Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Prophecy Girl

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Jun 02, 1997 on The WB

• "Prophecy Girl"

I probably wouldn't be as hard on the last two episodes if I hadn't also seen this episode on the same day. "Prophecy Girl" is a sterling example of how to write and direct this show. From the artful dissolves in the episode's opening and closing sequences to performances that feel more engaged, interactive and frequently heartrending, "Prophecy Girl" is an episode that knows exactly what it's doing and why. It looks right and feels right.

And no wonderit's the last episode of Season One, and it's written and directed by the boss of all bosses, Joss Whedon. Most of "Prophecy Girl" has to do with wrapping up the first season's meta-plot and dispatching The Master, while also bringing back all the major characters and reiterating their significance. Cordelia, presumably softened up to Buffy and her cronies by the way they helped her out in "Out Of Sight," becomes integral to the action in "Prophecy Girl," delivering necessary warnings about the increased vampire activity around Sunnydale High, and even saving Willow's life at one point. Miss Calendar returns, to serve as Giles' peer and able assistant. And of course Angel is back, following up on his conversation with Giles in "Out Of Sight," and learning that according to the ancient texts, Buffy is doomed to die if she fights The Master. But if she doesn't fight himwell, then the world will probably end.

It says something about the quality of this episode that its moments of highest drama have little to do with vampires. "Prophecy Girl" opens with Xander trying out his "go to the dance with me, Buffy" speech on Willow and completely muffing it, to her quiet delight. When he finally screws up the courage to ask Buffy out, her rejection of him is painful, especially after the heartfelt way he says, "I want to dance with But it's almost more painful when Xander asks Willow out as compensation, and she turns him down too, not wanting to be his second choice anymore.

It also says something about the quality of this episode that Whedon includes so many scenes of people talking quietly with each other, without sacrificing any tension. After Giles reads the prophecy, he's genuinely touched to see that Buffy's still alive the next morning, though when she finds out her fate, she's so freaked out that she insists that she's done with slaying for good. Later, she talks with her mother, who thinks Buffy is troubled by the upcoming Spring Fling dance, and tells a story about meeting Buffy's dad at a school dance that she went to by herself.

All of this chatter enriches the main action of "Prophecy Girl," in which Buffy does face off against The Master, and does diethough she's revived by Xander, who grabbed a cross and forced his romantic rival Angel to lead him to the Master's lair. A newly alive Buffy who feels "strong" and "different" struts back to Sunnydale High, where Willow, Cordelia, Giles and Miss Calendar have been holding off a horde of vampires, as well as a multi-tentacled creature that has emerged from a crack in the earth. Buffy arrives, stations Angel and Xander by the stairwell, and then heads up for a final confrontation with The Master that doesn't take very long to resolve.

As I said, my qualms about this episode are minor, and mainly have to do with the story feeling a little compressed. I'm also not wild about the moment when Willow recalls seeing the student lounge littered with corpses and laments that, "It wasn't our world Too much overkill there, especially since none of our heroes spends even a moment mourning their dead classmatesnot even Cordelia, whose boyfriend is among the victims. And anyway, Whedon makes the same point much better earlie in a single image: a TV in the lounge, playing Porky Pig cartoons, smeared with a single bloody handprint.

If you want one picture to sum up the mood and message of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's first season, that just may be it.
  • Coming to understand the true brilliance of this show

The first season finale of Buffy was a very dramatic and at times quite exciting episode. It was fun to see Cordelia spending time with the group. Bring on season 2..
  • Prophecy Girl

"Prophecy Girl" is a flawed but decent wrap up in what amounts to a pretty uneven season. By focusing on the base elements of the series up to this point and amplifying the drama (until the end) we end up with a unique episode, at least by this season's standards. While several memorable scenes build to the episode's climax, it's the climax itself that can't keep up. I'm not sure what happened, but "Prophecy Girl" very noticeably weakens during its last act with a jarring shift towards the comical.

The thing that strikes me as odd about the sloppy ending, which I'll get to a bit later, is that "Prophecy Girl" is so deliberate in its tone and filmmaking until then. Take the lovely opening scene, for example, where Buffy is fighting an ordinary vampire yet it is anything but ordinary in how it was shot. I can really tell that it's Whedon himself behind the camera in his Buffy directorial debut. All in slow-motion Buffy gets knocked on her back, gets back up, sees the "monster" grinning at her in anticipation, pulls out her hidden stake, sees the monster lose his smirk, and then gloriously grins herself. At this point the slow-motion fades away into real-time and Buffy dispatches the vampire with ease. This is all a very well-staged callback to the central idea behind the show about the girl victim not turning out to be as helpless as her attacker thought subversion is again the name of the day.

While the opening scene nicely calls back to the base concept of the show, what "Prophecy Girl" is really about is sacrifice. This has been a recurring theme throughout the season, with both "Welcome to the Hellmouth" [1x01] and "Never Kill a Boy on the First Date" [1x05] touching on the issue more directly. After learning about some of the relatively smaller costs of sacrifice earlier, this is the first time Buffy's devotion is fiercely tested and it really puts her through her paces. There's this wonderfully subtle beat shortly before the emotional explosion in the library where we see Buffy grabbing a stake out of her locker as a bunch of happy students on their way to a sports practice walk by her. We just see Buffy take a moment to sigh and then walk the other way, towards the danger that awaits her all a nod to the sacrifices Buffy is making every day to save the unknowing people around her. This resonates so much precisely because of how it sets up her emotional reaction to the terrible news that follows.

