation to their houses. Then comes fish murder. Joyce has no idea how lucky she was that Buffy showed when she did but it doesn't stop Angelus spilling the beans about them sleeping together.

One thing that Jenny says still bugs me – 'raised by the people Angel hurt the most'. Excuse me? He killed one girl, even if she was the Elder's daughter – he killed thousands of people in his long, bloody life, what makes you so special? I can understand keeping the curse going but to place yourself in a special position because he killed one, single, solitary member of your clan is the height of arrogance. Angelus killed Holtz's entire family, now there's a man who has a right to a grudge.

The scenes between Dru, Spike and Angelus are always delights, especially when Angelus starts taunting Spike at every turn. The rivalry over Dru's affections was always a theme. Though Angelus was obsessed with Dru when he turned her, now he only makes an issue out of it to annoy Spike.

Giles and Jenny start to talk again which only makes Jenny's death more tragic. Even Buffy makes an attempt at civility. Having finally translated the soul restoration spell, her plans go awry when Dru has one of her visions. Which leads to one of the best scenes ever – Angelus' confrontation of Jenny. "No thanks. Been there, done that – déjà vu just isn't what it used to be."

And last but far from least: the death scene. Hauntingly staged, roses and candles everywhere, Angelus leaves Jenny's body at Giles'. This is Angelus at his cruel best because this was absolutely vicious. To make Giles hope for reconciliation, raises his joy and love then shatters them. Devastating.

Last thoughts:
    - Jonathan and friend walk into the library to get books?! "This is the school library, Xander." "Since when?" Good question, have we ever seen students actually come to get books before?
    - Vampire whimsy: I love Dru! Who else would name a puppy 'Sunshine'?!
    - Willow prepares to teach Jenny's computer class and once Jenny dies, Willow teaches the classes from that point on.
    - Problem: Jenny translated the ritual into *English* - when Willow does the spell in 'Becoming', why doesn't she use the translation? Instead it sounded like Latin!
    - Buffy says she 'can't believe it's the same person'. That's the point, something they only made official canon lore later – it's *not* the same person! Angelus is a demon, he's not Angel, they never have and never will be one person.

The writing of this episode is exceptional, making it one of my top five episodes of 'Buffy'. Filled with memorable scene after scene, it is a pleasure every time. I only don't give this a 10 because there's one episode I must give a 10, but this episode comes close.
  • Emotional hurricane.

I think the title of this episode clearly represnts it.
    It is a very passionate episode with intense emotions and really exiting moments. I think it's one of these episodes when soemone dies who is very close to the show but that lifts the show to a higher level of importance.
    The writing was great for this episode . Tottally genious. Incredible story line.
    The idea of losing the one you love and then wanting to get revenge is absolutely sensational.
    I think after that episode Buffy the vampire slayer started progressing into a more serious show. As for the episode exciting form beginning to end, and when you watch it you will experience all sorts of feelings.
    The actors were great.
    Willow's reaction to Jenny's death was outstanding and the confrontation between Buffy and Giles after the strong battle between Giles and Angel and Buffy and Angel was cleverly written.
    To top it of a very intense speech about passion from the evil that was Angel in the end.
    I rarely say this but bravo for this outstanding A+ material.

• passion starts off so creepy with the angelus voiceover and the rest of the episode doesn't disappoint.

one of my all-time favourite episodes of television, not just buffy, ever! every single time i watch, and it's a lot of times, even though i know exactly what's going to happen it just makes me so sad. and it's not only jenny dying but the whole episode that makes this great for me. angelus sort of "stalking" joyce was so scary i thought he was going to kill her the first time i saw it. but what he does, with revealing him and buffy sleeping together ,is just perfect. seeing jenny die and everyone's reaction to it is heartbreaking. the angel/giles/angel/buffy fight is a highlight for me i wanted giles to get his revenge/justice not just for jenny but for himself too. seeing buffy and giles together at jenny's grave at the end was another tearjerk moment. this episode is just fantastic, an example of what makes this show so great imo, in fact i'm going to go rewatch it right now!
  • One of the best episodes, solidifying Angelus' status as a major villain.

While this may have been highly controversial among fans when it aired, now it stands as one of the best episodes of "Buffy", continuing the milestones since the middle of the season. The show goes through another growing pain: the first death of a recurring character who wasn't a villain. Killing off a character can be dangerous for a show. Those who seek comfort in their weekly series may cry foul at such a shake up, but it is necessary for shows like "Buffy", that frequently deal with death in arc based storylines. Other times it can be a desperate maneuver to shock audiences and garner some of its old buzz. However, this time the death makes sense in terms of the characters and the plot and it is executed (so to speak) perfectly.