Buffy overhears this terrible news from afar. It sure produces one hell of a beat as Giles says that Buffy is prophesized to imminently "face the Master. And she will die." The fact that we know she does die, albeit only briefly, makes this entire scene that much more potent in retrospect. Gellar plays Buffy's reaction to this news with a tremendous amount of realism that still touches me today. We see an initial burst of laughter followed by a pang of concern, a burst of anger, and then tears. It all makes for a very tender moment and the first major hard-hitting emotional beat of the series. This scene is a complete success.

Initially trying to evade the sacrifice fated of her, Buffy's just not ready or willing to accept death this easily. When she tears off the cross Angel gave to her in "Welcome to the Hellmouth" [1x01] and throws it on the ground we witness a clear symbolic moment. The cross, of course, is a symbol of sacrifice. This moment is her initial rejection of the sacrifice asked of her. The cross is also a symbol of salvation, though, which becomes relevant in the journey that awaits her.

Trying to not only avoid the situation but actively run away from it entirely, Buffy tells her mom to leave town for the weekend with her (side note: there are some interesting parallels to Buffy's reaction to impending death here and Anya's journey with the same throughout the series). This leads to a nice conversation with her mother (about a school dance) and an analogy about how facing a bad situation can lead to unexpected and rewarding outcomes. Buffy also gets a pretty white dress in the process!

After talking with her mom and learning about how vampires are encroaching further onto school grounds from a scared Willow, she accepts the purpose her role serves in this world, even if she doesn't like it. With only an adamant and noble Giles, who understands the stakes as well, in the way, Buffy punches him out and picks up her cross, thereby signifying her acceptance of what that symbol means. This is an important moment as she tells Giles "that's not how it goes. I'm the Slayer," which shows us that she's now beginning to take ownership of this incredible burden. My only quibble with this acceptance is the brevity in which it happens, but it's a defining moment nonetheless.

When Buffy enters the Master's lair, some relevant words are exchanged. The Master tells her that she isn't the "hunter" but rather the (sacrificial) "lamb." While this statement is partially true, particularly in this precise moment, what's so amazing about Buffy is that, in reality, she's both. Buffy will come to sacrifice a lot in the years to come, but she will also become a much stronger fighter as well. The connection between the two is particularly relevant when looking ahead to Season 5's exploration of the nature of the Slayer and what Buffy learns from it. I'm reminded of, in particular, the thrilling season opening 'hunt' in "Buffy vs. Dracula" [5x01].

The reality of the situation in the here and now, though, is a Buffy who has no control of herself due to the Master's paralyzing gaze. It's here where the Master breaks the bad news to her: it's her blood that allows him to go free! This is a brutal moment for Buffy in which we see a lone tear stream down her face right before she gets bitten. This moment is done in a way that has quite a sexual subtext a kind of violation of Buffy's innocence -- and plays as a nice and subtle setup for where the show's heading next season. All of this also goes to show how manipulative prophecies in the Buffyverse can be.

The sacrificial theme of "Prophecy Girl" and how it relates to Buffy's growth is the very best of what the episode has to offer, but there are also a few other positives that warrant discussion. Xander asking Buffy out has been a long time coming for the season and the entire scene is written and performed just marvelously, making it all so achingly real. I can understand Xander's nervousness as it's really tough for some people to put themselves out there like that. As a detached viewer I have to admit that Xander's complete obliviousness to Buffy's disinterest in him is a little aggravating, but things look mighty different when I put myself in his shoes. Despite all the clues and hints from Buffy, Xander was crushing hard and needed the finality that Buffy gives him here. Rejection is never easy though, and I even feel bad for Buffy having to be the agent of rejection in this instance. At least she was as gentle and honest about it as she probably could have been.

Another scene I appreciated was Willow's consolation of Xander, which ends up as yet another rejection for him. I found it fantastic that Willow stood up for herself and didn't just settle for being Xander's castoff date despite being absolutely wild over him. She tells him, "you think that's my idea of hijinks?" It's a great moment for Willow, and a not-so great one for Xander. The one thing in the world that's always there for Xander, though, is country music: "the music of pain."

For all the positives that "Prophecy Girl" possesses, it's got some pretty notable flaws as well. For starters, there's the scene where Willow and Cordelia find some boys they know at school dead. While the scene itself is actually pretty creepy and does a good job at relaying the feeling that the demons are invading the safe places in the characters' world, I would have liked a lot more build-up to this moment in previous episodes. A moment like this could have resonated a lot more strongly if this feeling had felt like a slow burn.

"Prophecy Girl" aims high and almost gets there, but it's missing the necessary buildings blocks to completely resonate. The complete collapse of the episode's measured tone in its final act also did a disservice to what was shaping up to be an excellent finale in a mediocre season. In the end I still feel we got a worthwhile and entertaining finale, but it's definitely not all it could have been. Even with all its mistakes, though, it ends up turning out to be one of the season's bests.
  • If it had ended here it would still have been great!

Prophecy Girl

The Good;

Buffy's unjustified (but very human) rant at Giles, the wonderful slow motion fight with the vamp whilst Cordy is parking with a guy. Buffy accepting her fate for the sake of her friends and family.The Buffy/Master confrontation and her final battle with him. Xander listening to country music, the white man's blues. Xander practicing on Willow and Willow consequently turning him down. Cordy and Will finding the bodies. Cordy's car trick and the girls fleeing in terror. The Buffy/Joyce scene. Love Buffy's dress.

The Bad;

The tentacles from the Hellmouth look pretty weak. Also I thought the boy who get's killed is the same one as in the last ep but it's not, Cordy seems to have a new guy every week. I always think that's lame on TV, characters get boyfriends/girlfriends one week who mean the world to them then they're forgotten about the next ep.

Best line;

Angel; I like your dress

Buffy; Big hit with everyone

Questions and observations;

Buffy dies for the first time and is bitten by a vampire for the first but by no means the last time. Giles get's knocked out for the first time (by Buffy!). Jenny's back, yay! Presumably the reason Cordy is being so nice to Will and isn't mad at her boyfriend du jour is that it's one of the signs of the apocalypse?

So if Buffy had died for real what would have happened? Presumably Angel would have defeated the Master? Or the Initiative? No offence to Kendra but I figure this would have meant that Faith would be the Slayer and consequently Dawn would be HER sister. Faith would never have gone bad and Joyce would get over her grief by adopting Faith and Dawn as her foster children. Even so, in the Buffyverse death isn't necessarily for ever...?

Note that when Buffy comes back from the dead they play the show's theme full blast. According to Joss the theme starts off like a conventional horror theme but then kicks into rock and roll thrash because it signifies that Buffy and co won't conform to the horror stereotype, they won't take it any more. So we have Buffy dying just as the prophecy says, like all the Slayers before her but she rebels and comes back. If you wanted to see a feminist subtext, she refuses to be the victim, to accept the gender role assigned to her. I don't know if Joss intended it but someone at The Bronze once pointed out that the Scoobies are actually the cliched victims you'd find in any horror film, the sexy blonde, the athletic hunk, the bitchy cheerleader, the hapless nerd, the wiseass jerk and the stuffy authority figure. But in Joss' show the victim's fight back and win.

Angel has a phone and Giles' know's his number.

Buffy actually says she feels stronger after Xander brings her back. She shouldn't of course, she should be weak as a kitten so maybe this is God's/the PTB's doing?

Now of course, at the end of this we see the characters walk off into the sunset and we have no idea if there will ever be a second season? If the series had stopped there it would have been a good ending and fondly remembered, we'd assume the Hellmouth was closed and that our characters would go on to lead fairly ordinary lives. Except for Angel, of course?

Couple of interesting lines. Xander says that if Willow is interested in Buffy she's playing it close to her chest. Cordy remarks that she doesn't know why she and Willow bother with boys and Willow agrees 'I hear you'

5/5 even with the stupid tentacles

• "What Can I Say? I Flunked The Written"

Watching the first season of the terrific 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', I´ve found the show progressing in my point of view. When I first started this show i was mainly focused on the title "Vampire Slayer", and I had a great feeling of disbelief that a show with "VAMPIRE SLAYER" in it´s title could have this excellent character devolupment a genious story and I surely never thought it would be THIS good. Reaching the episode "Angel" , I had no doubts that I would be with this show till the end. I cannot mention enough that Buffy is a show where the vampires play a secondary part on the story. This is a genious teen show that is only second in my favourite teen shows to the Amazingly brilliant Freaks and Geeks.
    While I had severe problems with "The Pack";"Teacher´s Pet" and "I Robot... You Jane", "Angel;"Out of Sight,Out of Mind";"Nightmares" and "Profecy Girl" we´re more than enough to make me want (compulsively) continue.
    This episode is the best out of season 1(which for me sufered for some of the actors;mainly Cordelia and Angel,and the very weak episodes I mentioned early) and for me, it gave a very strong "90´s" feeling that made me wish I had surrendered to this show sooner.
  • Giles learns from an ancient prophecy that Buffy will die when she faces The Master, who is finally about to rise. I don't consider it to be the series classic that some do, but a reasonable finale to the (highly underrated) first season...

This review contains spoilers.

Watching and reviewing the first season of the terrific 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', I've had a number of surprises when reading other people's reviews. Mainly because so many rank this season as if it's terrible – whereas just about any BtVS is good BtVS (especially considering this was done on a much smaller budget, and surely isn't worse than the weak sixth season?!). Secondly because so many strong episodes people seem to dislike (and in a couple of cases, I dislike the few that people rate highly). And that trend kinda continues with this season finale – sure, it's okay, it gets the job done, but I wouldn't necessarily rank it as the all-time classic that some reviewers do. There are far cleverer episodes in the first season, whereas this one for much of the time just kinda consisted of lots of running around and screaming.
    (Oh, and please note, I'm not for a second knocking anyone else's point of view, just putting my own thoughts forward) =)

I do love the first season, for its perfect blend of comedy, drama and mild horror, and champion it against those who bash it. But I'll be the first to admit that one of the weaker points was the shakily-handled season arc regarding the whole Master thing. It never seemed to be developed all that clearly (he would often disappear without mention for a number of episodes), and the whole thing with the Rising was never that clear either; what, is it just that enough people have to be killed and turned into vampires to give him "the power" to rise again? Who knows. And that kinda reflects in this season finale. Yes, it's the much awaited showdown between the Master and Buffy, and don't get me wrong, it's very good, but there just feels to be so much regarding the whole Master plot that was never really filled in, making it maybe a little difficult to fully get behind the events seen here.
    (As some have commented, this was only a 12-episode "half season"; if it was the more typical 22-episode season pattern that would have followed, no doubt the whole Master arc would have been much more developed and fleshed out.)