They made it clear that Angelus liked to toy with his victims rather than killing them right away. He's relished dismissing the relationship Angel once had with Buffy and leaving notes that tell her he's watching, but that can only go so far where the big bad is concerned. They had to show Angel was a true villain, not one Buffy could ignore or who would "never chip in for gas". Someone had to die to prove that. Originally, that was Oz, a safe choice considering his role was limited to this point. However, fan appreciation of Oz, as well as implied back stage bad behavior, turned Jenny into the first major casualty of Buffy's gang.

Obviously, this episode resolves Jenny's estrangement from the main group. While Giles picked Buffy to side on after Jenny's secret was revealed, his feelings for her remained. Jenny and Giles speaking in the classroom early in the episode showed that need for reconciliation. Buffy, still reeling from her own heartbreak, saw it too and allowed Jenny to resume her relationship, albeit not going so far as to forgive her completely.

"Surprise" and "Innocence" revealed Jenny's motivation for coming to Sunnydale and acquainting herself with the gang: she was a descendant of gypsies Angelus killed and they wanted her to keep him from experiencing perfect happiness. While she followed orders more out of obligation to family than passion, that secret caused her to fall out of the graces of the rest of the group. She would have to make up for her mistake somehow. She ultimately does so by siding with her new friends and love. Her attempt to find a way to restore Angel's soul serves as a redemptive final act. This choice is shown in her tombstone, reading her alias rather than her gypsy name.

The scenes where the characters react to Jenny's murder are the most potent of the series thus far. To show Buffy and Willow breaking down from Angelus' point of view, with little dialogue audible, was a great touch. It's interesting how effective this scene is considering it's shown from the perspective of a monster.

Xander gets off easy as far as Angelus torment is concerned, but he can't keep quiet after Jenny's death. While he never liked Angel, largely out of jealousy for his romance with Buffy, he kept it to himself because he was friends with Buffy, and later to avoid hurting her further. The lack of discretion foreshadows the collapse of Buffy's world that began when Angelus returned.

Giles arguably gets the worst of it among those alive. Angelus' staging of his apartment, with the idea that the reconciled couple would get to have their first night together, is so perfectly done that makes the reveal nothing short of crushing. The addition of the operatic music only intensifies the scene. This goes beyond any cruel act Angelus has done so far.

Detachment is a major theme of this season. The characters struggle to control their passions to do what is necessary, or what is smart. Buffy's said her emotions give her an advantage in a fight, but they are also a major liability as Giles warns her in the episode. She couldn't kill Angelus in "Innocence" because of her connection to Angel, and Jenny's death becomes symbolic of what that lack of detachment can do. Now she knows she has to fight him and that the man she loved is gone. However, she stops Giles from doing it knowing his reckless attack will kill him.

Ironically, Giles lets his passions interfere with his judgment. He would've gotten himself killed had Buffy not intervened, as Angel let him have those first few swings with the lit baseball bat (which looked cool regardless). This episode does a better job at showing Giles as a flawed human being than his own episode did earlier in the season. The scene where Buffy punches Giles after they leave the burning building is just perfect.

While Boreanaz may have overdone Angelus in "Innocence", he hits all the right marks in this episode, as Angelus gets to do the things he loves most. He is a master manipulator, playing obsessed hunter, heartbroken ex and brutal killer extremely well. It makes Jenny's death scene particularly thrilling and shocking. He graduates from a good minor villain to one worthy of the title "Big Bad".

It's unlikely that Angelus knew, but unceremoniously telling Joyce that he slept with Buffy further chipped away at the mother-daughter relationship. The bond between them has gotten increasingly strained as the season's progressed, as it becomes harder for Buffy to keep her secret from her mother. Buffy even contemplates telling her when she realizes that her mother could potentially be in danger because Angel has a standing invitation.

Spike continues to argue over how to deal with Buffy and her friends, supporting a swift kill rather than "leaving gag gifts on teacher's bed". Toying with Buffy will only get her "brassed off" as he puts it. However, Angelus will do whatever he wants and with his advances towards Drusilla serve to intensify the feud between them.

Things in Sunnydale are now a lot darker. In the beginning, Buffy and her friends have a night of fun without a care towards what Angelus is planning. Willow's even looking forward to being a substitute for Jenny if she is late (how a junior could substitute a class is not clear, but hardly noteworthy for this episode). By the end, such nights of fun are on hiatus and Willow gets to teach the class under the worst circumstances.