Anyway, to back up slightly, the episode starts off with Xander trying to be brave enough to ask Buffy to the upcoming prom. This kinda sowed the seeds for many of the more character-driven "emotional" stories that would follow in subsequent seasons. Likewise, when Buffy overhears the prophecy that she will die, we get a very "dramatic" Buffy scene. I know some love this scene; I'm not knocking Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting abilities for a moment, but to be honest, this kinda thing isn't really my cup of tea (how British of me!).

The scene where Willow and Cordelia find the room full of murdered (by vampires) students is very strong and quite unexpected, and is one of the most notable points of the episode.

The second half of the episode covers the final showdown between Buffy and the Master. As commented above, it's all done ably enough, but just didn't seem to me to be as sharp as some of the first season's clever offerings. That said, it's a reasonable enough season finale – I love the shots of the vampires lumbering towards the school (even if it did kinda blur the line between vampire and zombie properties, as the show sometimes did) – and leads to an exciting climax.
    While I kinda try to review episodes for the "here and now", and not continually look further on into the series, later "apocalyptic season finales" would be done on a much grander scale. To remember is, that this was just the first season (heck, this episode was filmed before the first ep even aired, so they didn't know if it would catch on), so things were done on a much smaller budget. And with that in mind, the climax of this episode could have come off far worse.

The end of the episode wraps things up nicely – with the Master defeated (and the library a wreck), all of the characters head off to the Bronze. As mentioned above, due to the first ep not even having aired when this was filmed, it was unknown if the series would be renewed, so this ending served to "tie everything up" in case it was the end. Thankfully, we were treated to six further seasons.

All-in-all, a fair season finale, it gets the job done (and heck, it's the only episode where the main theme plays during the course of the actual episode!), but it just didn't seem as sharp as many episodes of the era for me, and I don't rank it the series classic that some do. That said, it has its moments, and for that I still give it a fair 8.5.

---First season review---

Well, what can be said that hasn't already been said? 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' in many ways changed the face of US TV in the late 1990s, bringing in sharp dialogue, and emotional storylines mixed in with mild horror themes. Was it a comedy? Was it a drama? In truth, it was a bit of both. Soon, there were many imitators and wannabes, but for many of us, BtVS will always be the original and the best.

As mentioned in my review above, some people seem to knock the first season an awful lot. And I personally think it is unjust. Yes the whole Master story arc is handled rather sloppily (and both he and Angel are absent for a number of episodes), but that is made up for by some of the extremely creative storylines, and brought to life by a very able cast. (By the way, do I have a favourite cast member? Back when the series burst onto BBC Two in the U.K. in late 1998, I kinda fancied Willow, kinda wanted to be Xander, but in a way, was mostly drawn to Giles in terms of character – and not just for the whole Brit connection thing).

…But anyway, to return to my original point, sure this season doesn't have the wider-spanning storylines that later seasons would see, but it still has some terrific "stand alone" episodes. In fact – while I know many will disagree with me – in a way I did miss not getting so many of these stand alone tales in later seasons, in favour of the many more "advance the main season plot" instalments.

"Welcome to the Hellmouth" gets the series off to a flying start (broken up into two-parts, with the second titled "The Harvest" for repeat runs), after which comes one of my favourite episodes, the great (and underrated) "Witch". Other personal favourites include "Puppet Show", and in my opinion the best episode of the season is "Out of Sight, Out of Mind". Heck, I even liked "I Robot, You Jane" (which is infamously unpopular in the fan community), though it was let down by an embarrassingly bad final act.
    Only "Nightmares" do I consider to be a dud episode from the season (ironically, some *love* this episode), as it feels to me to be a cheap, last-minute filler. A couple of other episodes (maybe "The Pack", for example) have signs that the series isn't on full form yet, but on the whole, just about every single episode has something to offer; If nothing else, some hilarious lines.

Whether you're a fan of the first season or not, I think it's hard to deny the creativity (especially considering the budget, much smaller than later seasons), the introduction to some great characters, and the often super-sharp scripts. Personally, I love the season... and can't wait to re-live the second season, which sees the show get even better.
  • Season 1, Episode 12.

Giles discovers a prophecy which states that Buffy will face the Master and she will die. OMG, this was a dramatic episode and an amazing season finale. I liked all the drama when Xander asked Buffy to Spring Fling. Then he asked Willow. Aw I felt bad for all of them. Cordelia's boyfriend was smokin' hot though! Rawr! Wow! Buffy set the Master free by going down and facing the Master. She set him free by dying! I loved when Cordelia drove the car through the school. And YAY, Buffy died but she's back! I liked when Giles said, "What's going on?!" and Jenny yelled, "Guess!" Buffy finally defeated the Master! Awesome episode! Great season finale!
  • The climactice season finale!

This is what could convert any person into a buffy fan in my opinion. the episode concludes the first season excelenting and provided suspense, drama humour and all the other elements needed to make a great show. If i were to choose an episode of buffy that was my favourite this would by mine the dynamics are brillaint the thrill of the hellmouths beat in the libary the shock at buffy's temporary death all make it brillaint to watch. apart from buffy (sarah michelle geller) looking very hot and buetifulin this episode the story sums up everything the show is about and gives all the characters a moment in this episode if i were to have done an ending for the show it wouldnt have stemmed much further from this plotline!
  • Buffy dies... don't worry, she comes back two seconds later. But still, two seconds...

Well, here we are. Buffy vs. The Master in a fight that's sure to make you wet yourself. It's prom night in Sunnydale, but it is also prophecy time. The Master (oh my, oh my!) is coming up from the Hellmouth, and Buffy (with her awesome prom dress) goes to the Hellmouth. Unfortunatlely, that's what The Master wanted, and he kills Buffy and comes upstairs. Thankfully, Buffy comes back to life to stop the Hellmouth. As she approaches the school, they start playing the theme song and I get a cuddle surge, waiting to see what happens. And then, Buffy kills The Master, and that's about it. This episode really had everything for me. We get some super-d-duper action, we get to see Jenny again (hey Jenny, how have you been) and we also got me to scream at the TV screen every time there would be a commercial. In a nut shell, Buffy is an amazing show, and, without a doubt, this is the best episode so far. Have a great summer Buffy!
  • Buffy's Her Own Master

Prophecy Girl-Giles discovers an ancient prophecy which states that Buffy will face The Master and she will die. Upon hearing this, Buffy breaks down and tries to quit her Slayer duties. But when vampires massacre a group of students on campus, she realizes that she must face her destiny in order to save her friends... and the world.

The best episode of the season and a great first season ender, "Prophecy Girl" rips up this short season nice and tight, but also bringing up some real dramatic developments. This is the most evetful episode the whole season as the Master finally makes his finale move to escape his prison and go to the surface. I especially loved the apocalypse-ness of the episode like the earthquake in the teaser with Master.

Like I said, the first time we see some real drama among the characters and this is where the actors begin to show how good they are. The scene with Xander finally asking Buffy out only to get rejected is sad to watch as you know Xander was only setting himself up to get hurt. Both Sarah and Nicholas played the scene well. Then there's Willow trying to comfort Xander and Giles desperately trying to stop Buffy from facing her death. The scene where Buffy hears about her death from Angel and Giles was one of the best scenes so far of the series. Already shows she's a much capable actress as she conveys Buffy's anger and pain about losing her life at such a young age. Anthony and David also play so well off her.

There are also some disturbing scenes like Willow and Cordelia seeing the mini-massacre of the lounge at the high school. Other great scenes that stand-out is the vampire army marching toward the school and the Hellmouth demon attacking Willow in the library as the Hellmouth opens. But the best part is Buffy confronting the Master, the fear in her eyes as he bites her is terrifying. Also, the way he just says "ohh yeah, nice dress" after he kills her is brilliant! It was also a welcome to see Xander and Angel work together especially how Xander brought Buffy back to life. The final fight with the Master is great one and Buffy little jokes as she fights him like "You have fruit punch mouth" are hilarious. Also, the way Buffy kills the Master and the way he dies is very cool yet invetive how his bones remain when his dusted. All and All, a wonderful finale that has some great drama, character interaction, fight scenes and moments.
  • Buffy faces the Master

Poor Buffy. She always knew that being a slayer would probably mean a short life, but she finds out in this episode that she is meant to die against the master. She finds out the worst way possible, she overhears Angel and Giles discussing it. She does what any normal girl would do in that situation; she quits. But knowing Buffy as we do, she doesn't quit for long. When the master and his goons up the stakes and slaughter a group of boys in the school, Buffy steps up. She does end up dying, but is brought back by Xander (GO XANDER!) and ends up making short work of the master. Awesome way to end season 1.
  • Buffy faces the Master.

This episode was the perfect season finale, especially for a series like this one. I loved it. It was filled with so much drama and suspense. I was so amazed by this episode. I can't believe that Buffy died. Of course, she was resurrected when Angel and Xander found her. This episode was fantastic. It is an amazing finale and the perfect ending for the first season. This episode was a perfect installment to the first season and to this amazing series. This episode is classic Buffy. It was perfect. This episode is definately a series classic and one of the best episodes ever.
  • Signs shows the end of the world is nearing. Giles comes across a prophecy that Buffy is destined to die. She finds out, gets mad, but gets past it and goes to face the master. She does die but is revived by Xander. She ends up defeasting the Master.

Words can barely describe this amazing episode.

When I was younger and the show was first on I always watched it. I now have it on DVD up to season 4 and throughout all those episodes this is still one of my favorites.

It has everything that is needed to make a perfect episode. I love the plot with the master, the twists, and the acting.

Sarah Michelle Ghellar had one of the best scenes in all of the series I think. When she finds out that she is prophesized to die, her exporessions, tone of voice, sadness, and anger all come out perfect. It is a moving scene which I love to watch over and over again.
  • what a season finale

i love buffy. this is one of the best shows. well in this episode buffy needs to fight and kill the master of the vampires to stop the ancient prophcey. buffy dies but comes back to life. than vampires are attacking sunnydale high school. and there is a giant monster in the library. and giles and the others are fighting it. i love how buffy killed the master it was funny when she said u got fruit punch mouth. lol. what a season finale i loved it.
  • One of the best episodes of the series.

The gang seem to be separated from each other, but in the end they gather to defeat The Master and his plan to dominate the earth. Willow has been supportive of Buffy during the entire season, even when her own life was in peril. When she becomes particularly distressed by what she sees in the audio/visual room (the image of the bloody handprint on the television screen is chilling) she talks about it to Buffy. Buffy recognizes that she must sacrifice her own desire (to remain safe) to help Willow and her fellow students have a good prom (oh, yeah, and this will SAVE THE WORLD, too!). Xander talks to Angel about his feelings for Buffy, and they work together to rescusitate her lifeless body. Cordy, Willow, Jenny & Giles all work together, too, to assist Buffy's efforts to kill The Master. No 'I' in this team, baby!
  • The end to a season! And what an end!