This episode sets a major precedent for the show. What could've been a disaster is made irrelevant by amazing writing (except for the out of place "Faster P****cat (can't believe they bleeped that out) reference), direction and acting. It's surprising Ty King wrote this episode after the disappointing "Some Assembly Required" and that he never wrote another episode. Things are very bad for the characters and hope is lost, symbolized with the floppy disk falling between the crack of desk and filing cabinet, but it makes for great television.
  • They take a well liked character and kill her.

Once Angel reformed to his evil self, I started feeling that they weren't really making him as "bad" as he was supposed to be. I mean, yeah, they'd show him bite people, etc, but he never really did anything horrific until Passions. I love this episode. It's one of those ones that you can watch over and over again and never really get tired. Finally as an audience we got to see that he wasn't just pretending he truly was a monster with no soul and no remorse. Jenny Calendar's death was sad. I find as I watch the series over and over her death means more to me each time. It was a sad affair that happened but it needed to. As Joss said, he had to take a likeable character and kill her off so basically the fans would know that no one was safe.
  • Angelus finds a great way to get to buffy

Angelus is hilarious just wanted to say that 1st his speeches about passion are so well written. And David boreanaz acting shines in this twisted episode.i love his voice thats probabley why it was so enjoyable to watch for me. it was sad seeing him kill Jenny Calender i at first thought she was going to escape from Angelus but she didnt and he ended up killing her by snapping her neck then he puts her body in Giles bed. it was heart breaking to watch giles walk in to see a note saying upstairs thinking Jenny had planned a "get together" only to find her dead body. Tony heads acting was great too.stoyline+great acting=a great episode.
  • Angelus finally takes some action

This was a very sad episode. I never really liked Jenny but the way Angelus killed her was terrifying. It was so creepy to hear her neck just snap like that. I loved how Angel left her in Giles' bed too it was almost poetic how he did that. I did enjoy the fact that Jenny and Giles were starting to get close again before Angel killed her and that he killed her because she was trying to restore his soul.

Angelus lurking around on Buffy was brilliant, because in the last couple of episodes you could tell that Angel was gone and he was evil but it really stood out here. I loved how he knew to come at Buffy through her friends and family. It was nice to see the real Angelus that enjoys the thrill of a good kill and the thrill of torture.

Buffy and her mom having "The Talk" was great. Joyce and Buffy rarely have the chance to bond and they got to do that a little in this episode and it was cute. I loved how Giles went after Angel after he had killed Jenny. You knew that Giles could never defeat Angelus, but it was amazing to see him try. Giles running on pure rage was incredible on so many levels. I loved how Buffy punched him after that and told him how much she needed him. It was great that in the end Buffy finally accepted that Angel was gone and nothing was going to bring him back.

This was an amazing episode and a very pivotal point in the season.
  • Amazing

I loved this episode for a few reasons.

1) David Boreanaz voiceovers. He has such an amazing voice. I loved his last voiceover about passion. And then ending line "Without passion, we are truly dead." It was so fitting for so many levels. 2) Great performances by Anthony Stewart Head and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

3) Just amazing music, tone, everything about this episode was dark, yet sensual. It made you see what a monster Angel can be, but you still like him because he's Angel and he's sexy.

A great episode overall leading into one of the best episodes of the entire series, "I Only Have Eyes for You".
  • Angelus shows how truly evil he can be

Favorite quotes: Cordelia: So, Giles is going to kill Angel, then?
    Xander: Well, it's about time somebody did.
    Willow: Xander!
    Xander: I'm sorry, but let's not forget that I hated Angel long before you guys jumped on the bandwagon. So I think I deserve a little something for not saying "I told you so" long before now. And if Giles wants to go after the fiend that murdered his girlfriend, I say, Faster, **** Kill, kill!

This one just broke my heart for Giles. He and Jenny were on their way to reconciliation and everything. Buffy had even called somewhat of a truce with Jenny. Poor Jenny, she spent most of the episode trying to re-create the spell used to re-ensoul Angelus, and she actually did successfully translate the spell. Unfortunately, Angelus was a step ahead of her. He ended up chasing her through the school and snapping her neck. Then, in the most heartless way possible, he arranges it so Giles will find her dead in his bed. If Buffy or any of us had any reservations about killing Angelus, they ended in this ep.
  • Jennifer Calender

Angelus seriouslt steps up his torment on Buffy, this is really the first episode where we start to see how scary Angelus can be. He leaves drawings in Buffy's home, he comes into her house at night and just kind of watches her psychoticly, and he kills all of Willow's fish. What a prince right? And that's not even the most horrifying part. When Jenny tries to make amends for not being honest about her true idenity, as one of the decendants of the gypsies that cursed Angel with a soul many years, by restoring Angel's soul things take a turn for the worse. Drusilla and Angelus target her, Angelus eventually killing her. But he doesn't stop there attacking Giles in a way as well. It appears as though Angel is lost for good and Buffy must finally take his life, or so it seems.
  • Brilliantly evil