Buffy final defeats the master and it has cost her. As it said in the prophecy Buffy had to die o allow the Master to be free, but she got him back with avengance.

When she had been brought back to life she said she felt different, I wonder what that will bring for the new season. I hope there will be some attitude changes.

Xander finally tolf Buffy that he loved her and Angel also knows that he hates him. That is surely going to cause some tension in the next season. Also Cordelia seems to have seen rather a lot in the last few episodes, surely she will become part of the scooby gang.

The only thing that annoys me in this episode is the fact that Buffy's dress, nice as it is, always seems to remain spotless. After all the things she has been through you would have thouh it woud be at least a bit dirty or creased.
  • Okay it's been along time since I've written a 10 review

This was just an amazing episode of Buffy. It was an amazing season finale. Buffy dying was done so perfectly and then Xander being the hero and bringing her back because Angel couldn't made it that much more amazing.

I loved how Giles freaked out about the prophecy that said Buffy was going to die and how he talked to Angel about it.

I loved Buffy's prom dress very nice.

I loved Buffy wacking Giles and telling him that she had to go and face the master even after she had given him a speech abot how she was only 16 and didn't want to die. And Buffy asking Jenny to tell Giles something cool and say that she said it was just enough humor to lighten the situation but not ruin it.

Buffy telling the Master at the end when he said he thought she was dead but at least she was still pretty which was more than she could say for him was classic Buffy I'm pissed off and you're gonna die.

I loved this one definatly an episode to go down in Buffy history.
  • Buffy saves the world...and dies...

The apocalypse is coming. According to the Codex Buffy is going to fight the master and she is going to die. There have been a ton more vamps and killings in Sunnydale and Giles and Jenny find the Codex that talks about Buffy dying and the Master rising. Giles tells this to Angel and Buffy overhears, causing her to want to quit. She is sixteen and doesn’t want to die. It’s the night of the big dance and Xander is upset that Buffy didn’t want to go with him. But Buffy tells them they all have to go in case it’s the last dance. Buffy goes to fight the Master underground. He bites her and she falls into a puddle. The Master is now free – the group gets separated – Xander revives Buffy through CPR and other fend of vamps on their way back to the library. Things are getting worse when a huge monster comes up through the floor of the library. Everyone starts hitting the monster while Buffy takes on the Master who is surprised she isn’t dead. Buffy kills that Master and all the vamps and the monster disappear. Buffy sums it up great. “We saved the world. I say we party.”
  • Season finale.

This is the first season finale and a prophecy tells that Buffy will die while fighting the Master. She decides to quit her Slaying job but when a group of students are murdered, she decides to fight and finish the Master once and for all. She ends up dying, but she is revived by Angel and Xander and she gets a strong feeling that she can take on the Master and the get into one last fight and Buffy pushes him into a window and he falls on something pointy and dies. A great ending to the first season.
  • Great ending.

A great ending to the first season. I think they really mastered the art of the season finale from season finale number one. To me the season finales were always the crowning moments of tv shows and sometimes that it hard to bank, especially year after year. Sometimes doing a great ending to season can make you lose momentum the next year or even tank on the next finale. But not Buffy!
  • The best episode this season.

Prophecy girl is in my opinion the best episode of Buffy’s first season, it’s a lot darker then all the previous episodes we have seen, you don’t see as much of the humour talk which we had earlier and in this episode you don’t need that.

Prophecy Girl will end the story off the Master, Buffy hears she will die if she faces him and she decides to quit her job as the Slayer. This reaction is very understandable and Sarah Michelle Gellar did a great job in this episode. The next part of the episode is about how Buffy finally does accept her responsibility and will face the Master.

It’s nice to see Robia LaMorte back as Jenny Calender, we don’t really have the chemistry between her and Giles in this episode but that’s because of the Apocalypse.

I’ve always loved Mark Metcalf as the Master and I would have loved to have seen him some more, I think if season one had been a full season of 22 episodes we would have seen more dept to the Master story.

As the season 1 finally this episode is great, everyone acted superb and together with the story that’s what makes this episode so good.
  • Buffy faces her destiny... which is to die!

An fantastic episode that tied up Buffy's arc vs. the Master (which in itself was never all it could have been). When she learns she is fated to face the Master and be killed, she bolts.

When her classmates are killed on school grounds and found by the vulnerable and now deeply frightened Willow, however she rallies and goes to face the Master. And, shock, he kills her just as foretold!

This is just a killer episode pushing emotional buttons from the way cool opening slaying of a vampire (in Slow Motion with Buffy smirking all the way) to the devastating moment in the library. This is Sarah Michelle Gellar's episode and she shows the audience (and maybe the creative staff) that she can take a emotionally powerful moment and make it her own. Usually the cry scenes go to Aly's Willow, but Sarah shows that given the proper meaty material she can match her.

"So that's it, huh? I remember the drill. One Slayer dies, next one's called. I wonder who she is? Will you train her, or, will they send someone else? Do they say how he'll kill me? Do ya think'll it hurt?"

Following her though is Willow's own scene which has just as much power after she finds the bodies and is talking to Buffy in her bedroom.

And let's not forget the moment when the Master is standing behind Buffy: "If you didn't come, I couldn't go. (whispers in her ear) Think about THAT." And then he sinks his fangs into her.

The other characters also react well to the story putting in great performances from Giles reacting to Buffy's tirade in the library to the scene between Xander and Angel.

Just phenomenal television. An episode I can watch repeatedly.
  • Buffy learns an anciet prophecy That states she will soon face the master and die.

Okay clevery plotted a good season finale but there are a few bloopers! (easy to spot) this was the first episode rated tv-14 due to violence and the highest rated episode yet good lots of drama and gore good action and goofy lines. This is more like a cliffhanger because in season 2 the plan is to bring back the master after she kills him and there is no statement of her going to la
  • This is a great way to finish season one, with character development, ect.

“Prophecy Girl” is season ones brilliant finale. Lots of things happen: The Master is back with the Anointed One. Its Prom time in Sunnydale and Xander gets turned down by Buffy. Buffy has a showdown with The Master, and dies. Xander saves her life by performing C.P.R. The Hellmouth gets opened up (and it looks a bit like the pit monster form Return of the Jedi), Buffy kicks The Masters butt thus killing him (because he’s powerful his bones remain- this plays a big part in season 2). Cordelia and Mrs Calendar become apart of the inner circle so to speak. This is a great way to finish season one, with character development, ect.
  • A great ending for a not that great season

Prophecy Girl ends the season surprsingly good. I don't know if it's Joss's presence in the director's chair, but this episode is so more entetaining than the rest of the season... Everything evolves better. The action sequences are more pleasant to the eye and to the heart, that doesn't stop jumping.
    Buffy dies and ressurects. What else can be said to show how incredible it is. A great arc starts here. All of the thing they made us believe since the welcome party changes in that exact moment: there are two of them now. And Whedon just loves to change everything in the end. For some, this episode would propably the last. So, what does the man do? Changes the prophecy. In the actual series finale? Changes it again. This guy brain is incredible.
    A classic, no doubt. Something to remember.
  • "I may be dead but I'm still pretty, which is more than I can say for you."

This is the finale of season 1 of Buffy and let me just say it goes out with one hell of an episode. I REALLY love this episode, so much happens. Xander confesses his feelings for Buffy, The Master rises, Buffy dies, Buffy comes back to life, the hellmuth is opened, overall just a very big, exciting episode of Buffy. This episode is written, directed, and acted brilliantly. Everyone is great in this episode, from Buffy finding out she was gonna die to finally excepting her fate to then facing the master, Xander being rejected by Buffy then in turn saving her, Willow's reaction to Xander asking her to got to the dance with her and her sadness from she saw the vampires did to her friends at school, I mean they all had alot to work with in this episode and they really did. I love the way the end of the episode it just became really fun and exciting with all the vampires and the hellmouth and just alot of things breaking and smashing through things, I mean this really just became a fun episode in the end. It even has a really cheesy yet loveable part where Buffy, Xander and Angel are walking torwards the school and the theme music comes on loud, I mean it was a bit cheesy but I still loved it. Overall this was an amazing end to a great first season of Buffy.
  • A great season finally. This episode puts the whole season in a complete new atmosphere. From really great, to untouchable.

This episode is just great. In every aspect.
    First Xander practices his “love speech” for Buffy with Willow, not knowing, how hard that is for her. Then the big moment has come and he talks to Buffy. It’s one of the heartbreaking moments in this episode. I mean Xander really finds the right words (maybe the only time in this season), even when it’s get harsh to the end. Then we see Willow stand up for her for one of the first times ever. Well for Buffy the situation isn’t easy too, so when she hears Giles and Angel talking about her end, she’s already in a fragile state of motion. So she has to break down, it’s inevitable. Well after she was home and has to recognize she can’t run, and might have lost her friends (potential Xanader, Giles and Angel) and then Willow is so scared about all, she forces Buffy to accept it all. There’s nothing left for her. She might survive a world of darkness, but she would be alone, so its better she ends it all, end gets killed. Well it’s a funny scene when she knocks out Giles.
    Well the fight between Buffy and the Master has two parts. In the first part, everything is as we heard it in the prophecy. So Buffy dies. After the CTR of Xander the Master can’t control her anymore, because he only has the power over the slayer (and she isn’t the actual slayer anymore, the next one is). So she finally finds her strength to fight.
    Well I didn’t like how the hell mouth looked, but this fact is compensated by the great score and well, also the clothing of all persons, especially Buffy, when she going to die in her beautiful white dress. She can die in innocence. Perfect till the bitter end. After the master is dead, she looks more like an angel, who saved the world, in it.
    Well it’s kind of a really sad story, but it touches me all the time, when I watch it. That’s what makes it so great.
  • As Buffy goes head to head with the Master, has she finally met her match or will she be able to save Sunnydale one more time. Either way, it will provide compulsive viewing.

In this fantastic episode we see Buffy go head to head with the Master in the all action series finale... will she be able to defeat it, or has Buffy finally met her match.

This is my favourite episode from the first season, the plot involves many twists as Buffy figures out how to overcome her biggest opponent to date, and the Scoobies must band together(with Cordelia) to overcome the dangerous times ahead.

This episode (as it states above)is exactly why I love Buffy - it has a well defined plot, great action scenes, emotions that will tear your heart out, great comedy moments - but above all a story that makes Buffy irresistable to watch. Absoloutely awesome.
  • Buffy fights The Master in the season 1 finale.

Xander tells Buffy how he feels about him and asks her to the Spring Fling. When she declines him, saying she only sees him as a friend, he gets upset and asks Willow, who also turns him down because she knows he'd only be wishing she was Buffy the whole night.

All the while, weirder than normal things start happening at Sunnydale. An earthquake, blood running from the faucet. Signs that the Master is going to rise.