This is a episode that changes the entire series. Up until this point, Angelus has mostly he's been wandering around Sunnydale, taunting Buffy and playing in mind games. In "Passion" he decides to up the stakes. Jenny Calander is working to restore Angel's soul and Angelus isn't going to put up with that. He immediately sets out to stop Jenny's plan and, in doing so, changes the entire make-up of the show. This is one of the most important episodes of the season. It's ramifications go straight through the rest of the series.

I love Willow's face when she sees what Angelus did to her fish. The time it must've taken him to catch them out of the aquarium and string them all on that thread... The boy needs a new hobby. And you just have to laugh when Cordy announces that she's traded cars with her grandmother.
  • A brilliant and highly creepy episode!

This episode has to be one of my favourites, because it has a special edge to it that a lot of the episodes don't have. This one can officially be called creepy: The thought of someone being in your bed room, at night, long enough to draw a detailed picture of you asleep? Not a nice thought. The way Angel lets on to giles that angel killed Jenny is especially creepy. I love the bit when angel tries to get in to buffy's house and she simply tells him that she changed the locks, then slams the door in his face. It is a classic!
    The sexual tension between Spike, Drusilla and Angel is hilarious to watch! As is the talk that Buffy has with her mother!

This episode is terribly dark and creepy, but it is certainly not one to miss! This is an amazing episode! Definate BEST EPISODE potential!

• This was one of the most powerful episodes of the series.

While I classified this as 'painful to watch' it is one that has to be seen to be believed. It's gut-wrenching to see Giles go from utter joy to profound heartache in that one moment. Then to see (but not hear) Buffy's & Willow's lives change so quickly because of one phone call . . . I've heard of how painful a powerful punch to the stomach is, and I imagine that's what these characters felt when they learned of Jenny's death. This was the episode that we learned of Angelus's true sadistic nature; when it's hinted at in season 4 of 'Angel' that they may need to access this character the audience knows what the stakes truly are.
  • What scares a nightmare

Season 2 has been so much better then season one. This makes sense as season one feels like aann introduction, but to let us feel the evil side of Angel and let Angelus rip aside the warm feelings any girl might have for Angel was sheer bliss.

To see Angelus play with his food and let the horror sweep him into a delightful frenzy was absolutely perfect. To get this view on things and let it show us what bad cann truly ne like gives the viewer an idea why the other puppies stay away from this dog.

You get a clear idea that Angelus amongst Vampires is like watching a junkyard dog in a room full of kittens. You get to see him like this again, but not to the effect that was shown in this season.
  • Without Passion we'd be truly dead

This is the best of all the episodes of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

It's our passions that help define us. What we truly burn for and believe in is a clear sign of who we really are.

Angelus' passion is Buffy. He might want to admit it, ut he's a obsessed with this tiny blonde as his alterego is. What really makes this episode stand out is the monologue spoken over some of the scenes. Who the speaker is not certain. It might be Angel or it might be Angelus. The two egos are so closely knit that even there passions has started to mesh. The feel of the episode is exstremly dark and eerie even for this show and more than once I've found myself shivering from the portrail of Angelus. It is very believable for me that he is the most vicious vampire ever to walk the earth. One of my favourite scenes in this episode with so many great scences is the one where Angelus tells Joyce about him and Buffy making love.
  • so emotional...

Too much happens is this episode – but that’s a good thing. It’s so full of emotion. Highlights include Buffy getting pictures drawn by Angel of her sleeping. This is upsetting her and Giles finds a spell to uninvited him from her house. Angel one night so she shows up and tells Joyce that he and Buffy have had sex and he tries to enter but Willow has cast the spell. Ms. Calendar feels so bad about everything that has happened that she starts to translate the spell to give him back her soul again. Dru sees this in a vision so Angel goes and kills her and leaves her body in Giles’s bed. He calls Willow and Buffy to tell them what has happened the gang rushes to the factory to save him. Angel is winning the fight and Buffy jumps in. The place is on fire and an unconscious Giles is about to die. When Angel points this out Buffy goes to Giles and Angel gets away. Buffy now knows that she has the strength to kill him. The next day Willow subs for Ms. Calendar and accidentally hits the disk containing Angel’s soul ritual between the desks. Once again – I hate seeing Willow cry.
< 1 2