Reading through The Codex, the book Angel loaned him, Giles finds a prophecy that states that Buffy will face the Master and die the next night. Giles calls Angel in a panic, and while the two are worriedly arguing and trying to come up with ways to overt Buffy's devastating fate as stated in the prophecy, Buffy overhears the heart-wrenching news.

*Buffy, laughing: "So thats it, huh? I remember the drill. One slayer dies, next one's called. Wonder who she is? Will you train her, or will they send someone else?"
    *Giles: "Buffy, I-"
    *Buffy: "They say how he's gonna kill me? Do you think it'll hurt?"

Angel walks towards her.

*Buffy: "Dont touch me! Were you even gonna tell me?"
    *Giles: "I was hoping that I wouldn't have to. That there was some way around it."
    *Buffy: "I've got a way around it. I quit."
    *Angel: "It's not that simple."
    *Buffy: "I'm making it that simple. I quit. I resign. I'm fired. You can find someone else to stop the Master from taking over."
    *Giles: "I'm not sure that anyone else can. All the signs indicate-"
    *Buffy,crying and throwing books: "The signs? Read me the signs! Tell me my fortune! You're so useful sitting here with all of your books! You're really a lot of help!"
    *Giles: "No, I don't suppose I am."
    *Angel: "I know this is hard.
    *Buffy: "What do you know about this? You're never gonna die."
    *Angel: "You think I want anything to happen to you? Do you think I could stand it? We just gotta figure out a way."
    *Buffy: "I already did. I quit, remember? Pay attention!"
    *Giles: "Buffy, if the Master rises-"
    *Buffy, rippping off her cross: "I dont care! I don't care. Giles I'm 16 years old. I don't wanna die."

Buffy storms out of the library and heads home. She talks with her mom, who convinces her to go to the dance after surprising her with a beautiful white gown, not knowing her daughter's dreadful fate which has yet to come. Buffy gets dressed, and heads to the library, where Giles has already made up his mind that he will face the master instead of Buffy.

Buffy punches Giles nd knocks him out cold, knowing that to be the only thing that could have stopped him. She leaves and runs into the annointed one, a child who will lead her to the Master. Once she arrives, the annointed one leaves her. She shoots her crossbow and almost hits the Master, but he is too quick for her. He tells her that she just the lamb. He says that if she hadn't come, he wouldn't have been able to leave. He has control over her. He bites her and she falls into a pool of water.

Meanwhile, Giles awakens on the floor of the library and calls Willow and Xander for backup. Xander heads to Angel's apartment to get help in finding Buffy and the Master. Willow, Giles, and Jenny research and find that when the Master rises, vampires will gather at the hellmouth and form an army. Willow and Jenny leave to go to the Bronze, thinking it to be the Hellmouth, but run into a mob of vampires outside of the school. It turns out that the mouth of hell is the library. They hop in Cordelia's car and crash through the school walls to head for safety.

Xander and Angel arrive too late. Buffy is already dead. She has no pulse. But there's a chance that she has drowned. Because Angel lacks breath, Xander has to give Buffy CPR and he revives her. They think she's weak, but she's actually stronger. As the rockin' Nerf Herder theme song blares in the background, the three head to the school to stop the Master.

The Master is on the roof top, watching as the hellmouth opens and a wormy snake type demon arises out of it. Giles, Jenny, Willow, and Cordelia struggle while trying to keep away from the hellmouth and keep vampires out of the library. Buffy heads to the roof, where she battles it out with the Master for the second time.

*The Master: "You're dead!"
    *Buffy: "I may be dead, but I'm still pretty. Which is more than I can say for you."

Seeing a sharp piece of wood below through the glass ceiling, Buffy gets ready.

*Buffy: "If you're that amped about hell, go there!"

The Master crashes through the ceiling and is staked right through the heart. Oddly, his bones remain. As the group recooperates and gathers around the bones, they all look exhausted. They discuss what to do now that they've averted the apocolypse.

*Buffy: "We saved the world. I say we party!"

And the gang heads out to go to the Spring Fling at the Bronze. Angel tells Buffy that he likes her dress, and we are left with a final thrill as the camera closes out on the bones of the Master.

The season 1 finale of Buffy The Vampire Slayer was a fine example of why I watch this series. The show has action, adventure, mystery, humor, love, drama, and more! It has every single element a show could have, and the depth behind all of the characters is just amazing. I loved how Xander confessed his love for Buffy, and how Willow stood up for herself and refused to go with him just as a friend. I enjoyed seeing more of Cordelia's character, and her helping the gang. I enjoyed seeing how Giles and Angel cared for Buffy so much. I loved the tensity between Xander and Angel, and the new love blossoming betweeen Giles and Jenny. It was great seeing such an emotional side to Buffy, and seeing her talk with her mother. Buffy may have died, but that will prove to be yet another obstacle for her in the next season.

I just loved this finale. It made me cry, it made me laugh, and it made me sorry that I'd have to wait a whole summer to see the next season. Definately a favorite episode!
  • a MASTER-ful ending to season 1!

One of the great things about "Prophecy Girl" is that it examines one of my favorite themes: that attempts to change the future are destined not only to fail, but to fulfill the future that was trying to be changed. Of course this theme is in the spotlight with the new Star Wars movie, and this being one of it's central themes, but I think this episode does a better job of handling the subject than Star Wars did, partly because everyone knows that Anakin is destined to become Darth Vader. And yes, even though Buffy does "die" in this episode, she is quickly brought back to life through Xander's noble deeds and goes on to kick the Master's butt big time. A perfect ending to the season.
< 1 2